PDA

View Full Version : Life Sufferers of Tinnitus unite

Archie F. Swin
04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
I can't even stand to be in a silent room. Must have noise to mask the ringing in my ears.

Dartgod
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I have it bad. Too much blaring rock and roll as a young man.

Warrior5
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Ditto.

Archie F. Swin
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Been playing drums for 23 years....probably has something to do with it!

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 12:27 PM

My dad has the same thing. But replace rock music with tractors and you're spot on.

He actually had surgery when I was a kid (mid-80s) that replaced 2 of the 3 bones in his ear and cleaned out the scar tissue. One ear worked wonders, the other ear made it worse and if his head gets impacted, his ears ring for a week and he's disoriented for an hour or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

excessive
04-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I like to think of it as always being at the lake house in the summer. The pleasant sounds of night are always there to soothe me and put me to sleep.

It's just when those damn cicadas start their incessant whining does it become annoying.

wilas101
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I like to think of it as always being at the lake house in the summer. The pleasant sounds of night are always there to soothe me and put me to sleep.

It's just when those damn cicadas start their incessant whining does it become annoying.

I have some hearing loss in my left ear. I can hear both high and low frequencies but nothing mid-range.

When they start their noise I just roll over and put my right ear in the pillow and voila. No more cicadas. Can't hear one little peep of them, their frequency is perfectly matched to what I can't hear.

Amnorix
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I find it helps drown out the constant noise of my two little kids. :)

Seriously, it's annoying, but I usually don't even notice. I'm really affected at higher ranges of frequency, however, and if I'm at a bar or nightclub or anyplace else noisy, I can't have a normal conversation to save my life. I'm basically deaf to everything except all that background noise. Oy.

And I never blared music or went to rock concerts as a kid. :shrug:

Pants
04-09-2009, 12:53 PM

and if I'm at a bar or nightclub or anyplace else noisy, I can't have a normal conversation to save my life. I'm basically deaf to everything except all that background noise. Oy.

Wait, that's not normal?

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I can't even stand to be in a silent room. Must have noise to mask the ringing in my ears.

I'm like this when I sleep. I can not sleep in absolute silence. Need a loud fan running or a TV, then I can sleep like a baby.

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm like this when I sleep. I can not sleep in absolute silence. Need a loud fan running or a TV, then I can sleep like a baby.

Gonzo
04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
What?

petegz28
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM

no such thing

Dartgod
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
no such thing
OK, A lot of blaring rock and roll.

Better?

Archie F. Swin
04-09-2009, 03:18 PM
either I have Tinnitus or I'm the only human that can hear dog whistles

Hog Farmer
04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I have it BAD. Mine started about a year ago.

Loud rock and roll as a youth.
Massive amounts of gunfire.
Screaming sows. anybody ever been in a barn of sows screaming for dinner. they say the decibal level is that of a jet.

It's the worst when you put your head on a pillow trying to go to sleep.

I hve to take melatonin EVERY night.

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I have it BAD. Mine started about a year ago.

Loud rock and roll as a youth.
Massive amounts of gunfire.
Screaming sows. anybody ever been in a barn of sows screaming for dinner. they say the decibal level is that of a jet.

It's the worst when you put your head on a pillow trying to go to sleep.

I hve to take melatonin EVERY night.

I have HF. They are loud squealing bitches.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoHuge
04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Tinnitus is usually caused from a high frequency hearing loss. I'm a PA for an ENT. The only real treatment for it is usually some type of hearing aid. Rebuilding the OCR (Ossicular chain) Malles, Stapes, Incus usually doesn't help much unless you've had some type of blunt trauma to the head or an acute or chronic process which could be, but not limited to otitis media, cholesteatoma, mastoiditis, etc.....Don't waste your money on hocus pocus cures because that's exactly what you'll be doing. Go get a baseline audiogram and see an ENT if the problems persist. There is no known cure for tinnitus.

PM me if you have any questions.

Dartgod
04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Tinnitus is usually caused from a high frequency hearing loss. I'm a PA for an ENT. The only real treatment for it is usually some type of hearing aid. Rebuilding the OCR (Ossicular chain) Malles, Stapes, Incus usually doesn't help much unless you've had some type of blunt trauma to the head or an acute or chronic process which could be, but not limited to otitis media, cholesteatoma, mastoiditis, etc.....Don't waste your money on hocus pocus cures because that's exactly what you'll be doing. Go get a baseline audiogram and see an ENT if the problems persist. There is no known cure for tinnitus.

PM me if you have any questions.
What is an ENT?

"Bob" Dobbs
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Ear Nose & Throat?

Dartgod
04-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Ear Nose & Throat?
Ahhhhh, should have guessed. Thanks.

googlegoogle
04-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Wikipedia sucks half the time. Moderators there are becoming real ass holes.

"In many cases, however, no underlying physical cause can be identified."

You know it has something to do with ear sound sensing hairs.

Dave Lane
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM

ditto your ditto

Paniero
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm in. Yay assault rifle fire!

Buck
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
My mother has this and I think I am starting to get it. I am hearing noises all the time and I'm starting to have a constant static noise sound in my ears.

I have to have my computer, tv, or a fan on at all times so there is some other noise I can listen to.

tecumseh
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Amps n' drums n' screamin P.A.s. in my youth. Some hearing loss in my left ear. The buzzing doesn't bother me much.

HemiEd
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM

That and driving a drag car for years, and one weekend with few boxes of ammo and a 22 mag pistol did me in. Flight duty in the NAVY didn't help much either.

Extra Point
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Crickets

In winter.

I've been dry for 6 weeks. The crickets started chirping 3-4 weeks ago. They've been dormant for about 35 years.

alnorth
03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Had it my whole life, not sure where it came from, but it was first pointed out to me that I had a problem at a routine hearing screening in elementary school.

Fortunately, mine isn't too bad. Its a high ring, which I understand is a lot easier to ignore and a lot less annoying than buzzing or static. I'm fine in a fairly quiet room, I only really notice it in complete silence, and even then it doesn't bother me at all unless I'm trying to sleep. (I use a rain noisemaker)

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
That and driving a drag car for years, and one weekend with few boxes of ammo and a 22 mag pistol did me in. Flight duty in the NAVY didn't help much either.

I think you've got it all covered if you lived downstairs from Ozzy Osbourne for a while.

MoreLemonPledge
03-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.centrecountyrecycles.com/Recycle/AutoWaste/images/Afreezecolor.jpg

Rain Man
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
My ears are fine, but I suffer from visual tinnitus. Whenever I read, every other word is EEEEEEEEE!

mikey23545
03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Seriously, it's annoying, but I usually don't even notice. I'm really affected at higher ranges of frequency, however, and if I'm at a bar or nightclub or anyplace else noisy, I can't have a normal conversation to save my life. I'm basically deaf to everything except all that background noise. Oy.

And I never blared music or went to rock concerts as a kid. :shrug:

Identical.

mikey23545
03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Serenesound.com

HemiEd
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
I think you've got it all covered if you lived downstairs from Ozzy Osbourne for a while.

:D Black Sabbath was the only 8 track I had for a while, and it was blasting as loud as it would go, when the van was in motion most of the time. Saw them in concert twice.

IRON MAN!

listopencil
03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Followers of Unitas tonight?

stonedstooge
03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Anyone know about remolding or re-fitting hearing aids? Is it possible, or are there any companies out there that specialize in this?

Groves
03-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Had it my whole life, not sure where it came from, but it was first pointed out to me that I had a problem at a routine hearing screening in elementary school.

Fortunately, mine isn't too bad. Its a high ring, which I understand is a lot easier to ignore and a lot less annoying than buzzing or static. I'm fine in a fairly quiet room, I only really notice it in complete silence, and even then it doesn't bother me at all unless I'm trying to sleep. (I use a rain noisemaker)

This is where I live, too. I've had it almost as far back as I can remember.

Hight pitched ring.

Bowser
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I definitely have this. Annoying as hell.

But good news, everyone! They make a pill that will clear this right up! Ah, the miracles of modern medicine!

http://supplementspot.com/-c-30/clear-tinnitus-60-capsules-p-785

kepp
03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I definitely have this. Annoying as hell.

But good news, everyone! They make a pill that will clear this right up! Ah, the miracles of modern medicine!

http://supplementspot.com/-c-30/clear-tinnitus-60-capsules-p-785

Lots of roots & bark in that. I should just go outside and gnaw on some trees.