PDA

View Full Version : Life Heart Surgery

penguinz
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
My step-dad is waiting to have a 5-way bypass. :(

Radar Chief
04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Kansas Heart Hospital? Thatís the best place for him.
My dad is part of the zipper club also. Best of luck bud.

penguinz
04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I think it is going to be at StJoseph

Stinger
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
My father had this procedure as well several years ago. It is amazing what they are able to do. It always scary when a loved one goes under the knife, but I know it is not routine surgery but take heart many of these are done daily with great results. Good luck to you and your Dad during this time.

Scorp
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I think it is going to be at StJoseph

That is the worst hospital I know of. I am dead serious, that is where people go to die.

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
That is the worst hospital I know of. I am dead serious, that is where people go to die.

JFC you need to be a motivational speaker.

EyePod
04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Too bad it wasn't just a 5-way instead of a 5-way bypass....

penguinz
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
That is the worst hospital I know of. I am dead serious, that is where people go to die.Hopefully you will be the next one to die.

Gonzo
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM

This...

I know some of the doctors there. I worked there for a time.

Scorp
04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Hopefully you will be the next one to die.

I lost two parents at the St. Joseph hospital. I caught a nurse cussing my mother out because she wet the bed again. I guess having brain cancer isn't good enough reason to lose bladder control.

I gave you an honest opinion of that hospital and you respond like that? I won't say what I want to right now.

Pants
04-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I lost two parents at the St. Joseph hospital. I caught a nurse cussing my mother out because she wet the bed again. I guess having brain cancer isn't good enough reason to lose bladder control.

I gave you an honest opinion of that hospital and you respond like that? I won't say what I want to right now.

Wow... so sorry to hear that. I don't know what I would've done to that nurse if I were you.

istas
04-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I had five by-pass surgery about 18 months ago. About 3 days of hell after surgery, but I recovered very fast after that. Have someone there with him to help out if you can, at least during the daytime. The nurses can get very busy with other patients and he won't be able to do much for himself. If the pain gets too bad between pain killers, have him ask for a morphine shot. It really helped out.

I was out of work for about 10-12 weeks though. Couldn't lift much for 3 months. If he's in good shape and health otherwise, he'll recover with no problems.

penguinz
04-09-2009, 03:47 PM

I gave you an honest opinion of that hospital and you respond like that? I won't say what I want to right now.Sorry to hear about your parents but as far as your first comment you can go fuck yourself for all I care.

Skip Towne
04-09-2009, 03:52 PM
My dad died of a heart attack the year before they started doing by passes.

Saggysack
04-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd say Riverside is the worst, followed by a tie between St.Joe and St.Francis. Via Christi just sucks overall. Not saying Wesley is great and much better than the others. Each have their pros and cons.

RJ
04-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Dude, that was a highly inappropriate post.

RJ
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
penguinz, best wishes to your step dad and your family. While there are certainly no guarantees, these surgeries are almost routine these days.

Luke
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I had five bypass done in 2001. University of Missouri. It was kind of an emergency so a Dr. from the VA did the actual cutting. They will normally take veins from a leg to do the replumbing. While this is a major surgery, I did not have as much pain as you might think. Morphine is a wonderful drug. The worst part of the whole deal was the first time I sneezed after being home.
Best wishes from here in Mid-Missouri!

CaliforniaChief
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I'll be sure to say a prayer for him, your family, and also for those who make careless and untimely comments.

munkey
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I just lost my last living uncle day before yesterday to a major heart attack. It's not like it doesn't run in the family as my brother and cousins are all on medication for it but he was heavy and though on meds and active didn't take care of himself.

So...All I can really say is encourage him to stay on a good diet for the rest of his life...as his life will now depend on it and 10 years goes by REALLY fast and a lot can happen if you don't take care of yourself.

Radar Chief
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
penguinz, best wishes to your step dad and your family. While there are certainly no guarantees, these surgeries are almost routine these days.

Yea penguinz, it really is.
It'll be a tense time for a while but the success rate for this type of surgery is good. My dad had a five way bypass also and once healed he said he hadn't felt that good in years, because he suddenly more circulation than he'd had in years.

Scorp
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Dude, that was a highly inappropriate post.

Please explain why? True statement.

patteeu
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Because it was an insensitive way of conveying the information. And because it wasn't a true statement, it was hyperbole.

patteeu
04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Good luck, penguinz. In all likelihood, it will go without a hitch.

bogey
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
My Father had a triple bipass several years ago. My Mom, my 5 brothers and sisters and I were standing around his bed when he woke up. I'll never forget this, he slowly opened his eyes looked around at all of us, and said, "I'm surrounded by angels".

He came out of the surgery stronger than ever. Good luck to your step Dad. I'll keep positive thoughts.

Sully
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM

You really don't know?
Seriously?

That's fucked up.

Best wishes Pens.

Scorp
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
You really don't know?
Seriously?

That's ****ed up.

Best wishes Pens.

Ok........I guess I should have said great choice. That hospital rules and your father will live to be 150 years old.:spock:

penguinz
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks to all the people here that are decent human beings.

Scorp... I just feel sorry for you now.

Sully
04-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Ok........I guess I should have said great choice. That hospital rules and your father will live to be 150 years old.:spock:

Or you couldve not said anything. Wow.

ROYC75
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
My step-dad is waiting to have a 5-way bypass. :(

You have our thoughts and prayers .

googlegoogle
04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
These threads make me disappointed in government and the lack of public outcry on making betablockers or a polypill for the heart affordable and for 'everyone' if you consume a nonvegetarian diet.

penguinz
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Surgery went well. Ended up being a 7-way :s

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow, good to hear it went well.

RJ
04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
That's good news, penguinz, best of luck to your step dad with the recovery. When my grandfather had a bypass, the hardest part was getting him to do what he was supposed to afterwards. He'll need to get out to do some walking and such.....unless things have changed in the past 20 years.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but I hear grabbing a nurse's ass is good for the circulation.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 08:24 PM

how is everything going? have been saying prayers

JazzzLovr
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Seven! Wow! Glad the surgery went well. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.