PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs’ Beisel plans to be a positive influence

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Chiefs’ Beisel plans to be a positive influence (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1134855.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Monty Beisel returned to the Chiefs last month after an absence that covered only four years but might as well have been a lifetime.

The Chiefs now have a new general manager and a different set of coaches than when Beisel played in Kansas City. Only three players — Tony Gonzalez, Brian Waters and Larry Johnson — remain.

Beisel, too, has changed. A former Kansas State star, Beisel always looked out of place during his first time around in Kansas City, changing positions from defensive end to linebacker and not making much of an impact at either spot.

In the interim four seasons, Beisel played with playoff teams with New England and Arizona. He returns with a definite purpose: Helping the Chiefs on special teams and perhaps as a situational linebacker but also showing their many young players the way.

“As a young player when I was growing up, I was looking at the guys ahead of me like Donnie Edwards, Marvcus Patten and Tony Gonzalez, guys that were years ahead of me in the league and to see how they developed themselves and worked to become pros,” Beisel said. “Traveling throughout the league the past four years since I have been gone, being in New England … all New England is is a group of veterans that know how to win and be professional. That is what we developed in Arizona the past couple years, and that is what we are hoping to develop here.

“Bringing guys like myself in here is about teaching the young guys that have talent to learn how to win. The difference between winning and losing in this league is so minute that the smallest thing we do in the offseason might be the difference between winning a game or losing a game during the season. Right now we are trying to develop that chemistry and do what we do so when we are out on that field and we have to make that split-second decision, we can make the winning decision.”

Having played with both the Patriots and Cardinals, Beisel is the one Chiefs player who has worked with both the new general manager, Scott Pioli, and the new head coach, Todd Haley.

Pioli was the personnel director for New England in 2005 when the Patriots signed Beisel away from the Chiefs. Beisel soon landed in Arizona, where Haley coordinated the offense for the last two seasons.

Beisel described both as hands-on.

“That’s what I love about those guys,” he said. “They are the guys down there in the weight room working out with you every day. You could be over on the bench press and they may be on the treadmill getting some work in. That is what it is all about.

“I think the best way to look at both of those guys is to look at what they have done in the past. Obviously, Scott has been in New England for the past number of years and what they have done there developing that program with (coach Bill) Belichick. You could kind of see the type of guys he likes to bring in and develop. I think they are starting to bring in those types of guys here and incorporate into the group of guys we already have.

“With Todd, you look at what he has done over the past couple years with his offense, Kurt (Warner) and those guys. I think a lot of what you have seen in the past, they are what they are. What you see is what you get. It is probably what you are going to see here developing over the next few months.

“We will start to come in here and develop that chemistry and that core group. I think what you saw in the past is what you are going to see in the future.”

Monty Beisel Interview (http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=3720243&f=mokas)

kcfanXIII
04-10-2009, 03:57 AM
maybe he can start by not missing tackles, and generally being a waste of roster space.