PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Morel shrooms

mlyonsd
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Inspiration from the Easter thread has me asking the question....

Anybody finding any morels? And if so where are you located?

It's April 10th and I still have snow in my yard and the ditches in South Dakota.

The wife is getting out the bucket as we speak after seeing Bugeater's pic.

Baconeater
04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Usually we start seeing them the last couple weeks of April, and you have to be at least a couple weeks behind us. It definitely needs to warm up quite a bit here too, old man winter hanging around sure as hell isn't going to help.

Fish
04-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Grandpa used to tell me not to bother hunting morels until the redbuds have bloomed.

Baconeater
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Grandpa used to tell me not to bother hunting morels until the redbuds have bloomed.
What the hell is redbud?

Fish
04-10-2009, 09:31 PM
What the hell is redbud?

http://www.theplant-stand.com/images/redbud_tree_ldce.bmp

Baconeater
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure if we have those here. My Magnolia tree still hasn't started blooming, which is odd.

mlyonsd
04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Usually we start seeing them the last couple weeks of April, and you have to be at least a couple weeks behind us. It definitely needs to warm up quite a bit here too, old man winter hanging around sure as hell isn't going to help.

Its been such a screwy spring it will be interesting to see how they do this year. Last year we did only fair. We hunt them on the Missouri River at places only accessible by boat.

Redneck fun, walking around on a Saturday afternoon with a beer in your hand doing an adult type Easter egg hunt.

Keep me posted, we'll follow your lead once you start finding them. We're about 130 miles north of you.

Wife makes a Cream of Morel with Wild Rice soup if you want the recipe. Any good recipes in return would be appreciated.

mlyonsd
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM

Up here Grandpa used to look for the plum thickets to bloom before he started looking.

Funny how that blooming thing works.

dtebbe
04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
What the hell is redbud?

http://www.fop191.org/community/Marijuana%20Picture%20Resource_files/bud2.jpg

:bong:

Baconeater
04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Its been such a screwy spring it will be interesting to see how they do this year. Last year we did only fair. We hunt them on the Missouri River at places only accessible by boat.

Redneck fun, walking around on a Saturday afternoon with a beer in your hand doing an adult type Easter egg hunt.

Keep me posted, we'll follow your lead once you start finding them. We're about 130 miles north of you.

Wife makes a Cream of Morel with Wild Rice soup if you want the recipe. Any good recipes in return would be appreciated.
The late cold spells aren't good, we had nasty one in the middle of April a couple years ago and that season sucked. Last year was pretty good though. I'll probably go scope things out towards the end of next week, we're supposed to be getting some rain around that time.

As far as cooking them, we usually dip them in egg, roll them in flour and fry in butter. It's not the healthiest thing, but it's damn good. :drool:

Redrum_69
04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I've been getting at least 3-5 pounds of morels every trip.

Hopefully Claythan wont mistake "morel" for "moral" and go on a moral hunt...may take him a few years to find his

Reaper16
04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
As far as cooking them, we usually dip them in egg, roll them in flour and fry in butter. It's not the healthiest thing, but it's damn good. :drool:
Fuck to the yes. That's what I mostly do with them, too.

mlyonsd
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
The late cold spells aren't good, we had nasty one in the middle of April a couple years ago and that season sucked. Last year was pretty good though. I'll probably go scope things out towards the end of next week, we're supposed to be getting some rain around that time.

We skip the egg but do the rest the same. Send me a smoke when you start finding them. I'll start worrying about getting the boat ready then.

Baconeater
04-10-2009, 10:08 PM
We skip the egg but do the rest the same. Send me a smoke when you start finding them. I'll start worrying about getting the boat ready then.
Will do. :thumb:

Simply Red
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Inspiration from the Easter thread has me asking the question....

Anybody finding any morels? And if so where are you located?

It's April 10th and I still have snow in my yard and the ditches in South Dakota.

The wife is getting out the bucket as we speak after seeing Bugeater's pic.

apple-orchards w/ elms on the property.

Simply Red
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM

oh, 'ruby-red?'

Simply Red
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
they're awfully buttery-rich, eehh, i don't think so.....

soundmind
04-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Only once in my life have I had this pleasure and they were FANTASTIC! Only problem being that this experience was in Omaha and I now reside back in KC.

Anyone know somewhere to go relatively close to KC to "hunt" morels? Obviously not looking for them off Troost or anything, but within a reasonable distance to drive.

Fish
04-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Only once in my life have I had this pleasure and they were FANTASTIC! Only problem being that this experience was in Omaha and I now reside back in KC.

Anyone know somewhere to go relatively close to KC to "hunt" morels? Obviously not looking for them off Troost or anything, but within a reasonable distance to drive.

Yeah here let me give you my secret spot..... but don't tell anybody...

ROFL

Baconeater
04-11-2009, 01:19 AM

Unless you have private land to hunt on and you go out with someone who is experienced in it, you'll probably waste your time. It's not something you just go out and do...it took me nearly ten years to find a few areas that regularly produce.

Reaper16
04-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Unless you have private land to hunt on and you go out with someone who is experienced in it, you'll probably waste your time. It's not something you just go out and do...it took me nearly ten years to find a few areas that regularly produce.
Bullcrud. I have been hunting public land with my dad since I was like seven years old.

Baconeater
04-11-2009, 01:26 AM

ROFL
Oh yeah, #1 rule of mushroom hunting is...no one is ever going to give you good advice about mushroom hunting.

I don't care if I've hauled 5 pounds out of an area, if I see another person hunting in the area I always tell them I haven't found shit in hopes that they'll go somewhere else.

Baconeater
04-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Bullcrud. I have been hunting public land with my dad since I was like seven years old.
That's where I hunt too, but when you're fighting every other Tom, Dick and Harry out there you're less likely to find them.

Reaper16
04-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Oh yeah, #1 rule of mushroom hunting is...no one is ever going to give you good advice about mushroom hunting.

I don't care if I've hauled 5 pounds out of an area, if I see another person hunting in the area I always tell them I haven't found shit in hopes that they'll go somewhere else.

That's where I hunt too, but when you're fighting every other Tom, Dick and Harry out there you're less likely to find them.
True, on both counts. Heh.

Nixhex
04-11-2009, 02:18 AM
My dad and I always find plenty of morels in this one place every year. It will not be named. Ha.

googlegoogle
04-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Grow Morel Mushrooms with Elm Trees

Biologist-inventor introduces American Elm Trees that grow morels using patented process

Stewart C. Miller, a former biology teacher turned inventor, has done his homework when it comes to morel mushrooms, a culinary delicacy. And his work is bearing fruit - not only for himself, but for people like him who want to grow their own morels.

Miller has been studying the relationship between morels - also known as sponge mushrooms - and elm, apple and ash trees since 1992. After years of experimentation, he was awarded US Patent Number 6,907,691 B2 in June 2005 for his morel cultivation process.

So how does the morel mushroom ordinarily form in nature? Miller coined the term "symbiotic disruption" to explain this event. A suffering or dying tree stimulates the morel fungus inside the root system, causing it to withdraw. Hardened nodules called "sclerotia" form below the ground, then with sufficient water and warmth in the spring, these sclerotia swell and form a morel mushroom.

Photo of cultivated morel mushroom
An avid morel hunter since childhood, Miller explains that growing morels eliminates the guesswork in judging whether wild morels are safe. At his Morel Farms, which consist of three different parcels of land, including a 45-acre tract near Lafayette, Indiana, Miller is growing a combined total of 2,000 apple, 3,000 ash and 5,000 elm trees. The morel mushroom harvest begins in April or May, depending on climate and region. In a test-plot last fall he planted 1,200 elm trees - inoculated with his patented morel fungus - in an open, well-drained and fertile acre of land. "In seven years, according to our projections," said Miller, "each tree will produce approximately five morels for a total of 6,000 morels. Total income for the project would be approximately $7,500.

"If you divide $7,500 by seven years," said Miller, "the resulting income would be projected at $1,071 per acre. This and other forms of research will verify our predictions of morel production and morel farming as a viable crop after considering all expenses."

The average person, however, doesn't need 45 acres or 1,200 trees to begin growing morel mushrooms. All that's needed is a little bit of land - and at least one of Miller's specially inoculated elm trees.

Anyone interested in raising morels can purchase disease-resistant American elm trees super-inoculated with the morel fungus at http://www.Morel-Farms.com. The trees arrive with instructions on planting, care and how to stimulate morel production. Contact:
Stewart C. Miller
Morel-Farms.com LLC
Stewart@SCMiller.com
1-800-552-6550, ext. 224
http://www.morel-farms.com

Ari Chi3fs
04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't mind finding some of those "other" mushrooms... been a long time, lol

Bob Dole
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
http://thegreatmorel.com/images/2009.jpg

From http://thegreatmorel.com/2009.html

soundmind
04-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah, come to think of it, they harvested them from their hunting/lake property.....well craptastic, I guess this means I have to do the leg work and walkin if I want to find em around here then...

chief husker
04-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't mind finding some of those "other" mushrooms... been a long time, lol

Just back from Amsterdam on Friday;).....

cmh6476
04-11-2009, 10:37 AM

fock you beat me to :)

the real answer...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/LotR4me/Scenic%20Photos/redbud6.jpg

cmh6476
04-11-2009, 10:38 AM

ROFL

not if I fockin beat you there :cuss:

Bob Dole
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
A friend about 100 miles south of KC just reported finding 57 of the tasty little bastards on 4/14.