PDA

View Full Version : Money Background Checks?

BWillie
04-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I want to run a background check on perspective renters that will live in my house. I don't want to pay over $35. All I really care about is criminal and civil stuff. I'm not going to collect peoples social security # though, because, to be honest with you. I wouldn't want to give my social security # out either. I'm going to use the info off of their drivers license. Rep for any assistance. I just don't really want to get carved up and buried in a shallow grave under the interstate

wild1
04-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Every landlord is checking backgrounds with SSN these days. If you're worried maybe give them a privacy statement or let them know you will shred the paper as soon as you're done with it.

Dunit35
04-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I want to run a background check on perspective renters that will live in my house. I don't want to pay over $35. All I really care about is criminal and civil stuff. I'm not going to collect peoples social security # though, because, to be honest with you. I wouldn't want to give my social security # out either. I'm going to use the info off of their drivers license. Rep for any assistance. I just don't really want to get carved up and buried in a shallow grave under the interstate

In Oklahoma, you can look up criminal stuff and what not for free. We're always trying to find somebody we know on the site.

Don't know about Missouri and Kansas though.

2bikemike
04-11-2009, 12:14 AM
As a landlord of a 4 plex I think you would be foolish not to use their SS# you need to do a credit check as well as a background check. Everybody uses SS# don't be afraid to do it. Protect yourself.

I had an inherited tenant when I bought my 4 plex that quit paying her rent. She played the game to the end meaning she hung on for about 4 months while the eviction went through the courts. She never left until the day before the Sherriff came to remove her. I looked her up by her name in the JOCO court system and she had several entries. She knew the system and played the game to the bitter end. I have a judgement against her but I will never collect.

Miles
04-11-2009, 12:23 AM
As a landlord of a 4 plex I think you would be foolish not to use their SS# you need to do a credit check as well as a background check. Everybody uses SS# don't be afraid to do it. Protect yourself.

This.

Shitty tenants are more common than you would think.

DaneMcCloud
04-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Squatter's rights are prevalent in California.

Are they in Kansas?

If so, you'd better spend the extra $15 and do a full background check.

Otherwise, you may wake up and find your $900 car missing.

wild1
04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
i will also add that were i renting and they didn't do a background and/or credit check i would be apprehensive as to the kind of people who are going to be around me because most places do

BWillie
04-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Squatter's rights are prevalent in California.

Are they in Kansas?

If so, you'd better spend the extra $15 and do a full background check.

Otherwise, you may wake up and find your $900 car missing.

I drive a BMW now thank you very much. Wish I still had that reliable old $900 POS :thumb:

KCinNY
04-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Tenants are scum...spend the dough and do the full background check.

Also check Missouri case.net for past landlord/tenant issues with a potential renter.

KcMizzou
04-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Jesus.

As a renter who has paid rent no later than the 4th of the month for about four years now... I think you're being a little harsh.

All the people that got tricked into buying a house they knew they couldn't afford, will be renters.

No need to be a dick about it.

KcMizzou
04-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Tenants are scum...WTF?

I'm gonna shank you.

KCChiefsMan
04-11-2009, 02:13 AM
ya be picky on who you let live there and make sure you protect yourself. My Grandma was an overtrusting lady who let these 25 yr olds move into her beautiful house that she inherited from her mother and they destroyed it. Seriously, destroyed the place. Most of the windows broken out, the bathroom had black slime all over it, the nice hardwood floors are completely ruined and the stairs are all fucked up and the deck outside was destroyed too and all the cabinets in the kitchen. I was furious when I saw this because it used to be such a nice place in boston.

KCinNY
04-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Jesus.

As a renter who has paid rent no later than the 4th of the month for about four years now... I think you're being a little harsh.

All the people that got tricked into buying a house they knew they couldn't afford, will be renters.

To be fair, you're right. Most tenants are fine.

Many, however, are property destroying, deadbeat scumbags who have no problem stiffing you on rent and causing thousands of $$ of damage before you finally throw them out.

Has very little to do with income level. One of my best tenants ever was a career dishwasher who was never late with rent and left his place looking immaculate when he left. Another was a decently paid office manager who wrecked my property and left me with 4 months of unpaid rent.

BWillie
04-11-2009, 02:31 AM
To be fair, you're right. Most tenants are fine.

Many, however, are property destroying, deadbeat scumbags who have no problem stiffing you on rent and causing thousands of $$ of damage before you finally throw them out.

Has very little to do with income level. One of my best tenants ever was a career dishwasher who was never late with rent and left his place looking immaculate when he left. Another was a decently paid office manager who wrecked my property and left me with 4 months of unpaid rent.

I have some experience with this. I live in a 4 bedroom house now, and I live in the large finished basement that has it's own bathroom. I have a door on the top of the steps that I can even lock if I wanted so it's kind of my own little apartment. Basically, the house rent is $1200 plus utilities that we split 5 ways. When I moved in, a guy had all the bills in his name. He moved out a year ago, and because the place is such a great deal and I basically have my own apartment to myself I put the bills in my name. The guy that had the bills in his name before me was way to easy going. He would get stiffed all the time. Then when we went to find perspective renters he wouldn't even have them pay rent first to reserve it, he would just take them at their word, then they would never move in.

So what I do, and what I will plan on doing in my own house is make them pay first and last months rent which includes utilities when they move in. Make them sign a rental agreement to month to month rent and indicate on there that if you do not pay rent by the 7th day of the month you will be evicted. This has worked great for me, because even if someone can't pay, I can't really get dicked, because I already have their last months rent and it's 30 days notice so I don't really care if they can't pay me or not. I can always find another renter very quickly.

I'm glad I'm not a landlord and doesn't live at the house because people would trash it, that is why I'm going to keep a tight ship in my house. And when you live there, people are going to respect the residence 1000x more. I plan on having just two roommates to keep tabs on the place easier, instead of the 4 that live in the house that we rent now. Be more picky about who I rent to. Hire a cleaning lady to come in a few times a month to clean so the place doesn't get run down.

I don't know much about Kansas landlord law, but it seems to work great for me. The rental agreement I made for the place I live at now is just typed up by me, but when I gain possession of my home in a month, I need to find a good iron clad month to month roommate/rental agreement.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
you can use the KBI's website to get criminal history. Also, I assume Douglas County offers a district court public access site similar to Shawneecourt.org

Hog Farmer
04-11-2009, 08:19 AM
As a landlord of 19 rental houses I've never done a background check. I just state up front that rent is due on the 1st . Anything after that requires a $50 late fee and possibility of being dowsed in Boar cum.

StcChief
04-11-2009, 10:00 AM
As a landlord of 19 rental houses I've never done a background check. I just state up front that rent is due on the 1st . Anything after that requires a $50 late fee and possibility of being dowsed in Boar cum.:clap: LMAO

Iowanian
04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Jesus.

You're a very, very, very Rare commodity.

TEX
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Jesus.

"Got Tricked" ??? :rolleyes:

banyon
04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
you can use the KBI's website to get criminal history. Also, I assume Douglas County offers a district court public access site similar to Shawneecourt.org

No, they don't.

But he could go to the courthouse physically and use the public access terminals in the clerk's office in the basement.

Raised On Riots
04-11-2009, 04:05 PM
WTF?

I'm gonna shank you.

ROFL