PDA

View Full Version : Environment 2 small galaxies are currently colliding with....

petegz28
04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
the Milky Way. I am watching "The Universe" on the History Channel. One scientist just said that we just recently discovered that 2 smaller galaxies are currently colliding with the Milky Way. I guess it was not noticed due to all the dust and such but infrared studies recently have shown such.

Does anyone else know anything about this? I find that very exciting. In our ongoing riddle of Global Warming and all that, it is amazing what activity we discount going on outside of our own solar system

Hydrae
04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Very interesting. I thought Andromeda was our closest galactic neighbor and wouldn't be visiting for something like 10 billions years. I'll have to see if this will be on again later (sucks working on Saturday sometimes).

HolyHandgernade
04-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Doesn't seem like anyone is that concerned:

http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/images_ri/canm-e.html

petegz28
04-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Doesn't seem like anyone is that concerned:

http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/images_ri/canm-e.html

I said it sounded exciting, not threatening. Of course it isn't a cause for concern. Then again, WTF could we even do if it were? Answer: not a damn thing.

Hydrae
04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I said it sounded exciting, not threatening. Of course it isn't a cause for concern. Then again, WTF could we even do if it were? Answer: not a damn thing.

This is one of the reasons for continuing space exploration. There will come a day when this planet is not livable, whether through humans screwing it up or some galactic event, and we will need to be able to go elsewhere for the survival of the species.

petegz28
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
This is one of the reasons for continuing space exploration. There will come a day when this planet is not livable, whether through humans screwing it up or some galactic event, and we will need to be able to go elsewhere for the survival of the species.

Agreed.

banyon
04-11-2009, 10:54 AM

I agree with this sentiment 100%, even more the reason that we need to preserve this rock until we have the capability to do so.

Hydrae
04-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with this sentiment 100%, even more the reason that we need to preserve this rock until we have the capability to do so.

Very, very true.

Saul Good
04-11-2009, 12:23 PM

I'll bet government spending would somehow be involved.

patteeu
04-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I hope it doesn't light up the night sky too much.

Saul Good
04-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I hope it doesn't light up the night sky too much.

God's going to feel pete's wrath.

Saul Good
04-11-2009, 12:44 PM
the Milky Way. I am watching "The Universe" on the History Channel. One scientist just said that we just recently discovered that 2 smaller galaxies are currently colliding with the Milky Way. I guess it was not noticed due to all the dust and such but infrared studies recently have shown such.

Does anyone else know anything about this? I find that very exciting. In our ongoing riddle of Global Warming and all that, it is amazing what activity we discount going on outside of our own solar system

What does this have to do with Rush Limbaugh?

banyon
04-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll bet government spending would somehow be involved.

Nah we shoud just huddle underground and pray and wait for "the market" to solve all our problems mystically.

Saul Good
04-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Nah we shoud just huddle underground and pray and wait for "the market" to solve all our problems mystically.

This wouldn't have happened if Obama hadn't bowed to that Saudi.

A guy I know collided with 2 small galaxies once.

Rigodan
04-11-2009, 12:56 PM

This is true but that day is millions if not billions of years away. No point to put that much money into it now.

jjjayb
04-11-2009, 01:04 PM

Meh. Not like I'll be around for it. Not like my kids or my kid's kids will be around for it. Call me selfish or uncaring but I really could not care less what happens to this planet in a hundred years.

Saul Good
04-11-2009, 01:07 PM
This is true but that day is millions if not billions of years away. No point to put that much money into it now.

Let's put a penny into a bank account today. Then, a billion years from now, the money in the account should be worth enough money to build a million spaceships to distant galaxies.

Of course, it's more likely that the bank will fail, thus sealing the fate for humanity.
Either way, really.

banyon
04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Meh. Not like I'll be around for it. Not like my kids or my kid's kids will be around for it. Call me selfish or uncaring but I really could not care less what happens to this planet in a hundred years.

People who are more concerned with their immediate creature comforts than the future of their great-grandchildren is more or less the main problem in this country and why we've become a bunch of spoiled, overconsuming, debt-burdened wastrels. Get your flat screen TV, your new car and overpriced home, hope your 401k holds out, and just wait for others to plan the future.

Rigodan
04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
People who are more concerned with their immediate creature comforts than the future of their great-grandchildren is more or less the main problem in this country and why we've become a bunch of spoiled, overconsuming, debt-burdened wastrels. Get your flat screen TV, your new car and overpriced home, hope your 401k holds out, and just wait for others to plan the future.

This is ironic coming from you. You talk about the future when your boy Obama is piling massive amounts of debt on future generations.

banyon
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
This is ironic coming from you. You talk about the future when your boy Obama is piling massive amounts of debt on future generations.

Feel free to show the post where I supported either of the massive bailout proposals.

Rigodan
04-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Feel free to show the post where I supported either of the massive bailout proposals.

Not saying you supported those. I'm just under the impression that your an Obama guy and his policies look like they could be very damaging to future generations of Americans. I do agree with you though. People are too concerned with the "right now" and need to consider the consequences of their actions more fully.

Hog Farmer
04-11-2009, 02:25 PM
We should stock up on ammo!

banyon
04-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Not saying you supported those. I'm just under the impression that your an Obama guy and his policies look like they could be very damaging to future generations of Americans. I do agree with you though. People are too concerned with the "right now" and need to consider the consequences of their actions more fully.

I voted for him, but that does not mean I have to be in lockstep with every proposal he signs off on. McCain was for this crap too, if you wil recall.

So far, I have been more than a little disappointed in Obama's coziness with the same folks that the Bushites were.

Sully
04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
This wouldn't have happened if Obama hadn't bowed to that Saudi.

A guy I know collided with 2 small galaxies once.

ROFL

mlyonsd
04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Great. Just great. Now I have to worry about all kinds of new meteors anihilating the planet.

Actually I saw on Nova one night our universe is scheduled to wack into the Andromeda universe in about 2 billion years. That's one of the reasons I've decided to be cremated...seems kind of silly to be placed into a box because we're all doomed to burning up at some point. Well, that and our sun will explode and take care of the job before then.

petegz28
04-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Great. Just great. Now I have to worry about all kinds of new meteors anihilating the planet.

Actually I saw on Nova one night our universe is scheduled to wack into the Andromeda universe in about 2 billion years. That's one of the reasons I've decided to be cremated...seems kind of silly to be placed into a box because we're all doomed to burning up at some point. Well, that and our sun will explode and take care of the job before then.

This is all true. I would love to see a nova. Too bad people like patteu and SaulGood, A.K.A. Dickhead Major, wish to pollute the neighborhood with their bright lights and such. Then again though, they have to have a reason to bitch about high electricity bills I guess.

Discuss Thrower
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Well you might be spot on with the logic behind cremation, but the sun will never explode as it's not big enough. It will just swell from hydrogen exhaustion and engulf everything up to Jupiter or so.

petegz28
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Well you might be spot on with the logic behind cremation, but the sun will never explode as it's not big enough. It will just swell from hydrogen exhaustion and engulf everything up to Jupiter or so.

Either way it still will melt this rock. Plastic and all!

petegz28
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
What does this have to do with Rush Limbaugh?

Rush Limbaugh is too stupid to understand such things. The only Milky Way that fat ass knows about is the one he pays .79 for at the gas station. And the only thing Rush would ever see that colliding with is his 2 fat cheeks and is stuffs his pie hole.

jjjayb
04-12-2009, 01:23 AM

That's exactly what I'm going to do. While you keep worrying about how you're going to build your great great great grandchildrens spaceship off this planet, I'll be enjoying my flat screen tv, overpriced home and new car. Thanks. I just hope our Sun doesn't decide to put a kink in your plans, or that doomsday meteor I read about every few years, or a black hole, etc. etc.

Too bad the dinosaurs weren't smart enough to figure out how to stop polluting so the earth wouldn't become too inhabitable for them. :hmmm: Selfish bastards didn't worry about their children's children. :cuss:

petegz28
04-12-2009, 01:27 AM
That's exactly what I'm going to do. While you keep worrying about how you're going to build your great great great grandchildrens spaceship off this planet, I'll be enjoying my flat screen tv, overpriced home and new car. Thanks. I just hope our Sun doesn't decide to put a kink in your plans, or that doomsday meteor I read about every few years, or a black hole, etc. etc.

Too bad the dinosaurs weren't smart enough to figure out how to stop polluting so the earth wouldn't become too inhabitable for them. :hmmm: Selfish bastards didn't worry about their children's children. :cuss:

So your argument is based on the fact that dinosaurs were not capable of the intelligent thought that humans are? WOW! Just fucking WOW! In fact, let me say it again....WOW!

Hog Farmer
04-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Um...... just thinking...... If these other galaxies contain planets.....umm.... could this be a problem ?

headsnap
04-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Two galaxies and one Nova..

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/9901-1965-Ford-Galaxy.jpg
http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford_images/ford_galaxy_24_11_06.jpg
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-nova/images/chevrolet-nova-1966a.jpg

We're DOOMED!!!!!

SNR
04-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I hate big galaxy.

Frankie
04-12-2009, 09:21 AM
So THAT was the jolt I felt yesterday. Thought it was an earthquake.

Baby Lee
04-12-2009, 09:25 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.

banyon
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM

You asked people to call you selfish and then you took offense, go figure.

In any event my point was a general one and not, of course, limited to stellar phenomena.

SNR
04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
You asked people to call you selfish and then you took offense, go figure.

In any event my point was a general one and not, of course, limited to stellar phenomena.He has a good point.

I'm a musician. What am I supposed to do about the future besides keep my own house in order so people don't have to pay for my shortcomings when I die?

banyon
04-12-2009, 12:06 PM
He has a good point.

I'm a musician. What am I supposed to do about the future besides keep my own house in order so people don't have to pay for my shortcomings when I die?

Anything. something. That's the point.

Jenson71
04-12-2009, 12:10 PM
He has a good point.

Plant a tree in your backyard. Use the shade to cut down air conditioning costs.

jjjayb
04-12-2009, 12:22 PM
So your argument is based on the fact that dinosaurs were not capable of the intelligent thought that humans are? WOW! Just ****ing WOW! In fact, let me say it again....WOW!

No, my argument is that sometimes shit just happens. Would it really be all that bad if people did go extinct? Really, we are everthing that's wrong with this planet right? Would you really want to bring our mess to another planet to screw that up too?

patteeu
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Plant a tree in your backyard. Use the shade to cut down air conditioning costs.

Then chop the tree down and burn the wood to cut down on heating costs! We might be on to something here! ;)

Jenson71
04-12-2009, 12:29 PM
You can also sew up the leaves for clothing.

Saul Good
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Then chop the tree down and burn the wood to cut down on heating costs! We might be on to something here! ;)

Let's go chop down Pete's tree for firewood next winter.

patteeu
04-12-2009, 12:36 PM

If one of us is a big black guy or if we bring a big black friend with us, he probably won't say anything.

Saul Good
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
If one of us is a big black guy or if we bring a big black friend with us, he probably won't say anything.

Beware the anonymous letter.

petegz28
04-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Beware the anonymous letter.

You and patteu are still mad at me for slamming on your hero, aren't ya?

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.:eek:

petegz28
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Come on over, dickhead. :D

petegz28
04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
He has a good point.

Do you recycle? Particularly plastics?

petegz28
04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
No, my argument is that sometimes shit just happens. Would it really be all that bad if people did go extinct? Really, we are everthing that's wrong with this planet right? Would you really want to bring our mess to another planet to screw that up too?

Nope. "we aren't". Just you and Rush. Oh and his two groupie bitches on here as well:D

banyon
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM

If you think human beings are so worthless, why are you bothering sustaining yourself every day, using up resources that other creatures could use after our worthless species is wiped out?

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Wood heat feels better than anyother source of heat. I burned some oak and some cedar and some hedge today in my woodstove. Plus I enjoy the smell of woodsmoke.

SNR
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Do you recycle? Particularly plastics?Only aluminum cans. Recycling plastic produces nasty waste, and costs too much.

petegz28
04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Only aluminum cans. Recycling plastic produces nasty waste, and costs too much.

It is better to do that than producing the waste if you don't.

jjjayb
04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
If you think human beings are so worthless, why are you bothering sustaining yourself every day, using up resources that other creatures could use after our worthless species is wiped out?

I don't think Humans are worthless. Only liberal humans. ;)

SNR
04-13-2009, 07:26 AM
It is better to do that than producing the waste if you don't.Why?

petegz28
04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Why?

Have you ever heard of the Pacific Ocean Garbage Dump?

HonestChieffan
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I just read we dump toxic waste off Somalia. Now you say its in the pacific. Im more and more confused all the time. We need to get a clear answer on this and soon before it gets out of hand.

patteeu
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Have you ever heard of the Pacific Ocean Garbage Dump?

Are you thinking that SNR dumps his plastics in the ocean?

petegz28
04-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Are you thinking that SNR dumps his plastics in the ocean?

Not directly, no. Why do you choose to be so fucking obtuse at times?

petegz28
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Why?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnUjTHB1lvM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnUjTHB1lvM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

patteeu
04-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Not directly, no. Why do you choose to be so ****ing obtuse at times?

Until Rush Limbaugh comments on something, I usually don't know what to say. :p

SNR
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Have you ever heard of the Pacific Ocean Garbage Dump?No. Should I have?

Have you ever heard of a landfill?

petegz28
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
No. Should I have?

Have you ever heard of a landfill?

I gave you the video.....you can see a landfill for yourself

Plastic doesn't break down, Professor.

SNR
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I gave you the video.....you can see a landfill for yourself

Plastic doesn't break down, Professor.I watched the video. That's really too bad, but forgive me if I'm not persuaded by presentations that are 80% ethos like your video. It was mostly sad music and pictures of cute animals with some statistics to scare the viewer.

I live in the midwest, and my county has a supportable landfill system that has enough land to go on for the next 1000 years. When a hole gets filled with garbage, it's covered with soil and made into green space. Also, the organic items that do break down in the landfill produce methane. This methane is gathered into a plant and used as energy. I don't know the exact numbers on it.

We spent buttloads of money on this system in the 80s and it works great for us. My garbage MIGHT go to the ocean, but I really don't see how.

In the meantime, I'm disposing of my plastic safely. Recycling it would still mean hazardous waste. Where would THAT go? The ocean? I'm really not sure. But I'm not sure where my plastic goes, either.

If the government REALLY wanted to make a difference, they would use the bullshit money they spend on recycling and use it to clean up that waste in the oceans. In the meantime, they should work out methods for safe disposal of plastic. If they create a method of safe recycling, then sure, I'll consider changing my ways. Until then, my way isn't any less harmful than the recycling way.

Rain Man
04-14-2009, 01:09 PM
We never had galaxies colliding with us when Reagan was president.

petegz28
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
We never had galaxies colliding with us when Reagan was president.

No, just an infestation of illegals.

Frankie
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
No, just an infestation of illegals.

Illegal galaxies?! Now I'm confused.:grr: