PDA

View Full Version : Misc Genealogy: Surnames in your ancestry

RJ
04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
So maybe there has been a thread on this before but if so I don't remember. I'm wondering how many surnames in their lineage might be shared by Planet members. Since most of us have a connection geographically to the midwest it wouldn't be surprising to find a distant cousin here on the board......not that we'd ever want to admit it.

Personally, I can only go back a couple of generations. Backward-assed hill folk and Indians apparently weren't much for record keeping. Here are the names that I know for certain I am connected to.

Jordan
Goings
Cruise
Miller
Burnette
Russell

Disclaimers: This thread has nothing to do with Aaron Curry or Jay Cutler. Apologies in advance if repost.

Discuss Thrower
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Benfer
Beverlin
Dunlop
Fields
Haun
McCauley
Mitchell
Shad
Smith
Roberts
Wiglesworth

listopencil
04-11-2009, 12:12 PM
"... Backward-assed hill folk and Indians apparently weren't much for record keeping."

My paternal great grandmother was Melungeon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melungeon

A major factor in the wide variation in descriptions is the lack of a clear consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus) on exactly who should be included under the term Melungeon. Almost every author on this subject gives a slightly different list of Melungeon-associated surnames, but the British surnames Collins and Gibson appear most frequently; genealogist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogist) Pat Elder calls them "core" surnames. Many researchers also include Bowling, Bunch,Goins, Goodman, Minor, Mise, Mullins, Wise, and several others (although not all families with these surnames are Melungeon). Not all of these families were necessarily of the same racial background, and each line must be examined individually. Ultimately, the answer to the question "Who or what are Melungeons?" depends largely on which families are included under that designation.

luv
04-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I did a thread a few months back.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5466855#post5466855

It was more about finding out what my ancestry was as opposed to just seeing who I might be linked to, though.

In no particular order, my family's names...

Paul - English, French, German, and Dutch
Rogers - English
Adkins - English
Poe - English
Richardson - English
Bassford - English
Overman - Dutch
Westervelt - Dutch and Belgian (Westerveld)
Craig - Scottish
Endicott - English (Devon)
Ware - English
Junkins - English, Irish
Mondy (?) - English
Petre - English, Swedish (Petré), Slovenian, French (Pêtre)

Baby Lee
04-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Parents - Lee and Kelley [that one's a no starter, as my gggf took the name of his nurse after battlefield amnesia]. There was some work linking my mother's clan to the Steinmetz lineage, ie, Charles Steinmetz, but nothing concrete was found d/t to the amnesia thing.
The Lee side runs back to the Skinners, and then to the Newtons [yes, that Newton, my great aunt has a rundown that traces our lineage back to an aunt of Sir Isaac's].

Buck
04-11-2009, 01:18 PM
So is there a website I can go to to find this out?

listopencil
04-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Hmm. Hard to get into this w/o telling everyone my real name, which I don't want to do on the internet. I've been able to track my last name back to its origin, around 1200. I can go back much further than that as that particular individual was royalty and records were kept.

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Davis
Bradley
Reed
Hammer
Evans

luv
04-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Hmm. Hard to get into this w/o telling everyone my real name, which I don't want to do on the internet. I've been able to track my last name back to its origin, around 1200. I can go back much further than that as that particular individual was royalty and records were kept.

That's why I put all of mine in a random order. I can tell you that my last name isn't Paul. :)

Herzig
04-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Herzig-German
Schuler-German
Tate-English
Didde-German
Burger-German
Boone-English & French...yes Daniel was an ancestor of mine.

crispystl420
04-11-2009, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=luv;5659939]I did a thread a few months back.

Do you know a Sarah Endicott Who attended mu last year?

crispystl420
04-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Davis
Bradley
Reed
Hammer
Evans

I am a Bradley

Count Zarth
04-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm related to Davy Crockett.

Skip Towne
04-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Crockett was a shithead?

Count Zarth
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Crockett was a shithead?

And a virgin!

Radar Chief
04-11-2009, 02:33 PM

How? So am I.
My paternal grandmother's maiden name is Crockett and most of her side of the family are from Tennessee. She could trace her family back to one of David Crockett's brothers.

Count Zarth
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
How? So am I.
My paternal grandmother's maiden name is Crockett and most of her side of the family are from Tennessee. She could trace her family back to one of David Crockett's brothers.

My grandmother's maiden name was Phleger. Supposedly that's the connection.

RJ
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=listopencil;5659915]"... Backward-assed hill folk and Indians apparently weren't much for record keeping."

My paternal great grandmother was Melungeon.

{QUOTE]

I use the term "backward-assed" with warmth and affection, of course.

You said in your other post you could trace back to the 12th century....out of curiosity, how'd you do it? The older I get, the more this stuff interests me. I guess I want to find out where I came from before I get where I'm going.

Count Zarth
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Here we go. Gramma in bold.

<tt>13. Vera Madge NASH (Adelaid Flora FAY, Asa) was born 27 Apr
1898 in Blue Earth, MN. She died 7 Jan 1951 in Perry, IA.
Vera married John Tolliver PHLEGER, son of John PHLEGER and
Anna CROCKETT, on 17 Apr 1917 in Cedar Rapids, IA.
They had the following children:

+ 30M i. John Vernon PHLEGER.
+ 31M ii. James Lane PHLEGER.
+ 32F iii. Louise Dawn PHLEGER.
+ 33F iv. Donna Pearl PHLEGER.
+ 34M v. Gary Lee PHLEGER.
</tt>

luv
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=luv;5659939]
Do you know a Sarah Endicott Who attended mu last year?

Nope. Is she from Missouri?

crispystl420
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=crispystl420;5660054]

Nope. Is she from Missouri?

Yeah Branson I believe. I used to work with her I didn't know her too well but she was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I was gonna say if you are related to that girl you almost certainly are a really good person.

RJ
04-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I forgot Allen. One of my ggm's was an Allen, I think from Tennessee.

Also, Goings is actually Goins and Burnette is actually Burnett.

Hydrae
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Names in my family that were from Missouri include Vaughn and Scott. The Vaughns were from the St Joe area (Hemple if anyone knows of it) and my grandfather Scott was born in St Charles. His father served 2 years in a prison for manslaughter. Seems he was fired from a job (1918 I believe) and he got drunk and went back and killed his former boss with an axe handle. It is amazing the little things you learn about an ancestor when they have been to prison, he wore size 9 shoes.

There was also one of the coolest names ever in my family tree, Harm Luke Brown. His wife was supposedly a cousin to Robert E Lee but we have never been able to prove it.

My wife's family was also from Missouri, up around Hannibal. The main name is Garstang. We have a copy of a diary from when the patriarch came over on the boat from Garstang county, England.

stevieray
04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I forgot Allen. One of my ggm's was an Allen, I think from Tennessee.

Also, Goings is actually Goins and Burnette is actually Burnett.

Goins is my wife's maiden name...:)

Count Zarth
04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Apparently my father's side is descended from a British King.

I'm royalty.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Cain
Fisk
Farris
Edwards
Bower
Leary

I know my people had roots in Excelsior, Richmond, and Lexington MO.

RJ
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Goins is my wife's maiden name...:)

Cool. Goins is my paternal grandmother's maiden name, they're all from western Kentucky.

Discuss Thrower
04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Cain
Fisk
Farris
Edwards
Bower
Leary

I know my people had roots in Excelsior, Richmond, and Lexington MO.

The battlestar fan in me likes the names bolded.

listopencil
04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I use the term "backward-assed" with warmth and affection, of course.

You said in your other post you could trace back to the 12th century....out of curiosity, how'd you do it? The older I get, the more this stuff interests me. I guess I want to find out where I came from before I get where I'm going.

I have a distinct last name.

BigMeatballDave
04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm related to Lincoln on my mother's side. I can't remember the connecting name.

RJ
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm related to Lincoln on my mother's side. I can't remember the connecting name.

Logs?

Bob Dole
04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Davis
Bradley
Reed
Hammer
Evans

Bob Dole has a boatload of Evans on his maternal side (having a family reunion this summer). Of course, that's a fairly common surname.

***SPRAYER
04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Jesse
Strasle
Kulik
Newman (Americanized at Ellis Island)
Kokoska

DaFace
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I did a thread a few months back.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5466855#post5466855

It was more about finding out what my ancestry was as opposed to just seeing who I might be linked to, though.

In no particular order, my family's names...

Paul - English, French, German, and Dutch
Rogers - English
Adkins - English
Poe - English
Richardson - English
Bassford - English
Overman - Dutch
Westervelt - Dutch and Belgian (Westerveld)
Craig - Scottish
Ware - English
Junkins - English, Irish
Mondy (?) - English
Petre - English, Swedish (Petré), Slovenian, French (Pêtre)

Not by blood, but I have a great uncle whose last name is Ware.

Aside from that, I only know the basics up to grandparents' maiden names and that type of thing, but I've got...

Herndon
Mewhinney
Phillips
Tarr

chasedude
04-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Vogel, Chase, Patton, and Marshall are the only I can think of off hand.

Joie
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Oh Thank God. I don't appear to be related to any of you! Except Aces by our own marriage, of course.

I've got:

Flanagan
Welch
Jenkins
Horton
Bruce
Collins

ETA: I didn't include my married name for privacy reasons.

splatbass
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Not in any particular order, and my name isn't included.

Zumbro - German
Dictson - English
Jones - English
Vines - English
Overcast - English
Anderson - English
Finley - Irish
Threlkeld - English
Hamilton - Scottish
Sommerau - Swiss
Eberle - German

That's all I remember off the top of my head.

RJ
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
One I had forgotten is Farley, from my GGGM who was born in Ireland in the 1870's.