PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Overseas Contingency Operation

patteeu
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
WTF?* (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032402818.html)

I realize that many people, including myself, had problems with the previous administration's name for our ongoing war against violent, anti-western islamist extremism (Global War on Terror) that ranged from the idiotic (e.g. you can't go to war against a tactic) to the reasonable (e.g. it doesn't adequately identify the enemy), but is this really an improvement? What does it mean?

--------------
* I realize that this change is several weeks old, but I haven't seen it discussed so I'm curious what ChiefsPlanet thinks of the name. I'm sure a few of you have never heard a better, more fitting, crazy-on-target name in your life, but for those who aren't complete Obama automatons, what do you think?

SBK
04-11-2009, 05:49 PM
It's a great name that won't offend folks. By not offending people we don't have to travel the world to apologize for our success.

BucEyedPea
04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
WTF?* (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032402818.html)

I realize that many people, including myself, had problems with the previous administration's name for our ongoing war against violent, anti-western islamist extremism (Global War on Terror) that ranged from the idiotic (e.g. you can't go to war against a tactic) to the reasonable (e.g. it doesn't adequately identify the enemy), but is this really an improvement? What does it mean?

It's Newspeak so he can appear different and keep his base. But Global War on Terror was Newspeak for the GOP's public: nat'l security minded conservatives. It's all just nation building and providing rhetorical cover for it.

banyon
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
It's vague and confusing.

WoodDraw
04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
The daily show did a funny bit on this back when it happened.

I've actually never heard the phrase though, outside of the daily show clips. I'm not even sure what it means.

mlyonsd
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM

--------------
* I realize that this change is several weeks old, but I haven't seen it discussed so I'm curious what ChiefsPlanet thinks of the name. I'm sure a few of you have never heard a better, more fitting, crazy-on-target name in your life, but for those who aren't complete Obama automatons, what do you think?

FTR, if we had beheaded anyone at Guantamano it would be called terror by our own media.

stevieray
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
...like the new man caused disasters?

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
It's so Americans won't get killed. Americans get killed in a war, but not an overseas contingency operation. That's the same reason why Vietnam was a conflict and not a war.

BucEyedPea
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
It's so Americans won't get killed. Americans get killed in a war, but not an overseas contingency operation. That's the same reason why Vietnam was a conflict and not a war.

That and because we never declared war. It was done under the auspices of the UN/SEATO.

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
That and because we never declared war. It was done under the auspices of the UN/SEATO.

And think how many lives they saved by doing that.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Its politically correct and that is very important. You should be ashamed even brining this up.

jAZ
04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I think it's an accounting term that's not ready for primetime.

Radar Chief
04-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, the Empty Suit ended the War On Terror, didn't he?

patteeu
04-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Well, the Empty Suit ended the War On Terror, didn't he?

The guy's a genius!

BTW, instead of "the empty suit", we request that you refer to our president as "the unstuffed shirt" from now on. Thanks in advance.

Amnorix
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Better the empty suit than the empty mind that we had before. :D

BTW, the change is silly to me. The new phrase is so ambiguous as to be utterly worthless.

BucEyedPea
04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
What about empty minds in empty suits?

Amnorix
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
What about empty minds in empty suits?

Ron Paul? :p