PDA

View Full Version : Misc How far would you go for pizza?

Baby Lee
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.restaurantpi.com/Pi_menu.pdf

The Menu at Pi, a pizza joint I could literally hit with a rock from my old apartment in Law school [though it wasn't in business back then].

Barak just had him jump on a plane with dough and sauce in a suitcase for lunch.

Not knocking him, it's an honor and a coup for the owner, and it's kind of funny seeing hometown deep dishers in Chicago fuming over being spurned.

That said, Racanellis [NY style], and Blackthorne [Chic DD] are both better.

At least it wasn't St. Louis namesake, Imo's crackers and cheez whiz.

StcChief
04-11-2009, 07:06 PM
who paid for it... Nice publicity for STL Pizza.

Reaper16
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I've gone to Columbia, MO for the sole purpose of eating at Shakespeare's a few times.

Baby Lee
04-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Near as I can suss from a brief scan of the interwebs, the guy was already heading to DC on business, so Pi picked up the airfare, Barack paid OOP for locally bought toppings. No word on whose tab got the dough and sauce.

Baby Lee
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I've gone to Columbia, MO for the sole purpose of eating at Shakespeare's a few times.

I have Racanellis on speed dial so I can pick up a couple slices takeout [they have precooked plain pies they put toppings on and stick back in their oven for a quick browning]. It's not that far out of the way, but there's no parking on their street, so you have to park around the corner and down a block, and it can be a ponderous hike in the dead of winter.

StcChief
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Near as I can suss from a brief scan of the interwebs, the guy was already heading to DC on business, so Pi picked up the airfare, Barack paid OOP for locally bought toppings. No word on whose tab got the dough and sauce.If Pi was making the trip anyway no biggy..... gotta love that all the Chicago Pizza BO has had, he like STL better.

mlyonsd
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I have Racanellis on speed dial so I can pick up a couple slices takeout [they have precooked plain pies they put toppings on and stick back in their oven for a quick browning]. It's not that far out of the way, but there's no parking on their street, so you have to park around the corner and down a block, and it can be a ponderous hike in the dead of winter.
Local non-chain pizza is the best.

If I were president I'd have both Tony, and Jerry (different local establishments) on the WH payroll.

Since I'm sure both are up on their taxes I'd make on the Treasury Secretary and the other something else. Maybe Health and Human services.

btw, I've made the wife drive 45 one way to pick up a good pizza.

Baby Lee
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
If Pi was making the trip anyway no biggy..... gotta love that all the Chicago Pizza BO has had, he like STL better.

Dunno if it worked into BO's calculus, but this is a 'Loop' business, which is a mini-MW Haight-Ashbury to begin with, and the propreitor is a big greenie [carbon credits for all restaurant operations, heavy recycling program, and he's using his restaurant to launch a green building company].

WoodDraw
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Sommers offered to deliver a few frozen pies to the president after the election, People reports, but he was told he couldn't send food to the White House because of security concerns.

So Love arranged to have Sommers bring suitcases full of pizza pans, cheese, 20 pounds of dough and three gallons of sauce, at the pizza chef’s own expense, to the White House kitchen. He and his business partner were cooking there today.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0409/pizza_diplomacy_518fba10-cb5d-4350-bb6f-7a339ab585e6.html

stevieray
04-11-2009, 07:56 PM
From the Northland to 350 and Gregory for Funhouse Pizza

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Don't EVER criticize Imo's pizza. You don't appreciate what you have.

Reaper16
04-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Excuse me while I vomit. Provel cheese is horrendous.

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Excuse me while I vomit. Provel cheese is horrendous.

If you vomited Imo's pizza, I would still consider eating it. In the end, I probably wouldn't, though.

stevieray
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
If you vomited Imo's pizza, I would still consider eating it. In the end, I probably wouldn't, though.

beaujeaux's still around?

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
beaujeaux's still around?

Yeah.

Speaking of vomit...

I don't understand what people see in that pizza. I think it's incredibly dry.

BucEyedPea
04-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't move a fraction of a millimeter as I'm allergic to pizza.

Rain Man
04-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't move a fraction of a millimeter as I'm allergic to pizza.

You're allergic to combined cheese, bread, tomato sauce, and pepperoni?

BucEyedPea
04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
You're allergic to combined cheese, bread, tomato sauce, and pepperoni?

The bread and the yeast.

Mr Luzcious
04-12-2009, 01:26 AM

That is darned good stuff. Bit far for me to go solely for that purpose, however.

Pitt Gorilla
04-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Excuse me while I vomit. Provel cheese is horrendous.I agree with you completely. 1. Imo's is horrible, and 2. I REALLY miss Shakespeare's.

|Zach|
04-12-2009, 02:49 AM
IMO's is meh. I dig Shakespear's in Columbia when I am there but it never made a huge impression on me. The thing about pizza joints is they often have kick ass sandwiches which I enjoy more...

The best pizza I ever had was Totonos in NYC. Yum.

http://www.totonnos.com/27th.html

patteeu
04-12-2009, 06:44 PM

I was a big fan of Pryor's Pizza in Rolla. I think it was their sauce that I really liked, but their crispy thin crusts were good too. I like Imo's too, but not as much as Pryor's.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Katies Pizza in Peculiar is excellent. Great crust cold beer, super sauce and just nice people.

BucEyedPea
04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Katie's pizza and Pryor's for names of Pizza places in the MW? wtf? Whattsomatta don't you have any real italians owning those joints?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Never big a big Shakespeare's guy. Wesport Imo's in KC used to have a great lunch deal where you could get toasted ravioli and a bitchin salad for like 6 bucks.

I really like Sbarro's, and if they go under, I will start baby crying.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Katie's pizza and Pryor's for names of Pizza places in the MW? wtf? Whattsomatta don't you have any real italians owning those joints?

I used to get Pizza in Chicago at a great place owned by real deal Italians but in the current mood of the board I cannot say the name as a ethnic appelation followed by Reds was the business name and I cannot say the name.

You make an interesting point however. Up untill about 6 or 7 years ago, KC had about three places that served Italian food that didnt have garbage sauces and overcooked pasta. Its getting better but we have a long way to go to equal Chicago, Boston, or I hate to say it, St Louis. Lidias is excellent, Carmens is pretty good, Il Trulo good, Garrozo's is tollerable, Cascones is about 1/2 nasty.

Jenson71
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm too lazy to go far. I'd rather have delivery even if it meant poorer quality.

stevieray
04-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I
You make an interesting point however. Up untill about 6 or 7 years ago, KC had about three places that served Italian food that didnt have garbage sauces and overcooked pasta. Its getting better but we have a long way to go to equal Chicago, Boston, or I hate to say it, St Louis. Lidias is excellent, Carmens is pretty good, Il Trulo good, Garrozo's is tollerable, Cascones is about 1/2 nasty.
Cascone's has been around almost fifty years...gotta be doing something right.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Cascone's has been around almost fifty years...gotta be doing something right.

McDonalds sells a lot of burgers. Does not a good burger make.Cascones was top dog when the only Italian food alternative in KC was Chef BoiArdee.

Redrum_69
04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I make my own pizza.

stevieray
04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
McDonalds sells a lot of burgers. Does not a good burger make.Cascones was top dog when the only Italian food alternative in KC was Chef BoiArdee.

it's all a matter of taste..if they really sucked that bad, they wouldn't still be open...or making and selling their sauces in the grocery store.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
If you enjoy it that's all the better for you.. We can all have different tastes even in this world of sameness. If you don't like good Italian food or if your idea of what Italian food is is what Cascones serve Cascones may be a perfect pick. Red Sauce, meatballs, pasta...

stevieray
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
If you don't like good Italian food or if your idea of what Italian food is is what Cascones serve Cascones may be a perfect pick. Red Sauce, meatballs, pasta...

you say it's all about taste, and then dog mine? I haven't claimed that your taste is off base, just that their continued success says something about their food..

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Not dogging your taste. If you like Cascones thats cool.

stevieray
04-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Not dogging your taste. If you like Cascones thats cool.same here..now I want to check our Lidia's

:)

googlegoogle
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I like pizza and make my own too.

But why the hell is thread posted here?

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
same here..now I want to check our Lidia's

$$$$$ but primo good stuff

Reaper16
04-12-2009, 08:52 PM
If you enjoy it that's all the better for you.. We can all have different tastes even in this world of sameness. If you don't like good Italian food or if your idea of what Italian food is is what Cascones serve Cascones may be a perfect pick. Red Sauce, meatballs, pasta...
This hits the nail on the head. Cascones is one of those old-school Italian-American joints. They serve traditional classics, comfort food for multiple generations. And they have name recognition. All of those things combined make for a business that has stuck around as long as it has. Is it superb cuisine? No. But its not trying to be.

$$$$$ but primo good stuff
Lidia's isn't all that expensive, imo. Not compared with some of KC's other best restaurants such as Bluestem. I can order the daily pasta trio and get one of the daily icecream samplers for dessert and walk out not having spent more than $30, including tip. In fact, I make it a point to do just that at least once every two months.

HonestChieffan
04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
This hits the nail on the head. Cascones is one of those old-school Italian-American joints. They serve traditional classics, comfort food for multiple generations. And they have name recognition. All of those things combined make for a business that has stuck around as long as it has. Is it superb cuisine? No. But its not trying to be.

Lidia's isn't all that expensive, imo. Not compared with some of KC's other best restaurants such as Bluestem. I can order the daily pasta trio and get one of the daily icecream samplers for dessert and walk out not having spent more than $30, including tip. In fact, I make it a point to do just that at least once every two months.

Excellent point. The pasta trio is a value. And you can spend a LOT more and get marginal food in a number of KC places ( as far as that goes, true in most any city).

Dave Lane
04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

That provel crap is some extremely nasty shit.

Dave Lane
04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
same here..now I want to check our Lidia's

Meh, being real Italian or Sicilian in my case ruins most these places. Actually Buca di Beppo is closest to the authentic Italian I had as a child

SBK
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
The bread and the yeast.

That would SUCK.

Reaper16
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Meh, being real Italian or Sicilian in my case ruins most these places. Actually Buca di Beppo is closest to the authentic Italian I had as a child
Ruins Lidia's? Or was that just an unfortunate implication of the post you quoted?

Dave Lane
04-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Ruins Lidia's? Or was that just an unfortunate implication of the post you quoted?

I'm unimpressed with Lidias. It ok like a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale.