PDA

View Full Version : Life Thank you for the corned beef recipie. it was a hit

Gracie Dean
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Corn beef in a crock pot.
1 corn beef
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 can of beef broth
Toss in some potatoes (enough for one meal)

Throw it all in there in the morning and let cook on low while at work.
Eat corn beef, potatoes and sauerkraut the first night.
Get some rye bread and thousand island dressing for the second night or lunch. Use leftover beef and kraut and make Rubens.

Thank you to whomever posted this on the planet. It was a HIT today for my family

KcMizzou
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Here's the thread. It was TrebMaxx.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200145

I'm making one tomorrow. Wrong holiday, but it sounds really good. Got all the stuff for reubens too.

Skip Towne
04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Corn beef in a crock pot.
1 corn beef
1 jar of sauerkraut
1 can of beef broth
Toss in some potatoes (enough for one meal)

Throw it all in there in the morning and let cook on low while at work.
Eat corn beef, potatoes and sauerkraut the first night.
Get some rye bread and thousand island dressing for the second night or lunch. Use leftover beef and kraut and make Rubens.

Thank you to whomever posted this on the planet. It was a HIT today for my family

Sounds good.

Baconeater
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Corned beef is teh awesome. We usually make reubens the first night though, we wouldn't have enough leftovers to do them the second night.

Baconeater
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Here's the thread. It was TrebMaxx.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200145

I'm making one tomorrow. Wrong holiday, but it sounds really good. Got all the stuff for reubens too.
Usually we pick up 3 or 4 of them around St Patty's day when they're on sale. We have one thawing tonight that's going in the crock pot tomorrow as well.

mlyonsd
04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Corned beef is teh awesome. We usually make reubens the first night though, we wouldn't have enough leftovers to do them the second night.

Ruebens on homemade thick cut rye bread. Yea baby.

Try throwing in a little Russian dressing with the 1000 Island....gives it just a little bit of kick.

Claynus
04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
oh...corned beef....so precious...

Gracie Dean
04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I had intended on it being tomorrows dinner, but everyone got into it tonight.

I cooked it in the crock pot all day and thought I would heat it up while we were at church, but now I guess we will have to go out for Easter Lunch since it is almost gone.

There is just enough for the Reubens for dinner tomorrow night

Rye bread and 1000 island is all ready to go!

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Usually we pick up 3 or 4 of them around St Patty's day when they're on sale. We have one thawing tonight that's going in the crock pot tomorrow as well.

how did yours turn out?

Do you use the spice packet?

Hubby is allergic to flour/wheat so we didn't use it as we don't know what all is in it

Modified food starch is usually a no no so.....

Baconeater
04-12-2009, 12:31 PM
how did yours turn out?

Hubby is allergic to flour/wheat so we didn't use it as we don't know what all is in it

It's still cooking, but they always turn out great. And yes, we use the spice packet, I usually scrape most of it off before I eat it though.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
It's still cooking, but they always turn out great. And yes, we use the spice packet, I usually scrape most of it off before I eat it though.

what kind of flavor does the spice packet add?

I used the beef broth as was suggested. The kraut gave everything a good flavor as well. The potatos soaked up the corned beef and broth and kraut taste. Very good.

TrebMaxx
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
how did yours turn out?

Glad you enjoyed it. It is a easy dish to make that the Mrs. and I enjoy. I would definitely use the spice packet. I am pretty sure there is not any flour or wheat in it, just spices which IMHO really gives it that corned beef flavor. Also, I am pretty sure that the ingredients would have to be listed, probably on the main wrapper of the corned beef itself. Bon Appetite. :)

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. It is a easy dish to make that the Mrs. and I enjoy. I would definitely use the spice packet. I am pretty sure there is not any flour or wheat in it, just spices which IMHO really gives it that corned beef flavor. Also, I am pretty sure that the ingredients would have to be listed, probably on the main wrapper of the corned beef itself. Bon Appetite. :)

we looked at all the wrappings, found no ingredients...so we took the safe route and didn't use it. The broth and kraut gave it a great flavor.

Hubby is deathly allergic to the point that we keep about 7 epi-pens around and know the fastest way to the ER

He goes into anaphylactic shock and almost died last year. HE ate something we thought was a corn shell, but it was a flour shell but fried. Had he not had the pen, he would have died ...he was close to it. The ER doc said he was coding in the ER floor and had the pen not kicked in...things would be different here in my home today.

SO we take NO chances.

this allergy crept up on him in his 30's and he hates it. We have all had to adjust but he can hardly get fast food and rice or corn pasta is just not the same.

He misses Pizza the most tho.

mlyonsd
04-12-2009, 12:46 PM

That right there would do me in.

Claynus
04-12-2009, 12:47 PM
You can make rice-flour pizza crusts that are terrific, noswad. Or buy them at Kroger, even. My sisters both have reactions to wheat and have been eating gluten-free stuff for years now. Honestly, gluten-free spelt loaf tastes great to me. I haven't tried the pizza crusts but I'm sure they're just as good.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 12:49 PM
You can make rice-flour pizza crusts that are terrific, noswad. Or buy them at Kroger, even. My sisters both have reactions to wheat and have been eating gluten-free stuff for years now. Honestly, gluten-free spelt loaf tastes great to me. I haven't tried the pizza crusts but I'm sure they're just as good.

he has tried them...

there is one pizza that Dillons sells that is gluten free and if he buys extra toppings, it is OKAY but still not the same.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.chebe.com/

this is a good alternative

BUT>>>

we have to make it

there is no place to just go get a pizza or breadsticks ect...that is what sucks

Claynus
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
he has tried them...

there is one pizza that Dillons sells that is gluten free and if he buys extra toppings, it is OKAY but still not the same.

Try Amy's.

They have the most delicious gluten-free cheese enchiladas.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Try Amy's.

They have the most delicious gluten-free cheese enchiladas.

I think that is the maker of the pizza he gets

TrebMaxx
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
we looked at all the wrappings, found no ingredients...so we took the safe route and didn't use it. The broth and kraut gave it a great flavor.

Hubby is deathly allergic to the point that we keep about 7 epi-pens around and know the fastest way to the ER

He goes into anaphylactic shock and almost died last year. HE ate something we thought was a corn shell, but it was a flour shell but fried. Had he not had the pen, he would have died ...he was close to it. The ER doc said he was coding in the ER floor and had the pen not kicked in...things would be different here in my home today.

SO we take NO chances.

this allergy crept up on him in his 30's and he hates it. We have all had to adjust but he can hardly get fast food and rice or corn pasta is just not the same.

Well, then maybe you can try to make your own.
1 tablespoon of Crab Boil dried spice,
1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt,
1 teaspoon of added Yellow Mustard Seed.
Or I know my Mom used to like to use McCormick's Pickling Spice. It has the following ingredients:
Cinnamon, Allspice, Mustard Seed, Coriander, Bay Leaves, Ginger, Chillies, Cloves, Black Pepper, Mace, Cardamom, and Sulfiting Agents.

mlyonsd
04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.chebe.com/

this is a good alternative

BUT>>>

we have to make it

there is no place to just go get a pizza or breadsticks ect...that is what sucks

I bet if you talk to a local non chain joint and explain your dilemma they'd be glad to make them for you if you give them the crust. The local places around here would do it in a heartbeat.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I bet if you talk to a local non chain joint and explain your dilemma they'd be glad to make them for you if you give them the crust. The local places around here would do it in a heartbeat.

god, that would be SO cool!

mlyonsd
04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
god, that would be SO cool!

Surprise your husband on his birthday or something.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Surprise your husband on his birthday or something.

that woudl be really cool!

Thanks for the idea, I will work on it. His birthday is in Dec, but a fathers day or even just a date night would be cool.

mlyonsd
04-12-2009, 01:19 PM
that woudl be really cool!

Thanks for the idea, I will work on it. His birthday is in Dec, but a fathers day or even just a date night would be cool.

One year after I graduated from college and took my first job a long way from home my wife, for my birthday called my favorite pizza joint and had them make up three jumbos, half baked. They were happy to do it and double wrapped them so they could be frozen. I couldn't tell you what she got me for my birthday last year but I'll always remember the trouble she went through to get me my favorite pizza.

We've moved back now but still live 40 miles north of town. To this day we still get our pizza's half baked and finish them up in our own oven. Works great.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
One year after I graduated from college and took my first job a long way from home my wife, for my birthday called my favorite pizza joint and had them make up three jumbos, half baked. They were happy to do it and double wrapped them so they could be frozen. I couldn't tell you what she got me for my birthday last year but I'll always remember the trouble she went through to get me my favorite pizza.

We've moved back now but still live 40 miles north of town. To this day we still get our pizza's half baked and finish them up in our own oven. Works great.

sounds awesome.

I am going to start looking for a place that will help me out. Hubby would really remember it and very much enjoy it. He loves pizza. Says when he gets to heaven, that is all he is eating

mlyonsd
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
sounds awesome.

I am going to start looking for a place that will help me out. Hubby would really remember it and very much enjoy it. He loves pizza. Says when he gets to heaven, that is all he is eating

Make sure you talk to the owner and not some zit faced kid with pizza sauce all over his shirt. ;)

Gracie Dean
04-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Make sure you talk to the owner and not some zit faced kid with pizza sauce all over his shirt. ;)

true.

all good advice.

we have a couple little non-chain joints that I am going to try first.

we used to talk about opening up a gluten free resturaunt, but have talked ourselves out of it becuase of liability...