PDA

View Full Version : General Politics ASU's 'Dumbest Decision Ever Made'... refuses Obama an Honorary Degree

jAZ
04-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Everyone thought the big controversy was Notre Dame issuing Obama the honorary degree... but ASU has refused to give him one.

'Dumbest Decision Ever Made'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyJH7P8D2P4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyJH7P8D2P4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

First they said that being a community organizer, the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review, a civil rights attorney, a constitutional law professor, a three term Illinois State Senator, a US Senator, a best selling author and being elected the first African American President was enough to warrant an Honoary Degree.

Then upon realizing that everyone was laughing at the stupidity of that claim (given that they previously bestowed the honor on a Mexican community organizer, a random member of the Arizona Power Authority Commissionan, an NBA owner, a random tax attorney, the wife of a mutual fund manager, a CNBC pundit... they decided to claim...

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2009/04/no_degree_but_asu_names_scholarship_for_obama.php

(ASU President Michael) Crow then told the Arizona Republic on Thursday that the university has a policy of not awarding honorary degrees to sitting politicians.
But that's a bunch of crap.

http://graduation.asu.edu/honorary/past

Bob Stump Dec. 19, 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stump

Bob Stump

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Arizona's 3rd district
In office
January 3, 1977 January 3, 2003

Someone on the ASU committee has a political agenda. And they look insanely stupid in the process.

jettio
04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Maybe ASU could give him an honorary point-shaving tip.

patteeu
04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
It's a dumb decision to lie about the reasons. What do you think the real reasons are?

StcChief
04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Good. he doesn't deserve it. Hoping Notre Dame retracts his speaking to grads.

VAChief
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Honorary degrees are kind of stupid in my opinion.

wild1
04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Honorary degree... for what? Winning an election?

orange
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM
ASU covering their asses:

No degree, but ASU names scholarship for Obama
Criticized for decision not to give degree, ASU names scholarship program for President Obama

BOB CHRISTIE
AP News

Apr 11, 2009 17:17 EST

Stung by criticism of its decision not to award President Barack Obama an honorary degree when he makes a commencement address next month, Arizona State University announced Saturday it will rename a scholarship program for the president.

ASU President Michael Crow also issued an apology for the "confusion" surrounding the honorary degree decision.

"It has always been our intention to recognize and honor President Obama's accomplishments during his visit, but we had not yet determined the best or most appropriate way to do so," Crow said in a statement. "Although the focus and attention of the media and others has been on an honorary degree, we never felt that was the only — or even the best — means of honoring his tremendous service to our country."

The school has been mocked in various online forums since the student-run State Press newspaper first reported that ASU decided against awarding an honorary degree to the president at May 13 graduation ceremonies. A series of statements by university officials followed as the story refused to die.

University spokeswoman Sharon Keeler told The Associated Press on Wednesday that ASU's practice was to give honorary degrees to people who had a body of work and had been in their positions for a long time. "His body of work is yet to come. That's why we're not recognizing him with a degree at the beginning of his presidency," Keeler said.

Crow then told the Arizona Republic on Thursday that the university has a policy of not awarding honorary degrees to sitting politicians.

Politico reported on Friday that Crow was reconsidering, although the Republic reported that he said in an e-mail that it would be incorrect to say that.

Finally on Saturday, Crow announced that ASU would name its "most important" scholarship the President Barack Obama Scholars program. Crow's statement also said ASU was expanding the program to offer thousands of its most needy students a chance to attend the university. Details of the program weren't announced.

Many disagreed with the decision not to award the degree, including ASU student Brian Goegan, who last year was president of ASU Students for Obama.

Goegan argued that Obama has already made significant accomplishments as a U.S. senator and as the nation's leader.

Recent recipients of honorary degrees at ASU include J. Craig Venter, an internationally known scientist credited for developing high-volume genome sequencing, and Wu Qidi, vice minister of education of the People's Republic of China. The university said it had no plans to award any honorary degrees this year.

Obama will, however, receive an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University of Notre Dame when he delivers a commencement speech there on May 17.

__
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2009/04/no_degree_but_asu_names_scholarship_for_obama.php

jAZ
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
It's a dumb decision to lie about the reasons. What do you think the real reasons are?

I haven't heard anything directly. I don't know the people on the selection committee. It would be easy to guess politics.

This is the home state & city of John McCain. That first explanation reads exactly like a 2008 Republcian campaign talking point.

But it would just be a guess.

In theory, it's possible that they have a rule that says no current politicians documented somewhere and the current committee members weren't aware that they have made numerous exceptions to such rules in the past.

I honestly don't know. Since it's ASU, it's reasonable that we all assume the worst. :p

alanm
04-12-2009, 02:21 PM
My conclusion is that not everybody loves Obama. Shocking isn't it? :eek:

googlegoogle
04-12-2009, 07:00 PM
honorary degrees are dumb.

The real question is why Jaz is worked up about this.

BigRedChief
04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Honorary degrees are kind of stupid in my opinion.
THIS!

patteeu
04-13-2009, 06:11 AM
honorary degrees are dumb.

The real question is why Jaz is worked up about this.

He worships Obama like the Taliban worship Allah and he hates ASU like a Jayhawk hates Mizzou. Or something like that.

blaise
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
All US colleges should immediately give Obama honorary degrees. Then all airports should be named Barack Obama Airport (which may get a little confusing, but a few missed flights and crashes are a small price to pay when we're talking about honoring the greatest man in the history of the world). They should rename Washington DC, "Baracksburg", Illinois should be called Michelle Obamaland, and New York and L.A. should be named after the Obama daughters.
The planets will soon be renamed based on the sound of the farts Obama makes, and the history books should now reflect that Obama invented the telephone, electricity, the microwave, and even the internet (all apologies to Al Gore, but his sun doesn't shine nearly as brightly as the Chosen One).
How dare ASU deny him his honorary degree. How DARE them!

Brock
04-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Why would anyone care about this?

blaise
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Why would anyone care about this?

Because apparently this is the "dumbest decision ever made".

Garcia Bronco
04-13-2009, 07:44 AM
LOL. Jaz's own school doesn't want to really have anything to do with our President.

patteeu
04-13-2009, 07:48 AM
LOL. Jaz's own school doesn't want to really have anything to do with our President.

I think jAZ is an Arizona guy, which helps explain why he's eager to piss on ASU.

Garcia Bronco
04-13-2009, 07:51 AM
I think jAZ is an Arizona guy, which helps explain why he's eager to piss on ASU.

LOL. Likes there is really a difference. :D

jAZ
04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
LOL. Likes there is really a difference. :D

Typical Raider fan.

patteeu
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Raider fan.

LMAO

Garcia Bronco
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
That's low. Even for Chief fans.

vailpass
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I thought all degrees from ASU were honorary.

Mojo Jojo
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Just to stir it up...
BHO needs all the Honorary Degrees he can get to go along with his Honorary Birth Certificate. I think I can sell this story to Fox News or Rush.

Adept Havelock
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Just to stir it up...
BHO needs all the Honorary Degrees he can get to go along with his Honorary Birth Certificate. I think I can sell this story to Fox News or Rush.

If not, you could probably sell it to to HCF, his lover sportsshrink, and their lovechild googlegoogle. :shrug: