PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs OT: Buying a Condo/Townhome or not?

jaa1025
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Now is a great time to buy obviously, but I'm debating whether or not to buy a Condo or Townhome vs buying a house. I really can't afford the type of house that I want because of a ridiculous car payment so I'm stuck between the 120-130k range which won't be the house I would most likely like. I'm just concerned though on the difficulty of reselling it. I want to stay in Johnson County and prefer to live in Olathe.

Any advice?

ferrarispider95
04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Well that is what I bought first, but different circumstances. I bought a really nice town house for 75k and when I move out I leased it for $700 / month.

However, in the 120 - 130 market, you will probably not be able to lease it out when you are done, unless the rent is obscene in your area.

I do find, that they are considerably cheaper for utility bills, and our lawn and snow maintenance is taken care of for $25 a month, so saves me a ton of time.

I can't give you an idea on resell vs a house, it will probably be a tougher sell, but being more efficient and a lot of costs shared (ie. roof), it has a lot of advantages.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
IMHO you'd be better off to buy a lower end home than a condo or townhouse. They are harder to resell.

Frazod
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
With condos come condo associations and boards. Mine's not much of a problem, although they do fuck with us occasionally. I would do some research on the association before buying, and talk to some residents to get their feelings. A bad or power-mad condo board can make your life miserable. And a financially insolvent association can make you liable for a truckload of money.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I've got a duplex, well, half of one, and I enjoy it. It is not maint. free but they do mow the lawn and shovel the snow and maintain the sprinkler system.

Joie
04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
How important is a yard to you? Do you mind living close to your neighbors? How do you feel about participating in an HOA? How important is it for your home to be lower maintenance (ie: snow removal and yard work)?

Answer these questions and you may have your answer. A yard is pretty important to us, and we prefer some distance from our neighbors so we're opting for a house instead.

Donger
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Buy a house. I just bought a new one and thoroughly enjoyed raping the sellers. They looked like they wanted to kill me at closing.

EyePod
04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I love when I sort the posts so it only shows Chiefs stuff, and I get this bullshit. Quit your job, become a bum.