PDA

View Full Version : Media Rate the Supreme Court judges.

Direckshun
04-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Kind of a bullshit topic more than anything.

Based on your shitty-to-excellent knowledge of all things Supreme Court, rate which judges you believe to be excellent, adequate, inadequate, or downright shitty.

Taco John
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I think you should quit running from the last bullshit topic thread you started and save some face over there by stating your non-vauge case for earmark reforms.

Taco John
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205764

Direckshun
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
My opinion. Curious on yours.

Excellent

Ginsburg
Roberts

Well Performing

Kennedy
Breyer
Alito

Eh... Adequate

Souter
Stevens

No thank you.

Scalia

Ugh.

Thomas

Taco John
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's my opinion:
--------------------------------------------------->Your Thread on Earmark Reform (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205764)

http://www.weeklyreader.com/readandwriting/content/binary/running%20scared.jpeg<--------You

Jenson71
04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Of the opinions I've read, Scalia, Kennedy, and Stevens stand out as descriptive and clear in the law arguments they're addressing. Scalia especially is entertaining to read, and listen to on the bench (oyez.org) as he grills lawyers. That's a conservative, a moderate, and a liberal. Scalia will dissent or add another opinion if there's one thing he disagrees with, so you have to admire his tenacity and thoroughness (he has said before he owes it to people to dissent and write opinions), even if you disagree with his legal philosophy. Thomas often tags along with Scalia on the cases I've had to read, and also insert disagreements with legal principles as old as judicial review. I kind of feel bad for him for all the criticism he gets, like not being smart enough and stuff. Ginsburg, Roberts, Alito, Breyer - although I know their stances on most things, I don't remember reading any of their opinions.

SBK
04-14-2009, 11:43 PM
My opinion. Curious on yours.

Excellent

Ginsburg
Roberts

Well Performing

Kennedy
Breyer
Alito

Eh... Adequate

Souter
Stevens

No thank you.

Scalia

Ugh.

Thomas

YOU RACIST BASTARD!!!!!

Us on the right can play that game too.

Mr. Kotter
04-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Direckshun...

So, who's the local Grand Wizard of your local chapter of the KKK?

:spock:

patteeu
04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Mostly Good: Thomas, Scalia, Alito, Roberts

Unreliable: Kennedy

Mostly Bad: Ginsberg, Souter, Stevens, Breyer

patteeu
04-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Ugh.

Thomas

The only black man doesn't even get a real English word as his description, but instead a primitive grunt? WTF is that supposed to mean?

;)

Garcia Bronco
04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I've met Thomas several times. (I went ot school with his son) Great guy.

BucEyedPea
04-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Decent: Kennedy

I'd go with this with one revision.

KC native
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
YOU RACIST BASTARD!!!!!

Us on the right can play that game too.

:shake: Did he use racial slurs to describe as some here have about Hispanics or Somalis?

SNR
04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
:shake: Did he use racial slurs to describe as some here have about Hispanics or Somalis?Must you take something glorious and pure like a racism joke and turn it into another shit-slinging fight?

patteeu
04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
:shake: Did he use racial slurs to describe as some here have about Hispanics or Somalis?

"Ugh" used as commentary about a black man is thinly veiled racism. Join me in trying to get such offensive non-words purged from our message board vocabulary. I'm sure Direckshun is just repeating sounds he's heard growing up without really thinking about the pain they cause, but the sooner we stop describing black men this way, the sooner we'll be singing kumbuya and eating fried chicken livers together at the local integrated watering hole.

KC native
04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Must you take something glorious and pure like a racism joke and turn it into another shit-slinging fight?

Oh, that was a joke? It wasn't very funny. :D

banyon
04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Breyer - A solid and diligent thinker in the "William Brennan" mode. I find his analysis usually practical and well-grounded.

Roberts - a competent administrator and in touch with the Court's relationship to the public. I disagreed on a couple of cases, but don't have any substantial disagreements so far.

Kennedy- thoughtful swing voter, a bit sketchy

Ginsburg- She is dealing with a great number of physical ailments. Her mind seems to wander and isn't firmly rooted enough in this country's legal traditions.

Souter- underrated, but seems to have a good sense of what is right.

Stevens - Too old these days, and has a very "Sandra Day O'Connor-esque" case by case "what's fair" type of approach that makes precedential value often useless or frustrating.

Scalia- Brilliant, temperamental. But his ties to his judicial interpetation philosophy often seem contrived in his opinions to yield the desired result. He is very funny and entertaining in person, surprisingly.

Alito- has a bad history, and I haven't seen enough to dispell it yet.
Thomas- a dullard who just goes along with the crowd. Nice in person though.

Amnorix
04-15-2009, 12:30 PM

Unreliable: Kennedy

I see you're pretty result driven.

Amnorix
04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm with Banyon by and large. Other than Thomas, all seem at least capable of serving on the Court. Thomas is unfortunately a weak link.

Scalia is brilliant, but hypocritical. He is entirely results driven, while trying to take a high moralistic/crusading stance on principle and saying that others fail to reach his lofty heights. It's a joke.

patteeu
04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I see you're pretty result driven.

Definitely. I favor results that don't further erode our constitution. I'm less impressed with innovative thinking and fancy word play than some.

Mr. Kotter
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
....Ginsburg/Stevens/Breyer are brilliant, but hypocritical. They are entirely results driven, while trying to take a high moralistic/crusading stance on principle and saying that others fail to reach his lofty heights. It's a joke.

FYP

;)

Amnorix
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
FYP

;)

It wasn't broken.

Jenson71
04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I think it's safe to say about 95% of American's knowledge on Supreme Court justices leans more towards "shitty" on the shitty-to-excellent scale. The press just does not cover the Court above the occassional controversial (attention-getting) cases, like torture, abortion, guns. I doubt most voting aged citizens could name more than 2 or 3 justices (Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg) if any. I think that definitely makes sense though, being how separated they are from the electorate.

orange
04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
It wasn't broken.

I think he meant "fixed" like you fix a dog.

http://tahospital.com/surgery/images/Canine%20Neuter_img_0.jpg

Amnorix
04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely. I favor results that don't further erode our constitution. I'm less impressed with innovative thinking and fancy word play than some.

ROFLROFLROFL

SBK
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
BLACK MEN ARE INCAPABLE OF SERVING ON THE SUPREME COURT.

Love,
CP Liberals

Jenson71
04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
BLACK MEN ARE INCAPABLE OF SERVING ON THE SUPREME COURT.

Love,
CP Liberals

The first one was pretty good.

SBK
04-15-2009, 03:54 PM
The first one was pretty good.

People who don't vote for Obama = racist
People who don't support Obama = racist
People who are fed up with gov't = racist
People attending tea parties today = racist

Need I continue?

Jenson71
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Need I continue?

Who said that?

KC native
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Who said that?

No one, some people on here are still butt hurt that some racists were called out in the immigration thread.

Brock
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
No one, some people on here are still laughing at me for showing my ass in the immigration thread.

FYP

KC native
04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
FYP

Oh that's right I forgot. Racism against Hispanics is perfectly fine here. Silly me.

banyon
04-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Need I continue?

How about people who use racist slurs are racists?

(note: I didn't see you do this, so I'm not sure why you're being sensitive about it)

Brock
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh that's right I forgot. Racism against Hispanics is perfectly fine here. Silly me.

People who see racism everywhere they look are funny.

Taco John
04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Here's my opinion:
--------------------------------------------------->Direckshun's Thread on Earmark Reform (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205764)

http://www.weeklyreader.com/readandwriting/content/binary/running%20scared.jpeg<--------Direckshun

;)

SBK
04-15-2009, 11:29 PM
How about people who use racist slurs are racists?

(note: I didn't see you do this, so I'm not sure why you're being sensitive about it)

I'm not sensitive about it. I'm pointing out the absurd by being absurd. :D

SBK
04-15-2009, 11:30 PM
No one, some people on here are still butt hurt that some racists were called out in the immigration thread.

If you're referring to my calling folks racist, I'm making fun of each person here who said people that disagreed with Obama, or didn't think he was prepared to be POTUS were racist.