PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Glen Dorsey as a 3-4 DE

jAZ
04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I saw this discussion from April 2008 and thought it was worth sharing...

It's from a discussion of a mock draft of last year's draft that resulted in the Jets taking Glen Dorsey and discussing why and how they expected him to be used.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/story/2008/4/3/194957/4851

Here's the pick and justification...

My plan is for them to move newly acquired Jenkins to NT, trade disgruntked D. Robertson, and have Dorsey be a starting DE in the 3-4 alignment. Dorsey, is a huge disrupter, powerful tackler, creates havoc along the OL, outstanding initial quickness, change of direction is exceptional for a big man. He is a great run stuffer AND consistently generates pressure on the QB despite double teams.

The Jets finished 29th in rushing yards/game allowed and Dorsey will help big-time. Additionally, as the Giant's demonstrated so beautifuly, you MUST pressure Brady to beat the Pats...Dorsey will command attention along the OL and free up the LB's, like Calvin Pace, to apply consitent pressure on the QB.

Saying Dorsey isn't durable is only speculation. His physical greatness, on
the other hand, is undeniable. Dorsey has the size, speed, and quick first
step after the snap to be a force in the NFL.

I realize there are durability concerns but he is worth the risk (remember, at one point he was considered maybe the best prospect in the entire draft). Also, there will be the question if he is better suited for a 4-3 or 3-4. It is a valid point but in my opinion, he will be a force in any system and will provide much needed big-time prescence in the trenches for the Jets defense...too good to pass up.

Here's the first criticism...

Dosey - in the 3-4? I agree that Dorsey is the next most talented guy, but I don't think the Jets go with him because he is strictly a 4-3, three technique DT. He is absolutely dominant in that role because of his quickness and explosiveness. I just don't see a team diminishing his skills by putting him as a 3-4 DE. In this scenario I think the Jest go with a corner like DRC/Jenkins/McKelvin (whoever they rate the highest). In reality I think McFadden goes here.

And the response...

Dorsey yeah, I thought about the 3-4/4-3 issue. One report that swayed me said one of his strengths is to absorbed double teams and still make plays in the running and passing game. As we know, a major role of the DE in the 3-4, is to create disruption, create double teams that allow OLB and ILB to make plays...he can do that and still make plays himself. I agree on McFadden and CB, probably would have been the safer (and smarter?) pick, but what the hell, I don't have to actually pay the guy so it's worth the risk...

The followup...

I hear that Dorsey eats up double teams and makes plays. All the video I see is him penetrating and making a tackle for a loss and that's why I think a 4-3 team will draft him. But the reason they are highlights is because they are great plays in the backfield and as a 3-4 DE, we all know they are often under appreciated. It would be very interesting to see Dorsey in that role and see if he could excel.

Another comment...

Man, I was hoping he'd fall to the Bengals. I thought I was home free after pick 4, but the Jets probably would take him. I think he would still be a great 3-4 DE. He's probably better in that role than Long, in all honesty. He's more beefy.

salame
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
I am not flaming you, but he would be the smallest d-lineman on the pats or cards

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Dorsey will be playing nose tackle.

salame
04-26-2009, 01:10 AM

fact?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM
fact?

I think they're gonna try it for this season, if it doesn't work they'll move on from him.

salame
04-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I guess watching him getting blown off the line of scrimmage often last year taught them nothing?

luv
04-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm surprised he didn't get traded.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:13 AM
I guess watching him getting blown off the line of scrimmage often last year taught them nothing?

They don't have much choice, he can't play 3-4 end and we have no nose. We aren't a competitive team right now anyhow might aswell see what the players we have now can do and if they fit or not..

It won't be nearly as bad as when you have to watch Hali playing OLB.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm surprised he didn't get traded.

The only team that made sense ended up with a player similar granted he doesnt have the same skill set but it didnt cost them anything.

salame
Tamba Hali is a really bad player
even worse than Dorsey
I was so excited about Dorsey last year
what a waste

MoreLemonPledge

This.

luv
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
They don't have much choice, he can't play 3-4 end and we have no nose. We aren't a competitive team right now anyhow might aswell see what the players we have now can do and if they fit or not..

Haley said something about getting him 'IN SHAPE". Do you thing that had to do with NT?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
LOL atleast you guys agree with that...there are people here who think Hali is gonna be good in that role, I'm not kidding.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Haley said something about getting him 'IN SHAPE". Do you thing that had to do with NT?

Basically to get in shape for NT he needs to go hang with Whitlock at Gates and Arthur Bryants.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Basically to get in shape for NT he needs to go hang with Whitlock at Gates and Arthur Bryants.

http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jason2whitlock.jpg

luv
04-26-2009, 01:21 AM

So, a NT just has to be large?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:24 AM

Yea 3-4 NT needs to be a hugely mammoth strong guy...think Ted Washington.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 01:24 AM

NT is really the lynchpin of the 3-4 Defense. Being large is definitely a qualification, but he also has to penetrate, often with two blockers on him.

A prototypical NT is really hard to find.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Eh alot of 3-4 NT's don't penetrate Ted Washington never did, some can but I don't think it's a requirement.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 01:26 AM

In the 3-4 it helps. The most successful ones are huge guys because they play over the center and control both gaps on either side of him. Basically their job is to take up blockers to free the linebackers.

luv
04-26-2009, 01:26 AM
NT is really the lynchpin of the 3-4 Defense. Being large is definitely a qualification, but he also has to penetrate, often with two blockers on him.

A prototypical NT is really hard to find.

Okay. So....any chance Dorsey could fit the role. Some were expecting him to be traded.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Okay. So....any chance Dorsey could fit the role. Some were expecting him to be traded.

I look for him to at least get a shot at it this year.

luv
04-26-2009, 01:27 AM
In the 3-4 it helps. The most successful ones are huge guys because they play over the center and control both gaps on either side of him. Basically their job is to take up blockers to free the linebackers.

So, not necessarily large, but able to take on more than one offensive lineman?

nathanKent
04-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I am not flaming you, but he would be the smallest d-lineman on the pats or cards

That's true, with the exception of the ones he's bigger than.

luv
04-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I look for him to at least get a shot at it this year.

What should I be looking for in seeing if he stacks up?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:29 AM
So, not necessarily large, but able to take on more than one offensive lineman?

Sure but a smaller guy being able to do it is rare because if he's small he's usually not going to be strong enough to avoid getting blown out of the play by 2 lineman. A 3-4 NT needs to successfully be able to handle 2 sometimes 3 guys by himself.

Mecca

See if he holds is ground if he can stand 2 guys up he's doing his job, if he routinely gets blown out of plays shoved 5 and 10 yards back off the line, he's sucking at it.

MoreLemonPledge

Not falling on his ass our getting pushed upfield. If he can at least hold blockers consistently, he'll be successful.

Nightfyre
04-26-2009, 01:30 AM
If they trade him because he doesn't work out at NT I will be pissed. He is the IDEAL DE in the 3-4 less height.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:32 AM
If they trade him because he doesn't work out at NT I will be pissed. He is the IDEAL DE in the 3-4 less height.

He's not ideal, he's stubby...Ideal 3-4 ends are 6'4-6'6 and weigh 290-300lbs...

nathanKent
04-26-2009, 01:33 AM

Height isn't the real issue either. It's arm length, which is usually proportional to height. Unless you're Glenn Dorsey:

http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/draft/pro-days/80398087BL_LSU_11.jpg

mylittlepony
04-26-2009, 01:36 AM
I think they should trade him straight away. Now is the best time to get value for him. He wont fit in the new system and will probably have a poor year. KC could probably just say that he had rookie jitters this year and get a respectable pick. Next year he is going to be a bust for sure.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I think they should trade him straight away. Now is the best time to get value for him. He wont fit in the new system and will probably have a poor year. KC could probably just say that he had rookie jitters this year and get a respectable pick. Next year he is going to be a bust for sure.

If they were gonna do that it should have happened already everyone made their 1st round picks already.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
I know I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, but I would assume if he didn't fit the scheme and we were given an offer that wasn't laughable, we would have traded him. I think (hope) they have big plans for him.

Tribal Warfare
04-26-2009, 01:41 AM
He's not ideal, he's stubby...Ideal 3-4 ends are 6'4-6'6 and weigh 290-300lbs...

the guy has 35 inch arms, he's 6'1" but he isn't built short.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Also Dorsey's first name is spelled wrong in the title.

Nightfyre
04-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Some people are capable of breaking your prototypical mold. Dorsey is a highly-capable single-gap penetrator who is extremely quick off the line and extremely effective against double teams. That is exactly what you want from your 3-4 DEs. He fills the role.

mylittlepony
04-26-2009, 01:44 AM
If they were gonna do that it should have happened already everyone made their 1st round picks already.

Thats true, and it is what worries me.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Some people are capable of breaking your prototypical mold. Dorsey is a highly-capable single-gap penetrator who is extremely quick off the line and extremely effective against double teams. That is exactly what you want from your 3-4 DEs. He fills the role.

Like I said he'll get a chance but it's pretty obvious this is gonna be a 3-4 team.

Nightfyre
04-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Like I said he'll get a chance but it's pretty obvious this is gonna be a 3-4 team.

It looks to me like they're setting him up to fail at a 2-gap NT position. Which is just as bad if not worse than misusing him at NT in the 4-3.

TRR
04-26-2009, 02:19 AM
There is no reason why Dorsey can not be a success as a 3-4 DE. Not every player the Patriots have fit the ideal height/weight requirements. Dorsey is a football player, and a good one. KC's line is set as I believe Tank Tyler will add some weight and fill the NT role with Dorsey moving outside. Add in Jackson, and McBride into the rotation, and your line is set.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
04-26-2009, 02:38 AM
We're gonna end up drafting Cody next year...

And honestly I want you to show me a 3-4 team that has an end that is physically comparable to Dorsey, Dallas has an NT that is in Ratliff so that's one guy at NT..point me to an end.

DeepSouth
04-26-2009, 02:41 AM

I remember watching the Cards line Docket up at nose tackle in a 3-4 during the super bowl. I thought at the time that Docket was small for a DT based on all that I had heard. However, he was the one causing all the havoc in the backfield of the Steelers. He weighs less than Dorsey. Docket only weighs 285 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/players/darnelldockett/profile?id=DOC428041

Docket had three sacks against the Steelers in the Super Bowl;

http://www.nfl.com/players/darnelldockett/gamelogs?id=DOC428041

Mecca
04-26-2009, 02:42 AM
In fairness here Dockett is a really rare looking lineman, he's tall, he has very long arms and he's ripped as a motherfucker, he's as strong as a 330lb man.

DeepSouth
04-26-2009, 02:46 AM
In fairness here Dockett is a really rare looking lineman, he's tall, he has very long arms and he's ripped as a mother****er, he's as strong as a 330lb man.

Quite true. But I hope the brain trust now running the show at Arrowhead can figure out how to use the existing players in a way for them to be productive. Dorsey was rated high on everyone's draft board. I'd like to think they can find a place for him no matter whether they run a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Quite true. But I hope the brain trust now running the show at Arrowhead can figure out how to use the existing players in a way for them to be productive. Dorsey was rated high on everyone's draft board. I'd like to think they can find a place for him no matter whether they run a 4-3 or a 3-4.

If they don't find a spot for him, they won't be the first or last regime that flushes a previous ones top 5 pick because he doesn't fit their scheme.

At this point Dorseys best bet is to work out like a fucker get really strong and see if he can be like Jay Ratliff.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 02:52 AM
Hmmmm...I'm really surprised that this is the only thread tagged meccalikescoloredboypenis

Crush
04-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Hmmmm...I'm really surprised that this is the only thread tagged meccalikescoloredboypenis

Alas, the brilliant tags are going to be shutdown at noon so enjoy them while you still can.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Alas, the brilliant tags are going to be shutdown at noon so enjoy them while you still can.

****!

Crush
04-26-2009, 02:56 AM
****!

I know, but the mods have spoken.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 02:57 AM
What kinda tag is that.......there are alot of things that can be said about me but that?

Crush
04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
Well, there is a 25 character limit to the tags. The tags are a naturally occurring phenomenon that can never be truly fathomed by any single individual.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 02:59 AM
I didn't tag it, but it may be a reference to this:

http://www.ljcfyi.com/blog/2007/may2007/koolAid_pickle.jpg

Crush
04-26-2009, 03:08 AM
I didn't tag it, but it may be a reference to this:

http://www.ljcfyi.com/blog/2007/may2007/koolAid_pickle.jpg

Still scary.

Dick Bull
04-26-2009, 03:15 AM
What kinda tag is that.......there are alot of things that can be said about me but that?

So you like just white boy penis?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 03:17 AM
So you like just white boy penis?

Nah I like the tranny penis.....and yes I'm kidding.

Dick Bull
04-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Nah I like the tranny penis.....and yes I'm kidding.

Oh I know your kidding....

Just remember if a chicks says her name is Julia in a voice that screams its really steve, Run. Run like hell and hope it isn't the raiders first round draft pick. He's fast.

Crush
04-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Oh I know your kidding....

Just remember if a chicks says her name is Julia in a voice that screams its really steve, Run. Run like hell and hope it isn't the raiders first round draft pick. He's fast.

I bet he is not as fast as the second round pick, Mike Mitchell.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Mike Mitchell was on on the Peterson draft board.

Dick Bull
04-26-2009, 03:24 AM
I bet he is not as fast as the second round pick, Mike Mitchell.

He doesn't have to be faster than Mike Mitchell, just faster than Mecca.

TEX
04-26-2009, 07:13 AM

Was thinking the same thing...

TEX
04-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Tamba Hali is a really bad player
even worse than Dorsey
I was so excited about Dorsey last year
what a waste

Yep - both are bad regardless of the system. I'm afraid that's gonna be the norm regarding Herm's D-linemen picks. Maybe the most serviceable will be Tank...Who knows? I'm hoping we can get "something" form the group. Maybe better coaching will help.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Was thinking the same thing...

Yeah I bet Pioli was pissed he didn't get rid of Wilfork, Seymour, and Ty WArren after watching them get blown off the ball over and over again in their rookie years right? :rolleyes:

Iowanian
04-26-2009, 07:26 AM
It seems to me that Ron Edwards is big enough to take some reps at the nose and Alphonso Boone would be an option as a 3-4 DE.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 07:33 AM
It seems to me that Ron Edwards is big enough to take some reps at the nose and Alphonso Boone would be an option as a 3-4 DE.

If Boone can line up at 4-3 DE and not get totally dominated, he can play DE in the 3-4. Might actually be the best fit for him.

And don't forget McBride.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Imo Dorsey is either a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4. I guess we have decided to play him at NT in a 3-4.

what a waste. :(

salame
04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
That's true, with the exception of the ones he's bigger than.

Better do a google search man

salame
04-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I remember watching the Cards line Docket up at nose tackle in a 3-4 during the super bowl. I thought at the time that Docket was small for a DT based on all that I had heard. However, he was the one causing all the havoc in the backfield of the Steelers. He weighs less than Dorsey. Docket only weighs 285 lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/players/darnelldockett/profile?id=DOC428041

Docket had three sacks against the Steelers in the Super Bowl;

http://www.nfl.com/players/darnelldockett/gamelogs?id=DOC428041

He is also 6 foot 4 with much longer arms thus creating more leverage

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Arm length has nothing to do with being able to CREATE leverage. You are aware that 6'2" 285 pound short armed La Roi Glover played nose tackle in a true 3-4 front and was bad ass doing it?

You guys are clueless about this shit. Quit reading combine reports.

salame
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Arm length has nothing to do with being able to CREATE leverage. You are aware that 6'2" 285 pound short armed La Roi Glover played nose tackle in a true 3-4 front and was bad ass doing it?

His 26 tackle a year career average sure is awesome.

Spicy McHaggis
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
the guy has 35 inch arms, he's 6'1" but he isn't built short.

This may be his saving grace in the 3-4 and it's something that often gets thrown out in the conversation of whether he fits in or not.

He's not ideal height wise but he has the lower body to anchor and the arms to maintain separation. I guess only time will tell.

beach tribe
04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
He will play 3-4 end. What's not to understand. We need a rotation.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:38 AM

You're using tackle stats to determine how effective a guy playing inside is?

Wow you really are a moron.

salame
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
You're using tackle stats to determine how effective a guy playing inside is?

Wow you really are a moron.

Vince Wilfork does'nt have a problem getting tackles
Neither Does Jamal Williams

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Vince Wilfork does'nt have a problem getting tackles
Neither Does Jamal Williams

And neither did Glover when he was in his prime now did he? So why the F are you talkin about his career average????? Somehow he made it to 6 pro bowls.

salame
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
pro bowl is a joke

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Glover played 1-gap and 2-gap in his career, too.

This idea that Dorsey absolutely cannot play NT is crazy. If, IF, they play a hybrid 30 front with a 3-technique, then he could play DE. But if they move to a classic 2-gap or even just use 2-gap packages, he's NOT going to play a 5T.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 11:36 AM
pro bowl is a joke

Even so, LaRoi Glover was a DOMINANT player.

Nightfyre
04-26-2009, 11:36 AM
My concern with Dorsey at the two-gap isn't that he's not capable. It's that you aren't making the most of him.

jAZ
04-26-2009, 11:56 AM
My concern with Dorsey at the two-gap isn't that he's not capable. It's that you aren't making the most of him.

That doesn't matter 1 bit. If the Defense is strong with him playing for us, and it's less strong without, then we win with him.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM
That doesn't matter 1 bit. If the Defense is strong with him playing for us, and it's less strong without, then we win with him.

This.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea 3-4 NT needs to be a hugely mammoth strong guy...think Ted Washington.

There are many guys who have played well at NT in the 3-4 without being massive guys.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Height creates LESS leverage, not more. It means he has to bend his knees MORE to get low.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah, lets measure NT's on there TACKLE stats, that is freaking moronic.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Your bend creates leverage guys. Arms have almost nothing to do with it. If you don't get good knee bend and good hip explosion then you will fail to get leverage against your opponent. Arm length is the most overrated aspect of defensive line scouting. James Harrison has t-rex arms but he knows how to use knee bend and get under guys to win the leverage battle. What the arms are used for is extension, then rip, swim, whatever. Not leverage.

PGM
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
In the recent Q and A with Haley he said that Dorsey would not be playing inside over the nose. At least right away. He'd be an end.

He said that Tank and Edwards would be in the mix for nose.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
LOL atleast you guys agree with that...there are people here who think Hali is gonna be good in that role, I'm not kidding.

Can't wait till the season starts.

Jethopper
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM

fact

Jethopper
04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
There are many guys who have played well at NT in the 3-4 without being massive guys.

True look at the Superbowl champs.

Douche Baggins
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Warren, Was it hard for you to transition from a four man front in Tampa to a 3 man front in Oakland? Do you think Glenn Dorsey can do it in K.C.?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//catch_all/nfl_image/warren_sapp_40x55.jpg Warren Sapp, NFL Network

Glenn Dorsey's in trouble and so is Kansas City for trying to force him. Thank God I only had to do it for 16 games. It's not hard, it just takes away all the advantages you possess. Being fast, quick, agile in the 4-3. The 3-4 doesn't allow your talents to come out.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Dorsey, is a huge disrupter, powerful tackler, creates havoc along the OL, outstanding initial quickness, change of direction is exceptional for a big man. He is a great run stuffer AND consistently generates pressure on the QB despite double teams.

It would have been great to see that, regardless of the alignment he plays in. I'm not writing him off by any means. But he certainly did not live up to the hype even for a rookie. I hope like hell he will grow into this level of ball this year.

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
A "once in a generation" player is supposed to have a much better rookie season than he had last year.

talastan
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
A "once in a generation" player is supposed to have a much better rookie season than he had last year.

Really? And the fact that his rookie season was better than Warren Sapp doesn't mean anything huh? :spock:

RustShack
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
It would have been great to see that, regardless of the alignment he plays in. I'm not writing him off by any means. But he certainly did not live up to the hype even for a rookie. I hope like hell he will grow into this level of ball this year.

He had one of the best seasons of any great rookie DT and he didn't live up to the expectations? Are you fucking stupid?

Cannibal
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
He had one of the best seasons of any great rookie DT and he didn't live up to the expectations? Are you fucking stupid?

32 solo tackles and 1 sack.

I expected MUCH more given the hype when he was drafted...

F UCK HOLE.

sedated
05-15-2009, 03:12 PM
he will be a force in any system and will provide much needed big-time prescence in the trenches for the Jets defense...too good to pass up.

mm hmm

suds79
05-15-2009, 03:37 PM

name some. Because the big ones are what everybody wants & is looking for.

Shawn Rogers
Vince Wilfork
Jamal Williams
Casey Hampton

Dorsey has to be a 3-4 DE. He has the weight (hovering around 300). He's just shorter. Well he's going to have to deal with that. 3-4 DEs just eat up blockers anyways.

Reaper16
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM

F UCK HOLE.
Awful post.

RustShack
05-16-2009, 12:41 AM

F UCK HOLE.

You realize he was lined up at NT all year which just takes up blocks right? He wasn't playing DE or LB.

htismaqe
05-16-2009, 06:32 AM
name some. Because the big ones are what everybody wants & is looking for.

Shawn Rogers
Vince Wilfork
Jamal Williams
Casey Hampton

Dorsey has to be a 3-4 DE. He has the weight (hovering around 300). He's just shorter. Well he's going to have to deal with that. 3-4 DEs just eat up blockers anyways.

The idea that he HAS to be a 3-4 DE is ridiculous. He might not be a 3-4 ANYTHING.

Chiefnj2
05-16-2009, 08:18 AM
During OTA's didn't Dorsey sit out because of injury? Has anyone in KC gotten the scoop on what it was? All of those pre-draft rumors of knee/leg concerns with Dorsey may have had some justification and helps explain his lackluster start last year.