PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Magee (DT)

bigdreams1
04-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Why the hell did we pick two 3-4 DE's. I would have rather had Michael Johnson or Duke Robinson.

Bwana
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Overview
The consummate team player, Magee volunteered to move to defensive end from his familiar defensive tackle position when injuries depleted the depth at that position in 2008. Learning a new position was sort of a baptism under fire for the former right tackle who also had to switch sides, moving over to left end.

While his numbers did not stand out like in previous seasons, he also provided valuable leadership for a young, but inexperienced defensive unit in head coach Joe Tiller's final season. It was Magee's task to serve as the unit's policeman, making sure that everyone was positioned right and knew their assignments. Policing the defense was appropriate for the senior, who hopes to one day work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the Drug Enforcement Agency.

At Oswego High School, Magee was rated the 32nd-best defensive tackle in the nation and the 14th-best player in the state of Illinois by Rivals.com. He earned All-Midwest honors from Prep Football Report and was listed among ChicagoSports.com's Top 100 players.

The Class 7A first-team All-State selection recorded 60 tackles, including 11 for loss and eight sacks as a senior, earning Conference Player of the Year honors. An All-State pick his junior season, he also played fullback in short-yardage situations.

Magee saw action in 11 games at Purdue during his freshman year. He posted 18 tackles (10 solos) with a stop behind the line of scrimmage in 2005, earning starting assignment at right defensive tackle vs. Wisconsin and Penn State. He competed in 14 games in 2006, starting half of those contests. He had 2.5 sacks to go with 33 tackles (20 solos), as he recorded his only collegiate interception and blocked a kick.

Magee lined up as the starting right defensive tackle in all 13 games as a junior. He posted a career-high 38 tackles (24 solos) that included 4.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He recovered two fumbles, caused another and blocked two kicks.

Shifting to left defensive end in 2008, Magee's statistics were down a bit, but he gained valuable experience as a pass rusher coming off the edge. He produced a career-high 3.5 sacks while making six stops behind the line of scrimmage. He collected 28 tackles (14 solos) while recovering and causing a fumble.

Rudy lost the toss
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
no way to Johnson with Chan on the staff

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Because our current DEs suck historic amounts of ass in both the 3-4 and 4-3?

Bwana
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Hmmm? I have no idea what to think about this pick.

kstater
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Worst. pass. rush. in. History.

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Because we have absolutely nothing at 3-4 DE, and because both of these players are very, very good.

McBride and (maybe) Boone were the only players we had that remotely fit. Pioli has decided, rightly, that neither one is good enough.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking anyone drafted on the DL during the Herm years better be updating their resumes.

milkman
Sounds like a character guy with some versatility, which fits what Pioli is trying to build.

htismaqe
Because we need 3-4 ends. This pretty much puts to rest the idea that Dorsey is a DE in the new scheme.

bigdreams1
I really thought we were going to have Dorsey at the other end position. Now where the hell does Tank line up.

KcFanInGA
no way to Johnson with Chan on the staff

Why? Usually a player would love to have the same position coach.

Nero's Neptune
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Exactly. KC was 30th against the run last year, and had the worst pass rush in NFL history. That tells you how epically bad the d-line was...

Coach
Hmmm? I have no idea what to think about this pick.

Well, D-line was one of the major needs for this team. I mean, 10 sacks last season?

Yeah. Only time will tell though.

Ultra Peanut
I really thought we were going to have Dorsey at the other end position. Now where the hell does Tank line up.Dorsey working out in a 3-4 is now and has always been a pipe dream.

Infidel Goat
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1644

"Alex Magee lowered his 40 yard dash time to an impressive 4.82 seconds at his Pro Day workout. He has been quietly making his case as the second best 3-4 end prospect in the draft behind Tyson Jackson. Magee will likely be selected in the early third round."

kstater
04-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Now where the hell does Tank line up.

I'm guessing playing pixie sticks on the sideline with the other scrubs.

KCinNY
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
What's our starting DL now?

Where the hell does Dorsey fit?

Do I really have to watch Tamba Hali attempt to play OLB?

the Talking Can
Why the hell did we pick two 3-4 DE's. I would have rather had Michael Johnson or Duke Robinson.

because we're going to a 3-4 and we had 0 3-4 DE's.......t'aint calculus

KcFanInGA
I like it as long as we take either a wideout or tackle at some point today.

wild1
I really thought we were going to have Dorsey at the other end position. Now where the hell does Tank line up.

in a position battle with Dorsey.

Clearly, Pioli and Haley don't like what we have on the defensive line. They recognized that this team had the worst pass rush in NFL history last year.

rad
04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
But..but...but...Pioli had his pencil and handy dandy notebook scribbling furiously while staring at the O-line????

Huffman83

Where the hell does Dorsey fit?

Do I really have to watch Tamba Hali attempt to play OLB?

For the preseason at least....

Bwana
Well, D-line was one of the major needs for this team. I mean, 10 sacks last season?

Yeah. Only time will tell though.

I agree with this. We did need to upgrade the line in a big way. If our two picks thus far pan out, we should be in decent shape in that area.

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Exactly. KC was 30th against the run last year...

this is the most important fact, people are missing it

obviously Pioli and Haley identified this as the #1 problem to fix, even more important than the OL.....

time will tell if they were right

wild1
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1644

"Alex Magee lowered his 40 yard dash time to an impressive 4.82 seconds at his Pro Day workout. He has been quietly making his case as the second best 3-4 end prospect in the draft behind Tyson Jackson. Magee will likely be selected in the early third round."

Well, the top two at that position doesn't suck

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Where the hell does Dorsey fit?He doesn't. He never has.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 09:36 AM
The great thing is that our D-Line can't be any worse, and we seem to have upgraded pretty well.

cabletech94
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Good info, thanks Bwana!

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Front seven right now:

DE: Magee, McBride, Johnston (4-3)
DT: Tyler, Edwards
Undertackle: Dorsey
DE: Jackson, Boone, Hali (4-3)

OLB: Hali, Williams
ILB: Thomas, Beisel
ILB: Johnson, May
OLB: Vrabel, Robertson

Deberg_1990
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Does this mean they are still looking to deal Dorsey?

Tuckdaddy

We need D-line really bad. They suck.

Frankie
Mcgee is 54 on one of the two "top 100" list that I have. 2nd round material. Good pick in that sense, but damn how about an OT?!

stevieray
build it from the line out..not shocking.

the Talking Can
The consummate team player, Magee volunteered to move to defensive end from his familiar defensive tackle position when injuries depleted the depth at that position in 2008. Learning a new position was sort of a baptism under fire for the former right tackle who also had to switch sides, moving over to left end.

While his numbers did not stand out like in previous seasons, he also provided valuable leadership for a young, but inexperienced defensive unit in head coach Joe Tiller's final season. It was Magee's task to serve as the unit's policeman, making sure that everyone was positioned right and knew their assignments. Policing the defense was appropriate for the senior, who hopes to one day work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the Drug Enforcement Agency.

and they stick with the theme of guys that are committed to team and football

i have no idea if this is a good draft or not, but I give Halioli credit for being true to their stated philosophy of identifying a certain type of player....

Chiefnj2
What it means:

1. KC is jumping head first into the 3-4.
2. The coaches don't think the current players fit the DE mold of a 3-4.
3. They better grab some OL the rest of the draft and one speedy receiver.

Delano
Perfect fit for a 34 DE:

Weaknesses:
Way too inconsistent...Marginal instincts and awareness...Has trouble getting off blocks...Needs to use better leverage...Can be eliminated by double-teams... Average against the run ...Was not overly productive.

Frankie
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Does this mean they are still looking to deal Dorsey?

We'll probably keep him for the preseason and deal him for 2010 choices.

ILChief
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Has Mecca Kiper Jr. weighed in on this pick?

BigRock
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
He has been quietly making his case as the second best 3-4 end prospect in the draft behind Tyson Jackson. Magee will likely be selected in the early third round.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4639/keanuwhoa.jpg

Quick, let's dig in there and find descriptions that identify the rest of our picks. I'm thinking something like:

Projects as a solid right guard, particularly if he lines up next to a mediocre right tackle named Damion. Will probably go in the early 4th.

KChiefs1
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
sounds like a good kid.

soundmind
04-26-2009, 09:46 AM

I was personally assuming we were taking Robinson with that last pick - Pioli must not like him enough, and thinks we need the DLine help (which you'd have to agree with).

Also, Michael Johnson sucks.

Skip Towne
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Has Mecca Kiper Jr. weighed in on this pick?

He isn't here yet. He's washing his hair.

Kyle DeLexus
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I would have liked to see an OLine selection or possibly Jared Cook or Cornelius Ingram, but we had no one for the DE in the 3-4 so it makes sense.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
01/21/2009 - 2009 Senior Bowl, Tuesday practice: While Raji and Jerry were the most consistently dominant interior defensive linemen, a late addition to the North roster had scouts buzzing. Purdue's Alex Magee wasn't here for Monday's weigh-in or the initial North practice due to travel problems, but he quickly established himself as one to watch with a stellar practice Tuesday morning. Magee, 6-4, 292 pounds, had played defensive tackle throughout much of his career but moved outside to defensive end as a senior in an attempt to generate some pass rush for the Boilermakers. Blessed with quick feet and even quicker hands, Magee was consistently able to slap away pass blockers' initial punch and redirect inside. Like Jerry, Magee projects nicely as a three technique tackle. With the North's interior linemen struggling to handle Raji's strength, the inclusion of the cat-quick Magee made practice that much more challenging. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

TRR
04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
This is a scary interview...

Just WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNP7BdGABA&feature=PlayList&p=048105DE6866088B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

Mizzou_8541
04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Perfect fit for a 34 DE:

Weaknesses:
Way too inconsistent...Marginal instincts and awareness...Has trouble getting off blocks...Needs to use better leverage...Can be eliminated by double-teams... Average against the run ...Was not overly productive.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2009, 09:55 AM
2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Alex Magee, DE, Purdue
Alex Magee could join the long line of Boilermaker defenders to make it to the NFL in recent years. Purdue had a disappointing season, but Magee continued to play fairly well. He has bounced back and forth from year to year (and even game to game) between defensive tackle and defensive end while at Purdue. Magee has shown a great deal of versatility during his collegiate career. He has appeared in 50 games during his four years at Purdue. For his career he has registered 117 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 4 passes broken up in coverage, 1 interception, and forced 3 fumbles. The key to his draft status will be what position NFL GMs see him playing. He has bulked up to 295 pounds for this season, giving him the size to play defensive end in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. Magee's best position however, may be as a pass rushing under tackle, playing next to one of the big NFL space eaters at the nose tackle. Magee also gives teams a big boost in the kicking game. He has some experience lining up as the personal protector for the punter on special teams, and has blocked 3 kicks during his time at Purdue. Time will only tell if Magee's lack of a definite position hurts his stock, or makes him a target of multiple teams with diverse needs. Magee should be able to produce good combine numbers, which should elevate him in many GM's eyes. If he has good workouts, he could hear his name called sometime in the fourth round.
Alex Magee was a late add to January's Senior Bowl event. Even though he got there late, Magee was impressive. Many scouts found him to be quicker and more powerful than they had seen on tape. He recorded only 1 tackle during the game. His performance, coupled with the number of teams switching to the 3-4 defense, should help to improve his stock. Because he's an ideal fit at the 3-4 defensive end, he'll likely get drafted higher than he would have if that position wasn't so highly sought after this year.

Alex Magee had a solid workout at the NFL Combine. He ran a good time of 5.05 seconds in the 40 yard dash, and showed off adequate strength with his 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Magee is rising up draft boards because he's very versatile. He's quick enough to be the left end in a 4-3 defense and strong enough to play inside next to a big nose tackle. He also adds value as a 3-4 end prospect. Magee should be drafted somewhere in the third round of the 2009 draft.

Alex Magee lowered his 40 yard dash time to an impressive 4.82 seconds at his Pro Day workout. He has been quietly making his case as the second best 3-4 end prospect in the draft behind Tyson Jackson. Magee will likely be selected in the early third round.

Kyle DeLexus
04-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Just WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNP7BdGABA&feature=PlayList&p=048105DE6866088B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

LMAO he seems like a good kid, he's gotta be careful with that any lazy job stuff though.

Mizzou_8541
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM
LMAO he seems like a good kid, he's gotta be careful with that any lazy job stuff though.

"Basically, any type of ladies job."

Holy. Crap.

CupidStunt
04-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Front seven right now:

Dude, it's a pure 3-4. Jackson and Magee look like 5-techs, Dorsey is obviously getting the nose responsibility. Tyler will backup at NT. Boone will shift to OLB, as will Johnston.

bevischief
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Does he know it get cold and snows in KC?

ROFL

Kyle DeLexus
"Basically, any type of ladies job."

Holy. Crap.

Pretty sure he said Lazy job

bigdreams1
Dude, it's a pure 3-4. Jackson and Magee look like 5-techs, Dorsey is obviously getting the nose responsibility. Tyler will backup at NT. Boone will shift to OLB, as will Johnston.

Boone at OLB hahahahhahaaha

Ultra Peanut

Just WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNP7BdGABA&feature=PlayList&p=048105DE6866088B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15Lazy jobs, spectacular meat, and video games.

I love this guy already.

Direckshun
I was at the NFL Draft at Arrowhead this year and as Jackson was announced, I looked over and Tank and Turk were hanging out by the wall.

They were visibly not very excited.

kstater
04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Yeah I'm not going to read too much into that comment. It was an interview for some random internet site, and what 20 year old doesn't want a job where they can be lazy. Hell, what 40 year old doesn't want a job where they can be lazy.

Kyle DeLexus
04-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Lazy jobs, spectacular meat, and video games.

I love this guy already.

Thats what i'm thinking. Sounds like a guy you'd wanna hang out with

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I was at the NFL Draft at Arrowhead this year and as Jackson was announced, I looked over and Tank and Turk were hanging out by the wall.

They were visibly not very excited."Yaaay! They just hired my replacement!"

http://j.photos.cx/takerwaterinsane-3a8.gif

kstater
Boone at OLB hahahahhahaaha

I'm guessing you know nothing about a 3-4.

ILChief
i find it funny that everyone says Dorsey is too short to be a 3-4 DE yet they say Magee can be a 3-4 DE when there is one inch difference between them.

Mizzou_8541
Pretty sure he said Lazy job

LMAO

My bad. I guess "lazy job" is better depending on how you look at it.

Sounds like a interesting character...I like this guy.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Dorsey is going to be the NT. Just because some of us can't see it doesn't mean it won't be so.

And Tank will be a backup.

Kyle DeLexus
04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah I'm not going to read too much into that comment. It was an interview for some random internet site, and what 20 year old doesn't want a job where they can be lazy. Hell, what 40 year old doesn't want a job where they can be lazy.

According to his profile he wants to someday work for the FBI or DEA so I don't put much weight into lazy job at all. They guy just likes to stay home and play videogames. He could be my new favorite player.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Thats what i'm thinking. Sounds like a guy you'd wanna hang outForget about football for a mintue, Alex. Let's just go out to Texas de Brazil (you can buy this time, right?) and then head home and play some Madden. Or whatever you want to play. Fable II co-op? Sure, man. It's so cool that you bought two 360s and 50" TVs and put them side by side like that.

ILChief
04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Dorsey is going to be the NT. Just because some of us can't see it doesn't mean it won't be so.

that's fine. whether NT or DE our #5 overall pick has to be in the lineup

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM

And Tank will be a backup.Oh, he'll be the NT. But the odds are greatly stacked in favor of him being a bad NT.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
A smallish DT who is fast enough to play DE in a 3-4.

boogblaster
04-26-2009, 10:05 AM
My guess is that our staff is thinking Defense first becauce we didnt have any before .. Now we need OL-men badly ....

Deberg_1990
Oh, he'll be the NT. But the odds are greatly stacked in favor of him being a bad NT.

Why not? The kid is obviously talented. Pure Talent overcomes alot of things.

Kyle DeLexus
Forget about football for a mintue, Alex. Let's just go out to Texas de Brazil (you can buy this time, right?) and then head home and play some Madden.

I bet he never flips the card red, just leaves it green until they kick him out. Also sounded to me like he was about to ask her out when he was talking about Texas de Brazil

Mecca
Man this is gonna be bad for awhile, we have some fans that probably have no idea what a 3-4 or 3-4 personnel look like.

Mr. Krab

Isn't Dorsey at NT basically a waste?

Delano
04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I usually take dates to places where I feast on MEAT for hours.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Man this is gonna be bad for awhile, we have some fans that probably have no idea what a 3-4 or 3-4 personnel look like.
Good thing we have you around to tell us everything.

ILChief
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM

But luckily we have the greatest player evaluation mind not currently employed by an NFL team or TV network to inform us.

Kyle DeLexus
I usually take dates to places where I feast on MEAT for hours.

Insert penis joke

Mecca
Good think we have you around to tell us everything.

That post had shit to do with me...

Look at this thread and some of the comments it's a perfect example of people who seem to still think the Chiefs are going to run a 4-3.

patteeu
04-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Just WOW!

LMAO A lazy, video-game-playing, meat-loving mama's boy who doesn't like being uncomfortable and wishes he could teleport from place to place because walking is just too much of a chore. I hope he at least has a mean streak. He sounds alright to me.

:)

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:08 AM
But luckily we have the greatest player evaluation mind not currently employed by an NFL team or TV network to inform us.

You know what since every time I post this happens...blow me.

Mizzou_8541
04-26-2009, 10:09 AM

I don't. Seriously. But this is a good place to learn about it.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Isn't Dorsey at NT basically a waste?

On the surface it would seem so. But I can't imagine they're going to let him sit on the bench.

Either we trade him at some point today or he's gonna be the starting NT come TC. He may fail, but they're gonna try it. They don't really have a choice.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
If he fails they won't care either, he wasn't their pick.

bigdreams1
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing you know nothing about a 3-4.

I'm guessing you don't if you think Boone can play OLB. haha i like u man but ur fuckin crazy man

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
It happens because you act like such a pompous, arrogant ass who is constantly insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you. Stop being a jerk and you will get a different result.

Skip Towne
04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

You're always thinking about romance.

Cormac
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
There is a lot to like about this pick, IMO.

However, we are forced to deal with the disappointment that is: Hali, Tank and Turk. So soon after we dealt with Siavii, Sims and Freeman. Why is drafting DL so hard to do?

I'd be delighted with this draft so far if we could get some assurance that there is still a place to put Dorsey. He's not a bust. You can't be a bust after 1 season under that "coaching staff" surrounded by that "talent". Hopefully htismaqe is right, and he will be a starting NT. But that doesn't seem to play to his strengths either. I'd bet we now have 3 young, talented candidates for the 3-4 end position (Dorsey, Jackson, Magee) and the best 2 will start. Otherwise they can find other positions in the 4-3 that we will still run, by all accounts.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
It happens because you act like such a pompous, arrogant ass who is constantly insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you. Stop being a jerk and you will get a different result.

My post had nothing to do with that so maybe you should get over your inferiority complex.

Deberg_1990

Its looking like Pioli doesnt think too much of ole Herms D-line choices:

Hali, Turk, Tank.....LOL That Herm sure was one heck of a talent evaluator. ROFL

Sure-Oz
So is this a decent pick or not?

Cormac

That shows profound ignorance. Do you really think Pioli doesn't care how good the talent he inherited is???? Do you think his innate competitive nature is that shallow???

:spock:

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
What it means:

1. KC is jumping head first into the 3-4.
2. The coaches don't think the current players fit the DE mold of a 3-4.
3. They better grab some OL the rest of the draft and one speedy receiver.

Bingo.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh, he'll be the NT. But the odds are greatly stacked in favor of him being a bad NT.

Sure. But doesn't mean he can't do it.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:17 AM
There is a lot to like about this pick, IMO.

However, we are forced to deal with the disappointment that is: Hali, Tank and Turk. So soon after we dealt with Siavii, Sims and Freeman. Why is drafting DL so hard to do?

I'd be delighted with this draft so far if we could get some assurance that there is still a place to put Dorsey. He's not a bust. You can't be a bust after 1 season under that "coaching staff" surrounded by that "talent". Hopefully htismaqe is right, and he will be a starting NT. But that doesn't seem to play to his strengths either. I'd bet we now have 3 young, talented candidates for the 3-4 end position (Dorsey, Jackson, Magee) and the best 2 will start. Otherwise they can find other positions in the 4-3 that we will still run, by all accounts.
Apparently Hali,Mcbride are all working at rushbacker because they have once chance to make it or get cut because are drafting replacements at their DE positions.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
A smallish DT who is fast enough to play DE in a 3-4.

He's built pretty good for a 3-4 DE. Pretty much what you want.

Mecca
That shows profound ignorance. Do you really think Pioli doesn't care how good the talent he inherited is???? Do you think his innate competitive nature is that shallow???

:spock:

No I don't because he didn't pick him and may not have picked him or even thought well of him.

Different regimes don't view players the same.

TheGuardian
So much for the staff not liking Dorsey. This is basically the same size. So all of you who have been talking down Dorsey because of his height and weight need to pull your head out.

Sure-Oz
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
No I don't because he didn't pick him and may not have picked him or even thought well of him.

Different regimes don't view players the same.

if they dont then they better trade him and get what we can for him...

#5 overall pick shouldnt be wasted, and if he isnt useful here we better get something for him

Mecca
Turk McBride should be in he end rotation this idea of him being a OLB can not possibly be true and if it is there aren't words for how retarded it is.

cdcox

I think they'll both get time at NT this season, but that the long-term NT isn't on the roster right now.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
My post had nothing to do with that so maybe you should get over your inferiority complex.
You really can't be that blind to what your said. You basically insulted every post on the board. I'm smart > you guys are dumb.

arrogant as hell

"Originally Posted by Mecca http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5712298#post5712298)
Man this is gonna be bad for awhile, we have some fans that probably have no idea what a 3-4 or 3-4 personnel look like."

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Look at this thread....if it didn't apply to you then you wouldn't feel upset by it.

Sure-Oz
04-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Look at this thread....if it didn't apply to you then you wouldn't feel upset by it.

hey, what do you think of this pick

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
hey, what do you think of this pick

It's alright I'd have preferred Gilbert personally but we'll see how it works out.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
So we just drafted a guy that is a 1-gap player, and is basically a 3-technique guy.

Just lends more credence that the scheme will in FACT be a hybrid front. And that we need more linemen for it. Because McGree is not a two gap player.

This will in fact be a 3-4 ONE GAP scheme, just like I've said all along. The drafting of Tyson Jackson never changed that.

wild1
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
You guys think Dorsey has some kind of entitlement to be in the lineup because he was a first round pick.

Pioli and Haley don't care where he was picked. They didn't pick him. They don't care what happened before they got here.

They walked in on day 1, and had the list of players who are currently under contract. They are not invested in someone because they were a first rounder. If someone else was better at NT I have no doubt they would just put Dorsey on the pine or flip him for a pick.

All he is to them might be a marginal fit with a big contract.

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey fine, you don't want to hear about. But stop playing innocent like you don't know what a asshole you're being. You're just like GoChief, you post for attention even if that attention is bad.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
You guys think Dorsey has some kind of entitlement to be in the lineup because he was a first round pick.

Pioli and Haley don't care where he was picked. They didn't pick him. They don't care what happened before they got here.

They walked in on day 1, and had the list of players who are currently under contract. They are not invested in someone because they were a first rounder. If someone else was better at NT I have no doubt they would just put Dorsey on the pine or flip him for a pick.

Well I for one, am very glad you are here to tell everyone exactly what Pioli and Haley think. You know, since they won't tell anyone in the media.

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 10:35 AM

All he is to them might be a marginal fit with a big contract.Combover. Tabula rasa.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
So much for the staff not liking Dorsey. This is basically the same size. So all of you who have been talking down Dorsey because of his height and weight need to pull your head out.

He's leaner and longer than Dorsey.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
He's leaner and longer than Dorsey.

He's an inch taller than Dorsey and weighs less. He's a 1 gap player. Again, just points to the fact that we are going to play a 1 gap scheme. Not a TRUE 3-4.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
So we just drafted a guy that is a 1-gap player, and is basically a 3-technique guy.

Just lends more credence that the scheme will in FACT be a hybrid front. And that we need more linemen for it. Because McGree is not a two gap player.

This will in fact be a 3-4 ONE GAP scheme, just like I've said all along. The drafting of Tyson Jackson never changed that.

Ala Dallas.

Which means Dorsey could very well be the NT.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Ala Dallas.

Ratliff is the one player you can compare him to that does play in a 3-4.

ChiefaRoo

Cut your hair hippie!

htismaqe

He doesn't have any entitlement, regardless of where he was picked.

But he does have TALENT, and they're not just going to throw that away without seeing what they can get out of him first.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
He's an inch taller than Dorsey and weighs less. He's a 1 gap player. Again, just points to the fact that we are going to play a 1 gap scheme. Not a TRUE 3-4.

He's almost 2 full inches taller than Dorsey according the scouting reports. Dorsey is 6'1" and he's 6'3".

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:43 AM

And just because you run 2-gap doesn't make it a "true" 3-4. A 1-gap 3-4 is still a 3-4.

Many 4-3 teams have played 2 gap, like we did under Greg Robinson.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Ala Dallas.

Nope. Seeing how Zach said he did not fit into the Dallas scheme and said he came here to get back to playing a more normal mike backer.

We are NOT going to be running that kind of 3-4. It will be what the Cards ran, which is a hybrid.

kcfanXIII
04-26-2009, 10:44 AM
i really don't think mecca was trying to be an asshole. i think its a fact that a lot of chiefs fans think the difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3 is simply removing a lineman, and inserting a lb.

so guardian, can you either explain, or post a link to an explanation? you seem to have a firm grasp on it.

ChiefaRoo
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I think Mecca Tritt is a Genious.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
And just because you run 2-gap doesn't make it a "true" 3-4. A 1-gap 3-4 is still a 3-4.

Many 4-3 teams have played 2 gap, like we did under Greg Robinson.

that's not two gap either. It's like gap and a half, similar to what the giants were running a few years ago when Strahan was lining head up on the right tackle and Corneilus Griffin was there.

Second, what I call a "true" 3-4 is what the Steelers run. Head up linemen who play two gap. We will NOT run that. The guy we just drafted does not fit in on a 3-4 defensive line according to you guys standards either. He's a 1 gap 3 technique guy. So we're going to be running a mix, and therefore this Dorsey talk bull$his is just that.

RINGLEADER
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Yep, this.

And if he can't do the job he'll be gone.

kcfanXIII
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Yep, this.

And if he can't do the job he'll be gone.

but, but, but....

he was a number 5 overall draft pick....

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
i really don't think mecca was trying to be an asshole. i think its a fact that a lot of chiefs fans think the difference between the 3-4 and the 4-3 is simply removing a lineman, and inserting a lb.

so guardian, can you either explain, or post a link to an explanation? you seem to have a firm grasp on it.

This is my take.

Pendergast is our defensive guy. He is not a two gap 3-4 guy. We WILL NOT be running that no matter what anyone here tells you. Pendergast was fired because Whiz wants to run THE 3-4 everyone here thinks we will run. The two gap 3-4 defense.

What we will run is what you saw the Cards run. You will still have an undertackle, you will have a nose tackle however the end(s) will play 5 technique on one side and then we'll play a standup linebacker on the other side, and sometimes flip flop that formation.

So will we have 3 down linemen? Yes, at times. During that time we will have 1 guy who will be standing up where the defensive end would be ala Travis Laboy/Bertrand Berry. Then we will run with a will and mike backer just like Zona did. It's a hybrid 3-4/4-3. It's a good scheme but you do have to have the people to run it. No matter what Mecca says, the Cards are not stacked with defensive talent. They have a few good players like Adrian Wilson, but Dockett is just starting to come into his own (imagine that he just finished his 5th season at defensive tackle!!!), Berry has been on his last legs for a while, and for a while Rolle was looked at as a bust.

Chiefs should be able to make a better transition because Pioli should be able to fill guys into the scheme better than they did in Zona.

Mizzou_8541
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Where is Claythan?

booger
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
I thought earlier in the offseason it would be the hybrid. Like with AZ and Okifeafor, Berry, Laboy playing a stand up DE/OLB or preditor as they called it.

Or you could say Tyson Jackson compares to Trevor pryce and think we could look like the ravens front, just without a huge space eater like Hnagta. Also without Suggs but we would use Vrabel and Hali as the elephant or rushbacker/whatever you want to call it.

With the number of young DL though you can see eventually they want to transition to the true 34. If anybody listened to the PC yesterday, Pioli talked about it taking at least 1season to develop and a DLmen will struggle early on.

If you take that into account along with Hali, Tyler, McBride, all nearing the final 2 years of their contracts (just a rough guess, not fact) they will get use out of them and let them move on if they can't adjust.

I guess it would really help if Teicher or one of those dipshit reporters would get past asking the 34 43 questions and actually flat out ask what they think of Dorsey and Tank and see what they say.

kcfanXIII
04-26-2009, 10:58 AM
http://football.calsci.com/images/3-4.png

the basic 3-4 alignment, that we will not be running. just to help some folks with this 1 gap, 2 gap talk.

el borracho
04-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I think Mecca Tritt is a Genious.

What is this about? Is this fun for you? Because it is damn annoying for everyone else.

I have a suggestion for you, if you don't like Mecca's hair- don't look at it. And please, post something either informative or amusing (or both).

Chieftain58
04-26-2009, 10:59 AM
This draft may have substances but very little flash. We need another WR and a TE? plus RT- LB- CB jeesh... this is Pioli's plan? I thought he was the big draft day player!? ---He's following the other teams that have converted to the 3-4 Copy Cat league.. next year the 4-3 will be better overall because teams will design around the 3-4 and we will switch back... wtf

So, what he is saying is the other 19 Defensive linemen we have taken suck!
Man, Rebuilding year after rebuilding year........ :cuss:

TheGuardian
Well it will be a 3-4. It's just not what people think. It isn't anything like what they run in Dallas, or in San Diego, or in Pittsburgh. Again Zach Thomas' comments verify that. He said he did not like playing in that scheme in Dallas. Why would he come to KC to play in it again? It's not money I'm sure someone could have used Zach for a year or two. It's because he'll be back playing a normal looking mike backer position. Not an inside backer spot.

Mecca
Arizona has better defensive talent than being ranked 27th was what I said I didn't say they should have been #1 or something.

I love how things get twisted out of proportion.

chiefzilla1501
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
that's not two gap either. It's like gap and a half, similar to what the giants were running a few years ago when Strahan was lining head up on the right tackle and Corneilus Griffin was there.

Second, what I call a "true" 3-4 is what the Steelers run. Head up linemen who play two gap. We will NOT run that. The guy we just drafted does not fit in on a 3-4 defensive line according to you guys standards either. He's a 1 gap 3 technique guy. So we're going to be running a mix, and therefore this Dorsey talk bull$his is just that.

He was a 1 gap 3 technique guy. Both players that were drafted were widely projected to be the top 2 3-4 DEs on the board, and the scouting reports suggest that they could be 2-gap 5-technique. I think the Chiefs run a hybrid this year because they have no choice. I would be shocked if Pioli had plans for a hybrid beyond this season.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
http://football.calsci.com/images/3-4.png

the basic 3-4 alignment, that we will not be running. just to help some folks with this 1 gap, 2 gap talk.

Yes we will not be running that at all. The shading is completely different in the scheme we will run.

Fat Elvis
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
i really don't think mecca was trying to be an asshole.

It just comes naturally.

booger
let us not get this twisted

bigdreams1
Someone who is familiar with this undertackle business please post a starting rotation of the front seven. I thought that there were two DE's and a nose tackle. With one of the DE's being the undertackle. Than there would be an OLB where the DE usually is, but standing up.

Before the last pick I saw it as
RDE Jackson NT Tyler LDE Dorsey
ROLB Vrabel ILB Johnson ILB Thomas OLB Hali
anyone want to insert Mcgee in here and show the front seven?

kcfanXIII
04-26-2009, 11:02 AM
This draft may have substances but very little flash. We need another WR and a TE? plus RT- LB- CB jeesh... this is Pioli's plan? I thought he was the big draft day player!? ---He's following the other teams that have converted to the 3-4 Copy Cat league.. next year the 4-3 will be better overall because teams will design around the 3-4 and we will switch back... wtf

So, what he is saying is the other 19 Defensive linemen we have taken suck!
Man, Rebuilding year after rebuilding year........ :cuss:

first off, cb is not a need. second, we've shored up lb, at least for the time being with some decent FAs. third, this is what he did in NE. i love how everyone is writing this draft off as a failure and its not even done yet.

el borracho
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Why do people list TE as a need? We just drafted Cottam last year in the third. I know we just lost Gonzalez but we have so many other, more pressing, needs. If we need another TE we can take one in the 7th or just sign a rookie free-agent.

kcfanXIII
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes we will not be running that at all. The shading is completely different in the scheme we will run.

if i'm understanding you correctly, the d-line will be in more of a 4-3 position, just replaceing the de with a lb? seems kinda like what we tried to do in the late 90's, only we called it the falcon, and had the best rush backer EVER!!!!

Spicy McHaggis
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
It's alright I'd have preferred Gilbert personally but we'll see how it works out.

I thought for sure Gilbert was going to be our pick. He just projected well to what the Chiefs wanted to do, although he needs some refinement in playing the 5 technique.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
if i'm understanding you correctly, the d-line will be in more of a 4-3 position, just replaceing the de with a lb? seems kinda like what we tried to do in the late 90's, only we called it the falcon, and had the best rush backer EVER!!!!

Right. Similar to what the Ravens do with Suggs. We did the same thing with DT. We may not have that guy on the roster right now, but it doesn't matter because this scheme will still generate more sacks because it does a better job of putting the guys in more 1 on 1 situations both on the line and with the linebackers.

ChiefaRoo
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
What is this about? Is this fun for you? Because it is damn annoying for everyone else.

I have a suggestion for you, if you don't like Mecca's hair- don't look at it. And please, post something either informative or amusing (or both).

Eat a cock

bigdreams1
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Duke Robinson if Cowboys don't take him. I think in the 4th round its too much value.

whoman69
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Magee is only a 3rd down pass rush player. He fills a need we don't have opposite Jackson. This team is going to be able to get after the passer. I'd like to see us get a better tackle, but there isn't really anything there.

beach tribe
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM

So because we pick a guy in the 3rd rnd, Dorsey won't get to play? Please.

jAZ
04-26-2009, 12:33 PM

I would, if he fails, his trade value goes down, even if he's a pro-bowl player in the 4-3 elsewhere.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Right. Similar to what the Ravens do with Suggs. We did the same thing with DT. We may not have that guy on the roster right now, but it doesn't matter because this scheme will still generate more sacks because it does a better job of putting the guys in more 1 on 1 situations both on the line and with the linebackers.

The only problem with the "Falcon" for lack of a better term is you better make sure you have the RIGHT guy for it.

It actually HURT DT's production.

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
The only problem with the "Falcon" for lack of a better term is you better make sure you have the RIGHT guy for it.

It actually HURT DT's production.

why do so many refuse to acknowledge this?

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Nope. Seeing how Zach said he did not fit into the Dallas scheme and said he came here to get back to playing a more normal mike backer.

We are NOT going to be running that kind of 3-4. It will be what the Cards ran, which is a hybrid.

The only guy on our staff that has that experience is Pendergast. The position coaches, if they have 3-4 experience at all, have experience in the full-on, 2-gap traditional 3-4.

I could see us playing a little bit of everything if that's the case.

And when it comes to Zach Thomas, he didn't like the Dallas scheme because he was playing the weakside ILB. The 3-4 defense has a Mike and Will just like the 4-3 for all intents and purposes. Thomas' gripe wasn't about playing 3-4 ILB, it was about playing the WRONG 3-4 ILB spot.

brandon
04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I think Magee is a much better fit than Gilbert. If we play Jackson weak side end like we say, Magee looks like he could step in on strong side day 1. Think Magee can hold up much better against double teams and against the run.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:44 PM

OK, I agree with your definition of the "true" 3-4.

And while you're right about our 3rd round draft pick, it begs the question because our FIRST ROUND draft pick ISN'T a 1-gap guy. We're going to be hard-pressed to find a spot for both of them unless either

1) one of them is going to change what they do, and if that's the case it will be the 3rd rounder that's asked to change or

2) they're going to build a hybrid defense that can use both of them

The thing is, this isn't the way the Cardinals did it. Nor is it the way the Steelers do it either.

I think we could be staring down the barrel of a completely new scheme that borrows from Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, AND Dallas.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Why do people list TE as a need? We just drafted Cottam last year in the third. I know we just lost Gonzalez but we have so many other, more pressing, needs. If we need another TE we can take one in the 7th or just sign a rookie free-agent.

Exactly.

Sure-Oz
04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Cottams health may be a slight concern but if he is healthy i think he can do real well for us

keg in kc
04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
We've also signed a couple of tight ends, as I recall.

I think people need to get past the idea that we're looking for another Tony Gonzalez at the position.

L.A. Chieffan
04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
dorsey aint getting traded why are people even talking about that?

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
OK, I agree with your definition of the "true" 3-4.

And while you're right about our 3rd round draft pick, it begs the question because our FIRST ROUND draft pick ISN'T a 1-gap guy. We're going to be hard-pressed to find a spot for both of them unless either

1) one of them is going to change what they do, and if that's the case it will be the 3rd rounder that's asked to change or

2) they're going to build a hybrid defense that can use both of them

The thing is, this isn't the way the Cardinals did it. Nor is it the way the Steelers do it either.

I think we could be staring down the barrel of a completely new scheme that borrows from Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, AND Dallas.

The two picks make sense if you look at them from the standpoint that this front will be a hybrid front where we slid guys inside and out.

Tyson will play the 5 technique on both the strong and weakside when we play with a stand up end. On third down he will slide inside and the front will be a true 40 front either out of the nickel or dime. He could slide to the 1 tech there and Dorsey to the 3 or all sorts of good stuff.

Either way, we got two guys that will help the d-line. Since we are not running a true 3-4 most of the time the guys we are getting are guys who can flip in and out of both fronts.

And yeah I think what you will see is a nice mix of some real 3-4 two gap stuff, some 3-4 flex, some 4-3 1 gapped, some 4-3 gap and half. I think it's going to be very interesting to watch unfold.

Cormac
04-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Guys, I know this isn't the popular opinion anymore.......but how can we expect to replace a 1st ballot HOFer with a 2nd year 3rd rounder (with potential, but 7 career catches) and a 7th rounder/UDFA.

Regardless of his trade requests, TG was money on Sundays for 12 years (despite a few periods of drops). He leaves a(nother) huge hole on the team.

Sure-Oz
04-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Guys, I know this isn't the popular opinion anymore.......but how can we expect to replace a 1st ballot HOFer with a 2nd year 3rd rounder (with potential, but 7 career catches) and a 7th rounder/UDFA.

Regardless of his trade requests, TG was money on Sundays for 12 years (despite a few periods of drops). He leaves a(nother) huge hole on the team.

Get a true #1 wr that's how

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
The two picks make sense if you look at them from the standpoint that this front will be a hybrid front where we slid guys inside and out.

I think it's obvious now that they're looking for versatility, which is something the Patriots did VERY well on defense.

And yeah I think what you will see is a nice mix of some real 3-4 two gap stuff, some 3-4 flex, some 4-3 1 gapped, some 4-3 gap and half. I think it's going to be very interesting to watch unfold.

How fucking cool would it be if, 3 years from now, people were talking about the "Kansas City defense" like we're talking about Arizona, Pitt, and New England? :holdman:

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM

We're going to get another WR to compliment Bowe. Like other SUCCESSFUL teams do.

Next year.

Be patient.

ChiefsLV
04-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mecca

What he said. It's one thing to post your opinion, it's another to act like a pompous ass whenever someone doesn't agree with you.

TheGuardian
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I think it's obvious now that they're looking for versatility, which is something the Patriots did VERY well on defense.

How ****ing cool would it be if, 3 years from now, people were talking about the "Kansas City defense" like we're talking about Arizona, Pitt, and New England? :holdman:

I think we very well could end up figuring out our own wrinkles in this. Everyone keeps bagging on our personnel but it might be our odd personnel that allows the coaches to create some new fronts and scheming in the end. They said they wouldn't try to force people into schemes they couldn't perform in, and the more this rolls out the more I think they are going to make this a very cool hybrid defense. Lots of 3-4 and 4-3 with both two gap and 1 gap mixed in.

beer bacon
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM

It is stupid to try to replace every player you lose with the exact equivalent or better. No team will get far doing that.

Brock
04-26-2009, 01:21 PM

How do other teams win super bowls without a franchise tight end?

Pioli Zombie
04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
It amuses me how people base if a pick was good by where the player was rated by "the experts". If that's all it took why doesn't every GM just pick whoever Mel Kiper has rated the next best player available?
Pioli is a talent evaluator. This is what he excels at. This is where he built his reputation. This is how the Patriots built their defense. Drafting on the line and bringing in smart veterans to play linebacker. Pioli believes in building the lines first. The chiefs had the WORST last year. They added two guys in Jackson and McGee that Pioli has evaluated to do for KC what Seymour and Warren did for the Patriots. If Kiper or some other source or you didn't have the player rated that high fine. But this is what Pioli was hired for and time will tell. I will bet that Pioli knows what's he is doing when he drafts defensive lineman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cormac
04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
We're going to get another WR to compliment Bowe. Like other SUCCESSFUL teams do.

Next year.

Be patient.

I hope so. I'd love to parlay the TG 2nd rounder into a trade for Boldin (or equivalent). I'm not saying we need a TE per se, just that we need a HOF/PB-calibre pass-catcher of some sort.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I like this pick pretty well.

old_geezer
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
I hope so. I'd love to parlay the TG 2nd rounder into a trade for Boldin (or equivalent). I'm not saying we need a TE per se, just that we need a HOF/PB-calibre pass-catcher of some sort.

This is my hope - that we somehow use one of our 2nd round picks from next year in some sort of package to land Boldin. I would consider the draft and off-season to be very productive at that point.

keg in kc
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I think if Boldin was going to be traded (to anybody) it would've happened yesterday.

ct
04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
We've also signed a couple of tight ends, as I recall.

I think people need to get past the idea that we're looking for another Tony Gonzalez at the position.

Agree. I think if that's what we were looking for, we'd have selected Ingram.

shaneo69
04-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a character guy with some versatility, which fits what Pioli is trying to build.

Sounds exactly like Turk McBride's draft write-up from two year's ago...

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Ouch.

cmh6476
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Front seven right now:

when you look at it like that, it does appear to be much improved from a year ago.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM

McBride's scouting reports were anything but bad. Nice try.

The problem with McBride is that his scouting reports said he was a 3-technique DEFENSIVE TACKLE and the brain trust at Arrowhead decided to make him a defensive end.

SBK
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
With the looks of what we've been drafting I'm very excited to see what we're going to do on the field. Count me as excited.

googlegoogle
04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Watched some youtube vid of OU Dukey and he looked soft.

Chiefs=Good
04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I dont understand all this "he dosnt fit the scheme hes not a 3-4 end yada yada" every team plays their own brand of defense of either 3-4 or 4-3. The cowboys scheme is not exact to that of the steelers... We like every other team in the league will have a UNIQUE scheme which fits our players...

CaliforniaChief
04-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I think if Boldin was going to be traded (to anybody) it would've happened yesterday.

Not necessarily. Shockey was moved after the draft last year. While the odds seem to favor Boldin staying in AZ, there could be another blow-up out there putting us in a position to offer something including our extra 2nd (or natural 2nd) since that might be a better pick.

lostcause
04-27-2009, 01:26 AM
All of this talk about where Dorsey lines up seems rather silly. It looks set that he will line up at NG in our new 3-4 and that our new regime believes he can do it.

a) All literature surrounding 3-4 defenses instills that the NG is the single most important position in that defense.

b) B.J. Raji - a prototypical 3-4 NG was available at #3... And yet we forewent him to take Jackson. Then with our next pick took another 3-4 DE. Why would they do this when they could have had Raji and then Magee and moved Dorsey to DE?

c) Dorsey is slightly undersized ATM for the role, but I am sure that he can figure out a way to go from 297 to 320. I believe in this. Truly.

d) GD is known for his ability to fight and penetrate double teams in the 4-3. Why can't he occupy the Center and a Guard? He has the athleticism and talent to do that at his current weight.

Ultimately, if Dorsey was not a viable candidate for NG (the most important position in the defense) why pass up a decently top tier one and go DE?

I believe he will be fine and our 3 linemen are set.