PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My Easy Chair "Evaluation" thus far...

Sully
04-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Reading up on the Patriots, they were one of 4 teams in the NFL to do all their own scouting, not using a service. They graded using their own criteria, and picked accordingly.
So, knowing that, I don't know why the first couple of picks surprised me so much. Pioli and Belichick didn't give a damn what the experts thought, they drafted guys that fit their very narrow profile. They wanted their guys, and got them wherever.

Now, clearly they should have traded down for a couple of these guys. But that assumes two things.
A) There was a partner to trade down with.
and
B) Their guy would still be available at that pick.

As Petro often says, it only takes one team to like a guy for him to be gone. And as evidenced by the Cleveland/Jets trade, trading down was either not an option, or not worth doing.

So nothing about this draft sparkles. Not like last year, where we were all euphoric after nearly every pick. However, I'm not saying we should all just blindly trust in Pioli, but we should realize he goes about this deal a lot differently that most other teams, and we should come to grips with that.

All that said, my evaluation really is no evaluation. The picks confuse me and baffle me. But I think this guy knows what he's doing. So a couple of years down the line, if these guys suck, and the team hasn't improved...I'll be right along with you dog-cussing this regime. I just can't bring myself to do it, yet. That's not a cry to not discuss opinions, just an attempt to bring us back to rationality with all this. We don't know...not one of us, whether this is going to be good or bad. We don't know how these guys will be used, and how they will be asked to contribute. We don't know if they are expected to be stars, or role players.

JMO

el borracho
04-26-2009, 06:16 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6E2hYDIFDIU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6E2hYDIFDIU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Saleenman607
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
SOLID, solid take

Crush
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
:clap:

You can not praise, say meh, or bitch about the draft and still expect people to take you seriously. It takes 3-4 years to get a really good grasp of how this draft succeeded or failed.

Sully
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
:clap:

You can not praise, say meh, or bitch about the draft and still expect people to take you seriously. It takes 3-4 years to get a really good grasp of how this draft succeeded or failed.

I don't have a problem with discussing what you think. But it has gotten a little overboard.
But it's also been interesting.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
We had what was universally agreed upon as the best draft last year. Now everyone's saying it was awful with the exception of Flowers.

Crush
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't have a problem with discussing what you think. But it has gotten a little overboard.
But it's also been interesting.

I was not insinuating that you disapproved of opinions being exchanged. I was just saying that opinions are just opinions, no matter what side of the spectrum that they are on. It will take 3-4 years to see who was correct and who was wrong.

Sully
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
We had what was universally agreed upon as the best draft last year. Now everyone's saying it was awful with the exception of Flowers.

I keep thinking back to how much I loathed Ryan Clady.
I thought he'd be awful.
...but so far he's been pretty good.

So none of us are really experts. It's fun to have an opinion, but we all take ourselves too seriously.

milkman
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I keep thinking back to how much I loathed Ryan Clady.
I thought he'd be awful.
...but so far he's been pretty good.

So none of us are really experts. It's fun to have an opinion, but we all take ourselves too seriously.

I didn't want Clady at #5, but I thought he had the athletic ability to play at a high level.

I also pegged Branden Albert as a LT prospect at least 3 months before the draft.

FAX
04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Peeps were ecstatic about Herm's first draft, too, Mr. MoreLemonPledge. Look how that turned out.

Personally, I would love to draft some guaranteed superstar rookie at some point ... it's been a while. Nevertheless, we have a far better team running the draft now ... compared to CP and his merry band of knuckleheads. I think all good fans should be patient with Pioli. He may be one of the best NFL executives out there, but he's like everyone else ... it will take time to get in a groove and this was, after all, his first draft for the Chiefs.

FAX

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
the draft will rise and fall on Cassel...

assume we got 3 starters with our first 3 picks, a QB and two players who were essential to our switch to a 3-4.....that would be an A draft...

now, assume Cassel flames out and is never a top 10 QB....we will have wasted probably 3 years and the success of our other picks won't seem to offer much consolation....grade D

there won't be any middle ground judgment on this

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM

assume we got 3 starters with our first 3 picks, a QB and two players who were essential to our switch to a 3-4.....that would be an A draft...

now, assume Cassel flames out and is never a top 10 QB....we will have wasted probably 3 years and the success of our other picks won't seem to offer much consolation....grade D

I don't necessarily agree that Cassel's future depends on whether or not he's a top 10 QB. Top 20 is fine with me as long as we're winning.

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I thought it was a pretty solid draft.

We have an entirely new starting DL now, and it's hard to complain about Magee and Jackson as bookends. They are the best pure 3-4 DEs in this draft, and "retraining" them to their position will be very minimal. I like Magee in particular, as I think he's a great character guy.

I really like Lawrence in the 6th and Williams in the 7th. I think both of those picks have the potential to develop and be major contributors. Lawrence in particular has a high ceiling. Washington was great value in the 4th round and it's hard to complain about Succop wrapping up the draft. He'll push Barth, and rightly so.

RT Colin Brown and TE Jake O'Connell were head-scratchers that made no fucking sense.

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't necessarily agree that Cassel's future depends on whether or not he's a top 10 QB. Top 20 is fine with me as long as we're winning.

we aren't winning crap with a top 20 QB, and he is certainly expected by Halioli to be better than that.....

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think Cassell is making Top 10 money. I think he'll always be on the better end of the QB rankings but I doubt he'll ever crack Top 5.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
we aren't winning crap with a top 20 QB, and he is certainly expected by Halioli to be better than that.....

Who was our last top 20 QB by any reasonable measure? Green? I know it wasn't Croyle, Huard, or Thigpen.

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I thought it was a pretty solid draft.

We have an entirely new starting DL now, and it's hard to complain about Magee and Jackson as bookends. They are the best pure 3-4 DEs in this draft, and "retraining" them to their position will be very minimal. I like Magee in particular, as I think he's a great character guy.

I really like Lawrence in the 6th and Williams in the 7th. I think both of those picks have the potential to develop and be major contributors. Lawrence in particular has a high ceiling. Washington was great value in the 4th round and it's hard to complain about Succop wrapping up the draft. He'll push Barth, and rightly so.

RT Colin Brown and TE Jake O'Connell were head-scratchers that made no ****ing sense.

this draft is hard to love....nothing sexy, bitterness that we passed on Sanchez, bitterness that we couldn't trade down, no OL and then a wtf? LT in the 5th, no Ellerbe (lol)....

i totally understand how someone could hate it

but stubborn facts remain...if Cassel is what Halioli believes, and the two 3-4 DEs turn into solid players, then it turns out to be a pretty good draft..even with a puzzling second day....

Mecca
04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
It's pretty hard to take that we didn't get 1 quality offensive lineman out of this class.

keg in kc
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
this draft is hard to love....nothing sexy, bitterness that we passed on Sanchez, bitterness that we couldn't trade down, no OL and then a wtf? LT in the 5th, no Ellerbe (lol)....

but stubborn facts remain...if Cassel is what Halioli believes, and the two 3-4 DEs turn into solid players, then it turns out to be a pretty good draft..even with a puzzling second day....We're used to our draft picks not panning-out, so I think we have this unnatural attraction toward value based on how they fall on pre-draft charts.

What it's ultimately going to be about is how they play. If this staff is any better than those in the past, maybe we'll change our mind about these players over the next 3 years.

Or maybe not.

58-4ever
04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
It's pretty hard to take that we didn't get 1 quality offensive lineman out of this class.

I agree completely. Hopefully, there is something in the works to bring some more guys in.

58-4ever
04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
That being said, I'm ecstatic about a ton of young defensive lineman competing for spots. We need a push up front more than Jenna Jameson needs a cock.

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Jesus, Mecca. They took 3 C's in the 1st.

Reaches were abound EVERYWHERE for OL in this draft.

Rookie OL have the easiest transitions to the NFL. Unlike WRs, TEs, and DL, where we picked abundantly.

veist
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Its funny to hear you saying that, not that its a bad statement since obviously O-line was one of this draft's few strengths. Just you know normally a lot of us are all shaking our heads at people crying because we aren't drafting enough OL because its not good value where they want it and here it was good value seemingly.

Mecca
Several guys on the 2nd day become tremendous value, did you miss that?

FAX

Good take, Mr. the Talking Can. As usual, you knock the point right out of the park and through the front windshield of somebody's BMW 320i causing hundreds of little tiny glass chunks to fall through the slots on the dashboard which will be a total bitch to get out of there.

If Cassel performs to expectations, Pioli can afford to concentrate on other areas and this draft (as all do) will be graded several years down the road as these players develop. If he doesn't? Well, we'll have much bigger problems.

I have a feeling that Pioli is looking a lot further down the road than this one, particular draft.

FAX

Mecca
04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Its funny to hear you saying that, not that its a bad statement since obviously O-line was one of this draft's few strengths. Just you know normally a lot of us are all shaking our heads at people crying because we aren't drafting enough OL because its not good value where they want it and here it was good value seemingly.

There was a ton of outstanding 2nd day OL value this year.

beavis
04-26-2009, 07:05 PM
All that said, my evaluation really is no evaluation. The picks confuse me and baffle me. But I think this guy knows what he's doing. So a couple of years down the line, if these guys suck, and the team hasn't improved...I'll be right along with you dog-cussing this regime. I just can't bring myself to do it, yet. That's not a cry to not discuss opinions, just an attempt to bring us back to rationality with all this. We don't know...not one of us, whether this is going to be good or bad. We don't know how these guys will be used, and how they will be asked to contribute. We don't know if they are expected to be stars, or role players.

This.

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 07:06 PM
We're used to our draft picks not panning-out, so I think we have this unnatural attraction toward value based on how they fall on pre-draft charts.

What it's ultimately going to be about is how they play. If this staff is any better than those in the past, maybe we'll change our mind about these players over the next 3 years.

Or maybe not.

i think the draft is proof that Halioli saw the DL as a bigger problem than the OL....and, they just to bite the bullet and move towards a 3-4 all at once instead of dragging it out over a couple of years...hence the 1st and 3rd pick...

they signed vet LBs to carry us for a year and I'm sure that will be a priority next year along with OL....remember we will still have a lot of FA money to fix things with....

again, I get it that this draft is hate-able and I'm not telling anyone not to hate....but it would be false, imo, to suggest that they don't have a plan....one thing about this draft was the truth of their drafting guys who "love the game"....people wonder why we took magee over Jarret (Garret??) and I'd be they decided that magee has the better chance of being a good pro longer than the other guy.....

only time will tell of course....but there is a method here (at least in the first 3 picks...all guys with strong work ethics and dedication to the game), unlike Carl who truly threw darts at a board....

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a feeling that Pioli is looking a lot further down the road than this one, particular draft.

Hey, it's hard to complain about three really good picks next year. Probably another top ten, plus our own 2nd and the Falcons'.

Pioli's lack of movement this year exemplifies the fact that he is just trying to find able bodies to get this team off the ground this year. You only move around a lot when you are a lot more picky than the Chiefs are this year.

DL, WR, and TE take the most time to develop in the NFL (other than QB...). That he's used half of this year's picks on those positions says a lot. You can add linebackers and OL later on because their transition is loads easier.

veist
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

I'm not disputing that, I said seemingly because they didn't take what I thought was good value OL picks either. They are paid to be better at this than me so maybe they knew something we didn't?

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
and let's not forget, we already have an extra #2 in 2010....

and I'll bet we'll more picks by then...people who wanted us to hop around like thhe pats did need to be patient...you have to have ammo to do it....

a smidge of patience, if you would, on that note

Direckshun
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
This draft is incredibly easy to villify, lord knows it was at the Chiefs Draft party where I was at on 1 Arrowhead Drive. And it's because it had absolutely no flash.

King_Chief_Fan
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm not disputing that, I said seemingly because they didn't take what I thought was good value OL picks either. They are paid to be better at this than me so maybe they knew something we didn't?

I think we all can bank that they know a lot more than any of us. Despite what some of us think

'Hamas' Jenkins

Rookie OL have the easiest transitions to the NFL. Unlike WRs, TEs, and DL, where we picked abundantly.

Jamon Meredith, 5th
Tupou, 5th
Shipley, 7th
Allen, UDFA
Canfield, 7th
Luigs, 4th
Cadogan, UDFA

stevieray
the front office has changed, but the fans haven't, because they have nothing to go on..I think it's an exciting new era...you can't get to the destination without traveling the road..

road trip!

FAX
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey, it's hard to complain about three really good picks next year. Probably another top ten, plus our own 2nd and the Falcons'.

Pioli's lack of movement this year exemplifies the fact that he is just trying to find able bodies to get this team off the ground this year. You only move around a lot when you are a lot more picky than the Chiefs are this year.

DL, WR, and TE take the most time to develop in the NFL (other than QB...). That he's used half of this year's picks on those positions says a lot. You can add linebackers and OL later on because their transition is loads easier.

Excellent points, as always, Mr. Direckshun. In truth, we currently only have 4 or 5 spots that could be considered very solid. Cassel is still a question mark, as well.

We're looking at another 3 years before Pioli's plan (whatever it is) comes to fruition. Have I mentioned lately that I despise Herm Edwards?

FAX

shammus
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I came away disappointed after the draft.

I have faith that Magee and Jackson will be worthy pickups at the top of our board. It is a little disappointing though that apparently guys like Dorsey, McBride and Hali - recent high draft picks - won't have a spot with the new defense. I wonder if we tried to trade any of these players?

Donald Washington in the 4th round surprised me. I thought that corner was the one position that we weren't so bad off at and figure Carr and Flowers still have room to grow with Daniels and Leggett providing solid depth. That one was sort of a head-scratcher.

Same with Colin Brown in the 5th. We waited until this point to address the oline and then skipped over Jamon Meredith in order to select someone who probably would have been available on Monday. Meredith of course, was taken a few picks later. Brown was definitely the biggest reach of the draft for us I think.

I liked the Lawrence and Williams picks in the 6th and seventh round. Lawrence addresses a need for a speed receiver nicely and if he can play as well in the pros as he looks on YouTube, he might be a real steal for us. Williams looks like a solid pickup in the seventh round and we definitely could use a RB project to either replace Kolby Smith or even LJ (if released) at some point next year.

The trade up in the 7th round was kind of an odd occurance. We had two whole days to make trades, not sure why we did it at such a meaningless point. We didn't give up much though, apparently just a 7th rd pick next year. I think at that point we still had a shot at AQ Shipley too, who I think might have been an upgrade over Niswanger.

So yeah, on the whole, I was disappointed. I thought the Oline was our biggest need and we largely neglected to improve in that area. We could have really used a linebacker or two also. Vrabel and Thomas might not be fulltime players next year so we could really use an infusion of youth in that position. Hopefully we can nab Ellerbe or Beckwith in the next couple of days.

SBK
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Our first pick, Jackson, reminds me a lot about Albert last year. When the idea started being floated that we were looking to take a converted G and turn him into a LT this place was pissed. When people started looking at him more, and once he took the field people loved the pick.

I tend to think Jackson will be that way. Seeing how the draft actually fell, the only guy I would have rather had at 3 wasn't even a remote option anymore.

StcChief
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
again 2-4 years will tell. Overall several areas addressed.

buddha
04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
We'll see if Colin Brown was a massive reach or a guy that the staff knew was bigger than hell and a very hard worker. Would he be available in the later rounds? Who the hell knows? I will say this, he has faced all of the toughest defensive ends from the Big 12 and more than held his own.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Our first pick, Jackson, reminds me a lot about Albert last year. When the idea started being floated that we were looking to take a converted G and turn him into a LT this place was pissed. When people started looking at him more, and once he took the field people loved the pick.

I tend to think Jackson will be that way. Seeing how the draft actually fell, the only guy I would have rather had at 3 wasn't even a remote option anymore.

Good point.

FringeNC
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM

but stubborn facts remain...if Cassel is what Halioli believes, and the two 3-4 DEs turn into solid players, then it turns out to be a pretty good draft..even with a puzzling second day....

Yeah, the whole draft and rebuilding strategy is predicated on Cassel being a franchise quarterback. Either he will be or he won't be. And everyone who is pissed off about the draft is mostly pissed because they think Cassel sucks.

Pioli has bet so much on Cassel, and Pioli has better information about his ability than do the Cassel-bashers.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 07:50 PM
i think the draft is proof that Halioli saw the DL as a bigger problem than the OL....and, they just to bite the bullet and move towards a 3-4 all at once instead of dragging it out over a couple of years...hence the 1st and 3rd pick...

they signed vet LBs to carry us for a year and I'm sure that will be a priority next year along with OL....remember we will still have a lot of FA money to fix things with....

again, I get it that this draft is hate-able and I'm not telling anyone not to hate....but it would be false, imo, to suggest that they don't have a plan....one thing about this draft was the truth of their drafting guys who "love the game"....people wonder why we took magee over Jarret (Garret??) and I'd be they decided that magee has the better chance of being a good pro longer than the other guy.....

only time will tell of course....but there is a method here (at least in the first 3 picks...all guys with strong work ethics and dedication to the game), unlike Carl who truly threw darts at a board....

Adrian Jones was EASILY the weakest link on the line. It's hard to know how much of a detrimental effect he had on both McIntosh and Niswanger. Getting Goff was a huge upgrade, and it's possible that they think that might be enough until some more cuts go down...

the Talking Can
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I came away disappointed after the draft.

I have faith that Magee and Jackson will be worthy pickups at the top of our board. It is a little disappointing though that apparently guys like Dorsey, McBride and Hali - recent high draft picks - won't have a spot with the new defense. I wonder if we tried to trade any of these players?

Donald Washington in the 4th round surprised me. I thought that corner was the one position that we weren't so bad off at and figure Carr and Flowers still have room to grow with Daniels and Leggett providing solid depth. That one was sort of a head-scratcher.

Same with Colin Brown in the 5th. We waited until this point to address the oline and then skipped over Jamon Meredith in order to select someone who probably would have been available on Monday. Meredith of course, was taken a few picks later. Brown was definitely the biggest reach of the draft for us I think.

I liked the Lawrence and Williams picks in the 6th and seventh round. Lawrence addresses a need for a speed receiver nicely and if he can play as well in the pros as he looks on YouTube, he might be a real steal for us. Williams looks like a solid pickup in the seventh round and we definitely could use a RB project to either replace Kolby Smith or even LJ (if released) at some point next year.

The trade up in the 7th round was kind of an odd occurance. We had two whole days to make trades, not sure why we did it at such a meaningless point. We didn't give up much though, apparently just a 7th rd pick next year. I think at that point we still had a shot at AQ Shipley too, who I think might have been an upgrade over Niswanger.

So yeah, on the whole, I was disappointed. I thought the Oline was our biggest need and we largely neglected to improve in that area. We could have really used a linebacker or two also. Vrabel and Thomas might not be fulltime players next year so we could really use an infusion of youth in that position. Hopefully we can nab Ellerbe or Beckwith in the next couple of days.

i understand the first 3 picks, their motives and rationale seem pretty clear, and think they'll turn out to be good players....though i'm not sold on cassel, Halioli is...

i don't understand the rest of the picks really....seems a wierd mix of bpa and wtf-leftfield?....so i guess we'll find out early how good their instincts are....because it seems like we passed on a lot of safer (perception, of course) picks at positions of need (OL and LB)...

again, a hard draft to love...but it has "upside"...lol

SBK
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
These last two days have really cracked me up. I think Pioli's quote about taking the 'right' players, not necessarily the 'best' players is a strange thing to watch when put into practice.

EyePod
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM

I don't know if everyone's saying that. I think some people are just saying it's less useful now that we're going to the 3-4. And I know I'm worried about Flowers in the non Tampon-2.... :/

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
These last two days have really cracked me up. I think Pioli's quote about taking the 'right' players, not necessarily the 'best' players is a strange thing to watch when put into practice.

I agree. But the Patriots are constantly questioned on their picks (this helps me sleep better at night).

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
i understand the first 3 picks, their motives and rationale seem pretty clear, and think they'll turn out to be good players....though i'm not sold on cassel, Halioli is...

i don't understand the rest of the picks really....seems a wierd mix of bpa and wtf-leftfield?....so i guess we'll find out early how good their instincts are....because it seems like we passed on a lot of safer (perception, of course) picks at positions of need (OL and LB)...

I don't love the draft at all. I just don't hate it either. I mean, what the hell influence do I have over it?

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree. But the Patriots are constantly questioned on their picks (this helps me sleep better at night).

This.

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Adrian Jones was EASILY the weakest link on the line. It's hard to know how much of a detrimental effect he had on both McIntosh and Niswanger. Getting Goff was a huge upgrade, and it's possible that they think that might be enough until some more cuts go down...

Also, McIntosh definitely looked better (even besides the crazy awesome block) towards the end of the season. Let's just hope he is finally getting a handle on it...

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Yeah!! There was no way that last year's draft could have lived up to its expectation. This draft has no where to go but up!

el borracho
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Perhaps this draft was so deep in OL that Pioli believes guys will be available as rookie free-agents who in other years would require a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick. :shrug:

el borracho
04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah!! There was no way that last year's draft could have lived up to its expectation. This draft has no where to go but up!

It was easier to embrace last year's draft, that is for sure. Who out of this years class do we imagine going to the ProBowl?

The big run-stoppers?-not likely.
The corner who will start the season behind Flowers and Carr?- maybe one day.
The giant OT who appears to be a giant reach?- I can't imagine
Any of the various projects from late on the 2nd day?-your guess is as good as mine.

There just weren't any draft day heroes in the bunch.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Perhaps this draft was so deep in OL that Pioli believes guys will be available as rookie free-agents who in other years would require a 4th, 5th or 6th round pick. :shrug:

Very possible.

KcFanInGA
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Exactly.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM

Wrong.

TWO centers went the first.

The consensus best center in years at #21 in Alex Mack, and Eric Wood at #28.

Seattle gave up picks in the second to get Max Unger.

If you've never watched these guys play, you might think it's a reach.

But in no way, shape or form did those teams reach.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't love the draft at all. I just don't hate it either. I mean, what the hell influence do I have over it?

I would have rather had Mark Sanchez and Max Unger/Ron Brace/Rey Rey over Matt Cassel, Tyson Jackson and Vrabel.

I don't care for the selection of Washington (what the hell is wrong with Flowers, Carr & Leggett?), Colin Brown and Jake O'Connell are major head-scratchers.

Let's just hope that the Chiefs were right this weekend. Because on paper, it pretty much looks like dogshit.

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
It was easier to embrace last year's draft, that is for sure. Who out of this years class do we imagine going to the ProBowl?

The big run-stoppers?-not likely.
The corner who will start the season behind Flowers and Carr?- maybe one day.
The giant OT who appears to be a giant reach?- I can't imagine
Any of the various projects from late on the 2nd day?-your guess is as good as mine.

There just weren't any draft day heroes in the bunch.

I don't care if we have pro-bowlers. I just want a SB. Oh, and don't forget about Leggett either! And Washington can play FS too, so maybe Page's job wasn't as safe as I thought. And what ever happened to DaJuan Morgan?

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Of which the Chiefs chose not to partake...

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Wrong.

TWO centers went the first.

The consensus best center in years at #21 in Alex Mack, and Eric Wood at #28.

Seattle gave up picks in the second to get Max Unger.

If you've never watched these guys play, you might think it's a reach.

But in no way, shape or form did those teams reach.

A really good center can really boost a team's performance. Look at what Jeff Saturday does in Indy.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
And what ever happened to DaJuan Morgan?

Haley punches him in the face when he gets angry

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I would have rather had Mark Sanchez and Max Unger/Ron Brace/Rey Rey over Matt Cassel, Tyson Jackson and Vrabel.

I don't care for the selection of Washington (what the hell is wrong with Flowers, Carr & Leggett?), Colin Brown and Jake O'Connell are major head-scratchers.

Let's just hope that the Chiefs were right this weekend. Because on paper, it pretty much looks like dogshit.

I would have rather had the guys you listed too.

But they didn't pick them and I can't change that.

EyePod
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Mark Sanchez would have been terrible with us. He wouldn't have a check down that an inexperienced QB would love to rely on (I guess if Tony never went he would have). But he also wouldn't have the veteran leadership to boost him along. Unless you count Tyler Thigpen or Ingle Martin...

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Mark Sanchez would have been terrible with us. He wouldn't have a check down that an inexperienced QB would love to rely on (I guess if Tony never went he would have). But he also wouldn't have the veteran leadership to boost him along. Unless you count Tyler Thigpen or Ingle Martin...

I'm not going to get into this with you.

Mark Sanchez is MY choice. If he were a Chief, there would have been no reason to rush him onto the field. Depending on his weekly development, he wouldn't have needed to start until 2010, unless the offensive line was completely repaired AND he showed progress in practice.

The Chiefs aren't winning jackshit this year (and probably not next year either) and Sanchez WILL be a franchise QB.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Mark Sanchez was MY choice.

FYP

SenselessChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Not anyone with any sense.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Not anyone with any sense.

I'm not saying I agree, but people around here are so quick to throw somebody under the bus (Dorsey).

MahiMike
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I think a big reason they reached for Jackson was due to all the talk of how other teams were also going to the 3-4. They figured they got the best player for that scheme ahead of any other team. Wasn't Pioli's fault we had #3 and not #12.

Extra Point
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
It's nice to know that someone else had watched LSU's BCS championship game, and noticed who had complemented Dorsey, to the extent that Dorsey became our no-brainer pick, afterward. As much as I was asking "Why?" Saturday nite, the answer came from the memory of that game.

I can't fault Pioli and crew for which picks they made, yet in some respects, I'd like to have a "Play Season" button on the remote, and just get into next year's draft. 2009-2010: 7-9.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
It's nice to know that someone else had watched LSU's BCS championship game, and noticed who had complemented Dorsey, to the extent that Dorsey became our no-brainer pick, afterward. As much as I was asking "Why?" Saturday nite, the answer came from the memory of that game.

I can't fault Pioli and crew for which picks they made, yet in some respects, I'd like to have a "Play Season" button on the remote, and just get into next year's draft. 2009-2010: 7-9.

It's almost like we're sticking with the 4-3...

Oh, wait.