PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So why no contract for Cassel? His agent is frustrated...

T-post Tom
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Are they waiting for a potential offer ala Herschel Walker? Are they wanting to see what he does after a year? Or are they just not in a hurry and plan on getting it done before training camp? There's a lot of plausible reasons but it still seems odd. Your thoughts?

I've had two NFL sources tell me there's no truth to the National Football Post report that Matt Cassel has signed a $36 million contract extension with the Kansas City Chiefs. One of the sources said not only has there been no deal reached, but there have been no substantive talks between the Chiefs and David Dunn, the agent for Cassel, for a new contract. I noted with some interest at the NFL meetings less than a month ago that Dunn was frustrated that the Chiefs apparently planned to allow Cassel to play the season at his one-year tender of $14.65 million. And the two sources I've spoken to say nothing has changed, that there is not a new deal with the Chiefs' quarterback of the future in place.

SI.com

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/100730-cassel-hasnt-signed-new-kc-contract?eref=fromSI

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
That's "flustrated." /Herm

TRR
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
So the title should read that the agent is frustrated...I'm pretty sure Cassel could care less about a new deal with what he is making this season, and what the potential is down the line.

LaChapelle
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM
They may have flurted with taking Stafford if he dropped.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I hope Michael Lombardi gets drawn and fucking quartered in the middle of Times fucking Square for starting that rumor, as it took every ounce of leverage we had in trying to trade down.

In the meantime, I'm going to be livid if they decide to let him play on the tag, he doesn't cut it, and then they're looking for a QB in 2010.

keg in kc
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah, Cassel doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who cares about this. He's in and doing his work, contract or tender.

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
In the meantime, I'm going to be livid if they decide to let him play on the tag, he doesn't cut it, and then they're looking for a QB in 2010.If he "doesn't cut it," wouldn't it be better to not have him on a 6 year deal?

DeezNutz
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Obviously we're looking to target a more viable prospect, like McCoy, in next year's draft.

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope Michael Lombardi gets drawn and fucking quartered in the middle of Times fucking Square for starting that rumor, as it took every ounce of leverage we had in trying to trade down.

In the meantime, I'm going to be livid if they decide to let him play on the tag, he doesn't cut it, and then they're looking for a QB in 2010.

This.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
It's not to the Chiefs' advantage to sign him long-term.

PastorMikH
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Why sign Cassell to a big multi-year contract only to have Thigpen beat him out for the starting spot?

I know several got a laugh from that, but seriously, why be in a hurry? Lets see how he does in camps and through part of pre-season before commiting millions of dollars over multiple years. For that matter, there's no reason why they even have to do anything now, they could wait and see how he plays in some regular season games before deciding on him as the Chiefs future QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2009, 09:25 PM
He's making 50 times what he did last year. I doubt he's frustrated at all. He's still set for fucking life.

OnTheWarpath58
If he "doesn't cut it," wouldn't it be better to not have him on a 6 year deal?

I'm referring to the fact that they passed on a franchise QB and took a GD 5 technique with the 3rd overall pick.

T-post Tom
So the title should read that the agent is frustrated...I'm pretty sure Cassel could care less about a new deal with what he is making this season, and what the potential is down the line.

Thanks, that pronoun was ambiguous. It's been fixed. I agree with you on Cassel, but the agent seems to think that they want him to play for the $14M. Agent-speak?

Crush
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Michael Lombardi must be making shit up as he goes along, because he is the walking example of 100% genuine FAIL.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Not a big deal. Aaron Rogers didn't sign his contract exnteison until the season

chop
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Cassel is probably at home playing with himself.

He made a comment about playing with himself during some special Rich Eisen was having. Of course he meant playing himself on Madden.

CaliforniaChief
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I hope Michael Lombardi gets drawn and ****ing quartered in the middle of Times ****ing Square for starting that rumor, as it took every ounce of leverage we had in trying to trade down.

Ya know I was thinking about this too. It was also Lombardi who spouted the following:

1. Seattle will NOT take a QB at #4.
2. St. Louis is telling teams that it will undercut any offer the Chiefs make.
3. The Cassel screw-up.

Anyone know anything about his background? Axe to grind against Pioli/Chiefs?

CaliforniaChief
04-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Ok, I answered my own question. Here's his bio from National Football Post:

Mike’s 20 years in the NFL circle gives him access and insight into the minds of football’s greatest architects (Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichick, Marty Schottenheimer and more). Furthermore, Mike has personal access to every NFL general manager, head coach
and head scout.

Mike oversaw the Oakland Raiders’ and the Cleveland Browns’ personnel departments for several years, selected the talent for those teams and evaluated every player currently in the NFL. Mike will give us a distinct advantage over our competitors because of his elite status within NFL circles, his charismatic communication skills, his unparalleled expertise
evaluating every aspect of football and his personal experience working as a Senior Executive. He has also negotiated player contracts for multiple NFL teams, working hand in hand with owners, head coaches, general managers, salary cap managers and pro personnel directors. His vast skill set and unique experiences far exceed those of our
competition.

-23 Years as a high level executive in the NFL

-12 years in the NFL Playoffs

-5 Conference Championship Games

-2 Super Bowls: Win (1984) Loss (2003)

-26 years of professionally evaluating football players (college & pro)

-Host, CBS Sports "NFL Pregame Show"

-Has worked with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, and Denver Broncos

-Talent and writer for Sports Illustrated, NFL Network and SI.com

-Author, LombardiOnFootball.com, a blog becomming well-known in insider circles.

-----------------------------
Do you think he interviewed for the GM job?

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Sonofabitch must pay!

T-post Tom
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Why sign Cassell to a big multi-year contract only to have Thigpen beat him out for the starting spot?

I know several got a laugh from that, but seriously, why be in a hurry? Lets see how he does in camps and through part of pre-season before commiting millions of dollars over multiple years. For that matter, there's no reason why they even have to do anything now, they could wait and see how he plays in some regular season games before deciding on him as the Chiefs future QB.

Well, that makes sense unless he goes diva and takes offense at not getting the offer sooner than later. He doesn't seem the type but you never know.

T-post Tom
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok, I answered my own question. Here's his bio from National Football Post:

Mike’s 20 years in the NFL circle gives him access and insight into the minds of football’s greatest architects (Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichick, Marty Schottenheimer and more). Furthermore, Mike has personal access to every NFL general manager, head coach
and head scout.

Mike oversaw the Oakland Raiders’ and the Cleveland Browns’ personnel departments for several years, selected the talent for those teams and evaluated every player currently in the NFL. Mike will give us a distinct advantage over our competitors because of his elite status within NFL circles, his charismatic communication skills, his unparalleled expertise
evaluating every aspect of football and his personal experience working as a Senior Executive. He has also negotiated player contracts for multiple NFL teams, working hand in hand with owners, head coaches, general managers, salary cap managers and pro personnel directors. His vast skill set and unique experiences far exceed those of our
competition.

-23 Years as a high level executive in the NFL

-12 years in the NFL Playoffs

-5 Conference Championship Games

-2 Super Bowls: Win (1984) Loss (2003)

-26 years of professionally evaluating football players (college & pro)

-Host, CBS Sports "NFL Pregame Show"

-Has worked with the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, and Denver Broncos

-Talent and writer for Sports Illustrated, NFL Network and SI.com

-Author, LombardiOnFootball.com, a blog becomming well-known in insider circles.

-----------------------------
Do you think he interviewed for the GM job?

Sh!t, it's Adam Schefter II. Maybe worse. Must be on the same donk deferred comp plan as Elway. :) Rat bastard.

Skip Towne
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Some of you guys must not have real world problems. There is nothing about football that could make me "livid".

T-post Tom
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Some of you guys must not have real world problems. There is nothing about football that could make me "livid".

Not even when the neighbor kid left shards of glass in your turkey and pecan pie after kicking his football through your kitchen window on Thanksgiving?

TRR
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks, that pronoun was ambiguous. It's been fixed. I agree with you on Cassel, but the agent seems to think that they want him to play for the $14M. Agent-speak?

Obviously it's in KC's best interest (because of their cap space) to see if Cassel has what it takes, and then sign him to a long-term deal after the season...or worse case scenario, franchise him again.

And...obviously it is in his agents best interest to get Cassel signed to a long-term deal now to ensure that no matter what happens this season, he is paid.

I'm sure if Cassel has a good training camp, he will be signed to a long term contract.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Obviously it's in KC's best interest (because of their cap space) to see if Cassel has what it takes, and then sign him to a long-term deal after the season...or worse case scenario, franchise him again.

And...obviously it is in his agents best interest to get Cassel signed to a long-term deal now to ensure that no matter what happens this season, he is paid.

I'm sure if Cassel has a good training camp, he will be signed to a long term contract.

I'm fairly certain the agent gets paid a percentage of the TOTAL contract value. So it stands to reason that a long-term contract is going to net him a higher commission than a $14M franchise tag.

splatbass
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM

The agent is looking for his cut. He doesn't get any more money until Cassel signs a new contract. I doubt Cassel cares, since he is getting $14 million this year.

So, yes, this is agent-speak for "I want to make more money".

TRR
04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm fairly certain the agent gets paid a percentage of the TOTAL contract value. So it stands to reason that a long-term contract is going to net him a higher commission than a $14M franchise tag.

You would think that would be true.

GoHuge
04-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm fairly certain the agent gets paid a percentage of the TOTAL contract value. So it stands to reason that a long-term contract is going to net him a higher commission than a $14M franchise tag.True but the Chiefs are in exactly the right position with Cassell. THey have the money to pay this one year figure and if he sucks your not on the hook for what, an additional 22 million dollars if the guy doesn't work out/gets injured....whatever. Smart if you ask me. Wait until he shows what he can do on a team that didn't go 18-1 the previous year and then you'll know what you've got in the guy. If he's a franchise guy give him a franchise contract. If not draft Bradford, McCoy, etc next year.

PastorMikH
04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, that makes sense unless he goes diva and takes offense at not getting the offer sooner than later. He doesn't seem the type but you never know.

Given how it appears Pioli and Co have dealt with high-profile complainers here and in their past, something tells me that if he were the "Diva" type, he wouldn't be here to begin with, and if he turns "Diva" they would slap him around and if he didn't change, he won't be here long either.

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
True but the Chiefs are in exactly the right position with Cassell. THey have the money to pay this one year figure and if he sucks your not on the hook for what, an additional 22 million dollars if the guy doesn't work out/gets injured....whatever. Smart if you ask me. Wait until he shows what he can do on a team that didn't go 18-1 the previous year and then you'll know what you've got in the guy. If he's a franchise guy give him a franchise contract. If not draft Bradford, McCoy, etc next year.

Not just no, but FUCK NO.

I will completely disown this team if they draft ANY Quarterback in next years draft.

T-post Tom
04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
We seem to have covered most of the angles on this one. I guess we're okay... as long as Pioli doesn't call Cassel a "player at risk" prior to a contract being signed. :)

Cormac
04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Cassel is probably at home playing with himself.

He made a comment about playing with himself during some special Rich Eisen was having. Of course he meant playing himself on Madden.

ROFL

Skip Towne
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Not just no, but FUCK NO.

I will completely disown this team if they draft ANY Quarterback in next years draft.

That's enough reason to do it. Buh-bye

PastorMikH
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM

A thought that just hit me...

I believe this is true, Agent gets a % of the contract total off the top. Now, lets say Leon has a great year in the final year of his rookie contract and the agent scores him a 6 year deal worth 25 mil. Agent gets his % off the top. But, Leon keeps playing well and all of a sudden he and is agent feel he's worth more and push for a contract extension 2 years into the new contract for 40 mill over another 6 years.

Does the agent get commissions from the % of the first and second contracts even though the first contract has not expired?

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
That's enough reason to do it. Buh-bye

And God knows I'll sure miss your dumb ass too.

Hoover
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Why give him a crap load of money this year when next year could be uncapped, where you could pay him his entire SB in one lump sum?

Cormac
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Not just no, but **** NO.

JC. You drafturbating geniouses know everything.

:spock:

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 10:28 PM
JC. You drafturbating geniouses know everything.

:spock:

Thigpen before ANY of those clowns.

DeezNutz
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
If not draft Bradford, McCoy, etc next year.

He'll go in rounds 3-5 next year.

LaChapelle
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Are they in danger of getting fined for not spending the cap minimum?

Cormac
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Thigpen before ANY of those clowns.

Don't you think some late bloomer could pop up and surprise you. Like happens just about every year?

Raised On Riots
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Don't you think some late bloomer could pop up and surprise you. Like happens just about every year?

There's always that chance, but if so he needs to come from a system that uses a pro offense and not the spread.

GoHuge
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Don't you think some late bloomer could pop up and surprise you. Like happens just about every year?Couldn't agree more. We have no idea who's going to have a break out year. Also when I threw McCoy out there it was just for naming names sake. He's nothing close to Bradford....just needed a name and Tebow was the only other one I could think of at the time. He aint the answer.

wild1
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Why give him a crap load of money this year when next year could be uncapped, where you could pay him his entire SB in one lump sum?

I'm sure they are on top of it, they didn't trade a second round pick for a guy they intend to let go after a year.

melbar
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm referring to the fact that they passed on a franchise QB and took a GD 5 technique with the 3rd overall pick.

They passed on a Potential franchise QB in favor of the potential franchise QB already on the roster.