PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Has our recent suckage been the direct result of FA activity, or lack thereof?

cmh6476
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Why haven't we really made a push, either this year or last, to go out and get a guy or two via free agency that could come in and make an impact for this team?

It's hard to try and look at last year in conjunction with this year, since we're really under 2 different administrations. But the free agent activity for this team looks awfully similar to last year for me.

Are the guys being pursued just not worth the dollars being thrown at them? Does the front office believe we can do this through the draft, and don't need to worry about free agency just yet? Are we actually going to go out and try and sign a big-name player or two in the next off-season?

what gives? There seemed to be quite a few players out there that could have helped us this year, we had tons and tons of money we could have offered, and yet we really pretty much did nothing.

:shrug:

Fritz88
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I assume we will and it's going to be Boldin.

cmh6476
04-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I assume we will and it's going to be Boldin.

what, target him next year? cause if we try and get him for picks next year, that's still not addressing FA...

Hog Farmer
04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Well, for the first time in a Billion years we have gone and picked up a potential franchise Quarterback. Does that not count. ?

Hoover
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
There have been few people that i've been pissed that we didn't go after.

I'd love to see us grab LeRoy Hill. At 26 he is a guy that makes a ton of sense for us.

I also think we could very well go after a WR yet. While I think Boldin makes the most sense, I doubt AZ would trade him for the 2nd we got for Tony next year. I could seee us taking on some risky type player like Plaxico or Chad Johnson.

cmh6476
04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, for the first time in a Billion years we have gone and picked up a potential franchise Quarterback. Does that not count. ?
i don't think that counts as being active in free agency. We traded our 2nd round pick for him. I don't see it the same, just as I wouldn't say landing Trent Green or Priest Holmes with draft picks was being active in the free agent market. Those were good additions, just not free agent addiditons. It isn't like we didn't add any free agents when we traded for Green or Holmes...

Iowanian
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Its a combination.

The FA failures of players such as Kendrell Bell et al have hamstrung the Chiefs, however the poor drafts of the past 6-8 years have had a significant impact as well. How many 1st and 2nd round draft picks are not on the team or out of the league?

Its put the Chiefs in a talent and depth problem situation. Its not going to be an overnight fix, and with this schedule for 09, they're going to struggle again.

MahiMike
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I think you'll see some more action this summer. Then again, I figured we'd trade down this weekend so what do I know?

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Our suckage is a result of drafting poorly for years.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Our suckage is a result of drafting poorly for years.

This....

We really havent drafted well for about 10 years.

T-post Tom
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Relax. Pioli has already said that there's a lot of work yet to do on the roster. There's going to be a lot of movement in the NFL prior to the start of the season. Count on the Chiefs being involved in that movement. JMHO.

bevischief
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Damit Carl...

petegz28
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Mike Goff from the Chargers was a great FA signing.

Dave Lane
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I think Mike Goff from the Chargers was a great FA signing.

Totally agree and way under the radar. Engram has a chance to be a help as well.

FD
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
They let the roster fall to pieces, sure, but don't leave out terrible coaching. A coach thats not Herm would have done a lot more with those guys.