PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A Kicker as 'Mr. Irrelevant??? Why not Wolfort?

gblowfish
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Chiefs got the final pick in the draft and took a kicker as "Mr. Irrelevant."
Apparently, the gay guys really like him, so maybe he's the next Nick Lowry???
http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2009/04/26/2009-nfl-mr-irrelevant-ryan-succop/

Why waste a pick (even if it's the seventh round) on a kicker, when on just about every other team, they walk on as undrafted free agents?

Also, why not give the kid from Missouri Jeff Wolfort a chance? That guy was money for Mizzou. If you're going to look at a kicker, why not give him a look?

http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wolfert_jeff00.html

cmh6476
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
yeah, we focked that pick up

Mr. Krab
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
The word "Why" could be used to describe quite a few of our draft picks.

Sure-Oz
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
i was hoping we'd draft wolfert last too...

i was surprised when we took a kicker that was 20/30 from fgs last year

WhitiE
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
he almost looks like a freakin lb....

HemiEd
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
He already picked one Mizzou player, now go buy some tickets like you are supposed to.

FD
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM
You know the pick is irrelevant, right?

RustShack
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Homers are pathetic. Our kicker isn't the only one that was drafted, and there is a reason your precious kicker was passed on by 32 teams multiple times. My god has he even signed anywhere as an un-drafted free agent? Pathetic.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Iowa played South Carolina in their bowl game.

Succop was EASILY the most-talked about player on the South Carolina team during the game. Part of that has to do with the fact that Iowa completely dominated them on both sides of the ball. But part of it was the fact that most feel Succop was automatic from 40-yards and shorter...

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
i was hoping we'd draft wolfert last too...

i was surprised when we took a kicker that was 20/30 from fgs last year

I believe he was 16-17 from 40-yards in...

Pitt Gorilla
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Homers are pathetic. Our kicker isn't the only one that was drafted, and there is a reason your precious kicker was passed on by 32 teams multiple times. My god has he even signed anywhere as an un-drafted free agent? Pathetic.I think Wolfort is trying out with the Bears.

However, I'm not sure I understand your "pathetic" take. What is pathetic?

gblowfish
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Do we want a kicker named "Suck Up?"

dj56dt58
04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Wolfort was a system FG kicker...will never make it in the NFL

salame
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Do we want a kicker named "Suck Up?"

That's the best part

Sure-Oz
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Wolfort was a system FG kicker...will never make it in the NFL

The Spread blocking scheme made those kicks

vailpass
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Iowa took South Carolina to the woodshed in their bowl game and left The Ol' Ball Coach looking old and defeated.

FYP

SNR
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Because teams just sometimes feel that there are better players from teams other than Mizzou.

Jesus Christ, you homers are pathetic.

Pitt Gorilla
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Because teams just sometimes feel that there are better players from teams other than Mizzou.

Jesus Christ, you homers are pathetic.Mizzou fans probably think that Wolfort has a chance to be a good kicker (he was the most accurate in NCAA history). Succop could be a great kicer as well (I have no idea). Once again, how is that "pathetic?"

SNR
04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Mizzou fans probably think that Wolfort has a chance to be a good kicker (he was the most accurate in NCAA history). Succop could be a great kicer as well (I have no idea). Once again, how is that "pathetic?"gblowfish is bitching that the kicker from his favorite school wasn't chosen over the kicker we picked. If he's not doing it due to fan loyalty, then he's ACTUALLY pissing and moaning about our Mr. Irrelevent pick.

By the way, guess which kicker at one point was most accurate in NFL history? Todd Peterson. Remember that guy?

gblowfish
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
gblowfish is bitching that the kicker from his favorite school wasn't chosen over the kicker we picked. If he's not doing it due to fan loyalty, then he's ACTUALLY pissing and moaning about our Mr. Irrelevent pick.

By the way, guess which kicker at one point was most accurate in NFL history? Todd Peterson. Remember that guy?

You seem to want to speak on my behalf. First of all, I'm bitching that the pick should have been used on any other position player, because kickers are almost always free agent walk ons, except for the rare case of a can't miss guy, like Janikowski for the Raiders. Look what happened when King Carl wasted a 5th round pick on Justin Medlock. This year we took an offensive tackle with our 5th rounder. Even if it's "Mr. Irrelevant" why not take a chance on a corner back or a running back? Most teams don't draft a kicker, even with the very last pick in the very last round.

And Wolfert was one of the best kickers in the nation last year. He was a senior, played in a major conference (the Big 12), made tons of pressure kicks, and got great distance on kick offs. If you're going to invite a kicker to camp, why not pick one from a local school that has legit CREDIBILITY, and if he does make the team, may draw some interest because of the local college fan base?

If the guy kicked for Kansas State (like Grammatica) instead of Mizzou I'd say the same thing.

Frankie
04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
He obviously can score.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i_6tpPpViZY/SK5QQJg8QZI/AAAAAAAADM8/CJx0iUyOlJ8/s400/RYAN%20SUCCOP%201.png

Scorp
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
He obviously can score.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i_6tpPpViZY/SK5QQJg8QZI/AAAAAAAADM8/CJx0iUyOlJ8/s400/RYAN%20SUCCOP%201.png

"Jizz in my pants."

bandwagonjumper
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
How many Mr Irrelevants ever made the teams? If he can win the starting job it was a great pick. Honestly the pick of Mr Irrelevant won't make a difference. If it does the Chiefs are worse than I thought.

RustShack
04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
When you take away the extra points, Wolfort isn't the most accurate kicker. Hasn't he gotten worse every year too? Honestly if he didn't play for Mizzou then none of you would care right now. Pioli seems to love ST's and it looks like he took the guy that can hit the endzone every time.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
And Wolfert was one of the best kickers in the nation last year. He was a senior, played in a major conference (the Big 12), made tons of pressure kicks, and got great distance on kick offs. If you're going to invite a kicker to camp, why not pick one from a local school that has legit CREDIBILITY, and if he does make the team, may draw some interest because of the local college fan base?

And Succop was one of the best kickers in the nation his ENTIRE CAREER at South Carolina.

He was a senior, played in the premier conference in all of college football, made tons of pressure kicks, and got great distance on kickoffs.

Who fucking cares about the local schools?

Will
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
The Spread blocking scheme made those kicks

They don't use a spread blocking scheme to kick field goals. It's impossible to do. Everyone lines up the same for field goals so you comment makes no sense.

CoMoChief
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
He obviously can score.

those bitches are hot

CoMoChief
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
They don't use a spread blocking scheme to kick field goals. It's impossible to do. Everyone lines up the same for field goals so you comment makes no sense.

It was a joke. :rolleyes:

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Chief Faithful
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
And Succop was one of the best kickers in the nation his ENTIRE CAREER at South Carolina.

He was a senior, played in the premier conference in all of college football, made tons of pressure kicks, and got great distance on kickoffs.

Who ****ing cares about the local schools?

Add to what you said Succop is big, strong and multi-role (punter) player he starts to look like the kind of player Pioli wants.

From the Pioli statements I've read back'd up by who I've seen him sign and waive there is no doubt special teams are important to the new management. Gone are the days of using the special teams to justify hiding a young player who is not skillful enough to start, but hope will develop into a player in the future.

I think using the last pick in the draft to ensure Succop, who Pioli thinks is the right guy, comes to KC and not sign with another team was a good use of the pick.

Spott
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Wasn't Bill Kenney Mr Irrelevant when he was drafted?