PDA

View Full Version : Computers Facebook To Let Others Play In Its Stream

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/26/facebook-to-let-others-play-in-its-stream/

Seeing the explosion in growth of Twitter right now, itís pretty clear that the hot trend on the web is to have a service which acts as a central hub for information, and allows third-party sites and services to built on top of it. For most of its life, Facebook has been almost the exact opposite, insisting that developers work from within its walls to keep much of the data ó and the users ó there. Tomorrow, it looks like Facebook may be knocking down its dam to let its streams of data flow more freely.

Facebook is expected to announce that third-parties will now have access to data from the site that was previously unavailable, before an event set to take place at 4PM PST tomorrow. The Wall Street Journal has a few of the details, including that developers should be able to access the all-important photos and videos that users upload. Apparently, these third-party developers, assuming they get usersí permission to use this data, could build their own sites and services with some of it.

Also of note is that apparently Facebook will begin supporting more open standards for the transporting of data. Itís not yet clear exactly what this will mean, but presumably it could help alleviate some of the issues I wrote about last week in noting that Facebook, Google and others were creating what were essentially proprietary profiles, that forced all of us to actively use and update all of their services. Iíll be very interested to see what this means when it comes to Facebook Connect.

If Facebook really is opening most of its data, it would seem to me itís a smart move to stop some of the momentum that smaller rivals, like Twitter, are getting. After all, Facebook still has its big stick ó over 200 million users and more importantly, their data. Now it may be able to fully swing it

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Does anyone want to play in my stream?

|Zach|
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Facebook is trending really well right now...its outreach to businesses to allow them to set up shop has been a good move.

(Via IdeasAndAngles (http://ideasandangles.com))

Facebook has well over 200 million users. That is an impressive number in and of itself but the fact that as recently as August 2008 they had 100 million members shows you the kind of run this service is on.

This isnít your former college roommateís Facebook. According to recent research people over 30 represent the largest growing demographic on the site and the past six months have witnessed a 550-percent explosion in membership among women over 55.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I just removed the ablility for any of our 4000 plus employees to even use facebook or twitter on their work PCs.

Jenson71
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Does this mean I can play their games without having to use my friend's login?

Reaper16
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
I just removed the ablility for any of our 4000 plus employees to even use facebook or twitter on their work PCs.
I assume that ChiefsPlanet, Orange Mane, etc. are barred from being used on work PCs, too, right.

Jilly
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Does anyone want to play in my stream?

I LOVE playing in streams. Especially the kind with a lot of movement. But, I only have one stream that I'm really allowed to play in, so, I think I'll just stick with it.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I assume that ChiefsPlanet, Orange Mane, etc. are barred from being used on work PCs, too, right.

Not at this time. It's not so much a use of time issue as a resource issue with our citrix environment.

Delano
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
http://20.media.tumblr.com/91wJ5FjbSmsxass4qTasMfjKo1_500.jpg

Jilly
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
http://20.media.tumblr.com/91wJ5FjbSmsxass4qTasMfjKo1_500.jpg

YOU'RE prohibited in this area.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
As popular as all of this web 2.0 stuff is, none of it is making any money. Facebook, Youtube, etc. don't make a profit. You have to wonder what they are going to do to make these viable businesses.

Spicy McHaggis
04-27-2009, 03:28 PM

fascist.

:D

BWillie
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I have, and never will. Twitter. It is dumb. If I was a celebrity. I would Twitter about complete nonesense just to piss people who follow it off. I would be like "Just took a 14 pound shit" or "Just took a left turn into the parking lot of a gas station" or "Just took a shower". Nobody gives a shit!

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
As popular as all of this web 2.0 stuff is, none of it is making any money. Facebook, Youtube, etc. don't make a profit. You have to wonder what they are going to do to make these viable businesses.

According to Forbes, Mark Zuckerberg has a net worth of $1.5 Billion. I think that's a profit.

Next time you're on Facebook, take a look at all of the ads to each side.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Thats because they are all just fun time wasters for the most part.

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
i thought this was about hootie

|Zach|
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Businesses are making money. Big and small.

|Zach|
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I have, and never will. Twitter. It is dumb. If I was a celebrity. I would Twitter about complete nonesense just to piss people who follow it off. I would be like "Just took a 14 pound shit" or "Just took a left turn into the parking lot of a gas station" or "Just took a shower". Nobody gives a shit!

Anything is idiotic of someone uses it like an idiot.

Just say'n...

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Businesses are making money. Big and small.

Ive read that Google may look to dump Youtube, because its not making money.

|Zach|
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Ive read that Google may look to dump Youtube, because its not making money.

Youtube is trying hard...they just have so much bandwidth. It is crazy. I think they are doing a good job of relaying relevent ads and value adds that are not to intrusive, but according to Chris Brogan at the HubSpot conference YouTube served up 13 Billion videos last month. That is insane.

I am a huge fan of Google, I use a lot of their services and love them but their search people need to get off their asses with relaying the results of the real time web. Their results are not as relevant as they once were.