PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Many Chiefs scouts now unemployed

Just Passin' By
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
PFW says that the Chiefs are handing out pink slips:

Monday was D-Day in the Chiefs' scouting department, as the vast majority of the staff was released by GM Scott Pioli, accoring to multiple sources.

Most of the Kansas City's existing staff knew they were on borrowed time when Pioli was hired to replace Carl Peterson earlier this year, but they were kept on to at least get the club through draft weekend. Now that those duties are over, the axe has reportedly fallen on multiple holdovers from the old regime.

Pioli now will look to bring in his own staff of scouts, a younger group that shares his vision when it comes to evaluating and selecting talent.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/Features/2009/blunda042709.htm

keg in kc
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Not a surprise.

dirk digler
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Good and I am glad that it happened. I wonder if Chuck Cook gets to keep his job?

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
That didn't take long. Time to get a real personnel department situated in here. It'll be interesting to see how new guys evaluate over the guys Carl and Herm had put in place.

This is also probably a reason why we didn't see as much wheeling and dealing as we may in future years (along with hopefully not having the No 3 pick again)...

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Why not bring them in as soon as he was hired?

PhillyChiefFan
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Love it, proactivity at long last.

John_Wayne
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I hear that Herm Edwards has experience as a talent scout and is unemployed at the moment......

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

You need time to rebuild a scouting department and the old scouts were needed for this draft.

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM

What he said, plus scouts are usually under contract and you can't talk to the guys you want on other teams' payrolls until after the draft...

scorpio
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Love it, proactivity at long last.

retroactive proactivity ?

Bill Lundberg
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I hope Mecca, OTWP58, and Hamas are waiting by their phones. The Chiefs could definitely use their superior expertise! ;)

Fritz88
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I hear that Herm Edwards has experience as a talent scout and is unemployed at the moment......

good point.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Probably not possible due to time constraints and contractual obligations.

Ari Chi3fs
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
I hope Mecca, OTWP58, and Hamas are waiting by their phones. The Chiefs could definitely use their superior expertise! ;)

bwah ha hah ahah

talastan
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM

ROFL

ChiefRon
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
You need time to rebuild a scouting department and the old scouts were needed for this draft.

Plus, scouting is a year round job. We would have been at a bigger disadvantage if we had done that.

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
It's nice to have yet another CYA in place at the end of a dismal draft, yes?

Mr. Arrowhead
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
LMAO

mikey23545
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM

You'd bitch if he kept the old scouts, and you bitch because he fired them.

Go die in a fire, Claythan.

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM

I hope they are too; it would be an improvement.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
You'd bitch if he kept the old scouts, and you bitch because he fired them.

Go die in a fire, Claythan.

Is he really Claythan? I thought he was just a retarded n00b.

Fruit Ninja
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM

lol, Funny stuff. Plus reps.

bkkcoh
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I hope they are too; it would be an improvement.

Couldn't be a hell of a lot worse..

gblowfish
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Tell Ray Farmer that Ray Farmer wants to see him, and bring his playbook.

munkey
04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Good and I am glad that it happened. I wonder if Chuck Cook gets to keep his job?

Unfortunately no....

CoMoChief
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Mecca, OTWP58, and Hamas <===== ROFL

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
You'd bi-

%(/ Shut it.

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Is he really Claythan? I thought he was just a retarded n00b.

Yes, I'm really Claythan. All day, everyday.

SBK
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Your and idiot.

You can't fire your scouts before the draft because the guys you'd hire are under contract elsewhere. The day after the draft is the day the scouts get fired, just like after the last game the coaches get fired.

Direckshun
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM

:thumb:

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Your and idiot.

You can't fire your scouts before the draft because the guys you'd hire are under contract elsewhere. The day after the draft is the day the scouts get fired, just like after the last game the coaches get fired.

"We're teaching the scouts our way, to do things our way".

"Fuck' em; they're all fired" :thumb:

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 04:28 PM

This.

Mr. Krab
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
The scouts are not the Chief's problem /GoChief

Marco Polo
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

LMAO

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
The scouts are not the Chief's problem /GoChief

And you know this how?

Mr. Krab
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
And you know this how?
Because he said just such a thing on this board awhile back. I believe it was around the time Pioli got hired. He defended the scouts and (iirc)also specifically defended Chuck Cook. ROFL

I realize i'm rather behind on the rumor/new/board soap opera, but aren't you GoChiefs too?

raised on riot = Darth Carl Satan = GoChiefs = Claythan

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
leaked information could've been a factor too

Ralphy Boy
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Hey, I have no problem giving Herm a job at something he's proven he's good at.

Having said that, make him "Director of College Coaching, Defensive Secondary Division"

StcChief
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
good move.

Raised On Riots
04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Because he said just such a thing on this board awhile back. I believe it was around the time Pioli got hired. He defended the scouts and (iirc)also specifically defended Chuck Cook. ROFL

I realize i'm rather behind on the rumor/new/board soap opera, but aren't you GoChiefs too?

raised on riot = Darth Carl Satan = GoChiefs = Claythan

So what is the Chiefs "problem" then?

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
thank god, take a flamethrower to the whole fucking edifice

ZootedGranny
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Hahaha

ZootedGranny
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Chuck Cook got shitcanned (via Arrowhead Pride):

FOX4-WDAF in Kansas City is reporting Chuck Cook is among the Chiefs scouts terminated.

Cook has been with the organization for 25 years. He was the director of college scouting. Head here for the Chiefs scouting staff update.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/27/856618/fox4-wdaf-in-kansas-city-is

Tits McGee
04-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Somebody has to take the blame for last Sundays mess.

Reerun_KC
04-28-2009, 12:08 AM

They seem to know more about it than some people on here...

Just saying...

RippedmyFlesh
04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
This is why pioli gets a mulligan on this draft and prob a reason why there was not trades. A year with his scouts and next year will be the type of active/moving type draft some expected this year.

alanm
04-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Why not bring them in as soon as he was hired?I seem to recall reading about this after Pioli was hired. That they were all on a notice for being let go after the draft. That he may or may not keep a few on. But they knew it was coming down the pike.

alanm
04-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Good and I am glad that it happened. I wonder if Chuck Cook gets to keep his job? The smart ones probably have a new gig set to go. The ones who thought it wouldn't happen are too stupid to be employed by any team.

DaWolf
04-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Chuck Cook got shitcanned (via Arrowhead Pride):

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/4/27/856618/fox4-wdaf-in-kansas-city-is

Star now reporting it:

Chiefs fire Chuck Cook

One day after completing their first draft under new general manager Scott Pioli, the Chiefs fired Chuck Cook, their director of college scouting.

Several of the Chiefs’ other scouts were also fired.

Cook had been the Chiefs’ director of college scouting for 12 years and a regional scout for 13 years before that. As the college scouting director, he coordinated the Chiefs’ preparations for the draft.

Members of the scouting department had been expecting a post-draft shake-up since Pioli was hired.

The Chiefs’ results in the draft in recent years have been decidedly mixed. The Chiefs have been able to find quality players like Jarrad Page, Jared Allen and Brandon Carr in later rounds, but several early-round picks like Junior Siavii, Ryan Sims and Eddie Freeman were failures.
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1165935.html

alanm
04-28-2009, 12:36 AM
I hope Mecca, OTWP58, and Hamas are waiting by their phones. The Chiefs could definitely use their superior expertise! ;)Hey... at least give it a shot. I'm being serious but it would be a sweet gig.

Get working on those resumes guys.
On all seriousness most of these guys have played, coached or lucked into the job starting as front office or team interns or go fers for teams in college or pro and worked their way up.

booger
04-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Cook will get on somewhere. He grew up in it, kinda like Haley's dad being a longtime scout so was Cook's dad. Carl promoted him early on after ariving but once the DV years came it was Carl and the HC on the first day and cook and the scouts on the second. He is well thought of but it is probably a different approach than Pioli wants and it is probably better off for both to move on.

Bruce Lemmerman was the scouting coordinator under cook. I'd bet he gets canned too. He is a Kuharich guy with the dreaded USFL connection (Carl, Kuharich, Cook, Lemmerman, All USFL pasts). Hell, i remember seeing the combine on NFLN and Gun and Kuharich were sitting together comparing notes in the stands and thought it is probably the last of him. LOL. That was this year after Gun was hired by the lions. Didn't help with the Clark Judge CBSsportsline article saying how dare Clark hunt not even interview Kuharich. Bill was probably asking gun to put in a good word for him in detroit. As far as the area scouts under them i suppose it is more who fits/who doesn't with each individual.

Farmer came along with Herm but was a well thought of riser in the league when he came from the falcons. He ran the practice squad the past two seasons and had plenty of players in for looks which was a different take on things than the past and the pats seem to have a similar approach i could see him possibly staying. Depends on what Pioli thinks of him as an evaluator, obviously. I think he has 3 guys that work under him in the Pro Personell staff.

Could be worse. Lynn Stiles left when Carl did. Wasn't public knowledge if he was canned or retired/quit. Marcus Edwards worked as a Pro Personel asst. and was gone shortly after His dad was fired, naturally.

I get the feeling they will go after guys who are hungry for the opportunity and guys they can teach them their own way. Not know it alls that have been around the block. Maybe a Fred Savage guy that was fired by the Browns GM as i think him and Pioli have worked together before.

What's even more funny/sad is that guys like Dimitrioff was a KC scout and left, went on to win rings with the Pats and now has his own GM gig in ATL. Same with Jeff Ireland who started here, went to Dallas and Parcells took a liking to him giving him the Phins GM gig. Others like current Bucs GM Mark Dominik and Packers ASST. GM John Scheider knew when to get out of KC and away from Carl to get a chance to rise the ladder. Knowing Carl plays the buddy system with hacks like Bradway and Stiles.

If your reading this Gretz cram that last paragraph up your ass sideways you Carl D. Peterslap lover you.

that is all

booger
04-28-2009, 02:59 AM
I mentioned above Farmer and the practice squad auditions on a weekly basis.

I don't know whose choice it was but whoever decided it was a good idea to waive Erik Walden last year and actually expect him to clear waivers to add him to the PS............ If they aren't fired yet i hope Pioli takes a meat tenderizer to their ballz. Effin morons.

They claim him off waivers from Dallas where they wanted to keep him as an OLB. Some of their top guys were pissed he got cut. He comes here and becomes a special teams demon. one of the only bright spots for the first 6 games or so getting like 2-3 sp. teams tackles a game. The guy took advantage and came in played balls to the wall and gets cut with about 5-6 games left because of injuries and we signed Curtis Gatewood off the WASH PS. I bitched that we didn't try walden as a pass rusher even if only 5-10 snaps a game. He had like 20 some sacks in college.

But he was claimed by Miami playing in a 34. Might come in handy now.........

But who we did claim at the same time as Walden and still do have is Brian De La Puente. A guard who IIRC was running 2nd string center at the mini camp. He had some hype in the preaseason with the 9ers and had good tape on him holding his own or better than expected against Tommie Harris.

But the Walden thing really chaps my ass still.

carry on.

BigRichard
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM

Yeah the Chiefs would hire them and they would immedietly start telling Pioli how much he sucked and can't pick players worth a shit.

KcFanInGA
04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
THis is a good thing. Absolutely necessary.

MahiMike
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Not a surprise.

Really? I'm shocked. Makes you wonder how many of their recommendations were even used last weekend. Probably only the late rounders where even Pioli and Haley couldn't have knowledge of.

MahiMike
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
So, does this mean Herm is coming back to head up the scouting department?

...)

Chiefnj2
04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
It's funny to read everyone ragging on the scouting department when everyone was singing their praises the last two drafts.

unothadeal
04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

LMAO

Ray Farmer, the mirror would like a word with you.

Extra Point
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
How timely, their departure. These guys get any whiff that they were dead men walking before this weekend? MahiMike and ChiefNJ2 have it right.

Raised On Riots
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Somebody has to take the blame for last Sundays mess.
You ain't shittin', Mable.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
How timely, their departure. These guys get any whiff that they were dead men walking before this weekend? MahiMike and ChiefNJ2 have it right.

They were dead men walking the minute Pioli was hired. The only reason they were here until now is because of contracts and timing.

TEX
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Cook will get on somewhere. He grew up in it, kinda like Haley's dad being a longtime scout so was Cook's dad. Carl promoted him early on after ariving but once the DV years came it was Carl and the HC on the first day and cook and the scouts on the second. He is well thought of but it is probably a different approach than Pioli wants and it is probably better off for both to move on.

Bruce Lemmerman was the scouting coordinator under cook. I'd bet he gets canned too. He is a Kuharich guy with the dreaded USFL connection (Carl, Kuharich, Cook, Lemmerman, All USFL pasts). Hell, i remember seeing the combine on NFLN and Gun and Kuharich were sitting together comparing notes in the stands and thought it is probably the last of him. LOL. That was this year after Gun was hired by the lions. Didn't help with the Clark Judge CBSsportsline article saying how dare Clark hunt not even interview Kuharich. Bill was probably asking gun to put in a good word for him in detroit. As far as the area scouts under them i suppose it is more who fits/who doesn't with each individual.

Farmer came along with Herm but was a well thought of riser in the league when he came from the falcons. He ran the practice squad the past two seasons and had plenty of players in for looks which was a different take on things than the past and the pats seem to have a similar approach i could see him possibly staying. Depends on what Pioli thinks of him as an evaluator, obviously. I think he has 3 guys that work under him in the Pro Personell staff.

Could be worse. Lynn Stiles left when Carl did. Wasn't public knowledge if he was canned or retired/quit. Marcus Edwards worked as a Pro Personel asst. and was gone shortly after His dad was fired, naturally.

I get the feeling they will go after guys who are hungry for the opportunity and guys they can teach them their own way. Not know it alls that have been around the block. Maybe a Fred Savage guy that was fired by the Browns GM as i think him and Pioli have worked together before.

What's even more funny/sad is that guys like Dimitrioff was a KC scout and left, went on to win rings with the Pats and now has his own GM gig in ATL. Same with Jeff Ireland who started here, went to Dallas and Parcells took a liking to him giving him the Phins GM gig. Others like current Bucs GM Mark Dominik and Packers ASST. GM John Scheider knew when to get out of KC and away from Carl to get a chance to rise the ladder. Knowing Carl plays the buddy system with hacks like Bradway and Stiles.

If your reading this Gretz cram that last paragraph up your ass sideways you Carl D. Peterslap lover you.

that is all

Awesome! :bravo:

Jethopper
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM

ROFL We would be the Lions within the calendar year.

Demonpenz
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
underachieving d linemen weep at their missed shot in the pro's

Skip Towne
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Somebody was gonna say it.

Raised On Riots
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
underachieving d linemen weep at their missed shot in the pro's

Love the Av, Penz. Perfect.

HemiEd
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
leaked information could've been a factor too

That is a good point, at least they didn't get concrete shoes.

Ralphy Boy
04-28-2009, 08:05 PM
It's funny to read everyone ragging on the scouting department when everyone was singing their praises the last two drafts.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Raised On Riots
04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I'll add to that; just because they brought a great player to the table didn't mean that Carl or Herm might actually listen to them and pick him.

Last years draft was a good draft.

Groves
04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
They were dead men walking the minute Pioli was hired.

I think it's pretty good timing. Nothing would have lit a fire under them to take their remaining months so seriously as A)the knowledge that they'll be scrutinized by Pioli and maybe canned, and B) Giving their future employer the best resume they can.

It's really too bad that you can't grade these drafts for 3 years, cause that's a long time for them to go without another scouting job.

StcChief
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
ROFLI hope Mecca, OTWP58, and Hamas are waiting by their phones. The Chiefs could definitely use their superior expertise! ;):) LMAO and the old scouts were bad.

rocks
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Had to do it. Its a new day at Arrowhead and they want a lot of fresh eyes. Only time will tell if it is the right thing. I'm glad to see it.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Love the Av, Penz. Perfect.

Do you think he's serious?

Raised On Riots
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Do you think he's serious?

At first. Not any more. Though rounds 4 through 7 could certainly be compared.

Meh.

whoman69
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
They must have already decided who to pick up in FA for the rookies.

whoman69
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
They must have already decided who to pick up in FA for the rookies.

My bad, didn't see they were already done. Wasn't on nfl or chiefs site.