PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Broncos' Draft

Mile High Mania
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok, so I've been gone since Friday... and have only now really been able to start digesting all that happened over the weekend. My first thoughts were "Crap - they didn't go defense with that first pick." And, my second thought was "They did what with the 2010 R1 pick?"

So, after I have read through the various information, I'm content with what happened. I mean, seriously... like I have another option. :spock:

Anyway - in regards to Moreno, I love the idea of having him on the team, I think he's very talented and is going to be an integral part of that offense, especially with Orton as QB. An average QBs best friend is a hell of a supporting cast. Denver has a nice oline, great young receivers and now... a true lead threat at RB. I will be interested to see how the depth shakes out with the mass of options they have at this time. And, for a team that is likely going to field a questionable defense against a brutal schedule... a strong running game should help, so from that aspect I like the pick.

DEF - I like Ayers... while I would have preferred them trading up for Raji or going DEF/DEF... I like this guy as a strong addition to the front 7.

Alphonso Smith... better be worth the trade and while he received high marks prior to the draft, I'm just a bit surprised the made the move to get him. I know they can definitely use him, I'm just surprised that he is the DEF option they took after making the trade.

I like McBath and Bruton... both should be good contributors, I was hoping McBath would be on their radar.

Quinn... I dunno what to think really, not sure he's the answer to any significant question they had, but we'll see.

The final 4 picks (Olsen, McKinley, Brandstater, Schlueter)... are bit players at this point and we'll see if any of them stick.

Maybe the Broncos really love their DEF cast of characters they have now, but I do wonder if they missed out by not going DEF/DEF in Round 1.

I haven't had a chance to look for the threads from this site that likely had all the bashing of Broncos' picks, but I'll find it. :doh!:

The first 4 seletions should have an impact this year... they'll essentially define the success or failure of the draft. I'll go pick through the UDFA updates soon, but I read that it looks like they went DL/LB heavy.

Ok.. feel free to post and tell me why they sucked. :evil:

Dave Lane
04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
D-

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to personally thank your organization for giving my 2nd favorite team a top ten pick in next year's draft. It's helpful for my fandom on a variety of levels. Donkos FTW!!!!!

Dave Lane
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
But far better than the Z- given to the raiders

CoMoChief
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Moreno is the next Maurice Clarrett

Mile High Mania
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to personally thank your organization for giving my 2nd favorite team a top ten pick in next year's draft. It's helpful for my fandom on a variety of levels. Donkos FTW!!!!!

Heh... hopefully, it's more in the 20 range. Need a ton of things to go right, but I can be optimistic.

Mile High Mania
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Uh-huh...

ChiefRon
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I started a thread to compare all AFCW drafts here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206758

SBK
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM

No, Moreno is a stud. I don't think RB's are worth taking that high, but there's not a team in the league that wouldn't want a guy like Moreno in the backfield.

HolmeZz
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Isn't Denver switching to a 3-4? Where the hell is Ayers playing?

I like Moreno a lot, but (despite all the injuries last year) running back wasn't close to being their most pressing need.

I thought the Broncs had a pretty poor draft, as did everyone in the AFCW(though I'd call ours more lackluster than poor).

Direckshun
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Moreno should do well in that system if teams don't stack up against him. It will be interesting to see if teams dare Orton to beat them -- he's got the weapons downfield but I'm completely clueless as to how well he'll be able to reach them. If they stack up against Orton I guess we'll find out.

Ayers was a horrendous pick. He does not fit the 3-4 anywhere except OLB and he was a one-year wonder. Congratulations MHM, you've got Turk McBride, Vol. II.

You better stinking hope that Alphonso Smith is a Pro Bowl corner for most of his career, because you guys gave up a 1st (potential top 10) *AND* a mid-2nd for him. It's simply not good enough for him to be Brandon Flowers. He must be Champ Bailey.

Hog Farmer
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Thats one hellofa draft and throw in Orton....ROFL

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Moreno is talented, but taking a RB at #12 is a hard pill to swallow.

The next two picks are pretty bad.

Hog Farmer
04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Moreno is talented, but taking a RB at #12 is a hard pill to swallow.

The next two picks are pretty bad.

What do you expect.

The head coach is retarted!

Duh! Lets see..... we only have 9 running backs.....duuhhhh.......I know ..lets draft a running back.....duuhhhhhhhh! Orton!

orange
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
You better stinking hope that Alphonso Smith is a Pro Bowl corner for most of his career, because you guys gave up a 1st (potential top 10) *AND* a mid-2nd for him. It's simply not good enough for him to be Brandon Flowers. He must be Champ Bailey.

Seahawks receive:
Ľ 2010 first-round pick

Broncos receive:
Ľ 2009 second-round pick (No. 37): CB Alphonso Smith

Analysis: NFL Network analysts Charley Casserly, Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi are in agreement on this trade: Smith is not worth next year's first round pick. They think the price is too high for a cornerback who is only 5-foot-9 with questionable speed. "Itís a little dangerous to trade away next yearís one," Lombardi said. "Youíre taking a chance, especially on a corner, and a small corner at that. That bothers me." The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80ff4515&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I have as much faith in the rest of your analysis as in your information about this trade.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Seahawks receive:
Ľ 2010 first-round pick

Broncos receive:
Ľ 2009 second-round pick (No. 37): CB Alphonso Smith

Analysis: NFL Network analysts Charley Casserly, Mike Mayock and Michael Lombardi are in agreement on this trade: Smith is not worth next year's first round pick. They think the price is too high for a cornerback who is only 5-foot-9 with questionable speed. "Itís a little dangerous to trade away next yearís one," Lombardi said. "Youíre taking a chance, especially on a corner, and a small corner at that. That bothers me." The Seahawks will receive the Broncos' natural pick in 2010 and not the one acquired from the Bears for Cutler.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80ff4515&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think he's implying that you used a 2010 1st round pick to get the mid round pick you used on Smith - implying you "gave up" two picks - the 2010 first and the pick you actually used to select him.

Semantics, I know - but I think that's what he meant.

orange
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
If he meant that, then he's even stupider than I thought. You only use the pick you actually use.

I prefer to think he was just a bit confused.

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
One thing I found ironic was that Denver, which had been renowned under Shanarat for being able to find a running back anytime, anywhere, and plugging them in to be a 1,000 yard rusher, is now coached by a guy who stated this weekend that they went and got Moreno with the first pick because he knows how hard it is in this league to find a good running back...

patteeu
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Taking a RB at 12 seems like the kind of thing you ought to do when he's one of your last pieces of the puzzle, not when you're desperate for defense. Surely one of the stable of guys you signed during the offseason would have been enough to cover up your QB deficiency.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm thrilled by the Broncos draft.

OnTheWarpath58
If he meant that, then he's even stupider than I thought. You only use the pick you actually use.

I prefer to think he was just a bit confused.

Go nuts.

Makes no difference to me.

MoreLemonPledge
One thing I found ironic was that Denver, which had been renowned under Shanarat for being able to find a running back anytime, anywhere, and plugging them in to be a 1,000 yard rusher, is now coached by a guy who stated this weekend that they went and got Moreno with the first pick because he knows how hard it is in this league to find a good running back...

And a guy who's running back committees in New England were arguably worse than Shanahan's.

orange
04-27-2009, 04:37 PM

McDaniels was quoted in the Denver Post as saying something like "Believe me, I know how hard it is to find runningbacks."

The Dillon/Maroney factor at play.

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok, so I've been gone since Friday... and have only now really been able to start digesting all that happened over the weekend. My first thoughts were "Crap - they didn't go defense with that first pick." And, my second thought was "They did what with the 2010 R1 pick?"

So, after I have read through the various information, I'm content with what happened. I mean, seriously... like I have another option. :spock:

Anyway - in regards to Moreno, I love the idea of having him on the team, I think he's very talented and is going to be an integral part of that offense, especially with Orton as QB. An average QBs best friend is a hell of a supporting cast. Denver has a nice oline, great young receivers and now... a true lead threat at RB. I will be interested to see how the depth shakes out with the mass of options they have at this time. And, for a team that is likely going to field a questionable defense against a brutal schedule... a strong running game should help, so from that aspect I like the pick.

DEF - I like Ayers... while I would have preferred them trading up for Raji or going DEF/DEF... I like this guy as a strong addition to the front 7.

Alphonso Smith... better be worth the trade and while he received high marks prior to the draft, I'm just a bit surprised the made the move to get him. I know they can definitely use him, I'm just surprised that he is the DEF option they took after making the trade.

I like McBath and Bruton... both should be good contributors, I was hoping McBath would be on their radar.

Quinn... I dunno what to think really, not sure he's the answer to any significant question they had, but we'll see.

The final 4 picks (Olsen, McKinley, Brandstater, Schlueter)... are bit players at this point and we'll see if any of them stick.

Maybe the Broncos really love their DEF cast of characters they have now, but I do wonder if they missed out by not going DEF/DEF in Round 1.

I haven't had a chance to look for the threads from this site that likely had all the bashing of Broncos' picks, but I'll find it. :doh!:

The first 4 seletions should have an impact this year... they'll essentially define the success or failure of the draft. I'll go pick through the UDFA updates soon, but I read that it looks like they went DL/LB heavy.

Ok.. feel free to post and tell me why they sucked. :evil:

i love moreno, he'll be an excellent pro and is a total gamer....

the rest of your draft is eh...with the giving of a 2010 #1 for a second round CB just brutally bad...you sound just like we do, trying to rationalize a draft that leaves you a bit queasy....

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
McDaniels was quoted in the Denver Post as saying something like "Believe me, I know how hard it is to find runningbacks."

The Dillon/Maroney factor at play.

Yeah exactly. You've got to believe that he's looking to play ball control with his offense to keep that defense off the field...

patteeu
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
One of the guys on the radio today, I can't remember who and I can't remember whether it was a local host or a national guest, said something that rang pretty true to me about Denver's draft. He suggested that their actions had the smell of "win now" and he thought it was because McDaniels has already created such a mess with the fanbase and the owner that if he doesn't win early he won't last as head coach very long (maybe even just one year). Picking a RB at 12 and trading next year's 1st for a 2nd this year both seem to fit that "win now" analysis. :shrug:

orange
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
i love moreno, he'll be an excellent pro and is a total gamer....

the rest of your draft is eh...with the giving of a 2010 #1 for a second round CB just brutally bad...you sound just like we do, trying to rationalize a draft that leaves you a bit queasy....

The guy was a two-time All-American. He's short. The Broncos rated him as a first-round talent.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him, but IF he's a first-rounder then I'm totally onboard with going for him aggressively.

One-year = one-round in NFL trades traditionally. Carolina knows this, too (Otah, Brown).

Miles
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

:spock:

orange
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
One of the guys on the radio today, I can't remember who and I can't remember whether it was a local host or a national guest, said something that rang pretty true to me about Denver's draft. He suggested that their actions had the smell of "win now" and he thought it was because McDaniels has already created such a mess with the fanbase and the owner that if he doesn't win early he won't last as head coach very long (maybe even just one year). Picking a RB at 12 and trading next year's 1st for a 2nd this year both seem to fit that "win now" analysis. :shrug:

They started the year with Cutler - now they don't have him. Why not use all the picks they got for him NOW just to get back as close as they can to where they started?

Valiant
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Moreno should do well in that system if teams don't stack up against him. It will be interesting to see if teams dare Orton to beat them -- he's got the weapons downfield but I'm completely clueless as to how well he'll be able to reach them. If they stack up against Orton I guess we'll find out.

Ayers was a horrendous pick. He does not fit the 3-4 anywhere except OLB and he was a one-year wonder. Congratulations MHM, you've got Turk McBride, Vol. II.

Isn't the system gone now with the Rat out?? Or are they going to keep the zone blocking scheme??

orange
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Isn't the system gone now with the Rat out?? Or are they going to keep the zone blocking scheme??

I think they're keeping the scheme. One of the new players (Moreno maybe) said he liked that they had the same scheme he knew - "zone in, zone out" or something like that.

[edit] here it is:

Moreno said he couldn't be happier to be picked by Denver.

"At Georgia, we ran the inside-outside zone, and the Broncos do that," Moreno said. "That's great. I feel comfortable with that."

58kcfan89
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
No, Moreno is a stud. I don't think RB's are worth taking that high, but there's not a team in the league that wouldn't want a guy like Moreno in the backfield.

Atlanta? Minnesota? Carolina? Tennessee?

There's a few that have backs a lot better (and obviously more proven) than Moreno. Just sayin'. I would think Moreno would be great in Philly, Houston, Baltimore & a few other places, but I don't know how well he's gunna fit in with what Denver has right now. Remember, this isn't the Shanarat offense anymore.

As someone already said, teams will probably load up on Moreno & make Orton beat them with his arm, something I don't think he'll be able to do consistently.

Valiant
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
The guy was a two-time All-American. He's short. The Broncos rated him as a first-round talent.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him, but IF he's a first-rounder then I'm totally onboard with going for him aggressively.

One-year = one-round in NFL trades traditionally. Carolina knows this, too (Otah, Brown).

Hopefully for you it works out, I am hoping it does not as a Chiefs fan..

I just don't see him transitioning that well in the NFL as a DB against the bigger/faster NFL WR's.. He is a great tackler though..

easymobee
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I pray to the football gods that Tyson Jackson and Dorsey join the 1st round scrapheap that is currently populated by Hali and Sims. Hopefully 1st round DL becomes what Bill Buckner was to Sox fans. Curse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
The Broncos UDFA class has a lot more value than their horrible draft.

patteeu
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
They started the year with Cutler - now they don't have him. Why not use all the picks they got for him NOW just to get back as close as they can to where they started?

Would you have been happier, less happy, or the same degree of happiness if the Cutler trade had returned a 2009 2nd rounder instead of the 2010 1st rounder? I'm more interested in the 1st rounder unless I expect the team who originally held it is going to be really good, which brings me to the other aspect of the Bronco's draft day trade...

Unless I'm mistaken, the Broncos traded their own 2010 first rather than the 2010 first acquired from Chicago. My expectation is that the Broncos are going to be worse than Chicago next year so IMO they gave up their best 2010 pick. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Denver ends up with a top 10 drafting position. If so, that would be a big price to pay for that CB. The flip side, of course, is that this seems to indicate some degree of confidence on the part of the Denver brain trust that the team will be good enough in the upcoming season to end up with later draft position thereby reducing the ultimate cost of the transaction. Time will tell.

HemiEd
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Yeah, I had a few chuckles over that myself.

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM

you gave up what could easily be a top 15 pick in 2010 for a 2nd round CB

no CB is worth that in todays' NFL.....what did Champ Bailey get you?

easymobee
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
you gave up what could easily be a top 15 pick in 2010 for a 2nd round CB

no CB is worth that in todays' NFL.....what did Champ Bailey get you?
Your team gave up a 3rd overall pick for tyson jackson
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
My overall reaction to the Broncos draft is that they got a lot of good PLAYERS, so that may pay off for them well in the long run. The places I think they went awry were:

1) Players don't really fit their needs
2) Gave up way too much to trade up

Denver Dave
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

And what's worse, Denver now has a coach that believes in utilizing fewer resources (late round picks) on QBs, the most important position on the field. As oppose to the position (RB) where short shelf life, wear-and-tear and attrition limit the amount of production you'll get.

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah

and?

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Your team traded their franchise QB who's just hitting his prime. All because they wanted our QB.

orange
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Would you have been happier, less happy, or the same degree of happiness if the Cutler trade had returned a 2009 2nd rounder instead of the 2010 1st rounder? I'm more interested in the 1st rounder unless I expect the team who originally held it is going to be really good, which brings me to the other aspect of the Bronco's draft day trade...

Unless I'm mistaken, the Broncos traded their own 2010 first rather than the 2010 first acquired from Chicago. My expectation is that the Broncos are going to be worse than Chicago next year so IMO they gave up their best 2010 pick. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Denver ends up with a top 10 drafting position. If so, that would be a big price to pay for that CB. The flip side, of course, is that this seems to indicate some degree of confidence on the part of the Denver brain trust that the team will be good enough in the upcoming season to end up with later draft position thereby reducing the ultimate cost of the transaction. Time will tell.

I always considered that trade as a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I actually do value future picks one level down (you can have a look at a thread by Rain Man last Friday where we discussed this at length http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206430&page=3). This trade didn't shock me at all. I was surprised by the pick - I expected Brace at that point.

As for missing a possible top 10 pick - I don't think it will happen, but even if it does - THAT'S A GOOD THING. High draft picks have become a curse, not a blessing. Look at this year - the Chiefs are going to have to pay franchise-QB money to a DE expected to be drafted at 12 because they couldn't move the pick. San Francisco's GM was quoted last week as saying he'd been contacted by 7 of the 9 teams picking before him that wanted to trade down.

No big loss if you ask me.

Adept Havelock
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Your team traded their franchise QB who's just hitting his prime. All because they wanted our QB.

ROFL

Good point.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
And a guy who's running back committees in New England were arguably worse than Shanahan's.

Arguably worse than Shannahan's? Go see where Denver ranked in the league in rushing over Shanny's tenure in Denver.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 05:40 PM

I can see a lot of truth in this.

redsurfer11
04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Moreno is the steal of the draft. Check out one of his runs in HS. www.app.com, scroll down to the bottom right.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Not to mention the Pats did fine using a bunch of veterans in a committee and got burned with Maroney when they tried taking a RB in the first.

buddha
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I like Moreno, but the rest of the Denver draft was perplexing. Losing the 2010 first round draft to move up to get the short CB made no sense to me. He had better be great...I mean Darrell Green great.

MickeyD continues to cause many tightened sphincters in Donk land.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Arguably worse than Shannahan's? Go see where Denver ranked in the league in rushing over Shanny's tenure in Denver.

I didn't mean in terms of production. I meant in having no clear cut number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 at any point. Recently they have just put the ball into somebody's hands and hoped for the best. The one time NE did put some faith in a RB was Maroney and we know how well that's going.

It just surprises me that McDaniels made a RB his number one priority.

prhom
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
So I watched the draft with a bunch of broncos fans and it was pricelss to watch their faces when they announced the Moreno pick. I thought it was pretty strange, but I read that San Diego was interested in Moreno too, and I'd much rather have him on the Broncos than the Chargers.

Von Dumbass
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Before you Chef fans diss the Moreno pick you should watch this video with Denver's GM.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3277&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

They wanted Tyson Jackson and BJ Raji at 12, but one team reached and another team got a great value on a Nose Tackle.

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Before you Chef fans diss the Moreno pick you should watch this video with Denver's GM.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3277&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

They wanted Tyson Jackson and BJ Raji at 12, but one team reached and another team got a great value on a Nose Tackle.

read the thread you homer dipshit

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM

LMAO

Von Dumbass
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
read the thread you homer dipshit

I saw your post where you gave Moreno props.... I was responding to the other guys that were saying Denver shouldn't have picked a RB at 12.

Hog Farmer
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
ORTON LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

el borracho
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM

So we stole the QB your coach wanted and the DE your coach wanted? Sweet!

CrazyPhuD
04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
So we stole the QB your coach wanted and the DE your coach wanted? Sweet!

Don't forget we also forced them to trade their Franchise QB for a one year wonder and mighty mouse part II. ROFL

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Broncos just signed Britton Colquit

OctoberFart
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I didn't mean in terms of production. I meant in having no clear cut number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 at any point. Recently they have just put the ball into somebody's hands and hoped for the best. The one time NE did put some faith in a RB was Maroney and we know how well that's going.

Donks draft was screwed up but not as bad as old man AL. All raiders need to scout is 40 times. Just look at the position to need and draft the fastest guy. Al should of just went and got another olympic sprinter. What a waste of a pick when his old wrinkly arse could of traded back 10 spots and still got Darius HB. 2nd round pick doesn't even deserve discussion other than when is he going to die so they can get a compentant owner.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Got ya', thanks. Yours is a view shared by many.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I like Moreno, but the rest of the Denver draft was perplexing. Losing the 2010 first round draft to move up to get the short CB made no sense to me. He had better be great...I mean Darrell Green great.

MickeyD continues to cause many tightened sphincters in Donk land.

Aint that the truth. Kid better produce come game day. I'm not saying he wont', I'm saying he better.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
So I watched the draft with a bunch of broncos fans and it was pricelss to watch their faces when they announced the Moreno pick. I thought it was pretty strange, but I read that San Diego was interested in Moreno too, and I'd much rather have him on the Broncos than the Chargers.

I'm all for having a burner RB and I think Moreno is a stud. I also think a RB can and will go down to injury quicker than any other position. We'll know more about this and all other draft picks in a year or two.

veist
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm all for having a burner RB and I think Moreno is a stud. I also think a RB can and will go down to injury quicker than any other position. We'll know more about this and all other draft picks in a year or two.

Truth, outside of KR is there a position with a shorter shelf life these days?

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah exactly. You've got to believe that he's looking to play ball control with his offense to keep that defense off the field...

Wassup DaWolf, as i recall you're a Cal Bear fan right? I did a little research on Cameron Morrah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuxSOUMTgU) the tight end we drafted in the 7th round. the kid looks pretty damn good! It seems like he should have gone sooner in the draft.

Do you know much about this dude? Thanks.

(Maybe he looks so good because most of his highlight film is against the Huskies defense) :)

SenselessChiefsFan
04-28-2009, 12:29 AM

We can hope, but I think Moreno is going to be phenomenal for about four years. Then, he will flame out due to the constant pounding he will take.

chiefscafan
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately mile ayerS while good last year is a one year wonder. I love knowshon an branderster kid. I think branderster was gonna be our pick so MCdaniels traded up ahead of us. That's my two cents

patteeu
04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately mile ayerS while good last year is a one year wonder. I love knowshon an branderster kid. I think branderster was gonna be our pick so MCdaniels traded up ahead of us. That's my two cents

What makes you think that? Just a hunch?

Mile High Mania
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Ayers could be a 1-hit wonder, but history shows that half or more of these picks wind up missing the mark. So, the predominantly orange and blue fans will just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
We'll have to wait and see obviously on the draft grades, but I did find this interesting. Last year, few thought Clady would have an impact in year one and most seemed to think that Royal was a reach. So, while half the draft typically fails... half or more of the "expert draft grades" are a big miss also.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/4/28/857363/grading-draft-grades-a-look-at-the

Just Passin' By
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
I think that both Denver and K.C. had good drafts. Of course, if Alphonso Smith turns out to be another Chris Canty, Broncos fans will break out the pitchforks and storm the tower.

Jethopper
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I think that both Denver and K.C. had good drafts. Of course, if Alphonso Smith turns out to be another Chris Canty, Broncos fans will break out the pitchforks and storm the Cassel.

:thumb:

orange
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM

What makes you think that? Just a hunch?

I was going to post a message to that effect Sunday. I saw an interview with Brandstater where he said he had talked to Cassel quite a bit (and Cassel had high praise for McDaniels).

But the next story mentioned that he and Cassel have the same agent and that's how they hooked up, so I backed off.

He does sure fit the Brady/Cassel mold, though, so I suspect Pioli gave him a look.

kcbubb
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
why would the broncos give up a 1st next year for short corner like smith when they could have drafted DJ Moore in the 4th??? bad decision. you watch. DJ Moore out of Vandy will be a player. If you have ever seen him play, you already knew that. ask a USC gamecock fan.

Von Dumbass
04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
why would the broncos give up a 1st next year for short corner like smith when they could have drafted DJ Moore in the 4th??? bad decision. you watch. DJ Moore out of Vandy will be a player. If you have ever seen him play, you already knew that. ask a USC gamecock fan.

Smith was the number 1 CB on Denver's draft board.

Mile High Mania
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM

I have no idea how they had the CBs ranked... it's not like Smith was a reach, most had him as a late 1 or early R2 projection. Moore was also projected in R2... he was a hell of a pick in R4 if he's truly one of the top 4-5 CBs in this draft.

The NFL draft is a well calculated crap shoot. If Smith truly was deserving of being a R1 talent in 2009, then trading the 2010 pick to get him in R2 is ok by me.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009CB.php
http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/cb.php
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=30
http://www.thefootballexpert.com/2009nfldraftCB.html - actually had Moore over Smith

veist
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Smith was the number 1 CB on Denver's draft board.

I have no idea how they had the CBs ranked... it's not like Smith was a reach, most had him as a late 1 or early R2 projection. Moore was also projected in R2... he was a hell of a pick in R4 if he's truly one of the top 4-5 CBs in this draft.

The NFL draft is a well calculated crap shoot. If Smith truly was deserving of being a R1 talent in 2009, then trading the 2010 pick to get him in R2 is ok by me.

I think the logic behind the pick itself was fine its just the compensation that you gave away in exchange for the pick that has people scratching their heads. If he's amazing then it looks genius if he ends up just avg or only slightly above avg it looks silly.

booger
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
tags) josh mcd rides ponys (tags

Mile High Mania
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I think the logic behind the pick itself was fine its just the compensation that you gave away in exchange for the pick that has people scratching their heads. If he's amazing then it looks genius if he ends up just avg or only slightly above avg it looks silly.

I agree 100%...