PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pro Football Weekly grades the Chiefs draft "Outstanding"...

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Kansas City Chiefs New GM Scott Pioli did not have a second-round pick after securing a potential franchise quarterback in exchange, where he clearly received great value, if Matt Cassel adapts well to a new environment and continues to improve. With no trade suitors, selecting DE Tyson Jackson may not have been quite the reach it appeared to be, especially considering how difficult it is to fill the five-technique position. Character questions forced DT Alex Magee and CB Donald Washington to slip, but both possess clear starter potential. From Round Five on, Pioli rolled the dice on a bunch of niche talent and may not have landed much. Although their draft involves more risk than wed prefer, the Chiefs have a demanding coaching staff that should get the most out of its talent, and the addition of a starting quarterback makes this draft. Pioli likely added four starters at the most valuable positions on the roster.
Grade: Outstanding

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2009/grades042709.htm

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
bit about san diego is interesting

For our analysis of the draft, we will use an abbreviated scouting scale with four terms — outstanding, good, average and questionable — to evaluate draft classes. Grades were assigned based on the number of starters we believe each team can be expected to have acquired, with two starters and a nickel contributor being the expectation by which we judged each team. Those teams we think were able to meet that expectation did a good job. Anyone producing better did an outstanding job. Future picks that were acquired for the first three rounds of subsequent drafts will be counted as potential starters, and veterans acquired also need to be factored into the equation. Because of the premium placed on the QB position, the acquisition of a Pro Bowl quarterback is being considered equivalent to two starters.

To be fair, the best work of scouting departments is often done after the draft in what used to be Rounds 8-12, where many teams often produce starters. Not all undrafted free agents have even finished signing deals, making these grades very incomplete. For example, the Chargers' 2003 draft was discouraging, with the first three picks — Sammy Davis, Drayton Florence and Terrence Kiel, all drafted in the first 62 picks, turning out to be disappointments. But when taking into account an undrafted free-agent class that included not only three starters, but three Pro Bowlers — TE Antonio Gates, OG Kris Dielman and special-teams superstar Kassim Osgood — not to mention Pro Bowl P Mike Scifres in the fifth round, A.J. Smith’s 2003 draft may rank among the best ever.

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
:)

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
raiders grade should've been EPIC FAIL

Short Leash Hootie
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
here we go...

wild1
04-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro football weekly is clearly nothing more than a mindless Pioli drone

jAZ
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Character questions forced DT Alex Magee and CB Donald Washington to slip

If this is true, then it makes me like our draft even more. Because attitude and character (at least in within "the system") are qualities that Pioli places high value on.

If other teams passed on these guys not because of their ability, but because of fears over their attitude... and Pioli cleared them enough to draft them... then they might translate to the high value steals that people were bitching we didn't have.

Direckshun
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Glad somebody else agree.

Hard to imagine somebody not liking Magee.

The guy was a stud DT heading into last year and could have gotten drafted higher, but once injuries racked Purdue, he volunteered to his coach to play DE at 300 lbs. Really hurt his draft stock, but it shows he's a team-first player, and not to mention rushing with his hand in the dirt gave him fantastic experience to be a 3-4 DE.

Mr. Krab
04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
i don't understand how they can't rate it "Outstanding" even if you just go by their own description.

may not have been quite the reach it appeared to be
Character questions
rolled the dice on a bunch of niche talent and may not have landed much
involves more risk than we’d prefer

With all the risk and questions they list, how can it be outstanding? :spock:

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Character concerns? Um...

But this isn't the Pioli way, right? We're about roses and sunshine and "good guys."

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Character concerns? Um...

But this isn't the Pioli way, right? We're about roses and sunshine and "good guys."

Sorry,but who said it wasn't Pioli's way?

Moss and Dillon come to mind.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry,but who said it wasn't Pioli's way?

Moss and Dillon come to mind.

Earlier conversation from today.

And you just took up my position exactly. Moss, video taping...

This "high character" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. Although Dirk made a good point about it carrying a bit more relevance in the formative stages of the program.

HolmeZz
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Where were Magee's character concerns?

BigRock
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Purdue alum Rod Woodson thinks McGee was a great pick.

OnTheWarpath58
04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

This "high character" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. Although Dirk made a good point about it carrying a bit more relevance in the formative stages of the program.

But Pioli never would have taken Raji, he had some supposed character concerns.

Sound about right?

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

You gotta have a balance. A team full of malcontents won't work, but a team full of guys who can't play but are nice won't work either. The fact that LJ is still around should say something. Pioli is probably not interested in guys like TO who are all about themselves, but is interested in guys who may have issues as long as they can help within the team structure.

I agree that it's easier to take those guys on when you have solid leaders running the show, like a Brady. You'll put up with Dennis Rodman as long as he rebounds and as long as MJ is out there kicking ass and winning games...

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Sound about right?

i think the fact that EVERYONE said raji was really lazy, as in the laziest guy on the team lazy, is what hurt him in our(chiefs) eyes

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
just watching mel kiper on espn and he said that raji was a NT/DE in a 3-4. wtf???

BigRock
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
The character questions about Washington are that he got suspended for 2 games at Ohio State for violating team rules.

I hadn't heard anything negative about Magee's character. I think I remember reading that he wanted to be a DEA or FBI agent if he hadn't gone into football. I think they're smoking crack.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Anyone who has seen Raji speak knows that he is one crazy dude.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
LOL at draft rankings within 12 months of the draft.

Micjones
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
But, but, but...

Chiefs fans say we drafted a bunch of turds who won't help this team compete.

RJ
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Until very recently, I had never heard the term "5 technique position".

I'm already quite tired of it.

We should have a CP contest to come up with a catchier name for the spot where our #1 pick is going to be playing. "5 technique position" sounds so darned clinical. And boring.

wild1
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone who has seen Raji speak knows that he is one crazy dude.

isn't he the one that his coach called him the laziest guy on the team?

Molitoth
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Pro football weekly is clearly nothing more than a mindless Pioli drone

Oh yes, and you prefer Herm + Carl drones???

Has Pioli not proved enough to you? Which GM do you think was best suited for the KC job?

Give the best GM in football a chance you dumbass.

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Has Pioli not proved enough to you? Which GM do you think was best suited for the KC job?

maybe he was being sarcastic???? i could be wrong

edit: if he was being sarcastic you could find multiple other posters to throw that post at:D

buddha
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Until very recently, I had never heard the term "5 technique position".

I'm already quite tired of it.

We should have a CP contest to come up with a catchier name for the spot where our #1 pick is going to be playing. "5 technique position" sounds so darned clinical. And boring.

Who cares if you're tired of it or not? That's the name of the position. Blame Bear Bryant for coming up with the way of naming defensive line positions.

Raji had really good feet, but dude is one fat guy. He will probably become another Gilbert Brown, which isn't bad, but I wouldn't use as high a pick on somebody like that.

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

I totally took it as a sarcastic post as well

Molitoth
04-27-2009, 06:41 PM
maybe he was being sarcastic???? i could be wrong

edit: if he was being sarcastic you could find multiple other posters to throw that post at:D

Hell its just a messageboard, take what I say with a grain of salt... expecially if it was sarcasm. =P

That said, I really don't see why people won't give Pioli a chance.... he went into NE picking non-big names and built a Dynasty. We bring him into KC excited, and just because he drafts non-big name players in his first draft, people are ready to throw him under the bus. Being associated with these dumbasses just sucks.

Molitoth
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
f*ck, sorry wild1 if that was sarcasm dude.

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Hell its just a messageboard, take what I say with a grain of salt... expecially if it was sarcasm. =P

That said, I really don't see why people won't give Pioli a chance.... he went into NE picking non-big names and built a Dynasty. We bring him into KC excited, and just because he drafts non-big name players in his first draft, people are ready to throw him under the bus. Being associated with these dumbasses just sucks.

trust me i feel the EXACT same way, thats why i said to look around you could find MULTIPLE other posters to throw that at. CUT AND PASTE

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
f*ck, sorry wild1 if that was sarcasm dude.

he could have been serious IDK i just took it as sarcasm

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
he could have been serious IDK i just took it as sarcasm

No,I think if you do a search and catch some of his posts you'll see it was sarcasm,in fact I callled him a voice of reason the other day.

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty sure wild1 was being sarcastic.

Brock
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Pioli was no draft God in NE. He drafted well with QBs, OL, and DL. With WRs and TEs, not so much.

mlyonsd
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
No,I think if you do a search and catch some of his posts you'll see it was sarcasm,in fact I callled him a voice of reason the other day.

Yea, like you'd know.

Molitoth
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM

and in that case I appoligize and will get him some positive rep. :p

Molitoth
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Pioli was no draft God in NE. He drafted well with QBs, OL, and DL. With WRs and TEs, not so much.

The foundation of a team. I'll take that!

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
and in that case I appoligize and will get him some positive rep. :p

again feel free to throw your poat around a little:thumb:

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM

WRs and TEs can be traded for especially WRs they all want out of wherever they are

Pioli Zombie
You know it was so refreshing today out in the real world and listening to every expert I could listen to. You know what I learned?

This wasn't" the worst draft in 30 years"
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
Yea, like you'd know.

why you mother..........:toast:

JASONSAUTO
04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
You know it was so refreshing today out in the real world and listening to every expert I could listen to. You know what I learned?

This wasn't" the worst draft in 30 years"
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL refreshing is the right word

Pioli Zombie
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Considering the top 2 picks were on the DL, isn't this a good thing even to you?

Yeah Branch and Givens didn't do shit, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
04-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Considering the top 2 picks were on the DL, isn't this a good thing even to you?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know what you mean by "even to you".

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM

As a Chiefs fan I don't need a draft god,I'd be happy as hell with just a small bit of the postseason success he helped bring to NE

RippedmyFlesh
04-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Sound about right?
I almost think it's not about "character" it is about how hard you work at your craft. As long as you put in the work you're good.To the point of over looking other things as long as the job is done correctly.Hamas talked about LT which could be short for Lots of Talent(g rated version " a jerk" as a person hamas version more colorful)and it's true if the talent is there character doesn't carry much if any weight. Its the marginal guys where that could be the tie breaker as far as a rostor spot.

Pioli Zombie
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't know what you mean by "even to you".
Ok you are right. I apologize. I'm just so used to responding to Mecca, Hamas, Dane and DarthCarlRiotsRaisedOn it was habit.

But the point is the focus was on the DL so its its a good thing Pioli has a great track record there.
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
why you mother..........:toast:

:toast: Back at you. Hope things are going well.

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
:toast: Back at you. Hope things are going well.

:thumb:

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Sound about right?

Indeed.

I respect the opinion that some have about Raji's skill set not justifying the selection, but I don't think the character bit carried much weight.

RippedmyFlesh
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Thats true but I figure he will listen to haley as far as wideouts and I am good with haley picking WR's he wants.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
You gotta have a balance. A team full of malcontents won't work, but a team full of guys who can't play but are nice won't work either. The fact that LJ is still around should say something. Pioli is probably not interested in guys like TO who are all about themselves, but is interested in guys who may have issues as long as they can help within the team structure.

I agree that it's easier to take those guys on when you have solid leaders running the show, like a Brady. You'll put up with Dennis Rodman as long as he rebounds and as long as MJ is out there kicking ass and winning games...

I agree that there must be a balance. No question.

But we're not searching only a bunch of "team" guys. That sounds nice and plays well on the radio cause we can all have a warm fuzzy about the group of good guys we're putting together. But let's face it: this is a talent-driven league.

Regarding LJ, I fully expect him to be released. Not because of his lack of character but rather because of his limited skill set. Dude has marginal hands and refuses to block.

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
But let's face it: this is a talent-driven league.

Bingo and that talent goes all the way to the top thus the reason I'm giving this administration my full support,they come from good stock and have a successful history,so until they give me a reason to really doubt I'm trusting they know what the hell they're doing.

boogblaster
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
If this draft has at least two starters we'll do ok .. maybe the two DL and the RB can help us ... the K if is anything can help .. as far as LJ he can rumble but he has to have a hole to run through ...