PDA

View Full Version : On to the 2010 Draft

SBK
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
So who are the top defensive prospects coming out next year?

The Franchise
04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Give me Taylor Mays or Eric Berry.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I like Taylor Mays alot. Anybody see any standout 3-4 pass rushers?

I think there's a good chance Adrian Clayborn is a standout this season and might be a good mid-round 3-4 DE.

the Talking Can
04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
we need LBs (many), a WR, center/guard/RT, safety, and maybe a RB

L.A. Chieffan
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
*insert token USC, Ohio St, Texas, SEC players here*

bdeg
04-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I think there's a good chance Adrian Clayborn is a standout this season and might be a good mid-round 3-4 DE.

Man, I've been singin this kid's praises since the first game I saw him play. Great physical player. Good instincts, he'll be a good player.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Man, I've been singin this kid's praises since the first game I saw him play. Great physical player. Good instincts, he'll be a good player.

I got some good reviews on the kid here on this board when we recruited him and so far he hasn't disappointed.

Delano
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
How about nose tackles, assuming we have a need after this season's experiment with players already on the roster?

I think the only guy I've really watched is Terrance Cody from Bama.

Chiefnj2
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Selvie (OLB in NFL) USF
Spikes (LB) FL
Worilds (DL) - VT
Suh (DL) Neb
Weatherspoon (LB) - Miss

The Franchise
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
How about nose tackles, assuming we have a need after this season's experiment with players already on the roster?

I might change my stance if Tank Tyler can't play the NT position. If he can....then I believe OLB and S become our biggest needs on D.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap (doesn't fit for us :deevee:), Everson Griffen (doesn't really fit for us), Terrence Cody

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Bring in Spikes and Mays

Mr. Arrowhead
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Terrance Cody would be a good NT in the 3-4

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Selvie (OLB in NFL) USF
Spikes (LB) FL
Worilds (DL) - VT
Suh (DL) Neb
Weatherspoon (LB) - Miss

Suh could be another good 3-4 DE.

sfchief
04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Terrance Cody would be a good NT in the 3-4

There's our 1st round pick right there

Delano
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Is it a weak year for WRs at this point?

Otter
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
TeeBow!!!!!

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I think we should consider taking a DL early.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Is it a weak year for WRs at this point?

Yes. There are guys like Arrelious Benn, Dez Bryant and Damian Williams but as of now the prospects are not as good and the class isn't as deep.

Very strong DE class with Dunlap, Griffen, Norwood, Cunningham, Hardy, Selvie and others.

Very good DT/NT class with Cody, McCoy, Granger, Atkins, Suh, Marsh.

Awesome safety class with Berry and Mays at the top. Major Wright, Chad Jones and others are good too.

Pablo
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
The real question for the Chiefs is: "Who's the best prospect out of LSU next year?"

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Mays or Berry would be outstanding.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
The real question for the Chiefs is: "Who's the best prospect out of LSU next year?"

Ciron Black, OT or Brandon LaFell, WR

RUSH
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap (doesn't fit for us :deevee:), Everson Griffen (doesn't really fit for us), Terrence Cody

Do you think Griffen can develop into a rushbacker? I have only seen him a few times and I know he is very fast and athletic. 6'3 260 or something like that, good size for a rushbacker. It seems like he would be able to make that transition, but I haven't seen him enough to make that judgment.

bowener
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM

No. He fits. He can play for any team if he is as good as some people are saying he is. Saw on one site that he was 6'7", 290lbs and runs a 4.63. If that is true, then he can play the "predator" position for us, and rush the shit out of the QB all game long.

edit:

Site 1 (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/jun/29/dunlapcarlos46013/)
Site 2 (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/ncaa_blog/2009/01/carlos_dunlap_you_heard_it_her.html)

I guess he really is that big, and that fast. That needs to be our pick for future OLB/Predator.

Side note...
When you read about kids like him, doesn't it just make you shake your head and think about how unfair it is that you werent born with their physical talents... bastards!

Direckshun
04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
As of now.

My favorite QBs...

Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
Colt McCoy, Texas
Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

My favorite RBs (all of them bigger, LJ-type backs)...

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
Charles Scott, LSU

My favorite WRs (all of them downfield threats)...

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
(This is a really weak WR year coming in.)

My favorite OL...

OG Sergio Render, Virginia Tech
OG John Jerry, Ole Miss
RT Mike Johnson, Alabama
C Kristofer O'Dowd, USC
C John Estes, Hawaii

My favorite NT...

NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest
NT Terrence Cody, Alabama

My favorite rushbackers... this is not a bad draft for them...

Dexter Davis, Arizona State
Rahim Alem, LSU
Auston English, Oklahoma
Antonio Coleman, Auburn
George Selvie, South Florida
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida

My favorite defensive backs (other than free safeties, I like bigger DBs)...

FS/SS Taylor Mays, USC
FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
SS Chad Jones, LSU

At this point, I am not excited about the CB class at all.

Direckshun
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
My favorite five picks for a hypothetical Top 10 pick next year:

1. NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest
2. OLB Dexter Davis, Arizona State
3. S Taylor Mays, USC
4. OLB George Selvie, South Florida
5. NT Terrance Cody, Alabama

Thig Lyfe
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Todd Reesing!

Direckshun
04-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Todd Reesing!

Pick up Chase Daniel off the waiver wire!

SCTrojan
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
2010 draft?

Please, God, make it stop.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Taylor Mays is going to be ridiculous in the NFL. He's been a fucking man child for almost 7 years now.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you think Griffen can develop into a rushbacker? I have only seen him a few times and I know he is very fast and athletic. 6'3 260 or something like that, good size for a rushbacker. It seems like he would be able to make that transition, but I haven't seen him enough to make that judgment.

Not sure. I haven't seen much of Griffen, but his measurables say yes. I'll watch more of him this coming season.

No. He fits. He can play for any team if he is as good as some people are saying he is. Saw on one site that he was 6'7", 290lbs and runs a 4.63. If that is true, then he can play the "predator" position for us, and rush the shit out of the QB all game long.

edit:

Site 1 (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/jun/29/dunlapcarlos46013/)
Site 2 (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/ncaa_blog/2009/01/carlos_dunlap_you_heard_it_her.html)

I guess he really is that big, and that fast. That needs to be our pick for future OLB/Predator.

Side note...
When you read about kids like him, doesn't it just make you shake your head and think about how unfair it is that you werent born with their physical talents... bastards!

Dunlap is that big (6'6" - 6'7", 290lbs) and he is that fast (somewhere between 4.6 and 4.7). He is a Mario Williams clone and I think he can be even better. He should go Top 3. I expect him to have a monster year and I also expect Jermaine Cunningham to regain his sophomore season form and each to benefit from the other as well as Omar Hunter finally seeing the field and taking up blockers along with Lawrence Marsh.

The Florida D is going to be spectacular this year that any one player may not get crazy stats because there is so much talent (a la USC 2008). Carlos Dunlap, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Lawrence Marsh, Joe Haden and Major Wright should all be high draft picks in 2010 and then there's Janoris Jenkins, Justin Trattou, Omar Hunter, Dustin Doe, AJ Jones, Lorenzo Edwards, Brandon Hicks, Wondy Pierre-Louis, Ahmad Black, Will Hill and Dee Finley. The next 1-3 years the NFL will see a lot of Florida D players go in the first 3 rounds.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Taylor Mays is going to be ridiculous in the NFL. He's been a ****ing man child for almost 7 years now.

Taylor Mays is a crazy athlete. Eric Berry makes me think of Ed Reed.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Taylor Mays is going to be ridiculous in the NFL. He's been a ****ing man child for almost 7 years now.

Assuming nothing goofy happens, like injury, this dude would be a sick draft choice.

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
As of now.

My favorite QBs...

Jevan Snead, Ole Miss
Colt McCoy, Texas
Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

My favorite RBs (all of them bigger, LJ-type backs)...

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
Charles Scott, LSU

My favorite WRs (all of them downfield threats)...

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
(This is a really weak WR year coming in.)

My favorite rushbackers... this is not a bad draft for them...

Dexter Davis, Arizona State
Rahim Alem, LSU
Auston English, Oklahoma
Antonio Coleman, Auburn
George Selvie, South Florida
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida

My favorite defensive backs (other than free safeties, I like bigger DBs)...

FS/SS Taylor Mays, USC
FS Eric Berry, Tennessee
SS Chad Jones, LSU

At this point, I am not excited about the CB class at all.

I really like Jevan Snead.

For RB I like CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best and I think Caleb King can have a strong year.

WR is meh - but Dez Bryant and Arrelious Benn.

I think Brandon Spikes can be a damn fine rush backer at the next level.

Love the 3 safeties you mentioned. I also like Major Wright as a SS.

Delano
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Heh. Walterfootball's 2010 mockdraft. With the third overall selection:

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/chiefsb_logo.gif Kansas City Chiefs: Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas http://walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif
Projected 2009 NFL Draft Pick (as of 4/21): ILB Aaron Curry

With Aaron Curry in the middle of Kansas City's defense, the Chiefs will be able to focus on the exterior come 2010. Sergio Kindle had 10.5 sacks and 21 TFL as a junior. At 6-4, 254, Kindle could run a low 4.5 40, making him the top rush linebacker available in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Delano
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Does Russell Okung from Oklahoma St. project as a RT in the NFL?

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Heh. Walterfootball's 2010 mockdraft. With the third overall selection:

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/chiefsb_logo.gif Kansas City Chiefs: Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas http://walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif
Projected 2009 NFL Draft Pick (as of 4/21): ILB Aaron Curry

With Aaron Curry in the middle of Kansas City's defense, the Chiefs will be able to focus on the exterior come 2010. Sergio Kindle had 10.5 sacks and 21 TFL as a junior. At 6-4, 254, Kindle could run a low 4.5 40, making him the top rush linebacker available in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Somewhere, Mecca's head just exploded.

Reaper16
04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
So much juiciness next year. Carlos "Fuzzy" Dunlap makes me hard; can you imagine Dunlap and Glenn Dorsey on the same line in a 4-3? Oh, what could have been.

Direckshun
04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I really like Jevan Snead.

For RB I like CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best and I think Caleb King can have a strong year.

WR is meh - but Dez Bryant and Arrelious Benn.

I think Brandon Spikes can be a damn fine rush backer at the next level.

Love the 3 safeties you mentioned. I also like Major Wright as a SS.

I'm psuedo-scouting for the Chiefs, though. We have little use for a speed guy. We'll need power first.

WR and CB both seem to be meh right now. Not thrilled with either class.

Spikes is a MLB but has great pass rushing ability -- I remember him making a fool out of Andre Smith. Whether that could translate to pass rushing full-time remains to be seen.

the Talking Can
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
we already have an extra 2nd..i think trading Gonzo will be seen as a huge coup for us next year...

DaKCMan AP
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm psuedo-scouting for the Chiefs, though. We have little use for a speed guy. We'll need power first.

Spikes is a MLB but has great pass rushing ability -- I remember him making a fool out of Andre Smith. Whether that could translate to pass rushing full-time remains to be seen.

When talk was of him being in the 2009 draft many thought he'd transition best as a DE/OLB or a LB who would move to rush DE on passing downs. He has good cover skills, is a monster tackler but he also has very good talent at rushing off the edge. I think he fits in a 4-3, 3-4 or hybrid.

SBK
04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd tend to think we'd be looking for a NT if we don't have one on the roster now, if we do then OLB and possibly a freak a S (if no OLB is worth it) would be areas we'd be looking at.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd tend to think we'd be looking for a NT if we don't have one on the roster now, if we do then OLB and possibly a freak a S (if no OLB is worth it) would be areas we'd be looking at.

I know it doesn't really matter, but it's amazing to think we're going to have major needs in an area that has seen the investment of 3 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 1 third rounder.

Wow.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I know it doesn't really matter, but it's amazing to think we're going to have major needs in an area that has seen the investment of 3 first rounders, 1 second rounder, and 1 third rounder.

Wow.

It's fucking gross. Two top 5 picks in the last 10 years dedicated to defensive line. But in all fairness, we're apparently just going to throw one away. Dorsey will not bust.

orange
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I think we should consider taking a DL early.

Does LSU have one coming out?

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Listen here, Donkey! :cuss:

beer bacon
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Seems like a good year for NTs and 3-4 OLBs. That is what we need.

Of course, by the actual draft next year it could be completely different.

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Spikes would be amazing. He is a BAMF.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 06:53 PM
we already have an extra 2nd..i think trading Gonzo will be seen as a huge coup for us next year...

I'd be willing to bet that this year was an anomaly, given the situation with the late start, the scouts, and everything.

I'll bet we're far more active next year.

the Talking Can
04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
what about RBs and WRs?

anyone know if there might be a RB/WR in the second that we couldn't afford to pass on?

KCrockaholic
04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Somewhere, Mecca's head just exploded.

Mecca actually likes Sergio Kindle...This dude is by far the best guy to come out of Texas next year. Hes got a chance to be special.

KCrockaholic
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
what about RBs and WRs?

anyone know if there might be a RB/WR in the second that we couldn't afford to pass on?

WR Arrelious Benn from Illinois. He might go in the first though. But this guy looks promising.

KCrockaholic
04-28-2009, 11:57 PM
There are a few good HB's for next year in the 2nd round I believe. I like Jahvid Best.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Mecca actually likes Sergio Kindle...This dude is by far the best guy to come out of Texas next year. Hes got a chance to be special.

He's from Texas. Pass.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
He's from Texas. Pass.

Just curious. Have you seen him play? He's is probably the best thing to come out of Texas since Casey Hampton. He should go to atleast 2 probowl's in the same time period that DJ has been in the NFL.

milkman
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
He's from Texas. Pass.

What kcroc said about mecca liking Kidle is true, he does like him in next year's draft.

Given how much mecca dislikes Texas prospects in general it speaks volumes to how good Kindle is.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
What kcroc said about mecca liking Kidle is true, he does like him in next year's draft.

Given how much mecca dislikes Texas prospects in general it speaks volumes to how good Kindle is.

Come'on. Lets not ride the Mecca bandwagon. Lets form our own opinions on the guy. I understand what your saying, but you make it sound like Mecca is the ruler of all draft prospects.

milkman
04-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Come'on. Lets not ride the Mecca bandwagon. Lets form our own opinions on the guy. I understand what your saying, but you make it sound like Mecca is the ruler of all draft prospects.

I'm not riding mecca's bandwagon.

Kindle is a damn good player.

I am just using mecca to illustrate just how good he is.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Does he project as an OLB in the 3-4? Doesn't really have the weight right now, at 239.

Plus some of the short pieces of analysis on the kid make me want to vomit:

"Kindle is one of the most intriguing prospects due to his ability to play multiple positions in college. If he played running back, we¹d compare his game to Eddie George. But we think he¹ll start at linebacker where he is already drawing comparisons to Derrick Johnson given his HT/WT/Speed package."

I'm just saying...

El Jefe
04-29-2009, 08:32 AM

I don't think you're remembering correctly, because Spikes was non existent in the Florida vs Bama game, he did absolutely nothing.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Does he project as an OLB in the 3-4? Doesn't really have the weight right now, at 239.

Plus some of the short pieces of analysis on the kid make me want to vomit:

"Kindle is one of the most intriguing prospects due to his ability to play multiple positions in college. If he played running back, we¹d compare his game to Eddie George. But we think he¹ll start at linebacker where he is already drawing comparisons to Derrick Johnson given his HT/WT/Speed package."

I'm just saying...

I think those comparisons just begin and end with the HT WT Speed ratio that you put on there. He actually weighs around 255 last time I checked. He could be a great fit as a rush LB in the 3-4 if he can put on 10 more pounds and not lose his speed. The guy was a monster when he played runningback, they compare him to Eddie George/Eric Dickerson IMO because he ran straight up and down. That is one thing I want to see more of in Kindle is to bend his knees more. He plays a little to upright for my liking.

Great Expectations
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Jeremy Beal appears to be an ideal outside 3-4 linebacker. A little undersized as a 4-3 d-end and owned our 5th round draft pick.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Jeremy Beal appears to be an ideal outside 3-4 linebacker. A little undersized as a 4-3 d-end and owned our 5th round draft pick.

heh. I dont know much about this guy, who is he with?

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Just curious. Have you seen him play? He's is probably the best thing to come out of Texas since Casey Hampton. He should go to atleast 2 probowl's in the same time period that DJ has been in the NFL.

If that's the case, he'll probably go long before we pick anyway, so it's moot.

Coogs
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
If that's the case, he'll probably go long before we pick anyway, so it's moot.

Sipping the kool-aid, huh? ;)

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Sipping the kool-aid, huh? ;)

No, I just think we're going to win 5 or 6 games, which means we'll pick somewhere between 6 and 10.

If he's so good that playing at Texas doesn't matter, he'll go top 5 guaranteed.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
No, I just think we're going to win 5 or 6 games, which means we'll pick somewhere between 6 and 10.

If he's so good that playing at Texas doesn't matter, he'll go top 5 guaranteed.

Well he is a linebacker. He will probably go between 7-12

Coogs
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Just funnin' you. I still think we are going to go 9-7. May seem a bit high, but I just think we can do well within the division. 5-1 possibly.

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't think you're remembering correctly, because Spikes was non existent in the Florida vs Bama game, he did absolutely nothing.

7 tackles + 2 QB hurries = non existent & absolutely nothing

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
7 tackles + 2 QB hurries = non existent & absolutely nothing

to be fair, those are extremely average stats for a middle linebacker.

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
to be fair, those are extremely average stats for a middle linebacker.

Absolutely. He didn't have a good game, but to say he was non-existent and did absolutely nothing is not accurate.

Great Expectations
04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
heh. I dont know much about this guy, who is he with?

OU, in one of if not his first start he terrorized Chase Daniels in San Antonio as a red shirt freshman. Unless he really bulks up, he appears to be a better outside lb in a 3-4 than a DE in a 4-3.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
OU, in one of if not his first start he terrorized Chase Daniels in San Antonio as a red shirt freshman. Unless he really bulks up, he appears to be a better outside lb in a 3-4 than a DE in a 4-3.

Yeah I remember him now. Ill have to begin my research on some of these guys soon.

Kyle DeLexus
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah I remember him now. Ill have to begin my research on some of these guys soon.

Me too. Anyone know of a few sites that has scouting reports out now? the ones i go to don't have much on 2010 just projected top players by positions

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Me too. Anyone know of a few sites that has scouting reports out now? the ones i go to don't have much on 2010 just projected top players by positions

I wouldnt worry to much about the scouting reports for now. A lot can change over this next college season. I would kind of watch whatever vids you can find for now, then during the season keep your eye on which ever guy you want to know more about. That way you can see the good and bad of each player, instead of just highlights. Then I would look for some scouting reports closer to the end of the season, and compare them with your observations.

Kyle DeLexus
04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I wouldnt worry to much about the scouting reports for now. A lot can change over this next college season. I would kind of watch whatever vids you can find for now, then during the season keep your eye on which ever guy you want to know more about. That way you can see the good and bad of each player, instead of just highlights. Then I would look for some scouting reports closer to the end of the season, and compare them with your observations.

I'm opposite of that, I like to look at the reports first and record as many games as possible then make my own notes and reports from game tape, I don't believe in highlight videos at all. I then base everything off of my notes and compare them to other reports.

The reports I read early(usually sometime between now and midsummer is when the majority come out) just give me an idea of what games to watch and who to watch for. Helpful on who might leave early and such.

I usually take a month or 2 off before starting in on the next draft, but I'm excited about the extra 2nd and some of the players in next years class

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm opposite of that, I like to look at the reports first and record as many games as possible then make my own notes and reports from game tape, I don't believe in highlight videos at all. I then base everything off of my notes and compare them to other reports.

The reports I read early(usually sometime between now and midsummer is when the majority come out) just give me an idea of what games to watch and who to watch for. Helpful on who might leave early and such.

I usually take a month or 2 off before starting in on the next draft, but I'm excited about the extra 2nd and some of the players in next years class

Im real excited about next year already. The day after the draft I was mentioning to my girl that it might be a bad thing that im already excited about next year because ill be begging for it to get here faster. Im already falling in love with Eric Berry and he might not even go pro? It would suck to have to wait until 2011 to see Berry in an NFL uniform. I love college football, but the NFL is truly the test to see what your made of.

I always pick out about 5 guys that I think will be drafted next year and watch each of their games, and gather as much info on them as possible.

This high school football season im taking my BLESTO scouting sheet to local games, meeting some area scouts and taking notes like the rest of them.

bdeg
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
you're going to scout high school football? without pay, for fun?
who were the other 4 guys you scouted last year besides Curry? who's gonna shine who's gonna flop?

KCrockaholic
04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
you're going to scout high school football? without pay, for fun?
who were the other 4 guys you scouted last year besides Curry? who's gonna shine who's gonna flop?

Yep, without pay, for fun. Getting my name around to the other guys and meeting people. Thats the best way to get into the scouting business. On the downside, if you become a full time scout, you wont have much of a life outside of it due to constant traveling. I knew a guy that had to quit his professional scouting career just to keep his family. He never had any time with them, his kids, his wife, or anyone. He loved it other than that.

Anyways, I kept a good eye on Stafford last year. I would go out on a limb and say "hes gonna shine" because trust me, he has every tool you look for in a QB. He has mental lapses at times, but being in Detroit im afraid will truly hinder his growth as an NFL QB. I dont want to see him turn into David Carr, constantly on his back getting sacked.

I watched a few games on Brian Orakpo, not all of them. But I saw 7 so I had a fair evaluation on him. He will be a hit or miss prospect. You will either not hear his name in 5 years, or he will have gone to 2 pro-bowls. If the Redskins D-line coaches can really get on him, and teach him how to rush the passer in the NFL he will be fantastic. He does disappear sometimes in games, but he knows how to play when hes needed most. He was mostly dominant against good competition.

I watched 3 games on Heyward-Bey, and was not real impressed. I guess to be fair Maryland just doesnt throw the ball that much. He has awesome straight-line speed obviously, and can accelerate away from defenders. But that was in college, in the NFL I dont see him being anything special. He drops too many passes from what ive seen. I would say, Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Nicks, even Ramses Barden will end up with better NFL careers than Heyward-Bey. I think he is an alright kid, pretty soft-spoken in his interviews but I will be very surprised if he ends up having a good NFL career. Hes the type of player that might have 50 catches for 800 yards his rookie year, but NFL teams will quickly figure him out and be able to shut him down.

I watched 9 games on a guy named Will Davis from Illinois. Hes a DE drafted in the 6th round this year. Was only a junior, but I think he has nice upside in the NFL. Hes very athletic, although he didnt run a good 40 time at the combine. He needs a lot of technique work when rushing the passer, he doesnt get off blocks very well initially. but I think the perfect team drafted him. He will fit in Arizona's scheme very well if they keep the hybrid which it looks like they will.

Other than these guys, I watched a few guys in a couple games, but didnt actually break down and watch each game. Hakeem Nicks reminds me A LOT of Dwayne Bowe when I watch him. He will be an interesting player, and I think he has a great future in the NFL.

Next year I need to pick out an O-lineman and do some work on him. But the DB's in next years class look incredible. This years class was very weak overall. But next year if we get a top 10 pick I dont think we can miss on whoever we draft.

bdeg
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Ya, I was just thinking I'd rather just watch college and take notes if I felt like doing that, but there's something to be said for the live experience. Not sure which gives you the better view, though. I like to be able to pause, rewind, and rewatch a play a few times to figure out what happened if I need to. It would be fun to watch football for a job, that's for sure.

As for next year, lookin forward to seein those pass rushers :)

Kyle DeLexus
05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro scouts are rarely at a game past halftime. They like to beat the traffic. The vast majority of scouting is tape not live.

KCrockaholic
05-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro scouts are rarely at a game past halftime. They like to beat the traffic. The vast majority of scouting is tape not live.

This is very true, but when a scout wants to actually meet the kid hes recruiting and test his personality, its best to go to the games live. They still travel non-stop though.

Saccopoo
05-03-2009, 06:03 PM
My top five for our first rounder next season:

1. Jermaine Gresham, TE; OU
2. Brandon Spikes, ILB; Florida
3. George Selvie, OLB/DE; South Florida
4. Sergio Kindle, OLB; Texas
5. Ndamukong Suh, DT; Nebraska

Top five second rounders:

1. Dennis Pitta, TE; BYU
2. Ciron Black, OT; LSU
3. John Jerry, OG; Miss
4. Sam Young, OT; Notre Dame
5. Antonio Coleman, DE/OLB; Auburn

Nightfyre
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
My top five for our first rounder next season:

1. Jermaine Gresham, TE; OU
2. Brandon Spikes, ILB; Florida
3. George Selvie, OLB/DE; South Florida
4. Sergio Kindle, OLB; Texas
5. Ndamukong Suh, DT; Nebraska

Top five second rounders:

1. Dennis Pitta, TE; BYU
2. Ciron Black, OT; LSU
3. John Jerry, OG; Miss
4. Sam Young, OT; Notre Dame
5. Antonio Coleman, DE/OLB; Auburn

Why a TE and ILB as your top two? I think we will still be drafting in the top ten.

My top five first rounders are as follows:
1) Carlos Dunlap
2) Terrence Cody
3) Sam Bradford (flame retardant vest - deploy!)
4) George Selvie
5) Berry/Mays

In the second round, I think there will be a metric fuckton of QB value.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
In the second round, I think there will be a metric ****ton of QB value.

Who?

Nightfyre
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Who?

I think you could see a lot of QBs slide due to the sheer number. I mean, you have Bradford, Snead, McCoy, and Tebow and that's just off the top of my head. Sure they're a bunch of spread monkeys, but they could develop over time.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I think you could see a lot of QBs slide due to the sheer number. I mean, you have Bradford, Snead, McCoy, and Tebow and that's just off the top of my head. Sure they're a bunch of spread monkeys, but they could develop over time.

I agree with your claim that they'll slide, but I'd be shocked to see any of the latter three selected before round 3.

Tebow might become the '10 Pat White and climb into the 2nd, but I doubt it.

OnTheWarpath15
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Don't count out Jevon Snead.

The only true pro-style QB of the group. If he has a decent senior season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go mid-late 1st round.

I mean, Christ, if Josh Freeman can go 20th...

Saccopoo
05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Why a TE and ILB as your top two? I think we will still be drafting in the top ten.

Because I've never been a draft spot/player position relevance type of guy. You get the best player available at the greatest position of need is my philosophy. If that's a TE or a ILB, then you take the ILB or TE, even if it's a top ten pick. And god knows that the Chiefs could stand a decent ILB regardless.

Spikes is an absolute beast. Big, physical, athletic and seems to have that rare trait that separates great MLB's from average ones in that he genuinely seems to want to decapitate people every single hit. I think he has a chance to be a special player in the NFL.

And Jermaine Gresham is one of, if not the, best tight end I've ever seen at the college level. Has every single tool that you could possibly want in a tight end. The prototype for that position in the modern football era.

That's why I have them as #1 and #2 on my wish list for next year. Also, I'm hoping that the NFL and the players association will work out a new CBA that sets a rookie draft cap a la the NBA so people/GMs/whoever are no longer as worried about taking a specific position due to the immense costs relative to the players draft spot and teams can actually focus on getting the best players available at positions of need in the draft. I think it would help bring a bit more parity to the league, at least in terms of teams getting players that could/might help them rather than reaching on positions that correspond to the pay scale.

Saccopoo
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I agree with your claim that they'll slide, but I'd be shocked to see any of the latter three selected before round 3.

Tebow might become the '10 Pat White and climb into the 2nd, but I doubt it.

Tebow is going in the first round. Bank on it.

Especially considering that Urban brought in a pro style guy to work with Tebow on throwing mechanics, and will install pro style sets. I think he's genuinely concerned about getting Tebow into the first round (I mean, the kid, if anybody, deserves it if he's capable - he's a good kid, and a hell of a football player, and I'd never count out anybody with that much physical talent and drive).

Coogs
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't count out Jevon Snead.

The only true pro-style QB of the group. If he has a decent senior season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go mid-late 1st round.

I was watching something the other day on Snead. May have been Total Access, but I am not positive on that. They were saying Snead may have a shot at being the #1 overall pick in next years draft.

He definately sounds like someone to keep an eye on the fall.

bdeg
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm with you on spikes. But I'll wait and see what Cottam's got before I put Gresham in my top 10. Same goes for a RT in the 2nd. If they thought enough of Brown to take him in the 5th they must think there's a chance he can eventually play the spot, and his size gives him a lot of upside. If after a year they think he's not improving enough, maybe.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Tebow is going in the first round. Bank on it.

Especially considering that Urban brought in a pro style guy to work with Tebow on throwing mechanics, and will install pro style sets. I think he's genuinely concerned about getting Tebow into the first round (I mean, the kid, if anybody, deserves it if he's capable - he's a good kid, and a hell of a football player, and I'd never count out anybody with that much physical talent and drive).

0 percent chance.

Jump pass, FTW.

ArrowheadMagic
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Spikes takes too many plays off. no thanks....

Chiefshrink
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
2010 draft?

Please, God, make it stop.

Hey, Mayock already has his first mock 10 for next yrROFL

Chiefshrink
05-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Keep this in mind, that there is a very strong chance that Denver and KC will be picking very close together in next yr's draft. Why? Because remember Denver traded away there first rd pick(2010) to Philly and Denver only has Chicago's first rd pick of 2010(Cutler trade).

What McDaniels has done to the Broncs is disasterous(if you are a Broncs fan) and beautiful(if you are a Chiefs fan-Me). I see the Chiefs winning at least 5 and maybe 7 games at the most and Denver will win 3 at the most IMO with this year's schedule for both teams.

Trading away that 1st rd pick will not only haunt them but it is also known that Bowlen did not want to pay for 2 1st rd picks in 2010 in an uncapped yr. Might have been smart but when you have as many holes as Denver does what a way to have bolstered your D up with 2 1st rd picks in the top 12. Remains to be seen.

I see the Chiefs and Bears having similiar records by year's end and look for the Chiefs and Broncs to picking within 1-3 slots from each other((8-12)competing for that NT IF our experiment doesn't work out which it probably won't and you know Denver doesn't have a NT either.

Denver either takes a LB or NT and Chiefs will either take a NT or LB IMO since both do not have all the pieces yet and both will run a hybrid 3/4 this season. Look for the NT/LB to be the competing position because Josh probably won't take a QB in the first rd(Patriot Way). Will be interesting to see the the possible moving up or down in the 1st rd next yr to compete for that NT or LB.

Reaper16
05-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Keep this in mind, that there is a very strong chance that Denver and KC will be picking very close together in next yr's draft. Why? Because remember Denver traded away there first rd pick(2010) to Philly and Denver only has Chicago's first rd pick of 2010(Cutler trade).

What McDaniels has done to the Broncs is disasterous(if you are a Broncs fan) and beautiful(if you are a Chiefs fan-Me). I see the Chiefs winning at least 5 and maybe 7 games at the most and Denver will win 3 at the most IMO with this year's schedule for both teams.

Trading away that 1st rd pick will not only haunt them but it is also known that Bowlen did not want to pay for 2 1st rd picks in 2010 in an uncapped yr. Might have been smart but when you have as many holes as Denver does what a way to have bolstered your D up with 2 1st rd picks in the top 12. Remains to be seen.

I see the Chiefs and Bears having similiar records by year's end and look for the Chiefs and Broncs to picking within 1-3 slots from each other((8-12)competing for that NT IF our experiment doesn't work out which it probably won't and you know Denver doesn't have a NT either.

Denver either takes a LB or NT and Chiefs will either take a NT or LB IMO since both do not have all the pieces yet and both will run a hybrid 3/4 this season. Look for the NT/LB to be the competing position because Josh probably won't take a QB in the first rd(Patriot Way). Will be interesting to see the the possible moving up or down in the 1st rd next yr to compete for that NT or LB.
Since when did WorldNetDaily start publishing football articles?

Kyle DeLexus
05-10-2009, 04:54 PM

I believe the Bears will win more than 5 or 7 for sure. I think we will win 4 or 5. I don't expect us to be picking close at all actually.

kansastiger
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm an LSU fan, and the only logical selection for the DL with a 3-4 scheme that you'll find coming from the Tigers is Al Woods. He's a big space filler, but he has the same problems with nagging injuries as Dorsey. I played against Dorsey in high school, and he's been bothered by injuries since his senior season. I will tell you this, you'd be hard pressed to find a guy that is as humble and hard-working as Dorsey.

Anyway, if you're wondering who the next player from LSU that the Chiefs may take, or the guy that may prove to be the most beneficial from LSU, Richard Dickson. TE who has great hands, gets open, makes catches in traffic, and he's hard-nosed. He'll probably go later in the draft, but if KC picks him up, he'd be a steal.

Offensive line, Ciron Black is the obvious frontrunner from LSU. I wouldn't expect him to take over at LT as soon as he gets out of college, but I could see him making the transition within his first few years.

DaKCMan AP
05-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Spikes takes too many plays off. no thanks....

ROFL

Chiefshrink
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I believe the Bears will win more than 5 or 7 for sure. I think we will win 4 or 5. I don't expect us to be picking close at all actually.

The Bears have no elite recievers and their O-line is average at best and on the downslide. The Bears won't be able to run as good and their will be more of an intense pass rush on Cutler with average recievers. Just because they have Cutler doesn't guarantee a 10win season or the playoffs. Oh and their D is aging fast and is not what it was which means Cutler will have to work with a much longer field like he did here in Denver.

Again Chiefs and Broncos will picking within 1-3 slots of each other.

MoreLemonPledge
05-13-2009, 04:55 AM
The Bears have no elite recievers and their O-line is average at best and on the downslide. The Bears won't be able to run as good and their will be more of an intense pass rush on Cutler with average recievers. Just because they have Cutler doesn't guarantee a 10win season or the playoffs. Oh and their D is aging fast and is not what it was which means Cutler will have to work with a much longer field like he did here in Denver.

Again Chiefs and Broncos will picking within 1-3 slots of each other.

I agree that the Bears D is getting old, but their running game will be fine. Even without good receivers, just having Cutler will make them respect the passing game, opening up draw plays (or at least that works on Madden).

Mecca
05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
You all had a prospect debate without me? I'm shocked and appalled.

Kyle DeLexus
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
You all had a prospect debate without me? I'm shocked and appalled.

It wasn't as good.

KCrockaholic
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
How may we live on???

Mecca
05-15-2009, 11:32 PM
What did I miss, please tell me there was no McCoy pimping.

Kyle DeLexus
05-16-2009, 12:07 AM
What did I miss, please tell me there was no McCoy pimping.

Someone did say that this years QB class is one of the best in a long time. So I'm guessing he liked him some McCoy. I can't remember what thread it was in.

Mecca
05-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Someone did say that this years QB class is one of the best in a long time. So I'm guessing he liked him some McCoy. I can't remember what thread it was in.

That's rather sad.

chiefs1111
05-16-2009, 01:02 AM
That's rather sad.

But Sam Bradford is awesome!

Mecca
05-16-2009, 01:07 AM
But Sam Bradford is awesome!

I will just never like him as a prospect I don't see it.

chiefs1111
05-16-2009, 01:10 AM
What about the kid from Ole Miss??? Snead I think is his name...

Mecca
05-16-2009, 01:26 AM
What about the kid from Ole Miss??? Snead I think is his name...

I dunno it's a tough call, he's athletic and everything but he's playing for Houston Nutt which I think is a bit of an issue and he's going to have to make strides in his accuracy and completion percentage.

Some people will try to compare it to this year but I don't see that. Snead has to show improvement like Stafford did, Stafford was on everyone's radar like Snead is now, but he's not as gifted as Stafford.

If you start rolling Bradford and McCoy are well known but have serious questions if you start looking for a Sanchez there isn't one.

Chiefnj2
05-16-2009, 08:38 AM
if you start looking for a Sanchez there isn't one.

Sanchez wasn't Sanchez at this point last year. He had only started 3-4 games.

Mecca
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
That's not what I meant...everyone was aware of him and that he was a potential high pick just most people didn't assume he would come out.

If you look for another one of those guys, there isn't one this year, that's what makes it different there isn't anyone to change the game.

Kyle DeLexus
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah I hope this Cassel thing works out.

Halfcan
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
hopefully the 2010 draft won't suck as bad as this one did

KCrockaholic
05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I dont think we need to worry about next year's draft class sucking. Even if it was seniors only for next year, it will be better than this years juniors and seniors.

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I dont think we need to worry about next year's draft class sucking. Even if it was seniors only for next year, it will be better than this years juniors and seniors.

Who?

Mecca
05-18-2009, 12:17 AM
I think that comment is a bit overdone most of the top guys for next year are underclassmen.

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I think that comment is a bit overdone most of the top guys for next year are underclassmen.

Well, I just checked and that guy is 18.

I'd like for him to speak for himself, especially since he tried to pass himself off as a "mockspert" this past draft season.

Speak up, KCRH.

Frankie
05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I dunno it's a tough call, he's athletic and everything but he's playing for Houston Nutt which I think is a bit of an issue and he's going to have to make strides in his accuracy and completion percentage.

Some people will try to compare it to this year but I don't see that. Snead has to show improvement like Stafford did, Stafford was on everyone's radar like Snead is now, but he's not as gifted as Stafford.

Is he related to old Norm Snead who was the Eagles QB in the late 60s/Early 70s?

KCrockaholic
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I just checked and that guy is 18.

I'd like for him to speak for himself, especially since he tried to pass himself off as a "mockspert" this past draft season.

Speak up, KCRH.

Im not going to get into details right now about next years draft class. But I will stand by my statement above, and will further elaborate on it when we get closer to January. Im not trying to ditch your question, I just dont want to answer it right now. Just give me a few months and ask me again during football season.

DaKCMan AP
08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
The sack master: Florida DE Carlos Dunlap's impressive stats should catch eyes

By Jeremy Fowler
Sentinel Staff Writer

GAINESVILLE — The Gators Sack Laboratory might have produced its most powerful model yet.

Not a hybrid, but 290 pounds of quarterback apprehension.

Defensive end Carlos Dunlap is the kind of player scouts fall in love with and opposing coaches plan around.

His athleticism could inspire Under Armour ads. His imposing 6-foot-6 figure makes the Gators' former "Freak," Jevon Kearse, look like a Catholic school linebacker.

His go-go-gadget arms produced 9.5 sacks and a Bowl Championship Series title game defensive MVP award last season.

Teammates Tim Tebow and Brandon Spikes get most of the publicity, but Dunlap might find the most love from the NFL draft as a major threat to leave school early.

Rob Rang, director of NFLdraftscout.com, said Dunlap has the potential of a top-10 pick. Ole Miss' Greg Hardy and Northwestern's Corey Wootton are ahead of Dunlap as defensive end prospects, Rang said, but that's partly because those two seniors have a larger body of work.

"He's got many qualities NFL teams want from an end," Rang said. "He possesses a unique combination of size and the ability to chase down backs 5-10 yards downfield. If he shows he can handle the double teams he'll see this year, expect him to get a lot of attention."

And if he puts together a perfect season, he might break Florida's single-season sack record of 13 set by Alex Brown in 1999.

"Of course I want to try to go for that," Dunlap said. "After last year, they are going to be keying in on me."

This sack master relies on five factors for an efficient pass rush.

1. Arms
Dunlap has a wingspan of more than 7 feet, enabling him to pluck quarterbacks from the air mid-stride and keep offensive tackles at a distance without getting pushed off the ball.

Gators offensive guard Mike Pouncey knows this firsthand every time he goes against Dunlap in practice.

"He's so long — long and powerful," Pouncey said. "He's just a great pass rusher, the best one on our team at it."

Linemen will try to jam Dunlap this season, so he must use his arms as leverage to get free.

2. Strength
Dunlap's strength is more organic than manufactured, neither chiseled nor sloppy.

Just massive.

"He could pick up a car that's overturned," Gators strength coach Mickey Marotti said. "If he's mad enough."

On a sack on Arkansas' Casey Dick last year, Dunlap moved a double team three yards backward before turning right to chase down his prey.

Marotti said Dunlap rivals defensive tackle Troy Epps for the most pure strength on the team, but he needs to work on his definition.

3. Anger/speed
When Dunlap smells a sack, he "zones out" from the crowd and hears nothing but the quarterback's footsteps, he said.

He's looking to make the kind of game-changing hit that will fluster an offense.

Teammates say Dunlap is at his best when provoked or highly motivated — or even a little on edge.

"It's like he has a button on and off," defensive tackle Jaye Howard said. "When he wants to go, it's over. No one can stop him. And he's been going all summer."

Rang said Dunlap appears fast for his size and wouldn't be surprised if he ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.7-second range or below. Howard says Dunlap runs about a 4.5. Dunlap will need his speed to avoid double teams and rehearse his post-sack routine.

"The first thing you do after you hit him is you're looking down at him," Dunlap said. "Just breathe out."

4. Football intelligence
Sacking isn't just instinctual for Dunlap, who studies ways to create mismatches.

Dunlap lines up at different spots on the line, depending on the defensive package, and every play requires at least a two-step thought process.

"If I make a spin move, I want to have a counter move for it," Dunlap said. "So I can set up the spin move."

And if he's double-teamed?

"Don't swim on a double team," Dunlap said.

One of Dunlap's favorites includes a fake inside to force a double team from the weakside, then darting to the outside and leaving both blockers hanging.

5. Improved work ethic
Dunlap was known as lazy through most of his first two years, but coaches say he's putting in the necessary work while embracing the national spotlight.

"[Effort] was minimal most of the time, but now it's pretty much max most of the time," Coach Urban Meyer said. "He's really much improved. A different player."

Dunlap's epiphany came after realizing the game was no longer easy like high school. Ever since he's improved weight-lifting habits and increased time teaching younger players his tricks.

"I don't even remember 9.5 sacks," Dunlap said about last year. "I have six sacks that I remember I missed."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/orl-sportsuf-dunlap-sacks-18081809aug18,0,462250.story

orangeuawitch2
08-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Eric Berry rocks, but hope TN does not have to give him up too soon

Mr. Arrowhead
08-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Dez Bryant anyone?

Mecca
08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm not a big fan of Dez Bryant...

Sam Hall
08-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Eric Berry is probably the least controversial prospect on the Chiefs radar. Terrence Cody and Sergio Kindle will have a lot of bust potential.

Saccopoo
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
After the first three preseason games, I'm convinced that it's the defense that needs to be addressed (again) with the next first round pick, particularly the defensive line. (And it hurts to say that seeing as we've spent high round picks on that area the past four years.)

I think that there is a lot more high end talent (potentially) in this coming draft, depending upon guys like Berry, Gerald McCoy, etc. But it is really top heavy and deep into the first round. I just don't know how the Chiefs go in the next draft. A guy like Dunlap would be tough to pass, depending upon how Dorsey ends up playing DE this season. If Dorsey has a decent season, is that a potential trade to a 4-3 team and then looking at a guy like Carlos in the draft knowing that you've got Magee there as well?

Same thing with Suh or Cody. (I like Suh because he just seems to go after it every single play. I've only seen a handful of Nebraska games the past two years, but he's the best guy on the field in those games I've seen. Mecca thinks he can play a NT in a 3-4, and if that's the case, he'd be my choice over Cody. More athletic, apparently has a high revving motor, etc.)

Titty Meat
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Suh is a d-end in a 3-4. I like the center from Penn State though he's only a junoir. I wouldn't draft him with the 1st round pick unless the Chiefs pick toward the end of the first round draft.

FireAllTheBastids
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Eric Berry.

End. Of. Story.

LOLATKC
09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Berry!