PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you say "God Bless You" to someone who sneezes?

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't.

In New Jersey, people will hear someone sneeze in an entirely different room and say it. Why? No one in Iowa does that.

Poll to come. Sorry if repost.

BigCatDaddy
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I say "You're soooooo good lookin" when someone sneezes.

MikeMaslowski
I say a little hybrid.... it sounds more like "Bleshew"...

Donger
It's to keep the demons you just snorted out from re-entering your body. I thought that was common knowledge.

unothadeal
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I say a little hybrid.... it sounds more like "Bleshew"...

That's the sound I make when I sneeze. So you should say "Bleshew, too."

KC Dan
04-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I say "Your soooooo Good Lookin" when someone sneezes.Excellent Seinfeld quote usage.

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I say "Your soooooo Good Lookin" when someone sneezes.

beat me to it :clap:

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
It's to keep the demons you just snorted out from re-entering your body. I thought that was common knowledge.

I thought it was because they used to think your heart stopped when you sneezed?...

Fish
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Sneeze on Monday for health,
Sneeze on Tuesday for wealth,
Sneeze on Wednesday for a letter,
Sneeze on Thursday for something better,
Sneeze on Friday for sorrow,
Sneeze on Saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow,
Sneeze on Sunday, safety seek.

Donger
04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought it was because they used to think your heart stopped when you sneezed?...

It seems there are a variety of possible origins:

Several possible origins are commonly given. The practice of blessing a sneeze, dating as far back as at least 77 AD, however, is far older than most specific explanations can account for.[1]

A legend holds that it was believed that the heart stops when you sneeze, and the phrase "bless you" is meant to ensure the return of life or to encourage your heart to continue beating.[2][3][1]

One explanation holds that the custom originally began as an actual blessing. Gregory I became Pope in 590 as an outbreak of the bubonic plague was reaching Rome. In hopes of fighting off the disease, he ordered unending prayer and parades of chanters through the streets. At the time, sneezing was thought to be an early symptom of the plague. The blessing ("God bless you!") became a common effort to halt the disease.[3]

A variant of the Pope Gregory I story places it with Pope Gregory VII, then tells the common (though untrue) story of "Ring Around the Rosey" being connected to the same plague.[4]

Another version says that people used to believe that your soul can be thrown from your body when you sneeze,[1] that sneezing otherwise opened your body to invasion by the Devil[3] or evil spirits,[2] or that sneezing was your body's effort to force out an invading evil spirit.[1] Thus, "bless you" or "God bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil.

Alternatively, it may be possible that the phrase began simply as a response for an event that was not well understood at the time.[1]

Another belief is that people used to see sneezing as a sign that God would answer your prayers[4] or an omen of good fortune or good luck.[1] In this case, "Bless you" would be in recognition of that luck.

Tibetan Buddhists believe a sneeze (like meditation, falling asleep, preparing to die) can provide a moment of "clear consciousness," when people are opened to greater understanding.[5]

Some believe that sneezing is the leading cause of the common cold. By saying, "Bless you", your cold will go away.

Demonpenz
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
if you don't you have a greater risk for swine flu

Fish
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM

That's sort of a myth...

It actually started in Europe during the time of the plague.... and when you sneezed, you were supposedly expelling the soul(or evil demons/plague), and saying "God bless you" was a way of "saving" you from the plague.

MikeMaslowski
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
That's the sound I make when I sneeze. So you should say "Bleshew, too."

Next time we hang out I will remember to say it....:thumb:

rep on the avatar....those were the days

Gonzo
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
When you sneeze, god kicks a puppy. fyi
Posted via Mobile Device

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
That's sort of a myth...

It actually started in Europe during the time of the plague.... and when you sneezed, you were supposedly expelling the soul(or evil demons/plague), and saying "God bless you" was a way of "saving" you from the plague.

Wiki says the phrase was "Bless you" and I could totally see the little pagan nudist druids saying that before the Christian God was invented.

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Wiki says the phrase was "Bless you" and I could totally see the little pagan nudist druids saying that before the Christian God was invented.

Oops. Sorry Christians, I meant "before the Christian God revealed himself."

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

Mmmmmm.

Little pagen nudist druids.

The Original Spinners.

Buck
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Just Bless You.

Ari Chi3fs
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I say " Fuh Que"

Donger
04-28-2009, 01:47 PM

That reminds me. I need to pick up my goat-skin leggings from the dry cleaners and deal with the usual banality.

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
That reminds me. I need to pick up my goat-skin leggings from the dry cleaners and deal with the usual banality.

I prefer the Celts painting themselves blue and running naked into battle.

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Only way it could be better is if they were chanting USA USA USA at the same time.

Donger
04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I prefer the Celts painting themselves blue and running naked into battle.

I'll send you a picture.

tooge
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I prefer to say "why dont you take your swine flu carrying ass somewhere private to do that you gross bastard"

Jilly
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I say it, because I like to convert people. I see it as an opportunity to take my Christian faith and impose it on another human being at a time of weakness.

Katipan
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I say it, because I like to convert people. I see it as an opportunity to take my Christian faith and impose it on another human being at a time of weakness.

Thats fine as long as you're naked and blue.

Buzz
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Gesundheit! German or something...

MikeMaslowski
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

I heard that when men have orgasms they lose their memory for a split second. And I'm not kidding, someone google it for me...I'm lazy.

MikeMaslowski
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/712604-watchmen_man6_super.jpgThats fine as long as you're naked and blue.

here, he should do

MikeMaslowski
shit, can i get in trouble for that one?

HemiEd
No, but I do sneeze probably more than most. Everyone, I mean everyone but me up here in Chicagoland says it. Perfect strangers in a store, it doesn't matter.

Jilly
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Thats fine as long as you're naked and blue.

why is it when I talk about God you always want me to be naked?

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I heard it was your soul trying to escape. God bless you prevents it.

Either way, it's ****ing stupid. I love it when you get a dirty look from somebody who sneezed in your vicinity because you didn't say it.

JOhn
04-28-2009, 02:04 PM

This conversation is worthless without pics :harumph:

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
shit, can i get in trouble for that one?

What's wrong with it?

edit: OH MY GOD, NOW I SEE. MY EYES!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/indianajones/images/thumb/e/e2/Death_by_face_melting.jpg/180px-Death_by_face_melting.jpg

Katipan
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Most of the classical religious art I've seen is populated with naked nymphs, or angels!

Jilly
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Most of the classical religious art I've seen is populated with naked nymphs, or angels!

I probably fit that mold....