PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto I've got a dog problem...

donkhater
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
..that I hope some of you may be able to give advice on.

My family adopted a dog from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago. Louis is a Golden Retriever/Labrador mix. Very handsome dog. Takes commands well from the wife and I and is pretty laid back. Doesn't take off when we let him off his leash outside (unlike our beagle used to) and doesn't take to barking a lot either.

The problem...

He's beginning to get testy with our kids (ages 10, 8 and 5). If either of them try to pet him while lying down or even touch him when he doesn't expected it, he either nips or all out bites them. My wife and I, of course, don't want a dog that behaves that way to our kids, but before he started doing this, he was about as perfect a dog we could hope for.

One thing...The first week and a half we had him he had a pretty bad cold. You could tell he wasn't very energetic. But this behavior has kind of come around since he's felt better.

Should we return the dog and look some more, or is there a way to train him? My wife and I suspect that he was previously owned by two adults (he's 6) and doesn't view the kids as his superiors. Is there anything to this? Can it be remedied?

Cannibal
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
That's too bad. I hope you can find a way to train him. I am pulling for him so he doesn't end up in the oven.

Donger
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Is he being aggressive or is he playing? Either way, he's viewing the kids as pack mates not pack leaders. Our puppy has been showing the same tendency, but I had both of them gently but forcefully lay our pup on his side and held him down until he submitted. Repeat until pup gets he is not in command, ever, even with the kids.

Buck
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
First in w/ Antifreeze.

In all seriousness, if it continues, get a new dog.

alnorth
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
This one's easy. Antifreeze should fix everything.

RustShack
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
The kids shouldn't mess with him after a few more bites.

Iowanian
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a dog problem too. My neighbors have an annoying basset hound that has been locked outside my house and has barked/beyed/howled all day the past 2 days and all night. tonight.....might be the end of that dog.

I'm looking for a solution that won't ignite new fighting in that feud...but....

KC native
04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a strict rule about owning dogs that bite people and that's to put them to sleep (done it before and will do it again if necessary). If you can't get this corrected immediately the dog needs to go. Just think how you would feel if the dog did serious damage to your kids?

Bill Lundberg
donkhater - I think you have to return the dog or take the dog to some obedience classes where the kids are participants.

Iowanian - Antifreeze is the perfect solution to your problem.

Buehler445
I have a dog problem too. My neighbors have an annoying basset hound that has been locked outside my house and has barked/beyed/howled all day the past 2 days and all night. tonight.....might be the end of that dog.

I'm looking for a solution that won't ignite new fighting in that feud...but....

THAT one is antifreeze. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
You have two options... pay a few hundred bucks to have him properly trained, or find him a new home. At 6, I don't know if he's at the point of truly being trained to stop nipping at the kids.

stlchiefs
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

My family adopted a dog from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago. Louis is a Golden Retriever/Labrador mix. Very handsome dog. Takes commands well from the wife and I and is pretty laid back. Doesn't take off when we let him off his leash outside (unlike our beagle used to) and doesn't take to barking a lot either.

The problem...

He's beginning to get testy with our kids (ages 10, 8 and 5). If either of them try to pet him while lying down or even touch him when he doesn't expected it, he either nips or all out bites them. My wife and I, of course, don't want a dog that behaves that way to our kids, but before he started doing this, he was about as perfect a dog we could hope for.

One thing...The first week and a half we had him he had a pretty bad cold. You could tell he wasn't very energetic. But this behavior has kind of come around since he's felt better.

Should we return the dog and look some more, or is there a way to train him? My wife and I suspect that he was previously owned by two adults (he's 6) and doesn't view the kids as his superiors. Is there anything to this? Can it be remedied?

If he takes commands well he should know "No" or the sound of a loud clap, etc. means he's doing something wrong. Try having the kids approach him and you be ready to scold. You may also try the same approach with having the kids scold when he nips at them. If he's trained like you explained he doesn't want to hear no or a loud clap, etc.

I hope this works, both for you and the dogs sake.

LaChapelle
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Getting rid of the kids will save more money in the long run. Just a thought.

tonyetony
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
You have to be the alpha male and lay down the law of the pack and make sure you mean it. You need to be dominant and forceful without hurting him although there are times when you should grab him and get his attention. Have the kids help give commands with you and let them reward him telling him good boy while petting him. Make sure he gets plenty of exercise and when he's a little tired he'll submit much easier.

donkhater
04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Is he being aggressive or is he playing? Either way, he's viewing the kids as pack mates not pack leaders. Our puppy has been showing the same tendency, but I had both of them gently but forcefully lay our pup on his side and held him down until he submitted. Repeat until pup gets he is not in command, ever, even with the kids.

Yeah, Louis is a full grown dog, though. We've read that using that tactic on a full grown dog may make him inclined to start picking on the "weakest of the pack".

Donger
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Louis is a full grown dog, though. We've read that using that tactic on a full grown dog may make him inclined to start picking on the "weakest of the pack".

He already is picking on what he sees as the weakest of the pack. Your kids need to make him submit, period. Do it while you are in the room, of course, but don't let the kids give up until he is calm and submissive.

58-4ever
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about some chick you picked up at a bar.

alnorth
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Cats are so much easier, and they dont bring $5 million PI lawsuits down on your head for eating some bratty neighbor kid who got bored.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a strict rule about owning dogs that bite people and that's to put them to sleep (done it before and will do it again if necessary). If you can't get this corrected immediately the dog needs to go. Just think how you would feel if the dog did serious damage to your kids?

Dogs can almost always be trained. This seems like oversimplification. Obviously, the kids safety comes first, but it isn't either or. Especially if the dog is otherwise well behaved. From what I've read Donger's suggestion sounds best to me, but I'd consult a professional.

ROYC75
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
A golden retriever / lab takes commands well, as long as the master gives them. You should be able to give the command, let the kids repeat it , over and over until the dog understands. The lab in him wants to play, kids seem small enough to be playmates, you can do this, but it will take some time for the kids to show their superiority over him.

Bwana
04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

I had the same thing happen, only it went on for months. The last straw was when the thing started howling at two in the morning for the third night in a row. I said fug it, got up and the useless howling sob and I went out for a nice long one way road trip out to the hills.

Problem solved

kstater
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Sounds like good practice for the .22

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Cats are so much easier, and they dont bring $5 million PI lawsuits down on your head for eating some bratty neighbor kid who got bored.

ROFL

That is good stuff!

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like good practice for the .22

.22 will wound him badly.

Either use a deer rifle and end it, or a BB gun and send him screeching.

bevischief
04-28-2009, 05:43 PM

anti freeze.

They make collars that shoot a spray in the dog"s face when they bark.

kstater
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
.22 will wound him badly.

Either use a deer rifle and end it, or a BB gun and send him screeching.

That's why I said practice. As I'm sure Iowanian knows, a well placed .22 shot will kill a dog.

Bwana
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
That's why I said practice. As I'm sure Iowanian knows, a well placed .22 shot will kill a dog.

Or a deer........

bevischief
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I remember reading a post about a neighbor's bright light in their yard at all hours of the night it was on...

kstater
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Or a deer........

Yes, but I'm not a good enough shot to trust myself to take that shot.

bogey
04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Send him back. At this age, if he's not kid friendly, he's a danger, especially to your 5 year old. Tell the humane society that he's not kid friendly and hopefully they'll give him to childless adults.

RJ
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Send him back. At this age, if he's not kid friendly, he's a danger, especially to your 5 year old. Tell the humane society that he's not kid friendly and hopefully they'll give him to childless adults.

I agree with this.

And the longer you wait, the harder it will be to do.

Gravedigger
04-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Does the dog have any toys or anything that it might be protecting? By taking that away it might help. Anything could be it such as a toy a blanket really anything.

bogey
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
For future reference. Teach your kids to stay out of any dogs face.

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Geez...

I didn't have my contact lenses in.

I was thinking someone had a drug problem...

ROFL

Bill Lundberg
04-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Yep, that's probably what landed him there in the first place.

Infidel Goat
04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
He already is picking on what he sees as the weakest of the pack. Your kids need to make him submit, period. Do it while you are in the room, of course, but don't let the kids give up until he is calm and submissive.

Donger has the best answer on this thread.

I've got a 65 pound dog that most grown men wouldn't want to take on. He knows that my daughters are his boss, though. It shouldn't take much training or time, but it will take some.

Get to work on it yesterday...

RJ
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Geez...

I didn't have my contact lenses in.

I was thinking someone had a drug problem...

ROFL

Same here. Every time I look at it.

Pioli Zombie
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
By all means wait for him to chew one of your kids faces off. Because, you know, the dog comes first.

Or do what they do at KU. Fuck it.
Posted via Mobile Device

donkhater
04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
By all means wait for him to chew one of your kids faces off. Because, you know, the dog comes first.

Or do what they do at KU. **** it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geez, this is just something that has happened the last couple of days. He lets them pet him and he even licks their faces and hands. It's just unexpected contact that seems to set him off.

Predarat
04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Feed it a bunch of raw meat, make it real mean and send it to Marty Shook of Cumberland, Maryland.

bevischief
04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I heard Micheal Vick was opening a dog training academy as part of his rehab and he was looking for a place in Leawood...

bevischief
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM

The problem...

The question is what did the kids do to the dog? Most dogs don't act that without something starting it.

KCCHIEFS27
04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/contact/index.php

Go there and see if you can get some TV time.

RJ
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I just hope donkhater is able to get off dogs.

aturnis
04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Honestly, I would take him back and tell them why. Then, if they train him, consider picking him back up.

stumppy
04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Get rid of the kids.

Hog Farmer
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
I've found that ALL animals will become great companions if you will just masturbate them regularly !

Iowanian
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Should I so choose, I'm probably about a half step behind bwana in "how" to make it go away ideas....Its solving the problem when I know I'll get the blame because the guy is already an asshole.

Bloody sponge, antifreeze, any number of longgun or shortgun solutions are available. I'm not quite there yet for a couple of reasons.

PatsFanDan
04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
My lab growled at and took an aggressive position with my daughter once.....once.....when she was just a toddler, maybe a year old. It happened on a Friday night after a few beers. Not sure why it never happened again but my tackling the dog and almost putting her face thru the hardwood floor might have had something to do with it.

And let me just say I have two dogs....great dogs....a lab and a lab mix. I don't beat my dogs. This was a one time event that just freaked me out because of all the stories you hear and read about. My lab has been an absolute angel with the kids since that incident.

My daughter is now 4.5 and my son is about 18 months. He lays on the dogs and chases them on occasion not really understanding the consequences. The dogs seem to understand though. It's almost like the dogs had to get used to the fact that they were no longer the babies in the house. They have adapted well but it took some time. When they kids were really young, we kept them separated from the dogs for the most part.

Based on breed and age, I would say give the training thing a chance. But if the dog is actually biting the kids, that's never a good sign. Tough call but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

PastorMikH
04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
You have to be the alpha male and lay down the law of the pack and make sure you mean it. You need to be dominant and forceful without hurting him although there are times when you should grab him and get his attention. Have the kids help give commands with you and let them reward him telling him good boy while petting him. Make sure he gets plenty of exercise and when he's a little tired he'll submit much easier.

Be the alpha male - when he nips at the kids, go over, stand over him, start growling and take a whiz on him.

:shrug:(That's what the alpha dog does)

PastorMikH
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM

OK, have whichever kid just got nipped stand over him....

:)

PastorMikH
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Or a deer........

It sure helps hit that right spot though if you have a friend holding the light though when you shoot doesn't it?

PastorMikH
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, but I'm not a good enough shot to trust myself to take that shot.

Old man told me once, draw and x from his eyes to his ears, shoot the center of the x. Every dog I've had to shoot I've done like that, everyone of them dropped without ever knowing what hit them.

PastorMikH
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Should I so choose, I'm probably about a half step behind bwana in "how" to make it go away ideas....Its solving the problem when I know I'll get the blame because the guy is already an asshole.

Bloody sponge, antifreeze, any number of longgun or shortgun solutions are available. I'm not quite there yet for a couple of reasons.

Trap a rabbit in a box trap. Sneak over LATE at night and set him free - once he's free, let the rabbit out of the trap. Let him get lost chasing the rabbit.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
How old is the dog? There's the old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's not about teaching him to shake or roll over. But at some point, they have got their personality down, and it can be a hassle to change. Might not be worth it.

Smed1065
04-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Aim?

munkey
04-28-2009, 11:25 PM
http://blogg.passagen.se/guran75/resource/dog-whisperer-cesar-millan-300-032707.jpg

KC native
04-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Geez, this is just something that has happened the last couple of days. He lets them pet him and he even licks their faces and hands. It's just unexpected contact that seems to set him off.

It will only get worse (the reaction to unexpected contact may mean the dog is skittish which can lead to fear biting). The dog I had to put to sleep got worse as she got older. She was great with my kid (licked his face etc). But She snapped at my kid (unprovoked wifey was sitting right there and saw it all) but didn't break the skin and that combined with her other behavior problems getting worse got her put to sleep. I loved that dog but it was clear that it was going to get worse.

If you can give him back to the humane society then do that and make sure they know the dog is set off by unexpected contact. If you keep the dog you risk the one time one of the kids approaches the dog and the dog didn't expect it and you weren't around to stop it. I know it sounds kind of cold but there are thousands of dogs out there that would be a better fit for your family. IMO it's not worth the risk because the dog has shown the capacity to nip at your kids.

The alpha thing that donger suggested works for a lot of dogs but it doesn't eliminate the dog's instincts/genetics/etc. You may improve the behavior or even eliminate it however it's a huge risk (again with kids IMO it's not worth it)

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2009, 04:02 AM
http://j.photos.cx/thosearemyshoes-233.jpg

donkhater
04-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Well,

My wife decided to return the dog last night. The sooner the better if that was to be her decision. I can't really give her any input since I didn't witness what happened. She said she just didn't want to have a dog in which she felt uncomfortable when the kids were around it.

As for the training about the kids becoming more of an alpha male, it makes snese and my wife and I are aware of it, but we've also had a number of trainers say it doesn't work a good bit of the time with older dogs and Louis is already 6.

It a real shame, my wife is torn up about it. He really seemed to get along with the kids, it's just that the nipping that you sometimes get when you startle a dog was more aggressive from him.

Bwana
04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
It sure helps hit that right spot though if you have a friend holding the light though when you shoot doesn't it?

Awww, those were the days. Hold my beer and watch this! :doh!:

stlchiefs
04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Well,

My wife decided to return the dog last night. The sooner the better if that was to be her decision. I can't really give her any input since I didn't witness what happened. She said she just didn't want to have a dog in which she felt uncomfortable when the kids were around it.

As for the training about the kids becoming more of an alpha male, it makes snese and my wife and I are aware of it, but we've also had a number of trainers say it doesn't work a good bit of the time with older dogs and Louis is already 6.

It a real shame, my wife is torn up about it. He really seemed to get along with the kids, it's just that the nipping that you sometimes get when you startle a dog was more aggressive from him.

Fine decision. It's better to protect your kids if you didn't feel comfortable with them around the dog.

Comanche
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
http://blogg.passagen.se/guran75/resource/dog-whisperer-cesar-millan-300-032707.jpg

Exactly correct. PEOPLE need the training as well as the animals. Dogs are put down simply because of human ineptitude.

whatsmynameagain
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM

we may be neighbors, hahahaha. asshole that lives around the block lets his fucking basset hound out at about 8am saturday mornings so the fucker can sing to the neighborhood. i thought about pulling my car in front of their house with some prerecorded dog barking on my stereo and just blast the shit out of it....but a cop lives across the street from them........
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
04-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Have your kids beat the shit out of the dog.

Jenson71
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Well,

Get a puppy. Might be a little more expensive, you might have to travel half a day to get it, but it will be worth it.

Jilly
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Honestly? did you take him to the vet to find out if he might have had something wrong? Dogs usually react that way to aggressive behavior (and let's face it kids are not the most gentle creatures) if they have pain....but...well, either way the dog is now at the pound.

MOhillbilly
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Exactly correct. PEOPLE need the training as well as the animals. Dogs are put down simply because of human ineptitude.

sometimes the dogs are just latent biters.