PDA

View Full Version : Royals Whitlock: Royals need to sign Bonds

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1168353.html

It’s time the Royals invested in Bonds

This column is in no way an attempt to divert attention away from Zack Greinke’s bid for history tonight at Kauffman Stadium. It’s a plea to get Greinke and the Royals some help.

Barry Bonds should be wearing a Royals uniform this season. The game’s greatest hitter has yet to retire or be convicted of a crime. He’s been railroaded by the commissioner, a publicity-seeking federal prosecutor and the hypocritically self-righteous segment of the baseball media.

While virtually every other steroid cheater continues to play the game without incident or much backlash, America’s home-run king is being treated like a heavyweight champion with the audacity to conscientiously object to the Vietnam War.

Barry is serving the second year of what his critics hope is a lifetime banishment from the game that milked his home-run power when it made good business sense and discarded him when it needed a poster child for steroid abuse.

I wish the Royals had the courage to reinstate Bonds. He could help their anemic offense and potentially lift the Royals into the playoffs. Tuesday afternoon I milled around the Royals clubhouse asking players what they thought of Bonds and whether they’d have a problem playing with the all-time great.

Surprisingly, I couldn’t find a Bonds critic inside the clubhouse.

“I’d feel honored to play with him,” Royals catcher John Buck said. “You can’t take away what he’s done in the game.”

Billy Butler added: “I wouldn’t have a problem at all. I’d work with him. If he’d help our team win, I think it would be good for our team. Whatever is good for Kansas City.”

“I have no problem playing with anybody,” said outfielder José Guillen, who was briefly in trouble for suspected steroid use. “What is the problem with playing with Barry Bonds?”

Great question.

“It’s unfortunate he’s not playing,” Mike Jacobs said. “You hope it’s not some sort of collusion (by the owners). He’s no different from the other guys who were suspected of taking whatever. Obviously there’s something fishy with him not playing.”

I suspect the Royals aren’t the only major leaguers who think it’s ridiculous Bonds has been blackballed from the game. Greinke, Brian Bannister, Kyle Davies and Mark Teahen all told me they wouldn’t have an issue playing alongside the man who has been portrayed by the media as the worst teammate in professional sports.

“I’ve never experienced anything with him,” said Greinke, who will attempt tonight to complete his sixth straight start without surrendering an earned run. “I don’t know what he’s like. But as long as he’s not disruptive to the team, I probably wouldn’t have a problem.”

“I admired the way (Bonds) played the game,” Bannister said.

In 2007, Barry played in 126 games for the San Francisco Giants. He swatted 28 home runs, hit .276, recorded a league-leading .480 on-base percentage and 132 walks. Bonds was barry, barry good for a 42-year-old left fielder. He’s 44 now and will be 45 in July. He’s still in marvelous condition. He should be playing baseball.

“I bet you this,” Guillen told me. “Barry puts on a uniform and gets in the batter’s box, he will still make the pitcher scared.”

Teahen said: “He’s the best hitter in the game. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he could take a year off and still hit.”

“Look at him,” Buck said. “He still looks like a beast. I’m sure he still has an at-bat or two in him.”

Bannister added: “He always had the hand-eye coordination. He still has it.”

Even Royals Hall of Famer Frank White thinks Barry could still be a difference-maker.

“He’s worth three victories,” White said. “He’d certainly give your lineup credibility.”

Early during Tuesday’s game I chatted with Royals general manager Dayton Moore about Bonds, KC’s players reaction to Bonds and whether the Royals would consider signing Bonds.

“Where we are and what we’re trying to accomplish with this team,” Moore said, “we’re comfortable with the makeup of our team.”

Jacobs and Butler DH and play first base for the Royals. They’re young and under contract. The Royals already have a defensive liability in their outfield, José Guillen. Working Bonds into the lineup would be difficult and maybe even a little painful.

It would be worth it. Greinke is bidding for a nice piece of history tonight and the new K will be half full. That would not be the case with Bonds in uniform.

I asked Moore if Bonds’ baggage would prevent the Royals from signing the slugger.

“No,” he said. “Not for me.”

Can Bonds still be a productive player?

“I don’t know,” Moore said. “I can’t answer that.”

Moore did add that utility infielder Julio Franco played until age 48.

I could only find one man adamantly against my plan to bring Bonds to Kansas City.

“I don’t think you can sit out that long and still play,” former Royal Brian McRae told me. “He’s 45. His body is worn. He’s had the hip and elbow injuries. He popped his quad and hasn’t been working out much. I just don’t think he can still be effective.

“The Royals need to be a playoff team with the players they have.”

McRae is wrong. The Royals need to make a playoff push by any means necessary. And Barry Bonds needs to fail at least once before I believe he can’t play any more.

Just Passin' By
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Does Whitlock need a drug connection or something?

beavis
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Epic fail.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Bonds isn't a nice guy. KC says, "No."

WoodDraw
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Whitlock writing a controversial article to get attention? Say it ain't so.

I'd rather ride with the team we have than add a known cheater to our lineup. Why not just hand steroids out instead? The guy cheated, and he's been rewarded with unemployment. Let's not change that.

tk13
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe last year this would be something... but maybe I'm wrong. I'd probably agree more with Brian McRae. He's barely played the last three seasons. I don't think he'd suck, but it'd be a lot more like Michael Jordan with the Wizards.

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
This message has been deleted by Dante84. Reason: cant figure out how to add an image

I can teach you. Is the image in your computer, or on the web?

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM

I'd rather ride with the team we have than add a known cheater to our lineup. Why not just hand steroids out instead? The guy cheated, and he's been rewarded with unemployment. Let's not change that.

You don't think players currently on the roster have juiced?

KCrockaholic
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Bonds? Whitlock is this desperate for something to write about? Jesus.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Maybe last year... but maybe I'm wrong. I'd probably agree more with Brian McRae. I don't think he'd suck, but it'd be a lot more like Michael Jordan with the Wizards than Barry Bonds with the Giants.

At his age, I don't think it would be a seamless transition after so much time off.

But I can damn near guarantee that Bonds as a DH > Jacobs or Butler. Speaking strictly about this year only.

Psyko Tek
04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I think they should sign jeff george
he's got a ROCKET ARM AND HE'S ONLY WHAT 75

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
wtf is the point of this article, bonds is retired and no way he'll get on a team

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
No.

Smed1065
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
:eek:

KC_Connection
The Jays had Brad Wilkerson and Kevin Mench at DH all season last year, and they still won 87 games. With Bonds, they likely would have made the playoffs. They still didn't sign him, however.

It's pretty clear to me he's been black-balled out of baseball. The Royals won't do it, and neither will any other team in the majors for that reason. Not because he couldn't help somebody (although he hasn't played in well over a year now).

alnorth
I'm not really convinced Bonds wants to play baseball anymore. If he did, he would have kept himself in better shape this year.

If he was actually serious though, I'd sign him to a minor league contract and see if he can kill AAA pitchers. If he has a few great weeks to prove that he can actually play, bring him up.

Dante84
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I can teach you. Is the image in your computer, or on the web?

Both honestly, so what ever is easier.... what do I need to do?

and thanks by the way!

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
wtf is the point of this article, bonds is retired and no way he'll get on a team

Whitlock doesn't know a fucking thing about baseball. This is reported fact from when he had a radio show, and I'm sure he'd still admit as much to this day.

That said, these are the kinds of desperate articles that are generated from watching a still punch-less lineup. In that respect, I can't blame him.

For the record, I find the "anger" over Bonds to be hilarious.

KC_Connection
04-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Jose Guillen did the same thing Bonds did, and your GM gave him a massive contract. Let's not be all high and mighty here, they all used steroids.

Fruit Ninja
04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Bonds never retired. He said at the beg of the year, that he's in shape and if a team wnats him, he will think about it. Problem is/was no one really interested in paying him money if he was going to jail.

He was at the Dodgers/Giants game lastnight and they were saying he's in really good shape. Who knows.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm not really convinced Bonds wants to play baseball anymore. If he did, he would have kept himself in better shape this year.

If he was actually serious though, I'd sign him to a minor league contract and see if he can kill AAA pitchers. If he has a few great weeks to prove that he can actually play, bring him up.

For Bonds in all his juiced up glory, this could have been literally true.

Sick what supplemental drugs/whatever can do to an already uber-talented player.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Jose Guillen did the same thing Bonds did, and your GM gave him a massive contract. Let's not be all high and mighty here, they all used steroids.

Bonds is the easy target for all the angst and vitriol.

Whatever makes people feel better, I suppose.

You know what makes me feel better? Wins. And talented players. I don't give a fuck if they're nice guys, and if everyone is cheating, I want my guys to have access to the best pharmacies.

It's entertainment.

DaneMcCloud
I won't read this J-Whit shit because he's a fucking idiot.

Signing Bonds would be the biggest mistake of the Glass era (and there have been MANY).

They're building a young team and just don't need him around. It would be a major distraction and besides that, he's not one for mentoring.

I like Bonds but he's just not right for KC.

And Whitlock must be taking over for Teicher because his latest columns are amateurish at best.

alnorth
For Bonds in all his juiced up glory, this could have been literally true.

Sick what supplemental drugs/whatever can do to an already uber-talented player.

if he can take out a few top-tier prospects from other teams on the way, then he's worth something

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
This is a filler article, of course.

Bonds' baseball career is over, and everyone knows this to be the case.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
if he can take out a few top-tier prospects from other teams on the way, then he's worth something

Always the optimist. :)

WoodDraw
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM

I hated that deal too though.

alnorth
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I won't read this J-Whit shit because he's a ****ing idiot.

Signing Bonds would be the biggest mistake of the Glass era (and there have been MANY).

They're building a young team and just don't need him around. It would be a major distraction and besides that, he's not one for mentoring.

And Whitlock must be taking over for Teicher because his latest columns are amateurish at best.

I do not want to sign Bonds to an MLB contract for the kind of money he would likely want to play in KC, simply because I dont think he has it anymore, with his age, injuries, and lack of magic pills.

However, hypothetically speaking, if he was anything like the hitter he was a few years ago, I would sign him in a heartbeat. Our players arent fragile eggs that can crack in the wrong environment, and winning can do a lot to quiet any outcry.

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Both honestly, so what ever is easier.... what do I need to do?

and thanks by the way!

If the image is on the web:

Keep clicking on the image until you get nothing but the image in your browser window. Then copy the url (the final web address you come to). Next, post this:

insert.the.url.you.just.copied.here

That's the easiest way. Try it and see if it works. If not, I'll walk you through the way to get it from your hard drive.

And you're welcome, by the way. Not all Bronco followers are complete assholes. (Though I can certainly take pride in being one at times.)

KC_Connection
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM

You know what makes me feel better? Wins. And talented players. I don't give a **** if they're nice guys, and if everyone is cheating, I want my guys to have access to the best pharmacies.

It's entertainment.

Agreed. With all of this.

It became quite obvious that Selig black balled him last year, though, so this is really kind of a useless article by Whitlock.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I do not want to sign Bonds to an MLB contract for the kind of money he would likely want to play in KC, simply because I dont think he has it anymore, with his age, injuries, and lack of magic pills.

However, hypothetically speaking, if he was anything like the hitter he was a few years ago, I would sign him in a heartbeat. Our players arent fragile eggs that can crack in the wrong environment, and winning can do a lot to quiet any outcry.

SportsCenter every night and the regular lead on Baseball Tonight.

'06 Barry...compared to Buterball and Jacobs...ROFL

KC_Connection
04-28-2009, 11:53 PM

Even in Bonds' current state, I suspect he'd quite easily be the best hitter on the Royals. After all, he did have a 1.045 OPS in 2007. Even if his power is gone, his OBP would still be very high.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:54 PM
The only tangible benefit for this type of column is that it gets people talking and suggests that there is a little bit of public and media pressure on the Royals to get a product on the field to produce, especially in light of the pitching successes.

For too long there's been a disgustingly apathetic approach to baseball in KC, and if this culture permanently changes, that's a very good thing.

Aside from this, this column is thin toilet paper.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 11:55 PM
The only tangible benefit for this type of column is that it gets people talking and suggests that there is a little bit of public and media pressure on the Royals to get a product on the field to produce, especially in light of the pitching successes.

For too long there's been a disgustingly apathetic approach to baseball in KC, and if this culture permanently changes, that's a very good thing.

Aside from this, this column is thin toilet paper.

And in my college days, I used it as such.

No shit.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Even in Bonds' current state, I suspect he'd quite easily be the best hitter on the Royals.

I'd be shocked if this weren't true.

What's the counter-argument? Teahen > Bonds?

Yeah...ok.

Fruit Ninja
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
I won't read this J-Whit shit because he's a ****ing idiot.

I wouldnt say Bonds is not one for Mentoring. Just yesterday he was talking with the Giants hitters about hitting and giving them some tips. Word has it, it was for about an hour helping their young guys.

I dont really care if BOnds goes to KC or not. Just saying. Yeah, i had to watch the Giants/ Dodgers feed from San Fran tonight. No other choice.

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2009, 12:04 AM
jesus in a half-shell

Valiant
04-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Maybe last year this would be something... but maybe I'm wrong. I'd probably agree more with Brian McRae. He's barely played the last three seasons. I don't think he'd suck, but it'd be a lot more like Michael Jordan with the Wizards.

Really?? I think Bonds would be great as DH and sub outfielder.. Would he be allstar??? No... But I think he could still take walks and give someone else better pitches to swing at..

Bottom Line is he would be an improvement.. And in all honesty I want to see the Royals make a push this year..

Hell sign him to minimum and if he explodes good to both of us.. He will be able to sign a better contract elsewhere and we see a few more wins..

BigRock
04-29-2009, 12:37 AM
jesus in a half-shell

TURTLE POWER

alnorth
04-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Even in Bonds' current state, I suspect he'd quite easily be the best hitter on the Royals. After all, he did have a 1.045 OPS in 2007. Even if his power is gone, his OBP would still be very high.

His OBP would have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the crazy number of IBB and the walks he got which were all-but-intentional. If he loses his power, I think he'd start to see a lot more strikes.

I'm not totally convinced that he is washed-up either, so I'd be willing to give him a chance if he wanted to play. I'm just not willing to gamble on a big multi-million dollar contract without some kind of proof that his popped quad and long vacation didnt screw up his swing.

ClevelandBronco
04-29-2009, 12:42 AM
It appears as if our friend Dante84 has gone to sleep.

It's a good idea.

Short Leash Hootie
04-29-2009, 12:42 AM

Michael Jordan with the Wizards was pretty damn good, just so you know..

SPchief
04-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Hell sign him to minimum and if he explodes good to both of us.. He will be able to sign a better contract elsewhere and we see a few more wins..

IIRC he was offered the minumum and refused

Raised On Riots
04-29-2009, 01:51 AM

You know what makes me feel better? Wins. And talented players. I don't give a fuck if they're nice guys, and if everyone is cheating, I want my guys to have access to the best pharmacies.

It's entertainment.

I won't read this J-Whit shit because he's a fucking idiot.

Your both right in your own way; there'd have to be a middle ground struck to make it all work. But I don't think Bonds would "take away" from Zack; they've both got their jobs to do, and they both know what those jobs are.
I know for a fact that serious baseball fans in the inner-city LOVE Bonds and would support the move whole-heartedly.
It's a tough call, but a great pitcher and slammin' hitter are hardly the recepie for disaster on a professional baseball team, yes?

KC_Connection
04-29-2009, 02:10 AM
His OBP would have to be taken with a grain of salt because of the crazy number of IBB and the walks he got which were all-but-intentional. If he loses his power, I think he'd start to see a lot more strikes.

I'm not totally convinced that he is washed-up either, so I'd be willing to give him a chance if he wanted to play. I'm just not willing to gamble on a big multi-million dollar contract without some kind of proof that his popped quad and long vacation didnt screw up his swing.

You do realize that Bonds has one of the best batting eyes in major league history, right? Even before his steroid days, he racked up the walks.

KC_Connection
04-29-2009, 02:11 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml?redir

His numbers seem more ridiculous every time I see them.

Jayhawkerman2001
04-29-2009, 02:33 AM
thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard... bonds is way too old now

KC_Connection
04-29-2009, 02:53 AM
thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard... bonds is way too old now

Randy Johnson is older and he's still pitching.

Jayhawkerman2001
04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Randy Johnson is older and he's still pitching.

i kinda forgot about that. i was actually thinking to myself the other day, how the fuck is johnson still fucking pitching at his age? He even looks his age, like an old lifetime drink/smoker

KC_Connection
04-29-2009, 03:06 AM
i kinda forgot about that. i was actually thinking to myself the other day, how the **** is johnson still ****ing pitching at his age? He even looks his age, like an old lifetime drink/smoker

Yeah, it's pretty fucked up actually. He's 45 and still striking out a batter an inning.

kstater
04-29-2009, 03:59 AM
I can't believe that some fans of a team that barely manages to squeak out 2 runs per game don't thin Barry Bonds would be worth having on the roster. Of course Bonds would help this team. The top half of the rotation is very good(bad day to post this) and it's going to be pissed away due to lack of scoring.

Demonpenz
04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
It would be nice for the K to be half full when it isn't firework friday, t shirt tuesday, masterbate saturday, cock up your ass sunday, or whatever, on a 70 degree night there should be more people at the ball park than yesterday, now the day before I understand, but they have 12 dollar tickets 7 dollar tickets for the dry duck.

petegz28
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Whitlock needs to STFU when it comes to baseball and stick to Gates

shitgoose
04-29-2009, 07:15 AM
He's the best value in baseball. Not only does he hit the ball but he packs the stadiums, jacks the TV ratings, and provides constant fodder in the baseball world. These are all things the Royals need if they want to compete with the bigger market teams.

CoMoChief
04-29-2009, 08:01 AM
the Chiefs arent giving him anything to write about. I guess thats why hes coming up with this crap.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
I wonder if there will ever be a Bonds life story movie, with Micheal Clark Duncan starring as Bonds in the prime years of the steroids era and dave chappelle as the early career bonds?

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I can't believe that some fans of a team that barely manages to squeak out 2 runs per game don't thin Barry Bonds would be worth having on the roster. Of course Bonds would help this team. The top half of the rotation is very good(bad day to post this) and it's going to be pissed away due to lack of scoring.

A lot of KC fans loves them some nice guys.

They'd rather cheer for David IhavenofuckingcluewhatI'mdoingonthebasesbutpleasedon'tcriticizemeorI'llgethiveswhich sucksbecauseI'mnothingbutanaverageMLplayer DeJesus.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
A lot of KC fans loves them some nice guys.

They'd rather cheer for David Ihaveno****ingcluewhatI'mdoingonthebasesbutpleasedon'tcriticizemeorI'llgethiveswhich sucksbecauseI'mnothingbutanaverageMLplayer DeJesus.

Should've traded him a long time ago when he had value. The dude is the wade boggs of the OF, not fast, can hit pretty good (even though boggs was a way better hitter) and no power. But he smiles alot!!!!!!!

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Should've traded him a long time ago when he had value. The dude is the wade boggs of the OF, not fast, can hit pretty good (even though boggs was a way better hitter) and no power. But he smiles alot!!!!!!!

And it's really neat how he can blow bubbles with his gum, bubbles!!!1!, while playing.

Fuck David DeJesus. Last night is a perfect example of why I can't stand the stupid fuck.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM
And it's really neat how he can blow bubbles with his gum, bubbles!!!1!, while playing.

**** David DeJesus. Last night is a perfect example of why I can't stand the stupid ****.

He just loves life, and you are a hater cause you don't....i'm sure he watches the brady bunch on the team bus.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
He just loves life, and you are a hater cause you don't....i'm sure he watches the brady bunch on the team bus.

If I were Greg I would have fucked Marsha. Big mistake if he didn't.

Katipan
04-29-2009, 08:13 AM
It would certainly get me to another Royals game.

I hate that bastard. I can't wait for him to have a heart attack one day as he does his usual pause for 10 minutes and watch the ball rocket out of the park while he stands at home plate.

A drooling, twitching, foaming, ugly heart attack.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
If I were Greg I would have ****ed Marsha. Big mistake if he didn't.

I think in real life he did do her, didn't he?? They were WAY too happy, there must've been alot of behind the scenes action

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I think in real life he did do her, didn't he?? They were WAY too happy, there must've been alot of behind the scenes action

I thought he was fucking the mom, which was/is also a solid plan.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:29 AM
I thought he was ****ing the mom, which was/is also a solid plan.

Probably both at the same time, didn't he marry the mom??!

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Probably both at the same time, didn't he marry the mom??!

Nope, and apparently he didn't even give it to her. Epic fail.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OUkNsFNwUSEC&pg=PA220&lpg=PA220&dq=Did+Greg+brady+have+sex+with+Carol+brady&source=bl&ots=0FI5eO0nuj&sig=BxNYPy_YSjD7wCj9ErV8XCaZ4Lg&hl=en&ei=t2T4SbenO6PYMNCFybgP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Nope, and apparently he didn't even give it to her. Epic fail.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OUkNsFNwUSEC&pg=PA220&lpg=PA220&dq=Did+Greg+brady+have+sex+with+Carol+brady&source=bl&ots=0FI5eO0nuj&sig=BxNYPy_YSjD7wCj9ErV8XCaZ4Lg&hl=en&ei=t2T4SbenO6PYMNCFybgP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

ROFL You googled it and yes it is epic fail:shake:

Demonpenz
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Whitlock needs to STFU when it comes to baseball and stick to Gates

I went to gates the other day and it sucked. Way to loud, shit banging all over the place, it was expensive, loud, slippery, and salty, (i got the ribs)

Raised On Riots
04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I went to gates the other day and it sucked. Way to loud, shit banging all over the place, it was expensive, loud, slippery, and salty, (i got the ribs)

Linwood and Main?

WilliamTheIrish
04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
We've already got one surly, non-producing, over paid bat in the lineup. I mean, he's not in the lineup every day, but he's a surly, non producing ,overpaid bat.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
The Royals need to do something cause we can definatly make the playoffs if we can find some consistant bats.

CaliforniaChief
04-29-2009, 08:57 AM
The Royals need to do something cause we can definatly make the playoffs if we can find some consistant bats.

This. Don't know if Bonds is that guy, but definitely this. We can win the division this year, people. But not with this offense.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Wonder if there will be a meaningful bat or two available at the trade deadline?

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
If there was we'd have to give up pitching, which we probably shouldn't or won't.

Jacobs is sucking so far, hell all the royals but teahen and callaspo are sucking

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Bonds would get some media attention to KC and put some meat in the seats, they should do it just for that reason.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
If there was we'd have to give up pitching, which we probably shouldn't or won't.

Jacobs is sucking so far, hell all the royals but teahen and callaspo are sucking

Maybe some lower-level prospects would get the job done for a team primarily looking to dump salary.

This team hasn't been to the playoffs in forever, so, while I don't want to threaten the future, we better do everything possible to make a serious run if our pitching holds up.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe some lower-level prospects would get the job done for a team primarily looking to dump salary.

This team hasn't been to the playoffs in forever, so, while I don't want to threaten the future, we better do everything possible to make a serious run if our pitching holds up.

Hopefully there will be some. I just hope we get healthy, esp with Meche now having back issues, Soria being hurt and Gordon out till the AS break.

We'll see what happens, i still wish we tried to get Dunn.

CaliforniaChief
04-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Hopefully there will be some. I just hope we get healthy, esp with Meche now having back issues, Soria being hurt and Gordon out till the AS break.

We'll see what happens, i still wish we tried to get Dunn.

Maybe he could be had at the deadline. Not like the Nats are going to do anything competitively (certainly not the spelling bee).

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe he could be had at the deadline. Not like the Nats are going to do anything competitively (certainly not the spelling bee).

I hope so and i hope we try to get him too...

Should've signed him in the 1st place

Tuckdaddy
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd buy a Royal shirt with his name on it the very DAY it came available.

KCCHIEFS27
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Please sign Barry Bonds. He would dominate Kauffman stadium. Throw him a contract similar to what Griffey signed and the Central would be locked up.

thurman merman
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
didn't whitlock write the same article last year?

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM

?

I know we had this exact same conversation last year.

JASONSAUTO
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

IIRC it was posnaski

thurman merman
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
IIRC it was posnaski

ah, ok. i knew somebody wrote it.

thurman merman
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
here's jo po's article:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/06/26/ok-im-convinced-kc-should-sign-barry/

Short Leash Hootie
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
right now, KC sells out games when Greinke pitches...if they want to sellout games consistently, sign Barry Bonds.

Ask yourself this...

if Bonds was a Royal, would you go to the game?

I know I would...

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Bonds has no place on a team like the Royals.

We're far more comfortable having our #3 hitter lay down a ****ing sacrifice bunt with runners at 1st and 2nd.

Seriously, are you ****ing kidding me? This is a terrible move at any time, but with your #3 at the plate. Wow. ****ing wow.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't really care who we get but it's getting old to see great plays made or pitching just to have 3 up 3 down.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Bonds has no place on a team like the Royals.

We're far more comfortable having our #3 hitter laying down a ****ing sacrifice bunt with runners at 1st and 2nd.

Seriously, are you ****ing kidding me? This is a terrible move at any time, but with your #3 at the plate. Wow. ****ing wow.

well thats the point, none of our hitters are consistant enough to trust a big hit so they opt to move the runners to try and at least get 1 run in

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
well thats the point, none of our hitters are consistant enough to trust a big hit so they opt to move the runners to try and at least get 1 run in

Statistically it's the wrong move.

I don't give a fuck who is on the team. It's a decision that basically raises the white flag.

sedated
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
ty law.

Short Leash Hootie
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM

I don't give a **** who is on the team. It's a decision that basically raises the white flag.

That game pissed me off.

If you have a #3 hitter laying down sac bunts...Bonds is a pretty good signing.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
That game pissed me off.

If you have a #3 hitter laying down sac bunts...Bonds is a pretty good signing.

Exactly.

Bonds is more metaphor than anything at this point, since I can't imagine that he'd sign with the Royals even if Moore wanted to make the move.

The bottom line is that Dayton needs to find help somewhere, lest he waste a potentially ridiculous year from our staff.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM

I don't give a **** who is on the team. It's a decision that basically raises the white flag.

i agree and last night the jays made the royals look dumb when they got the lead runner out at 3rd, then Hillman comes out like Mr. Badass to argue when the call was correct.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
i agree and last night the jays made the royals look dumb when they got the lead runner out at 3rd, then Hillman comes out like Mr. Badass to argue when the call was correct.

I agree and said something to that effect in the game thread.

Hillman trying to save face when the decision was flawed from the start, even if it would have worked in the team's favor.

Stewie
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Is JWhit trying to get fired? It sure seems like it reading some of the crap he's written lately.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Is JWhit trying to get fired? It sure seems like it reading some of the crap he's written lately.

The whole article is basically saying the royals batting blows and we need someone to kick it into gear. He should have just wrote the article to say just this not suggest bonds old ass.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Caller on 810, when discussing the use of the sac bunt with less than 2 outs (paraphrased):

"I used to play ball and I coach a 13-year-old AAA team, and I completely disagree. If you're not going to use Crisp to bunt guys over and bring DeJesus up, you're not playing ball the right way."

I coach a AAA team.

http://www.kreativekorp.com/miscpages/omgwtfbbq/roflcopter.gif

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 12:03 PM
heaven forbid we can just get a base hit when we have people on with less then 2 outs

sedated
04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
good or bad decision, it looked like the throw to third was going bail us out by getting the bases loaded with no outs. but Aviles' dumbass pop-up slide bailed them out instead.

Beerfund
04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
good or bad decision, it looked like the throw to third was going bail us out by getting the bases loaded with no outs. but Aviles' dumbass pop-up slide bailed them out instead.

yup