PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz reporting that Kuharich released today.

T-post Tom
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
More Moves at Arrowhead
April 29, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

The purge of the Chiefs personnel department continued as V.P. of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich was released Wednesday morning.

Kuharich joined the organization in 2000 as director of pro personnel. He was named to his current position in 2006 and worked closely with then head coach Herm Edwards in the drafts of 2006 through 2008. He has 26 years of experience in pro football personnel.

Reports out of Detroit had the Lions interested in hiring Kuharich back in January, but the Chiefs refused to grant the Lions permission to speak with him at that time.

Heís the seventh person in the teamís personnel department that has been sent out the door this week by new GM Scott Pioli.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Cool, I guess. Pioli cleanin house!

BigRedChief
04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Cool, I guess. Pioli cleanin house!
He deserves to have his own guys working with him.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 11:54 AM
The fact that they refused to grant Detroit permission, combined with the fact they let him go immediately after the draft, tells me that the whole GM/coaching search took too long and we ended up stuck with what we had.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
The fact that they refused to grant Detroit permission, combined with the fact they let him go immediately after the draft, tells me that the whole GM/coaching search took too long and we ended up stuck with what we had.

It appears that way.

Chiefnj2
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
It really had to be a bad environment the last few months. All these guys knew their jobs were on the line and they were likely to be fired after the draft. You have to wonder what kind of job they did in their evaluations.

BigRedChief
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Maybe. Ya never know because of the info lock down now in place at One Arrowhead drive.

But hopefully this all works out and we don't have to go through this again for 20 years.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Pioli wants us to be the patriots so bad.

veist
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
It really had to be a bad environment the last few months. All these guys knew their jobs were on the line and they were likely to be fired after the draft. You have to wonder what kind of job they did in their evaluations.

I'd imagine in the scouting world its a relatively small world and word would travel fast that you phoned it in when things got tough. So probably not a good way to enhance your future job prospects.

htismaqe

Exactly.

Marco Polo
You have to wonder what kind of job they did in their evaluations.

If they are professionals and wanted another job in the NFL one day, they would do their job as they normally would.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
If they are professionals and wanted another job in the NFL one day, they would do their job as they normally would.

But if they're human, admittedly unlikely for Bill, it's a distinct possibility.

I know if I were about to be fired, I'd be busting my ass to its fullest.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM

You'd think. But there's difference between going through the motions and giving 110%.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Such a horrible economy!

CoMoChief
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM

You didn't even have to look at the fact to come up with that conclusion really. The fact that we didn't have a HC when combines and everything were going on could have told you that.

Pioli needed this current scouting crew because he had nothing else to work with, no coaches nothing.

To be honest, our draft wasn't exactly special. Last years was clearly better IMO.

milkman
I'm sorry to see Kuharich go.

I think he actually did a pretty damn good job, given who he had been working with over the years.

DeezNutz
Bill:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggtD2Y1h1zw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggtD2Y1h1zw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SenselessChiefsFan

Regardless of when Pioli was hired, the scouting staff would have stayed put. The draft process for next year is just starting. It would have been impossible to fire these guys and then get caught up for the draft.

And, letting Kuharich go in January would have been a mistake. He was very familiar with all the work the Chiefs had done on the draft this year.

Mr. Krab
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5517/96178045.jpg

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Pioli is just pissed that he didnt get to make any draft day trades. So hes gonna take it out on everyone like a single mother of 4 kids on a 3 week period.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Regardless of when Pioli was hired, the scouting staff would have stayed put. The draft process for next year is just starting. It would have been impossible to fire these guys and then get caught up for the draft.

And, letting Kuharich go in January would have been a mistake. He was very familiar with all the work the Chiefs had done on the draft this year.

If Pioli and Haley would have been hired the week after the season ended, they would have had time to bring in their own guys, like other teams did.

the Talking Can
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
and the purge is complete

kaplin42
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Pioli is just pissed that he didnt get to make any draft day trades. So hes gonna take it out on everyone like a single mother of 4 kids on a 3 week period.

This is sarcasm right? right?

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
This is sarcasm right? right?

Yes dont worry.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
If Pioli and Haley would have been hired the week after the season ended, they would have had time to bring in their own guys, like other teams did.

Other teams didn't revamp their entire scouting departments. It just doesn't happen that way.

Dave Lane
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I actually liked him, but Pioli I'm sure has someone in mind.

T-post Tom
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

If that means 3 Superbowl rings, then have at it, Mr. Pioli. You got my vote.

RustShack
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM

No, all new regimes do the first year with the old staff unless they are idiots, right after the draft is when you want to make your changes. You want your scouts to know what they are looking for when the college season starts, not know what they should have been looking for in time for the combine.

T-post Tom
04-29-2009, 12:22 PM
No, all new regimes do the first year with the old staff unless they are idiots, right after the draft is when you want to make your changes. You want your scouts to know what they are looking for when the college season starts, not know what they should have been looking for in time for the combine.

:thumb:

BigRedChief
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
To be honest, our draft wasn't exactly special. Last years was clearly better IMO.
And you know this how? Before they even take the field?

Kerberos
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
It's not that bad. We could have an owner like Al Davis that is his own scouting department and Draft day Moron.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
If that means 3 Superbowl rings, then have at it, Mr. Pioli. You got my vote.

heh, yea, 4 Super Bowl appearances in 8 years must really suck.

BigRedChief
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
heh, yea, 4 Super Bowl appearances in 8 years must really suck.
He had nothing to do with it, it was all Bill. He was a figurehead.
/revisionist Chief fans unhappy with the first draft picks

Craqhead
04-29-2009, 12:45 PM

If you mean he wants us too be a winning program, thats in the playoff's year in and year out. Will winning the SB every once in awhile, whats the problem?

58kcfan89
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Any Royals fans should be familiar with this. Dayton Moore kept the Royals scouts intact when he first got the job in KC until the first draft (Hochevar) before bringing in his guys; same with Pioli now.

I didn't think Kuharich did a bad job, but I'm willing to bet Pioli has someone in mind that he thinks can do better.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Other teams didn't revamp their entire scouting departments. It just doesn't happen that way.

Several of them replaced their top personnel people as soon as the changed GMs.

That doesn't mean they got rid of all the field scouts, but we kept EVERYBODY and very few teams do that.

htismaqe
04-29-2009, 01:08 PM
He had nothing to do with it, it was all Bill. He was a figurehead.
/revisionist Chief fans unhappy with the first draft picks

ROFL

EyePod
04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I want to see Krumrie's pink slip...

rad
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
I want to see Krumrie's pink slip...

That's one of the few things I absolutely hate. Why keep a coach that has not gotten anything out of so much 1st and 2nd round talent?

Munson
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5517/96178045.jpg

I'm disappointed that it took 19 replies for someone to post this picture. The Planet is slipping. LMAO

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Why keep a coach that has not gotten anything out of so much 1st and 2nd round talent?

You've answered your own question.

dirk digler
04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Not surprising but I like the house cleaning that is going on over at 1 Arrowhead Drive

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Gretz is the next one to go bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowanian
04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Gretz pizzed, all inside sources gawn!!!

I wonder if bobgretz remembers not so many years ago, in an email exchange concerning a former D coordinator where he said I was sick, classless and deranged, and I responded that I was a Chiefs fan when he was in Pittsburg, and I'd still be one after he'd moved on to his next stop?