PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Just sign Jason Taylor

Mr. Krab
04-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Wait ... before everyone freaks out and calls me an idiot. :)

1. Taylor has played with Zach Thomas and should be comfortable here.
2. we need pass rushers
3. Vrabel is not a full time player
4. Split time between Taylor and Vrabel

Of course it depends on how much money he wants and we would only be willing to sign him to a short term deal for 1 or 2 years. Unless we get another guy, Taylor could be the best current option.

ok, now you can call me an idiot.

Short Leash Hootie
04-30-2009, 10:39 AM
got my hopes up

nuthooks

raybec 4
04-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Wait ... before everyone freaks out and calls me an idiot. :)

1. Taylor has played with Zach Thomas and should be comfortable here.
2. we need pass rushers
3. Vrabel is not a full time player
4. Split time between Taylor and Vrabel

Of course it depends on how much money he wants and we would on be willing to sign him to a short term deal for 1 or 2 years. Unless we get another guy, Taylor could be the best current option.

ok, now you can call me an idiot.

You're and idiot

L.A. Chieffan
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
basically every FA out there we should sign and take a look...

chiefforlife
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Hoping for Leroy Hill, myself. Id settle for Taylor though.

Buehler445
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Only if he is cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
04-30-2009, 10:44 AM
You're and idiot

This.

Amnorix
04-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Sorry to disappint you, but he'll be joining the Patriots.

Mr. Krab
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
got my hopes up

nuthooks
I said "sign taylor" not "we have signed taylor"

doofus

i changed it in case there are some other reading impair people. LMAO

Iowanian
04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Taylor sure didn't earn his money last year in DC. It seemed to me he's lost the desire at football and is more interested in tv time or something. I'd rather the Chiefs go another direction.

I'd prefer Hill right now, but would think that LaBoy makes sense as well.

I also wonder about Mike Brown for safety depth, unless his tank is empty.

EyePod
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I think you should change the title. I thought it said "Just signed Jason Taylor."

EyePod
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Taylor sure didn't earn his money last year in DC. It seemed to me he's lost the desire at football and is more interested in tv time or something. I'd rather the Chiefs go another direction.

I'd prefer Hill right now, but would think that LaBoy makes sense as well.

I also wonder about Mike Brown for safety depth, unless his tank is empty.

He talked about it and said that he didn't live up to it and how he wants to prove that he's worth the money that he received there.

talastan
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
LaBoy is the best option IMO. Young, and already knows the defense. Good pass rushing skills. No matter whom, we need a good pass rusher. I just don't want to break the bank for Taylor.

kchero
04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
This.

That :D

EyePod
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
LaBoy is the best option IMO. Young, and already knows the defense. Good pass rushing skills. No matter whom, we need a good pass rusher. I just don't want to break the bank for Taylor.

He's a piece of glass though... Really injury prone and COMPLETELY useless against the run. There's been people who say that he's not as good as he should be rushing the passer because he's so bad against the run.

RedThat
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Some of you guys would serious consider LaBoy over Jason Taylor? hmmm

chop
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
You're and idiot

Make up your mind, it's either

Your and idiot

or

You're an idiot

Don't mix them again. :D

EyePod
04-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Your and idiot

or

You're an idiot

LOL Forum Grammar Nazi...

Cormac
04-30-2009, 11:32 AM
You're and idiot

The grammar police would like to inform you that it is:

YOUR and idiot.

Cormac
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
dammit :D

Jethopper
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
The grammar police would like to inform you that it is:

YOUR and idiot.

Wrong again. Yur and idiot.

raybec 4
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Your and idiot

or

You're an idiot

Well in that case, im and idiot

dj56dt58
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I think you should change the title. I thought it said "Just signed Jason Taylor."

me too :cuss:

KCDC
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I was hopeful about LaBoy too; but, if we don't sign him it's because our ex-Arizona coaches know his secrets. So, I will trust them. Having said that, Jason Taylor, for the right price, would be a welcome addition. I keep hoping Pioli has some plan in mind other than signing ex-Parcells guys from other teams' practice squads.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes to Taylor.
Yes to Laboy.
Yes to Hill.

Why not sign all three of them?

This defense stunk out loud last year.

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes to Taylor.
Yes to Laboy.
Yes to Hill.

I agree.

blaise
04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
I bet Taylor's had talks with teams but he's the kind of guy that thinks he has to play in a big media market.

Buehler445
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes to Taylor.
Yes to Laboy.
Yes to Hill.

I am going to make it my personal goal to use the term "stunk out loud" before 5:00.

MoreLemonPledge
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes to Taylor.
Yes to Laboy.
Yes to Hill.

Taylor = $$$$$, short term fix, and questionable dedication to football. He's also old with bad knees. He didn't play a whole lot last year with the Redskins.

LaBoy = $$$$$ and an average talent. They could draft somebody or find somebody else for cheaper that would perform as well as him.

Hill = $$$$$ and he's probably just going to re-sign with the Seahawks. Also, doesn't have 3-4 experience. That being said, he would be my option of the 3.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I am going to make it my personal goal to use the term "stunk out loud" before 5:00.

ROFL

Mr. Krab
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Ya, sign all 3 so we can play the dreaded 7 linebacker defense.

Taylor
Vrabel
Thomas
Laboy
Johnson
Hill
Williams

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Taylor = $$$$$, short term fix, and questionable dedication to football. He's also old with bad knees. He didn't play a whole lot last year with the Redskins.

LaBoy = $$$$$ and an average talent. They could draft somebody or find somebody else for cheaper that would perform as well as him.

Hill = $$$$$ and he's probably just going to re-sign with the Seahawks. Also, doesn't have 3-4 experience. That being said, he would be my option of the 3.

I'm not sure I buy the Parcells wrap on Taylor.
If he were that interested in all of the extra-football affairs he'd retire.
He would be a short-term fix, but without a legitimate pass rush you retard the growth of your young players. Namely the Corners. He's been on the market for what 3 months now? I'm sure his demands aren't as high as they were 2 months ago.

Laboy's no world beater, but he'd certainly help upgrade a historically bad pass rush here in Kansas City. The Draft is over. Laboy is going to be one of the best options available until the season starts. It's almost May. You aren't going to stumble across many players who can rush the passer at this point.

Hill will be the most expensive player of the three, but we aren't exactly hurting for cap space. Good football players get good coin. That's a reality of the NFL. We don't have much at LB. What we do have we won't have for long (Vrabel, Thomas). Hill can be a long-term answer there. Why not give yourself that kind of assurance at least at 1 of those spots?

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Ya, sign all 3 so we can play the dreaded 7 linebacker defense.

Taylor
Vrabel
Thomas
Laboy
Johnson
Hill
Williams

Four starters, three reserve LB's.
What's wrong with that? We're going to run a 3-4.
You forgot Beisel.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
2nd and 4th for Peppers.

Mr. Krab
04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Four starters, three reserve LB's.
What's wrong with that? We're going to run a 3-4.
You forgot Beisel.
who's gonna start and who's gonna backup?

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
2nd and 4th for Peppers.

UGH. No.
If we're gonna use picks to acquire a player it had better be Boldin.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
who's gonna start and who's gonna backup?

Hmm...

I suspect that Vrabel, Thomas, Hill, and DJ would start.

MoreLemonPledge
04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
2nd and 4th for Peppers.

He'd be long gone if he could be had for that.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
UGH. No.
If we're gonna use picks to acquire a player it had better be Boldin.

Pass Rusher greatly outweighs a WR.

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM

How many years does Peppers have left vs. Boldin?

Mr. Krab
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm...

I suspect that Vrabel, Thomas, Hill, and DJ would start.
So Taylor and Laboy are going to be fine signing with us as backups?

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
So Taylor and Laboy are going to be fine signing with us as backups?

They'd both be rotational players at DE.
Whether or not they'd be willing to sign on as roleplayers...I don't know.
It's not like they have options to be starters anywhere else though.

I think one of them might have an opportunity to start here.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
How many years does Peppers have left vs. Boldin?

One is 28 the other 29. I don't see much of a difference.

talastan
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Another benefit for the LaBoy arguement is he already is familar with the Defense we are going to run.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Who do you think has the bigger impact on this team?

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM

A pass rusher.

RustShack
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM

I'll trade for Boldin and sign Taylor instead of just trading for Peppers. We would also likely have to give up more for Peppers.

Jethopper
04-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Not if you have 0 offensive weapons

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM

I do. The history of WR's over 30 is far more favorable than the history of DE's over 30.

Plus Peppers is going to cost a ton more. I'd rather have Jason Taylor and Boldin, all things being equal.

Der Flöprer
04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
How long until Mr. Krabs starts posting pr0n pics?

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I do. The history of WR's over 30 is far more favorable than the history of DE's over 30.

Plus Peppers is going to cost a ton more. I'd rather have Jason Taylor and Boldin, all things being equal.

Taylor is 34 and wasn't able to start half the season last year. He's toast at this point. The top DE's do pretty well in their 30's. Even Taylor did well from 30-33.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 02:06 PM
A pass rusher.

A DE in the 3-4 is responsible first for stopping the run.
And Peppers has already said he wants to play OLB in the 3-4.

I'll take Boldin.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
A DE in the 3-4 is responsible first for stopping the run.
And Peppers has already said he wants to play OLB in the 3-4.

I'll take Boldin.

Peppers will be the pass rushing OLB in the 3-4. You build from the inside out.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Peppers will be the pass rushing OLB in the 3-4.

:spock:

At 285?

Chiefnj2
04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
:spock:

At 285?

Merriman does it at 275. Peppers can lose 5-10 in an attempt to gain some speed.

Jethopper
04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Merriman does it at 275. Peppers can lose 5-10 in an attempt to gain some speed.

Speed is not the question. Peppers is much faster than merriman. The question is if he plays too straight up, when rushing the passer because of his height.

ChiefRon
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, from an armchair perspective,

I'd try to sign Hill (6 yr, 36 mil sounds a little steep tho)
I'd try to sign LaBoy
I would pass on Bolding because of Arizona's asking price, if we're giving up high draft picks, which I wouldn't be interested in, I'd rather them go after Edwards

Then, I'd try to trade Hali for a 2nd to a 4-3 team in need of LDE (Tampa?)

I'd also like to get another weapon for Cassel, but with Haley's track record, I might just go w/what we have and see what he can do with them.

But we haven't done anything I would have done this offseason, so I doubt they do any of these things...

beach tribe
04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I think Peppers would be a KILLER OLB.

beach tribe
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM

I'd try to sign LaBoy
I would pass on Bolding because of Arizona's asking price, if we're giving up high draft picks, which I wouldn't be interested in, I'd rather them go after Edwards

Then, I'd try to trade Hali for a 2nd to a 4-3 team in need of LDE (Tampa?)

I'd also like to get another weapon for Cassel, but with Haley's track record, I might just go w/what we have and see what he can do with them.

But we haven't done anything I would have done this offseason, so I doubt they do any of these things...

A 2nd for Hali?? LOL.

ChiefRon
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
A 2nd for Hali?? LOL.

Yeah, probably wishful thinking, but I do think some teams would value them in a 4-3 scheme.

3rd?

Jethopper
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
A 2nd for Hali?? LOL.

ROFL

Gravedigger
04-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Hope for both, if they want to buff up the defense, those two will surely not hurt. I'm sure Thomas and Vrabel can teach Hill a thing or two, and Jason Taylor can teach Hali a thing or two as well.

raybec 4
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Hope for both, if they want to buff up the defense, those two will surely not hurt. I'm sure Thomas and Vrabel can teach Hill a thing or two, and Jason Taylor can teach Hali a thing or two as well.

Like the fox-trot, maybe a little salsa?

kysirsoze
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes to Taylor.
Yes to Laboy.
Yes to Hill.

This

He can't make us worse, there aren't a ton of other options that I know of, and we have a shit ton of cap room. (For as long as the cap is in place for that matter.)

Micjones
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM

I thought Merriman was closer to 270?

Micjones
04-30-2009, 04:19 PM

With all the cap space we have?
Psssshhhhtttt...

Von Dumbass
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/30/mora-seahawks-about-to-re-sign-hill/
The Seattle Seahawks are on the verge of re-signing linebacker Leroy Hill after lifting the franchise tag on the defensive starter over the weekend, Seahawks coach Jim Mora said during an interview with KJR Radio, per Eric Williams of the Tacoma News-Tribune.

A new deal may happen fast, perhaps as soon as today or Friday, according to Mora, who discussed rescinding an $8.3 million franchise tag on Hill in a move that made him an unrestricted free agent.

Hill had previously declined a six-year, $36 million offer prior to being designated as the team’s franchise player.

“We believe we made the right decision,” Mora said during the radio spot. “Sure it was a risky decision. A very risky decision. … If for some reason Leroy decides to go somewhere else then we’re open to criticism. We probably deserve it.

“But my belief in talking to Leroy as much as I have is that he’ll be wearing a Seattle Seahawk uniform next year. I feel very confident of that.”

Meanwhile, Mora announced that Ken Lucas will start at right cornerback over Josh Wilson.

“I know it wasn’t a popular move with Josh, but I felt like it was the right thing to do,” Mora said. “We signed Kenny. He’s been a player in this league for a long time. He’s been a successful player. And we’re going to put him in that spot. … He’s a taller guy. He’s physical.

“He’s competitive. He’s smart. And I think we’re going to get his best. I think he’s really motivated. He’s got a little chip on his shoulder because of what happened to him. He got cut. He was on the open market for a while, and I think he has something to prove.”

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
The oldification of the Chiefs continues

rad
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM

He said it wrong. The proper phrase is "suck out loud"....as in, to suck so much that you make a loud slurping noise. That's how you know when the sucking is at it's peak, when you can hear it.

Micjones
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
He said it wrong. The proper phrase is "suck out loud"....as in, to suck so much that you make a loud slurping noise. That's how you know when the sucking is at it's peak, when you can hear it.

It's just a different expression.
I've never said "suck out loud" and never intended to.
That doesn't sound as good anyway.

MoreLemonPledge
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, probably wishful thinking, but I do think some teams would value them in a 4-3 scheme.

3rd?

We'd be really lucky to get a 4th for Hali at this point.

ChiefRon
04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
We'd be really lucky to get a 4th for Hali at this point.

Maybe. Or maybe folks on here just like hating on him.

The guys on Moving the Chains on Sirius said a few days before the draft that while Hali may not fit in a 3-4, he's considered a really good player in the 4-3, and some teams in need of LDE should be looking to get him for a 2nd or 3rd, it would be better that any guy in 2nd or 3rd rd in the draft...

Course, I don't always agree with their takes, but interesting they were throwing it around like that.

Nightfyre
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM

The guys on Moving the Chains on Sirius said a few days before the draft that while Hali may not fit in a 3-4, he's considered a really good player in the 4-3, and some teams in need of LDE should be looking to get him for a 2nd or 3rd, it would be better that any guy in 2nd or 3rd rd in the draft...

Course, I don't always agree with their takes, but interesting they were throwing it around like that.

Id take a second for Hali.... I dont think Id give one though.

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 07:17 PM

I think there might be some teams out there that look at his rookie numbers (especially forced fumbles) and the fact that he played under Herm and think he might have some upside.

I would contend that we'd be better off seeing what we have in him before we ship him off for a little bit of nothing.

But I'm also of the belief that our coaching the last couple of years was some of the worst in the history of football...

milkman
04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Wrong again. Yur and idiot.

Listen n00b, don't come here and tell us what it is.

Around here, it's "Your and Idiot"

And n00b, Your and Idiot.

Tits McGee
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
On a side note. THERE IS NO GAS LEFT IN THE TANK!!!!

ChiefRon
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, Leroy Hill does in fact sign with Seahawks, 6yrs, 38 mil
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4118907&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
The Seahawks have now spent on LB's what most teams spend on their QB and LT COMBINED.

Unreal.

rad
04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
It's just a different expression.
I've never said "suck out loud" and never intended to.
That doesn't sound as good anyway.

Maybe you should start a poll. I've never heard anyone say stunk out loud.

blaise
05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Maybe you should start a poll. I've never heard anyone say stunk out loud.

I have. In fact, I say it myself sometimes. It's definitely an expression.

rad
05-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I have. In fact, I say it myself sometimes. It's definitely an expression.

Huh. Must be a regional thing.