PDA

View Full Version : Royals Bo Jackson's throw...

Guru
05-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I was talking with a friend today while tearing up my basement and this came up. I never actually got to see the throw so I looked it up and found this.

DAMN!
<object width="420" height="339">

<embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x73jkf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="420" height="339"></object>
Reynolds (http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x73jkf)
by beisbolct (http://www.dailymotion.com/beisbolct)

DaneMcCloud
05-03-2009, 01:22 AM
I was at that game.

I was also privy to seeing him break the baseball bat over his head and over his knee.

He was a sweet guy. He worked out with my brother and sent flowers when his daughter was born in 1990.

The Royals screwed him.

ChiefsFanatic
05-03-2009, 02:39 AM
I am pretty sure that his first regular season at bat with the white sox after his surgery was a home run.

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 03:43 AM
Bo was just an amazing athelete. Still think one of the best of all time. Maybe even the best.

KcMizzou
05-03-2009, 03:49 AM
He was a Raider. Fuck him.

Meh, who am I kidding. I treasured this card...

http://www.homeruncards.com/images-cards/bo-jackson-bw.jpg

Jayhawkerman2001
05-03-2009, 04:03 AM
When I was little Bo Jackson was my idol. I wanted to be just like him so much. So much that i would spend hours trying to throw the ball across my parents yard without bouncing it.

since i didnt have anybody that would want to play catch with me that often, i spent more time running for the ball than i did actually throwing it, HAH

mikey23545
05-03-2009, 04:40 AM
So many people that never actually saw him play just look at his stats and say "meh...."

But those who did see him play realize the man was just a freak, a force of nature.....

Hog Rider
05-03-2009, 05:31 AM
One of the few games we attended while visiting relatives in KC. Did we not also have our pitchers(s) pick off two runners at second during that same game?

tomahawk kid
05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
I was at that game.

I was also privy to seeing him break the baseball bat over his head and over his knee.

He was a sweet guy. He worked out with my brother and sent flowers when his daughter was born in 1990.

The Royals screwed him.

I remember there being a controversy, but don't remember the particulars.

Can you enlighten me?

I believe that slight is the reason Bo won't make an appearance at the K today.

Dinny Blues
05-03-2009, 07:44 AM
The greatest athlete of all time.

Chuck Norris wears Bo Jackson pajamas.

Dinny

Archie F. Swin
05-03-2009, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1v7TWECks

rockymtnchief
05-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I remember an interview right after Reynolds retired. He said he rounded third base and thought he was home free. His teammates were yelling at him to run and get down (slide). He thought they were screwing with him because he knew no human could make that throw.

chop
05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I saw the game on tv and it was a beautiful throw. That was one of those "wow" moments while watching a sporting event.

Demonpenz
05-03-2009, 09:44 AM
He was a freak, funny to listen about frank white talk about him though, said he wouldn't stillwell wouldn't even go out there for a cutoff man, bo would do what bo wanted to do. Too bad freak athletes don't choose baseball anymore. Lebron could have rob some sick homeruns

Pitt Gorilla
05-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I still like the play where he ran up the wall.

eazyb81
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
When I was little Bo Jackson was my idol. I wanted to be just like him so much. So much that i would spend hours trying to throw the ball across my parents yard without bouncing it.

since i didnt have anybody that would want to play catch with me that often, i spent more time running for the ball than i did actually throwing it, HAH

He was my idol also, but my way of imitating him was a bit different.

When I was little I noticed him constantly adjusting his junk while in the batter's box. For some reason I thought that was cool and decided to copy him (little kids are so weird). So I adjusted myself down there when I went up to bat in little league games, despite the fact I was 7 and barely had anything to adjust.

After a few games, my dad pulled me aside and told me to cut it out. I told him why I was doing it and he laughed his ass off.

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
He SHOULDNT have gone to the Raiders. That is what gave him the bad karma. You can't be a KC Royal... and a fucking RAIDER. That's why God threw the hammer down on him.

That being said... I fucking LOVED Bo. He rocked.

Al Bundy
05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
There's a shot of Darnell Coles (#2)'s expression when he see's that throw and it is hilarious.

Al Bundy
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I will always remember Bo telling Hugh Culverhouse "I will not play for the Buccaneers." and Culverhouse drafting him anyway because he was a big moron...

Mojo Jojo
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
1989...Bo leads off the All-Star Game with a Home Run. Was named the game's MVP. That night was also the debut of the "Bo Knows" spots from Nike.

MIAdragon
05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3PaLzvy_IA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3PaLzvy_IA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
If you ever saw him during infield/outfield workouts you would have no doubt about his ability. And his hard work. That HR he hit in the ASG in Anaheim went 500 feet and was a thing of beauty.

I've mentioned this before but on the final day of the 1986 season the Royals were playing the Twins, who had clinched their first post season since 1966. I was sitting in LF GA with my brothers. The team was taking infield/outfield practice.

Lonnie Smith and Bo were the two LF'ers, with BO being a recent callup from Omaha. When it came time for them to make their throws to 2nd, 3rd and home.... that's when the action started.

Ground ball to LF, Lonnie scoops it up and throws a high lob, that comes fairly close to third base.

Bo is up next. Ground ball into LF, Bo scoops it up and throws a BB that (I swear) never got more 6 feet off the ground and it hits Brett's glove right on the bag. Crowd screams in delight.

They do it again and this time Lonnie throws another semi rainbow to 3b about 3 feet offline. This time the crowd boos. Lonnie's shoulder slump.

Bo up again. He fields a line drive on one hop and fires another BB that hits Brett waist high, while straddling the bag. Crowd goes crazy.

The next two balls that come to LF are for throws to home plate. Lonnie is up and fields it clean and throws a 14 hopper to the plate. The crowd boos. Loud.

Bo fields his attempt and throws a laser to the plate. ON the fly. Crowd (bigger now because of the hubub and everybody came down the line to see what was happening) screams their approval.

Lonnie filds his last attempt, bobbles the ball and throws a rainbow that misses home plate by such a margin that Sundberg has to run up the first base line to field it. The crowd rains down "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!!! on Lonnie. He leaves the field and Lonnie was visibly shaken. (Can't blame im).

Bo's final throw from LF was another cannon shot that went home on the fly to Sunny who was straddling the plate. The crowd went beserk.

I remember Howser talking about it in the paper the next day. He stopped Lonnie after practice and told him he was still the player who helped win this team a WS. Lonnie saw the writing on the wall though. He wasn't the same in limited duty in 87. Played in 48 games.

I love Lonnie. We'd have never won the AL West title w/o him in 1985. He was a key cog in that wheel.

KChiefs1
05-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I love the story of how Bo turned an infield hit into a double. Amazing!

sd4chiefs
05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I have never seen anyone hit a ball or throw a ball as hard as Bo could.
I was at a Royals game where there was only one out and the other team had a man on 2nd and a man on 3rd base. There was a fly ball hit to Bo in deep left field and he caught it for the second out. The man on 3rd tagged up and started running for home plate but he was just jogging. The man on second also tagged up and was running for 3rd base but Bo threw him out for the 3rd out before the man jogging for home plate could score.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Cool story, WTI.

Guru
05-03-2009, 12:06 PM
That was the last year I really cared about baseball. No Bo, no ball.

I went to the ballpark several times during his short tenure.

dtebbe
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok, who else had a Nike "Bo Knows" T-shirt?

DT

Guru
05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Ok, who else had a Nike "Bo Knows" T-shirt?

DTI made my own right after the commercial aired on All Star weekend. A friend and I went to the first game after the break and, of course, Bo took that day off. We were pissed.

whoman69
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Let's not turn Bo into something he was not. He hit 100 RBI in one season, a season in which he struck out 172 times, one in every three at bats. He slugged .500 only twice and had a career high of .272 BA. His career high in games played was 135. Career average .254 with a slugging percentage of .474 which for a power hitter is very poor. He was a gifted athlete who could be brilliant but more often failed.

beavis
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
It's tragic what happened to him. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would be mentioned with the greats. Barry Bonds can kiss my ass.

milkman
05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Let's not turn Bo into something he was not. He hit 100 RBI in one season, a season in which he struck out 172 times, one in every three at bats. He slugged .500 only twice and had a career high of .272 BA. His career high in games played was 135. Career average .254 with a slugging percentage of .474 which for a power hitter is very poor. He was a gifted athlete who could be brilliant but more often failed.

What he was, was an incredible athlete who was just learning to play the game of baseball as he played it.

Guru
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Let's not turn Bo into something he was not. He hit 100 RBI in one season, a season in which he struck out 172 times, one in every three at bats. He slugged .500 only twice and had a career high of .272 BA. His career high in games played was 135. Career average .254 with a slugging percentage of .474 which for a power hitter is very poor. He was a gifted athlete who could be brilliant but more often failed.And lets not diminish what he was and what he could have been either.

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5iqwvRDoAY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5iqwvRDoAY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CHENZ A!
05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Jose Guillen has a cannon

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mMeI_dv913E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mMeI_dv913E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not surprised. He is one of the best athlete's to ever live.

Demonpenz
05-03-2009, 02:59 PM
that guillen throw was niiice as well

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
that guillen throw was niiice as well

I've seen him do similar things in a Royals jersey as well.

whoman69
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
What he was, was an incredible athlete who was just learning to play the game of baseball as he played it.

Who are you trying to kid? He was 26 and in his fourth major league season in the year that I mentioned. He played baseball for Auburn and had a couple seasons in the minors. He wasn't better in the following year, still before the injury, when he struck out 128 times or just under once every three at bats. Overall he had nearly 150 more strike outs than games played. He was an impatient hitter, an erratic fielder who would make the occassional great play, and greatly overrated because of his fame and athletic ability.

Guru
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Bo for a buck.

BWillie
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Who are you trying to kid? He was 26 and in his fourth major league season in the year that I mentioned. He played baseball for Auburn and had a couple seasons in the minors. He wasn't better in the following year, still before the injury, when he struck out 128 times or just under once every three at bats. Overall he had nearly 150 more strike outs than games played. He was an impatient hitter, an erratic fielder who would make the occassional great play, and greatly overrated because of his fame and athletic ability.

I totally agree, and have said that before. But if you sway from popular opinion of a supposed KC great, you will get mocked and ridiculed on this board even if you support yourself with sound evidence.

Fat Elvis
05-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Bo couldn't hit a curve ball to save his life, still, it was amazing to watch him play. The guy was a freak of nature.

banyon
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
This is the best throw I've ever seen (the second one against Terrence Long).

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JN9tsZP65l0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JN9tsZP65l0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

BWillie
05-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Bo couldn't hit a curve ball to save his life, still, it was amazing to watch him play. The guy was a freak of nature.

Didn't he run like a 4.15 at the NFL combine?

Jenson71
05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I think Ordonez was a little shocked at 4:22 throw.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Just a couple of points for accuracy sake.

He had 50 games with the Memphis Chicks. That's all. He was 23 when he was called up in the 1986 season.

And just so we're clear, I agree with you on the batting aspect. He K'd way too much. Nearly 1/3 of his total AB resulted in K's.

As a fielder (IMO) his only flaw, was that he had an ego that resided in that arm. He would routinely try to nail a runner going 1st to 3rd on a single, allowing the hitter to take the extra base.

He had range like nobody I ever saw in LF.

DaWolf
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
The time he caught the ball and just ran up the outfield wall in Baltimore was pretty sweet as well...

whoman69
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Just a couple of points for accuracy sake.

He had 50 games with the Memphis Chicks. That's all. He was 23 when he was called up in the 1986 season.

And just so we're clear, I agree with you on the batting aspect. He K'd way too much. Nearly 1/3 of his total AB resulted in K's.

As a fielder (IMO) his only flaw, was that he had an ego that resided in that arm. He would routinely try to nail a runner going 1st to 3rd on a single, allowing the hitter to take the extra base.

He had range like nobody I ever saw in LF.

For accuracy sake let's also point out he played three years for Auburn as a starter and had so few games in Memphis because he was still playing for Auburn.

Another player who came out at the same time was Barry Bonds who had only 44 games in Class A ball before being called up. By his 5th year he won his first MVP.

Demonpenz
05-04-2009, 09:54 AM
For accuracy sake let's also point out he played three years for Auburn as a starter and had so few games in Memphis because he was still playing for Auburn.

Another player who came out at the same time was Barry Bonds who had only 44 games in Class A ball before being called up. By his 5th year he won his first MVP.

lol barry bonds is in another stratosphere

Sure-Oz
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I remember having Bo Jackson nikes, they were badass

DJ's left nut
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Currently the best OF arm in the NL:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805072655396

Kid has an absolute cannon.

Dartgod
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Bo couldn't hit a curve ball to save his life...
I look after you. I do a lot for you. If you do not help me now, I say fuck you Jobu, I'll do it myself.

gblowfish
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I watched that game. Hell, I was 2000 miles away and knew the guy was out. Really an amazing throw. Too bad Bo didn't just play baseball.

RUSH
05-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I have always wondered what it was like for KC sports fan regarding Bo Jackson. Was it tough to handle since the guy was a Royal and Raider? Did you hate him as a Raider and love him as a Royal? Did you guys treat him as two different athletes? The football player and baseball player?

I'm curious, because I'm not a Royals fan and that's a strange situation for a guy to be on one of your beloved teams and your most hated team at the same time.

Demonpenz
05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
The way I remember it, when bo played, it was far bigger than what team he was playing for. He was that amazing.

Demonpenz
05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I watched that game. Hell, I was 2000 miles away and knew the guy was out. Really an amazing throw. Too bad Bo didn't just play baseball.

signed brian bozworth

Kerberos
05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
He SHOULDNT have gone to the Raiders. That is what gave him the bad karma. You can't be a KC Royal... and a ****ing RAIDER. That's why God threw the hammer down on him.

That being said... I ****ing LOVED Bo. He rocked.

I have always wondered what it was like for KC sports fan regarding Bo Jackson. Was it tough to handle since the guy was a Royal and Raider? Did you hate him as a Raider and love him as a Royal? Did you guys treat him as two different athletes? The football player and baseball player?

I'm curious, because I'm not a Royals fan and that's a strange situation for a guy to be on one of your beloved teams and your most hated team at the same time.

I was at the Chiefs vs Raiders game at Arrowhead back in 88 and Bo went down with an injury and the trainers were walking him to the tunnel around the west endzone and we had seats right by the tunnel.

As soon as he was coming around the corner by the endzone the baseballs started to fly out of the stands almost hitting him multiple times. Funnies sht I ever witnessed.

When they introduced him the BOO's were pretty damn loud so I think it was safe to say KC fans despised the fact he was a "Door knob sniffing, bull dyke fearing flit boy Raider". NTTIAWWT

KCFalcon59 was there too.

penguinz
05-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I was at the Chiefs vs Raiders game at Arrowhead back in 88 and Bo went down with an injury and the trainers were walking him to the tunnel around the west endzone and we had seats right by the tunnel.

As soon as he was coming around the corner by the endzone the baseballs started to fly out of the stands almost hitting him multiple times. Funnies sht I ever witnessed.

KCFalcon59 was there too.I remember being at the Royals game when everyone threw mini footballs at him.

gblowfish
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Fans here would have just LOVED him if he'd played for anybody else but the Raiders (or Broncos). First time Bo played here as a Raider, the Chiefs defense totally shut him down. Deron Cherry had come back from a neck injury, put a big hit on Bo to force a critical fumble. Chiefs D just slammed the door on him. Great win, Bo got hurt that same season I believe...

seclark
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM

When they introduced him the BOO's were pretty damn loud so I think it was safe to say KC fans despised the fact he was a "Door knob sniffing, bull dyke fearing flit boy Raider". NTTIAWWT

i was there too...shitty weather.
sec

rageeumr
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Wow. Maybe that guy should try pitching.

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
The Royals screwed him.:spock: BS When he fucked up his hip, his career was over. He was NOT the same player after that injury.

thebrad84
07-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Dudes got a helluva arm, no doubt...but that was a horrible call on that 2nd throw. That runner was already touching 3rd base when the 3rd baseman caught the ball up at shoulder level. That first throw was a thing of beauty though.

The Rick
07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I remember being at a Royals game one time when Bo caught a fly ball, on the run...bare handed. :eek:

RedNeckRaider
07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
He SHOULDNT have gone to the Raiders. That is what gave him the bad karma. You can't be a KC Royal... and a ****ing RAIDER. That's why God threw the hammer down on him.

That being said... I ****ing LOVED Bo. He rocked.

I guess God forgave George Brett for being a life long Raiders fan

RedNeckRaider
07-03-2009, 08:20 AM

I was there also, staff members from both teams injured...a very proud moment for Arrowhead :rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
07-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Thats when the Royals were a pro team. I miss that.

Fat Elvis
07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I guess God forgave George Brett for being a life long Raiders fan

I dunno. George Brett has severe halitosis and shits his pants a couple of times a year.

mdstu
07-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I always just assumed God punished him with Rush Limbaugh.

KCChiefsMan
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
So many people that never actually saw him play just look at his stats and say "meh...."

But those who did see him play realize the man was just a freak, a force of nature.....

ya, I remember him. He was a man amongst boys out there

huskerdooz
07-03-2009, 03:01 PM
One of the few games we attended while visiting relatives in KC. Did we not also have our pitchers(s) pick off two runners at second during that same game?

I'm curious about this. IIRCC this game was in Seattle. I'm not sure how you could have attended it while visiting KC.

huskerdooz
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I was at that game.

The Royals screwed him.

I'm assuming you were in Seattle at the time.