PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How much time are you going to give Cassel to "Develop"?

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Prior to last season, we discussed in depth last year what it would take to develop Brodie last year. There was all sorts of discussion about whether Chiefs fans were patient enough to develop a franchise QB. IIRC the general consensus was a year to a year and a half for a 3rd year guy with no starts.

What we have in Cassel is a young guy. Whether you like it or not. He's going into his 5th season, but he only has 15 starts. I think he most certainly qualifies as a young guy, and I hope he still has more improvement before he peaks.

So how long do we give him before we move on?

milkman
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
OTAs.

Baconeater
05-03-2009, 11:09 AM
1 preseason game.

Buehler445
I think my take on it is we'll see where we are at the end of the year. I'm hoping they don't sign him to a long term contract and we can see what he does this year. They can franchise him prior to FA and then we can negotiate a deal.

ChiTown
Develop?

It's go time!

milkman
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
OK, not really.

As you said, he is in his fifth year, and had a full season of games, so he needs to show he's on the right path this season.

DeezNutz
He should already be playing at a HOF level.

But Sanchez gets 14 years.

wazu
He's 27. If last year wasn't enough to "develop" him, then trading for him was an epic failure by Pioli. That doesn't mean I'll throw him away if we struggle on offense early on this year, but it better not be because Cassel is developing. We need to "develop" just about everything else.

J Diddy
05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
He's 27. If last year wasn't enough to "develop" him, then trading for him was an epic failure by Pioli. That doesn't mean I'll throw him away if we struggle on offense early on this year, but it better not be because Cassel is developing. We need to "develop" just about everything else.

I agree with everything in this post. Exactly.

Fritz88
05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
2 years to fully develop.

The Bad Guy
05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd give him one season to get completely comfortable with the supporting cast and Haley's offense.

Baconeater
05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Eh, I was being facetious, although I don't really think he should need all that much time to "develop" per se. So while I won't have much patience for "rookie type" mistakes, some consideration has to be given for his lack of a supporting cast.

LaChapelle
05-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Remember butterfingers will be his #1 reciever. Someone will need to be assigned to count dropped balls.

JuicesFlowing
05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Yesterday.

doomy3
05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, with the talent level as it appears around him, I'm not sure what people are expecting for this year. I'm hoping he gets comfortable this year, and then we can fill some holes next offseason. So, I guess I would say one year based on the supporting cast around him.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Remember butterfingers will be his #1 reciever. Someone will need to be assigned to count dropped balls.

I actually think Bowe greatly improves in this regard this season. I expect a huge year from him.

el borracho
05-03-2009, 11:29 AM
In 2009 he needs to perform well enough to convince me the trade wasn't an epic mistake. QB rating above 80, 24 or more touchdowns, 18 or fewer interceptions, completion percentage around 60%.

I'm assuming his supporting cast (Oline and Receivers) in 2010 will be better than 2009 so, whatever his 2009 stats, he needs to take one giant step forward in 2010 and have us in the playoffs.

chiefzilla1501
Well, with the talent level as it appears around him, I'm not sure what people are expecting for this year. I'm hoping he gets comfortable this year, and then we can fill some holes next offseason. So, I guess I would say one year based on the supporting cast around him.

Agreed. New system. Rebuilding team. Poor supporting cast. If he has an epic collapse, that's one thing. But we need to be very careful to not give up on him if it's the guys around him that are making mistakes.

whoman69
He will have times where he makes young mistakes, but as far as a learning curve that should already be done. Remember Derek Anderson backtracked quite a bit last year. With our line still not fixed and a poor group of receivers, we may have similar issues. That said, he's our quarterback until its clear that he's not.

LaChapelle
05-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I actually think Bowe greatly improves in this regard this season. I expect a huge year from him.

Tony G kept Huard and Thigpen a float. That may have been a bad thing in retrospect.

Hog Farmer
05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
His most friendly target is now a god damn Falcon.

Other than that.

This thread is stupid !

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Tony G kept Huard and Thigpen a float. That may have been a bad thing in retrospect.

Haley's offense will put a great emphasis on the WR position, so I think the transition will be natural.

In this regard, Cassel will be nothing like Thigpen, since the former was used to spreading it out wide in NE.

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
So the jist I'm getting is that he needs to produce from the beginning? :spock:

I agree that he will step back as a result of the talent available. I also agree that it would not be positive for him to regress much more than that as a rookie may.

I think we need to remember that he has started 15 games in the last 9 years (assuming he redshirted). His consistency may not be where we are expecting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Also, how much of a step back can we expect from going from a Belichick preparation to a first year head coach?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:23 PM
We must go get a good wide receiver or our offense will look like shit this year

Chiefnj2
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Cassel won 11 games last year. It's more of a question of developing the team than it is one particular player.

LaChapelle
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I expect LJ being better at catching passes. The last couple of years the passes went more to his feet than hands(Thigpen was horrible, Huard played in fear). He wasn't bad when Green was tossing it.

SenselessChiefsFan
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Prior to last season, we discussed in depth last year what it would take to develop Brodie last year. There was all sorts of discussion about whether Chiefs fans were patient enough to develop a franchise QB. IIRC the general consensus was a year to a year and a half for a 3rd year guy with no starts.

What we have in Cassel is a young guy. Whether you like it or not. He's going into his 5th season, but he only has 15 starts. I think he most certainly qualifies as a young guy, and I hope he still has more improvement before he peaks.

This is a complex question because there are several levels to it.

#1) I expect Cassel to be a solid, if not spectacular veteran THIS year. But, I also expect him to get better.

#2) I expect Cassel to struggle at times this year through no fault of his own. He will be in a new system, and on a new team. There will be some adjustment for that.

#3) Tying into the point above, the entire team will be different on offense. I know Gailey was here last year and many of the same offensive principles will be the same, but with Haley there will certainly be differences.

In the end, guys looking to criticize will have plenty to point out whether it is his fault or not. And, those who want to support him will probably have plenty to point to.

Much like Trent Green struggled in his first year, I expect similar from Cassel.

SenselessChiefsFan
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
We must go get a good wide receiver or our offense will look like shit this year

I think Bradley just needs to stay healthy.

RustShack
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
He developed sitting those years behind Brady.

WhitiE
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
if he dosent have a good year this year he better come out on fire next year..... otherwise cya!

chief52
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM
He is totally developed. Not saying he can not improve, but he is ready for the fire. Polished and ready... His mistakes will not be due to inexperience, they will just be mistakes.

the Talking Can
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM
he's already failed, get over it

wild1
05-03-2009, 12:55 PM
He's a second year QB. I will judge him as such.

I think he's going to be good, and that will disappoint a great many people.

KCrockaholic
05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Ill give him a year and a half. But I expect him to put up great numbers this year anyway. I expect around 25 TD's and 10 picks.

chasedude
05-03-2009, 02:10 PM
If he stays healthy, he's doing better than last year.

Noss
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM

The answer will be clear after the game on September 13, 2009.

If he wins he is good to go as starter the rest of the season.

If he losses then should have drafted Sanchez. :thumb:

BigChiefFan
05-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Through the 1st quarter...

of the preseason.

JuicesFlowing
05-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Since he doesn't have Moss and Welker (OR Gonzo), let's assume his number's won't be as good. That doesn't mean he'll be a failure this year.

alanm
05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
According to Chiefs Planet if he doesn't light it up in preseason he's a bust. :thumb:

the Talking Can
05-03-2009, 02:20 PM
i'm curious to see what this staff thinks of Charles and how he fits in the system....

Brock
05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
He was bought as a finished product. There shouldn't be any development time involved beyond slight improvements here and there.

RustShack
05-03-2009, 02:23 PM
If he stays healthy, he's doing better than last year.

Seriously? His supporting cast here is terrible compared to what he had last year.

beach tribe
05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I give him to the last qtr of the season. The last 4 games he should be showing his true self, that also depends on protection. If he has absolutely zero time(3 se. or less), I will give him alittle more time.

chasedude
05-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Seriously? His supporting cast here is terrible compared to what he had last year.

What I meant to say was... If he stays healthy, he's already ahead of our QB situation last year.

Just a :Poke: at Croyle is all.

MTG#10
05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
By game 8 I expect him to be as good or better than Trent was in his prime.

PastorMikH
05-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Time????

The guy better be developed NOW!!!

If he doesn't look like the next coming of Joe Montana infused with a Brett Favre arm by his first game in preseason I'm done with him!!!!

And I don't care how many TDs he throws, one INT and I'm done with him!!!

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
He needs to be playing well by Mid season. We arent expected to compete much this year anyways, so i would say 8 or so games before they get their offense going.

kstater
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
He needs to win the SB this year./Frankie

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 03:04 PM
whoooooops wrong thread.

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
This thread ended a while ago...

vvvvvvvvvvvv
^^^^^^^^^

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
He should already be playing at a HOF level.

But Sanchez gets 14 years.

Sanchez gets two years, just like Cutler.

We went with the "proven commodity" for the Kansas City Chiefs, so to put it bluntly:

"Time to make the donuts motherfucker, and we're all hungry for breakfast".

RustShack
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
If hes not ready yet lets just sign Favre.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM

And Emmit Smith. The League Of Metamucil is now complete.

Valiant
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Should be in form by season opener..

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Anyone that is saying he needs to come in immediately and be the second coming of Montana is crazy. Any time a player comes into a new scheme, there's going to be an adjustment period. QB is probably the worst position for this. He's working with a completely new playbook, terminology, and supporting cast. I don't think any QB could come in and look like he's done this for years.

That being said, the adjustment period should be completely over by week 6 or so. After that, I think it's fair to judge him as you would any other QB.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Who cares how long you or anyone else "gives" him?

Not our decision

That being said, he's not a developmental project.
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Anyone that is saying he needs to come in immediately and be the second coming of Montana is crazy. Any time a player comes into a new scheme, there's going to be an adjustment period. QB is probably the worst position for this. He's working with a completely new playbook, terminology, and supporting cast. I don't think any QB could come in and look like he's done this for years.

That being said, the adjustment period should be completely over by week 6 or so. After that, I think it's fair to judge him as you would any other QB.

That's how I'm looking at it.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Who cares how long you or anyone else "gives" him?

Not our decision

That being said, he's not a developmental project.
Posted via Mobile Device

Holy shit, call Maury; it's a fucking breakthrough!

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Time????

The guy better be developed NOW!!!

If he doesn't look like the next coming of Joe Montana infused with a Brett Favre arm by his first game in preseason I'm done with him!!!!

And I don't care how many TDs he throws, one INT and I'm done with him!!!

That about sums it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Holy shit, call Maury; it's a fucking breakthrough!

Have we had a Cassel discussion?
Posted via Mobile Device

B_Ambuehl
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Until we sign the far superior Chase McDaniels off the Redskins practice squad as our new starter.

or...

Until the 2010 draft when we draft Tebow as QBOTF.

:)

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
That about sums it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bullshit!

Have we had a Cassel discussion?
Posted via Mobile Device

We are now. "Proven". "Safe".

Well then hit the fucking stage lights, and let's do this thing!

morphius
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Took Green until his second year here, I think that is fair.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Took Green until his second year here, I think that is fair.

I think that's one year too long, and I think if Trent Green is the benchmark we're shooting for; we need a fan base enema.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Cassel took over for Tom Brady and by the end of the season was running it about as efficiently as Brady would have. If you watched the games.

His "developmental" time was early last year.

Now if there are struggles early it will be due to an inferior offense around him and everyone getting on the same page of a new system

But it will have nothing to do with Cassel needing to be developed. He's there.
Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Trent Green learned a system/playbook 1000x harder than this one.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Cassel took over for Tom Brady and by the end of the season was running it about as efficiently as Brady would have. If you watched the games.

His "developmental" time was early last year.

Now if there are struggles early it will be due to an inferior offense around him and everyone getting on the same page of a new system

But it will have nothing to do with Cassel needing to be developed. He's there.
Posted via Mobile Device

You heard him folks! The First Messiah is READY NOW!

(now if those other dipshits can just up their game and serve the Lord faithfully...)ROFL

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 03:59 PM

I never said he wasn't an intelligent game manager.

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 04:01 PM

How do you know? Herm isn't here anymore.

Besides, IMO, the reason he didn't look as good the first year is because the protection wasn't as good until we picked up Roaf and we all know he held onto the ball a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
You heard him folks! The First Messiah is READY NOW!

(now if those other dipshits can just up their game and serve the Lord faithfully...)ROFL

Now now. We know the real Messiah, Mark of Nazareth, is walking on the Hudson River giving sight to the blind.
He will rebuild the World Trade Center in 3 days.

So let's get this straight. All along through the draft you've been crying the talent level on the team sucks. But now you are saying the cast around Cassel is just fine.

Make up your mind please.
Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
How do you know? Herm isn't here anymore.

Besides, IMO, the reason he didn't look as good the first year is because the protection wasn't as good until we picked up Roaf and we all know he held onto the ball a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gailey is still here.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Now now. We know the real Messiah, Mark of Nazareth, is walking on the Hudson River giving sight to the blind.
He will rebuild the World Trade Center in 3 days.

So let's get this straight. All along through the draft you've been crying the talent level on the team sucks. But now you are saying the cast around Cassel is just fine.

Make up your mind please.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back to topic, Pioli-san; Cassel is Pro Bowl ready, but his potential failure can be blamed solely on his supporting cast now?
Okeeday.

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Gailey is still here.

I would bet a tremendous amount of money the offense changes significantly. What we ran last year was no where near what he ran for Pittsburgh.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Gailey is here in name only, at best as a consultant. Haley is going to put his offense in.

RufusRJones
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
According to Malcolm Gladwell's theories, this isn't going to turn out well for the Chiefs. He's about eight years behind on starts, so in theory he's going to need eight years to catch up with anyone who started all four years in college and played in the NFL for the last five.

I'm not sure I agree with it, but I was trying to come up with someone else who had played few games by his age and succeeded...I'm not sure there is anyone. So, whoever said he's already failed is probably right.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Back to topic, Pioli-san; Cassel is Pro Bowl ready, but his potential failure can be blamed solely on his supporting cast now?
Okeeday.

Back on topic.
Are you saying if you put a Pro Bowl QB on a shitty ass team they are going to win?

You need to make up your mind. Are the Chiefs the awful team you say, or are they perfectly capable of winning its just they lacked a qb?
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:18 PM
According to Malcolm Gladwell's theories, this isn't going to turn out well for the Chiefs. He's about eight years behind on starts, so in theory he's going to need eight years to catch up with anyone who started all four years in college and played in the NFL for the last five.

I'm not sure I agree with it, but I was trying to come up with someone else who had played few games by his age and succeeded...I'm not sure there is anyone. So, whoever said he's already failed is probably right.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!ROFL

(seriously, I hope you wore your chastity belt to the Planet today)

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM

That's moronic. he would failed last year if that was the case.
And if you say it was "Moss and Welker" then you didn't watch the games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Back on topic.
Are you saying if you put a Pro Bowl QB on a shitty ass team they are going to win?

You need to make up your mind. Are the Chiefs the awful team you say, or are they perfectly capable of winning its just they lacked a qb?
Posted via Mobile Device

I never said the entire team was awful turdwhacker, I've said the same things everyone else has said regarding the O-line( namely right tackle needs help ), and that we need another top-tier receiver to replace the departed TG.

So, should we have just kept Thigpen as the starter, or is The Messiah going to make chicken salad and get us a few more wins this year?

Back to you, Bob.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
I never said the entire team was awful turdwhacker, I've said the same things everyone else has said regarding the O-line( namely right tackle needs help ), and that we need another top-tier receiver to replace the departed TG.

So, should we have just kept Thigpen as the starter, or is The Messiah going to make chicken salad and get us a few more wins this year?

Back to you, Bob.

Definately Cassel instead of Thigpen would have won 3 or 4 of those games last year

I'm just saying if people think Cassel alone is going to win the Super Bowl next year they are nuts. And if you expect Pioli to do it one year that is nuts too.

Have reasonable expectations.

What are your expectations for 2009?
Posted via Mobile Device

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm beginning to think he doesn't even like the Chiefs...

rad
05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I think that's one year too long, and I think if Trent Green is the benchmark we're shooting for; we need a fan base enema.

I think he meant the situation, not talent.

I thought Trent knew the DV/AS playbook already? That's why they traded for him.....

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Definately Cassel instead of Thigpen would have won 3 or 4 of those games last year

I'm just saying if people think Cassel alone is going to win the Super Bowl next year they are nuts. And if you expect Pioli to do it one year that is nuts too.

Posted via Mobile Device

If we miraculously sign Bolden, 5 to 6. If not, 4 to 5 wins.

I'm beginning to think he doesn't even like the Chiefs...

Mmmm...glug-glug-glug!
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IY3cx3U0gYE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

LaChapelle
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
If Cassel just has to live up to prior Chief 2nd round picks. He just needs to show up in shape ROFL

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I think he meant the situation, not talent.

You are correct. I think.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
If we miraculously sign Bolden, 5 to 6. If not, 4 to 5 wins.

Mmmm...glug-glug-glug!
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IY3cx3U0gYE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Ok so if they win 4 or 5 games next season then will have Cassel have met your expectations?

Or will the Gang Green be saying its all Cassels fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
If Cassel just has to live up to prior Chief 2nd round picks. He just needs to show up in shape ROFL

Some people like to think that Cassel was traded for more than a 2nd round pick.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok so if they win 4 or 5 games next season then will have Cassel have met your expectations?

Or will the Gang Green be saying its all Cassels fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

The TEAM will have met my expectations. Cassel's performance will be easily graded by the decisions he makes and how he handles the ball. Great thing about that NFL camera-angle; he's the star of the show and every move is visible, yes?

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Some people like to think that Cassel was traded for more than a 2nd round pick.

But...but..."SIXTH ROUND"!

Deberg_1990
05-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Ill go with 5 wins. Same number as Pioli and Bellie had in 2000 in New England.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:57 PM
The TEAM will have met my expectations. Cassel's performance will be easily graded by the decisions he makes and how he handles the ball. Great thing about that NFL camera-angle; he's the star of the show and every move is visible, yes?

Ok so if he plays well and has an Archie Manning with the Saints experience for a while you're not going to be knee-jerk about it and blame it all on one guy?
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok so if he plays well and has an Archie Manning with the Saints experience for a while you're not going to be knee-jerk about it and blame it all on one guy?
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me make this as crystal clear as I possibly can:

I expect the Kansas City Chiefs to be play off bound with a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl victory in the Year Of Our Lord Jesus GM, 2011.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Let me make this as crystal clear as I possibly can:

I expect the Kansas City Chiefs to be play off bound with a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl victory in the Year Of Our Lord Jesus GM, 2011.

The way the NFL is set up that is not unreasonable.

Fair enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

FringeNC
05-03-2009, 05:25 PM
You don't give a guy $15 million and give up essentially a late first round draft choice unless he's ready to go now. I trust Pioli's judgment on this one, but if Cassel sucks, Pioli deserves the criticism he will receive on here.

Discussions about QBs on here tend to be one of two ridiculous extremes: Either defense-first, play-not-lose types, or guys that think QBs are defined by physical skills. This league is all about the QB, but what defines a championship QB is intangibles for the most part.

milkman
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM

Oh hell no.

Favre is the most overrated hack at QB ever.

Chiefaholic
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I'de say he'll start in a similar fashion that Trent Green did in KC. Trent had a great O-Line, but no offensive threats to throw to. Cassel has a below average O-Line and only one legitimate target down field. Trent had the upper hand in talent to start with.

Just Passin' By
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Last season, only 7 quarterbacks threw for 25 touchdowns or more, and every one of them had a quality offense around them. Cassel was tied for 10th in the league with 21 touchdown passes, meaning that all but 11 NFL quarterbacks threw for fewer than 20 touchdowns. When you add that to the current offensive cast, expecting 20+ TD passes as a baseline is just going to lead to disappointment.

Much like the team, I'd evaluate Cassel's season based on improvement throughout the season. With the schedule the Chiefs have and the lousy starting point Pioli & Company had coming in, looking for definitive numbers is going to make for a long season in Kansas City. The franchise that everyone looks to in comparisons would be New England and, with Gonzalez gone, I'm not sure that even one player (offense or defense) on Kansas City could start for the Patriots if the season began today (Albert v. Light or Kazcur (rt) would be the best possibility I can think of).

I'd expect that Pioli and Haley will focus more on signs of progress than on anything tangible. Fans should probably do the same thing, or it could become a very long season.

Baconeater
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh hell no.

John Madden will be knocking on your door any minute lookin' for a piece of you...

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
John Madden will be knocking on your door any minute lookin' for a piece of you...

http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/favre-madden-wedding.jpg

Deberg_1990
05-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh hell no.

Yes, two Super Bowl appearances = a hack QB

KCChiefsFan88
05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
It will be hard for Cassel to be productive if the Chiefs don't upgrade the current group of WRs/TE's he has to work with.

Mr. Krab
05-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm sure the people that are still crying because we didn't get Mark Sanchez won't give him much time at all. Fuck 'em.

KcFanInGA
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd give him one season to get completely comfortable with the supporting cast and Haley's offense.

Yes sir, that sounds about right.

KcFanInGA
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Last season, only 7 quarterbacks threw for 25 touchdowns or more, and every one of them had a quality offense around them. Cassel was tied for 10th in the league with 21 touchdown passes, meaning that all but 11 NFL quarterbacks threw for fewer than 20 touchdowns. When you add that to the current offensive cast, expecting 20+ TD passes as a baseline is just going to lead to disappointment.

Much like the team, I'd evaluate Cassel's season based on improvement throughout the season. With the schedule the Chiefs have and the lousy starting point Pioli & Company had coming in, looking for definitive numbers is going to make for a long season in Kansas City. The franchise that everyone looks to in comparisons would be New England and, with Gonzalez gone, I'm not sure that even one player (offense or defense) on Kansas City could start for the Patriots if the season began today (Albert v. Light or Kazcur (rt) would be the best possibility I can think of).
I'd expect that Pioli and Haley will focus more on signs of progress than on anything tangible. Fans should probably do the same thing, or it could become a very long season.

I would argue that Cassel's first season numbers were better than Peyton Mannings in his first year, plus his int's were lower. You are right about expectations for this year, Im excited for the season but I know I have to temper my expectations as well.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm sure the people that are still crying because we didn't get Mark Sanchez won't give him much time at all. Fuck 'em.

I'm sure that most of us who supported Mark realize he's gone to New York, that Scott chose the proven commodity in Cassel, and will expect Cassel to perform as such while simultaneously telling YOUR ilk to drink anti freeze at your earliest motherfucking convenience.

Sir.

StcChief
05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
considering he performed well... have Moss and a good O/D team in N.E. helped.
Give him 2009 with our in transition rebuilding team.

Von Dumbass
05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, two Super Bowl appearances = a hack QB

And 3 straight league MVP's in the mid/late 90's.

LTL
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM

if TT can account for 18 tds and 3 more running in less than a full season then I don't think its out of the question for Cassel to at least equal the total number of TDs that TT had combined. 22 to 23 TDs isn't asking alot for a guy that is suposed to be better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
if TT can account for 18 tds and 3 more running in less than a full season then I don't think its out of the question for Cassel to at least equal the total number of TDs that TT had combined. 22 to 23 TDs isn't asking alot for a guy that is suposed to be better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Given the reality of NFL football, it's asking quite a bit, obviously. Less than 1/3 of the NFL's quarterbacks did it last year. 11 did it in 2007, 8 in 2006, 8 in 2005 and 10 in 2004. Expecting a QB to do it with the supporting cast the Chiefs currently has is simply asking for disappointment. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's too high a bar to set as a minimum standard.

Again using the New England comparison, the Patriots had 21 rushing TDs and 21 passing TDs. Haley's coming over from the Cardinals, who were 31/14 in favor of passing, but they had the worst running game in the NFL (fewest yards, fewest carries, 2nd worst y/att) and a tremendous receiving corps. The Chiefs had 23 passing TDs but only 9 rushing TDs, and had the 4th fewest rushing attempts in the NFL. That skews things.

doomy3
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm sure that most of us who supported Mark realize he's gone to New York, that Scott chose the proven commodity in Cassel, and will expect Cassel to perform as such while simultaneously telling YOUR ilk to drink anti freeze at your earliest mother****ing convenience.

Sir.

Like he said, fuck em.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Like he said, fuck em.

"Cocktails are served".

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/raisedonriots/PRESTONECOCKTAIL.png

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I Christen the Sanchez lovers from henceforth as GANG GREEN as they will all be Jets groupies now.
Posted via Mobile Device

rad
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Oooh......How 'bout "GangBang Green"?

OnTheWarpath58
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Personally, I have to give him a much shorter leash than I would have Stafford or Sanchez, for the same reason I was told by so many here why he was the better choice than those two:

He has NFL experience.

I see a lot of Cassel backers already starting with the excuses for when he's not up to expectations.

No flip-flopping now, boys - you have who you wanted. Hopefully Pioli is at least smart enough to hold off on signing him to a long term deal until he proves he's not just another Derek Anderson.

Problem is, that if he is another DA, we have no one to replace him, a ridiculously shitty QB class in 2010 (at this moment) and would likely have to burn another draft pick to trade for a replacement.

Though I wouldn't give him more than a year or a year and a half, I have to think that Pioli will give him much more time than that. He's tied to Cassel, and unless we were able to flip him for as high a pick as we sent NE for him, I see Pioli riding it out if he's DA, Part II.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I Christen the Sanchez lovers from henceforth as GANG GREEN as they will all be Jets groupies now.
Posted via Mobile Device

That certainly sounds cooler than the "Ballwash Always Cassel, Keep Saying Lame Idiotic Drivel Ever Righteously", or "BACKSLIDER's" for short.

I have a strong, sixth-sense feeling that "BACKSLIDER's" will be very appropriate for you and your ilk should Cassel ultimately bomb.

Or perhaps "Crew In Charge Of Goal Post"? :eek::D

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Personally, I have to give him a much shorter leash than I would have Stafford or Sanchez, for the same reason I was told by so many here why he was the better choice than those two:

He has NFL experience.

I see a lot of Cassel backers already starting with the excuses for when he's not up to expectations.

No flip-flopping now, boys - you have who you wanted. Hopefully Pioli is at least smart enough to hold off on signing him to a long term deal until he proves he's not just another Derek Anderson.

Problem is, that if he is another DA, we have no one to replace him, a ridiculously shitty QB class in 2010 (at this moment) and would likely have to burn another draft pick to trade for a replacement.

Though I wouldn't give him more than a year or a year and a half, I have to think that Pioli will give him much more time than that. He's tied to Cassel, and unless we were able to flip him for as high a pick as we sent NE for him, I see Pioli riding it out if he's DA, Part II.

Would you believe you just got repped? :clap::D

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Trent Green a good QB and he sucked his first season here. Give Cassel a few seasons although most fans will bash him after the first pre-season game. Half this board says Dorsey is a bust after one season.

ArrowheadMagic
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM

He has NFL experience.

Though I wouldn't give him more than a year or a year and a half, I have to think that Pioli will give him much more time than that. He's tied to Cassel, im, I see Pioli riding it out if he's DA, Part II.
Most fans are in a wait and see regarding Cassel. There's risk in putting your franchise in the hands of any QB. His "development" will be ultimately judged on wins and losses, he takes over a team that lacks talent. I'll back him until he proves the job is too much for him to handle. He has obvious weaknesses but think Haley and Gailey can mask those for the time being.

TEX
05-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Trent Green a good QB and he sucked his first season here. Give Cassel a few seasons although most fans will bash him after the first pre-season game. Half this board says Dorsey is a bust after one season.

I agree when it comes to Cassel, pecially since our roster is cr@p. And Herm said we were 85% there. ROFL

Dorsry does BLOW though...:doh!:

ArrowheadMagic
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
That certainly sounds cooler than the "Ballwash Always Cassel, Keep Saying Lame Idiotic Drivel Ever Righteously", or "BACKSLIDER's" for short.

I have a strong, sixth-sense feeling that "BACKSLIDER's" will be very appropriate for you and your ilk should Cassel ultimately bomb.

Or perhaps "Crew In Charge Of Goal Post"? :eek::D All you know is ball washing. Whether it be guys on here or the only college QB you know of.

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree when it comes to Cassel, pecially since our roster is cr@p. And Herm said we were 85% there. ROFL

Dorsry does BLOW though...:doh!:

This post is silly.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
All you know is ball washing. Whether it be guys on here or the only college QB you know of.

Eat shit beak; I know a 6'5" Quarterback that's going to introduce you and yours to another phrase involving balls:

"We just unexpectedly got our balls kicked up our throats".

Chiefaholic
05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
How does Cassel develope chemistry when Bowe is double covered and the O-Line gives him no more than 2.3 seconds to drop back, check off, and deliver an accurate pass? This offense is far more than just one player away from being a legitimate offensive threat again. Pass protection and another legitimate threat downfield is needed befor chemistry can even be developed between Cassel and his WR's.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
How does Cassel develope chemistry when Bowe is double covered and the O-Line gives him no more than 2.3 seconds to drop back, check off, and deliver an accurate pass? This offense is far more than just one player away from being a legitimate offensive threat again. Pass protection and another legitimate threat downfield is needed befor chemistry can even be developed between Cassel and his WR's.

One elite receiver, a legitimate right tackle, and a running game; those are the deficiencies as they currently stand.

rad
05-03-2009, 11:05 PM
One elite receiver, a legitimate right tackle, and a running game; those are the deficiencies as they currently stand.

That's it?

LMAO That's sad.

Don't forget a defense that may force us to play catch-up every week.

ArrowheadMagic
05-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Eat shit beak; I know a 6'5" Quarterback that's going to introduce you and yours to another phrase involving balls:

"We just unexpectedly got our balls kicked up our throats".blah blah, the internet tough guy act has ran its course. Its okay that you dont have much football knowledge.... embrace that fact.... enough people are on here to help you.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
That's it?

LMAO That's sad.

Don't forget a defense that may force us to play catch-up every week.

We were discussing offensive shortcomings but yes, the defense may or may not improve.

I'm listing what Cassel needs on his side of the ball to be competitive on offense without excuse.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 11:21 PM
blah blah, the internet tough guy act has ran its course. Its okay that you dont have much football knowledge.... embrace that fact.... enough people are on here to help you.

What in thee fuck are you talking about, asshole?
People see things certain ways, people of like mind agree. If I didn't have a working knowledge of the game, I'd be called on it daily. So I choose to do some advanced learning from people who know what they're talking about; what the fuck is it to you?
If they happen to be people you disagree with philosophically, well, you take's life's entertainment and bonuses where ya' finds 'em!

When you're finished talking out of your ass, feel free to join the conversation. Until then, STFU

Chiefaholic
05-03-2009, 11:25 PM

Did you watch any games last year? Sounds to me your only purpose here is to bitch and complain while ignoring the obvious.

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Did you watch any games last year? Sounds to me your only purpose here is to bitch and complain while ignoring the obvious.

1) Yes.

2) My purpose here is to form and have an opinion.

3) The obvious? Do tell.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2009, 11:30 PM
lol the guy who has to use fake IP's cause he threatend to beat someone up on here knows alot about football. comedy

Chiefaholic
05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
1) Yes.

2) My purpose here is to form and have an opinion.

3) The obvious? Do tell.

Is this one of GoChiefs multiple personalities?

Raised On Riots
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Is this one of GoChiefs multiple personalities?

If it pleases you, sure.

lol the guy who has to use fake IP's cause he threatend to beat someone up on here knows alot about football. comedy

And with that gem of wisdom from your spokesman "Billay", I bid this thread "good lord, fuck me", and out.:rolleyes: