PDA

View Full Version : Royals Kansas City Royals @ Minnesota Twins Game Thread (5/3)

Pages : [1] 2 3

alnorth
05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
<table border=3 cellpadding = 4>
<tr>
<td>Final</td> <td> 1 </td> <td> 2 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 4 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 6 </td><td> 7 </td><td> 8 </td><td> 9 </td><td> R </td><td> H </td><td> E </td></tr>
<tr> <td>KC (14-11)</td> <td> 0 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 7 </td><td> 10 </td><td> 3 </td></tr>
<tr> <td>MIN (12-13)</td> <td> 1 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 2 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 10 </td><td> 0 </td></tr>
</table>

Scott Baker had a no-hitter through 6 innings, broken up by Willie Bloomquist in the 7th with a single to center.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/kan.gif

Win, (2-2) Gil Meche 6IP 4R 4ER 2BB 3K
Hold, (1) Horacio Ramirez 1IP 0R 0ER 0BB 2K
Hold, (3) Jamey Wright 1IP 0R 0ER 0BB 2K
Save, (6) Joakim Soria 1IP 1R 0ER 0BB 0K

VS.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/min.gif

Loss, (0-4) Scott Baker 6IP 5R 5ER 1BB 4K
Blown Save, (3) Luis Ayala 1IP 0R 0ER 0BB 0K
R.A. Dickey 2IP 2R 2ER 2BB 1K

Starting Lineups

KC

1. Coco Crisp, CF
2. Willie Bloomquist, SS
3. Mark Teahen, 3B
4. Jose Guillen, DH
5. Mike Jacobs, 1B
5. Billy Butler, 1B
6. David DeJesus, LF
7. Alberto Callaspo, 2B
8. John Buck, C
9. Mitch Maier, RF

MIN

1. Denard Span, CF
2. Brendan Harris, 2B
2. Joe Mauer, ph
2. Alexi Casilla, pr
3. Justin Morneau, 1B
4. Jason Kubel, DH
5. Michael Cuddyer, RF
6. Brian Buscher, 3B
7. Delmon Young, LF
8. Jose Morales, C
9. Nick Punto, SS

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
yay! alnorth is here to save the day. I hope I kept the mojo cookin for you.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
On paper, this match-up looks promising.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice job yesterday ari.

I'd like to propose something to the guys who frequent these threads. Would you guys be okay with a a Royals ( non game threads) thread. It could be a repository of all things Royals for 2009. Minor league watch, stadium stuff, trade rumors, AL Central rumors, Pete-isms, ranyontheroyals and anything not related to the actual game thread. It would allow us to keep tabs on the "Hochevar watch" and stay abreast of latest news.

I have been kicking this around for a few weeks and I think it would be a good idea so we could consolidate our Royals news.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Nice job yesterday ari.

I'd like to propose something to the guys who frequent these threads. Would you guys be okay with a a Royals ( non game threads) thread. It could be a repository of all things Royals for 2009. Minor league watch, stadium stuff, trade rumors, AL Central rumors, Pete-isms, ranyontheroyals and anything not related to the actual game thread. It would allow us to keep tabs on the "Hochevar watch" and stay abreast of latest news.

I have been kicking this around for a few weeks and I think it would be a good idea so we could consolidate our Royals news.

FWIW, I think this would be a great idea.

Much better than just dumping news into the most recent game thread. Also, we're getting close to draft time, so this will soon become a major point of discussion.

KChiefs1
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Nice job yesterday ari.

:thumb:

Delano
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Good Lord, Scott Baker is fucking due for a quality start.

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Ya, what happened to Baker???

Mr. Arrowhead
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I dont care what the numbers say right now, Baker seems like he always give us problems

KCUnited
05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Everybody clap your hands...

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
First, I'd love a Royals thread. Hopefully the team will keep us buzzing about them for the whole season. I'd definitely frequent that.

Second, while this matchup looks good on paper, I always get scared by these games. Obviously the Twins are a tough opponent and the Dome is not an easy place to pitch in. But like Delano said, Baker's due for a good start and our lineup is due to cool down soon. Meche's back is a concern as well.

Ok, now that I've thrown cold water all over this game, I hope we can get 'er done and win the series.

Reaper16
05-03-2009, 10:41 AM
So, I wasn't in the game thread last night, nor have I looked at it. I presume it was an epic thread.

I did see the game, though, from the bar I was at celebrating my graduation. Hopefully the momentum from last night will spill over into today's performance.

Delano
Ya, what happened to Baker???

He had some right shoulder issue earlier that placed him on the 15 day DL.

He is giving up a lot of runs and his WHIP is 1.70. :(

Decent K/BB ratio, but wow, 7 homers in 3 games.

alnorth
Scott Baker Career VS. the Royals: 5-2, 2.60 ERA, 0.882 WHIP, 0.512 Opp. OPS

Delano
05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
So, I wasn't in the game thread last night, nor have I looked at it. I presume it was an epic thread.

I did see the game, though, from the bar I was at celebrating my graduation. Hopefully the momentum from last night will spill over into today's performance.

I don't know if either team can pull momentum from that clusterfuck of a game.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM
FWIW, I think this would be a great idea.

Much better than just dumping news into the most recent game thread. Also, we're getting close to draft time, so this will soon become a major point of discussion.

Okay, I'll wait until we have some more regulars chime in to giv ethe OK and we'll start it after that.

BTW, I was perusing ROTR and one post mentioned a A ball pitcher for our Burlington club.

Blaine Hardy, a LH, has pitched 18 innings in A ball. He's K'd 25 and walked zero. 0-2, 2.89 ERA.

Biography:
Selected by the Kansas City Royals out of the University of Portland in the 22nd round (No. 655 overall) of the June 2008 First-Year Player Draft.
Highlights:2008
Made his professional debut and spent the entire season with the Idaho Falls Chukars of the (Rookie-level) Pioneer League...went 1-0 with four saves in 21 relief appearances...posted a 4.15 ERA, striking out 34 and walking eight over 34 2/3 innings...first professional win came in third outing June 24, as he held Ogden hitless, walking one and fanning two over three innings...first pro save came in sixth outing July 10, as he held Helena hitless, walking one while fanning two over two innings...did not allow a run in 12 of 21 appearances, including five straight outings Aug. 4-18, in which he gave up two hits and struck out 12 over 7 2/3 innings...struck out a season-high five Aug. 10 during that run, as he picked up a save with two perfect innings vs. Billings.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Congrats!

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Scott Baker Career VS. the Royals: 5-2, 2.60 ERA, 0.882 WHIP, 0.512 Opp. OPS

This isn't scientific, but here's my take on Baker:

F him. :)

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Blaine Hardy, a LH, has pitched 18 innings in A ball. He's K'd 25 and walked zero. 0-2, 2.89 ERA.

:eek:

'08 draft has the potential to be a key turning point for this organization. Continue to pursue top amateur talent like this and we're going to be a consistently good team.

Tough to even fathom this, after so many fruitless years...

Delano
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Baker got hammered in his first game against those fucking bruisers in Toronto.

The Red Sox also smashed him up with 3 homers and 6 ER in 4 and 2/3 innings.

In his last start against Tampa, he was decent - gave up 4 ER in 6 innings pitched. 7/1 K/BB and a 1.17 WHIP in this game.

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but Hochevar got another win.

His line for the game:
7 IP, 0ER, 2H, 2BB, 5K's

For the season:
5-0, 1.13 ERA, 1CG, 32IP, 4ER, 10BB, 21K, .213avg. against.

See ya soon, Mr. Hochevar!

alnorth
05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
interesting lineup today.

Buck in for Olivo, Jacobs in for Butler, Guillen DH'ing.

Finally, here's another data point in favor of the "Hillman is not an idiot" movement. He's giving Aviles the day off today, which means we have to suffer through TPJ at the plate today, right? Nope, Bloomquist is starting there.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 10:55 AM
interesting lineup today.

Buck in for Olivo, Jacobs in for Butler, Guillen DH'ing.

Finally, here's another data point in favor of the "Hillman is not an idiot" movement. He's giving Aviles the day off today, which means we have to suffer through TPJ at the plate today, right? Nope, Bloomquist is starting there.

Is Pena hurt, though?

KCUnited
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Buck makes sense for the 1 o'clock. Grienke wants Olivo tomorrow. Olivo got a workout last night.

CaliforniaChief
Interesting lineup. So what happens when Alex Gordon comes back? I hope Callaspo isn't the casualty there....he's a big part of our offense. I like how he puts it in play. Thoughts?

BigRock
TPJ TO THE DL

A NATION IN MOURNING

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Interesting lineup. So what happens when Alex Gordon comes back? I hope Callaspo isn't the casualty there....he's a big part of our offense. I like how he puts it in play. Thoughts?

Gordon to 1B

Butler and Jacobs to DH.

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Just noticed no Mauer today. Thank goodness he's a catcher on a day game after a night game. I'll be ready for the dreaded pinch-hit though. Go Royals!

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Gordon to 1B

Butler and Jacobs to DH.

Ya know that's probably a good bet...although Billy's really forming into shape as a 1B. And I'll bet Jacobs heats up soon too.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Anybody have news on how Gordon's rehab is going? I'd think he's going to do an extended stint somewhere before returning.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Ya know that's probably a good bet...although Billy's really forming into shape as a 1B. And I'll bet Jacobs heats up soon too.

Talk on the radio, just speculation by Petro and others, was that someone would need to be traded: Gordon, Teahen, Butler, Jacobs.

Butterball has impressed me with his D at 1B.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Okay, I'll wait until we have some more regulars chime in to giv ethe OK and we'll start it after that.

BTW, I was perusing ROTR and one post mentioned a A ball pitcher for our Burlington club.

My only thought is that any really big news should be allowed to have its own thread. Any trades that arent irrelevant, Billy Butler broke his leg and is out 2+ months, etc. That way, some casual fans who dont want to follow a Royals megathread will know what happened and wont have to dig for details.

Mr. Krab
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Leave Gordon in Triple A "rehab" until he learns how to hit.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
WTI - Great idea on the Royals thread. Yesterday was more annoying because we had two game day threads with discussions going in them.

Nightfyre
05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Royals subforum. Just sayin.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Talk on the radio, just speculation by Petro and others, was that someone would need to be traded: Gordon, Teahen, Butler, Jacobs.

Butterball has impressed me with his D at 1B.

We cant trade Teahen, his offense has been coming around and he can super-sub anywhere on the field except SS and catcher.

More importantly, I'm one of those people who got a Teahen jersey after that good year he had a while back.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
We cant trade Teahen, his offense has been coming around and he can super-sub anywhere on the field except SS and catcher.

More importantly, I'm one of those people who got a Teahen jersey after that good year he had a while back.

I agree with this.

Of those four, I'd be less inclined to trade Teahen or Butler.

It's problematic, though, because I don't think Gordon or Jacobs net much in return.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
My only thought is that any really big news should be allowed to have its own thread. Any trades that arent irrelevant, Billy Butler broke his leg and is out 2+ months, etc. That way, some casual fans who dont want to follow a Royals megathread will know what happened and wont have to dig for details.

I'm with you on that al. It wouldn't preclude anybody starting a thread. More than likely, "big" news would have it's own thread.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 11:22 AM
It's going to be a good problem to have IF Gordon starts hitting. Being forced to find AB's for capable players hasn't been a problem we've had to deal with in about a decade.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with this.

It's problematic, though, because I don't think Gordon or Jacobs net much in return.

IMO, Gordon has become our new Sweeney. :(

alnorth
05-03-2009, 11:24 AM

At this point we need to stop hoping that Gordon ascends to become "the great one", and just hope he becomes a productive MLB player. We got some minor leaguers to look at now, and we can try to draft "the great one" later this year.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:26 AM

I'd JIMP if Gordon reached Sweeney level.

For a few years, dude was the best RH hitter in the game.

Gordon has, unfortunately, become the poster child of unfulfilled potential. I still think he can be a productive ML player, however.

I'd keep him around. The Royals need ML talent on the roster.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Agreed. But Gordon hasn't exhausted my hope. He's been burdened,- much like Zach G. at one point, Damon before him - as the "Hope" of the franchise. The light came on for ZG and I'm pretty sure we're all glad we didn't ship him away.

So let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM
At this point we need to stop hoping that Gordon ascends to become "the great one", and just hope he becomes a productive MLB player. We got some minor leaguers to look at now, and we can try to draft "the great one" later this year.

100% agree.

I just don't think we trade him either because most still think he *might* become "the great one" like he was supposed to be.

As always, I remember Jo Po's article in 2003: As season approaches: threat to trade Sweeney seems absurd.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

I honestly think Hosmer is going to be a freaking beast.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I'd JIMP if Gordon reached Sweeney level.

For a few years, dude was the best RH hitter in the game.

Gordon has, unfortunately, become the poster child of unfulfilled potential. I still think he can be a productive ML player, however.

I'd keep him around. The Royals need ML talent on the roster.

I don't know that I'd compare Gordon and Sweeney talent wise. It was more so that the fans always had this image of both that was something they weren't. And thus the threat to trade him, as JoPo said, always seemed absurd.

Yet, in hind sight, I'd take Beltran over Sweeney any day.

alanm
05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I agree with this.

It's problematic, though, because I don't think Gordon or Jacobs net much in return.If they trade Gordon watch him bust out on a .300+ BA, 30HR and 100 RBI season for his new club. ROFL

Nzoner
05-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice job yesterday ari.

Great idea,maybe we can even catch that damn Cardinals thread

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know that I'd compare Gordon and Sweeney talent wise. It was more so that the fans always had this image of both that was something they weren't. And thus the threat to trade him, as JoPo said, always seemed absurd.

Yet, in hind sight, I'd take Beltran over Sweeney any day.

It just looked bad that the highest paid guy was the DH, and so Sweeney drew misdirected ire that should have been placed at the feet of Glass for being a cheap motherfucker and not bolstering the talent around Mike.

If the reports are correct and the team didn't pony up the (essentially) minuscule amount of additional money that it would have taken to lock up Beltran, it only furthers my substantial disdain for David Glass.

I'll never totally forgive him for not trying to win for years.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
If they trade Gordon watch him bust out on a .300+ BA, 30HR and 100 RBI season for his new club. ROFL

Could easily see this happening.

He has all the talent in the world; it just needs to be tapped.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:37 AM
It just looked bad that the highest paid guy was the DH, and so Sweeney drew misdirected ire that should have been placed at the feet of Glass for being a cheap mother****er and not bolstering the talent around Mike.

If the reports are correct and the team didn't pony up the (essentially) minuscule amount of additional money that it would have taken to lock up Beltran, it only furthers my substantial disdain for David Glass.

I'll never totally forgive him for not trying to win for years.

Fair point.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 11:39 AM
TPJ another DL victim

alanm
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Could easily see this happening.

He has all the talent in the world; it just needs to be tapped.If he's getting ready to get back by the end of June early July he needs to spend some time at home.(Omaha) Preferably all of July and then call him back early August. Hopefully he's raking the cover off the ball by then.

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Im loving Dayton Moore and what he has done with our beloved franchise.

William.... start the OFFICIAL thread, homie... Don't forget the asterisks! heh

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:00 PM
holy smokes, TPJ actually broke one of those little bones in his left hand. Thats gotta be good for a month or two, right?

Maybe we can send him some flowers and a "get well soon" card. (laced with swine flu)

Looks like we are bringing up the AAA shortstop Luis Hernandez. He's hitting .292/.325/.333 so he's not going to be a great hitter, but he cant be much worse than TPJ.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
holy smokes, TPJ actually broke one of those little bones in his left hand. Thats gotta be good for a month or two, right?

Maybe we can send him some flowers and a "get well soon" card. (laced with swine flu)

Looks like we are bringing up the AAA shortstop Luis Hernandez. He's hitting .292/.325/.333 so he's not going to be a great hitter, but he cant be much worse than TPJ.

Brutal. LMAO

Those numbers look like an All-Star's line compared to TPJ.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:08 PM
first pitch is next

alnorth
Geez, these rugrats cant sing worth a CRAP.

Jethopper
TJ dreams of numbers like that.....at any level.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:12 PM
man, I hate this stadium. This park is so bad

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Top 1st

Crisp flies out to left
Bloomquist strikes out (looking)
Teahen fouls out to third

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 1st

Span walks
Span steals second
Harris flies out to right
Morneau hits an infield single to shortstop, Span to third, Morneau to second, Span scores on an Error by SS
Kubel grounds out to second, Morneau to third
Cuddyer walks
Buscher fouls out to catcher

1 run, 1 hit, 1 error

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Fever needs to pay more attentiont to the game

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Bloomy..what was wrong with that pitch, buddy? Swing the bat

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:20 PM
and we walk the first batter of the game

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Meche still don't look right

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:23 PM
and they steal on us

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Weak arm Buck

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Fellas,

I'm at work with no real way to keep tabs except to check into this thread. So, if you can, give details when a play develops.

Thanks,

Will

WilliamTheIrish
Oh almost forgot: Pete: Shut up.

chiefbowe82
and we make an error, and they score

Kraus
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
WTF is Jacobs doing at first... my god that guy sucks.

petegz28
And our defense continues to suck ass......

DeezNutz
Ground ball to SS. Skips the throw to 1B, and Jacobs cannot dig it.

1-0.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
So, a leadoff walk and an error and we find ourselves losing again....

DeezNutz
Meche has been all around the corners.

I expect he'll settle down and have a very solid outing.

Delano
Game Over :p

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
And our defense continues to suck ass......

It's weird, we've had sucky ass defense and then spectacular defense in the same game(s).

DeezNutz
Groundball to 2B. Jacobs looks fucking clueless as he retreats to first.

petegz28
Meche has been all around the corners.

I expect he'll settle down and have a very solid outing.

Looks like he did not long ago....pitching scared...

WTF are you doing Jacobs???? God this guy sucks

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I stand by my statement that Jacobs should rarely, if ever, see the field.

Though I don't fault him for not digging the throw from Bloomquist, based the replay.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
come on gil find the zone a little bit

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:31 PM
25 pitches already this inning for Meche....

alnorth
run is now earned. The error was only a 1-base advance error, and the run would now have still scored with the groundout to second. If Morneau scores, that could potentially be unearned depending on what happens.

Short Leash Hootie
genius idea by Hillman...

Lets give our $55M pitcher a retard defense...he gets the shitty catcher...a RF playing SS, and a 1B that can't catch.

Awesome.

Great confidence builder!

irishjayhawk

Though I don't fault him for not digging the throw from Bloomquist, based the replay.

Yep. Surprisingly, Butler has impressed in the field.

DeezNutz
Looks like he did not long ago....pitching scared...

Do not agree with this statement at all.

Looks like he's pitching with decent control. He'll start to widen the zone soon.

petegz28

The throw was Bloomy.....the brainfart on covering 1st though....

and there goes the 2nd walk of the inning...

Meche won't make it past 4-5 innings

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
well gil walks another

Jethopper
Tough ump

DeezNutz
The zone is virgin tight.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
32 pitch inning.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
well 32 pitches later here we are

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 12:34 PM
genius idea by Hillman...

Lets give our $55M pitcher a retard defense...he gets the shitty catcher...a RF playing SS, and a 1B that can't catch.

Awesome.

Great confidence builder!

Buck is a far better defensive catcher than Olivo!

Short Leash Hootie
Meche has been off since Hillman screwed him two starts ago...

Idiot coach.

Him and Vinny Del Negro can go fuck themselves.

DeezNutz
Buck is a far better defensive catcher than Olivo!

lol.

That 350 pound chick is way fatter than the 340 pound one.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Top 2nd

Guillen walks
Jacobs fouls out to third
DeJesus strikes out (looking)
Callaspo flies out to left

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 2nd

Young grounds out to shortstop
Morales singles to left
Punto grounds into a 4-6-3 double play, Morales out at second

0 runs, 1 hit

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM
lol.

That 350 pound chick is way fatter than the 340 pound one.

:nosmilie:

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow, a Royals fan who wants Olivo to start instead of Buck. You dont see those very often

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Guillen walks.

Mark it.

petegz28
Ok, can we make them pay for the leadoff walk as they did us???

DeezNutz
K or HR?

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
K or HR?

*flips coin* (seriously, it was a 1979 nickle) Heads, so HR.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Jacobs K's, pops out on the IF or hits into the DP....

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Here comes the pitch way down and way in for strike 3

Delano
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Apparently Kevin Slowey didn't have a bullpen session this morning. He'll be the long-relief guy if needed.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
And I called it...pop out on the IF

Short Leash Hootie
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, a Royals fan who wants Olivo to start instead of Buck. You dont see those very often

I just don't understand why Meche doesn't pitch with the same catcher every game...him and Greinke should pitch with the same catcher every start.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Apparently Kevin Slowey didn't have a bullpen session this morning. He'll be the long-relief guy if needed.

Really? Wouldnt you have to be a special kind of idiot to send a guy out for long relief 2 days after he goes 5 innings?

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM
holy crap david take that for a ride

alnorth
I just don't understand why Meche doesn't pitch with the same catcher every game...him and Greinke should pitch with the same catcher every start.

I dont really buy it with Meche. He isnt some bright-eyed young guy who needs to be mentored out there, he ought to be pro enough to able to talk to any MLB catcher for 10 minutes to go over pitches and signs, warm up, and be ready to go.

petegz28
WTF guys? That is two guys who have K'd looking at strike 3 right down the fucking middle!

DeezNutz
I'm always a little perplexed when ML hitters get surprised by the fastball.

Not sure why Frank is calling the 90 mph pitch a change up...

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Way to move the runner around. Jacobs and DDJ had TERRIBLE AB's

Delano
05-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Really? Wouldnt you have to be a special kind of idiot to send a guy out for long relief 2 days after he goes 5 innings?

It'd be odd for sure.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Zone continues to be tight as fuck.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
And Meche off to another 3-0 count...

Delano
05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Meche looks bothered. Is his back still dinged up?

DeezNutz
Nice play by WB on a grounder toward the middle.

petegz28
Zone continues to be tight as ****.

Seems to be very tight.

petegz28
Meche looks bothered. Is his back still dinged up?

Either it is or at least it is still in his mind.

Delano
05-03-2009, 12:48 PM
You guys want to buy Morales? :D

Short Leash Hootie
05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I dont really buy it with Meche. He isnt some bright-eyed young guy who needs to be mentored out there, he ought to be pro enough to able to talk to any MLB catcher for 10 minutes to go over pitches and signs, warm up, and be ready to go.

Maddux had a personal catcher every season of his career...

In my opinion...the ace of the staff should be able to pitch to the same guy every start. Maybe I'm just still frustrated by Hillman's decision to subject Meche's brilliant performance two starts ago to a loss.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Maddux had a personal catcher every season of his career...

Yep, and that was one of his few weaknesses. A "personal catcher" is a crutch.

petegz28
Punto should be suspended for this game for bumping the Ump

DeezNutz
Wonder if he doesn't like where he's landing or if it's jarring and causing some pain?

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
4-6-3.

Beautiful start by AC.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Nice DP....

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, we know the Ump has a zone the size of a **** hair...so we better start sitting back and picking pitches.

Of course those down the middle strikes seem to be perplexing to some of our hitters to the point that they can't swing the bat.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Top 3rd

Buck lines out to second
Maier flies out to center
Crisp grounds out to first

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 3rd

Span grounds out to first
Harris flies out to center
Morneau strikes out (swinging)

0 runs, 0 hits

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Tastes like a pop out for buck

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Hit well. Line out 4.

Short Leash Hootie
05-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Yep, and that was one of his few weaknesses. A "personal catcher" is a crutch.

I won't question your baseball knowledge, because you are the man...but I don't understand how either of us can question the greatness of Greg Maddux...if he thinks pitching to the same guy every start is important, I am going to agree.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
we seem to suffer from anti-linedrive syndrome.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM
9-pitch inning....:shake:

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM
So that is what a solid defensive play at first looks like...

petegz28
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
So that is what a solid defensive play at first looks like...

It was...

alnorth
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I won't question your baseball knowledge, because you are the man...but I don't understand how either of us can question the greatness of Greg Maddux...if he thinks pitching to the same guy every start is important, I am going to agree.

Its one of those things that cant really be quantified. I could be dead-ass wrong and the "right" catcher for each pitcher could be important, but I see lots of all-star pitchers who play musical chairs with catchers without missing a beat, and dont agree. When you get to be a good pitcher, you should be able to tell the catcher what you like to do, shake off pitches, etc.

When you force your team to let you use a "personal catcher" who hits worse than the starter, your hurting your team, unless there really is something to it that makes you pitch better. Without a time machine to go back and tell Maddux to stop crying about his catcher and deal, we cant really know.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Web Gem.

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
COCO!

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
great
fucking
play
Covelli

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Harris literally tipped his cap to Crisp.

petegz28
Ok, that is the way to come back Meche...with your own 9-pitch inning

petegz28
Harris literally tipped his cap to Crisp.

That is class and great sportsmanship

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
That is class and great sportsmanship

Great hit. Great catch.

What can you do...

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Great hit. Great catch.

What can you do...

Tip your hat ...

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Ok Bloomy...WTF was that?

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
We lacked plays like that one from coco all last year. A defensive play that shows Gil he doesn't have to do it all himself.

DeezNutz
I think we're going to need a hit to win.

Not sure, but this is my initial inclination.

petegz28

I am going to say that is probably a safe bet.

alnorth

maybe we could get 5 consecutive walks. I wonder if a pitcher has ever lost a no-hitter?

DeezNutz
Another hard hit ball.

LO 8.

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM

If Olivo was in they wouldn't. We would just wild pitch and error them to a win.

alnorth
Top 4th

Bloomquist flies out to center
Teahen strikes out (swinging)
Guillen pops out to shortstop

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 4th

Kubel doubles to right
Kubel to third on a Wild Pitch
Cuddyer doubles to left, Kubel scores
Buscher grounds out to first 3-1, Cuddyer to third
Young grounds out to third
Morales grounds out to pitcher

1 run, 2 hits

DeezNutz
maybe we could get 5 consecutive walks

True.

Lots of HBP's...

Couple walks and lots of balks...

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
The cap girl just mouthed, "I need DeezNutz..."

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Way to whiff Teahen

Delano
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Which Royal has hit for the highest average in a season at the Metrodome?

Jethopper
What is going on!!!

Ari Chi3fs
we sure are lowering Baker's ERA, huh?

alnorth
05-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Way to whiff Teahen

ya got to admit, at least its better than admiring strike 3 with the bat on your shoulder

petegz28
ya got to admit, at least its better than admiring strike 3 with the bat on your shoulder

This is true...

DeezNutz
Through 4 = 0 hits.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
To improve morale:

http://www.hotinhollywood.tv/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/05/transformers20001.jpg

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
JFC!

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I know. She's hot.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Needs the big K.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
good lord gil

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Game OVer.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Change up right in the heart of the plate.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I know. She's hot.

Only in a slutty kinda way.

chiefbowe82
good play saving another run jacobs

DeezNutz
Jacobs with the best defensive play of his life.

chiefbowe82
good play saving another run jacobs x2

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Only in a slutty kinda way.

Yeah, which is the best kind. Please keep all the hot prudes.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, which is the best kind. Please keep all the hot prudes.

:)

I prefer the non-slutty hot ones. Like a Kristen Bell type.

Kraus
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Impressive play by Meche!

DeezNutz
Bad News Bears Web Gem.

Delano
:LOL: Damn that was close. PLOW HIM THE SHIT UP, MORALES111 :D

petegz28
wow....great play.......don't ever fucking do it again!

chiefbowe82
ok down 2 runs 5 innings left-LETS HIT THE FREAKIN BALL, THIS PITCHER ISN'T EVEN GOOD

Delano
05-03-2009, 01:23 PM
ok down 2 runs 5 innings left-LETS HIT THE FREAKIN BALL, THIS PITCHER ISN'T EVEN GOOD

ROFL You so studly.

alnorth
Top 5th

Jacobs fouls out to third
DeJesus fouls out to first
Callaspo fouls out to right

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 5th

Punto grounds out to second
Span pops out to third
Harris grounds out to shortstop

0 runs, 0 hits

DeezNutz
Going out on a limb and saying this pitcher is somewhat ok.

chiefbowe82
AND JOE NATHAN SUCKS

alnorth
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
fangraphs is now giving us a 1 in 4 chance of coming back to win the game.

http://www.fangraphs.com/lgraphs/290503109_Royals_Twins_125671998_lbig.png

Jethopper

DeezNutz
Who?

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 01:25 PM
mike is the foul ball hitting king

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Fucking shit.

petegz28
God damn Jacobs, that is the 2nd time he has popped out in the same fucking spot

DeezNutz
After Jacobs just got fingered, I'm guessing we're going to see Butterball.

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Fuck Scott Baker!

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Smiling b/c he continues to steal a fat check.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
no-no still intact.

petegz28
JFC...3 foul outs in 1 inning...

Kraus
This isn't looking good.

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 01:31 PM
uh oh, 5 no hit innings

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:32 PM
If we don't stop swinging at the high fastball we won't even get a ball in play.....

Delano
no-no still intact.

uh oh, 5 no hit innings

Shhhh!

alnorth
well, the unofficial 5IP perfect/no-hit rule of thumb has been satisfied, we are now tracking a bid for a no-hitter.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
meche always gets terrible run support

SPATCH
05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
uh oh, 5 no hit innings

reverse mojo... good

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
wWow Ump..WTF was that?

alnorth
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
well, the unofficial 5IP perfect/no-hit rule of thumb has been satisfied, we are now tracking a bid for a no-hitter.

BTW, just so no one goes psycho in a future game, I also usually start tracking it when a Royals pitcher has a perfect game or no hitter through 5. The superstition is the players cant talk about it, there's no mojo for the random internet nerds like us.

chiefbowe82
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
why are the bullpens in the field

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 01:38 PM
MLB.TV is the win

alnorth

because this stadium sucks

Kraus

Because it is the Metrodome.... not a dedicated baseball field.

Edit: and it sucks.

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Shhhh!

Well i am watching this game until the Dodger game starts.

Everyone wants to turn into a game that has a chance at something special. lol

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
THere is quite a few bullpens in the league that are like that. I know its like that in Frisco too.

Al Bundy
05-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Because the stadium is a giant pile of shit.

DeezNutz
Shhhh!

Sorry, dude. Didn't mean to bring up the subject of a no hitter. How did you feel watching this no hitter? Have you ever witnessed a no hitter live before? I believe that this would be Baker's first no hitter, right. Noooooooo hiiiiiiitttttterrrrr, cool.

alnorth
Top 6th

Buck strikes out (swinging)
Maier flies out to right
Crisp flies out to left

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 6th

Morneau doubles to center
Kubel flies out to right, Morneau to third
Cuddyer singles to center, Morneau scores
Buscher strikes out (swinging), Cuddyer steals second, Cuddyer to third on an Error by C
Young singles to center, Cuddyer scores
Morales strikes out (swinging) 2-3

2 runs, 3 hits, 1 error

ChiTown
05-03-2009, 01:42 PM
If Scott Baker could play the Royals every time he pitched, he'd be in the MFing HOF. WTF is it with this guy and the Royals?

Delano
05-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Nice running catch by Cuddy.

I get the feeling he's coming around at the plate, as well.

Fruit Ninja
05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
uh oh, 6 innings

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
This could be the annual no-no against us........

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
someone needs to break up this No-no bullshit.

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
what a catch by Coco... love that dude.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
This could be Meche's last inning unless he gets some quick outs.

Ari Chi3fs
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
i hate the fucking Twins.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Anotehr fucking leadoff double...well today doesn't look good for us at all

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Fucks.

With Scott "Cy" Baker on the mound, we really need to work around this.

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
who do you guys hate more? Sox or Twinks

DeezNutz
Mitch sleeping.

chiefbowe82
jesus maier

DeezNutz
Sox. And it's not comparable.

ChiTown
05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
who do you guys hate more? Sox or Twinks

Is this a trick question?

chiefbowe82
theres always tomorrow...

petegz28
3-0...game is over

ChiTown
As if it were already in the books, GAME FUCKING OVER!

Jethopper
05-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Nah.. We are starting to come around with the line drives.

DeezNutz
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Pretty.

petegz28
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
fucking pathetic

VonneMarie
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
We will not be no hit by the stinking Twinkies.

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Who's gonna be the puss to lay down the bunt single. Bloomy?

alnorth
Top 7th

Bloomquist singles to center
Teahen singles to right, Bloomquist to second
Guillen homers to center, Teahen and Bloomquist scores
Jacobs singles to center
DeJesus singles to right, Jacobs to second

Luis Ayala relieves Baker

Callaspo doubles to center, DeJesus and Jacobs scores, Callaspo out at third 7-6-3
Buck flies out to right
Maier flies out to left

5 runs, 6 hits

Bottom 7th

Horacio Ramirez relieves Meche

Punto strikes out (swinging)
Span hits an infield single to shortstop
Harris flies out to right
Morneau doubles to left, Span to third
Kubel strikes out (swinging)

0 runs, 2 hits

Delano
:cuss:

Blankey
05-03-2009, 02:04 PM
thank ****ing God

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
If Teahen could actually get on base, it COULD get interesting. Not likely but possible.

alnorth
05-03-2009, 02:05 PM
cool, I was starting to look up franchise no-hitter statistics for KC and Minnesota. Guess I wont need that now.

Kraus
05-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Alright, lets get something going now.

petegz28
We will not be no hit by the stinking Twinkies.

meh, where were you like 5 innings ago?

CaliforniaChief
Atta boy....

VonneMarie
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM
meh, where were you like 5 innings ago?

I was busy cooking.

Kraus
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM
JOSE!!!!

CaliforniaChief
05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Someone's gotta remind him that his name is Scott Baker and not Scott Erickson.

petegz28
Jose makes it a 1 run game! Now that error in the 1st really looms large

chiefbowe82
ITS A 1 RUN GAME HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO OUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 INNINGS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeezNutz
Errors suck.