PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Lance Stephenson down to Arizona and Memphis?

jAZ
05-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow... talk about a suprise.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/01/johnnies-maryland-out-for-lance/#more-15983

Johnnies, Maryland Out for Lance
Posted on May 1, 2009 12:28 pm
After all this time, it appears that Arizona or Memphis has as good a shot to land Lance Stephenson as anyone.

Stephenson, the McDonald’s All-American out of Brooklyn Lincoln, has reportedly crossed both St. John’s and Maryland off his list of potential colleges, which makes sense because if he hasn’t committed to either by now, what is he waiting for?

“At this point [St. John's is] out,” a source told the Daily News. “They’re not a high priority for us. Maryland coach [Gary Williams] embraced Lance, but for some reason that wasn’t the right move.”

A St. John’s source said the Stephenson family had not called them as of noon on Friday to dispute the accuracy of the report.

Both Lance Stephenson Jr and Sr. have repeatedly said they wanted to get the young man out of New York and into a different environment.

St. John’s recently got a commitment from point guard Malik Stith, and head coach Norm Roberts is also waiting on several other players. By waiting on Stephenson, it could hinder his chances to land those players.

“[Stith] is going to be a guy that’s really going to be able to help us from the point guard position because we were depleted at that position a year ago,” Roberts said.

He added: “I like my team right now.”

As for Maryland, sources say that Stephenson feels Williams’ system would be too structured for him. There is also the concern of a potential NCAA investigation into Stephenson’s visit to the Under Armour facilities during his official visit in January. Under Armour is owned and operated by Kevin Plank, a Maryland booster.

“It was just an honest part of the trip,” Lance Sr. told SLAM Magazine in its June issue. “They gave us a tour and basically that was it. They showed us how they make sneakers, we met with the academic people, the coaches…we just saw the itinerary. If it was a violation, we didn’t know anything about it.”

Stephenson has never visited Arizona or Memphis but Arizona has been in touch with the family, and Memphis has also reached out, as first reported here.

Arizona assistant Book Richardson coached Stephenson on a USA Basketball team in 2007 that won the gold medal and he is trying to cultivate that relationship.

Richardson is also recruiting another New York native, Kevin Parrom, who takes his official visit to Arizona this weekend and will decide by next week.

No official visits for Stephenson have been set to either Arizona or Memphis, but a source said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if he verballed without stepping foot on campus.”

Despite the Daily News report that Kentucky was in the mix, a source within the Kentucky program said they were not recruiting Stephenson and that landing a point guard – John Wall or Eric Bledsoe – was the “top priority.”

The late signing period ends May 20, but there is nothing preventing Stephenson from announcing after that date.

“[Lance Sr.] said he’s not even close to making a decision,” a source said.

The Daily News also reports that Stephenson is due to appear in Kings County Criminal Court in Brooklyn May 19. A 17-year-old girl at Lincoln High School claims Stephenson groped her on Oct. 3 of last year. Alberto Ebanks, Stephenson’s attorney, maintains his client’s innocence.

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Heh. I thought he'd go to SJU.

What does Arizona have returing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
St. John's and Maryland have been pretty much doinked for a while.

That Pastner immediately held onto our four-star big man and got us back into the battle for three five-stars after the slime grenade went off is nothing short of a miracle. Born Crazy Ready, Bledsoe, and LW would look pretty nice in blue.

DJay23
05-03-2009, 02:01 PM

That Pastner immediately held onto our four-star big man and got us back into the battle for three five-stars after the slime grenade went off is nothing short of a miracle. Born Crazy Ready, Bledsoe, and LW would look pretty nice in blue.

I like Stephenson. He may or may not be an attitude problem, but he seems like he really wants to win.

jAZ
05-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Heh. I thought he'd go to SJU.

What does Arizona have returing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nic Wise was about it from last year (unless some other guys step up).

But Sean Miller has landed 3 4-star recruits (Solomon Hill, Kyryl Natyazhko, and Kevin Parrom), in the 3 weeks since taking the job.

Should be interesting.

Buehler445
05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks jAZ.
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ
05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/03/stephenson-sweepstakes-could-end-this-week/#more-16071

Stephenson Sweepstakes Could End this Week
Posted on May 3, 2009 8:21 pm

Lance Stephenson could make a college decision by the end of this week, according to a source close to the situation.

“I think by the end of the week they’ll make up their mind between Arizona and Memphis,” the source said.

The Stephenson family has kept a low profile in recent weeks, avoiding contact with the media, but it has become clear that St. John’s and Maryland, two longtime suitors, are out.

“It’s more than rumors,” the source said. “They’re not going to Maryland, they’re not going to St. John’s. And he ain’t going to Europe.”

The 6-foot-6 Stephenson is a McDonald’s All-American and the all-time leading scorer in New York State history.

Arizona and Memphis have both made late pushes, but no official visits have been set.

“Arizona has a place for him to come in and be a trendsetter,” an Arizona source said. “Along with three other incoming guys, they have arguably the best recruiting class in the Pac-10.”

Arizona got a commitment Sunday from another New Yorker, 6-6 wing Kevin Parrom of South Kent (Conn.).

Asked if he would help recruit Stephenson to Arizona, Parrom said: “I’m not a recruiter. I’m just a player. If he wants to come, he can come.”

The first source said “Memphis is very deep in the picture” for Stephenson as well.

Memphis would also seem like a good fit for Stephenson. The Tigers will play an uptempo system under new coach Josh Pastner and are in need of a wing now that Xavier Henry has departed for Kansas.

Both Arizona and Memphis have a track record of sending players to the NBA, something that is important to Stephenson.

Memphis is also waiting on word from Alabama point guard Eric Bledsoe. Bledsoe visited the campus last Friday and reportedly toured the FedEx Forum. From there he went to Kentucky for an official this past weekend. Bledsoe is due to announce between Memphis and Kentucky soon.

Many think that Kentucky’s first choice to play the point is John Wall, who is due to cut his list down sometime soon.

“I haven’t given anybody a list of leaders,” Wall told the Charlotte Observer.

ArrowheadMagic
05-04-2009, 12:40 AM

has Memphis fallen this far off the map? from X to a guy that you'd take X over. good thing you have a solid recruiter as a replacement for a coach who hasnt won anything. Memphis is in a better place right now, at least you know the coach wants to be there.

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 12:53 AM
has Memphis fallen this far off the map? from X to a guy that you'd take X over.Yes, I would take a top 5 player with no issues over a top 10 player with issues. Verily, the world is a mysterious and terrifying place.

What really sucks is that CJ is apparently getting guilted into transferring, no matter what happens with his appeal.

BWillie
05-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I hope Memphis gets him. They deserve some consolation prize

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I hope Memphis gets him. They deserve some consolation prize

Fuck Memphis.

Pants
05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
**** Memphis.
:shake:

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
:shake:

Whats wrong?

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Kansas fans who hate Memphis are like Marlins fans who hate the Cubs.

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Kansas fans who hate Memphis are like Marlins fans who hate the Cubs.

I dont get it. :spock:

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I dont get it. :spock:You wouldn't, because you're a fucking moron.

ArrowheadHawk
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Why hate Memphis?

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
You wouldn't, because you're a ****ing moron.

No it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

How can you even compare the 2? Why the fuck would Marlins fans hate the Cubs? WTF? a NLCS series comparing to a NCAA Mens Champ game?

Don't see the connection......or more imortantly how it's even relevant at all.

Pants
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
How can you even compare the 2? Why the **** would Marlins fans hate the Cubs? WTF?

Because that's not the point. OBVIOUSLY. ROFL JFC, you reach a new level of retard every day.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Why hate Memphis?
Why care about Memphis at all?

KC_Connection
05-04-2009, 01:33 PM

This.

We're winning the 'ship this year, it's no time for discussing losers.

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 01:44 PM

exactly......fuck 'em

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Most Kansas fans are terrible. [1]

1 see also: this thread

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Why, Because they don't care about your team?

I don't hate Memphis. I don't like Memphis. I really don't care one way or the other. Memphis hired a mercenary head coach and reaped the benefits of it. Now they are reaping the downside of it. :shrug:

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Why, Because they don't care about your team?

I don't hate Memphis. I don't like Memphis. I really don't care one way or the other. Memphis hired a mercenary head coach and reaped the benefits of it. Now they are reaping the downside of it. :shrug:

Define a "mercenary head coach", please. Now think how many years Cal stayed at Memphis. Was Roy a mercenary?

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Define a "mercenary head coach", please. Now think how many years Cal stayed at Memphis. Was Roy a mercenary?Roy has had 2 head coaching jobs, wtf you talking about? Calipari has pretty much always followed the money. Many rumors around that he recruits his players throw serious booster type money. He's a sleeze. imo

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
We'll see if we're on the downside of that or not, but I have no problem with Calipari's 9-year tenure other than the way he left and tried to take players who were not only signed/committed but also already on the team.

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Roy has had 2 head coaching jobs, wtf you talking about? Calipari has pretty much always followed the money. Many rumors around that he recruits his players throw serious booster type money. He's a sleeze. imo

Roy started his HC career at KU, don't be silly. And, AFAIK Memphis matched UK.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
We'll see if we're on the downside of that or not, but I have no problem with Calipari's 9-year tenure other than the way he left and tried to take players who were not only signed/committed but also already on the team.Him taking the recruits and bailing IS the downside i'm talking about.

I have now idea what kind of record Memphis is going to have going forward. Don't know, Don't care. The real point here is that nobody would care if MU or KU lost their coach, why should they care if you lost yours. Seriously, since when do college fans take pity on another school's competitive misfortune? Nobody died, you just lost your coach. Boo hoo.

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Him taking the recruits and bailing IS the downside i'm talking about.

I have now idea what kind of record Memphis is going to have going forward. Don't know, Don't care. The real point here is that nobody would care if MU or KU lost their coach, why should they care if you lost yours. Seriously, since when do college fans take pity on another school's competitive misfortune? Nobody died, you just lost your coach. Boo hoo.

There's a place between taking pity and talking trash/rubbing it in.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Roy started his HC career at KU, don't be silly. And, AFAIK Memphis matched UK.
You are making no sense. You compare Calipari to Williams for some idiotic reason, not me. Hey, if Memphis is your team, good for you. Just don't expect other fans from other schools to feel sorry for you. Calipari gets a job and stays about 8 years, then moves on. Welcome to life.

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
And, AFAIK Memphis matched UK.And exceeded. By a ridiculous amount. It was all about getting more love from ESPN.

I have now idea what kind of record Memphis is going to have going forward. Don't know, Don't care. The real point here is that nobody would care if MU or KU lost their coach, why should they care if you lost yours. Seriously, since when do college fans take pity on another school's competitive misfortune? Nobody died, you just lost your coach. Boo hoo.wut

This thread is about a top 10 player who's apparently down to Memphis or Arizona (or Europe, despite Zags' blog post). CoMoChief said something dumb, Metro boggled, and then you and a few others came in to display your arrogance. Who said anything about pity?

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
You are making no sense. You compare Calipari to Williams for some idiotic reason, not me. Hey, if Memphis is your team, good for you. Just don't expect other fans from other schools to feel sorry for you. Calipari gets a job and stays about 8 years, then moves on. Welcome to life.

I'm a KU fan, you dumbass. And my point was that if Roy started his career in a mid-major school, he, too, would have had more than 2 jobs. It's not that hard to understand. And, once again, it's not about feeling sorry, it's about not talking trash, you nincom-****ing-poop.

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
1988–1996
2000–2009

Don't question Krabs.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
You wouldn't, because you're a ****ing moron.

True.

Because that's not the point. OBVIOUSLY. ROFL JFC, you reach a new level of retard every day.

True.

False.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
There's a place between taking pity and talking trash/rubbing it in.
Nobody is really talking trash about Memphis. Why don't you hold UP's hand instead of getting involved in this ridiculous argument. You trying to "guilt" fans from other schools to be nice to Memphis because they lost their coach. If MU had lost Anderson to Georgia would anyone besides MU fans cared a single solitary bit? Hell no. Memphis will be fine, they don't need my pity or hand holding.

I hope every school but my own loses every stinking game. Not mathematically possible but still ... does that make me evil? :sulk:

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:51 PM
True.

True.

False.

Just to clarify - I was being sarcastic with the 1st part of my post.

Pants
05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Nobody is really talking trash about Memphis. Why don't you hold UP's hand instead of getting involved in this ridiculous argument. You trying to "guilt" fans from other schools to be nice to Memphis because they lost their coach. If MU had lost Anderson to Georgia would anyone besides MU fans cared a single solitary bit? Hell no. Memphis will be fine, they don't need my pity or hand holding.

I hope every school but my own loses every stinking game. Not mathematically possible but still ... does that make me evil? :sulk:

Read KC_Connection's post. Read CoMo's posts. Come back. Feel like an idiot.

Proceed.

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 02:55 PM
We'll see if we're on the downside of that or not, but I have no problem with Calipari's 9-year tenure other than the way he left and tried to take players who were not only signed/committed but also already on the team.

With that kind of recruiting class, I would imagine that most coaches would try to do the same thing if there was lack of talent at the school he was trying to go to. In this case, he's going to a nationally tradition-rich powerhouse thats a little bit on a downside right now, and the MC'Ds class he recruited would put that KY team back on the map.

In Roy's case, he left Kansas and walked right into a great situation with loads of talent that needed the right coach to put them over the edge. They were good with Dougherty (sp?) didn't live up to the hype, they matured and became great under Roy.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Just to clarify - I was being sarcastic with the 1st part of my post.

Oh, I got that. :D

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Coaches are scum, end of story.

P.S. Josh Pastner rules.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
And exceeded. By a ridiculous amount. It was all about getting more love from ESPN.

wut

This thread is about a top 10 player who's apparently down to Memphis or Arizona (or Europe, despite Zags' blog post). CoMoChief said something dumb, Metro boggled, and then you and a few others came in to display your arrogance. Who said anything about pity?
No, this started because somebody said "Fuck Memphis" and a big pity party started up.

Don't hate memphis...
Why would you hate memphis...
Memphis just lost their coach, don't be so mean...
I hope memphis gets a recruit to make up for it...

Boo fucking Hoo

Then only reason i got into the whole thing is because for some reason people are trying to guilt other fans into being nice to Memphis. Like we should get a shit either way. Irritating and stupid.

Pants
05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
No, this started because somebody said "**** Memphis" and a big pity party started up.

Don't hate memphis...

Boo ****ing Hoo

Then only reason i got into the whole thing is because for some reason people are trying to guilt other fans into being nice to Memphis. Like we should get a shit either way. Irritating and stupid.

I was just trying to prevent a certain picture from being painted. We, KU fans, are already considered assholes as it is. And I do feel bad for Memphis, because I know what they're going through, except it must be worse seeing what their potential was and where they are now comparatively.

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Read KC_Connection's post. Read CoMo's posts. Come back. Feel like an idiot.

Proceed.

You're a fuckin loser.

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I was just trying to prevent a certain picture from being painted. We, KU fans, are already considered assholes as it is. And I do feel bad for Memphis, because I know what they're going through, except it must be worse seeing what their potential was and where they are now comparatively.

you and UP need to cry on eachother. if you feel bad for them so ****ing much.

Big ****in deal, it happens all the time. Schools lose coaches, legends, players all the time.

:deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee:

Pants
05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
you and UP need to cry on eachother. if you feel bad for them so ****ing much.

Big ****in deal, it happens all the time. Schools lose coaches, legends, players all the time.

:deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee:

Right on, champ.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I was just trying to prevent a certain picture from being painted. We, KU fans, are already considered assholes as it is. And I do feel bad for Memphis, because I know what they're going through, except it must be worse seeing what their potential was and where they are now comparatively.I see. Well i hate to break it to you, they are going to think KU fans are assholes whether they are nice to Memphis or not. In fact it doesn't matter what KU fans do, all the other fans in this area are going to hate them. KU hates MU, MU hates KU, KSU hates KU, KU feels pity for KSU. :fire:

embrace your inner asshole :)

Pants
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I see. Well i hate to break it to you, they are going to think KU fans are assholes whether they are nice to Memphis or not. In fact it doesn't matter what KU fans do, all the other fans in this area are going to hate them. KU hates MU, MU hates KU, KSU hates KU, KU feels pity for KSU. :fire:

embrace your inner asshole :)

I have no problem being a dick to MU/KSU fans, don't you worry about that.

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
No, this started because somebody said "Fuck Memphis" and a big pity party started up.

Don't hate memphis...

Boo fucking Hoo

Then only reason i got into the whole thing is because for some reason people are trying to guilt other fans into being nice to Memphis. Like we should get a shit either way. Irritating and stupid.Go drink a bottle of soy sauce.

Mr. Krab
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Go drink a bottle of soy sauce.
Nice, comment is equivalent of you wishing me to have a heart attack.

I FYP

Most Memphis fans are terrible. [1]

CoMoChief
05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irishjayhawk
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
This thread lost its burst.

Ultra Peanut
05-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice, comment is equivalent of you wishing me to have a heart attack.

I FYP

Most Memphis fans are terrible. [1]

1 see also: this threadThat was rude. I sorry.