PDA

View Full Version : Life A Question About Education

Rain Man
05-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a bifurcated poll, one question for people who went to college (whether you graduated or not), and one question for people who have not gone to college.

If you went to more than one college, answer only for the first college you attended.

The questions, for those of you who can't wait for the poll, are:

[People who have attended college] What were the three most important factor in selecting the college you attended?

[People who have not attended college] What were the three most important factors in deciding not to attend college?

booger
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
bifurcated as in two types of fur or the other bifurcated.

My cat ed is bifurcated. He is adaptable to most climates.

no i did not attent college.

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I went to MU as a Journalism major.

1. Top Journalism school

2. Big school (social aspect)

3. In-state so I could use my Bright Flight scholarship.

Bugeater
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I went to technical school for a year and a half, and what I went for has absolutely nothing to do with my occupation of almost 20 years, but hey, at least I know what a Faraday Cage is.

JuicesFlowing
05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I graduated from Friends University. And yes, that IS the name of the school. In retrospect, it was awfully expensive and I'm not using my degree. Weeee!!!!!

MoreLemonPledge
05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I graduated from Friends University. And yes, that IS the name of the school. In retrospect, it was awfully expensive and I'm not using my degree. Weeee!!!!!

Friends University of Central Kansas?

Skip Towne
05-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Good 'ol FUCK U.

Zebedee DuBois
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
To paraphrase Clemons: Reports of my edjamacation are widely exaggerated.

Pioli Zombie
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
If Rachel and Monica are there I'm going.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zebedee DuBois
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
If Rachel and Monica are there I'm going.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're on the wrong track.. They choose 'Friends University' over ' Quaker State'.

luv
05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
It was cheap, close to home, and had good housing options (I could live at home). I went to Missouri State back when it was SMSU. I did not graduate.

Guru
05-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Chose a college but left because it wasn't for me. Eventually went to technical school for a more specialized training in what I had an interest in.

Jenson71
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I went to UNI because my girlfriend went there, and nothing else was really attractive to me (except her, of course).

I knew that was the last reason to pick a college, but it's worked out.

Baby Lee
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Three stints,

First time 'round, Truman State nee Northeast Missouri State;
Hard Push on their standing, credentials
Low tuition, coupled with my Bright Flight and their scholarship, which amounted to me paying not one red cent for my undergrad degree.

Law School, Washington University.
It was between WashU, Tulane and Michigan [got in those three, but not KU, go figure, maybe I 'phoned it in' on my KU app or something]. Chose WashU as it was close to my GF [well, technically she was still at Truman, but her parents lived in the 'burbs] and it wasn't light years away from the family.

Going back to undergrad for a hard science degree [long story, always wanted to get into Patent Law, pops is a EE, I have a lot of practical experience in engineering and how things work, but no one advised me I needed an actual degree, so I started out at a decent firm that went to shit shortly thereafter, and the founding partner is presently incarcerated, which in turn flung me into the stultifying world of Worker's Comp for nearly a decade until I said 'eff it, I gotta do what I need to do to do what I want to do.'

BTW - apologies RM, but I guess this'll have to suffice as a reply to your PM, which I forgot about until now.

So I'm at UMSL, and the primary reason is they have a joint degree with WashU where I get instruction from and use of the facilities of WashU, at instate tuition rates.

mlyonsd
05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I chose other.

I hate to admit I picked a college for the absolute dumbest reason.

A girl.

Yes, I was an idiot.

mlyonsd
05-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I went to UNI because my girlfriend went there, and nothing else was really attractive to me (except her, of course).

I knew that was the last reason to pick a college, but it's worked out.

ROFL Read my response a few up the list.

Talisman
05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I have a bifurcated poll...

I think the doctor has an ointment for that.

stumppy
05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Other:

Uh..........well.......you see...........about 3/4th's of the way through my sophmore year in High School the Springfield Public School system decided it would be in their best interest if I was never allowed to set foot on any of their property again. The only thing I was ever caught doing was smoking in the boys room two different times. That is not why I was expelled.

I still think about how I was treated by several of my friends parents and a few of my so called friends when word got around about me being booted out. A couple friends weren't even allowed to associate with me anymore. Other parents let me know I was going to be a loser. I'd only be able to get jobs delivering newspapers. So on and so forth.
By the time I was 20 yrs old I had made more money (legally) than any of them would make in the next 10 yrs of their adult lives. And continued to earn substantially more money throughout my adult life. I've never pointed this out to any of my friends or their parents but from time to time I would stop by for a visit with the parents just to catch up. Usually I would be on my way home from work,in my new car still wearing the suit and tie. It seemed like half the time my friends were having to move back in on their parents. I know, I know, it's a petty thing to do but the way some of those 'adults' treated me when I was 15 yrs old was pretty shitty.
And it always made me feel good to prove them all wrong.