PDA

View Full Version : Royals 2009 Kansas City Royals Repository.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Saulbadguy
05-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Now those were the lovable Royals I was used to today.

Archie F. Swin
05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I dont know too much about the farm teams but I know that Mike "Moose Tacos" Moustakas is at single A Wilmington and his numbers are average at best. Does this mean that his major league game is still very much in development. As he progresses will he go to AA and eventually Omaha? Is it common for a "player of the future" to be at single A 2 years after his draft year?
I'm trying to gauge if Moustakas is as valuable to the team as once hyped.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow. And so close to getting another year.

If you are regarding HOCH, the time for that has already passed, it was May 4th that we could've called him up and gotten the extra year, so it's good!

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I dont know too much about the farm teams but I know that Mike "Moose Tacos" Moustakas is at single A Wilmington and his numbers are average at best. Does this mean that his major league game is still very much in development. As he progresses will he go to AA and eventually Omaha? Is it common for a "player of the future" to be at single A 2 years after his draft year?
I'm trying to gauge if Moustakas is as valuable to the team as once hyped.

All i know is that moosetacos, and hosmer better be brought up A, AA, and then AAA for a bit atleast....no more rushing guys out after AA.

ChiTown
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM
All i know is that moosetacos, and hosmer better be brought up A, AA, and then AAA for a bit atleast....no more rushing guys out after AA.

I just hope we actually getting a LEGIT #3 hitter out of some of these draft prospects.

Sure-Oz
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I just hope we actually getting a LEGIT #3 hitter out of some of these draft prospects.

I sure hope so, we have found out how much harder its been for Gordon and Butler coming up during AA ball....

WilliamTheIrish
05-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I sure hope so, we have found out how much harder its been for Gordon and Butler coming up during AA ball....

Here are some stats on our bigger hitting prospects:

Kila Ka'aihue: Only hitting .231, but he started slowly last season also but ended up at .333. Has 3 HR 15 RBI, but has still been drawing a good number of BB (31) with an OBP of .416 and an OPS of .834.

The encouraging thing is he continues to get a decent amount of BB's. His HR's will come. The discouraging thisng is he's 25 and we have a glut of players who are like him at that position.

WilliamTheIrish
05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Mike Moustakas: Currently hitting .27, 7 2B, 4 HR, 21 RBI. He's picked by many services as a can't miss type. But we all know how that's gone for this franchise in the last 15 years.

Last year:

Spent the entire season with the Burlington Bees of the Class A Midwest League...hit .272 (135-for-496) in 126 games, with 25 doubles, three triples, 22 home runs, 71 RBIs, eight stolen bases and 77 runs scored...tied for second (Ryan Shealy) in home runs among all Royals Minor Leaguers and ranked third in RBIs...HR total led the MWL, and his .468 slugging percentage ranked fourth...hit .228 (59-for-259) before the All-Star break and .321 (76-for-237) after...had a hit in each of his first three games (April 3-5)...from May 4-14, hit in eight of 10 games with two hits each time...drove in a season-high four runs for the first time May 26 with a grand slam vs. Beloit...twice had RBIs in four straight games, June 15-21 (1, 2, 1, 2) and Aug. 1-5 (1, 2, 2, 4)...had more than one RBI in 19 games...went 2-for-4 with two homers, four RBIs and two runs scored Aug. 5 against Peoria...hit in a season-high six straight games four times, June 14-22, June 26-July 1, July 25-July 30 and Aug. 1-7.

Archie F. Swin
05-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Kila Ka'aihue: Only hitting .231, but he started slowly last season also but ended up at .333. Has 3 HR 15 RBI, but has still been drawing a good number of BB (31) with an OBP of .416 and an OPS of .834.

The encouraging thing is he continues to get a decent amount of BB's. His HR's will come. The discouraging thisng is he's 25 and we have a glut of players who are like him at that position.

when he goes yard we can say " Kabloouee"

WilliamTheIrish
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
In case you missed this: Dallas Braden (A's) took a serious shot on the mound from the bat of Vernon Wells. Hit him right in the sternum. That's gotta leave a mark.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4514197&c_id=oak

WilliamTheIrish
05-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Recent streak: The A's have lost 2 straight and 7 of their last 10. That may be more of a product of their early schedule as they have played the Jays (2-4), Red Sox (1-2), Yankees (0-2), Mariners (1-5) and Rays (2-1) in the first 5 weeks. They can't score runs for shite.

That means it's going to be a real nail biter of a series since we aren't scoring lately either.

Ari Chi3fs
05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey William... on tonights game thread, could you please STFU until Pete actually SAYS something? Please? OKTHXBAI

SPATCH
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey William... on tonights game thread, could you please STFU until Pete actually SAYS something? Please? OKTHXBAI

seconded

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Foul territory is going to chew up balls for the royals that ususally get into the stands. Look for the royals to have patience, but not have the same result

WilliamTheIrish
05-12-2009, 10:36 AM

No problem.

Sure-Oz
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM

I hope he tears it up again this year, i'd like to see him brought up again. I like the OPS big time and he has power. I hope he is a part of our future, if not trade him and get something good. He looks like a potential carlos pena

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I just want to go on record as saying this is the greatest thread ever. I look for it daily.

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I keep hearing people say how we should trade billy butler when gordon comes back. People expect power numbers from butler at 22, give it time. People are coming back to the game expecting it to be the 80's where they watched people motor all over the K. The game has changed. More is put on hitting the ball for extra bases and power now thanks to sabermetrics and bill james. The average fan seems to get so frustrated with the non athletes playing baseball today

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I keep hearing people say how we should trade billy butler when gordon comes back. People expect power numbers from butler at 22, give it time. People are coming back to the game expecting it to be the 80's where they watched people motor all over the K. The game has changed. More is put on hitting the ball for extra bases and power now thanks to sabermetrics and bill james. The average fan seems to get so frustrated with the non athletes playing baseball today

Billy But has been better then Gordon this year (when Gordon was playing). Some of that probably has to do with the injury but it would be stupid to ship off a guy like Butler at this stage in his career unless you're getting quite a return as in an immediate slugger or front line pitcher. IMO this team is beyond the rebuilding stage into the maturing stage now. They're ready to win as they are showing. Whether this year turns out to be a playoff year or not I expect it to continue to be an over-the-hump year at least.

thurman merman
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM

if one or two guys on your team is slow, but a great power hitter, that's fine.

when you have the slowest team in the history of sports (butler, buck, guillen, jacobs, etc.) and hardly any power to go along with it, that is a problem.

SPATCH
05-12-2009, 12:33 PM
if one or two guys on your team is slow, but a great power hitter, that's fine.

when you have the slowest team in the history of sports (butler, buck, guillen, jacobs, etc.) and hardly any power to go along with it, that is a problem.

i've seen slower..... much, much slower

give butler time... he's improving as it is right now, so i don't see why people have their knickers in a twist over him

CaliforniaChief
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Alrighty people, I'm ready to get the Royals back in the "W" column after a miserable weekend.

Here's hoping that Hoch can get it done tonight and start a little momentum in Oakland as they come home to play the O's. BTW, Thursday night's game is being broadcast on MLB Network. (DirecTV channel 213)

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
don't like them bomb the hoch-a-mein trail

CaliforniaChief
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
So what, we have a 4 game losing streak and all of the sudden the repository is relegated to page 3 of all threads?

Did any of you hear Ryan Lefebvre's chat with Soren Petro the other day? They were throwing stuff around and talking about whether the Royals would be buyers at the trade deadline. Lefebvre said he thought they'd be buyers and Petro agreed. Then Petro threw out the name Jake Peavy.

Ok it's all a dream but who would you rather have if you could only have 1?

Jake Peavy- With a rotation of Greinke, Peavy, Meche, Davies, and Bannister/Hochevar we would have a potentially great pitcher on the mound every single night.

Matt Holliday/Adam Dunn- A middle of the guy slugger who adds much-needed punch to the middle of the lineup and makes guys like Guillen and Butler that much more dangerous...although someone's going to have to sit that we might want out there.

Tejada/Cabrera- A shortstop who might not be a great hitter but would help us with our most obvious offensively weak positions, shortstop. Replacing Aviles gives us a stronger lineup 1-9 but doesn't give us a slugger.

Sherrill/Qualls/etc.- A closer or set-up man from a team out of contention will bolster a bullpen that might have worries about it's own closer's shoulder. Adding one of these players gives us a bully that can carry a game reliably from the 6th or 7th inning to the end.

The hitters make sense to me, but the thought of having Peavy in our rotation is almost enough to make me jimp. Thoughts?

Fish
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Cage Match

Frank White vs. Ryan TheFever

SPATCH
05-13-2009, 05:33 PM
So what, we have a 4 game losing streak and all of the sudden the repository is relegated to page 3 of all threads?

Did any of you hear Ryan Lefebvre's chat with Soren Petro the other day? They were throwing stuff around and talking about whether the Royals would be buyers at the trade deadline. Lefebvre said he thought they'd be buyers and Petro agreed. Then Petro threw out the name Jake Peavy.

Ok it's all a dream but who would you rather have if you could only have 1?

Jake Peavy- With a rotation of Greinke, Peavy, Meche, Davies, and Bannister/Hochevar we would have a potentially great pitcher on the mound every single night.

Matt Holliday/Adam Dunn- A middle of the guy slugger who adds much-needed punch to the middle of the lineup and makes guys like Guillen and Butler that much more dangerous...although someone's going to have to sit that we might want out there.

Tejada/Cabrera- A shortstop who might not be a great hitter but would help us with our most obvious offensively weak positions, shortstop. Replacing Aviles gives us a stronger lineup 1-9 but doesn't give us a slugger.

Sherrill/Qualls/etc.- A closer or set-up man from a team out of contention will bolster a bullpen that might have worries about it's own closer's shoulder. Adding one of these players gives us a bully that can carry a game reliably from the 6th or 7th inning to the end.

The hitters make sense to me, but the thought of having Peavy in our rotation is almost enough to make me jimp. Thoughts?

let's just win tonight

WilliamTheIrish
05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
It's going to rise and fall with the tide of winning and losing. Also, I've had work issues that have kept my CP experience to a minimum.

SPATCH
05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
anybody who would jump ship right now is a pussy.... and good riddance to them

CaliforniaChief
05-13-2009, 06:03 PM
anybody who would jump ship right now is a pussy.... and good riddance to them

Agreed times 1,000.

Hey, I have a question. I've stumbled upon this thing called "Sports Pack" that DirecTV offers, and I'm wondering if this is a way I can get Royals games without buying Extra Innings. The guy was having trouble finding FSKC but he was a little sports-impaired anyways. For instance, he told me that he had good news because FS Rocky Mountain covered the Royals because it said "Western Kansas" *shakes head*

Anyways, does anyone know if this Sports Pack would cover FSKC? It seems to cover a lot of the regional Fox Sports Networks, and they have a special right now for 8 dollars a month for 3 months. If so, that really beats the crap out of the Extra Innings price.

thurman merman
05-13-2009, 06:16 PM
i've seen slower..... much, much slower

give butler time... he's improving as it is right now, so i don't see why people have their knickers in a twist over him

i don't think he's going to get any faster. that's what i was referring to.

WilliamTheIrish
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
My favorite prospect, Blaine Hardy continues to impress: He has now pitched 28 innings, with ZERO BB and 35 K's @ Burlington (A)

Ari Chi3fs
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
We need a damn win!

WilliamTheIrish
05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Looking ahead to Baltimore:

They lost their hottest hitter today when Adam Jones strained a hamstring. He has 8 HR.

BALTIMORE -- The Orioles lost their hottest hitter and perhaps their best all-around player on Wednesday night, when Adam Jones aggravated a right hamstring injury and left the game early. Jones tweaked his hamstring while attempting to leg out an infield single in the second inning and stuck around until the fourth.

Jones was diagnosed with a mild strain and is listed as day-to-day.

WilliamTheIrish
05-14-2009, 06:12 PM
From MLB.com

The Orioles gave Meche trouble last year; he was 0-2 with a 7.36 ERA in his two starts against them. He's 4-6 with a 3.42 ERA in 17 games against the Birds overall. Davies has pitched against the Orioles twice in his career, going 1-0 with a 10.80 ERA. Hochevar allowed eight runs on seven hits in two innings in his season debut against the Athletics on Tuesday night.

KcMizzou
05-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I heard on the radio today that the Royals won an appeal on that inside-the-park homer the other night. It's now an error on Guillen, and Meche has two less earned runs against him.

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice write up about our favorite pitcher.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/05/15/greinke-climbs-list-of-pitching-surprises/

Dartgod
05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I heard on the radio today that the Royals won an appeal on that inside-the-park homer the other night. It's now an error on Guillen, and Meche has two less earned runs against him.
As it should be.

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Minor League Update:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2009/5/15/876293/minor-update

It's promotion time in my mind. Disco, Nicoll and Bianchi don't have a whole lot more to prove at their levels and really no one standing in their way to be upped a level. Some of the bigger names are slowly but surely getting better. Kila and Hos have raised their average to .250 while Moose hit another HR last night after a slight Homer drought and extending his hitting streak to six games.

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Omaha:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2009/5/15/876293/minor-update

Chris Nicoll I don't know what else Chris needs to do to show he is better than this level. He's got a Whip under 1 19 K's in 20 IP and his FIP and ERA are down over a run each compared to last season. PROMOTE NOW !
Chris Hayes I might as well just type the same thing that I did about Nicoll. Disco is dominating, it's just a different type of domination and the scouts and management probably can't recognize it. 4/1 GB/FB RATIO !!! His LD rate is up 3% to a normal 16% but his GB rate is up 17% to 72%.

These two relief pitchers really can't prove anymore than they already have and guys like Josh Newman and Yabuta are taking up roster space in Omaha. Heath Phillips could also be inline for a taxi cab out of town as he has been rocked the last few trips out.
Kila 5 of his last 9 with a double and 2 homers. Brayan Pena is hitting .351 since being sent down and JR House and Ryan Shealy continue to hit well also. Surprisingly Shealy has not hit a HR this season and is only sluggling .425 with a .345 BA.

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Great pic from the AP from the rain delay last night.

CoMoChief
05-16-2009, 02:13 PM
As it should be.

That was a horrible play by Guillen.

WilliamTheIrish
05-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Anybody see the Padres camo uni's today? I like 'em.

crispystl420
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
As it should be.

Any chance yahoo fantasy baseball adjusts the stat? lol

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Yeeeaaa.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on that one.... They wear those every year and I think they look ridiculous every year... but oh well.

WilliamTheIrish
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeeeaaa.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on that one.... They wear those every year and I think they look ridiculous every year... but oh well.

Fever, normally I'd agree. Maybe it's because one of my kids is in the service, but for whatever reason, they appeal to me.

thurman merman
05-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Great pic from the AP from the rain delay last night.

that is very cool.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Fever, normally I'd agree. Maybe it's because one of my kids is in the service, but for whatever reason, they appeal to me.

It's cool. We can't all love the same things. I can appreciate the reason even if I don't care for the look. It's just a uni anyway.

thurman merman
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM

WTF? why would anyone in the universe like those?

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
WTF? why would anyone in the universe like those?

He explained it 3 posts above.

Nzoner
05-19-2009, 12:14 AM
White sox and twinks both go down again :thumb:

CaliforniaChief
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
White sox and twinks both go down again :thumb:

I'll take 'em. I'm starting to wonder if Ozzie Guillen's in trouble. They're really sliding.

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I'll take 'em. I'm starting to wonder if Ozzie Guillen's in trouble. They're really sliding.

That motherfucker is made of Teflon.

OmahaChief
05-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Another reason I hate David DeJesus:

Here is a quote from a KC Star article today.

"Even in the first inning, Melvin Mora with two strikes on him, the
whole crowd is buzzing. And every pitch with two strikes, if it's just
off the plate the whole crowd is like 'Ooooooooh!' " DeJesus said. "So
you can see the crowd's in the game and it makes us, as infielders and
outfielders, more attentive and you want to make a play for him."

So you are more attentive and want to make more plays for Zack when the crowd is really into it or Zack is pitching. Last I checked you piece of shit you should be as attentive as you can be 100% of the time, not just when the crowd is into a Greinke pitched game. I guess you just must not being very attentive when you ground into your double plays or strikeout on bad pitch after bad pitch.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Another reason I hate David DeJesus:

Here is a quote from a KC Star article today.

"Even in the first inning, Melvin Mora with two strikes on him, the
whole crowd is buzzing. And every pitch with two strikes, if it's just
off the plate the whole crowd is like 'Ooooooooh!' " DeJesus said. "So
you can see the crowd's in the game and it makes us, as infielders and
outfielders, more attentive and you want to make a play for him."

So you are more attentive and want to make more plays for Zack when the crowd is really into it or Zack is pitching. Last I checked you piece of shit you should be as attentive as you can be 100% of the time, not just when the crowd is into a Greinke pitched game. I guess you just must not being very attentive when you ground into your double plays or strikeout on bad pitch after bad pitch.

I think you're over-reacting and making too much of an innocent comment here.

OmahaChief
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
I think you're over-reacting and making too much of an innocent comment here.

I don't. This is the same guy that smiles after striking out in key spots with runners in scoring position when the team needs runs. The same that that grounds into a DP when the game is on the line and trots off the field like his little pony just took first place in the county fair. Personally I cannot stand to watch this guy play. I like my baseball players like George Brett and Dennis Leonard. Guys that if things don't go their way show their displeasure. Their are far too many players like DDJ that are just happy to collect that check at the end of the week and continue to steal from the fans.

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Moosetacos' manager on with Petro.

Moose currently playing 3B. Manager thinks he's athletic enough to play SS, but believes Tacos will be an exceptional 3B. Dude thinks Moose will be a hitting star. Has the mentality not to let stuff bother him, good or bad. Off to a good start this season and looks very comfortable at the plate.

petegz28
05-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Moose currently playing 3B. Manager thinks he's athletic enough to play SS, but believes Tacos will be an exceptional 3B. Dude thinks Moose will be a hitting star. Has the mentality not to let stuff bother him, good or bad. Off to a good start this season and looks very comfortable at the plate.

When do you see him getting the call?

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
When do you see him getting the call?

I think he might get a cup of coffee in 2011.

He's only in high A right now, so it would be great to see him in AA by the end of the year. AA/AAA for 2010. If he's out****ingstanding, maybe he competes in spring training in 2011, but in no way do I want to see this kid rushed. Much much patience should be used.

Thought the bit about 3B was interesting. With Butler playing a competent 1B and swinging a pretty decent stick, looks like someone will have to be moved before too long.

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM

We need a real star to be brought up, i hope moose tacos is the one...

I still have hope for Gordon, blah

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Petro: What ML player does Moosetacos remind you of?

Manager: Matt Stairs, but on a much, much different level. Better fielder, of course.

DeezNutz: (wipes vomit residue off his chin)

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Manager: Matt Stairs, but on a much, much different level. Better fielder, of course.

Matt Stairs? wtf?? An oompa loompa with power?

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM

that is bad ass i love matt stairs

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Maybe it's because of Moosetacos' obsession with hockey?

Stairs was once injured while playing hockey with Ryan the Fever and others.

CaliforniaChief
05-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd love to see him make it up as a SS...I still think Alex is going to be a stud and with Teahen/Butler we're pretty good at the corners. Now I realize this is probably 2 years away, but it would be nice to develop a star SS to join the team.

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Teahen is a great bench player imo

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Gordon is going to be a "nice" ML player.

He's DDJ with more power and less smiles.

CoMoChief
05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Gordon is going to be one of the many Royals 1st rd busts over the years.

FYP

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
FYP

He's going to be a disappointment, most likely, since the expectations were so high.

But he's a competent ML player, and we need those, too.

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Gordon is going to be a "nice" ML player.

He's DDJ with more power and less smiles.

Gordon never smiles, he needs some zimbalta or something

maybe if he'd smile more he'd hit HR's

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
He's going to be a disappointment, most likely, since the expectations were so high.

But he's a competent ML player, and we need those, too.

They really should've been high considering how highly touted he was and his minor league #'s were pretty damn good

I think he definetly has the talent but for once id love to see a guy just rake ryan braun/evan longoria style when they are brought up.

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Gordon never smiles, he needs some zimbalta or something

maybe if he'd smile more he'd hit HR's

That's what Joel Goldberg should have asked Gordon's wife about.

Blond chick, why doesn't your husband ever smile? Do you allow him to walk around with consistently dry balls?

I blame Gordon's lack of production on his old lady.

Sure-Oz
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
That's what Joel Goldberg should have asked Gordon's wife about.

Blond chick, why doesn't your husband ever smile? Do you allow him to walk around with consistently dry balls?

I blame Gordon's lack of production on his old lady.

He's probably got a really bad itch, probably in pain alot because she won't help him

I feel bad for alex, jose lima was always smiling and he gave his wife herpes!

DeezNutz
05-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I feel bad for alex, jose lima was always smiling and he gave his wife herpes!

ROFL

That's a kind woman.

sedated
05-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I'd love to see him make it up as a SS...

the only thing I heard about Moose is that the royals never thought he would be a SS, and only played him there his first year because it was in his contract, and they moved him the F out of there as soon as they could.

CoMoChief
05-19-2009, 01:59 PM
They really should've been high considering how highly touted he was and his minor league #'s were pretty damn good

I think he definetly has the talent but for once id love to see a guy just rake ryan braun/evan longoria style when they are brought up.

Yeah well to be fair, those players also have hitting surrounding them as well. We have........well........Jac..........Dej.......Guil................well no one really.

WilliamTheIrish
05-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah well to be fair, those players also have hitting surrounding them as well. We have........well........Jac..........Dej.......Guil................well no one really.

You have the fine reverse Midas touch of Pete. You could weave a sows ear out of a silk purse.

Jacobs hits a laser beam HR. Teahan HR. DDJ game tying 3b. You should be Pete's monkey.

WilliamTheIrish
05-20-2009, 02:35 AM
My favorite minor league Royals player gave up his first base on balls this week

Blaine Hardy Burlington Bees (A) Midwest League:

36.2 inning pitched 40K's gave up his first two BB on May 15th. Had two again last night in a 3 inning appearance.

WilliamTheIrish
05-20-2009, 02:45 AM

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090519&content_id=4828072&vkey=news_t426&fext=.jsp&sid=t426

Six different Blue Rocks enjoyed a multi-hit night. Mike Moustakas set a new team-high by extending his hitting streak to 10 with a 3-for-5 night. Paulo Orlando also went 3-for-5, tripling and scoring twice.

alnorth
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
new hilarious bit from the Disco Hayes blog (KC Royals prospect currently pitching in AA, with a blog on MLBlogs.com (http://discohayes.mlblogs.com/))

He's become a cult favorite, and on Friday he answers fan mail. Here's two of them:

From It's All Greek to Me (http://discohayes.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/its_all_greek_to_me.html)--"My calves are really the one and only attribute of my body people might look at in a body catalog and want to order for themselves. My ankles are skinny and athletic-looking and my calves are well defined. Analysts typically wear long pants, so I'm still able to pull off the look without problems, but from the knee down I'm pretty proud of my body. On to examine the masterpiece ... "

Well, can we see the goods?
Liz G., Sucre, Bolivia

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z5TT6bCGEp8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z5TT6bCGEp8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Do you have any pet peeves?
Nancy, R. Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Thanks for asking this Nancy. I'm so glad you asked actually. There's one pet peeve that was absolutely driving me nuts tonight. Ah, I'm so glad you asked. In fact, I'm so glad, I actually made you up and asked this question of myself in order to be able to vent about this on Fanmail Friday.

Shower Knob Syndrome (SKS) is an issue that has driven me nuts from the time I was old enough to shower on my own. The showers in the locker room at our home ballpark are the nicest looking showers in the league. The bathroom is completely automated and new and clean and big; the showers have nice pressure and are spacious and private. The entire facility is incredibly nice. But it means nothing to me because the shower knobs suffer from SKS.

In case you are unfamiliar, in order to explain SKS, I will provide a sample of what a typical showering experience for myself or any of my teammates on a given night goes like (try to stay calm ladies, we're talking SKS here, this is serious). For this exercise, please keep in mind according to WikiAnswers.com, a comfortable showering temperature is 105 degrees.

Enter shower.
Shower knob at 6:00 on a clock (pointing straight down), shower off.
Turn knob counter clockwise up to 12:00, shower on, temperature near 130 degrees.
Turn knob to 2:00, temperature 70 degrees.
Knob to 1:00, temperature to 125.
Knob 1:30, temperature 124. 2:00, 70 again.
1:50, 80--too cold.
1:40, 119--too hot.
1:45, 116--too hot.
1:50, 80 ice.
1:48, 98.
1:46, 114. Sigh disgustedly.
1:47, 99. Now we're getting close.
1:46:20, 114.
1:46:50, 99. SOB.
1:46:30, 113. Debate going home sans shower, smelling like a ski lodge.
1:46:35, 112. Fingers getting pruny.
1:46:48, 101.
1:46:05, crap! 120 degrees.
1:46:44, 103.
1:46:42, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, finally 105.

And then...someone flushes the toilet. As you hear the first signs of the flush, your water immediately turns either to scalding or freezing and you have singed skin or body parts running for cover. Repeat process, this time with shampoo in your eyes.

So, yes, Nancy I do have a pet peeve and it's stupid shower knobs that require such precise placement to get a comfortable shower. In the Olympics when the Chinese balance beam-er goes through her routine absolutely flawlessly with grace, athleticism and control and sticks the landing, she gets a 9.82 out of 10. Then the girl from Russia goes and falls off twice, cries for a stanza of her song, and then slowly slides off the beam one foot at a time and weeps at the judges, only to receive a 9.26 out of 10. Why have the scale theoretically go from 0 to 10 when you are only going to give people between a 9.2 and a 9.85 anyway? The shower knob is the same thing. If you're going to have a knob that rotates 180 degrees, why make the desired temperature range one tenth of one percent of a degree. It's probably more complicated than I'm making it and isn't that easy of a fix, so Joe the Plumber, please write in and explain to me why. I haven't seen you on TV for a while, you're probably missing the lime light.

My son and I were big fans of yours in Burlington, Iowa. We loved to see you pitch and you always so kind and friendly to talk to. What are your favorite memories of pitching in Burlington and the Midwest League?
Tom and Will, Burlington, IA

Hey Tom and Will, hope you guys enjoyed the championship run last year! For me, after two tours of duty in Burlington and countless bullpen shenanigans, this was tough to narrow down...

A personal favorite of mine, though, was when the team would rally and a sound effect of bees buzzing would play over the loud speakers (we were the Burlington Bees for those of you who aren't die hard Midwest League fans). In the bullpen in 2006, we started to pretend like we were being swarmed by bees. The Bees (capital B) would hit a run scoring double, the sound effect would play and in the bullpen we would all take our hats off and start swatting and running around in the bullpen like idiots being chased by bees. The sound guy at the field must have started to notice and enjoy the ploy and over the course of the year it became a tradition. By the time 2007 rolled around, it was a hit with the fans, too. When we'd score a run or get the bases loaded, the sound would play and everyone would look down at the bullpen and have a laugh.

We eventually realized we had a captive audience when the sound would play (though only for 5 seconds or so) so we got the idea to, instead of waving our hats and acting like we were being swarmed, perform a short skit for the fans. In the bullpen you have an abundance of free time, so one day in the early innings we planned out all the skits for the late inning rallies. It was a crowded game, which made it a prime opportunity. The first time our team got some momentum at the plate, we lined up like a doubles tennis match and played a point using our hats as rackets. We had two ball boys and a line judge, it was beautiful. The second time it went off, we did a "team lift" where one of us bench pressed his hat, the other squatted his hat, the next one was doing curls with his hat and yet another was doing bent over rows. We did a conga line, ran sprints to the foul line and back to the bench twice, and then ended it with duck duck goose.

In hindsight it probably went completely unnoticed by the fans, but we were having a blast and were giggling like we were back in T-Ball. Can't beat fun at the old ballpark, I guess.

Ari Chi3fs
05-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Tonights loss is painful... bases loaded... 1 out... and don't get ANY runs home in a one run game. Redonkulous.

Coach
05-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Tonights loss is painful... bases loaded... 1 out... and don't get ANY runs home in a one run game. Redonkulous.

Yeah, it was frusterating. Still though, while they can't win it all, gotta give them props for at least making it interesting. :shrug:

It's the best you could do, I guess.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Yeah, it was frusterating. Still though, while they can't win it all, gotta give them props for at least making it interesting. :shrug:

It's the best you could do, I guess.

Nah, they shouldve gotten 1 run home period, and we had 9 walks in the game.

Royals made too many mistakes and lost because of it. Simple fundamentals

Coach
05-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Nah, they shouldve gotten 1 run home period, and we had 9 walks in the game.

Royals made too many mistakes and lost because of it. Simple fundamentals

Meh, can't win them all. If they can win today, taking 2 out of 3 against Cleveland, I'd be satisifed.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Meh, can't win them all. If they can win today, taking 2 out of 3 against Cleveland, I'd be satisifed.

But they have to win today, esp with Zack at the helm...

I am pretty critical of this team though...and im tired of meche having a solid game only to not get a win.

No excuse for teahen and ddj at bats, as well as billy swinging at a 2-0 pitch. Hope hillman had a word with each of them.

Great Expectations
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
That Teahen at bat was horrid. Wood walks the bases loaded and Teahen swings at the first two pitches out of the strike zone. He should have been keying fastball out over the middle of the plate and swinging at nothing else. He is the worst clutch hitter in the Majors.

Coach
05-21-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.simleaguebaseball.com/derwood/woodfail.jpg

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1208438.html

Posted on Wed, May. 20, 2009
Royals notebook: Moore offers assessment as club nears one-quarter mark
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
Royals general manager Dayton Moore is among those who view the season’s first 40 games _ roughly the first one-quarter of the season, as a shake-out period where strengths are revealed and weaknesses exposed.

The Royals hit that milestone Wednesday night.

So?

“I like our pitching,” Moore offered, “and we’re still capable of doing better _ especially in the rotation. Offensively, I think we have the potential to be very explosive. We haven’t hit that stride yet. I think that will happen. I know we’re going to score more runs.

“Defensively, in the middle of the diamond, it’s important that we be more consistent. Our biggest need is we have to catch the ball. We’ve got holes. Every major-league team has holes, but I think our holes are fixable.”

It’s hard to quibble with the pitching. The Royals’ team ERA of 3.63, entering Wednesday, was the best in baseball.

The flip side: Only three American League clubs had committed more errors, and their .982 fielding percentage ranked ninth among 14 AL clubs.

The Royals also ranked 11th in runs scored, 11th in batting average, ninth in on-base percentage and seventh in slugging percentage.

“(Alberto) Callaspo has been good,” Moore said. “Coco (Crisp) has been good. Billy Butler has been good. And everybody else is capable of doing much, much better (offensively).

“Our guys just have to produce. These guys are going to get their numbers.”

Bale to Omaha

Rehabbing reliever John Bale passed through the clubhouse Wednesday on way from Class AA Northwest Arkansas to Class AAA Omaha.

“My velocity has been going up,” he said. “I think when I come back here, when the adrenaline gets going, it will naturally go up even more.”

Bale reports no setbacks in his recovery from March 3 surgery to remove a hyperactive thyroid. He had his fifth straight scoreless outing Tuesday in working two innings against Tulsa.

“Counting extended (spring training),” he said, “I probably have 23 or 24 innings in. All my weight is back (to 220 pounds). The medication is working. I’m doing well.”

The Royals, barring a bullpen injury, appear content to allow Bale to serve all 30 allowable days in his rehab assignment. That would mean a June 4 return to active duty.

Soria throws again

Injured closer Joakim Soria tested his strained right rotator cuff by throwing from flat ground in a pre-game workout for the second consecutive day.

His assessment: “Very good.”

Soria is still three to five days away from throwing from a mound. That points to at least two more weeks before he returns to active duty since current plans call for him to make a minor-league rehab assignment.

Aviles back in lineup

Shortstop Mike Aviles returned to the lineup after missing the last four games because of a strained right forearm.

“He didn’t have any unusual stiffness or soreness,” manager Trey Hillman said, “from what was a good workout for him (on Tuesday). Hopefully, that’s one of the answers in productivity.”

Aviles carried a .194 average into Wednesday’s game after batting .325 last season as a rookie.

Farnsworth on roll

Veteran reliever Kyle Farnsworth has a streak of 10 straight scoreless appearances, covering 11 innings, after working a one-two-three ninth inning Tuesday against the Indians.

That success has lowered his earned-run average from 18.90 to 4.40. He has allowed just six hits in his streak while striking out eight and walking two. Opponents are batting just .154 against him, and he has thrown 113 of his 166 pitches for strikes.

The streak is the fourth longest in Farnsworth’s 11-year career. He had a 16-game run for Detroit from May 11-June 14, 2005. After being traded that year to Atlanta, he had a 13-game streak from Aug. 16-Sept. 11, 2005.

Farnsworth also had an 11-game streak last season for the Yankees from June 27 to July 25.

Minor details

Third baseman Mike Moustakas, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft, got three more hits Tuesday night in Class A Wilmington’s 9-7 victory at Salem. Moustakas has a 10-game hitting streak that has raised his average to .288.

He also has 12 RBIs in his last nine games for a club-leading 30, which ranks fourth in the Carolina League.

Coach
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
That success has lowered his earned-run average from 18.90 to 4.40. He has allowed just six hits in his streak while striking out eight and walking two. Opponents are batting just .154 against him, and he has thrown 113 of his 166 pitches for strikes.

Somebody check his locker for HGH....

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Heard this morning that the Pirates might consider trading Jack Wilson.

Thoughts? Defensively, he's be a HUGE upgrade.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM

I wonder how much it'd take

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I wonder how much it'd take

Couldn't possibly be THAT much.

Dude will be 32 this December, and, offensively, well...he's just meh:

.269/.312/.375 (career)

That said, if he could catch the ball and have greater range, I'd be happy with the acquisition. Dude is supposed to have some "baggage," though. Weird cat, apparently.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Couldn't possibly be THAT much.

Dude will be 32 this December, and, offensively, well...he's just meh:

.269/.312/.375 (career)

That said, if he could catch the ball and have greater range, I'd be happy with the acquisition. Dude is supposed to have some "baggage," though. Weird cat, apparently.

I'm sure Dayton has to be on the phone if he is available...hopefully trade some minor league reliever

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm sure Dayton has to be on the phone if he is available...hopefully trade some minor league reliever

Absolutely.

We have to be more solid up the middle to have a chance at this thing.

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
send guillen home to the pirates

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
send guillen home to the pirates

Complete with that fucking YouTube video of him gunning that dude from the RF track.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Absolutely.

We have to be more solid up the middle to have a chance at this thing.

I think he'd make up for Callaspo ineptness, but atleast he's a double's machine. Aviles is a pena jr but more frustrating

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Complete with that ****ing YouTube video of him gunning that dude from the RF track.

for how much bo jacksons throw gets love that one was tougher

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I heard Yuniesky Betancourt is also a possible trade option.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Bowman adds that the Braves are likely to shop Jeff Francoeur, but the prospects are grim given his performance in recent times. The Braves are still hurting for power at the corner outfield spots.

MLBtraderumors.com

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I heard Yuniesky Betancourt is also a possible trade option.

Yeah, that's an option, too.

Moore has already tried to acquire this guy once, offering Butterball in return.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Tim Melville's professional debut in Burlington:

6 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Tim Melville's professional debut in Burlington:

6 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts

Nice, i'll take it!

WilliamTheIrish
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM

It's a conundrum for sure.

If we make a play for Wilson, and that's a huge IF, we cannot give up any "A" prospects.

Wilson is FA at seasons end and I do not want to lose anybody on the farm for him. If realistically we can sign him, then yea. Other than that, this team will have to pass.
Unless DM thinks he's the guy who can put us over the top. But I don't know that Wilson would make that difference. It's all about the pitching right now.

Tough call.

DeezNutz
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Petro says he'd give up Moosetacos for Jake Peavy.

lloollalsaszzz.

Fuck. No.

Sure-Oz
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Petro says he'd give up Moosetacos for Jake Peavy.

lloollalsaszzz.

****. No.

Hell no you give up ryan shealy, donnie darko, and the rights to jose rosado

thurman merman
05-23-2009, 09:51 AM
is there any possible reason that the royals could have at this point for justifying having horacio ramirez and mike aviles in the major leagues?

Sure-Oz
05-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Aviles needs to be sent down and we just need to go with bloomy at SS...

Ramirez blows, there has to be someone in the minors that can do better

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Aviles placed on 15-day DL. Hochevar sent down to Omaha.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1213561.html

Bowser
05-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Aviles placed on 15-day DL. Hochevar sent down to Omaha.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1213561.html

Hochevar was actually starting to pitch a little as the game wore on. And Aviles should be on the bus with him.

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Ready to play the bust card for Hochevar?

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Ready to play the bust card for Hochevar?

I'm glad you weren't in charge when Zack went through his stuff. My God, have some patience.

MoreLemonPledge
05-23-2009, 10:51 PM
He's so good in Triple-A. Headcase?

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 10:58 PM
He's so good in Triple-A. Headcase?

No. Still young and still learning how to pitch in the major leagues. Maybe they send him down now after having some positives to build on with this last start. He'll be fine...and so will the Royals.

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm glad you weren't in charge when Zack went through his stuff. My God, have some patience.

Did I say that he was?

Is a question now a statement?

But Greinke is a terrible comparison. He had done more at 20 than Hoch, a college/semi-pro pitcher, has shown at 25. It's time for this kid to perform.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Did I say that he was?

Is a question now a statement?

But Greinke is a terrible comparison. He had done more at 20 than Hoch, a college/semi-pro pitcher, has shown at 25. It's time for this kid to perform.

Fair enough...let me re-phrase my response.

No, I don't think Hoch is a bust. But if we can parlay him in a trade to buik up our lineup, I'd think about it.

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Fair enough...let me re-phrase my response.

No, I don't think Hoch is a bust. But if we can parlay him in a trade to buik up our lineup, I'd think about it.

I'd trade him in a second.

Sinkerballers who don't have an "out" pitch typically don't project to top-of-the-rotation guys. He's no better than a #3, assuming he plays to his potential.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd trade him in a second.

Sinkerballers who don't have an "out" pitch typically don't project to top-of-the-rotation guys. He's no better than a #3, assuming he plays to his potential.

If he figures it out, I think he could be a lot like Derek Lowe. But I'll agree with you in that he could be good trade bait in a deal that could net us a guy like Matt Holliday. Maybe we could send DeJesus and Hoch. to the A's along with 2 minor leaguers for Holliday and Cabrera? Wild speculation, obviously.

tk13
05-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Hochevar was getting ground balls today. The two walks in the first killed him too. Obviously it's gonna be the typical gnashing as everyone was sure he should be up over Ponson and now everyone's gonna think he's a bust. I think he has stuff to work on, holding runners on being a big one. But it's probably not a good combo to have such a bad infield defense combined with some of our ground ball pitchers.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Hochevar was getting ground balls today. The two walks in the first killed him too. Obviously it's gonna be the typical gnashing as everyone was sure he should be up over Ponson and now everyone's gonna think he's a bust. I think he has stuff to work on, holding runners on being a big one. But it's probably not a good combo to have such a bad infield defense combined with some of our ground ball pitchers.

That's a good point. Just like Zack likes having his own catcher, we might want to use a defensive combination, especially up the middle, when a guy like Hoch. is pitching.

KcMizzou
05-23-2009, 11:23 PM
So I guess this is where we begin the gnashing of the teeth... and wondering if it's worthwhile to hang in there.

I can't say I'm sure it is... but I will. A fan's a fan.

They'll bounce back. (right?)

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
True about the defense. And the timing of the demotion is questionable at best. Today's performance should have earned the kid another start. What it does say to me, however, is that the organization doesn't have much faith in Hochevar's stuff.

I'm calling BS on Moore's public endorsement of Hochevar that appeared in the Star a day or two back.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:26 PM
So I guess this is where we begin the gnashing of the teeth... and wondering if it's worthwhile to hang in there.

I can't say I'm sure it is... but I will. A fan's a fan.

They'll bounce back. (right?)

Right. They'll be fine.

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Define fine?

Are they about a .500 team? Yeah, probably. And, yes, this is progress...

But you'll have to forgive my lack of excitement over mediocrity. Yeah, we've been a fucking joke for 15 years or so and Rome...yada, yada, yada...but whatever.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Define fine?

Are they about a .500 team? Yeah, probably. And, yes, this is progress...

But you'll have to forgive my lack of excitement over mediocrity. Yeah, we've been a ****ing joke for 15 years or so and Rome...yada, yada, yada...but whatever.

No, by fine I meant contend for the division title. Yeah, it's probably optimistic in light of the way they're playing right now, but I think they'll get it going again. Getting Soria and Gordon back will, IMHO, give us a big boost. Also, I was encouraged by Davies' last start and believe Gil is going to get it going. If Dayton can make a trade to boost the offense, we'll be in it to win it.

.500 would be an improvement but disappointment to me.

DeezNutz
05-23-2009, 11:34 PM
No, by fine I meant contend for the division title. Yeah, it's probably optimistic in light of the way they're playing right now, but I think they'll get it going again. Getting Soria and Gordon back will, IMHO, give us a big boost. Also, I was encouraged by Davies' last start and believe Gil is going to get it going. If Dayton can make a trade to boost the offense, we'll be in it to win it.

.500 would be an improvement but disappointment to me.

Damn, dude. You're an optimist.

With this defense and offense, I think .500 is about this team's ceiling. Soria will provide much help, assuming he's 100 percent, but Gordon is just another guy.

CaliforniaChief
05-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm optimistic, but I don't see any of those scenarios I've offered as being outlandish.

MoreLemonPledge
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Damn, dude. You're an optimist.

With this defense and offense, I think .500 is about this team's ceiling. Soria will provide much help, assuming he's 100 percent, but Gordon is just another guy.

.500 may well win the division as poor as it is. I really feel that Gordon would have had his break out season if not for the injury. I still think he'll be better than what we've seen in the past.

chiefqueen
05-24-2009, 06:38 AM
True about the defense. And the timing of the demotion is questionable at best. Today's performance should have earned the kid another start. What it does say to me, however, is that the organization doesn't have much faith in Hochevar's stuff.

I'm calling BS on Moore's public endorsement of Hochevar that appeared in the Star a day or two back.

I think Hochever was sent down because KC has 2 off days in 5 days coming up (5/28 and 6/1) so KC does not need a #5 starter again until 6/5 (besides I shouldn't think those of you with 5/31 tix would complain, that's should now become a Grienke start).

By sending him down Luke can make a start in Omaha.

Al Bundy
05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think Hochever was sent down because KC has 2 off days in 5 days coming up (5/28 and 6/1) so KC does not need a #5 starter again until 6/5 (besides I shouldn't think those of you with 5/31 tix would complain, that's should now become a Grienke start).

I remember a quote about Luke following the Oakland game about how he wasn't making the physical adjustments? Seems like he didn't make them against Baltimore and against St. Louis he was still behind batters quite a bit. Didn't seem like he was making all of the physical adjustments all the way around or at least the way they have been asking him to.

WilliamTheIrish
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Top of the rotation coming up and very real possibility to creep closer to the Tigers. These bats... ugh.... have got to start hitting. It's frustrating watching this kind of futility.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Yay! We are at .500 now! woo hoo.

bleh.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM

And because he sucks.

petegz28
05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Top of the rotation coming up and very real possibility to creep closer to the Tigers. These bats... ugh.... have got to start hitting. It's frustrating watching this kind of futility.

Hopefully Meche can go for more than 87 pitches...

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Verlander vs Meche:

In his last 5 starts Verlander has 51 K's. His last start against Texas broke his string of double digit K's in 3 consecutive starts.

This game might be one of those 1:57 minute jobs the way the Royals are swinging the bats.

Tuesday night Zack against Edwin Jackson: JAckson is 4-2 2.55. This guy has always been a decent pitcher. This year he seems to have tamed that slider and it's been the difference. His BB/9 are down from almost 5 to just over 2. That'll make you a more effective pitcher right there.

FanGraphs write up on Jackson:

Jackson’s getting slightly more first pitch strikes and a bucket load more of hitters chasing him outside of the zone. Why? As it turns out, Jackson’s slider has experienced a metamorphosis in his short time spent in Detroit. Velocity has remained the same as the break has shifted. No longer is Jackson’s slider sweeping towards lefties, instead the break is far more subtle, and perhaps far more deceptive. Rather than breaking ~2 inches, it’s breaking 1, and the vertical movement is ‘down’ about an inch as well.

Whether Jackson has gained control over the pitch with this change – whatever the change may be, it’s the only one in his arsenal, because he’s no longer throwing his change-up very often – or simply a deceptive trick, it bears resemblance to another slider on the Tigers staff, Armando Galarraga. Whether this is a Galarraga hand-me-down or a Rick Knapp lesson, it seems to be working. We’ll see if it continues.

This series is going to make or break us for the next 4 weeks. Possibly the year. Soria is still 10 days out. And even then....

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:25 AM
POsted on 05/04:

With those three games in Minnesota done, we stand a chance to make some real headway in the division.

17 of our next 25 games are AT HOME! Of those 17 home games 11 are against the AL Central.

Here's the breakdown:

CHISOX: 5

Detroit: 3

Cleveland: 3

Out of division home games:

Baltimore: 4

Seattle: 2

We enter the last week of May with a 22-22 record. Still have a good chance for a winning month of May. Been a good while since the franchise had btb winning months. The Royals are 10-11 for the month.

These next 6 against the Tigers and CHISOX are as big as May baseball gets. (Until the next 6)

Pioli Zombie
05-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Royals baseball. Making May baseball matter again.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Purchased my patriotic type hat this weekend. Saw these on line and had to have have it. It's a flat billed, Dontrelle Willis style, but still, it was too damn handsome a cap for me to turn down:

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Got this one for my son.

petegz28
05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
POsted on 05/04:

We enter the last week of May with a 22-22 record. Still have a good chance for a winning month of May. Been a good while since the franchise had btb winning months. The Royals are 10-11 for the month.

These next 6 against the Tigers and CHISOX are as big as May baseball gets. (Until the next 6)

We had better make contact today. Otherwise we stand to have 15 K's against Verlander. If you get some hits on him he gets rattled. And Meche has to have a solid 7-8 innings. None of this "my back is stiff" shit. These are the games here that matter. We can atually make up for a lot of our bad play over the last few weeks with a solid series against the Tigers and then the Chi-Sox.

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:37 AM
The June schedule starts with a nine game road trip to Tampa (3) Toronto (3), and finishes in Cleveland (3). That's why it's imperative to go 4-2 in the last 6.

8-12 road record currently.

WilliamTheIrish
05-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Pitching matchup for Wednesday courtesy of kcr.com 1pm start time:

Wednesday, May 27 Kauffman Stadium | 1:10 PM CT

Rick Porcello, RHP (5-3, 3.55)
Tigers (24-18) @

Kyle Davies, RHP (2-3, 4.78)
Royals (22-22)

Scouting Report:
Tigers: Another win in this start would make Porcello the first Major League pitcher 20 years old or younger to win five straight starts since Dwight Gooden did so in 1985. As it is, Porcello is already just the sixth pitcher since 1900 to pitch four straight starts and allow one or no runs before his 21st birthday, joining the illustrious group of Kerry Wood, Fernando Valenzuela, Walter Johnson, Christy Matthewson and Chief Bender. None of those outings for Porcello came against the Royals, who beat him in Kansas City last month when the right-hander allowed four earned runs over six innings, including two home runs.
Royals: Davies is coming off a good six-inning effort against the Cardinals. He held St. Louis to just three hits and two runs but lost because the Royals were shut out. Davies' command wobbled a bit in the first inning, when he gave up both of his runs, but he then retired 15 straight batters. Davies has had problems in the first inning that he needs to resolve his next time out. For the most part, he kept his pitches down in St. Louis on his way to picking up seven strikeouts. In his other start against the Tigers this year, Davies was hammered for seven runs in 5 1/3 innings, giving up two homers.

CaliforniaChief
05-25-2009, 10:38 AM
So here's a series where the Tigers would have to be favored to win 2 out of 3 with the pitching matchups. We've been down this road before with these predictions, so maybe we'll lose the greinke game and win the other 2? LOL I'd take that.

Coach
05-25-2009, 10:50 AM
They need to win out those 3 games to make up their ground....

petegz28
05-26-2009, 08:42 AM
I think today was the first day since the start of this thread that I didn't see it in the first page. The Royals interest is flopping along with the team.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 10:15 AM
They are playing about as bad as any team can play...

Our offense is seriously killing us, and our pitching besides greinke needs to step up badly

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I seriously don't get this team. They can play pretty damn well, have confidence and execute for the first month, then just as quickly sink into the same pit they've been in year after year and not do a damn thing right. Is it leadership... or a lack thereof? Is it talent... or a lack thereof? I know we could use more talent but they were good enough to have a great spring (not the same as the regular season I know) and have a good first month? So why can't they keep playing at least well enough to be .500 this month? Are they cursed? We've seen that they can play well and even overcome... until they just inexplicably can't anymore.

The 4 run comeback in the 9th a week or so ago should have inspired them and given them great confidence... you would think. Instead they go directly into a shell.

Injuries may be playing a part but you can't blame that because the guys who are playing just went from getting it done to not being able to find their ass with both hands and a flashlight.

You could call it a slump... if it were the Yankees or Red Sox or any team that has shown they can pull out of a slump and win anyway. With this team it just seems like the beginning of the end. Again.

ChiTown
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I think today was the first day since the start of this thread that I didn't see it in the first page. The Royals interest is flopping along with the team.

Fan's of this team are fragile. We've had high hopes over the years, only to be squashed by the futility of this Franchise.

It appears we have an Excellent #1 pitcher, a few nice "other" pitchers, a great (injured closer), a strange and ineffective hitting lineup and a retard for a Manager. That just screams - EXCITEMENT

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
The team needs more talent in the worst way...we can't even play solid defense

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 10:53 AM
It appears we have an Excellent #1 pitcher, a few nice "other" pitchers, a great (injured closer), a strange and ineffective hitting lineup and a retard for a Manager. That just screams - EXCITEMENT

Yep. Overall lack of talent still the main problem with this organization.

An ace and a handful of "nice" ML players isn't enough. To add to this, defensively we're terrible, and we're particularly weak up the middle.

Given the current roster, if the team finishes .500, that would be an achievement.

ChiTown
05-26-2009, 11:03 AM

I can't believe I missed that in my rant. The D!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Defense is bad, but at least we lead the Majors in fewest Sac Flies............

I got nothin

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 11:07 AM

There's only so many times a fan... even a dedicated one... will take being beaten over the head with a tack hammer and left raped and bloodied in a ditch with their wallet missing... by their team, before you just stop going into that neighborhood.

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
There's only so many times a fan... even a dedicated one... will take being beaten over the head with a tack hammer and left raped and bloodied in a ditch with their wallet missing... by their team, before you just stop going into that neighborhood.

LMAO

Apparently this is misplaced. This post belongs in the Royals slogan thread.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I can't believe I missed that in my rant. The D!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Defense is bad, but at least we lead the Majors in fewest Sac Flies............

I got nothin

we'd probably have a few more wins easy if we could be solid there, we need a SS in the worst way for starters

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't give a fuck if we have to pay 20 mil per year to get a guy. Don't. Care.

We MUST get a ML SS.

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:24 AM
For grins:

Petro claims that his sources say that the Royals are receiving upwards of 100 mil. in revenue sharing.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:28 AM
The Royals might be the top suitor for Jeff Francoeur if the Braves shop him, but not everyone in Kansas City's front office is keen on him. The Red Sox are known to have an eye on Francoeur.

from MLBtraderumors.com

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't give a **** if we have to pay 20 mil per year to get a guy. Don't. Care.

We MUST get a ML SS.

Im glad we didnt pay for furcal, even though he'd be better defensively

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
The Royals might be the top suitor for Jeff Francoeur if the Braves shop him, but not everyone in Kansas City's front office is keen on him. The Red Sox are known to have an eye on Francoeur.

from MLBtraderumors.com

The Bravesification of the Royals continues.... except for the winning part.

Actually I'd probably take him. At least it's a small effort to get better.

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Im glad we didnt pay for furcal, even though he'd be better defensively

Yeah. You're right.

Dude will be 32 this fall, so I probably should have prefaced my comment by saying a legit young SS.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
The Bravesification of the Royals continues.... except for the winning part.

Actually I'd probably take him. At least it's a small effort to get better.

I'd say his value is at an all time low since he can't hit worth crap this year. I'd say it's worth a shot, i think he can be had for a low price

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah. You're right.

Dude will be 32 this fall, so I probably should have prefaced my comment by saying a legit young SS.

They are so damn hard to come by though, i hope we'd try to trade for one maybe

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
They are so damn hard to come by though, i hope we'd try to trade for one maybe

Unfortunately, we'll probably have to draft one or hope we're already done so.

In the short term, we might have to pay a bunch to get a decent stop-gap player.

ChiTown
05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Unfortunately, we'll probably have to draft one or hope we're already done so.

In the short term, we might have to pay a bunch to get a decent stop-gap player.

I'm not looking for a Cracker Jack SS. Hell, I'd take a .250 hitter with some plate discipline, and a solid defensive player.

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm not looking for a Cracker Jack SS. Hell, I'd take a .250 hitter with some plate discipline, and a solid defensive player.

This is how desperate I am to see a decent SS:

I was watching a Rangers game the other day, and Omar Vizquel took over at 2B in the late innings. My first thought: he'd be a hell of an upgrade over anyone we have at SS.

Dude is 42.

Yes, it's that fucking bad for me.

ChiTown
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Dude is 42.

Yes, it's that ****ing bad for me.

Ehem!

I'd kill to get back to 42.:D

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Ehem!

I'd kill to get back to 42.:D

Can you play SS?

ChiTown
05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Can you play SS?

Not sure how nimble I would be at SS. At 6'5" and 240#'s, I'm a better OLB.:)

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Not sure how nimble I would be at SS. At 6'5" and 240#'s, I'm a better OLB.:)

No worries. You still have a role with this organization.

Given your stats, we're sending you along with our contract offer to our next FA SS, just in case we need "to make an offer he can't refuse."

thurman merman
05-26-2009, 12:38 PM

routine grounders and pop ups make me nervous. that should never happen to a major league baseball fan.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
We really should contact rey sanchez or greg gagnes agent

petegz28
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
For grins:

Petro claims that his sources say that the Royals are receiving upwards of 100 mil. in revenue sharing.

That is the bad wrap on Glass and why the owners do not like him. He is taking the revenue sharing and pocketing it as opposed to putting it to use on the roster.

Demonpenz
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
we are going to throw that money at pujols

DeezNutz
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
That is the bad wrap on Glass and why the owners do not like him. He is taking the revenue sharing and pocketing it as opposed to putting it to use on the roster.

In fairness, we're spending a lot in other areas (draft, Latin America, etc.). That said, these expenses are part of the deal for owning a team.

Payroll should absolutely be equal to if not more than whatever the amount received in revenue sharing.

petegz28
05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
In fairness, we're spending a lot in other areas (draft, Latin America, etc.). That said, these expenses are part of the deal for owning a team.

Payroll should absolutely be equal to if not more than whatever the amount received in revenue sharing.

Yep. Kind of hard to argue that you have a $60mil payroll when you got $100mil in revenue sharing alone. That's $100mil before one ticket, one hot dog, one beer, one t-shirt, etc. is even sold.

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Prospecting
Kila Ka’aihue(notes), KC, 1B – Like Chicago Cubs prospect Jake Fox(notes), profiled here last week, Ka’aihue is seemingly blocked at the major league level with Mike Jacobs(notes) (.835 OPS) and Billy Butler(notes) (.794) performing reasonably well for the Royals. A late bloomer, Ka’aihue served notice last season by launching 37 home runs in 124 games split between Double- and Triple-A. He also walked 104 times compared to just 67 strikeouts. This season, after a sluggish April, Ka’aihue is back on track with a 1.040 OPS in May, including five home runs in his past 12 games. Something needs to give for Ka’aihue to get a call from the parent club, but with the Royals sitting in second place in the AL Central, it’s doubtful the team is going to mess with what they got at first base or DH for the time being. If a trade or injury eventually clears a path for the Hawaiian slugger, his power upside offers plenty of fantasy intrigue.

From Yahoo Fantasy Sports "mlb skinny"

I still would like to see this kid get a shot.

SPchief
05-26-2009, 11:42 PM

He also put a little money into the stadium renovation

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 11:44 PM
He also put a little money into the stadium renovention

he shouldve invested more in toilets/KK

SPchief
05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Yep. Kind of hard to argue that you have a $60mil payroll when you got $100mil in revenue sharing alone. That's $100mil before one ticket, one hot dog, one beer, one t-shirt, etc. is even sold.

Hey KK, since when is Glass/the Royals getting $100 million?

SPchief
05-26-2009, 11:51 PM
LMAO, just caught up on the thread from the last few days, pete=hook line n sinker

Sure-Oz
05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Nationals designated RHP Daniel Cabrera for assignment.

Cabrera, long on potential and short on realizing it, will certainly land somewhere on a minor league pact. The Nationals grew fed up with Cabrera and his abysmal 7.88 BB/9. He had been removed from the rotation last week. The move puts the Nationals at 12 pitchers. May. 27 - 11:13 am et

Bring him in???

Sure-Oz
05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ge-fullcount052609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Edes names the Phillies, Brewers, Royals, and Twins as possible suitors for Brad Penny. Edes adds that the Phillies "are already making plans for life without Brett Myers" after this season.

tk13
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
I've always thought the 100 million number was very strange. The Royals haven't even been the lowest payroll team the last few years... if they're truly getting that much, then several teams are getting more. Just two years ago, there were literally 5 or 6 teams in the playoffs with lower payrolls than the Royals. And then none of them are spending it. I think that number might be exaggerated a bit. Maybe not, there was probably a lot of operating costs we don't think about.

But then again, we've made efforts... if we truly signed everyone we'd gone after, we might have 20+ extra in payroll with guys like Torii Hunter and Kuroda and Hudson. But we're still at a point where free agents will take less money to sign somewhere else. We've certainly tried to spend the money, and don't forget we spent more money on last year's draft than any team in the history of baseball. That's no small feat.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Good story from KCR.com about Tug Hulett.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5014076&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

KANSAS CITY -- Tug Hulett doesn't have much time.

The Royals play the Tigers in about 70 minutes, and Hulett is the newest position player on the Kansas City Royals. It's his second time in the big leagues and he's here because Royals shortstop Mike Aviles went on the disabled list.

He doesn't have much time, but this is his story, and he'll tell it one more time. His story has saved lives. His story has made grown men cry. And his story has rocked the lives of a family.

"It was 1992," Hulett says, beginning his story. "We were in Baltimore."

The Hulett brothers were playing in the street before dinner. Their dad, Tim, was playing for the Orioles in Chicago, and their mom was cooking dinner.

The Hulett brothers always played together, always made everything a game, always made everything competitive.

Tug, at 10 years old, was the oldest. Joe was 8. Sam was 6. Jeff was 5.

"We'd look both ways, then we'd run across the street," Hulett says, "gold, silver, bronze."

The next part happened so fast. Hulett remembers Sam saying he was finally going to win the gold. He remembers it was almost time to go home. And he remembers his brother, Joe, yelling, "Sam, wait!"

Sam didn't see the car.

"I reached to grab him and I missed and the car hit him." Hulett says. "I remember at that point, for the first time in my life, feeling completely hopeless."

Hulett did the only thing he knew to do. He grabbed Jeff and Joe, slammed them down on the curb and began to pray.

The next part happened fast, too. His brother Sam was gone. His mom called his father, and he flew home from Chicago.

"I remember Dad coming home and gathering the family together, and saying 'A tragedy like this either tears a family apart or brings it closer together, and we will not let this tear us apart,'" Hulett says.

Hulett's family had always been close. Now they'd become even closer.

Hulett would eventually go on to play college baseball at Auburn. His family had moved to Shreveport, La., and he was just 5-foot-8 and hometown LSU didn't want him. But he found a place where'd he excel. He would be drafted in the 14th round by the Texas Rangers in 2004. He would be traded to the Mariners organization and finally make it to the Majors in 2008. He'd hit a broken-bat single to center field at Kauffman Stadium off future teammate Gil Meche for his first Major League hit.

"I got the ball," Hulett says.

But before he could do any of that, before he could start living again, Tug Hulett had to find peace.

For the first few years after Sam's death, Hulett carried around a burden on his shoulders. He was the oldest brother. It was his game, that race that ended in tragedy. He was just 10 years old, but he was supposed to be in charge, supposed to look after Jeff, Joe and Sam.

"I was pretty dead inside," Hulett says. "I was pretty guilt-ridden for a long time."

Hulett tried to deal with it. He tried to be strong. He tried to hide the hurt. He couldn't.

On the third anniversary of the accident, Hulett couldn't stop crying. He went to his mother and, through tears, he could only say one thing.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Hulett's mom knew what he meant. She looked at her son. She told Tug that they were going to pray, and the pain was going to go away. So they sat, and prayed.

"God will grant you the peace which surpasses all understanding," Hulett says, repeating the prayer more than a decade later.

"I just remember having a peace that I hadn't had in a long time, a joy that I hadn't had in a long time," Hulett says.

He realized that Sam's tragedy didn't have to have a sad ending. He had found peace. Now he would lean on his faith. He would use his story to help others.

Hulett is 26 years old now. After playing 30 games for Seattle last season, he was designated for assignment in February and claimed off waivers by the Royals on Feb. 19. He played 39 games for Triple-A Omaha and hit .296 before being called up to Kansas City.

"I was pleasantly surprised," says Hulett, who saw the infielders ahead of him in Kansas City and wasn't sure if there'd be room for him.

Royals manager Trey Hillman calls him a "ballplayer." A ballplayer that brings energy whether he's in the lineup or on the bench.

"He certainly hasn't been given anything," says Willie Bloomquist, who played with Hulett last year in Seattle. "He's a grinder. He plays the game hard, and plays the game the way it's supposed to be."

A Bible sits on the bottom shelf of Hulett's locker. At just 5-foot-8, Hulett could be mistaken for a clubhouse attendant. The Royals list him at 5-foot-10, but ... "If they've got me at 5-foot-10, I'll take it," Hulett says.

Hulett spent his childhood around big league ballplayers, something that Hillman called an asset.

He idolized his dad and Cal Ripken Jr. and the rest of his dad's teammates on the Orioles.

Now he's getting his second opportunity at the Major League level, and he'd like to stick around for a while.

He can play the infield and he'll play the outfield if that's where he's needed. He said he'd flip balls in the batting cage if that helps Kansas City win.

"Everybody wants to play," Hulett says. "The goal is to play every day, be an everyday guy, but if it takes being a utility player to stay here, I'll do that, and I'll be happy with that."

There isn't much time left, and Hulett has to finish his story. The part where he saved a life.

A few years ago, he went to speak at a school in Alabama. He went to tell his story, and he met the principal before he spoke.

"I know your story," Hulett remembers the principal saying. "Just say what you have to say."

Hulett began to speak, began to speak about his brother Sam and his family and the tragedy that changed his life.

But as he spoke, he looked out at the students and saw nothing. No reaction, no emotion, nothing. He left that school wondering if he even should have been there.

A couple of years later, Hulett was sitting in a clubhouse opening mail and a letter appeared.

It was from a kid who'd been at that school in Alabama. He wrote that he'd been a freshman. He'd lost a brother too, and he didn't know how to deal with it. He'd had a suicide note ready. But he'd listened to Hulett, and the words had saved his life. Sitting in the locker room, Hulett began to bawl. He thought about his brother Sam, and he thought about the kid in Alabama.

"All things kind of work together for good," Hulett says sitting in his chair in the Royals clubhouse. Then he finishes his story.

"It turns out," Hulett says, "that was the principal's son."

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Piching matchups for the weekend series courtesy of kcr.com

Friday, May 29 Kauffman Stadium | 7:10 PM CT

Clayton Richard, LHP (1-0, 3.55) White Sox (21-25) @

Brian Bannister, RHP (4-1, 2.79) Royals (23-24)

Scouting Report:

White Sox: Richard, making just his third start of the season, threw 107 pitches in another strong effort on Saturday, a 4-0 victory over the Pirates. Richard struck out a career-high eight batters in six innings, allowing four hits. He lowered his ERA from 4.33 to 3.55. Richard had made 12 relief appearances this season before being called upon to start on May 12 against the Indians.

Royals: Bannister is really clicking since being recalled from Triple-A, using a dazzling cutter to mystify batters. In his last outing at St. Louis, Bannister worked six innings for the victory, giving up seven hits that included six singles and a double. The Royals have won six of the seven games he's started this season. Among the starters, only Zack Greinke has a better record and ERA. This is his first shot at the White Sox this year; he's 2-3 with a 7.66 ERA against them in his career but that includes a 0-2 mark in four games last year.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:15 AM
Saturday, May 30 Kauffman Stadium | 6:10 PM CT

Mark Buehrle, LHP (6-1, 2.59) @ Gil Meche, RHP (2-5, 4.55)

Scouting Report:

White Sox: Buehrle gave up a season-high 12 hits Sunday against the Pirates but left the game with a 3-1 lead. He gave up just the one run without walking a batter and striking out three but did not factor in the decision. He's walked only 12 batters in 59 innings this season. The southpaw faced Kansas City on April 7 and gave up two runs over six innings but once again earned a no-decision. He is 19-8 with a 3.48 ERA lifetime against the Royals.

Royals: Meche had his shortest outing of the season in his last start, lasting just 2 1/3 innings in a loss to the Tigers. Meche, who has been battling a tight lower back, said his body felt fine after losing for the third time in four starts. According to Meche, he just wasn't pitching well enough to win. It was a tough setback for Meche, who was coming off a quality start against Cleveland on May 20, when he allowed just two runs in six innings but drew a no-decision. Meche's last victory came at Minnesota on May 3, but he does have one solid outing against the White Sox already. He pitched seven innings and allowed one run in a no-decision on Opening Day in Chicago.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Sunday, May 31 Kauffman Stadium | 1:10 PM CT

John Danks, LHP (4-3, 4.59) @ Zack Greinke, RHP (8-1, 0.84)

White Sox: There was no hiding the fact that Danks was not sharp during his start Monday night at Angel Stadium, beginning a six-game road trip covering seven days for the White Sox. But the left-hander battled through six innings to earn the victory, while benefitting from 17 runs and 24 hits of support. Danks gave up three runs to the Angels in the first inning but did not allow another run over the next five, exiting with 112 pitches and just 58 for strikes. Danks allowed the leadoff hitter to reach in five of his six innings and had a career-worst six walks, but gave up just four hits and struck out four. The left-hander completes the road trip and the month of May for the White Sox, pitching on an extra day of rest at Kauffman Stadium. Danks has no record against the Royals in one start this season and has a 1-0 lifetime mark in five starts when facing Kansas City.

Royals: Greinke dazzled again in his last start against Detroit. The Royals' ace had command of all four his pitches and threw his fifth complete game of the season. Greinke allowed just one run while striking out eight. The Royals right-hander still hasn't allowed a home run in 103 innings, and Greinke's only loss came on May 9, when he went eight innings and gave up one run against the Angels. Greinke, who has nine quality starts, is 2-0 against the White Sox. He threw six scoreless innings in Chicago on April 8, then backed that up with a complete game shutout on May 4. Greinke is also undefeated (6-0) at Kauffman Stadium this season.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:36 AM
My favorite minor leaguer, Blaine hardy hasn't pitched this week. Hope he isn't hurt. His totals to date:

39 IP, 33 hits, 11 ER, 4BB 40 K's 2.54 ERA.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Hochevar started in Omaha last night against Fresno. He took the loss but pitched a nice game. He just needs to transfer that shit from Omaha to KC.

6 IP, 8 hits, 3 R (2 earned) 1BB 6K's.

Damn we need that guy to be in Davies spot giving that kind of effort.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:52 AM
Kila seems to be heating up with the weather. I don't think he had a HR in all of April and he has bombed 8 in the last three weeks. Got his OPS up to .988

.311 vs LH pitchers, with no power. 0 HR's and 3 2b, 11BB
.275 vs RH pitchers, tons of power. 8 HR's and 9 2b, 33BB.

If he were a OF we'd have him up already.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Oh and Kila got tossed in the game last night after being called out on strikes.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Johnathon Mayo's top 20 draft projections.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5009386&vkey=draft2009&fext=.jsp

12. Kansas City Royals: Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College
This year's Jason Castro? Sanchez isn't as highly regarded as Castro was last year, but it could happen as a similar reach for the top college catcher in the class. He's a good catch-and-throw guy who showed something with the bat this year. The Royals would probably love for Gibson to slide to here and there's a natural inclination to think they'd also be keen on Missouri product Turner. This is another spot where Storen could be a backup option.

Moobs
05-29-2009, 05:00 AM

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5014076&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

I'm a Royals fan, but even if you're not, read this.

Wow, inspiring.

WilliamTheIrish
05-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Last night:

Baltimore beat Detroit 5-1. O's David Hernandez won his MLB debut. Armando Gallaraga took the loss.

Tigers have 3 more with the Birds this weekend.

Minnesota lost to the Bosox 3-1. Gardenhire and C Redmond got tossed after arguing a close play at the plate.

So the Royals gained a 1/2 game by not playing.

The Twins play three in Tampa this weekend. Tampa's gotta be hurting after blowing the 7 run lead on Monday to the Tribe and getting swept.

Cleveland swept Tampa and have won 7 of 10. Cleveland has three with the Yankees this weekend.

SCTrojan
05-29-2009, 06:58 AM

I'm a Royals fan, but even if you're not, read this.

Wow, inspiring.

Yeah, great story.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Kila seems to be heating up with the weather. I don't think he had a HR in all of April and he has bombed 8 in the last three weeks. Got his OPS up to .988

.311 vs LH pitchers, with no power. 0 HR's and 3 2b, 11BB
.275 vs RH pitchers, tons of power. 8 HR's and 9 2b, 33BB.

If he were a OF we'd have him up already.

I really hope this kid gets a chance with us...

I really like his eye at the plate and the walks, and well that power is carlos pena esque. He looks like he'd be a similiar player.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Let's hope Bannister gets some good defense and solid run support tonight. If they can do that he will get us a win.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Hochevar started in Omaha last night against Fresno. He took the loss but pitched a nice game. He just needs to transfer that shit from Omaha to KC.

6 IP, 8 hits, 3 R (2 earned) 1BB 6K's.

Damn we need that guy to be in Davies spot giving that kind of effort.

Hochevar is throwing stuff in AAA which he is getting away with due to the talent he pitches against. That same stuff is getting his ass handed to him in the Bigs. His pitches stay up and over the plate. Not good. His consistency (or lack thereof) worries me.

Sure-Oz
05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Hochevar is throwing stuff in AAA which he is getting away with due to the talent he pitches against. That same stuff is getting his ass handed to him in the Bigs. His pitches stay up and over the plate. Not good. His consistency (or lack thereof) worries me.

Has he figured out an 'out' pitch yet? I just don't like what i've seen so far from him, there must be some crappy AAA talent or something. I think i'd rather have him down there for quite awhile, but i hear he may be brought back up june 6th when we need a 5th starter again.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Has he figured out an 'out' pitch yet? I just don't like what i've seen so far from him, there must be some crappy AAA talent or something. I think i'd rather have him down there for quite awhile, but i hear he may be brought back up june 6th when we need a 5th starter again.

I'd run Ponson back out there as the starter. Really Ponson had 1 terrible outing. The rest were acceptable for a #4-#5 type pitcher. He just had shitty defense and no run support behind him. Right now compared to Hochevar, I take my chances with Ponson.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Yep, he's coming back up next weekend, I believe.

I keep waiting to see that flash that you'd see from a young Greinke, or from even Kyle Davies at times. Something that tells you the kid has "it". I just have yet to see ANYTHING from him when he's been in the starting rotation.

3K's, 7BB's 14ER's and 2HR's in 11+ innings in 3 starts. That's fk'd up!:eek:

CaliforniaChief
05-29-2009, 09:24 AM
I did notice that Fresno stole 5 bases against Hoch. Didn't he have a problem with that up with KC too?

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I did notice that Fresno stole 5 bases against Hoch. Didn't he have a problem with that up with KC too?

His delivery is so loopy, that guys tend to get a very good jump on him.

This year, in 3 starts
OAK - 1 SB
BALT - 1 SB
STLooser - 2 SB's

petegz28
05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
His delivery is so loopy, that guys tend to get a very good jump on him.

This year, in 3 starts
OAK - 1 SB
BALT - 1 SB
STLooser - 2 SB's

Besides the fact he never thinks to check the runners.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Besides the fact he never thinks to check the runners.

Didn't he pick off a Baltimore base runner?

Dartgod
05-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Yep, he's coming back up next weekend, I believe.

I keep waiting to see that flash that you'd see from a young Greinke, or from even Kyle Davies at times. Something that tells you the kid has "it". I just have yet to see ANYTHING from him when he's been in the starting rotation.

3K's, 7BB's 14ER's and 2HR's in 11+ innings in 3 starts. That's fk'd up!:eek:
I thought he had a pretty good start in St. Loser.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I thought he had a pretty good start in St. Loser.

It was his longest outing of the year, but he was anything but sharp. He managed 1 K in 6+ innings in STL while giving up 2 BB's, 7 hits and 4 ER's.

My expectations are higher than that for a nearly 26 yr old former #1 overall pick.

Dartgod
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
It was his longest outing of the year, but he was anything but sharp. He managed 1 K in 6+ innings in STL while giving up 2 BB's, 7 hits and 4 ER's.

My expectations are higher than that for a nearly 26 yr old former #1 overall pick.
For the #4 starter, at this point I'd take that every time. Yeah, it wasn't what we expect out of a #1 pick, but at this point we need to take any improvement we can get.

Also, IIRC, at least one of those ER came from shoddy defensive play. There was an overthrown cutoff man in the first inning that allowed another runner to get into scoring position. I think they would have only scored 1 run in the first instead of two if the proper throw had been made.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked at the play by play for that game and it didn't go down like I described. It was probably another game where our shoddy defense gave up an earned run.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
For the #4 starter, at this point I'd take that every time. Yeah, it wasn't what we expect out of a #1 pick, but at this point we need to take any improvement we can get.

Also, IIRC, at least one of those ER came from shoddy defensive play. There was an overthrown cutoff man in the first inning that allowed another runner to get into scoring position. I think they would have only scored 1 run in the first instead of two if the proper throw had been made.

True that.

Again, I'm looking at this from a different perspective than most, I guess. If this kid only makes into the Bigs as a #4, then we, yet again, massively failed in our evaluation with one of the top draft picks. I'm disgusted with that more than anything else.

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that he could actually be a solid #2 some day. However, that looks like a massive pipe dream at this point.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Didn't he pick off a Baltimore base runner?

Might have. I was thinking more of the Sizemore trip around the bases and the multiple steals from the Cards.

I never said he couldn't pick guys off. I said he doesn't check the runners. Which is how Sizemore stole 2nd and the very next pitch stole 3rd. Cause Luke wasn't even looking over at him at all.

ChiTown
05-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Might have. I was thinking more of the Sizemore trip around the bases and the multiple steals from the Cards.

I never said he couldn't pick guys off. I said he doesn't check the runners. Which is how Sizemore stole 2nd and the very next pitch stole 3rd. Cause Luke wasn't even looking over at him at all.

I was banging on your use of "never" checks the runners.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 10:22 AM
I was banging on your use of "never" checks the runners.

K well I think generally speaking I am right. He doesn't pay much attention to them until they steal on him once or twice and he remembers he has to do it.

petegz28
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
How sad is it when Bannister has a better WHIP than Meche?

Sure-Oz
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I remember hearing how he'd be the next kevin brown or somethign, epic fail by the royals (hochevar)

CaliforniaChief
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I remember hearing how he'd be the next kevin brown or somethign, epic fail by the royals (hochevar)

My best hope for Hoch. is to be something along the lines of Derek Lowe. I'd take that, but it would certainly be a disappointment for a #1 pick.

And Pete, you raise a great point. Just checking the runners and holding them close is something simple that ANY pitcher can do to help himself. I wonder if he changes his release point with guys on base and McClure just told him to "not worry about the runners." Obviously he's not too concerned.

OmahaChief
05-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Lenny DiNardo with another good start at Omaha last night.

6 Innings 1ER 1W 5H 6K

Brings his season totals to

4-1
3.29 ERA
52 IP 41H 10W 39K

He has started 7 games this year. Guy is a veteran lefty that just might be the guy we have been looking for as a fifth starter. I know they really would like a lefty in KC so Lenny should get a shot soon.

BAS
05-30-2009, 11:09 AM
OK, so this is the repository, so hopefully some of the folks checking this stuff have some knowledge. We know that the Royals are not playing very well right now, but my question is: what are their chances for improving this year and next year? What minor league guys with potential are available in the following areas:

1) Catcher
2) Starting Pitcher
3) Middle Relief
4) Middle Infield
5) Left Field

It seems to be that, right now, we have 2 solid starters (Meche; Grienke), a solid #5 guy (Bannister), a handful of late relief guys (Soria; Cruz; Bale; Colon; perhaps Wright; and I might throw Farnsworth in there after his show in May), one solid middle reliever (Tejeda), and then about 1/2 of a team on offense/fielding (Butler -- 1B; Teahen -- UTIL; Bloomquist -- UTIL; DeJesus -- UTIL; Guillen -- RF; Callaspo -- 2B; Jacobs? -- DH; and maybe Crisp -- CF).

It seems to me that we really need: a full time SS with a bat; two Catchers with real pop and good OBP; a LF with a bat; perhaps a 3B (though Gordon or Moustakas will probably hold down that spot); perhaps a CF with a better arm and more consistent bat (lower priority); a big DH (lower priority); a second solid Middle Reliever (could move Jamey Wright into this role); and a couple of starters to emerge (probably either Davies or Hochevar will be 1, but another needs to come from elsewhere, perhaps even a LHP).

Obviously, no team is without holes, but if we could use Bloomquist, DeJesus, and Teahen as our utility players, this team could be pretty darn good. The question is: between now and the end of 2010, where could some of this happen (please exclude FA acquisitions -- too unpredictable)?

BAS
05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
OK, now here's the followup. Who do we cut/trade to make room for these fictive people? Here are mine:

Pitcher: Mahay; Horacio Ramirez; Sir Sidney Ponson
Players: Tony Pena Jr.; Mike Aviles (maybe); the Catchers (at least 1 of them -- I prefer Buck to leave); Maier (he should be in AAA); Tug (same); Hernandez (same).

DeezNutz
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
OK, now here's the followup. Who do we cut/trade to make room for these fictive people? Here are mine:

Pitcher: Mahay; Horacio Ramirez; Sir Sidney Ponson
Players: Tony Pena Jr.; Mike Aviles (maybe); the Catchers (at least 1 of them -- I prefer Buck to leave); Maier (he should be in AAA); Tug (same); Hernandez (same).

Mahay can stay.

The rest are dismissed.

DeezNutz
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
OK, so this is the repository, so hopefully some of the folks checking this stuff have some knowledge. We know that the Royals are not playing very well right now, but my question is: what are their chances for improving this year and next year? What minor league guys with potential are available in the following areas:

1) Catcher
2) Starting Pitcher
3) Middle Relief
4) Middle Infield
5) Left Field

It seems to be that, right now, we have 2 solid starters (Meche; Grienke), a solid #5 guy (Bannister), a handful of late relief guys (Soria; Cruz; Bale; Colon; perhaps Wright; and I might throw Farnsworth in there after his show in May), one solid middle reliever (Tejeda), and then about 1/2 of a team on offense/fielding (Butler -- 1B; Teahen -- UTIL; Bloomquist -- UTIL; DeJesus -- UTIL; Guillen -- RF; Callaspo -- 2B; Jacobs? -- DH; and maybe Crisp -- CF).

It seems to me that we really need: a full time SS with a bat; two Catchers with real pop and good OBP; a LF with a bat; perhaps a 3B (though Gordon or Moustakas will probably hold down that spot); perhaps a CF with a better arm and more consistent bat (lower priority); a big DH (lower priority); a second solid Middle Reliever (could move Jamey Wright into this role); and a couple of starters to emerge (probably either Davies or Hochevar will be 1, but another needs to come from elsewhere, perhaps even a LHP).

Obviously, no team is without holes, but if we could use Bloomquist, DeJesus, and Teahen as our utility players, this team could be pretty darn good. The question is: between now and the end of 2010, where could some of this happen (please exclude FA acquisitions -- too unpredictable)?

Where could this happen? Dreamland.

The first two of the bold are arguably the hardest positions to find. If you don't draft and develop these guys, good luck getting one. Even trying to trade for a top prospect at these positions in another team's organization would take a king's ransom.

Chiefless
06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Where could this happen? Dreamland.

The first two of the bold are arguably the hardest positions to find. If you don't draft and develop these guys, good luck getting one. Even trying to trade for a topic prospect at these positions in another team's organization would take a king's ransom.

Agreed...very few teams have ONE of those positions filled with players like that let alone both.

WilliamTheIrish
06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Pitching matchups for the start of a nine game roadie that will determine our fate: Come home 4-5, we breathe, anything less and we're gonna slide to the cellar. (JMHO)

Tonight:Tuesday, June 2 Tropicana Field | 6:08 PM CT

Kyle Davies, RHP (2-4, 5.09) Royals (23-27)

Andy Sonnanstine, RHP (3-5, 7.66) Rays (25-28)

Scouting Report:
Royals: Davies worked 5 2/3 innings and allowed eight runs -- five earned -- in his last start against Detroit. He walked two and struck out one, while giving up home runs to Miguel Cabrera and Placido Polanco. Davies had gone at least six innings in his last three starts, but he struggled to get ahead early in the count against the Tigers and his command problems were reflected on the scoreboard. The Royals right-hander has three quality starts in his last four outings, but no wins to show for it. Davies last victory came against the Blue Jays on April 30.

Rays: The best news for the right-hander is he won't have to face Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco again this season. In Wednesday's 12-7 loss, Sonnanstine allowed a three-run homer and an RBI single to Francisco, who is now 8-for-9 with five homers and 12 RBIs in his career off the right-hander. Sonnanstine gave up home runs to Francisco in four straight plate appearances, dating back to July 10, 2008. The loss broke a two-game winning streak for Sonnanstine, who defeated the Indians on May 17 and the Marlins on May 22. Sonnanstine lost to the Twins last season, his only career appearance

BigRock
06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
TPJ OFF THE DL!!!!!

Also, Soria.

Fish
06-02-2009, 04:27 PM
TPJ OFF THE DL!!!!!

Also, Soria.

Do we.... do we.. print things for baseball??

sportsman1
06-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Friggen' Ay'.... Print em with the Mexicutioner back.. but TPJ?... good lord.

Sure-Oz
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
TPJ will win a gold glove/dayton/

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 01:43 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9638796/Would-be-sellers-not-ready-to-start-dealing-...-yet

The Royals are reportedly "kicking around the idea of adding a shortstop." Rosenthal believes the Pirates' Jack Wilson is the best fit, "but only if the Red Sox don't grab [him] first."

thurman merman
06-03-2009, 07:54 AM
TPJ OFF THE DL!!!!!

moves like this are why the royals suck.

hillman's obsession with playing turds like pena and horacio ramirez over and over is killing this team.

i know the rest of the team sucks too, but there are better options than tony pena jr, horacio ramirez, and sidney ponson.

DeezNutz
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Rany on HoRam (www.ranyontheroyals.com):

Horacio Ramirez Sucks. Get Over It.

Come with me, if you don’t mind, on a tour of recent history.

May 21st: Zack Greinke allows two runs in six innings, departing the game with a slender 3-2 lead against the Indians. Horacio Ramirez, who comes into the game with a sparkling 5.84 ERA (his lowest at any point this season), starts the top of the seventh. He allows a leadoff single, and after a bunt and a groundout, surrenders another single to blow the lead. Jamey Wright comes in and allows a go-ahead RBI double; Ramirez is eventually saddled with the loss.

May 22nd: With the Royals now in St. Louis, Kyle Davies follows Greinke’s effort with a six-inning, two-run performance of his own, but his teammates fail to score a run for him. Ramirez once again starts the seventh. After getting two quick outs, Ramirez surrenders a home run to the mighty Tyler Greene. Nonetheless, Ramirez is brought out to pitch the eighth as well, and gives up a single to Skip Schumaker, followed by a double to Brian Barden. He IBB’s Albert Pujols, retires Chris Duncan, and then heads to the showers as Kyle Farnsworth gives up a two-run single to put the game out of reach.

May 24th: Two days later, the Royals once again get a six-inning, two-run effort from their starting pitcher, this time it being Brian Bannister. With the Royals holding a 3-2 lead on St. Louis going to the bottom of the seventh, once again Trey Hillman inexplicably calls on Ramirez. Ramirez retires the first two batters in order, then intentionally walks Pujols with the bases empty. He then allows a wild pitch on his way to walking Chris Duncan, forcing Hillman to make the unconventional move of replacing one lefty reliever with another. In his season debut, John Bale, uh, bales out Ramirez by whiffing Rick Ankiel on three pitches; the Royals would hold on for the win.

May 27th: Ramirez is called on with two outs in the sixth inning to rescue Davies, who has allowed seven runs so far and leaves a man on first base. Ramirez gives up a single to Josh Anderson, and is immediately replaced by Roman Colon, who gives up another single to plate the eighth run before ending the inning.

June 2nd: Once again, Davies is on the mound. Once again, the Royals’ starter has allowed two runs, only in this instance the game is tied, and instead of being called upon to start an inning, Ramirez is brought in with two outs in the sixth – and men on first and second. The first batter he faces, Matt Joyce, hits a two-run double that effectively ends the game. Ramirez would pitch a scoreless seventh, but the game is already over.

Over his last five appearances, Ramirez has pitched four innings, allowed eight hits and five runs. He blew a one-run lead in one game, gave up the tie-breaking runs in another game, allowed a 2-0 deficit to get out of hand in a third game, had to be rescued by another pitcher to preserve a lead in a fourth game, and gave up a hit to the only batter he faced in mop-up relief in the fifth game.

And before this stretch, he had a 5.74 ERA.

It’s now June, and Horacio Ramirez has a 6.86 ERA for the season. He has allowed 27 hits in 19.2 innings. He only has 12 strikeouts. He has walked 10 batters (granted, three intentionally). He has allowed three homers. There is absolutely nothing on his statistical record that is positive.

Lefties are hitting .261/.306/.348, which isn’t bad, but not particularly good. Right-handers are hitting .405/.500/.811. Even Jimmy Gobble thinks that’s bad.

And still Hillman sends him out there, in key situations, gambling that Ramirez won’t cost the Royals yet another game.

I guess it would make sense if the Royals were desperate for a LOOGY, even though Ramirez, you know, doesn’t even make for a good LOOGY. Except last I checked, the Royals have both Ron Mahay and John Bale on the roster, meaning that they’re keeping Ramirez around even though they have two better left-handers in the bullpen.

Look, guys, I know you invested a lot of money in Ramirez. I don’t know why you invested a lot of money, mind you, because he had done nothing to deserve the money, and no other team was particularly interested in offering him a comparable deal. But you did. You blew $1.8 million on a pitcher who doesn’t belong in the major leagues any more. It happens. Teams make mistakes.

But the money is gone, and no amount of putting Ramirez on the mound to justify that contract is going to bring the money back. All you’re accomplishing by keeping Ramirez on the roster is proving that you can’t resist throwing good games after bad money.

I have no idea if the Royals are going to turn things around, whether they’ll get back to .500 this year, whether they’ll contend again in 2009. On paper, there’s no obvious reason why the Royals can’t reverse course. But I know that the Royals aren’t going to win a damn thing so long as they’ve got a GM who isn’t willing to cut losses on a contract that was a mistake the moment it was signed, and a manager who doesn’t understand that just because you have a pitcher on your roster doesn’t mean you have to use him in tight situations.

Horacio Ramirez sucks, guys. The sooner you accept that fact, the sooner we can get around to the business of putting together a winning roster.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you Rany.....now you need another 8 articles on our other sucky players

doomy3
06-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Not Royals related, but the Braves just traded for Nate McClouth. Sounds like a hell of a deal for the Braves...

Nate McLouth-OF- Braves Jun. 3 - 8:06 pm et

Braves acquired outfielder Nate McLouth from the Pirates in exchange for RHP Charlie Morton, LHP Jeff Locke and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.
The Braves had to do something to stimulate their lackluster offense, and Jordan Schafer's demotion left a gaping hole in center field. McLouth will likely hit directly in front of or behind Chipper Jones, increasing his fantasy value while addressing the Braves' woeful middle-of-the-order production. While the Bravos gave up three prospects, none of them are considered potential impact players.

DeezNutz
06-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Not Royals related, but the Braves just traded for Nate McClouth. Sounds like a hell of a deal for the Braves...

Nate McLouth-OF- Braves Jun. 3 - 8:06 pm et

Braves acquired outfielder Nate McLouth from the Pirates in exchange for RHP Charlie Morton, LHP Jeff Locke and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.
The Braves had to do something to stimulate their lackluster offense, and Jordan Schafer's demotion left a gaping hole in center field. McLouth will likely hit directly in front of or behind Chipper Jones, increasing his fantasy value while addressing the Braves' woeful middle-of-the-order production. While the Bravos gave up three prospects, none of them are considered potential impact players.

Schafer? One of the keys to the Greinke deal? No way...

doomy3
06-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Also, the White Sox are already calling up Beckham

White Sox infield prospect Gordon Beckham will be called up from Triple-A Charlotte, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Wilson Betemit will be designated for assignment. The Pale Hose didn't call up their best prospect to ride the pine, so Beckham will likely receive regular at-bats at shortstop, third base and second base. Last year's first-round pick was hitting a robust .435/.417/.609 since being promoted to Triple-A last week. AL-only leaguers will want to add him as soon as possible.
Source: Chicago Tribune
Related: Josh Fields, Wilson Betemit

Deberg_1990
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
But I know that the Royals arenít going to win a damn thing so long as theyíve got a GM who isnít willing to cut losses on a contract that was a mistake the moment it was signed, and a manager who doesnít understand that just because you have a pitcher on your roster doesnít mean you have to use him in tight situations.

Horacio Ramirez sucks, guys. The sooner you accept that fact, the sooner we can get around to the business of putting together a winning roster.

This.

IM not sure i can give Dayton and Hillman a pass any longer. Our roster isnt the best, but we are better than the crap of the past month.

gblowfish
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
One of my favorite Royals Blogs is "Royales with Cheese"
http://royaleswithcheese.blogspot.com/

They're currently comparing and contrasting the Royals offense to a dog's ass.
Blogging at its finest:

Ari Chi3fs
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Such youthful exuberance and optimism early in this thread. What a bunch of ****tards... aren't we.

****ing Royals.

MIAdragon
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Mike Aviles was ordered to shut down his rehab from a strained right forearm for two weeks.

"After the second opinion, they decided the best thing he could do was rest it entirely for another two weeks because of the inflammation in the elbow," manager Trey Hillman said. The inflammation was causing discomfort to Aviles' forearm. Aviles was placed on the 15-day DL on May 23. He will be re-evaluated in two weeks.

Dr. Facebook Fever
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Such youthful exuberance and optimism early in this thread. What a bunch of ****tards... aren't we.

****ing Royals.

We just want to believe man... keep the dream alive... at least until the 3rd month of the season.....

OmahaChief
06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Lefty Lenny DiNardo with another strong outing for Omaha last night. He lost the game as the bully blew it. Omaha is just like KC!

7 2/3 5H 1R and 9Ks with 0 walks.

Season stats

4-1 3.02 ERA 59 IP 46 H 10W 48K .211 Batting average against

He is the lefty we need in KC not HoRam. He has major league exp yet he is still sitting in Omaha when the rest of the staff is imploding. I wonder if they are taking it slow due to the failed Hochever starts. I would like to see Dinardo get a few starts in the bigs to see what happens it can't be much worse then Hoch or Davies.

DeezNutz
06-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Lefty Lenny DiNardo with another strong outing for Omaha last night. He lost the game as the bully blew it. Omaha is just like KC!

7 2/3 5H 1R and 9Ks with 0 walks.

Season stats

4-1 3.02 ERA 59 IP 46 H 10W 48K .211 Batting average against

He is the lefty we need in KC not HoRam. He has major league exp yet he is still sitting in Omaha when the rest of the staff is imploding. I wonder if they are taking it slow due to the failed Hochever starts. I would like to see Dinardo get a few starts in the bigs to see what happens it can't be much worse then Hoch or Davies.

Sold. Bring him up.

ChiTown
06-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Same shit, different day.

Same shitty team, same shitty product

same shitty management, same shitty results

same shitty ownership, same shitty players being put on the field.......only more shitty expensive

Big Club Parts I would keep:

Greinke
Meche
Butler
Soria
& probably Gordon

Everything else you could shit-can and NOT lose a gawdamn thing. Seriously, the make up of this team sucks. The only bright spot is that we have a tremendous load of talent in the minors...................oh, wait.

DeezNutz
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Rany makes a compelling argument for trading for Francoeur.

He suggests trading Guillen, straight up, for JF, with the Royals eating one year on Jose's deal.

I'm on board.

www.ranyontheroyals.com

WilliamTheIrish
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Franceour for Guillen? Are they that desperate for a ..... what would you consider Guillen? A RH PH in the NL? He can't play a position.

WilliamTheIrish
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Same shit, different day.

Same shitty team, same shitty product

same shitty management, same shitty results

same shitty ownership, same shitty players being put on the field.......only more shitty expensive

Big Club Parts I would keep:

Greinke
Meche
Butler
Soria
& probably Gordon

Everything else you could shit-can and NOT lose a gawdamn thing. Seriously, the make up of this team sucks. The only bright spot is that we have a tremendous load of talent in the minors...................oh, wait.

Complete role reversal from your Powertard KSU stuff.

DeezNutz
06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Franceour for Guillen? Are they that desperate for a ..... what would you consider Guillen? A RH PH in the NL? He can't play a position.

There are no televisions in ATL, so they don't know that Guillen can't run.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I say make the trade....francouer is still young and has talent. I believe he has an arm for a RF'er too. His value is probably the lowest its going to get....and im sure they can fit guillen in LF or something...do it dayton!

ChiTown
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Complete role reversal from your Powertard KSU stuff.

WTF are you talking about? Did you get a heat stroke going through the attic trying to find your Dennis Leonard autographed halter top?

WilliamTheIrish
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
WTF are you talking about? Did you get a heat stroke going through the attic trying to find your Dennis Leonard autographed halter top?

I'm amazed you'd continually claim how you're through with this team and then return and tell us all how you're through with this team.

We heard you the first 40 times.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm amazed you'd continually claim how you're through with this team and then return and tell us all how you're through with this team.

We heard you the first 40 times.

You take that "im through with this team" stuff literally?? I take it to mean: I love this team passionately, but im sick of 25 years without playoffs!!

DeezNutz
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Where are y'all getting your draft info? It's time to focus on the future, Royals fans.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Where are y'all getting your draft info? It's time to focus on the future, Royals fans.

Why couldn't the Royals have the #1 pick this year?? out of all the years we aren't at the top, its this year.

We pick 12th, hopefully we get someone good