PDA

View Full Version : Royals 2009 Kansas City Royals Repository.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

ChiTown
07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
"All of which means the Royals, as currently constituted, are likely to be the Royals of the foreseeable future."

ROFL

WOW! Just ****ing WOW!ROFL

It's hard to imagine that this team, with Jacobs, Guillen, Betancourt, Buck/Olivo, Crisp and Gordon can really do enough to even get to .500 ball. What amazes me, is that the majority of the fans recognize this, while our dumbfug GM stares it in the face and appears to have convinced himself that this load of crap can possibly compete.

Royals Baseball: A Comedy of Error's Fiesta!

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm definetly wondering if anything will go down here in the last 2 weeks with trades....

I am ready for baseball tomorrow, and i hear the Royals HOF will be opening tomorrow as well at the K. It will be interesting to see how gordon does the rest of the season and our new SS...

I wonder if glass has attended 4 games in a row at the K?

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/392

OK, as promised, here are some more Zacky sound bites from All-Star week:

On whether he dreamed as a kid of being an All-Star:

"This never crossed my mind. The first thing would be making it to the big leagues. That's what you think about all the time. Then it would be hitting like 60 home runs or winning a World Series. That's pretty much all I thought about, hitting all these home runs or batting .400 and then making it to the big leagues and winning a World Series. Nothing else really crossed my mind growing up."

On the attention he's receiving:

"It really bothered me at first. I got used to not having to deal with it, then it was all this stuff, really annoying, but I kind of got used to it and we found a way to get through it. It was more fun than it was a hassle, really, after a while."

On a reporter's long question:

"I didn't listen to the whole question. Sorry."

On the Royals' handling of his off-field issues:

"The Royals stuck with me. I'm glad they did. I probably tried to get traded a couple times back in the day. But they decided to keep me anyway."

On if it's neat being responsible for having such big crowds on the nights he pitches:

"I really don't think that's the case. I really don't. We've been getting a lot of fans compared to what we usually get. I probably pitched three or four times on either Friday night or giveaway nights. They all come for that anyway. That's the main attraction, I think, is when they do giveaway stuff. I don't know why fans think that's so neat, but they do. I guess the Royals do the best giveaways of any place I've seen."

On Roy Halladay:

"There's nobody else like him. He throws 93-mph sinkers and cutters, and he never misses his spot. Nobody else can do that. There are maybe a handful of guys out there who can throw 93-mph sinkers. Maybe. But they can't control it. There's not much else to say. It's really simple for him...It's not even that fun to watch. I mean, you can watch it if you want to. But it's like that every time."

On how much pitching a winter in Puerto Rico when he was younger helped his career:

"None. Sorry. It might've backtracked me because I was so miserable over there. Not the city so much, but I hated playing baseball there. You'd go to the park for eight hours, it was boring. That was my first time playing professional baseball and being at the field that long and not doing anything, it drove me crazy. I might like it now, because I like Puerto Rico a lot, but the baseball here, I didn't like it."

And then, there was this exchange when Greinke was asked which NL All-Star he'd most like to face:

Zack: Maybe Chipper Jones. Is he here? I'm not even paying attention.

Reporter: No, he's not here.

Zack: He's not even here? Well, he would've been my favorite to face, if he was. Why isn't he, have you heard?

Reporter: Well, the National League third basemen are David Wright and Ryan Zimmerman.

Zack: Is Chipper doing good? Why isn't he here?

Reporter: He's having a good year, just maybe not as good as those other guys.

Zack: He should be here. That doesn't even make any sense. It's like, I'll vote Jeter in for the All-Star game the rest of his career, because you have to. He's Jeter. And I'll vote Chipper Jones in.

LMAO on some of this, esp the give away nights and chipper jones haha.

KCUnited
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1327535.html
“I can separate it,” he says. “I understand what the injuries have done because I’ve been watching this stuff since 1946. But I refuse to let anybody talk about it."

Huh? Dayton was on the radio a few weeks ago using this same excuse.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Huh? Dayton was on the radio a few weeks ago using this same excuse.

Shows how much he really pays attention

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 11:33 AM
"All of which means the Royals, as currently constituted, are likely to be the Royals of the foreseeable future."

ROFL

WOW! Just ****ing WOW!ROFL

It's hard to imagine that this team, with Jacobs, Guillen, Betancourt, Buck/Olivo, Crisp and Gordon can really do enough to even get to .500 ball. What amazes me, is that the majority of the fans recognize this, while our dumbfug GM stares it in the face and appears to have convinced himself that this load of crap can possibly compete.

Royals Baseball: A Comedy of Error's Fiesta!

Yep.

Everything would have to go right for this team to be at .500. Everything.

How often on this board do we mock Chiefs fans who supposedly long for the good ol' days of 9-7? Stupid, right? Meanwhile, Glass and co. are setting that up as our ceiling.

Fuck you, Royals. Fuck. You.

Love,
The few fans you have left.

P.S. Please send me my t-shirt. XL.

Woodrow Call
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
tanana is usually a rock solid source so celebrate Royals fans....

Tony Pena dfa'd
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=281&f=2054&t=4510186&p=1

ChiTown
07-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Tony Pena dfa'd

HELLZ YEAH!

If true

Reaper16
07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
HELLZ YEAH!

If true
Succinctly put.

Reaper16
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1329234.html

It is true. TPJ is gone. Hurrah.

Coach
07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe there is a God after all.....

Nah....

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Tony Pena dfa'd

He's the royals post game host on 610, so yeah id say he's credible

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
If he clears waivers won't he just go to AAA (pena) and we all know he will clear

KCUnited
07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Listening to that Gordon interview they replayed on 610 and it sounds like the guy is still hurt. He said his initial step is still sore and he has to get going to get his legs under him. I'm no hip doctor though.

Reaper16
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Listening to that Gordon interview they replayed on 610 and it sounds like the guy is still hurt. He said his initial step is still sore and he has to get going to get his legs under him. I'm no hip doctor though.
Maybe they'll DH him a lot initially.

KCUnited
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Maybe they'll DH him a lot initially.
Maybe they'll let him fight through it, give him a couple days off here and there before they shelf him for the season.

thurman merman
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/392

OK, as promised, here are some more Zacky sound bites from All-Star week:

On whether he dreamed as a kid of being an All-Star:

"This never crossed my mind. The first thing would be making it to the big leagues. That's what you think about all the time. Then it would be hitting like 60 home runs or winning a World Series. That's pretty much all I thought about, hitting all these home runs or batting .400 and then making it to the big leagues and winning a World Series. Nothing else really crossed my mind growing up."

On the attention he's receiving:

"It really bothered me at first. I got used to not having to deal with it, then it was all this stuff, really annoying, but I kind of got used to it and we found a way to get through it. It was more fun than it was a hassle, really, after a while."

On a reporter's long question:

"I didn't listen to the whole question. Sorry."

On the Royals' handling of his off-field issues:

"The Royals stuck with me. I'm glad they did. I probably tried to get traded a couple times back in the day. But they decided to keep me anyway."

On if it's neat being responsible for having such big crowds on the nights he pitches:

"I really don't think that's the case. I really don't. We've been getting a lot of fans compared to what we usually get. I probably pitched three or four times on either Friday night or giveaway nights. They all come for that anyway. That's the main attraction, I think, is when they do giveaway stuff. I don't know why fans think that's so neat, but they do. I guess the Royals do the best giveaways of any place I've seen."

On Roy Halladay:

"There's nobody else like him. He throws 93-mph sinkers and cutters, and he never misses his spot. Nobody else can do that. There are maybe a handful of guys out there who can throw 93-mph sinkers. Maybe. But they can't control it. There's not much else to say. It's really simple for him...It's not even that fun to watch. I mean, you can watch it if you want to. But it's like that every time."

On how much pitching a winter in Puerto Rico when he was younger helped his career:

"None. Sorry. It might've backtracked me because I was so miserable over there. Not the city so much, but I hated playing baseball there. You'd go to the park for eight hours, it was boring. That was my first time playing professional baseball and being at the field that long and not doing anything, it drove me crazy. I might like it now, because I like Puerto Rico a lot, but the baseball here, I didn't like it."

And then, there was this exchange when Greinke was asked which NL All-Star he'd most like to face:

Zack: Maybe Chipper Jones. Is he here? I'm not even paying attention.

Reporter: No, he's not here.

Zack: He's not even here? Well, he would've been my favorite to face, if he was. Why isn't he, have you heard?

Reporter: Well, the National League third basemen are David Wright and Ryan Zimmerman.

Zack: Is Chipper doing good? Why isn't he here?

Reporter: He's having a good year, just maybe not as good as those other guys.

Zack: He should be here. That doesn't even make any sense. It's like, I'll vote Jeter in for the All-Star game the rest of his career, because you have to. He's Jeter. And I'll vote Chipper Jones in.

LMAO on some of this, esp the give away nights and chipper jones haha.

ROFL

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe they'll let him fight through it, give him a couple days off here and there before they shelf him for the season.

Yeah, I'm going with...maybe our high-quality medical staff will completely fuck everything up?

Demonpenz
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
no need to risk gordon this year

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
What's there to risk? Teahen II will be fine.

Like the rest of us, he'll be ok to watch Braun and Zimmerman in the All-Star game next year.

Sure-Oz
What's everyones favorite TPJ memory besides being cut?

2 triples in his royals debut for me

SPATCH
no need to risk gordon this year

what? so you're just going to give up?

didn't you hear? glass and moore are still committed to winning this year...

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:30 PM
What's everyones favorite TPJ memory besides being cut?

2 triples in his royals debut for me

Kicking routine groundballs while Fever washes his.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Kicking routine groundballs while Fever washes his.

:clap:

There are idiots on MLBtraderumors commenting about TPJ hoping that their team will grab him and make him a pitcher cause he supposedly has a 95mph fastballLMAO

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
:clap:

There are idiots on MLBtraderumors commenting about TPJ hoping that their team will grab him and make him a pitcher cause he supposedly has a 95mph fastballLMAO

Fuck, it's a lot smarter than how we were using him for the past year...

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
****, it's a lot smarter than how we were using him for the past year...

I dont see why they dont convert him, he actually wasnt bad his 1 relief outing

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:33 PM

If he clears, I'm all for it.

Did you hear that? Dayton just sighed...

SPATCH
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM

yesssssssssssssssssssss

he seriously looked like a pitcher... it was legitimate.

lanky, slinging motion... decent velocity with a little movement

i truly believe that he could make it as a reliever in the bigs

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:38 PM
If he clears, I'm all for it.

Did you hear that? Dayton just sighed...

DM=brilliant!!

he wouldve thought of this before us!1111111111

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 08:38 PM
yesssssssssssssssssssss

he seriously looked like a pitcher... it was legitimate.

lanky, slinging motion... decent velocity with a little movement

i truly believe that he could make it as a reliever in the bigs
Hell Ron Mahay sucked as an OF'er and made it as a reliever, i can't see why not either.

BigRock
07-16-2009, 08:45 PM
The Youtube vid of the whole inning is gone. :(

But MLB still has the TPJ pitching highlights:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200807223172128

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Good thing the video evidence exists; Dayton never would have believed the numbers.

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Meche might go to the DL? Is that right? Some speculation to this effect on the Scout board...Apparently the move would be retroactive to his last start.

Petro said that if Meche lands on the DL, he'll openly call for Hillman's job.

Good times when for fans of a haplessly run organization.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Meche might go to the DL? Is that right? Some speculation to this effect on the Scout board...Apparently the move would be retroactive to his last start.

Petro said that if Meche lands on the DL, he'll openly call for Hillman's job.

Good times when for fans of a haplessly run organization.

I think he will go on the DL, they have Ponson up right now too i believe along with Chen.

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Would you trade callaspo for downs or qualls? (fantasy team)

Umm...yeah, I'd be open to a possible trade. Probably Downs.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Umm...yeah, I'd be open to a possible trade. Probably Downs.

ha i was just going to propose and see, i need a 2b, ill offer downs. its up to you now

trade is proposed...

KCUnited
07-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Gil is really going to have to alter the way he works out in the offseason if he wants to be able to make it 162.

DeezNutz
07-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Gil is really going to have to alter the way he works out in the offseason if he wants to be able to make it 162.

I think you might be right, Trey. Ask Gil for some suggestions. He's a vet, so he'll know.

Sure-Oz
07-17-2009, 12:18 AM
In response to someone mentioning the Yunel Escobar-Matt Holliday rumors, MLB.com's Mark Bowman says "There is zero truth to those Escobar rumors. The Braves have NO and I repeat no intention to move him. Believe me, if they move him, it will simply be a deal that they simply can't refuse and that wouldn't include anything involving Holliday."

I don't know what to think anymore...i sure as hell wouldn't trade him

Sure-Oz
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1329654.html

Betancourt says trade to Royals offers `fresh start’
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

All introductions typically start with a name. So meet Yuniesky Betancourt, the Royals’ new shortstop.

It’s pronounced yoon-ee-ESS-kee BET-an-court, and he’ll wear No. 3 when he suits up Friday for the first time with his new club.

And know the spotlight is already blue hot.

Even Betancourt acknowledges he wore out his welcome in Seattle, where his declining production still has critics blasting the Royals for surrendering two minor-league pitching prospects in last Friday’s deal.

“I felt a trade was necessary,” Betancourt said Thursday with special-assignment coach Eddie Rodriguez serving as translator at a pre-workout news conference at Kauffman Stadium.

“This particular club wanted me. I knew I would come here with respect (from the club), and I’m ready to play. A change of scenery is good. It gives me a clear mind and a fresh start.”

Betancourt, 27, arrives with a .250 average — and a .278 on-base percentage — through 63 games but hasn’t played in the big leagues since June 24 because of a strained right hamstring.

He was three for 15 in four minor-league rehab games, including two for 13 in three games for Class AA Northwest Arkansas following his acquisition last Friday from Seattle.

Betancourt says he is “100 percent” healthy, and plans call for him to be in the starting lineup Friday when the Royals open a three-game weekend series against Tampa Bay at the K.

General manager Dayton Moore also fired back at the deal’s critics by reiterating the club’s belief Betancourt will blossom in new surroundings into a long-term answer at shortstop.

“You acquire talent based on what you believe (a player) can do in the future,” Moore said, “and not necessarily what he did in the past. We have people who believe Yuniesky Betancourt is going to continue to get better through a change of scenery.

“When our top advisors, people I consider the very best evaluators in the game, advise me that, `If you can get this guy, you get him,’ that’s exactly what we did.”

The Royals surrendered right-hander Dan Cortes and lefty reliever Derrick Saito in the deal.

Cortes, 22, was the organization’s minor-league pitcher of the year last season after going 10-4 with a 3.78 ERA in 23 starts at Class AA Northwest Arkansas.

He plateaued this season while remaining with the Naturals, at 3-3 and 3.92 in 16 starts, and also drew unwanted attention earlier this month when arrested for intoxication and disorderly conduct when arrested for allegedly urinating on a fence near a bar in Fayetteville, Ark.

Saito, 21, was a 16th-round pick in 2008 and has yet to progress past low A ball. He has a 4.24 ERA in 40 career appearances but also 90 strikeouts in 85 innings.

The Royals are also obligated to pay roughly $7 million of the $10 million remaining on Betancourt’s contract over the next 2½ years. That includes a $2 million buyout on a club option for 2012.

“When you’re trying to put the pieces together and make a payroll work,” Moore said, “you’ve got to take advantage of players like that. ... Based on the opportunities we have at the shortstop position internally and what we predict our opportunities will be in 2010 and beyond, it’s a very good move for our baseball team.

“When you talk to baseball people around the league, they would agree with that as well. So we’re very confident that Yuniesky is going to come in here and perform well for us. We think he’s going to continue to get better.”

Betancourt said he isn’t sure what went wrong in Seattle but dismissed the suggestion that he lost his motivation — and permitted his skills to erode — after signing a four-year contract extension in April 2007 for $13.75 million.

“I really prepared in the off-season for this season,” he said. “I just don’t know why things didn’t click. Sometimes, players go through phases like that. I felt I went through one this year.

“What you can expect from me is I will come out and give 100 percent and work hard. I understand there will be some mistakes. I’m going to make some errors, but that comes within the game. But let it be known that I’m going to give 100 percent.”

Betancourt was a star in Cuba, where he played with Royals catcher Brayan Peña on the national junior team, before escaping to Mexico in 2004 after three seasons with Villa Clara of the Cuban National League.

The Mariners signed Betancourt as a non-drafted free agent on Jan. 26, 2005 for $2.826 million over four years. He spent just 101 games in the minors that year before making his big-league debut on July 28.

Betancourt quickly drew raves for his fielding prowess while providing the Mariners with an offensive threat. That led to his contract extension before everything went downhill.

“I told our people before we made this deal,” Moore said, “that we would be criticized by some people in this game in a similar way, and maybe even more so, as when we signed Gil Meche. That’s how I put it to our evaluators and our people.

“We have people over here who believe in him. We have people over here who understand the Latin player and know what they experience and go through. We feel we can get the most out of our players. That’s why we were aggressive in making the move.”

Betancourt said he wants to repay that confidence.

“I don’t feel I have anything to prove,” he said, “other than to myself and to an organization that has shown confidence in me by bringing me here — the people who have trusted in my ability and what I have done.

“Those are the people who I need to prove something to.”

Sure-Oz
07-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Gil Meche to dl backdated to last start. Ponson Monday and chen Tuesday

according to the royals 610 postgame tweet...aka greg schaum

not good news...thanks trey!

thurman merman
07-18-2009, 04:05 PM

:banghead:

ponson? seriously? can they not bring davies back up?

Ebolapox
07-18-2009, 04:09 PM
it's times like this that make me glad I'm a red sox fan.

was a royals fan as a kid. strike drove me away and toward football, and the sox pennant chase of 2004 brought me back to baseball.

WoodDraw
07-18-2009, 04:15 PM

according to the royals 610 postgame tweet...aka greg schaum

not good news...thanks trey!

No, fucking, way.

Every Royals fan could call this with the way TH has treated him. I think I even heard Dusty Baker whisper, "What in the hell was he possibly thinking?"

Reaper16
07-18-2009, 04:23 PM

ponson? seriously? can they not bring davies back up?
Ponson is coming off of the DL; they'd have to clear a spot somehow to bring Davies up.

Sure-Oz
07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
btw-he's on the dl for back stiffness

trey's favorite word, stiffness....im sure he gets stiff whenever another player goes down so he can add to the excuses

Sure-Oz
07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=An4Kmo4FkxUNA9qkHRm6mvKFCLcF?slug=txroyalsmoves&prov=st&type=lgns

Royals right-hander Meche goes on DL

50 minutes ago
KANSAS CITY, MO.(AP) —Gil Meche(notes) went on the 15-day disabled list Saturday, a move that is sure to rouse critics who say he’s been poorly handled by Royals manager Trey Hillman.

The right-hander (4-9) has been bothered off and on by lower back problems much of the year. Some fans have criticized Hillman for letting him throw 114 or more pitches in several outings while his back problems keep flaring up.

Meche is winless in five starts since throwing 132 pitches in a complete-game shutout in June. About to turn 31, he’s on pace for his fewest wins and most losses since signing a five-year, $55 million contract on Dec. 8, 2006.

Meche will be replaced in the rotation by Sidney Ponson(notes), who was brought off the DL after compiling a 2.18 ERA in six rehab starts at Triple-A Omaha.

Reaper16
07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, looks like I'll be tuning into The Program w/ Soren Petro on Monday.

Sure-Oz
07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
They better try to trade him this coming year....

I just don't see him around when the young guys make it up here honestly.

Reaper16
07-18-2009, 09:31 PM
From the department of positive news: Danny Duffy recovered nicely from his last, poor start. His line was: 7 inning CG 1 R (0 ER) 2 H 0 BB 7 K.

Also, Eric Hosmer was promoted to High-A Wilmington for reasons unknown.

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 09:50 PM
"Reasons Unknown". That could/should have been our 2009 Slogan

Coach
07-18-2009, 10:44 PM
"Reasons Unknown". That could/should have been our 2009 Slogan

Perhaps this may be better, yes?

PHOG
07-18-2009, 10:49 PM
btw-he's on the dl for back stiffness

trey's favorite word, stiffness....im sure he gets stiff whenever another player goes down so he can add to the excuses

Or when he's making out his 90th different line-up so far..

thurman merman
07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Ponson is coming off of the DL; they'd have to clear a spot somehow to bring Davies up.

then send ponson to AAA? pretty easy decision.

thurman merman
07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
it's times like this that make me glad I'm a red sox fan.

was a royals fan as a kid. strike drove me away and toward football, and the sox pennant chase of 2004 brought me back to baseball.

wow. congratulations.

Reaper16
07-18-2009, 11:50 PM
then send ponson to AAA? pretty easy decision.
Apparently you didn't see Davies' line from the other night, where he threw 96 pitches in under 4 innings.

thurman merman
07-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Apparently you didn't see Davies' line from the other night, where he threw 96 pitches in under 4 innings.

apparently you didn't see ponson's line for his whole career, where he fucking sucks.

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
apparently you didn't see ponson's line for his whole career, where he fucking sucks.
I don't have a comeback.

Rock and a hard place.

Demonpenz
07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
we suck dick. Bentencourt looks ok so far. horray. I will still watch, because I am a looser

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
we suck dick. Bentencourt looks ok so far. horray. I will still watch, because I am a looser
p. much

Demonpenz
07-19-2009, 12:50 AM
to me I care about wins and losses, I care about it all, but at the end of the day it is about drinking a cold one with my dad, or son, or nephew, just talking the game, just enjoying some time out of our mother fucking fucked up lives to talk about the game. We can suck all the balls in the world, and we have, but I will still be here, because I am going to work 7-6 pm most nights, and eat a tv dinner and get a couple hours in my lazy chair and watch the royals lose, because that is what I do.

sportsman1
07-19-2009, 12:59 AM
to me I care about wins and losses, I care about it all, but at the end of the day it is about drinking a cold one with my dad, or son, or nephew, just talking the game, just enjoying some time out of our mother ****ing ****ed up lives to talk about the game. We can suck all the balls in the world, and we have, but I will still be here, because I am going to work 7-6 pm most nights, and eat a tv dinner and get a couple hours in my lazy chair and watch the royals lose, because that is what I do.

God bless America. Best post.. Royal's related.

PunkinDrublic
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
to me I care about wins and losses, I care about it all, but at the end of the day it is about drinking a cold one with my dad, or son, or nephew, just talking the game, just enjoying some time out of our mother ****ing ****ed up lives to talk about the game. We can suck all the balls in the world, and we have, but I will still be here, because I am going to work 7-6 pm most nights, and eat a tv dinner and get a couple hours in my lazy chair and watch the royals lose, because that is what I do.

I hear you. I was just glad I was able to see them in April when we were doing well. Got to see them kick the Rangers ass. My expectations are so low I would like to see them avoid being a laughtingstock but they can't even get that right.:cuss:

Sure-Oz
07-19-2009, 01:28 PM
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/2009/07/19/twins-sign-grudzielanek-to-minor-league-deal/

Twins sign Grudzielanek to minor-league deal
Posted on July 19th, 2009 – 12:47 PM
By Joe Christensen

ARLINGTON, TEXAS — The Twins have agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, General Manager Bill Smith said today.

The move, first reported at www.sethspeaks.net, gives the Twins another option at second base, though Grudzielanek hasn’t played all season.

Smith said Grudzielanek will report to the Twins’ Gulf Coast League squad in Fort Myers, Fla., and then join one of the Twins’ minor-league affiliates.

Grudzielanek, 39, batted .299 with three home runs and 24 RBI in 86 games for the Royals last season. He has batted .294 or better every year since 2003, and has racked up 2,010 hits over 14 major league seasons, posting a .290 career average.

Grudzielanek was a Type A free agent last offseason, and teams shied away from signing him until after the June amateur draft because they didn’t want to lose a first-round pick.

“He has a tremendous history over the last seven or eight years,” said Smith, who is following Class A Fort Myers this weekend. “He’s an offensive player. He hasn’t played in the first half. We’ll see how he does.

“We are still hoping Alexi Casilla is going to take the second base job and run with it. That’s our first choice, that he can bring energy and spark our lineup. This gives us another option.”

Casilla, who turns 25 on Monday, is batting .175. He has been sent to Class AAA Rochester twice this season and is 1-for-9 in two games in his latest return.

Twins second basemen — Casilla, Nick Punto, Matt Tolbert — have combined to bat .190 with a .270 on-base percentage and a .242 slugging percentage. Each of those totals rank dead last among 30 MLB teams.

Do we get any compensation for this?

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Why'd you delete that speculation, Sure-Oz?

For those that didn't read it, Sure-Oz posted that Joe Posnanski's last tweet & his facebook status both say "something big coming?"

WELL, Mark Teahen's dog's twitter account, @ESPY_TEAHEN, just tweeted the following: "I know what's coming....."

Maybe Mark Teahen has been traded?

BWillie
07-20-2009, 12:00 AM

Betancourt is probably one of the worst trades I've seen Dayton make so far. The only good thing is it's not a huge trade, not a huge risk, but we did give up a good pitching prospect. The guy is a lower tier shortstop. I'm sick and tired of getting Dbags who just swing at all kinds of shit. He cannot walk, he does not have power. He plays average defense. He cannot steal. His OBP is terrible. He's essentially worthless. Just pay a little more and get somebody good. I know Aviles sucks this year, but either way. Aviles or Betancourt, theres not going to be much of a dip in production either way. I'm confident Aviles is at least a .245 career hitter. Essentially Betancourt is Angel Berroa with less power. Really.

petegz28
07-20-2009, 12:07 AM

For those that didn't read it, Sure-Oz posted that Joe Posnanski's last tweet & his facebook status both say "something big coming?"

WELL, Mark Teahen's dog's twitter account, @ESPY_TEAHEN, just tweeted the following: "I know what's coming....."

Traded for a Willie Wilson rookie card and the gum...Dayton tried to hold out for the Ricky Henderson card but he couldn't get the gum with that deal....

Personally I think we could have gotten 2 Kenny Loftons and a Jeff Bagwell PLUS half of the gum...but Moore insisted on either a basestealer or a corner OF plus a full stick

BWillie
07-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Do you know what is sad? Coco Crisp hasn't played in 5 weeks and he still leads the Royals in walks. And wouldn't you know it, the Royal's are in dead last in OBP once again.

Mecca
07-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Someone needs to tell the Royals you don't teach guys nearing 30 how to take pitches and walk. Guys either do that or they don't, you can look at a guys minor league numbers and know if he gets on base or not.

The Royals can act like they value OBP but by the moves they make it's obvious they don't.

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 08:24 AM

The reason i deleted it because greg schaum said it was likely about his new book called 'the machine'....didn't want to jump the gun if that was the case and cause speculation if there really isn't any...

I shouldn't expect 'something big' from the royals but i sure as hell hope something happens

ChiTown
07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Do you know what is sad? Coco Crisp hasn't played in 5 weeks and he still leads the Royals in walks. And wouldn't you know it, the Royal's are in dead last in OBP once again.

Ouch. That's pathetic.

Gotta love our boy's in blue....
ROFL

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Doesn't surprise me we are way low on walks...

even some of our best OBP guys like butler, and teahen swing at crap alot. DDJ and Callaspo have looked alot better lately at taking pitches, esp DDJ

petegz28
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
The reason i deleted it because greg schaum said it was likely about his new book called 'the machine'....didn't want to jump the gun if that was the case and cause speculation if there really isn't any...

I shouldn't expect 'something big' from the royals but i sure as hell hope something happens

So we didn't get the Willie Wilson rookie card and the stick of gum?

:cuss:

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Joe updated his status on twitter and said it wasn't royals related...

so nothing to report on the trade front...

The trades will fall after halladay is/isn't going to be traded i'm assuming, esp with bannister.

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
The last person i expected to take some accountability....

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1336679.html
Posted on Mon, Jul. 20, 2009

Guillen: `I suck’ and am `embarrassed by the money I’m making’
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

When Royals outfielder José Guillen goes off, as he did Monday afternoon, he seldom minces words. That didn’t change simply because he chose to go off on the guy in the mirror.

“I hate making excuses,” he said. “If I suck, then I suck. And I suck. That’s the way I’m playing. If you suck, you suck. You have to take responsibility in this game. Right now, that’s the way I feel.

“Yes, I suck.”

Guillen carries a .243 average into Tuesday’s double-header against the Los Angeles Angels at Kauffman Stadium. He also had just nine homers and 37 RBIs in 76 games.

That’s far too little production, he readily admits, for a guy pulling down $36 million in a three-year contract that runs through next season.

“I’m embarrassed by the money that I making,” Guillen said, “and playing the way I’ve been playing. I’ll swear that on my kids’ (lives). I feel very embarrassed.

“Sometimes, I feel I should take money out of my own pocket and buy tickets for every fan. Because you know what? For a $12 million man, these are not the numbers you should be expecting. I admit it. I’m not playing to my potential.”

Guillen, 33, has spent much of the year battling a sore right groin. He is also nursing a sore left ankle as the result of a foul ball in Saturday’s loss to Tampa Bay.

That ankle was sufficiently swollen Monday that manager Trey Hillman scratched initial plans for Guillen to play right field by shifting him to designated hitter in a revised lineup before rain forced a postponement.

“He took it right above the foot,” Hillman said. “Given what we’ve got weather-wise, and wanting mobility in the outfield, we’ll go the other route.”

Guillen admits the injuries, particularly the groin, are affecting him but pointedly rejects using them as an excuse.

“I know I’m not 100 percent,” he said. “I know the type of hitter I am. People know when I’m right, they know the type of hitter I am. Some of this stuff is fixable. So I’ll keep trying to get better.

“Some days, I feel it’s getting better, but some days, I feel I’m going backward. What can you do? You keep fighting. You’re a warrior. So keep trying. Hopefully, it gets better. I’m not going to make excuses.”

Nor is he open to the suggestion that time on the disabled list might prove beneficial in the long run.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” he said. “I don’t want that to happen. I want to play. Why? Because I’m a hard-headed guy, and I get paid a lot of money to play this game. I’ve got to keep playing.”

Club officials agree that a trip to the disabled list is unlikely.

“At 3.93 runs a game,” Hillman said, “I don’t think we can afford to do that. And with his propensity to play through nags, just being honest, I don’t think that would go over too well.”

General manager Dayton Moore added, “Nobody has made that suggestion to me.”

So Guillen plays on while pointing to himself as the chief reason the Royals rank last among American League teams in runs scored.

“When I’m not hitting,” he said, “we’re not scoring. They all follow me. When I struggle, some guys hit, but we’re usually not able to put it together. I’m the guy making the money; I’ve got to hit.

“If I put myself on the DL and went home, I’d be going more crazy than I am right now. This is my life, and I feel obligated to do my job. I’m not going to run away. I have to go and play.”

Guillen does see one silver lining in an otherwise disappointing season.

“People have asked me,” he said, “`Why don’t you get mad and say something?’ Some people tell me that’s what we need, for me to start yelling like I did last season. But why? It’s different this year.

“I see guys working hard and doing what they should be doing. Believe me, if I see someone (goofing) off, I will say something. To me, that’s not the problem this year. We’re all on the same page. This year, we’re a team. Everyone is pulling for one another.

“It’s just not working. We all suck as a team. That’s the way it is. It’s not a problem with one individual. It’s about 25 guys. Right now, we suck.”

Reaper16
07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Well. Good for him, I guess.

Demonpenz
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Guillen has kept it under control this year, I figured maybe he would swung at a fan or some crazy shit, maybe he is getting soft in his old age.

DeezNutz
07-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Feel like getting pissed? Or just pissing? Either way...

I'm particularly fond of #4, with #2 not being too far behind in the "are you a complete ****ing moron" category because of the hyperbole:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2009/7/20/955184/a-second-hand-conversation-with

It's false, right? Please let this all be false...

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 11:29 PM
CFer and a pitcher LMAO

wtf has happend to DM....

Butler and Gordon are future stars? based off what?

DeezNutz
07-20-2009, 11:31 PM
CFer and a pitcher LMAO

wtf has happend to DM....

Butler and Gordon are future stars? based off what?

Honestly, why should we be surprised that Glass hired a complete failure? Moore had the hype, but is Mr. Walmart really qualified to know if there's substance behind the reputation?

Total crap shoot and we lost. Oh well. What's another 5 years or so?

Sure-Oz
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Why couldn't DM use his buddy buddy skills with ATL to get any of their real guys....like a Tommy Hanson or Yunel Escobar? instead we get their dogshit....hell Frenchy is batting .350 since becoming a met....

Mecca
07-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Feel like getting pissed? Or just pissing? Either way...

I'm particularly fond of #4, with #2 not being too far behind in the "are you a complete ****ing moron" category because of the hyperbole:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2009/7/20/955184/a-second-hand-conversation-with

It's false, right? Please let this all be false...

That's one of the funniest thing's I have ever read.

Dayton Moore doesn't believe in defensive stats man!

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 06:53 AM
That's one of the funniest thing's I have ever read.

Dayton Moore doesn't believe in defensive stats man!

And this board hated Carl with a passion...

Dayton Moore makes Carl Peterson look like a fucking genius.

WilliamTheIrish
07-21-2009, 07:00 AM
No he doesn't. Incompetence in any form is incompetence. I'm just crushed.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
No he doesn't. Incompetence in any form is incompetence. I'm just crushed.

I completely agree with this premise.

But I see Carl's tenure as one that slowly eroded over a long period. The early years were more than acceptable. Moore, unfortunately, has been disappointing from the start.

Demonpenz
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
it's not that hard to understand. Jeter has to go to his right 3 slow ass steps then make what would be an easy plant and throw for a decent SS... a Jump throw and rely's on sexy texy to do the splits or dig a ball out. Dayton sucks his dick because he is Da Capin'!

Mecca
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I just love how he uses Jeter as an example when Jeter these days basically has no range, some of these baseball guys need to step back and use common sense.

Also listening to Petro talk about how Moore completely shit the bed this offseason is pretty funny.

thurman merman
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
“I hate making excuses,” he said. “If I suck, then I suck. And I suck. That’s the way I’m playing. If you suck, you suck. You have to take responsibility in this game. Right now, that’s the way I feel.

“Yes, I suck.”

ROFL

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I just love how he uses Jeter as an example when Jeter these days basically has no range, some of these baseball guys need to step back and use common sense.

Also listening to Petro talk about how Moore completely shit the bed this offseason is pretty funny.

I love how petro asked jason stark what he thought about a staff of

Lincecum, Greinke, Meche, Porcello and Bannister...

Said it was top 3-5 championship staff, and said 'wonder where you got that staff..." jokingly knowing ****ing royals:mad:

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Great point from Petro about the wasted money on the catcher position. Keep one of the two, Buck or Olivo, and allocate the money save for a guy who can actually make a difference.

Here's my overview of Dayton Moore:

He's encouraged Glass to spend more on the draft and Latin America. For this, I'm grateful.

Pretty much everything else Moore has done has been either A.) common sense (re-signing Greinke) or B.) completely ****ing disastrous.

Worst GM in the league.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Wonder what moves he'll make at the deadline, probably nothing

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Wonder what moves he'll make at the deadline, probably nothing

Or nothing good.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Or nothing good.

10 days left...

I hope they get Mahay, and Cruz out of here.

I hope Philly still wants Banny...we might get something there

I could care less if we keep teahen if there is no decent offer out there.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
per rotoworld.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teahen is going to see time at first base in the near future as the Royals are trying to improve their infield defense, the Kansas City Star reports.
Spin:
The Royals will have Billy Butler move to DH, but he may yield a couple of games per week to Mike Jacobs if Teahen emerges as a regular first base option. The Royals could wind up trading the versatile Teahen at the trade deadline next week, making the entire adjustment moot.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
10 days left...

I hope they get Mahay, and Cruz out of here.

I hope Philly still wants Banny...we might get something there

I could care less if we keep teahen if there is no decent offer out there.

I think we have to look hard to move Soria and Meche.

We need a big return, possess few legit chips, and bad teams don't need great closers or vets who won't be good when the rest of the team is.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
If Jacobs takes any ABs away from Butler, Moore and Hillman are even dumber than I thought.

Far more blame on the former than latter, though.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Jacobs really is worthless to us...i really had no idea he was this BAD, of course he had his career year last year

WilliamTheIrish
07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Guillen: `I suck’ and am `embarrassed by the money I’m making’

"And that mild mannered guy with the oversized scorecard that yelled at me during that Sunday game against the Sox was exactly right, you NEVER throw home and let runners move into scoring position as though it's a Sunday slo-pitch keg league".

Or:

"What took me so long to notice that I suck"?

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I really want guillen to go off, it's entertaining, since trey can't seem to lose his cool when bad things happen, esp on calls.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Guillen might be able to sink the good ship Trey Moore.

ChiTown
07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I think we have to look hard to move Soria and Meche.

We need a big return, possess few legit chips, and bad teams don't need great closers or vets who won't be good when the rest of the team is.

Meche? He's broken merchandise. Be prepared to get a AA prospect for your "#1" pitcher.

Unfortunately, I totally get the Soria trade. What good does it do to have an Ace Reliever when you rarely get to use him. I think we could draw a handsome return for a contender needing a closer.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Guillen might be able to sink the good ship Trey Moore.

Sad in year 3 our farm is a bit better but the product on the field has regressed a ton. Worst offseason ever

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Meche? He's broken merchandise. Be prepared to get a AA prospect for your "#1" pitcher.

Unfortunately, I totally get the Soria trade. What good does it do to have an Ace Reliever when you rarely get to use him. I think we could draw a handsome return for a contender needing a closer.

I think we absolutely need to get what we can for Meche by the mid point next year. They also need to listen for Soria, if they can get multiple top tier guys for these two it could set us forward a ton. Zack should be the only untouchable on the ML roster. Soria has had a nice long AS break...

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
I think we absolutely need to get what we can for Meche by the mid point next year.

No question.

I get Chi's point that we might be selling low on Meche. Thanks, Trey! 132, 121, 114. No worries!

Demonpenz
07-21-2009, 01:55 PM
we can't even get our gm to understands stats, but what I would do is use soria when you need to get outs. Like old school fire fighter, if he looks tired after the 3rd out well lets fight with cruz or whoever we got left instead of just blowing it and not even using our best weapon.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 02:04 PM
No question.

I get Chi's point that we might be selling low on Meche. Thanks, Trey! 132, 121, 114. No worries!

It's not my arm /trey

ChiTown
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
It's not my arm /trey

We're saving Soria to pitch on Haltertop Day's only.... /Trey Moore

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 02:12 PM
apparently rany's latest post has the royals refuting the information (as if it wasn't obvious it was a satire article with a few real quotes) really Dayton?

Sunday, July 19, 2009
Breaking News About Soria.
(Evidently, the Royals have made it difficult to distinguish between satire and reality. So to set the record straight: the following is fiction. Some of the quotes are real, but the story is not.) <---------this part wasn't here before haha....it shouldn't have needed a disclaimer.

I saw this on RC love this quote that makes it so damn obvious it's fake...

“He’s too rested to pitch,” manager Trey Hillman announced prior to Sunday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays. “If he’s too rested to pitch today, then obviously we can’t pitch him today. And if he doesn’t pitch today, then he’ll be even more rested tomorrow, so he can’t pitch then either. After sitting down and doing the math, we realized that if you extend this line of reasoning into the future, that Soria will be too rested to pitch for every game the rest of the season. So we felt it was best to send Soria home and have him rest up for next year.”

ChiTown
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
apparently rany's latest post has the royals refuting the information (as if it wasn't obvious it was a satire article with a few real quotes) really Dayton?

Sunday, July 19, 2009
Breaking News About Soria.
(Evidently, the Royals have made it difficult to distinguish between satire and reality. So to set the record straight: the following is fiction. Some of the quotes are real, but the story is not.) <---------this part wasn't here before haha....it shouldn't have needed a disclaimer.

I saw this on RC love this quote that makes it so damn obvious it's fake...

“He’s too rested to pitch,” manager Trey Hillman announced prior to Sunday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays. “If he’s too rested to pitch today, then obviously we can’t pitch him today. And if he doesn’t pitch today, then he’ll be even more rested tomorrow, so he can’t pitch then either. After sitting down and doing the math, we realized that if you extend this line of reasoning into the future, that Soria will be too rested to pitch for every game the rest of the season. So we felt it was best to send Soria home and have him rest up for next year.”

you gotta be shittin' me?

Not only are they strategically dumb, but they lack common sense as well. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the Full Monty of Stupidity.ROFL

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I assumed it was other posters confused by Rany's humorous entry. It was the Royals themselves?

Wow.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I assumed it was other posters confused by Rany's humorous entry. It was the Royals themselves?

Wow.

Someone needs to PS 'Dumb and Dumber' Trey and DM edition

sedated
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
trading Soria is the equivalent of the Chiefs trading Jared Allen, except if we had Allen signed up for a few more years. Why trade a guy that good that is still so young?

Just because we aren't going to compete this year, maybe next, why get rid of a guy we can have for a while?

When we are ready to compete (hopefully in 2011 and 2012) we will need a dominant closer, and everyone will be bitching about the Royals giving up saves just like Chiefs fans are bitching about not pressuring the QB now.

People only seem to look at this year for this stuff. We have the guy, will have him for a while, so why create another need in the hopes of filling a different one?

For people calling for trading Soria, 2 questions:
- Now that we have seen a year of the results, do you agree with the Jared Allen trade?
- Do you believe in this organization to get the maximum return for a great arm like Soria?

penguinz
07-21-2009, 04:21 PM
trading Soria is the equivalent of the Chiefs trading Jared Allen, except if we had Allen signed up for a few more years. Why trade a guy that good that is still so young?

Just because we aren't going to compete this year, maybe next, why get rid of a guy we can have for a while?

When we are ready to compete (hopefully in 2011 and 2012) we will need a dominant closer, and everyone will be bitching about the Royals giving up saves just like Chiefs fans are bitching about not pressuring the QB now.

People only seem to look at this year for this stuff. We have the guy, will have him for a while, so why create another need in the hopes of filling a different one?

- Now that we have seen a year of the results, do you agree with the Jared Allen trade?
- Do you believe in this organization to get the maximum return for a great arm like Soria?The chiefs are more likely to make it to the SB in two years than the Royals are to make the playoffs.

ChiTown
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
The chiefs are more likely to make it to the SB in two years than the Royals are to make the playoffs.

This

"We're just right around the corner from winning, why trade Mike Sweeney now?"

/Royals Fans 2003

sedated
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
The chiefs are more likely to make it to the SB in two years than the Royals are to make the playoffs.

then why not trade Grienke?

ChiTown
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM

I think you listen, if you can get 2-3 front line position players (preferably a SS, CF and C) who are ready to play damn near immediately.

However, a stud starting pitcher, like Zach, is a keeper. Your chances of winning when Zach pitches, as long as you can generally score 3+ runs are pretty damned good. With Soria, we just don't put ourselves in position to win near enough to say that you wouldn't consider trading him.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Zack is a 20 game winner waiting to happen with a bit of an offense. he is the ace of our staff for the future, it's very hard to get aces. You can find closers all around, even if they aren't dominant they still get a good chunk of saves if they are above avg.

BigRock
07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
apparently rany's latest post has the royals refuting the information

Where?

Mecca
07-21-2009, 04:54 PM
A closer is not nearly as valuable as they are made out to be..if someone will give up alot for one you should take it unless you are a world series team.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Where?

www.ranyontheroyals.com

is his post...i am not sure there is a public statement about it...but he must've heard something for that new disclaimer on his post.

BigRock
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
he must've heard something for that new disclaimer on his post.

He probably heard a bunch of people were reading it and thinking it was true. Where did this idea that the Royals themselves were refuting the story come from?

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 05:57 PM

- Do you believe in this organization to get the maximum return for a great arm like Soria?

Football and baseball aren't even on the same planet in terms of what it takes to effectively rebuild, so the Allen analogy doesn't work well here.

As much as we all love Soria and think he's nails, if we're honest with ourselves, he's not one of the top 3 closers in the game. Don't get me wrong, he's very, very good. But not on the level of irreplaceable, elite talent.

Greinke, on the other hand, is a rare talent. I wouldn't trade him under any circumstances.

Soria would net a huge return. HUGE (his emphasis) according to Jayson Stark, and we have so many holes that I'd entertain the idea and listen intently. Do I trust Moore to pull off a great trade? Nope. But the returns should be so high for a Soria that a grain of common sense should be able to guide one into a profitable deal.

sedated
07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
If the justification to trade Soria is "we won't compete anytime soon", then there's no reason to hold onto Grienke.

Keep 'em both. No reason to give up the near future, and they are some amazing building-blocks.

(IMHO of course).

Plus there is still the thought out there that Soria can be a good starter.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Soria is replaceable and trading him could (read: should) fill multiple holes with top talent.

Greinke is irreplaceable talent. Elite. Teams should never trade players of this caliber.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
He probably heard a bunch of people were reading it and thinking it was true. Where did this idea that the Royals themselves were refuting the story come from?

Rumors off of Royalscorner.com

Reaper16
07-21-2009, 06:16 PM
As much as we all love Soria and think he's nails, if we're honest with ourselves, he's not one of the top 3 closers in the game. Don't get me wrong, he's very, very good. But not on the level of irreplaceable, elite talent.

I want to know who you think the top 3 closers in the game are, and if any of those 3 are irreplaceable, elite talent.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I want to know who you think the top 3 closers in the game are, and if any of those 3 are irreplaceable, elite talent.

Closers I think are better than Soria:

Rivera, Nathan, Papelbon, Rodriguez, off the top of my head.

I wouldn't touch a Rivera in his prime. But, on the whole, I think very, very few relievers are untouchable.

Of course, this is also dependent upon if your club is in contention or not.

Reaper16
07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Closers I think are better than Soria:

Rivera, Nathan, Papelbon, Rodriguez, off the top of my head.

I wouldn't touch a Rivera in his prime. But, on the whole, I think very, very few relievers are untouchable.

Of course, this is also dependent upon if your club is in contention or not.
I can agree with Rivera, Nathan, Papelbon ahead of Soria in that order. K-Rod doesn't seem better to me.

Of those, the only one I would consider "irreplaceable, elite talent" is Mariano.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I can agree with Rivera, Nathan, Papelbon ahead of Soria in that order. K-Rod doesn't seem better to me.

Of those, the only one I would consider "irreplaceable, elite talent" is Mariano.

K-Rod is more naturally gifted, and he's had great results on an admittedly very good team. Eh, I can understand thinking otherwise.

Nightfyre
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I almost wonder if we shouldn't reconsider starting soria. We suck too much to be invested in a closer.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
I almost wonder if we shouldn't reconsider starting soria. We suck too much to be invested in a closer.
Posted via Mobile Device

If he could stay healthy, this absolutely should be revisited, especially considering that we, apparently, aren't allowed to use him in any other situations except the 9th, with a lead.

Sure-Oz
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
If he could stay healthy, this absolutely should be revisited, especially considering that we, apparently, aren't allowed to use him in any other situations except the 9th, with a lead.
It won't be, they can't even have him pitch 4 outs

thurman merman
07-21-2009, 08:00 PM

and that situation only comes up about once a month.

ChiTown
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM

...............or when we're being blown out 10-2. :D

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1338495.html

Royals notebook | Meche says workload not to blame for his back spasms
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
Even before Gil Meche took his first on-field step Tuesday toward returning to the Royals’ rotation, he rejected the suggestion that his back spasms _ or any of his health issues this season _ resulted from overuse by manager Trey Hillman.

“In every game,” Meche said, “it’s been (mostly) my decision about how much I pitched. Each time, he’s given me the respect to ask me. So it’s nonsense (to blame Hillman).”

Meche experienced back spasms while lasting just 3 2/3 innings in a July 11 start at Boston. When rest alone failed to alleviate the problem, he received an epidural injection last Saturday and was placed on the 15-day disabled list.

“I’m still kind of sore from where the shot was,” he said. “But I can move around a little bit better. I’m not as stiff.”

Meche tested his recovery Tuesday by playing catch in the outfield. Barring unexpected overnight problems, he plans to play long toss today in the outfield. That sets up a tentative bullpen session Friday with the possibility of pitching as soon as Monday in Baltimore.

“A lot of it has to do with picking up my leg,” he said. “The more I threw (in Boston), the harder it got to pick my leg up. That meant my back was getting tighter and tighter. That’s the biggest key (in the upcoming bullpen workout).

“I need to be able to pick my leg up and still feel loose and fluid. I have to be able to throw the ball and not think about how high I have to pick my leg up and not feel it in my back.”

Hillman drew criticism for permitting Meche to throw a career-high 132 pitches on June 16 to get a shutout in a 5-0 victory over Arizona. Meche is 0-4 in five starts since that victory.

Criticism escalated when Meche, after complaining of a dead arm in a June 26 start at Pittsburgh, threw 121 pitches in his next start. Meche’s back spasms in Boston further fueled complaints. Meche dismissed all three incidents.

“The shutout…, he said, “it was a shutout! The last inning didn’t go the way I wanted it to happen. I figured 122 or 125 pitches _ somewhere in that range. But the last guy, I threw 10 pitches to.

“The time after the dead arm, I had great stuff. It was a case that, `I feel good, and I’m throwing hard,’ so there’s no reason for me to come out. So I went out for the extra inning and, the next thing you knew, I’d thrown 121 pitches. Suddenly it’s a big deal. But to me, it was no big deal.

“The problem in Boston was the mound was so flat. Any time I pitch on a flat mound, something happens. I can’t go from high to low (in delivering a pitch). It’s more of a torque and a torso twist from side to side. I had a bad feeling and, sure enough, something happened in the fourth inning.”

Closing options

Hillman entered the double-header determined to find a slot to use closer Joakim Soria, who last worked July 12 at Boston after failing to pitch in any of the three weekend losses to Tampa Bay.

“You have to,” Hillman said. “Hopefully, you read the situation right in game one. Obviously, if it’s a close situation, even if it’s four outs, I’ll go ahead and do that. If for some reason, there’s not a need _ if we have a big lead and don’t want to burn him _ then we’ll look to get him in game two.”

Hillman said it was unlikely Soria would pitch in both games regardless of the circumstances.

Weak arm

Here’s a case of adding insult to injury for Royals outfielder Coco Crisp, who is out for the season while recovering from surgeries on both shoulders.

Sports Illustrated surveyed 380 current major-league players to determine which outfielder has the worst throwing arm.

Crisp placed third with 11 percent of the votes.

Former Royals outfielder Johnny Damon, now with the Yankees, was a runaway winner at 54 percent. Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre was second at 23 percent. Crisp was the only other outfielder to garner more than 2 percent of the votes.

Minor details

Right-hander Juan Abreu worked around two walks in the ninth inning Monday night in preserving a 7-6 victory for Class AA Northwest Arkansas over Arkansas.

It was Abreu’s first appearance following his promotion from Class A Wilmington, where he compiled a 1.69 ERA while going 3-2 with 12 saves in 20 appearances.

Abreu, 24, was signed by the Royals in 2003 as a non-drafted free agent from the Dominican Republic.

Looking back

It was 30 years ago Wednesday _ July 22, 1979 _ that George Brett hit a club-record three home runs in a game for the first time in his career. He drove in five runs in a 7-6 victory at Texas.

Brett also hit three homers on April 20, 1983 in an 8-7 victory at Detroit. He and John Mayberry are the only Royals to hit three home runs in two different games. Tony Solaita, Bo Jackson and Danny Tartabull each did it once.

Tartabull was the last to do it _ on July 6, 1991 in a 9-7 loss to Oakland at then-Royals Stadium.

Etc.

•Former Royals pitchers Jeff Montgomery, Jaime Bluma and Paul Splittorff will make appearances today at the Community Blood Center at 4040 Main Street in connection with the Royals’ 17th annual blood drive. Montgomery will appear from 11 a.m. to noon; Bluma from 1-2 p.m.; and Splittorff from 2-3 p.m.

•Birthday wishes Wednesday to former Royals captain Mike Sweeney, who turns 36. Sweeney is currently on the disabled list at Seattle because of back spasms. He is batting .250 with three homers and 15 RBIs in 37 games.

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
It was 30 years ago Wednesday _ July 22, 1979 _ that George Brett hit a club-record three home runs in a game for the first time in his career. He drove in five runs in a 7-6 victory at Texas.

I watched that game on TV. It was that day that Sparky Anderson sdecide dhe never pitch to G. Brett again.

ChiTown
07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1338495.html

Unbelievable.

I don't give a F about a shutout. I do give a F whether or not my $11MM/yr #1 pitcher can actually stay healthy. That should also be the fuggin concern of Dumb and Dumber (Dayton Hillman).

AND!!!! If these Nancies are getting their panties in a bunch over the shit that's being said in the KC media, that's laughable. If they played just about anywhere else, these dumbfugs would have been ripped to shreds by now. The KC media is about as rough as the Wednesday night 40 and over slow pitch league.

ChiTown
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I watched that game on TV. It was that day that Sparky Anderson sdecide dhe never pitch to G. Brett again.

Sparky was a sharp cookie. He had a tremendous respect for Brett...and for good reason.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I wish someone would get allard bairds story, i bet it would be interesting to hear. I actually liked that guy as a person...he got alot of heat for those trades but we know who the real mastermind was.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Royals are now 19-45 .296 winning %

after an 18-11 start...

they need to win about 37% to avoid 100 losses, lmao

over the past few years they've had a similiar 64 game streak

believe a few years ago they were 17-49 over a stretch

**** me

KK is calling gordon 'mike jacobs' except with an avg about 30 points higher and more talent since he can't hit ML pitches...

Say's Gordon needs to figure that out and not swing and miss at balls in the dirt etc or he will never be more than an avg player. Say's Butler is our most promising hitter at this point

ughhh

Reaper16
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
KK is calling gordon 'mike jacobs' except with an avg about 30 points higher and more talent since he can't hit ML pitches...
That's dumb. Gordon draws walks.

DeezNutz
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Say's Gordon needs to figure that out and not swing and miss at balls in the dirt etc or he will never be more than an avg player. Say's Butler is our most promising hitter at this point

He's right in the sense that he's not a great hitter.

Gordon has no chance of becoming a star. It's simply not going to happen, and the fact that Moore is certain that he will become one is unbelievably troubling.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
That's dumb. Gordon draws walks.

He does do that, but he still swings at shit on a day to day basis. He doesn't really fight off pitches that well. They are talking about how the minor league coaches haven't taught him or anyone shit really. Gordon apparently has a problem not listening to his coaches either. Brett said he tried to give alex some hints on hitting and worked with him but he just doesn't listen.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 02:31 PM
He's right in the sense that he's not a great hitter.

Gordon has no chance of becoming a star. It's simply not going to happen, and the fact that Moore is certain that he will become one is unbelievably troubling.

He has great talent, but it seems he doesnt give a shit about coaching and will do whatever he wants to do. He seems to not care to get better as a player...

They are going on now about how much of a joke the royals are, well it's damn true and our savior Gordon i don't think will be more than what he has been unless he starts trying harder to learn how to play the game.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Now they plan to take calls on fans who 'laugh' at the royals...

id say ive been at this point for a few weeks now...esp the soria closers music in the 9th

DeezNutz
07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Now they plan to take calls on fans who 'laugh' at the royals...

id say ive been at this point for a few weeks now...esp the soria closers music in the 9th

That and Colon. That's the celebratory douche, right? I'm not committing some of these scrubs to memory...

He makes me actually root against the team.

Sure-Oz
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
That and Colon. That's the celebratory douche, right? I'm not committing some of these scrubs to memory...

He makes me actually root against the team.

He has to be the biggest dumbass on the team...i think seeing that one time would've had someone say something to him.

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Gordon apparently has a problem not listening to his coaches either. Brett said he tried to give alex some hints on hitting and worked with him but he just doesn't listen

That's nothing new in this era. Just looking at this lineup I can tell you that Olivo, Jacobs, Guillen, Gordon, Mithc (the b*tch)... none of them listened to anything.

It's certainly not confined to this team either. There are hundreds of players who can't/won't take hitting advice. They got to the bigs doing their own thing, have cashed in during a contract year or are a bonus baby.

DeezNutz
07-23-2009, 12:01 AM
"Moore has no doubt the team is on the right track for long-term success." Dutton's article (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1340841.html):

General manager Dayton Moore surveys the growing wreckage of a season gone wrong and remains undaunted in his belief — in his certainty — the Royals are poised for eventual long-term success as an organization.

He turns a deaf ear to growing demands that change is required — something, anything — to shake the club from the malaise that, after Wednesday’s debacle, produced 46 losses in its last 64 games.

“Let me ask you this,” Moore challenged. “How much success has this organization had (recently)? And how many changes have they made?”

The questions are, he knows, rhetorical and the answers obvious: None and a lot. And after a pause, he continues.

“OK, then,” he said. “Let’s just trust the process. If other people don’t want to trust the process, that’s fine. If other people want to abandon the process, then abandon it. I’m not abandoning the process. I believe in the process.

“You get a good group of people together. You work hard together. You trust in one another. You go through the difficult times. You work hard to make good decisions. You keep guys together and, eventually, it will happen.”

Moore is convinced he has put together just such as group in his three-plus years since arriving from Atlanta, no matter what tarnish now dulls his reputation as one of the game’s top young executives.

“You can’t keep changing,” he said. “I understand the frustration from the fans. I knew what I was getting into when I signed on. I knew there would be a barrage of negativity if we didn’t win sooner than later at the major-league level. We’ve got to persevere through all of that.”

Moore points to the club’s 18-11 start, prior to the onset of injuries to several key players, as validation of the organization’s approach.

“I go back to the same thing all of the time,” he said. “If our processes were so poor, how were we able to put together a pretty good team in the off-season? We went through the process, and most people around baseball felt we were vastly improved.

“That’s what we have tried to do in repairing some of the injuries that have occurred. That’s all I can say.”

Moore acknowledges that, in addition to injuries, several players have underperformed but dismisses the suggestion the Royals overlooked the opportunity to acquire better players.

“This is the funny thing about this job,” he said. “People think we’re idiots. Don’t you think we start with the very best (free agents) and talk to those players and talk to their agents and see what their interests are?

“There is talent here. We have some players who have to step up. Ultimately, it’s about players coming out and performing. We’re going to keep the group we have, and we’re going to work. That’s the only way I know how to do it. It might not be the right way, but it’s the only way I know how to do it.”

Moore suggested some of the organization’s better moves are often overlooked — particularly upgrades in the rotation, long an organizational weakness.

The Royals, under his watch, signed Gil Meche, drafted Luke Hochevar, traded for Brian Bannister and worked out a four-year deal with Zack Greinke. The rotation is now generally viewed as the club’s top strength.

“I’m always re-evaluating decisions that we make,” Moore said. “All of the time. But Luke Hochevar, does he look good for us? Banny? Zack? Zack’s had a breakout year. Boy, I’m glad we were proactive and aggressive with that.

“We don’t hit on everything that we do, but we’ve hit on a lot of things.”

Moore is emphatic about this: He plans to stay the course, however rough it gets throughout the rest of this season.

“Here’s the deal,” he said. “We have very good people here. They’re quality people. They care about others. They work hard. They’re committed to trying to do something special for Kansas City.

“We’ll continue to build a farm system. We’ll continue to put the best team we can out here on the field every single night. We’re not going to cut corners.

“We’re not going to make quick, hasty decisions and lose patience, to lose focus in what we’re trying to do — although if and when opportunities present themselves for us to upgrade, we will be very aggressive and put the throttle down and move forward very quickly.

“Our processes are good. Our processes are consistent. We’re not right all of the time, but the effort is there, the passion is there and we will get this thing done without a doubt in my mind as we move forward. I believe that with all of my heart.”

DeezNutz
07-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Actually, Dayton, that's not accurate. Not everyone thought you improved the club in the off-season.

You know who thought you completely fucked up? The stat guys. But they don't count, right? Cause, who really knows how those statistics are figured, anyway...

WoodDraw
07-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Actually, Dayton, that's not accurate. Not everyone thought you improved the club in the off-season.

You know who thought you completely ****ed up? The stat guys. But they don't count, right? Cause, who really knows how those statistics are figured, anyway...

I was a huge fan of the DM hire. As was everyone. If anyone can pull that thread back up and find a different opinion, I'll send rep there way.

But, he's done a horrible job. And this has become a horrible season. Not just because we were supposed to be better, but because everyone in power refuses to admit we are horrible.

The next few months will be huge for DM. I'm not a member of the David Glass Hate Club. I think he has done a reasonable job of opening the payroll to big free agents, especially for those of us around in the Baird ere. But so far, DM has failed.

tk13
07-23-2009, 02:04 AM
I think he's right. It just doesn't always work out. There's no way this year's team is that much worse than last years. And I don't think Mike Jacobs is the long term answer, but you would have to put a gun to my head to say he's not better than having Ross Gload all year. There's no way. I don't believe it, Gload was the worst black hole in the history of offense at first base. Same thing, our CF's this year aren't great, but they're better offensively than Gathright.

But we aren't as good defensively, and that hurts. Probably an underrated point, losing Gathright, Grudz, Gload, all hurt our defense. And our bullpen stinks, that's a bigger issue. DM just didn't get it done this year. Farnsworth was a horrible signing. Cruz was a really good signing that just bombed. Waechter was a solid middle guy last year and we haven't gotten much out of him. Just have to try again next year. The only really good thing is we have some pitching tools to work with. Greinke has been great, Meche will be back. Bannister has done well, Hochevar may be coming around a bit. Soria can lock it down in the end. That's more than we've had in the past. I don't know, it feels hopeless right now because there is no short term fix to watching us blow leads every night. But that is a fixable problem if we make the right moves. I feel more confident Dayton can fix the bullpen, it's the offense that I worry about.

Pioli Zombie
07-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck suck they suck so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
07-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Just bought tix to see the Rays/Royals on Saturday August 1st. Game is part of the Rays Summer Concert Series and after this game Daughtry is performing.

:)

Mr. Arrowhead
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
ROYALS ROCK!!!! YEA

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I hope Dayton makes us all look stupid for doubting eventually. I don't think I'm going to hold my breath though.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

You know who thought you completely ****ed up? The stat guys. But they don't count, right? Cause, who really knows how those statistics are figured, anyway...

He can't be this dumb, hell no one can be right? Ignoring stats is idiotic....look at DDJ struggle and now he is going back to how he has historically hit, which is pretty solid. Hmmm dayton, coincidence?? Let's see how much he pushes the 'throttle'. I expect no moves at this point at the deadline...

I still can't believe the epic fail of this pen, esp Cruz.

Pioli Zombie
07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't look at the last 65 games as a measuring stick. Look at the first 29 as proof its working. Ok Dayton.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-23-2009, 12:05 PM
He can't be this dumb, hell no one can be right? Ignoring stats is idiotic....look at DDJ struggle and now he is going back to how he has historically hit, which is pretty solid. Hmmm dayton, coincidence?? Let's see how much he pushes the 'throttle'. I expect no moves at this point at the deadline...

I still can't believe the epic fail of this pen, esp Cruz.

I choose to be more hopeful. I bet we'll sign a journeyman middle reliever who is over 35 and has an era of around 5 or a light hitting corner outfielder who is questionable defensively but is good at getting hit by pitches.

Deberg_1990
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I think he's right. It just doesn't always work out. There's no way this year's team is that much worse than last years. And I don't think Mike Jacobs is the long term answer, but you would have to put a gun to my head to say he's not better than having Ross Gload all year. There's no way. I don't believe it, Gload was the worst black hole in the history of offense at first base. Same thing, our CF's this year aren't great, but they're better offensively than Gathright.

But we aren't as good defensively, and that hurts. Probably an underrated point, losing Gathright, Grudz, Gload, all hurt our defense. And our bullpen stinks, that's a bigger issue. DM just didn't get it done this year. Farnsworth was a horrible signing. Cruz was a really good signing that just bombed. Waechter was a solid middle guy last year and we haven't gotten much out of him. Just have to try again next year. The only really good thing is we have some pitching tools to work with. Greinke has been great, Meche will be back. Bannister has done well, Hochevar may be coming around a bit. Soria can lock it down in the end. That's more than we've had in the past. I don't know, it feels hopeless right now because there is no short term fix to watching us blow leads every night. But that is a fixable problem if we make the right moves. I feel more confident Dayton can fix the bullpen, it's the offense that I worry about.

Yadda, yadda, yadda...blh, blah, blah...

We can sit here all day and spin it however we want to....but the fact remains the team isnt much better than the day he took over. Bottom line: all that matters are wins and losses.

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

We can sit here all day and spin it however we want to....but the fact remains the team isnt much better than the day he took over. Bottom line: all that matters are wins and losses.

And what do we have to look forward to? The Royals have been called the L.A Clippers of baseball but that's being generous, I would call us the Washington Generals of MLB.

BWillie
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
And what do we have to look forward to? The Royals have been called the L.A Clippers of baseball but that's being generous, I would call us the Washington Generals of MLB.

I would call the royals the little bitches of the MLB. They don't even deserve a team name.

tk13
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

It's in far better shape. It's not even close. We have an ace pitcher for the first time in a decade, and he's locked up for a long time. We have a good closer for the first time in a decade, and he's locked up for a long time. Among several other things. Still a ton of holes to fill, but this organization had nothing when he took over. Zippo. Doesn't mean we're winning the World Series in 3 years but there are pieces, and we know they aren't going to be traded off in two years just to get rid of them. This season has been a disappointment. I thought this could be a 75-80 win team. But you can blah blah blah all you want in your typical whining, you whine about everything... I don't get too high, or too low. Tough.

That's what I've always said. When people were going nuts with optimism at the beginning of the season, I said wait until July 1st. And now we see why. Now everyone has gone too far the other way, which is always what happens. I think there are some serious concerns about our offensive ability to develop talent. But unlike these other 100 loss teams there are some actual pieces, 3-4 starters, a real closer, Butler.

PunkinDrublic
07-23-2009, 01:17 PM
It's in far better shape. It's not even close. We have an ace pitcher for the first time in a decade, and he's locked up for a long time. We have a good closer for the first time in a decade, and he's locked up for a long time. Among several other things. Still a ton of holes to fill, but this organization had nothing when he took over. Zippo. Doesn't mean we're winning the World Series in 3 years but there are pieces, and we know they aren't going to be traded off in two years just to get rid of them. This season has been a disappointment. I thought this could be a 75-80 win team. But you can blah blah blah all you want in your typical whining, you whine about everything... I don't get too high, or too low. Tough.

That's what I've always said. When people were going nuts with optimism at the beginning of the season, I said wait until July 1st. And now we see why. Now everyone has gone too far the other way, which is always what happens. I think there are some serious concerns about our offensive ability to develop talent. But unlike these other 100 loss teams there are some actual pieces, 3-4 starters, a real closer, Butler.

How do you explain the complete lack of punch in our offense? Jacobs was supposed to be that big bat we've so desperately needed and he flat out sucks. Guillen by his own admission has been horrible. We're already behind the 8 ball because big name free agents don't want to come to KC and Dayton has already whiffed on that front more times than not.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Royals' bullpen the last 9 games: 28.2 IP, 38 H, 32 R, 31 ER, 30 BB, 27 K, 5 HR.

Sure-Oz
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2009/07/modest-proposal.html

Latest from Rany

Wednesday, July 22, 2009
A Modest Proposal.
Wow, this whole “I’m taking a step back from the Royals” plan is already paying dividends!

I had a good time in Kansas City over the weekend. I had a chance to meet many of you at the ballpark on Saturday night, and had a chance to meet many of my colleagues in the local print and radio media during my stay. I wish I could say that the Royals’ performance on the field made me reconsider my perception of the team, but I can’t. And I wish I could say that all the conversations I had with people over the weekend made me reconsider my perception of the organization. But I can’t.

The highlight of my weekend – hell, it might be the highlight of my career – came on Friday night, when unbeknownst to the Royals (or me), the participant in the between-innings “Match Game” promotion was a devoted reader of this blog. After winning the promotion, our good reader was given the microphone and asked to say a few words. He said only two: “Rany Rules!” The microphone was snatched away by the announcer at that point, but judging from the audience’s reaction, the damage was already done. The revolution may not be televised, but it will be broadcast over the PA system to a sellout crowd at Kauffman Stadium. (To continue with my “V” theme, this reminds me of the moment when Juliet Parrish peels John’s skin to reveal the lizard underneath on national TV. Old-timers can relive that moment here – advance to 7:30 into the clip.)

There’s an old and oft-repeated quote that “Comedy equals Tragedy plus Time,” which I think applies beautifully to the Royals weekend. When Trey Hillman left Joakim Soria in the bullpen Friday night rather than ask him to get four outs, and Juan Cruz gave up the game-winning homer to Evan Longoria…that was tragedy. When Cruz gave up the game-tying and game-winning hits in the eighth inning the next night, that was unfortunate. When Hillman said in his post-game comments that he was willing to use Soria for four outs instead of five, that was farce.*

*: Seriously…four outs but not five? In the history of baseball, has there ever been a situation where a pitcher could get four outs but not five? Especially given that Soria’s so efficient on the mound that the difference between four outs and five outs is approximately three pitches. And if Soria was available for four outs, then WHY DIDN’T HE COME IN FOR FOUR OUTS THE NIGHT BEFORE?

And then, when the Royals blew an eighth-inning lead again on Sunday, and again Soria didn’t pitch while the triumvirate of Jamey Wright, John Bale, and Ramon Colon surrendered two hits, three walks, and committed an error…that was comedy. I mean, what’s the point of being angry? I already wrote that column. And it’s too late in the season to be despondent about it. Really, the only proper reaction is simply to laugh.

So for those of you who enjoyed the last post I wrote – which was actually posted before Sunday’s game – in the spirit it was written, thank you. For those of you who didn’t think it was that funny, I’m sorry you didn’t find it funny. And for those of you who didn’t think humor was the proper response – I’m sorry, but I can’t think of any other response except humor for the predicament the Royals find themselves in. (And for those few of you who thought the news “item” was real – I’m sorry that the Royals have become such a joke that it’s hard to separate satire from truth.)

As hard as it is to believe, I sympathize with Hillman a little bit. His comments after Saturday night’s game were rather ridiculous, both because he could have used Soria for four outs the night before and because he had used Soria for five outs earlier this season (a decision which was instrumental in the Royals winning an extra-inning thriller in Minnesota…one of the games which deluded me into thinking that this season was going to be something special, in fact.) But the sad reality about where baseball is today is that Hillman’s thinking over the weekend doesn’t make him the worst manager in baseball. His thought process is the norm among baseball teams today.

That thought process can be summed up as this:

1) Joakim Soria is my closer.

2) The job of the closer is to earn saves.

3) You can not earn a save unless you finish the game.

4) Therefore, if Soria can only get four outs, they have to be the last four outs of the game.

Once upon a time, closers weren’t called closers; they were called firemen, and the distinction is critical. “Closers” are there to “close” things – they’re there to close out the lights, which means finishing off a victory. Firemen put out fires – they’re there to get out of the stickiest of situations, no matter when those occur. No rational person would argue that the situation Soria could have faced on Sunday – tying run at third, just one out in the eighth – is less critical than the classic closer role of starting the ninth inning with a one-run lead. There’s a margin for error in the ninth; in the eighth, a single will tie the game (and did).

But that’s where the game of baseball is today. The problem with Hillman isn’t that he’s not with the conventional wisdom in this regard – it’s that he’s not willing to go against the conventional wisdom, even though his bullpen is such a unique challenge (one of the top closers in baseball fronted by arguably the worst middle-relief pack in the game) that it begs for unconventional thinking. He’s afraid to think outside-the-box, and the Royals need a manager who thinks outside the box. So instead, we have a manager who used every reliever (as well as starter Bruce Chen) out of his bullpen except Soria and Robinson Tejeda over the weekend, then finally used Soria to pitch an inning with the Royals down by eight runs last night.

As some brilliant commenters pointed out:

1) Last season, the Royals were shutout (okay, no-hit) by Jon Lester, which started a 12-game losing streak. This year, the Royals were shutout by Lester, which started an 8-game (and counting) losing streak.

2) Five of those eight losses have been by three runs or less. Both of Soria’s appearances in the last eight games have been in games decided by six runs or more.

Hillman’s intellectual atherosclerosis may not be treatable, but the woes of the bullpen are. Remember, Hillman didn’t use Soria all that differently last year; only seven times out of 63 appearances did Soria pitch more than an inning (although six of those seven were six-out appearances). The complaints last season were far fewer, though, because he had Ramon Ramirez to pitch the eighth inning. This year, he’s had Juan Cruz and Kyle Farnsworth. Farnsworth’s problems could (and were) predicted, but Cruz’s struggles were not so easily predictable. (And as Sam Mellinger finds out, they’re still mystifying.)

So allow me to make a modest proposal. The bullpen needs to be fixed, but the last thing the Royals ought to do is to trade some of their marketable guys (like DeJesus and Teahen) for some immediate relief help. The correlation between expense and performance is almost non-existent, something Dayton Moore has proven the last two seasons. His no-name set-up men last year, Ramirez and Leo Nunez, were far more effective than the two guys he signed for a combined $7 million a year to do the job this season.

First off, the Royals need to bite the bullet and get rid of some of their relievers. Frankly, none of their jobs should be safe; after Soria, Ron Mahay has the lowest ERA in the bullpen at 4.26. But Roman Colon should be an easy target; he has a 5.03 ERA, has allowed 31 baserunners in under 20 innings, and frankly his minor league track record makes you wonder what it was that Moore saw in him in the first place. (Other than the tomahawk on some of the uniforms he wore.) Tejeda, who has a great arm but also has walked more than a batter an inning, should also be fair game; if the Royals still think they can polish him, then they should take a long hard look at Jamey Wright, who isn’t terrible but also hasn’t really done the one thing the Royals brought him to do: the supposed groundball specialist has allowed 7 homers in 47 innings this year.

In return, they should find a spot on their roster for two guys. One is Carlos Rosa, who the Royals converted to relief this year because of concerns that he would not hold up physically as a starter (concerns about his elbow led the Marlins to nix the deal that would have traded him for Mike Jacobs, forcing the Royals to trade Nunez instead.) Rosa, perhaps still shaking off the rust from last season’s injury, struggled terribly at the start of the season; he had a 7.03 ERA in his first 32 innings, allowing 36 hits and 20 walks in that span. But over his last eight outings the light bulb has gone on; he has allowed just 4 hits and 4 walks in 14 innings, along with 14 strikeouts. If the scouting reports jibe with the sudden improvement in performance, then I think it’s time to throw Rosa into the pool and see if he can swim.

The other guy is Chris Hayes. I’ve had a lot of fun promoting Hayes as a prospect here and here and here and here, but I worry that some people – certainly some people in the organization – really do think that the idea of Disco as a prospect is a lot of fun, as opposed to something serious. At the start of the year, my goal was not to get Hayes immediately promoted to the majors – as well as he pitched last year, I understand that any pitcher whose fastball rarely touches 80 is going to have to prove himself in the high minors a little longer than the average prospect. My goal was simply to raise awareness that the Royals had a submarine prospect in their system, who ought to be taken seriously as a prospect despite his lack of velocity.

Well, that was March. It’s July now, and in the interim Hayes returned to Northwest Arkansas and pitched better than he did last season, with a 0.98 ERA in 37 innings. The Royals grudgingly promoted him to Omaha in mid-June, and he has continued to pitch well. His ERA in Omaha is 3.20, but he really hasn’t pitched much worse than he did in Double-A; he has continued to show tremendous control, strike out a little under one batter every other inning, and keep the ball on the ground (he’s allowed just one homer at each level). It’s just that a few more groundballs have gotten through. His BABIP in Double-A was .260, and in Triple-A it has been .315 – since a typical BABIP is around .300, Hayes was a little lucky in Double-A, and a little unlucky so far in Triple-A.

That’s splitting hairs, though, because there’s nothing to be ashamed about having a 3.20 ERA. For the season, Hayes has a 1.89 ERA, has allowed just 8 walks (two intentional!) in 62 innings, and has allowed just the two homers. If this isn’t the Dan Quisenberry starter kit, I don’t know what it is.

At the start of the year, even the most optimistic Hayes fan (i.e. me) thought it was unlikely he would earn a promotion to the majors before September, but this season has been a perfect storm of factors that have earned him a look. Hayes has continued to pitch well, of course, but beyond that you have a bullpen meltdown of a scale that I don’t think anyone predicted. During this eight game losing streak, here are the combined numbers for all Royals relievers (not counting the two innings Soria threw):

24.1 IP, 29 H, 26 R, 25 ER, 26 BB, 22 K, 4 HR

That’s just sick. Maybe Hayes wouldn’t improve on that hit total, but if all he does is throw strikes and keep the ball down, he’ll represent an enormous improvement on that performance.

It was thirty years ago this month that a much better Royals team – better in every facet of the game – nonetheless gave an opportunity to a submarining right-hander who threw in the upper 70s. Quisenberry was as poorly-regarded then as Hayes is now, despite strong numbers in the minors. In 1977 Quiz threw 74 innings in Double-A, allowed just 61 hits and 11 walks, with a 1.34 ERA; like Hayes, he was forced to repeat Double-A, and in 1978 pitched almost as well, with a 2.39 ERA in 62 innings. He got to Triple-A in 1979, and like Hayes didn’t quite match the success he had in Double-A – he had a 3.60 ERA in 35 innings when he was called up to make his major league debut on July 8th. He would never return to the minor leagues.

That 1979 team had bullpen issues much like this one does; aside from Quisenberry, five guys made more than 10 relief appearances for the Royals that season, and only one (Al Hrabosky) had an ERA under 4.50. The troubles with the pitching staff are what kept that team, despite scoring a then franchise-record 851 runs, out of the playoffs (the only time the Royals missed the playoffs from 1976 to 1981.) No doubt, Quisenberry got his shot at least partly out of desperation.

But here’s the thing: he got his shot. Whitey Herzog was a baseball man through and through, but he cared about winning more than he cared about conventional wisdom: he would have given a shot to a pitcher who threw with his feet if it would have helped him win. Quiz got his shot, and pitched well enough that year that even after Herzog was fired after the season, Quisenberry entered the next season as the team’s closer, and held the job for the next six seasons.

Maybe Hayes won’t pitch as well as Quisenberry, though from where I sit I see no reason why he can’t. But you know what? He doesn’t have to. Quisenberry had a career 2.76 ERA, including a 2.55 mark with the Royals. If Hayes can put up a 3.76 ERA, he’ll be an asset to this team. If he puts up a 5.76 ERA, he’ll still be better than Robinson Tejeda.

An organization that trades actual prospects for Yuniesky Betancourt is an organization that cares far more about how a player looks than how he performs. In some ways, the Royals are the worst organization for a guy like Disco to pitch for. But the shadow of Quisenberry still carries weight in Kansas City, if not with the organization than at least with their fans.

But I don’t want the Royals to give Hayes a shot because of the memory of a pitcher who threw his last pitch over two decades ago – I want them to give him a shot because he can help the ballclub. The Royals need a guy who can, if nothing else, stop walking the tying run to lead off the 8th inning – that’s Hayes. They need a guy who can throw two or three innings at a time – that’s Hayes. They need a guy who they can rely on to pitch four or five times a week if need be – that’s Hayes. And not to be crass about it, but they need a guy that they don’t perceive to be so valuable that they can only use him in predetermined situations. Emphatically, that’s Hayes.

This is probably the first column that I’ve written in a month that doesn’t come with a huge dose of anger or bitterness. I’m trying to play this one straight, because I am dead serious when I write this. Chris Hayes is not a freak show anymore. He’s a pitcher who can help the Royals right now. It’s time to bring Disco to Kansas City.

Deberg_1990
07-23-2009, 01:45 PM
But you can blah blah blah all you want in your typical whining, you whine about everything... I don't get too high, or too low. Tough.

No i dont whine about everything. Im just a realist. Like i said, its great and all to have an ace pitcher who can win 20 games, but what difference does it make if the team only wins 60-70 games overall??

Sure-Oz
07-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Royals place Jose Guillen (knee) on 15-day DL

Royals placed outfielder Jose Guillen on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 2 tear of the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee.
Guillen suffered the injury while putting on his batting shinguard Wednesday night and had to be taken to the hospital. It's not clear how long he'll be out, but Mitch Maier has been recalled in a corresponding move. Guillen will leave behind a .245 batting average, nine homers and 40 RBI. Jul. 23 - 8:56 pm et

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 11:40 PM
mitch maier shouldn't even tell his kids or grandkids he was in the show. being on the royals doesn't count

greg63
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Kansas City still has a Major League Baseball team?

Sure-Oz
07-23-2009, 11:48 PM
This injury probably puts him out 6-8 weeks at minimum....cya guillen

Fish
07-24-2009, 12:22 AM
“I go back to the same thing all of the time,” he said. “If our processes were so poor, how were we able to put together a pretty good team in the off-season? We went through the process, and most people around baseball felt we were vastly improved.

“That’s what we have tried to do in repairing some of the injuries that have occurred. That’s all I can say.”

Moore acknowledges that, in addition to injuries, several players have underperformed but dismisses the suggestion the Royals overlooked the opportunity to acquire better players.

“This is the funny thing about this job,” he said. “People think we’re idiots. Don’t you think we start with the very best (free agents) and talk to those players and talk to their agents and see what their interests are?

“There is talent here. We have some players who have to step up. Ultimately, it’s about players coming out and performing. We’re going to keep the group we have, and we’re going to work. That’s the only way I know how to do it. It might not be the right way, but it’s the only way I know how to do it.”

Sure-Oz
07-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Some on Royals Corner want us to trade for Brian Anderson for CF....since he wants out of chitown....

i think he'd fit in great here personally, being 27 years old and a career .225 hitter with a .288 OBP

FML

I'm sure he's better than Maier

thurman merman
07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Kansas City still has a Major League Baseball team?

wow that's a good one man. did you make that up yourself?

Mecca
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Some on Royals Corner want us to trade for Brian Anderson for CF....since he wants out of chitown....

i think he'd fit in great here personally, being 27 years old and a career .225 hitter with a .288 OBP

FML

I'm sure he's better than Maier

Sounds like a Dayton Moore kinda player...

I honestly wonder how poorly they're going to finish the season at this rate.

greg63
07-24-2009, 01:08 AM
wow that's a good one man. did you make that up yourself?

Yes, all by myself.

Sure-Oz
07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a Dayton Moore kinda player...

I honestly wonder how poorly they're going to finish the season at this rate.

Gotta get that #1 overall to get Bryce Harper, keep losing at an epic rate as far as im concerned.

Go Nationals!

OmahaChief
07-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I cannot express how pissed I am that Maier is coming back up. It is time for ANYONE else to get a shot. I don't give a fuck who it is just someone else in the minor league system that plays OF should be given a chance.

Sure-Oz
07-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I would like to see our other 1st round draft pick bust, Chris Lubanski

Reaper16
07-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I would like to see our other 1st round draft pick bust, Chris Lubanski
He's on a rehab assignment right now, close to coming back from injury.

Demonpenz
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Tried to make me go to rehab and I said no,no,no

Sure-Oz
07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Tigers DFA Josh Anderson
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 24 at 9:30am CST]

The Tigers designated outfielder Josh Anderson for assignment to make room for Carlos Guillen, according to MLB.com's Jason Beck. Anderson, 26, hit .242/.282/.315 with no homers in 74 games with the Tigers. He played all three outfield positions for the Tigers, and defended well in limited innings.

I see the royals grabbing him...former brave

thurman merman
07-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I cannot express how pissed I am that Maier is coming back up. It is time for ANYONE else to get a shot. I don't give a **** who it is just someone else in the minor league system that plays OF should be given a chance.

for real. why don't they give scott thorman a chance? he is hitting .281 with 17 HR in 70 games. at least he could hit one out every once in a while.

Mecca
07-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Chris Lubanski and Mitch Maier were the first 2 picks of 1 draft....how horrible is that?

sedated
07-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Royals place Jose Guillen (knee) on 15-day DL

Royals placed outfielder Jose Guillen on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 2 tear of the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee.
Guillen suffered the injury while putting on his batting shinguard Wednesday night and had to be taken to the hospital.

:shake:

OmahaChief
07-24-2009, 01:35 PM
for real. why don't they give scott thorman a chance? he is hitting .281 with 17 HR in 70 games. at least he could hit one out every once in a while.

Yep. I have no idea why he is not getting a shot. Maybe his OBP is too high or he shows too much power to play in our outfield. That is my best guess.

Sure-Oz
07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
ESPY Teahen getting ripped by a fan on there...about his recent tweets...ESPY responds to the negative comments "you aren't mad at me, you're mad at your dad, come out to the K, someone needs a hug from sluggger!" Not sure if he has responded to Zack's lack of run support comment yet...poor espy, i hope mark doesn't see his tweets!

http://twitter.com/ESPY_TEAHEN

Sure-Oz
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Sat, Jul 25

Wladamier Balentien was designated for assignment Saturday to make room for Michael Saunders, the Seattle Times reports.

Recommendation: It's a little surprising that the Mariners would just give up on Balentien, but he had fallen out of favor some time ago and was out of options, thus the DFA. The team will try to trade him in the next 10 days. If they can't, and Balentien then clears waivers, they'll send him to Triple-A, but he would be better off with a new organization.

(Rotowire.com)

Wladimir Balentien-OF- Mariners Jul. 25 - 2:01 pm et

Mariners designate outfielder Wladimir Balentien for assignment.

This is quite a signal sent by a team who once viewed Balentien as a future staple of their outfield. But with just 12 home runs and a 30 percent strikeout rate in 401 major league at-bats, the Mariners were clearly unhappy with his progress. Remember that he is just 25 years old, with plus-power, so he'll find a new home before long.

Weren't we trying to trade for this guy a few years ago and almost offered Butler up? We should get him...

Demonpenz
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Sat, Jul 25

Wladamier Balentien was designated for assignment Saturday to make room for Michael Saunders, the Seattle Times reports.

Recommendation: It's a little surprising that the Mariners would just give up on Balentien, but he had fallen out of favor some time ago and was out of options, thus the DFA. The team will try to trade him in the next 10 days. If they can't, and Balentien then clears waivers, they'll send him to Triple-A, but he would be better off with a new organization.

(Rotowire.com)

Weren't we trying to trade for this guy a few years ago and almost offered Butler up? I say try to get him if we can!

bentencourt

Sure-Oz
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Jayson Stark was on 810 earlier. Said the Royals are asking for too much for Cruz and Mahay, and are talking about moving Bannister, and are listening to offers for Teahen and DJ but aren't pushing to move them.

Also Brian Anderson CF of the Whitesox has been traded to the red sox for mark kotsay.

BigCatDaddy
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Jayson Stark was on 810 earlier. Said the Royals are asking for too much for Cruz and Mahay, and are talking about moving Bannister, and are listening to offers for Teahen and DJ but aren't pushing to move them.

Also Brian Anderson CF of the Whitesox has been traded to the red sox for mark kotsay.

Who the hell would want to have Cruz or Mahay on there team right now anyways, let alone give up something?

thurman merman
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Said the Royals are asking for too much for Cruz

WTF? what are they asking for? a glass of milk?

DeezNutz
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM

ROFL

sportsman1
07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Um anything more than a bag of baseballs, and maybe a 12 pack of beer is too much.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
http://royalsauthority.com/2009/07/three-wins-out-of-four-is-no-reason-to-stand-pat.html

July 29, 2009

Three Wins Out of Four is No Reason to Stand Pat
5 Comments

By Clark Fosler
Recommended (0) | Share
Close X
Twackle
Yardbarker
BallHype
Facebook
Digg

The Royals picked up a nice eleven inning win last night in Baltimore to net their second straight win and third victory in the last four games. The bullpen which had been so horrible during a disasterous 1-8 homestand had now thrown nine straight scoreless innings. Willie Bloomquist has set career highs in both steals (17) and home runs (3). Billy Butler continues to develop into a possible middle of the order bat and Alex Gordon is back. Trust the process, right?

No way.

This is still a horrible defensive team - I think if you gave Frank White the time during a broadcast, he could point out a defensive lapse on EVERY batted ball. Despite the nine scoreless innings, the Royals might possess the must untrustworthy group of bullpen arms (excluding Joakim Soria) in the game and something tells me that the return of Kyle Farnsworth and Doug Waechter is not exactly a cure. Plus, more than any other factor, this is still an anemic offense. One that features Willie Bloomquist batting second and Mark Teahen batting fourth and a designated hitter platoon of Mike Jacobs and Miguel Olivo: both of whom have 89 strikeouts and just 59 hits.

This team needs help. More help than just waiting for Jose Guillen, Coco Crisp and Mike Aviles to get healthy and Alex Gordon to get back in the groove.

Given the state of the Kansas City Royals, even minor moves can make a difference and sometimes those minor moves turn into major acquisitions over time. That brings us (at last!) to today's topic: WLADIMIR BALENTIEN.

The twenty-five year old outfielder was designated for assignment by Seattle on July 25th: meaning they have ten days to try to do something with Balentien. This is a chance for the Royals to make a bargain basement deal on a power hitting outfielder. It is also a chance they had once before and neglected to do so.

On March 30th, 2008, the Rangers designated outfielder Nelson Cruz for assignment (coincidentally the same day they also designated Robinson Tejeda for assignment). Certainly the end of March is a far better time for teams to try to move players with great talent, but unrealized potential, through the process and keep them in the system than the end of July, so perhaps we can grant a small sliver of forgiveness to the Royals for not pouncing on that opportunity. I distinctly remember at the time thinking this would be a good pickup for Kansas City and even offered up a trade for Cruz later that year in a what if you were the general manager column.

Back in March of 2008, Cruz had a 145 game major league resume that sported a batting line of .231/.282/.385 with an OPS+ of just 73. At age twenty-seven, Cruz had logged over 200 games at the AAA level and seemed to be on the road to becoming a career AAAA player. At that time, Nelson had a career minor league line of .291/.344/.513.

As we know, Cruz went on to obliterate AAA in 2008 to the tune of .341/.430/.693, got a late season callup to Texas. All he did once back in the majors was hit .330/.421/.609, solidified himself as a 2009 regular and played in the All-Star Game this summer.

Now, back to the present. Wladimir Balentien just turned twenty-five years old and has logged 130 career major league appearances. In that time, he has hit an anemic .209/.260/.359 with an OPS+ of only 65. His career minor league batting line is .273/.345/.526, which includes 186 games at the AAA level.

The Cruz/Balentien comparision is interesting in that both were at roughly the same stages of their careers when designated for assignment. While Cruz was two, almost three, years older at the time of their DFA, he had also started his professional career two years later than Balentein. They had both been up and down between the majors and AAA, although Cruz had essentially an extra half season of AAA ball on his resume.

Let's compare a touch further.

In his first AAA experience of any note (second half of 2005), Nelson Cruz posted an OPS of .872. Balentien's first AAA exposure was a full season in 2007 where he posted an OPS of .871.

Cruz was back in AAA for the 2006 campaign and put up an OPS of .907 the second time around. Balentien's second season AAA OPS was .938. For the entire minor league careers (and keep in mind that includes Cruz's monster half season of AAA ball in 2008), Cruz has an overall OPS of .909, while Balentien's career minor league OPS is .871.

Given that Dayton Moore was willing to give up Daniel Cortes to acquire Yuniesky Betancourt, surely the two teams can reach some sort of accomodation to acquire Balentien as well. Truthfully, is their anyone on the AAA or AA rosters that would be off-limits at this point? Would it even take that much?

The Royals should acquire Balentien and put him in leftfield for every game the rest of the season. This would push David DeJesus to centerfield and you could then move Willie Bloomquist to second base. Given what Jacobs and now Olivo are producing or, more accurately not producing, as designated hitters, I would put Alberto Callaspo at DH even if he is not a prototypical designated hitter type.

Under that scenario, the Royals are better. Perhaps they are not dramatically better and the possibility exists that they might not be improved by even one game. What's the risk, however? Does the organization care so much about finishing fourth instead of fifth in the AL Central that they will not allow themselves to take risks like Balentien?

Let's hope not.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Giants Interested In Sanchez, Scutaro, Teahen
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 29 at 12:54pm CST]
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports that Freddy Sanchez remains atop the Giants' list of bats as they continue their determined search for offense. Free agent-to-be Marco Scutaro and Mark Teahen also interest the Giants.

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope we trade Bloomquest Dejesus maybe a catcher. Lets give pena most the atbats at C thx

sedated
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM
with CoCo gone and Guillen looking like a free agent disaster, is is really smart to be shopping our only 2 other OF'rs?

I'm trying to hold out some hope that we can compete before we have to trade Grienke.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
We need to compete or greinke will want out....he re-signed hoping we'd build a team around him.

I will be surprised if any moves happen. I think they def. need to pick up Balentien, we need all the help we can get.

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
with CoCo gone and Guillen looking like a free agent disaster, is is really smart to be shopping our only 2 other OF'rs?

I'm trying to hold out some hope that we can compete before we have to trade Grienke.

we need to blow this thing up it isn't working.

MVChiefFan
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
we need to blow this thing up it isn't working.

That's what I'm saying. Not necessarily rebuild but the players we have are horrible and have proven horrible for years now.

Sure-Oz
07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Reds Acquire Wladimir Balentien
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 29 at 1:56pm CST]
Ed Price of AOL FanHouse reports that the Reds acquired Wladimir Balentien from the Mariners for righty Robert Manuel.

Nice job standing pat Moore

Mecca
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I remember when the Reds got Brandon Phillips for nothing...and Josh Hamilton for nothing...

I love being a fan of a team like the Royals that blatantly doesn't know what they are doing.

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I remember when the Reds got Brandon Phillips for nothing...and Josh Hamilton for nothing...

I love being a fan of a team like the Royals that blatantly doesn't know what they are doing.

Yes the Reds are a model franchise always in the playoffs

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
The reds are so fucking good they got their shit swept by the royals this year

Short Leash Hootie
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM

the Royals got Joakim Soria for nothing...

The Reds aren't exactly some sort of model franchise or anything...they have Dusty Baker as their manager LMAO

Mecca
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
the Royals got Joakim Soria for nothing...

The Reds aren't exactly some sort of model franchise or anything...they have Dusty Baker as their manager LMAO

They do a ton of stupid shit too but atleast they appear to try.

Low risk high reward players are worth chances instead of making dumbass moves like Mike Jacobs.

Reaper16
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe the Royals will finish in 4th place after all: The Indians traded Cliff Lee & Ben Francisco to the Phillies.

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Maybe the Royals will finish in 4th place after all: The Indians traded Cliff Lee & Ben Francisco to the Phillies.

Angels better get on the horn to get Holliday

DeezNutz
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Betancourt's numbers thus far with the Royals (stolen from Royals Corner):

PA: 31
AB: 29
Runs: 3
Hits: 5
HR: 0
RBI: 1
BA: .172
OBP: .167
SLG: .241
OPS: .408
OPS+: 8

Chiefspants
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Betancourt's numbers thus far with the Royals (stolen from Royals Corner):

PA: 31
AB: 29
Runs: 3
Hits: 5
HR: 0
RBI: 1
BA: .172
OBP: .167
SLG: .241
OPS: .408
OPS+: 8

Look, he had enormous shoes to fill replacing Tony Pena JR. I don't blame him from struggling from the incredible pressure he's under

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
how is his obp lower than his BA?

DeezNutz
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
I wonder if Dorsey can play SS?

DeezNutz
07-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Either a mistake or:

"If you have more sac flies than your combined total of walks and hit by pitch, your OBP will be lower than your batting average. That's because sac flies are taken into account for OBP, but not for batting average." Yahoo Answers.

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I would suspect it goes for sac bunts, because bentencourt leads the majors in sac bunts, which i hate with a passion, but we can move runners at all, we need to just get runs anyway we can scratch them out.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1692332,CST-SPT-csep30.article

Cubs in search of lefty bat who can play right

July 30, 2009
BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com
The Cubs don't want switch hitter Milton Bradley to give up batting left-handed as an answer to his seasonlong problems from that side of the plate. But sources said one possibility being discussed is limiting him to a platoon role -- if the Cubs can acquire a left-handed hitter who can play right field.

Specifically, the Cubs have looked into the Royals' Mark Teahen and the Marlins' Jeremy Hermida, who were weak blips on the Cubs' radar early last winter before they zeroed in on Bradley in early November.

» Click to enlarge image

The Cubs have looked into the Royals' Mark Teahen (left) and the Marlins' Jeremy Hermida as left-handed hitters who can play right field.
(AP)

With barely a day left before the non-waiver trade deadline Friday, the Cubs weren't optimistic either one could be acquired, according to a team source. They're thought to have about $2 million to $3 million of payroll room to work with -- which would be the prorated equivalent of about $5 million to $8 million in full-year contract value.
Teahen (.293, nine home runs, 36 RBI) is having the better season offensively. He has played mostly third base this season but started 11 games in right field. The Royals have had other teams ask about Teahen and might be willing to trade him, but they are said to be looking for a center fielder.

Teahen makes $3.575 million this season on a one-year deal.

Hermida (.249, 11 homers, 38 RBI), who has split time between left and right field, has been shopped openly in recent weeks by the Marlins, who are looking for bullpen help. He has a one-year, $2.25 million contract.

The $30 million Bradley, who has raised his average to .250 in the last two months, still is hitting only .209 left-handed. He's batting .347 right-handed.

Asked Wednesday if he was encouraged after getting two hits and just missing a third when he lined out, Bradley said: ''I'm encouraged every day. It's a constant battle to find your swing and figure out, 'How do you hit .320 [in '08], and now you have trouble just hitting the ball?' But I'm too good to worry about it. I just have to keep going.''

Inside of the 48-hour countdown to the trade deadline, the Cubs also continued to pursue left-handed bullpen help to alleviate some of the burden on lone pen lefty Sean Marshall.

----

There is also a rumor if this deal goes down it could involve another team including possibilities of Gorzellany or Tabata from the Pirates.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
The Kansas City Royals have acquired outfielder Josh Anderson from the Detroit Tigers for cash considerations. Anderson’s reporting date has yet to be determined. The Royals will make a corresponding roster move at that time.
Anderson, 26, has spent the entire season with the Tigers, batting .242 (40-for-165) with four doubles, four triples, 16 RBI and 22 runs scored. In limited time, the speedster stole 13 bases in 15 attempts while playing at all three outfield spots. He was designated for assignment by Detroit on July 24.

Makes me wonder if this is a possible move to setup a Teahen move or just for depth. Good depth move, could be a solid 4th OFer

Reaper16
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
The Kansas City Royals have acquired outfielder Josh Anderson from the Detroit Tigers for cash considerations. Anderson’s reporting date has yet to be determined. The Royals will make a corresponding roster move at that time.
Anderson, 26, has spent the entire season with the Tigers, batting .242 (40-for-165) with four doubles, four triples, 16 RBI and 22 runs scored. In limited time, the speedster stole 13 bases in 15 attempts while playing at all three outfield spots. He was designated for assignment by Detroit on July 24.

Makes me wonder if this is a possible move to setup a Teahen move or just for depth. Good depth move, could be a solid 4th OFer
We just bought Mitch Maier 2.0. Yay?

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM

No....we brought in mitch maier 2.0 with SPEED!!!!!!!!!! But the big question is can he jump over cars?

thurman merman
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Angels better get on the horn to get Holliday

cardinals already did, buddy.

thurman merman
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM

hmmm, he batted .294 last year in limited playing time. he's certainly better than maier.

sportsman1
07-30-2009, 12:55 PM
He is still young too. There is a good chance this might be one of those great "reds" deals.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Jason Stark is now saying the CUBS are looking for RP help only....

Royals are trying to push a deal to get Mahay out of here

Mecca
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM

Joey Gathwhite

petegz28
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
I say you put Anderson in and lets see what he has. No use in running Bloomy out there every night.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
The only reason we should play bloomy is because he has some trade value because he can play anywhere and is a team guy. Even after the trade deadline I am willing to bet he would clear waivers until a team that needed a utility dude down the stretch. The Rays could put zobrest back in right and have bloomy at second is an example.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
we need to get rid of everyone just for the simple fact they don't complement each other well. Now I know Rany has said this many times that we have the same type of player etc but it really comes into play you have a guy that can get on base like gordon then we have no one behind him to hit and run or do ANYTHING with. In a perfect world when a guy gets on whe actually drive him home with some slug, but we are never going to have that bat exept for butler and if mustakas hosmer come up. So what they need to get is people we get hit by pitches, take a bunch of pitchings, good bat control guys. Instead I am sure we are going to Dayton rig the team to have free swingers who because they free swing never drive the ball, this giving us nothing

petegz28
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
The only reason we should play bloomy is because he has some trade value because he can play anywhere and is a team guy. Even after the trade deadline I am willing to bet he would clear waivers until a team that needed a utility dude down the stretch. The Rays could put zobrest back in right and have bloomy at second is an example.

meh...Bloomy is having a career year, his stats show that. You don't have to put him out on the field every night to showcase him.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
meh...Bloomy is having a career year, his stats show that. You don't have to put him out on the field every night to showcase him.

well the fact that the royals would and do play him in positions on a regular basis that no one else puts him in for an extended time would blow that up. Yes teams know he plays a good second base, and a ok right field, but imagine what they do when we put him in center and they look at their scouting report like wtf? He plays center average too? Lets see what these zany royals do next..... first base? 4th outfield for slow pitch softball? Kick returner?

BWillie
07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Another game and Alex Gordon has the only walks out our entire team. Say what you want about Alex Gordon, but he gets on base even if he has a low BA AVG

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:36 PM
yeah AG should start mashing per rany because of he is waiting on his pitches. Everyone on the team should take 2 strikes before they are allowed to swing.

WoodDraw
07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah AG should start mashing per rany because of he is waiting on his pitches. Everyone on the team should take 2 strikes before they are allowed to swing.

Yeah, that's what Rany said.

You're both funny and well informed.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's what Rany said.

You're both funny and well informed.

well that is what he was predicting awhile ago. he is informed and I am funny. Considering Rany nails almost everything (exept he didn't expect beltran to get to the majors.....let alone win rookie of the year...back in the day) I always respect his opinion because baseball is so a+b=c year in and year out

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Does anyone's company give away free tickets to the royals if they do well? That seems like a punishment if you were late. Maybe they should make you sit through a royals game instead of Community service, like if you were caught fucking a horse....twice

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 02:59 PM
I think my 25 years around the game. Seeing thousands and thousands of games playing, coaching, watching, gives me a good feel on the game. I got the ride around on the bus for game after boring ass game feel and yet I love stats. So if you gave me a team that I am not a fan, let Rob Neyer and Rany do the leg work on the stats, I probably would give you a solid opinion on a win total at the beginning of a year. The fact that I am always high, drunk, and love the royals always skews my beliefs on the royals. I like to think I can will them through a magical season. Then the expected happens. they suck shit, the players they sign suck shit. Just like when you put the birds on bat uni on, or you put the pin stripes on, you just turn into a better ball player for whatever reason. You put on that powder blue and you don't walk and throw like barack

DeezNutz
07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Rany has a very good update about some trade possibilities (ranyontheroyals.com). I'm not going to post the whole thing, but I found the section on Bannister humorous and interesting. If you're familiar with Rany's blog, it's rare for him to drop a "cluster****":

"Brian Bannister: The Brewers supposedly have interest, but Bannister is under contract through 2012, and you don’t give away three-plus years of a quality major league starter without getting some serious coin in exchange. There’s a trade here that could work – Bannister for Alcides Escobar, who’s very young, developing as a hitter, and one of the finest defensive shortstops in the minors. But that would require Moore to acknowledge that the Yuniesky Betancourt trade was a clusterf**k in every way imaginable, and something tells me he isn’t ready to do that.

(On the subject of Betancourt: it’s way too early to evaluate his performance – if he were 15-for-42 instead of 5-for-42, I’d be shouting “SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!” from the rooftops, and it’s not fair to ignore that issue just because he’s sucking at a Penaesque level. But man, even I thought that he would show some short-term improvement just from having a change of scenery. I never thought that the Betancourt acquisition would end well, but if he keeps hitting like this, at least it might end soon.)"

WilliamTheIrish
07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mecca

They [the Reds and Cubs] do a ton of stupid shit too but atleast they appear to try.

Low risk high reward players are worth chances instead of making dumbass moves like Mike Jacobs.

I love this board.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Rany has a very good update about some trade possibilities (ranyontheroyals.com). I'm not going to post the whole thing, but I found the section on Bannister humorous and interesting. If you're familiar with Rany's blog, it's rare for him to drop a "cluster****":

"Brian Bannister: The Brewers supposedly have interest, but Bannister is under contract through 2012, and you don’t give away three-plus years of a quality major league starter without getting some serious coin in exchange. There’s a trade here that could work – Bannister for Alcides Escobar, who’s very young, developing as a hitter, and one of the finest defensive shortstops in the minors. But that would require Moore to acknowledge that the Yuniesky Betancourt trade was a clusterf**k in every way imaginable, and something tells me he isn’t ready to do that.

(On the subject of Betancourt: it’s way too early to evaluate his performance – if he were 15-for-42 instead of 5-for-42, I’d be shouting “SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!” from the rooftops, and it’s not fair to ignore that issue just because he’s sucking at a Penaesque level. But man, even I thought that he would show some short-term improvement just from having a change of scenery. I never thought that the Betancourt acquisition would end well, but if he keeps hitting like this, at least it might end soon.)"

Escobar is untouchable imo, let alone for Banny

DeezNutz
07-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Escobar is untouchable imo, let alone for Banny

I agree that seems far too high of return, and I like Bannister.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Dayton is an arrogant fuck who won't even reconize defensive stats, he is going to ride yunell like refusing to not fuck your girlfriend just because she is on the rag

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree that seems far too high of return, and I like Bannister.

I just have a feeling it will stay quiet, our biggest aqu. will be betancourt, who currently is worse than pena jr at the plate, wow!

DeezNutz
07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Dayton's stubborn stupidity is trying to force all Royals fans into the arms of the Cardinals.

Demonpenz
07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Dayton's stubborn stupidity is trying to force all Royals fans into the arms of the Cardinals.

I can just see a parody scene in my mind with Darth Vador wearing a cards uni and sandles cutting off lukes hand as he clinches to the 1985 world series banner atop of Kauffman. It is your destany.....
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO then you jump off and get into a space ship with Bill Pecota, U.L. washington, Kurt Stillwell driving

gblowfish
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
The Royals lost again today. They're playing at a .396 clip. So that means they for sure lose six out of every ten games they play.

I came up with a little Royals chant to drive home how awful these guys are.

There's 162 games in a season, so sing this song 16 times in a row for a full season effect:

Win Lose,
Win Lose,
Win Lose Lose,
Win Lose Lose.
(repeat 16 times)

That's the Royals season at a .396 clip.
Kill me now.

MVChiefFan
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
The Royals lost again today. They're playing at a .396 clip. So that means they for sure lose six out of every ten games they play.

I came up with a little Royals chant to drive home how awful these guys are.

There's 162 games in a season, so sing this song 16 times in a row for a full season effect:

Win Lose Lose,
Win Lose Lose,
Win Lose Lose,
Win Lose Lose Lose Lose.
(repeat 16 times)

That's the Royals season at a .396 clip.
Kill me now.

I gotta say, I'm more disappointed this year than any I can remember.(I know, I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:) But I really thought they were going to put it together. I went to the Rangers game last Friday night and as soon as Marlon Byrd hit that homer off of Greinke I knew it was over. That's just sad. This team is just depressing.

DeezNutz
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM
The Royals lost again today. They're playing at a .396 clip.

And this includes the 18-11 start, which was clearly a mirage. The "true" Royals win closer to a .300 clip.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Brian Bannister Drawing Interest
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 30 at 6:54pm CST]

Teams are inquiring on righty Brian Bannister, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The Royals weren't close to dealing him as of this evening, but we still have 20 hours before the deadline. Bannister, 28, makes $1.7MM this year and isn't scheduled to become a free agent until after the 2012 season.

Olney says Willie Bloomquist is also drawing interest.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 07:49 PM
7:47pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports hear that the Giants still have some interest in Mark Teahen.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
7:58pm: Jayson Stark and Buster Olney of ESPN.com report that the Yankees inquired about Bannister, but talks didn't develop because the Yankees asked the Royals to pay the $650k that remains on Bannister's 2009 contract. Since when does $650k stop the Yanks from making a deal? As Stark and Olney say, welcome to the wacky world of baseball 2009.

Coach
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Fucking wow. .242/.282/.315 with 13 steals in 15 tries for Detroit?

Crown Dayton's fucking ass. :shake: