PDA

View Full Version : Football WTF? Football: No Longer America's Sport?

T-post Tom
05-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Super Bowl could be played in London by 2014

The Super Bowl could be played in London as soon as 2014 according to a report in The Telegraph, an English newspaper.

According to the report, representatives from the Mayor of London's office and Visit London, the city's official visitor organization, has received assurances from the NFL that, after two sell-out regular-season games at Wembley Stadium and a third scheduled for Oct 25, there is a commitment to bring the championship game to the capital in 2014.

The NFL's special events team, headed by Frank Sopowitz, has looked at Canada, Mexico, Germany and the UK as potential destinations outside the United States but identified London as the outstanding candidate. It is expected to announce officially within the next 12 months that a Super Bowl will be staged across the Atlantic, with London standing to gain up to 350 million pounds from hosting the event, according to the report.

The NFL accepts that a Super Bowl in London will be fundamentally different in nature to the American version, since Wembley lacks the space of an out-of-town site, such as Miami's Dolphins Stadium, next year's venue, to host the many hundreds of 'tailgate parties' associated with the event. But London representatives have persuaded the League that they can support around 100 conferences and functions that take place in the week before the Super Bowl, as well as the 100,000 visitors expected from the United States, the Telegraph reported.

Fruit Ninja
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
They have talked about this happening for a while now.

They keep trying to shove it down Europe's throat, but they don't give a shit about American Football. All they care about is their Soccer. I don't even know why they bother. NFL europe was a huge fucking flop.

big nasty kcnut
05-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Repost!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
05-04-2009, 06:34 AM
They are trying to take the game away from the fans. WTF would I care about a game in Europe or any other country?

InChiefsHell
05-04-2009, 06:38 AM
The thing is, NFL Europe flopped, but NFL football does well there. Every time they have a game in London it sells out...they must believe there is money to be made by sending the biggest game in America over to the land of fish-n-chips...

...tailgating in London would suck ass. That is all...

Reerun_KC
05-04-2009, 06:43 AM
just imagine that the Chiefs make it to the bowl... And we cant even afford to go, because it is in some back asswards 3rd world country...

HypnotizedMonkey
05-04-2009, 07:05 AM
It makes so much sense to play the most meaningful game in the season in another country.. really.

Smed1065
05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
just imagine that the Chiefs make it to the bowl... And we cant even afford to go, because it is in some back asswards 3rd world country...

Like they care if the average supporter can go now?

You might be able to afford $3000 tickets and $1000 dollar hotel rooms in the USA. We do not matter in the week of money. No matter here or elsewhere.

Think about it.

Hologide
05-04-2009, 07:15 AM
The NFL is actually pretty huge here - prime time viewing on the main sports channels plus one of the strongest amatuer leagues outside of soccer and rugby - you'll do well to find a university or a city which hasn't got a team. It hasn't hit the mainstream yet though. I'm guessing the League believe putting the Superbowl in London might just push the NFL through into the public eye over here.

Unfortunately it wont happen because there's too much resistance from those over 40 who didn't grow up with the NFL on TV.

But no way they should have the Superbowl in London. It's just not... right.

To call those London games a "sell out" is an error however. Maybe they sold all the tickets but the stadium definitely wasn't full last year. 3/4 thousand short maybe. Probably down to ticket touts mostly.

Skip Towne
05-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I overwhelmingly don't give a shit.

Slainte
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
To call those London games a "sell out" is an error however. Maybe they sold all the tickets but the stadium definitely wasn't full last year. 3/4 thousand short maybe. Probably down to ticket touts mostly.

Correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't there bad weather the day of that game or in the days leading up to the game. I thought I remembered weather getting the blame for the no-shows. Or am I thinking about another NFL game played outside the US?...

PhillyChiefFan
05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
a regular season game is one thing, the Super Bowl is quite another.

They don't really give a shit about American football anyway.

Hologide
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't there bad weather the day of that game or in the days leading up to the game. I thought I remembered weather getting the blame for the no-shows. Or am I thinking about another NFL game played outside the US?...

The first one had atrocious weather both leading up to the game and during it. I stuck it through though :D
Was worth it to see Eli scamper for a TD. Man he took forever to get those 10 yards.

luv
05-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Seems like I've read about this somewhere before. Oh yeah! It was on here.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206514&highlight=london

EyePod
05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/1/back_in_time_or_a_repost.jpg