PDA

View Full Version : Royals Chicago White Sox @ Kansas City Royals Game Thread (5/4)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Saul Good
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
500 posts on a Royals thread. Gotta love it.

WilliamTheIrish
The fan base in KC has been decimated. I'd imagine there are Royals fans who will never get over the mental anguish from seeing the great Royals teams of the late 70's to the '85 season Championship Team through the laughingstock joke teams put on the field in the 90's through early 2000's.

Hell, when they traded away Johnny D. I washed my hands of the Royals because they truly had become the definition of a loser team with a slack ass loser management structure.

If they continue to play ball, pay their players and field a real team I'll come back to Royals stadium for the first time in over ten years.

I mean really, how can anyone go from watching George Brett in his prime, jacking three homers in the ALCS against Toronto and then watch more than a decade of shite!? I think they tried to kill the MLB market in KC and from reading some of the other threads some of you guys have bought into the "continuous rebuild" mentality which will never do anything but guarantee the end of a once proud franchise.

Go play poker, putz.

And George hit three HR against the Yankees in 78. His great game against Toronto was game 3 where he homered twice, doubled, singled and threw Damaso Garcia out at the plate on the single greatest play ever made in Royals stadium.

Chiefless
when was the last time MLB saw someone pitching this good?

Hey, Cliff Lee was awesome last year for that huge stretch...but he wasn't nearly this feisty.

Greinke's stuff is truly nasty. I thought his best pitch of the game was the 95 MPH fastball right in Alexei's face...that really set the tone.

When was this?

Nightfyre
Two Roylas player some to mind that really could dominate in this manner. Busby and Leo.

Leo was a workhorse who struggled in April, but always foud his groove in mid May. He was 20-12 with 21 complete games in 77 and 21-17 with 20 CG's in 78.

Buzz in 74 was 22-18 for a club that won 83 games with 20 CG's.

So, yes, we've had pitchers likem this before. You just have to search for them.
Thats a completely different era though.

Short Leash Hootie
There haven't been many runs like this. A few Maddux runs in the 90's, Dontrelle's great run a few years back, and Sabbathia last year for the Brewers at the end of the year. Maybe not as dominant though.

Oh, yeah...Sabathia.

I think the Brewers won like 13 straight games with him on the mound or something...

He was pretty filthy..

(However, Greinke is an AL pitcher...so big difference to dominate the AL opposed to the NL...Sabathia wasn't doing so hot in the AL-C before the trade)

KcMizzou
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I've always been one of those casual Royals fans that hope they win... catch a couple games... and use it as a diversion between college basketball and NFL football.

This season, I've watched probably 2/3rds of the games, and I'll plan my day around a Greinke start.

The best thing about baseball, IMO, is when you have a decent team... there's a game you wanna see damn near every day.

In '85 I was 11. This is new to me... but I've gotta say, I like it.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
When was this?

3rd inning I believe...

Ramirez laid in the dirt for about 5 seconds...I don't think he wanted to get up and see the next pitch...

And he guessed fastball for the rest of the game...so Greinke threw him a slider every time and Ramirez was about 5 seconds early and looked ridiculous all game.

Saul Good
Go play poker, putz.

And George hit three HR against the Yankees in 78. His great game against Toronto was game 3 where he homered twice, doubled, singled and threw Damaso Garcia out at the plate on the single greatest play ever made in Royals stadium.

He didn't say 3 homers in a game. He said in the series.

58-4ever
You can count on Greinke to buzz the tower at least once a game...usually twice against the Sox. Pitchers need to do that every now and then. It put's a little doubt in the back of a hitter's mind.

the way the ball explodes out of his hand after a very fluid wind-up reminds me of Pedro in his prime.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I've always been one of those casual Royals fans that hope they win... catch a couple games... and use it as a diversion between college basketball and NFL football.

This season, I've watched probably 2/3rds of the games, and I'll plan my day around a Greinke start.

The best thing about baseball, IMO, is when you have a decent team... there's a game you wanna see damn near every day.

In '85 I was 11. This is new to me... but I've gotta say, I like it.

I'm fairly lucky...I don't live in the area...so other than Sox games, I get to watch every game because if I miss it, I can hit the replay on MLB.TV...

(I guess technically you could hit the replay, too...since the games aren't blacked out after they are finished playing)

WilliamTheIrish
You can count on Greinke to buzz the tower at least once a game...usually twice against the Sox. Pitchers need to do that every now and then. It put's a little doubt in the back of a hitter's mind.
He picked the right guy to do it to also. Nobody gives a flip if Ramirez gets chin music.

And he laid him out. That should be screen capped. I'd love that as my avi.

Nightfyre
What are the details of Greinke's contract? We should compare him to Sabathia to get the bang for the buck comparison!

wild1
The fan base in KC has been decimated. I'd imagine there are Royals fans who will never get over the mental anguish from seeing the great Royals teams of the late 70's to the '85 season Championship Team through the laughingstock joke teams put on the field in the 90's through early 2000's.

Hell, when they traded away Johnny D. I washed my hands of the Royals because they truly had become the definition of a loser team with a slack ass loser management structure.

If they continue to play ball, pay their players and field a real team I'll come back to Royals stadium for the first time in over ten years.

I mean really, how can anyone go from watching George Brett in his prime, jacking three homers in the ALCS against Toronto and then watch more than a decade of shite!? I think they tried to kill the MLB market in KC and from reading some of the other threads some of you guys have bought into the "continuous rebuild" mentality which will never do anything but guarantee the end of a once proud franchise.

Go fuck yourself

beavis
05-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Go **** yourself

This.

Pioli Zombie
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
What should get Royals fans more excited is that they won 2 road games in a row without Greinke. That tells me they can contend.
In 1999 Pedro Martinez went 23-4. Saberhagen won 10. Nobody else won 10. The Red Sox went 94-68. That's what a guy like Greinke can do. If Meche can win 13-15 and Davies gives them 10-12 they can make the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Thats a completely different era though.
Yes, it was.

Yes. But I believe that was the question. I don't think either of those guys wnr 6-0 with an era that had to be read by the Hubble telescope, but they were dominant pitchers with killer stuff.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
If Banny keeps it up...

How sick would a...

Greinke/Meche/Davis/Hochevar/Bannister

rotation be?

We're talking for the future, too.

Chiefless
05-04-2009, 10:03 PM
3rd inning I believe...

Ramirez laid in the dirt for about 5 seconds...I don't think he wanted to get up and see the next pitch...

And he guessed fastball for the rest of the game...so Greinke threw him a slider every time and Ramirez was about 5 seconds early and looked ridiculous all game.

nice...Greinke plays head games on the mound I think.

Chiefless
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
He picked the right guy to do it to also. Nobody gives a flip if Ramirez gets chin music.

And he laid him out. That should be screen capped. I'd love that as my avi.

ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
What should get Royals fans more excited is that they won 2 road games in a row without Greinke. That tells me they can contend.
In 1999 Pedro Martinez went 23-4. Saberhagen won 10. Nobody else won 10. The Red Sox went 94-68. That's what a guy like Greinke can do. If Meche can win 13-15 and Davies gives them 10-12 they can make the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Honestly, I don't know where I'd be without you telling me these things. We won two games w/o ZG?

Who knew?

KcMizzou
05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
nice...Greinke plays head games on the mound I think.The guy did an amazing backward flop, with his knees bent backwards under him. He's got quick reflexes. It's a damned good thing, too... that could have been ugly.

rrl308
I have always loved this team, but right now I really,really, really love this team.

Pioli Zombie
If Banny keeps it up...

How sick would a...

Greinke/Meche/Davis/Hochevar/Bannister

rotation be?

We're talking for the future, too.
Exactly. If Bannister or Hochever pull it together you are talking about 2006 Tigers or 2008 Rays.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefaRoo
05-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Go fuck yourself

"All great truths begin as blasphemies"

- George Bernard Shaw

Pioli Zombie
05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Honestly, I don't know where I'd be without you telling me these things. We won two games w/o ZG?

Who knew?

I see what you mean. On the other hand go fuck yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
"All great truths begin as blasphemies"

- George Bernard Shaw

Walk into an AIDS tree./ chiefsplanet

ChiefaRoo
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Take Bill Snyders jizz across your nose./ Chief-A-roo

Pioli Zombie
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM

You see the same joke said a thousand times is kind of stale.

Its more sincere and direct to say Go fuck your mother when I'm through with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
It's the number of pitches that needs to be monitored, IMO. He finished nine innings with 104 pitches. That's what's been amazing about him. He's' piling on the innings and throwing fewer pitches at the same time.

It's not innings that matter. It's pitches. He isn't throwing that many pitches. Colon threw about as many in 6 innings.

I don't think innings matter nearly as much as pitches...and his pitch counts remain relatively low...

Hillman isn't Dusty Baker (thank god)...Baker would let Wood and Prior consistently throw 140 pitch outings...it was pure insanity.

i didn't get to watch or follow the game... been in the library all day studying for finals... my roommates recorded it for me when they started playing it on ESPN.. gonna be the first time i get to watch them this season...

BUT 104 PITCHES? THAT'S IT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... fuckin beauty

petegz28
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Bob Davis is a fucking idiot....all night long on the radio he kept saying "when Zack pitched opening day in Chicago...." that would be fine except Gil Meche pitched opening day. I cannot stand Davis as a baseball announcer.

ChiefaRoo
05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
You see the same joke said a thousand times is kind of stale.

Its more sincere and direct to say Go fuck your mother when I'm through with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Give the guy a break he's just a K-State grad.

alnorth
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
heard a neat stat on Sportscenter. Zack Greinke is the 3rd pitcher in MLB history to have an ERA under 0.50 after 6 starts, after some guy over 40 years ago, and another guy during the dead ball era in the 1910's

KcMizzou
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Less snarking and more Zack Greinke appreciation, please.

KcMizzou
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
heard a neat stat on Sportscenter. Zack Greinke is the 3rd pitcher in MLB history to have an ERA under 0.50 after 6 starts, after some guy over 40 years ago, and another guy during the dead ball era in the 1910'sThere ya go.

tk13
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
heard a neat stat on Sportscenter. Zack Greinke is the 3rd pitcher in MLB history to have an ERA under 0.50 after 6 starts, after some guy over 40 years ago, and another guy during the dead ball era in the 1910's
The other two were Fernando Valenzuela and Walter Johnson. Pretty good company. Yeah.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Less snarking and more Zack Greinke appreciation, please.

Piss on an electrified AIDS bush.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
The other two were Fernando Valenzuela and Walter Johnson. Pretty good company. Yeah.

I'd say so...

Geez.

Talk about making baseball relevant again in KC...if he keeps this up, his starts are going to be the talk of the town...I bet next time he starts at home the K will sell out.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Greinke is only projected to have 324 K's and 36 wins...

No big deal.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
nearly a 7:1 K/BB ratio...

Sick doesn't quite describe it.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
and I'm going to mention one more thing before I shut up for the night...

Two hits were legit hits...and one of them was a Texas leaguer...

petegz28
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I've been going to Royals games for almost 30 years and I don't think I have ever been to one where the pitcher threw a CG. Let alone a shut out. Zack is just fucking sick-nasty.

Pitt Gorilla
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd say so...

Geez.

Talk about making baseball relevant again in KC...if he keeps this up, his starts are going to be the talk of the town...I bet next time he starts at home the K will sell out.What are people waiting for? Greinke was pitching.

ChiefaRoo
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Go play poker, putz.

Hell Bill, I was there. 18, full of f**king beer and Royals Stadium was as loud as late 90's Arrowhead that night. I had about 8 beers in me so excuse me if I don't remember Brett's homers exactly. They were beautiful and I believe they came off Doyle Alexander and the last one put KC ahead. Those were the days. I hope the Royals get that chance to be great again. I'll be there. That was the point I was trying to make but some of you guys are just buttholes.

Ari Chi3fs
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Great time at the K tonight... absolutely brilliant. Gorgeous weather... it was my 7 year olds first time at the New K... did the batting cages and Little K early on... then sat down and watched Greinke fucking OWN the SUX.

I loved it. Greinke is unreal. Love this kid. So glad we didn't trade him or something stupid.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Great time at the K tonight... absolutely brilliant. Gorgeous weather... it was my 7 year olds first time at the New K... did the batting cages and Little K early on... then sat down and watched Greinke ****ing OWN the SUX.

I loved it. Greinke is unreal. Love this kid. So glad we didn't trade him or something stupid.

I'm so glad Moore was able to rehab him after Baird about ruined him.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm so glad Moore was able to rehab him after Baird about ruined him.

Wha?

Hmm...yes he had to carry some heavy expectations, but...

I don't think Baird did anything to ruin the kid. Might have arrived a bit early, but he was awfully good that first year. Didn't seem like anything was too big for him.

CHENZ A!
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Just got back from the game, and gonna be in LA to watch him beat the halo's ass this Sat too!! Big Zack is my dude! Hope Davies can rebound tomorrow and we can get a 2 game sweep. Break out tha brooms!

PS- WTF was billay doing flipping that shit with his glove? did it look as goofy/unnecessary on TV as in real life?

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Wha?

Hmm...yes he had to carry some heavy expectations, but...

I don't think Baird did anything to ruin the kid. Might have arrived a bit early, but he was awfully good that first year. Didn't seem like anything was too big for him.

Fuck yes he did. He put the team on his shoulders in his rookie season. And doing good was probably the worst thing cause it reinfiorced what Baird thought was right. The best thing that happened to Greinke was Meche and some time in the pen where the kid could just pitch and the Ace title was on someone else he could learn from.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Just got back from the game, and gonna be in LA to watch him beat the halo's ass this Sat too!! Big Zack is my dude! Hope Davies can rebound tomorrow and we can get a 2 game sweep. Break out tha brooms!

PS- WTF was billay doing flipping that shit with his glove? did it look as goofy/unnecessary on TV as in real life?

Yes.

Real athletic play by Greinke.

Short Leash Hootie
05-04-2009, 11:10 PM
**** yes he did. He put the team on his shoulders in his rookie season. And doing good was probably the worst thing cause it reinfiorced what Baird thought was right. The best thing that happened to Greinke was Meche and some time in the pen where the kid could just pitch and the Ace title was on someone else he could learn from.

He's 25 and excellent.

Props to anyone and everyone who had anything to do with him being a Royal if you ask me.

Reaper16
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Great time at the K tonight... absolutely brilliant. Gorgeous weather... it was my 7 year olds first time at the New K... did the batting cages and Little K early on... then sat down and watched Greinke fucking OWN the SUX.

I was there tonight, too. Amazing time.

CG shutouts are becoming the norm for Greinke. Scary.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:12 PM
He's 25 and excellent.

Props to anyone and everyone who had anything to do with him being a Royal if you ask me.

I won't knock Baird's eye for some talent. But I will knock how he managed it.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I give Baird and co. credit for allowing Greinke to find his way and not pressuring him when he was dealing with his personal issues. That's huge, really.

There's no question that the acquisition of some talented vets, like Meche and Riske, was unbelievably beneficial for Zack. But I'd imagine that all young pitchers need to have their mentors, so, the Royals were merely acting like a ML franchise. Which has been rare around these parts, I grant you.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
If I ever see Allard Baird, I'm going to hug him for not allowing ZG to fall of the face of the earth.

Buddy Bell too.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I give Baird and co. credit for allowing Greinke to find his way and not pressuring him when he was dealing with his personal issues. That's huge, really.

There's no question that the acquisition of some talented vets, like Meche and Riske, was unbelievably beneficial for Zack. But I'd imagine that all young pitchers need to have their mentors, so, the Royals were merely acting like a ML franchise. Which has been rare around these parts, I grant you.

But it more or less took Moore to manage it like a ML franchise. Baird as far as I am concerned induced some of Greinke's issues. And Moore managed Greinke the way he should have been from the start. As I said earlier, Baird had a decent eye for talent, just no clue on what to do with it.

Dartgod
05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I was out there tonight as well. Great game!

Ari Chi3fs
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
went to the new Royals Club Store or whatever its called... dude. Greinke jerseys and shirts were FLYING off the shelves.

I got my son a tshirt of his favorite player, Joakim Soria. He is wearing it to bed... and was a bit sad not to see him come in, in the 9th... but was sooo excited to see how Greinke pitched. Kind of cute.

We had about 35 high fives tonight... heh. Good dad - son bonding time.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I was out there tonight as well. Great game!

It was. Great weather, wind died down which is good cause when it blows it can get chilly in our seats. I had some great fans around me tonight too. Everyone was into the game, no one yapping on their phones or getting up all the time. My first time getting to see Greinke this year and man will I ever remember this game. I'm still exlpaining to my wife how she saw something she will probably never see again with a pitcher throwing a CG shutout.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
went to the new Royals Club Store or whatever its called... dude. Greinke jerseys and shirts were FLYING off the shelves.

I got my son a tshirt of his favorite player, Joakim Soria. He is wearing it to bed... and was a bit sad not to see him come in, in the 9th... but was sooo excited to see how Greinke pitched. Kind of cute.

Excellent!:thumb:

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
But it more or less took Moore to manage it like a ML franchise. Baird as far as I am concerned induced some of Greinke's issues. And Moore managed Greinke the way he should have been from the start. As I said earlier, Baird had a decent eye for talent, just no clue on what to do with it.

Maybe.

It's hard for me to judge the Baird years, really, because the dude was given absolutely no resources to do his job properly.

The fact that he was immediately hired by the Red Sox (for more money than he was making as a GM) suggests that he must not have been a complete dumbass.

I blame most problems during this period on Glass.

IMO, the organization as a whole did about everything it could for Zack, and now we're reaping the rewards.

alnorth
05-04-2009, 11:26 PM
This probably wont surprise anyone, but right now Zack Greinke has both the AL and Major League Triple crown. Lots of guys have won a triple crown in their league, but the Major League triple crown is pretty rare. (12 times in MLB history, before Johan Santana in 2006, you have to go back to Dwight Gooden in 1985)

Do you think Greinke can become the 13th Major League pitching Triple Crown winner?

WINS

1. Zack Greinke , Royals 6
T2. Chad Billingsley , Dodgers 5
T2. Roy Halladay , Blue Jays 5
4. 8 more tied with 4

STRIKEOUTS

1. Zack Greinke, Royals 54
2. Javier Vazquez , Braves 50
3. Dan Haren , Diamondbacks 47
T4. Justin Verlander , Tigers 45
T4. Felix Hernandez, Mariners 45

ERA

1. Zack Greinke, Royals 0.40
2. Johan Santana, Mets 1.10
3. Dan Haren, Diamondbacks 1.47
4. Johnny Cueto , Reds 1.65
5. Jair Jurrjens , Braves 1.89

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe.

It's hard for me to judge the Baird years, really, because the dude was given absolutely no resources to do his job properly.

The fact that he was immediately hired by the Red Sox (for more money than he was making as a GM) suggests that he must not have been a complete dumbass.

I blame most problems during this period on Glass.

IMO, the organization as a whole did about everything it could for Zack, and now we're reaping the rewards.

Oh don't get me wrong, I blame Glass for the majority of the problem. I just think Baird was so happy to be a GM that he was a "yes man" to the Glass family.

And the other thing was the perennial mantra of "we aren't playing for this year" really would piss me off.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
For the sake of argument, can you imagine Greinke's line if we were an NL team? At the very least, his strikeout numbers would be even higher because he'd be facing an 8-man lineup.

petegz28
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
For the sake of argument, can you imagine Greinke's line if we were an NL team? At the very least, his strikeout numbers would be even higher because he'd be facing an 8-man lineup.

And he would be batting .300!!!

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I blame Glass for the majority of the problem. I just think Baird was so happy to be a GM that he was a "yes man" to the Glass family.

And the other thing was the perennial mantra of "we aren't playing for this year" really would piss me off.

I agree that Baird needed to stand up more, even if that would have cost him his job. But, hell, that's real easy for me to say when it's not my job, right...

Yeah, that sucked. Again, WTF are you supposed to say, though, when you know damn well you don't have the resources to do shit? In all honesty, I'm surprised more people didn't quit or refuse to take a job with the franchise during those years.

DeezNutz
05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
And he would be batting .300!!!

Of course he would. Triple Crown in all respects.

KChiefs1
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Greinke:
G - 6
W - 6
CG - 3
SO - 2
IP - 45
ERA - 0.40
Ks - 54
BB - 8
H - 24
WHIP - 0.71
K/9 - 10.8
K/BB - 6.75

those numbers are just plain sick....

:hail: ZACK GREINKE

Dartgod
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Did you see the Mexican World Baseball Classic Soria jersey? That thing was freakin' sweet!

KChiefs1
05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
ERA

1. Zack Greinke, Royals 0.40
2. Johan Santana, Mets 1.10
3. Dan Haren, Diamondbacks 1.47
4. Johnny Cueto , Reds 1.65
5. Jair Jurrjens , Braves 1.89

Zack is the only AL guy on that list....:thumb:

Saulbadguy
05-04-2009, 11:42 PM
The best part of the game was the sad individual who patterned his whole style after Guy Fieri. Who the fuck wants to be mistaken for that fuckface?

LMAO

Sure-Oz
05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Working 17 hours a day sucks, i really wish i started my dvr this morning to see this gem!

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 12:00 AM
MLB.TV has DVR so you can literally jump to all of his innings without having to watch the (usual) shitty at bats!

(they weren't so bad tonight...lots of good walks)

thurman merman
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Do you think Greinke can become the 13th Major League pitching Triple Crown winner?

absolutely.

mikey23545
05-05-2009, 12:24 AM

Wow. Classic fairweather fan.

Sure-Oz
05-05-2009, 12:25 AM

Well, atleast it wasn't the "strike" excuse

Go Royals!

Kyle DeLexus
05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Amazing game, great atmosphere. Can't wait for Greinke's next start at the K.

KC_Connection
05-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Who else drafted Greinke in fantasy baseball?

KC_Connection
05-05-2009, 12:41 AM
This probably wont surprise anyone, but right now Zack Greinke has both the AL and Major League Triple crown. Lots of guys have won a triple crown in their league, but the Major League triple crown is pretty rare. (12 times in MLB history, before Johan Santana in 2006, you have to go back to Dwight Gooden in 1985)

WINS

1. Zack Greinke , Royals 6
T2. Chad Billingsley , Dodgers 5
T2. Roy Halladay , Blue Jays 5
4. 8 more tied with 4

If he keeps pitching like this, he'll have a great chance at winning the strikeouts and ERA. The wins are always the most difficult to predict, however, because run support is often a random thing. And it especially hurts that he pitches for a team with a weak offense in the Royals. Halladay should end up with 20 wins barring injury, so that will be the most difficult category for Zack to reach, IMO.

KC_Connection
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM

The NL is such an inferior league (sorry Cardinals fans, but it's the truth).

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 01:13 AM
The NL is such an inferior league (sorry Cardinals fans, but it's the truth).

I wouldn't say it is inferior, it is just different.

If anything, the DH spot dumbs down the game...

Mosbonian
05-05-2009, 01:17 AM

The DH was created for 2 reasons:

1) To prolong the career of the "twilight" players who could still hit but were too slow, fat, or lazy to play defense....

2) To help the Union, players Reps and the players add money to their pockets.

mmaddog

KC_Connection
05-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Oh, it's inferior. The NL West, in particular, is a huge joke. What is takes to be competitive in that division (and that entire league) is much less than what it takes in the AL.

Of course, I'm a bit jaded considering I'm a Jays fan...but the point still stands.

Denver Dave
05-05-2009, 03:52 AM
The DH was created for 2 reasons:

1) To prolong the career of the "twilight" players who could still hit but were too slow, fat, or lazy to play defense....

2) To help the Union, players Reps and the players add money to their pockets.

mmaddog

I want to add one more reason. The American League owners voted in favor of DH to spike fan interest, boost offense and sell tickets.

In the early 70s, the National League was coming off a decade where they had Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Koufax, Gibson, Rose, Morgan, Stargell, McCovey, Marichal, Bench. They had the marquee players in the game.

On the other hand, the Yankees dynasty faded with Mantle retiring and the Orioles and Athletics weren't enough to get people jazzed about the Junior Circuit.

chiefqueen
05-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Amazing game, great atmosphere. Can't wait for Greinke's next start at the K.

His next start at the K will either be 5/14 or 5/15 depending on what Trey does with the off day 5/11 (does he flip-flop Zach & Gil).

Coach
05-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Greinke:
G - 6
W - 6
CG - 3
SO - 2
IP - 45
ERA - 0.40
Ks - 54
BB - 8
H - 24
WHIP - 0.71
K/9 - 10.8
K/BB - 6.75

Gat Damn. That K/9 is fucking impressive.

Pioli Zombie
05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
I don't buy this "well its been bad for a long time" crap

They brought in a good GM from a winning organization. The focus has been on developing good young players. They have a beautiful ballpark they are playing well now. And they have the best pitcher in baseball. Get out to the fargin games already!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
05-05-2009, 07:50 AM

Uh - this is a Royals thread with nearly 600 replies. I'd say the majority of the posts are coming from fairweather fans.

alanm
05-05-2009, 07:54 AM

If anything, the DH spot dumbs down the game...Greinke's era would be sick if he had to face a pitcher 3-4 times a game.

Demonpenz
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
That was Guy, he was just drunk so he didn't want to say anything stupid. That explains the sunglasses

Demonpenz
05-05-2009, 09:19 AM
i caught the game yesterday, but I don't want to go through the thread, anyone think that interview with Gut Ferrari Sucked?

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-05-2009, 09:40 AM

See to me having the pitcher bat with guys on base down 2 runs dumbs down the game. Yea you can go to the cold pinch hitter and hope for the best... yay. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, I have no problem giving a spot to guys who are good enough to make a living out of it rather than the average pitcher who turns an exciting spot in a game into an easy out.

Demonpenz
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
that's why you have matt stairs come in and park one.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
See to me having the pitcher bat with guys on base down 2 runs dumbs down the game. Yea you can go to the cold pinch hitter and hope for the best... yay. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, I have no problem giving a spot to guys who are good enough to make a living out of it rather than the average pitcher who turns an exciting spot in a game into an easy out.

you think a guy like David Ortiz doesn't dumb down the game?

The guy can't play a lick of defense...yet gets paid like an all-star because he can rake.

If you like HR's and hitting, the AL is for you...I agree.

If you like good baseball, sac bunting, smart baserunning, situational managing, etc...the NL is the better league.

When do you ever see double switches in AL baseball?

The DH makes managing a piece of cake.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
(unless your Trey Hillman)

alnorth
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM

I dont agree at all. There is no question at all that the DH dumbs down the game and removes an enormous amount of strategy from the game. I love the Royals, but the DH is one of the worst inventions in all of sport.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I dont agree at all. There is no question at all that the DH dumbs down the game and removes an enormous amount of strategy from the game. I love the Royals, but the DH is one of the worst inventions in all of sport.Of course, not having one of our pitchers on the DL due to a hamstring issue sustained while running to first is a plus.

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Of course, not having one of our pitchers on the DL due to a hamstring issue sustained while running to first is a plus.

don't worry, I witnessed Lou Piniella use Rich Harden as a pinch runner a few games ago...

Yep, Rich Harden.

LMAO

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I will say...

One of my favorite things in baseball is seeing Big Z pinch hit on one of his off days...

It's hysterical...

The dude has 17 career HR's...500+ career at bats...270 lifetime average...1 walk.

dj56dt58
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
don't worry, I witnessed Lou Piniella use Rich Harden as a pinch runner a few games ago...

Yep, Rich Harden.

LMAO

so? Why waste a bench player just to pinch run for the pitcher? Especially knowing he just had to jog around anyways following a GS by Lee

Short Leash Hootie
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
so? Why waste a bench player just to pinch run for the pitcher? Especially knowing he just had to jog around anyways following a GS by Lee

Rich Harden is made of glass.

I know his injury history is predominately shoulder issues...but I still don't want that guy, THE ACE OF THE STAFF, in any position to get injured.

I think Lou is an amazing manager...I know he plays for today and doesn't worry about tomorrow (even though he's thrown up the white flag against Lincecum today and the game hasn't even started)...I just don't use an injury prone ace pitcher as a pinch runner.

tomahawk kid
05-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Your last paragraph is the definition of being a "fan".

You take the good with the bad, and they're always your team no matter how bad it gets.

Doesn't mean you can't b!tch, complain or get angry - but you don't abandon.

You hold on through the sh!tty times for times like this - and then you can say, "I was here all along."

Bandwagon fans suck, and are generally considered the lowest form of life in sports.

WilliamTheIrish
05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I like the DH. I like the NL too.

But anything that keeps LaRussa from overmanaging a 2:20 minute game into 5:40 minute snoozerama is a great thing.

ChiefaRoo
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Your last paragraph is the definition of being a "fan".

You take the good with the bad, and they're always your team no matter how bad it gets.

Doesn't mean you can't b!tch, complain or get angry - but you don't abandon.

You hold on through the sh!tty times for times like this - and then you can say, "I was here all along."

Bandwagon fans suck, and are generally considered the lowest form of life in sports.

That's the kind of thinking that leads to lowered expectations from the fans and a bad product from the ownership. In the end it's all business. Supporting the team financially even when they didn't care by putting a garbage product on the diamond was just dumb. Next thing you'll be saying is KC should trade Greinke before he signs with a good club and KC gets nothing. If you think like that then what's the point of caring to begin with?

SPATCH
05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
That's the kind of thinking that leads to lowered expectations from the fans and a bad product from the ownership. In the end it's all business. Supporting the team financially even when they didn't care by putting a garbage product on the diamond was just dumb. Next thing you'll be saying is KC should trade Greinke before he signs with a good club and KC gets nothing. If you think like that then what's the point of caring to begin with?

that's pussy shit....

u pick a team and you stick with them... it's that simple... and i will hear nothing else

ChiefaRoo
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
that's pussy shit....

u pick a team and you stick with them... it's that simple... and i will hear nothing else

simplistic.

Mr. Krab
05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Why do people keep bumping these old Royals threads at the same time that a current game thread is going?