PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs trying to decide whether to cancel my sunday ticket

bulldogg
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I need some help from you fellas,

After 14 years of getting the Sunday ticket ( and consequently dealing with no local channels on direct tv for years, paying more for HD games..etc>>>) I am actually thinking of canceling. I usually have this conversation with myself every year; I then sell myself on the chance, no matter how remote, that this could be the year. I am having more doubts than normal this year; it seems a exercise in futility to pay money to get my heart wrenched out every week. I would hate to loose touch with who is the third stringer that came in the fourth quarter to block for LJ( just using as an example, not necessarily a LJ fan), but I really am considering not spending the four bills this year.

I live in Orange County CA so finding a KC bar is really not an option, though there are a few that have the ticket around me that I could be the lone KC fan.

Can I get a consensus? What are the pros and cons of this move? Any comments.
Thanks Bill

Deberg_1990
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Realistically, the Chiefs wont even sniff the playoffs this year.

I would save your pennies for another year or two, but thats just me.

seclark
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
had sunday ticket one year. the wife bought it for me for Christmas or something. after the second week, we fought every sunday. she wanted me to go to her mothers, or to a show, or work in the f@cking yard, etc.

i decided, piss on it. so i usually just take a radio w/headset out to my deer blind in the woods, drink beer and listen to lenny say, "what did i just say about protecting the quarterback?" 15 times a game.

i'm at peace w/nature and whatnot.

sec

The Bad Guy
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I would never ever do without Sunday Ticket. Ever.

So you paid your money to watch Herm's Chiefs, but do not want to watch the new regime?

Makes sense.

shakesthecat
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Sunday Ticket.....proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy.

chiefforlife
I live in Colorado and havent missed a single game since Sunday Ticket came out. I think its worth every penny. NO WAY would I cancel it. There are other ways to save money.

tomahawk kid
I cancelled it for one year and missed it greatly.

I have called and threatened it in the past, in order to get SuperFan thrown in for free.

EyePod
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Stream the games. THis is what I do every weekend. It's gotten pretty reliable too, especially if you have a good internet connection.

Frazod
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
It's ridiculously overpriced, the games are far too laden with commercials, and the unholy alliance between the NFL and DTV is a blight upon us all, but the bottom line is I've invested too much in my big ass TV and HD setup to dump Sunday Ticket and be forced to watch my game on a the little TV in the corner of the bar that has no sound on because all the locals are watching the Bears on the main screen. Been there, done that, and it sucks ass.

They've got me. And they know it. And as long as I can afford it, they'll get my money. Doesn't stop me from hoping they all burn in hell, though.

DaFace
05-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm facing the same question myself. I just got DTV, so now I'm debating whether to do the Ticket this year. I think I'll post a poll!

Coogs
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Me. I'd pay for it if I couldn't get Chiefs games. Plus you get the bonus of getting to watch what games you want to watch as opposed to what games the local network forces you to watch if now Chiefs game is on.

I had to pay for it only 1 year. Where I lived, it was either pay for it, or watch Bronco's games. Since then I have lived where Chiefs games are shown by the local stations.

I tried to rationalize the cost of it by thinking if I and my wife went to a game at Arrowhead, the cost of two tickets, parking, consessions, gas to-and-fro for 1 game would about equal the cost of Sunday ticket to get all 16 games.

CaliforniaChief
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Canceling the ticket now, after all these years of subscribing, would be like selling your stocks right after a crash. Sure, this year might not be a big year for wins, but it's the beginning of a new era and I for one don't want to miss it. Now, if there are economic hardships that's one thing. I had to forgo it last year for that reason. But if it's just a football thing, ya gotta stick with it.

kcfanintitanhell
05-05-2009, 11:04 AM
In east Tennessee the only time I've ever been able to watch the Chiefs on local TV is when they play the Titans. So we got the Ticket first time 3 years ago. The next year we decided to forgo it and watch at a local sports bar-I was a friend of the owner, and he made sure that we were able to watch the game, even if we were two of the only three Chiefs fans in the entire area.
Turns out we spent about twice as much over the course of the season than if we'd just bought Sunday Ticket.

wazu
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Just move to KC, it's cheaper.

Gdaddy
05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I would NEVER cancel my Sunday ticket. I live in Jersey and am a die-hard Chiefs fan. To me you are not a real fan if you cancel. We ride with the good and the bad. If anything you should keep it to watch the new regime work. Its the NFL, anything can happen and anyone can win each and every Sunday. Hell its almost un-patriotic of you to cancel and not support your team. Also we are two months away from training camp, we have plenty of cap room and a crafty GM who could make moves. Totally different team, totally different attitude. Keep the package and support your team.
I am excited as hell to watch them this year, more excited not to see Herm on the sidelines or CP in his black leather jacket on in the middle of 100 degree heat.

I also think you want to watch Cassel develop into a real Franchise QB.
Lastly, didnt your Mom teach you never to be a quitter?

Bugeater
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Fuck DirecTv. That is all.

The Rick
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Stream the games. THis is what I do every weekend. It's gotten pretty reliable too, especially if you have a good internet connection.
How do you stream the games?

Donger
05-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm facing the same question myself. I just got DTV, so now I'm debating whether to do the Ticket this year. I think I'll post a poll!

I think you should, and I also think that you should accidentally stream all of the games, too.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Internet stream, or go to the sports bar. No need to pay the four bills until next season or after most likely.

DaFace
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I think you should, and I also think that you should accidentally stream all of the games, too.

Heh...that was WAY too much effort. Though, to an extent, I owe a lot of my status on this site to my game streaming. That "put me on the map" so to speak.

DaFace
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
And speaking of maps....

Hootie
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
I wish they would let me buy NFL.TV (like MLB.TV)...I shit you not, I'd pay at least $30 a month...maybe more.

DTV is just not a logical cable choice for me...if I could buy the package for anything else, computer included, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

wickett
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Internet stream, or go to the sports bar. No need to pay the four bills until next season or after most likely.

I gave up on DTV a couple of years ago when the prices kept going up every year. Between streaming the games, going to a sports bar, and listening to the game on Sirius (in a pinch), I didn't miss much. The streams were pretty consistent last year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I gave up on DTV a couple of years ago when the prices kept going up every year. Between streaming the games, going to a sports bar, and listening to the game on Sirius (in a pinch), I didn't miss much. The streams were pretty consistent last year.

Hell, going to the bar is more fun anyway. We've got the local Card fans, but we've also got contingents from all over the NFL too.

05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
No way in hell I would pay for Sunday Ticket. But you knew that. heh

CoMoChief
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Too much $$$ no thanks......Ill go to a bar and watch it for free.

The Rick
05-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Where are you guys accessing the Internet streams?!?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Where are you guys accessing the Internet streams?!?

Asia, mostly.

rtmike
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been getting it since '97. I don't know when it started but it's gotta be around that time.

I'm always excited for that first game to see the defense. Lately after about 3-4 games I always say we're not renewing but I have that glimmer of hope that will ensure another year of Sunday Ticket.

TEX
05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I need some help from you fellas,

After 14 years of getting the Sunday ticket ( and consequently dealing with no local channels on direct tv for years, paying more for HD games..etc>>>) I am actually thinking of canceling. I usually have this conversation with myself every year; I then sell myself on the chance, no matter how remote, that this could be the year. I am having more doubts than normal this year; it seems a exercise in futility to pay money to get my heart wrenched out every week. I would hate to loose touch with who is the third stringer that came in the fourth quarter to block for LJ( just using as an example, not necessarily a LJ fan), but I really am considering not spending the four bills this year.

I live in Orange County CA so finding a KC bar is really not an option, though there are a few that have the ticket around me that I could be the lone KC fan.

Can I get a consensus? What are the pros and cons of this move? Any comments.
Thanks Bill

I was where you are last year and cancelled it. I don't miss it a bit (probably because the Chiefs sucked). I just go to the local sports bar and watch any game I want. No big deal.

bogey
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I LOVE SUNDAY TICKET. My wife would like me to cancel, there is no way I would cancel Sunday ticket.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I was where you are last year and cancelled it. I don't miss it a bit (probably because the Chiefs sucked). I just go to the local sports bar and watch any game I want. No big deal.

And besides, it's not like the Texans fans can flip you too much shit anyway, right? :D

Frazod
05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I LOVE SUNDAY TICKET. My wife would like me to cancel, there is no way I would cancel Sunday ticket.

In that regard, I'm lucky - the wife is as adamant over keeping MLB Extra Innings as I am over keeping Sunday Ticket, so she doesn't give me any grief over it.

bogey
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
In that regard, I'm lucky - the wife is as adamant over keeping MLB Extra Innings as I am over keeping Sunday Ticket, so she doesn't give me any grief over it.

Beautiful. To be honest, my wife hasn't given me any shit for a long time because she knows I'm not giving it up.

The Rick
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I've been considering getting a Slingbox and installing it at my mom and dad's house. I'm really interested in hearing more about how you guys are streaming the games online though...

Nzoner
05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd seriously consider dropping it if the Chiefs were my only reason for watching but being an avid fantasy player I look at it,as well as all 7 tv's I have the ticket on as an investment in my hobby that hopefully I win enough cash back on each season to pay for it all.

TRR
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I have the NFL Sunday Ticket on stand-alone. I got it this way many, many years ago and have never given it up since. I received a letter a long time ago that stated I MUST go with a package to keep the Sunday Ticket. However, a lawsuit against Direct TV allowed me to keep it. Furthermore, if I ever cancel, I will have to go with a package, and I definitely don't want that.

A friend of mine works for Dish Network, and when the contract for Sunday Ticket came up, he told me that they placed a bid for it. Obviously Direct TV prevailed, however they are losing their rear-end on it, thus the price raise every single season.

I have thought about the idea of canceling the stand-alone Sunday Ticket as well. But...it is just to good to give up!

Fritz88
05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Realistically, the Chiefs wont even sniff the playoffs this year.

I would save your pennies for another year or two, but thats just me.

Our division sucks donkey anus. I think we could have a shot. Just sayin'

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Our division sucks donkey anus. I think we could have a shot. Just sayin'

ROFL I hope we don't suck Donkey Anus, as that puts our lips in a westerly direction.

kcxiv
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I live in california, i am keeping Sunday Ticket. My other option would be be to watch all the Raider games or pay a few bucks and watch the Chiefs games. Easy choice.

djrcmay
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
What does that have to do with us!

kcxiv
05-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Absolutely nothing, but i am getting Sunday Ticket to watch the games and i enjoy good football games. So if i see New England/Miami in a 21-21 game going into the 4th, you can bet your ass i will be watching that game. Granted the Chiefs arent playing, but even so, picture in picture. lol

DaFace
05-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I've been considering getting a Slingbox and installing it at my mom and dad's house. I'm really interested in hearing more about how you guys are streaming the games online though...
Thats what I've done in the past. The quality isn't great but its more than adequate. The only problem I have is that my parents have Vonage so I have to cap the quality to keep from messing up their phones. The online streams usually pop up here around game time. They are OK but are generally too choppy for my taste.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravedigger
05-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah the only reason I ever would, or ever, wanted Sunday Ticket was when I lived in Pennsylvania and I couldn't see Chiefs games without it.

Garcia Bronco
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
cancel it. It might be the biggest waste of money.

KCrockaholic
05-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I live in Colorado and havent missed a single game since Sunday Ticket came out. I think its worth every penny. NO WAY would I cancel it. There are other ways to save money.

Same here... But the 300 bucks is ridiculous. I would love to get sunday ticket this year, and I would if they would just knock about 100 off that tab. Like the new guy said...There are bars around here that have it, but it would be hard to go to the bar each gameday. I cant miss a Chiefs game, period. But there has to be a way to lower the price or something.

KCrockaholic
05-06-2009, 08:43 AM
cancel it. It might be the biggest waste of money.

If you lived, in say... Illinois, where you couldnt see your precious little Donkeys each week, wouldnt you want Sunday Ticket to see them play? Or would you not care, and never see them.

rockymtnchief
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I've had it since the first year it came out and love it. If I didn't have it I'd be stuck watching nothing but Broncos games.

Skip Towne
05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Same here... But the 300 bucks is ridiculous. I would love to get sunday ticket this year, and I would if they would just knock about 100 off that tab. Like the new guy said...There are bars around here that have it, but it would be hard to go to the bar each gameday. I cant miss a Chiefs game, period. But there has to be a way to lower the price or something.

It would be great if they had a package of only Chiefs games. I don't care about most of the other games.

bulldogg
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I am still on the fence, but am going to try calling to lower my superfan rate; thanks for the tip. I agree that I would be stuck with all Raider fans(go figure southern CA loses the raiders yet all the thugs stay fans) Steelers, or whatever the dominate team is this year,plus would probably eat and drink the cost at a bar.

KC native
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Luckily for me, one of my good friends from HS moved down to TX and manages a restaraunt/brewery and since he is a die hard Chiefs fan too I get to watch every game that's not on as the same time as the cowboys (bc some local radio station made it their official watching spot last yr). IF the girls are on at the same time as the Chiefs I just go to the local fox and the hound which usually has a few other Chiefs fans.

So, eventhough I have Direct TV the wifey gave direct ticket a no no because she hates when I watch the Chiefs bc of all the yelling and cursing.

Garcia Bronco
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
If you lived, in say... Illinois, where you couldnt see your precious little Donkeys each week, wouldnt you want Sunday Ticket to see them play? Or would you not care, and never see them.

I would just stream the game for the weeks they weren't on local TV or go to a bar with the game. It's just as cheap some years.