PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Inside Patriots War Room

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 11:22 AM
The Patriots home page has a video that includes some footage from inside the Patriots War Room on draft day. While it's not the Chiefs, I think it's a pretty cool inside look and any fan might be interested. A few interesting things to note:

1. Jonathan Kraft is looking at some kind of draft value chart.

2. Patriots had "four trades" going before they finally moved out of the #23 pick. Apparently, the Steelers were in play also.

3. Belichick telling "Ozzie", presumably Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens, that he didn't have time to screw around.

4. Patriots apparently (obviously from the trades they made) felt that the value was in the 2-3 rounds in this draft.

http://www.patriots.com/homepage/

The video you want is the middle/right of the screen, the one called "Patriots All Access - 5/1/09"

Once you click on that, the picture above it turns to Patrick Chuck. Click the > button, and wait 30 seconds or so for it to load. After a few introductory remarks, they go right into the war room.

Buck
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
From a thread on the Chargers.com website supposedly they wanted to pick Larry English w/ the #23 pick.

Is this evident in the video or not?

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
In case anyone cares:

1. everyone can identify BB on sight I assume.

2. To BB's left (your right as you're looking at the video), the young guy in glasses is Nick Casserio, who replaced Pioli.

3. The guy with the blue shirt and white collar is Bob Kraft, Patriots owner.

4. The guy to Bob Kraft's right, with glasses and the balding dome, is his son, Jonathan Kraft. He's the guy that is fiddling with his glasses at one point while reviewing the value chart.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
From a thread on the Chargers.com website supposedly they wanted to pick Larry English w/ the #23 pick.

Not evident on the video. All that's evident is that we're moving back with trade potentials with New Orleans, Ravens and Steelers. BB mentions that he has "four" trades going, however, the 4th team is unclear.

The talk aroudn Patriots chat rooms, etc. is that BB didn't like the first round value and wanted to get out of the round altogether. They may have liked English enough to take him at 23 if he was there and bolted out of the round once he was gone, but there's nothing concrete on that.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
BB calls that drooling loony "Mr. Davis."

BB was once interviewed by Davis back in the early/mid 90s.

knowmo3
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
why would anyone here care about the Cheatriots?

nstygma
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
why would anyone here care about the Cheatriots?So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will fight without danger in battles.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
If it were just after 9/11 again calling a draft room a war room would be considered in bad taste. I remember many of the talking heads saying how references like calling a football field a "battle field" and "it's gonna be a real battle out there" and "it's a war of two great teams" were disrespectful to people who were losing their lives in the real world. But we seem to "forget" and start up again.

NOT trying to get pissy or political... that thought just strikes me every time I hear those references. Just sayin.

RUSH
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
That was so awesome. I'm surprised BB would let the cameras in there. Good post.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
That was so awesome. I'm surprised BB would let the cameras in there. Good post.

I'm also a bit surprised, and also thought it was awesome. I think this is one of those instances where the Pats marketing department, with Kraft's backing, overruled him.

I'm sure he got final ok on exactly what was in it, as long as it didn't give away anything, etc.

CoMoChief
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
NOT trying to get pissy or political

Yes you are. I hate liars.

Fat Elvis
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM

He has a big ego. He wanted to show the world it was him and not Pioli responsible for the Pats success. That's my bet anyway....

morphius
05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
BB calls that drooling loony "Mr. Davis."

BB was once interviewed by Davis back in the early/mid 90s.
Well, I'm sure if you want to get anything done with that grease ball you have to show him respect, no matter what your true feelings of the man are.

Dicky McElephant
05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
That was some great insight into what goes on in the draft room. It'd be a pain in the ass to try and keep 4 trades straight at one time.

CupidStunt
05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Really fascinating. Shame KCChiefs.com pales in comparison. Not even in the same league. Sucks.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Actually, I just saw somethign that reminded me of something I read a week or so ago. It seems that BB really does NOT like OLBs who are less than 6'4" unless he's really got confidence that they can do the job, like Adalius Thomas.

That seems to be part of why the Pats rarely draft OLBs, and why they probably weren't THAT hyped up on Larry English, who is "only" 6'2". Apparently the thinking is that if they're going up agaisnt 6'5"+ 300+ behemoths at offensive tackle, they better be able to see what is gong on and have the arm length to handle them, or they're just going to get swallowed up.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
He has a big ego. He wanted to show the world it was him and not Pioli responsible for the Pats success. That's my bet anyway....

Actually, everything I've ever read about BB points the other way. Not much ego at all.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
That was some great insight into what goes on in the draft room. It'd be a pain in the ass to try and keep 4 trades straight at one time.

I think that's true, which is why he was telling Ozzie Newsome to stop wasting his time.

When BB is saying "there isn't anybody, there's nobody...." I think he was referring to what players the Pats were interested in at the 23/26 spot. I think he's saying that he's not interested in any particular player up there.

Amnorix
05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Really fascinating. Shame KCChiefs.com pales in comparison. Not even in the same league. Sucks.

Pats website rules. Mike Reiss (Boston Globe reporter) rules. Miguel (PatsFan capologist) rules.

http://www.patscap.com/

Pats fans have it great!

B_Ambuehl
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Actually, I just saw somethign that reminded me of something I read a week or so ago. It seems that BB really does NOT like OLBs who are less than 6'4" unless he's really got confidence that they can do the job, like Adalius Thomas.

That seems to be part of why the Pats rarely draft OLBs, and why they probably weren't THAT hyped up on Larry English, who is "only" 6'2". Apparently the thinking is that if they're going up agaisnt 6'5"+ 300+ behemoths at offensive tackle, they better be able to see what is gong on and have the arm length to handle them, or they're just going to get swallowed up.

That sounds like something Parcells would say. It's a good thing Dick LeBeau didn't go to the Bill Belichick school of what a 3-4 OLB should look like. Belichik is a great defensive mind, but Pittsburgh always seems to find real studs at the position.

MoreLemonPledge
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
You can't fight in here! This is the war room!

acesn8s
05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Pats website rules. Mike Reiss (Boston Globe reporter) rules. Miguel (PatsFan capologist) rules.

http://www.patscap.com/

Pats fans have it great!Of course they have it great. They won't give me access to patriotsplanet. :cuss:

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
why does kcchiefs.com suck so much? seriously.

Brock
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
That sounds like something Parcells would say. It's a good thing Dick LeBeau didn't go to the Bill Belichick school of what a 3-4 OLB should look like. Belichik is a great defensive mind, but Pittsburgh always seems to find real studs at the position.

Yeah, Belichick doesn't know anything at all about linebackers. :rolleyes:

CoMoChief
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Belichick doesn't know anything at all about linebackers. :rolleyes:

To most people in CLE, he doesn't. I'm not really debating your argument, just putting it out there that BB wasn't always this coaching genious that everyone makes him out to be.

Delano
05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
why does kcchiefs.com suck so much? seriously.

Cheer up there, L.A.Chieffan. What's the matter? No shiatsu this morning?
</pre>

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Cheer up there, L.A.Chieffan. What's the matter? No shiatsu this morning?
</pre>

i think i need a lithium or a diet coke or something

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes you are. I hate liars.

I hate morons so congrats on making it in life.

Brock
05-05-2009, 05:05 PM
To most people in CLE, he doesn't. I'm not really debating your argument, just putting it out there that BB wasn't always this coaching genious that everyone makes him out to be.

Who cares what people in Cleveland think about him? Or anything else for that matter.

Simply Red
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will fight without danger in battles.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
hazeus?