PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet An idea about ChiefsPlanet history

DaFace
05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I keep trying to find some way to document the history of the Planet. I have no idea if this is typical of message boards on the 'net, but it seems like there are a lot of really good stories about how the Planet got to where it is today. Stories about the Star board, American Hero, Mr. Blond, and others come to mind.

Ideally, it would be cool to have some sort of wiki to hold this type of thing. However, even that has its issues when it comes to moderation. I still haven't found anything that is perfect, but here's my latest idea.

We create a new forum called the "History Book" or something along that line. Threads in that forum are specifically meant to tell some story about ChiefsPlanet history. For example, the thread might be titled "Gaz" and would contain a narrative of who Gaz was, why it's an option on polls, etc. The thread starter would do his or her best at explaining the topic, then others would chime in through the thread to add their take. The thread starter would also be responsible for editing the OP with any new and exciting information that should be included front-and-center.

Something like that. What think you?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Would it help save draftplanet?

DaFace
For what it's worth, this was spawned by a number of suggestions about how to remember Logical. Naming an entire forum after him seems like a bit much, but it would seem appropriate for there to be a thread in the History forum discussing him and what he meant to the board.

Simplex3
Did you just ask what people who post on here are *thinking*?

DaFace
05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Would it help save draftplanet?

Unlikely. This wouldn't be at the top of the Lounge or anything. It would be accessible from the main page like the Hall of Classics.

Delano
05-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Sounds awesome.

I've toyed around with the idea to start a thread where each poster would write a tiny history of the board member of the previous post. It would most likely end up with very few posts or into a unintended hate-fest/joke-fest.

jiveturkey
05-06-2009, 08:37 AM
A Planet Wiki?

Katipan
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

luv
05-06-2009, 08:42 AM
For what it's worth, this was spawned by a number of suggestions about how to remember Logical. Naming an entire forum after him seems like a bit much, but it would seem appropriate for there to be a thread in the History forum discussing him and what he meant to the board.

I tried to start a thread that people could post in that we could eventually put in the HOC, but it didn't really take off.

DaFace
05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I tried to start a thread that people could post in that we could eventually put in the HOC, but it didn't really take off.

Yeah, it's a little different though. The HOC is really designed for exceptionally funny/crazy threads. I doubt many of the threads in a forum like this would be all that funny - more just explanations for n00bs.

I added a poll since no one wants to comment. Lazy bastards.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I doubt many of the threads in a forum like this would be all that funny ...

LOL Is this your first day?

luv
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it's a little different though. The HOC is really designed for exceptionally funny/crazy threads. I doubt many of the threads in a forum like this would be all that funny - more just explanations for n00bs.

I added a poll since no one wants to comment. Lazy bastards.

Well, just so I can't be called a lazy bastard, I'd better go ahead and say I think it's a good idea. :)

Buck
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
The last thing this place needs is another subforum.

/DaFace

Skip Towne
05-06-2009, 09:11 AM
The last thing this place needs is another subforum.

/DaFace

We don't need no museums either.

Dave Lane
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

Be quiet you don't matter here anyway. No one is going to remember you and your foibles anyway...

Dave Lane
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh and awesome

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Unlikely. This wouldn't be at the top of the Lounge or anything. It would be accessible from the main page like the Hall of Classics.

LMAO Somebody was gonna say it. Figured it may as well be me.

jiveturkey
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
We don't need no museums either.Says the relic.

Bob Dole
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
You forgot the Gaz option in the poll for a thread that mentions explaining the Gaz option.

DaFace
05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
You forgot the Gaz option in the poll for a thread that mentions explaining the Gaz option.

Epic fail. :sulk:

dirk digler
05-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Can Wiki's be lockdown and only certain people can edit them?

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Great

Maybe instead of having a "Gochiefs/Claythan/Darth Farqwad/etc" thread..maybe just create one thread called "Attention Whores 101"

then maybe the first post being:

Top Things To Never Say To An Attention Whore...
#1 "Hi"
#2 "You work at WPI too?"

Crush
05-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I love this idea. That is all.

DaFace
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Can Wiki's be lockdown and only certain people can edit them?

If we installed a full wiki, it could. But that would be a stand-alone product that has a very different look and feel from ChiefsPlanet. Unfortunately, this approach would only let the thread starters or mods edit the original post.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
www.chiefsplanethistory.com

dirk digler
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
If we installed a full wiki, it could. But that would be a stand-alone product that has a very different look and feel from ChiefsPlanet. Unfortunately, this approach would only let the thread starters or mods edit the original post.

Ok. I didn't know if there were some mods or hacks for vbulletin.

FAX
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I think it's a good idea, Mr. DaFace. I'd make one minor change, though.

Instead of a ChiefsPlanet "History", I think it should be a ChiefsPlanet "Future" where Planeteers could write threads and posts and stuff about what will happen in the future on ChiefsPlanet. That way, if any N00bs (sp?) come along, they can read all about ChiefsPlanet future and decide if they want to register or not. Who knows? Maybe in ChiefsPlanet future, that N00b (sp?) gets banned for life or neg-repped to hell and gone.

FAX

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Instead of a ChiefsPlanet "History", I think it should be a ChiefsPlanet "Future" where Planeteers could write threads and posts and stuff about what will happen in the future on ChiefsPlanet. That way, if any N00bs (sp?) come along, they can read all about ChiefsPlanet future and decide if they want to register or not. Who knows? Maybe in ChiefsPlanet future, that N00b (sp?) gets banned for life or neg-repped to hell and gone.

FAX

or perhaps titled "Chiefsplanet: Self-Actualization"

Iowanian
05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I had a similar idea once....and think its a great idea.

I'm thinking of a short narative about a historical item of note, with a link to a relevant thread(s).

This contains many of your planet history items
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181631

Rain Man
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM

FAX

May 10, 2009. Prayer thread for FAX reaches 1,000 posts as he attempts to recover from brutal beating by crazed runaway bonobo.

Sometimes it's best not to know.

BigRedChief
05-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Epic fail. :sulk:
And you call yourself a mod and potential historian?:rolleyes:

JOhn
05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I love this idea. That is all.

This

Rooster
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Meh.. :D

ziggysocki
05-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Having registered last year, it would be great for me to be able to have a historical reference. Mr. Blonde - in jail I think? Gaz - not sure what the Gaz poll option is all about (but it definitely makes this place unique) Star Board - Maybe where The Planet creators came from? Downside is - you oldtimers (Not you specifically Skip) lose some of your inside jokes to a bunch of noobs (myself included)

JOhn
05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Having registered last year, it would be great for me to be able to have a historical reference. Mr. Blonde - in jail I think? Gaz - not sure what the Gaz poll option is all about (but it definitely makes this place unique) Star Board - Maybe where The Planet creators came from? Downside is - you oldtimers (Not you specifically Skip) lose some of your inside jokes to a bunch of noobs (myself included)

Yes I admit It's a Combover

DaFace
05-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I had a similar idea once....and think its a great idea.

I'm thinking of a short narative about a historical item of note, with a link to a relevant thread(s).

This contains many of your planet history items
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181631

I was hoping you'd chime in. Your thread(s) have been one of the best examples of the info that could go in there.

I just remembered that I can assign mods to the forum that could edit posts if need be, so perhaps the way to go is to have a handful (maybe 3-4) moderators in the forum that could edit OP's to make sure they're kept up. Interested parties can nominate themselves in this thread. But realize that you won't have banning powers or anything like that - just the ability to edit posts in that forum.

ziggysocki
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I was hoping you'd chime in. Your thread(s) have been one of the best examples of the info that could go in there.

I just remembered that I can assign mods to the forum that could edit posts if need be, so perhaps the way to go is to have a handful (maybe 3-4) moderators in the forum that could edit OP's to make sure they're kept up. Interested parties can nominate themselves in this thread. But realize that you won't have banning powers or anything like that - just the ability to edit posts in that forum.

And don't forget, "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Dartgod
05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes I admit It's a Combover
I never understood the meaning/origin of that phrase. I must have been away when it happened.

JOhn
05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I never understood the meaning/origin of that phrase. I must have been away when it happened.

Something Phobia did to my posts, when I went on an epic postwhore binder

you'll have to wait for the book

Hydrae
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

you'll have to wait for the book

Interesting, I thought it was something to do with noswad. Someone who used comma's in bulk to seperate thoughts...instead of periods.

Otter
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
While I'm uncertain of what role I would play (if any) I would certainly follow with great interest.

:grr: lack of Gaz option in poll :mad:

Stinger
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting, I thought it was something to do with noswad. Someone who used comma's in bulk to seperate thoughts...instead of periods.

If I remember correctly that was Chiefs4Me not Noswad.

mlyonsd
05-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I like the idea.

I don't suppose the Forum advanced search options could be changed to look for posts on a specific day of the year, ie. May 10.

The new forum could have a this day in CP history thread if the data could be mined right. It might give those that like to tinker and look back the opportunity to come up with some funny stuff.

Boon
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Will it bring back tags?

crazycoffey
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
mixed feelings, I like your idea better than a wiki page, but I also like the conversations like in Iowanians threads

DaKCMan AP
05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

It's vital for you n00bs to quickly learn the Awesomeness that is DaKCMan AP. Now, it's true that you n00bs will eventually learn of this truth but if we can accelerate the process it strives to make the Planet a better place.

88TG88
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Will it bring back tags?

this

crazycoffey
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
It's vital for you n00bs to quickly learn the Awesomeness that is DaKCMan AP. Now, it's true that you n00bs will eventually learn of this truth but if we can accelerate the process it strives to make the Planet a better place.

yeah! Wait, who are you again?

FAX
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I can't believe you peeps are seriously considering this. The past is just that; the past. Gone. Forgotten. Over. El Done-o. The future is where it's at. That's where all the action is. Robot women. Flying cars. Laser powered bowling balls.

Think of all the cool future threads we could put in there.

FAX

DaKCMan AP
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't believe you peeps are seriously considering this. The past is just that; the past. Gone. Forgotten. Over. El Done-o. The future is where it's at. That's where all the action is. Robot women. Flying cars. Laser powered bowling balls.

Think of all the cool future threads we could put in there.

FAX

The future sounds Awesome. Therefore, I conclude that DaKCMan AP is the future.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
That would also work well with the ChiefsPlanet Lexicon. A one-stop shop for being able to translate ChiefPlanet-speak, especially around the draft.

Russ would be proud.

Phobia
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
This is dumb. Why can't stupid n00bs just go back and read every thread since Aug 2000?

Boon
05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
This is dumb. Why can't stupid n00bs just go back and read every thread since Aug 2000?

Cliff notes???

Phobia
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Cliff notes???

Chiefs suck
Fire Carl
Fire Dick
Fire Carl
Fire Herm
Repost
Antifreeze
Your and idiot!
Fire Scott

KCFalcon59
05-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Chiefs suck
Fire Carl
Fire Dick
Fire Carl
Fire Herm
Repost
Antifreeze
Your and idiot!
Fire Scott

You forgot "Ban Denise"

DaKCMan AP
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Chiefs suck
Fire Carl
Fire Goonther
Corey Dillon!
Fire GRob
It's Hugh time Woman!
Fire Dick
Fire Carl
Ty Law!
Ty Law sucks baows
Fire Herm
Repost
Antifreeze
Your and idiot!
DaKCMan AP is Awesome!
Fire Scott

FYP

Spott
05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Defense wins championships.

alanm
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
8-19-2000 the Mayflower from the Star began. The tired and poor were lining the rails. 8-20-2000 alanm landed on deck. The rest as they say is history. :D

mlyonsd
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
8-19-2000 the Mayflower from the Star began. The tired and poor were lining the rails. 8-20-2000 alanm landed on deck. The rest as they say is history. :D

Heh, you and I landed on the deck at the same time.

Hydrae
05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
If I remember correctly that was Chiefs4Me not Noswad.

Why, I do believe you are correct. Well done and rep your way!

DaFace
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
For what it's worth, the forum is there. I haven't tweaked it much, but if anyone is in the mood to start writing up topics, go right ahead. I'll try and mess with it a bit more this weekend.

One note - you can't start a topic in there unless you have more than 1,000 posts. I might change that, but it seems like you'd have to have that many posts to really have a good feel for the history of the place.

Anyway, it lives here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=38

kcfanXIII
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM

FAX

or maybe a sex offender sees he's going to be outed, and decides to just keep his mouth shut

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
analleakagewiki.com

J Diddy
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM

better yet you could post the history on fatchatter. They have TONS of server space.

:D

Ultra Peanut
05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Do it to it, Lars!

(tk13 and I will oversee the "Heavyweights references" section, what with us being the only two to ever reference it)

Dartgod
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
so perhaps the way to go is to have a handful (maybe 3-4) moderators in the forum that could edit OP's to make sure they're kept up. Interested parties can nominate themselves in this thread. But realize that you won't have banning powers or anything like that - just the ability to edit posts in that forum.
I'd volunteer for that.

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
YES!!! GO!!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Guru
05-06-2009, 10:58 PM

you'll have to wait for the bookWhat? No movie?

cdcox
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Here's an entry:

The Planet made a great leap forward with the upgrade to VB 3.x. Among the most fantastic and exciting new features was thread tags. The intended purpose of tags was to categorize threads for easy cross referencing. However, tags were quickly corrupted into service as an anonymous subversive public bulletin board. Hilarity and great fun ensued, until DaMan crushed it.

Guru
05-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Here's an entry:

The Planet made a great leap forward with the upgrade to VB 3.x. Among the most fantastic and exciting new features was thread tags. The intended purpose of tags was to categorize threads for easy cross referencing. However, tags were quickly corrupted into service as an anonymous subversive public bulletin board. Hilarity and great fun ensued, until DaMan crushed it.This, that and the other thing.

JOhn
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM

no, I would post "pretty much" and when I did....the combover would magically appear :shrug:

some voodoo shit I guess

JOhn
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM

landed face first ROFL

Fritz88
05-07-2009, 04:12 AM
I still have no idea what's the narrative behind Gaz and antifreeze.

Something outlining the history would be really appreciated.

Thank you Deface for the idea.

Tribal Warfare
05-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Their's so much history about this site with its inception, its achievements, quirks, and tribulations of what is today.