PDA

View Full Version : Royals Seattle Mariners @ Kansas City Royals Game Thread (5/6)

Pages : [1] 2

alnorth
05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
<table border=3 cellpadding = 4>
<tr>
<td>Final</td> <td> 1 </td> <td> 2 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 4 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 6 </td><td> 7 </td><td> 8 </td><td> 9 </td><td> R </td><td> H </td><td> E </td><td> HR </td></tr>
<tr> <td>SEA (15-13)</td> <td> 0 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 9 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td></tr>
<tr> <td>KC (17-11)</td> <td> 3 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 2 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> X </td><td> 9 </td><td> 17 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 1 </td></tr>
</table>

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/sea.gif

Loss, (1-3) Carlos Silva 3IP 6R 6ER 1BB 0K 1HR
Garrett Olson 5IP 3R 2ER 3BB 2K 0HR

VS.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/kan.gif

Win, (1-4) Sidney Ponson 7.1IP 1R 1ER 1BB 1K 0HR
Horacio Ramirez 0.2IP 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR
Kyle Farnsworth 1IP 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR

Home Run Tracker

SEA

none

KC

Teahen - 1 (solo bomb to deep right in the 3rd inning)

Starting Lineups

SEA

1. Ichiro Suzuki, RF
2. Endy Chavez, LF
3. Jose Lopez, 2B
4. Russell Branyan, 1B
5. Adrian Beltre, 3B
6. Ken Griffey Jr, DH
7. Kenji Johjima, C
8. Franklin Gutierrez, CF
9. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS

KC

1. David DeJesus, LF
2. Willie Bloomquist, SS/RF
3. Mark Teahen, 3B
4. Jose Guillen, RF
4. Luis Hernandez, SS
5. Billy Butler, 1B
6. Mike Jacobs, DH
7. Alberto Callaspo, 2B
8. Miguel Olivo, C
8. John Buck, C
9. Mitch Maier, CF

Silock
05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
PONSON SUCKS. BRING ON HO-CHASER.

kstater
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Ponson is due. Otherwise, it's time to consider Hochevar. He can't be any worse.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Welcome everyone to the 2009 Major League Baseball Home Run Derby.

Due to unexpected logistical issues, this event, which was originally scheduled at Busch Stadium during the all-star break, will have to be played tonight in Kansas City. Tonight's game is postponed and will be played later if necessary to determine divisional and wild card winners.

Because we have no All-Stars selected yet, the Royals and Mariners have volunteered to participate for our enjoyment this evening as they try to rake batting practice fastballs from Ponson and Silva.

Nzoner
05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Welcome everyone to the 2009 Major League Baseball Home Run Derby.

Due to unexpected logistical issues, this event, which was originally scheduled at Busch Stadium during the all-star break, will have to be played tonight in Kansas City. Tonight's game is postponed and will be played later if necessary to determine divisional and wild card winners.

Because we have no All-Stars selected yet, the Royals and Mariners have volunteered to participate for our enjoyment this evening as they try to rake batting practice fastballs from Ponson and Silva.

heh,I was just getting ready to post that the fireworks tonight should be better than any Friday night show

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I think this should be Ponson's last shot. Time to call up Hochevar.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Pete: Shut up.

Mr. Krab
05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm glad Ponson didn't pitch against the WhiteSox.

Mr. Krab
05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Just getting that outa the way early?! :spock:

ROFL

KChiefs1
05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Willie Bloomquist faces his former club for the first time in the regular season today. Willie, batting .378 on the season, is second in the lineup and playing shortstop.

Here's the lineup...come out and watch your first place Royals, winners of four straight!

DeJesus - CF
Bloomquist - SS
Teahen - 3B
Guillen - RF
Butler - 1B
Jacobs - DH
Callaspo - 2B
Olivo - C
Maier - LF
Ponson - P

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Kevin K and J Harry are thinking they're gonna call Hochaser up the last week of May ...something about the Royals can keep him for another year. Is that a trade deadline or something?

alnorth
05-06-2009, 06:02 PM
we sure picked a great day to give Coco Crisp a day off. I guess you could make an argument for it if you think we have no chance.

chiefbowe82
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
It looks like seattles pitcher kinda sucks to atleast

Mr. Krab
Kevin K and J Harry are thinking their gonna call Hochaser up the last week of May ...something about the Royals can keep him for another year. Is that a trade deadline or something?
It's something about his years served and when he's available for arbitration. I guess on after the 23rd the Royals get another full season before he comes up for free agency etc.

chiefbowe82
we sure picked a great day to give Coco Crisp a day off. I guess you could make an argument for it if you think we have no chance.

I expect to win

Mr. Krab
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I missed my Coco. :sulk:

alnorth
Kevin K and J Harry are thinking they're gonna call Hochaser up the last week of May ...something about the Royals can keep him for another year. Is that a trade deadline or something?

No, its service time. ie, you have X.XXX years of service and your eligible for free agency. In Hochevar's case, the magic date to make sure we have the extra year (even considering the possibility of him being a "super 2") is around the last week of May.

Archie F. Swin
DeJesus - CF
Bloomquist - SS
Teahen - 3B
Guillen - RF
Butler - 1B
Jacobs - DH
Callaspo - 2B
Olivo - C
Maier - LF
Ponson - P

I'm guessing Hillman doesn't believe in putting your boomstick in the 3 spot? (ie: Callapso or Jacobs)
I'm still trying to figure this skipper out

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM

No, if they keep Hochevar in the minors it will set back his date for eligibility for arbitration. It's a smart move. I don't know all the ins and outs of it, because it's covered in the CBA, and reading that is like me trying to do calculus.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
No, its service time. ie, you have X.XXX years of service and your eligible for free agency. In Hochevar's case, the magic date to make sure we have the extra year (even considering the possibility of him being a "super 2") is around the last week of May.

Ah yes, the Super 2 rule.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Sidney Ponsuck....on a day after we used up nearly our entire bullpen.

IM callin it now....Game Over already.

irishjayhawk
05-06-2009, 06:12 PM

I think it's more rewarding the people who saved his (Hillman's) ass last night.

Mr. Krab
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Free agency and salary arbitration

If a player is drafted and is offered a contract by his drafting team (or any team he is traded to) each year, he may not become a free agent until he has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least six years. Otherwise, any player without a contract may become a free agent and sign with any team.
A player is eligible for salary arbitration if he:

is ineligible for free agency
is without a contract
cannot agree with his current team on a new contract
has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least three years

"Super Two" exception<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#cite_note-2)</sup> - A player with at least two years of experience may be eligible for salary arbitration if he:

Meets the first three requirements from above
Played in the majors for at least 86 days in the previous season
Is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors among others with at least 2 years, but less than 3 years experience

In this process, the player and the team both submit a salary offer for a new contract; the arbitrator chooses one number or the other, whichever is thought to be most "fair" given comparable wages among players with similar ability and service time. Players thus rely on arbitration and free agency to increase their salaries.

Players eligible for neither free agency nor salary arbitration are very seldom offered contracts for much more than the league minimum salary, as the player has no recourse to try to obtain a better salary elsewhere. For this reason, in the first three major league years of their careers, players accept comparatively low salaries even when their performance is stellar. This is an accepted practice; talented, young players are usually content to "pay their dues" in this way and earn a chance to negotiate for more in their fourth year. Occasionally, a team may wish to sign a player in his second or third year to a long-term contract, for which negotiation can take place for a much higher salary.

beavis
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Well at least Silva sucks as bad or worse than Ponson.

chiefbowe82
05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Well at least Silva sucks as bad or worse than Ponson.

easy

KChiefs1
05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
As has been speculated for awhile now, if the Royals stash Hochevar in Omaha for a month or so, they may be able to eek out another year of salary control for Hochevar. Essentially, the Royals, if they time it right, will be able to have two partial seasons of Hochevar for the price of one.

(Cot's lists his current service time standing as 1 year and 17 days. Hochevar's contract is a little different than 99% of Major League players coming out of the draft, as he was getting a larger salary from the beginning. As far as I understand it however, his free-agency clock remains the same as everybody else's.)

alnorth
05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
As has been speculated for awhile now, if the Royals stash Hochevar in Omaha for a month or so, they may be able to eek out another year of salary control for Hochevar. Essentially, the Royals, if they time it right, will be able to have two partial seasons of Hochevar for the price of one.

(Cot's lists his current service time standing as 1 year and 17 days. Hochevar's contract is a little different than 99% of Major League players coming out of the draft, as he was getting a larger salary from the beginning. As far as I understand it however, his free-agency clock remains the same as everybody else's.)

At this point, "a month or so" is about 2 weeks, +/- a few days

KChiefs1
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
PCL: Hochevar is building confidence and résumé
BY ROB WHITE
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

How much, really, is Luke Hochevar getting out of pitching in the Pacific Coast League?

http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/medium/050509jlluke.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:enlargePhoto(408501))

Luke Hochevar was 6-12 with a 5.51 ERA in 22 starts last year with Kansas City.

The Omaha Royals right-hander leads the league in both wins (five) and ERA (1.13) in his undefeated start to the season. Opponents are hitting just .213 against him, and he's allowed only 33 base runners through hits and walks through 32 innings. He's the reigning PCL pitcher of the week.

Is it still helping the 25-year-old to be in Class AAA, or would he be better off taking his third try at major league success in Kansas City?

"I don't look at it like that," Hochevar said. "I'm facing some pretty good hitters. If anything, it's giving me more confidence and you can never have enough of that."

Hochevar, the No. 1 overall pick in 2006 who signed for $3.5 million, takes a 13-inning scoreless streak into his next start, Thursday at Rosenblatt Stadium against the Memphis Redbirds, a team with the PCL's lowest totals in batting average and runs scored.

On paper, it appears to be another mismatch. Could the Kansas City Royals be ready to start getting a reward on their investment?

"He's throwing better than when we sent him back up last time (last year) — a lot better," Omaha manager Mike Jirschele said. "This time he's spending down here is definitely going to help him in the future."

Hochevar was 1-1 with a 2.60 ERA through three starts with Omaha last year before being promoted. In Kansas City he went 6-12 with a 5.51 ERA in 22 starts, losing his final five decisions over six starts before being shut down for the season with a rib stress fracture. Hochevar also pitched 12<SUP>2</SUP>/<SUB>3</SUB> big-league innings in 2007.

"There's no doubt he's got great stuff," Jirschele said. "He's got a great breaking ball, throws a good sinker and he's got a slider to go with it. He's at the point now where it's just a matter of command — keeping the ball down and controlling the strike zone. He's done a much better job so far this year."

With Sidney Ponson struggling in the big-league rotation (0-4, 7.16 ERA in five starts), it would seem the opportunity is there.

"I don't even think like that to tell you the truth," Hochevar said. "That would be wasted energy. I just come to the field every day with a plan of what I want to work on, what I want to get better at that day, and that's all I focus on."

Hochevar said it's all about his daily routine, a consistent pattern of behavior that permeates through workouts, running, throwing sessions . . . even his thought process.

"I know what I need to do in terms of throwing and my routine," Hochevar said. "The last couple of years I was still figuring things out, finding out what worked for me. Now I know and I'm comfortable with it, so I have more confidence. I feel prepared every start."

When he has a bullpen session, as he did Monday, Hochevar knows which pitch he wants to work on and why. Monday's focus: his change-up.

"I haven't thrown it that much and I want to start throwing it more," he said. "It was a good pitch for me in spring training and I've kind of stuck it in my back pocket."

Hochevar said his mechanics have gotten to the point where he no longer has to think about them, and that allows him to simply attack hitters.

"My delivery is where I'm going to get my command and everything is clicking now," he said. "I have a good tempo. My delivery is a lot more repeatable, so I'm able to have more consistent command day in and day out. I've continued to work on it, continued to sharpen it and I just feel like everything has come together this year."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10626408

KCUnited
05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Since Ponson is already inked to throw tonight, I think the smart move would be to keep Hoch down, that way we can get an extra year of service out of him, imo.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM

ROFL

milkman
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Gotta like the way that Hochavar is approaching his stint in Omaha.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
So we bench our best OBP guy on a day when our worst pitcher is pitching?

Hillman never ceases to amaze me at how fucking stupid he is

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
...Hillman never ceases to amaze me at how ****ing stupid he is

Now you know how we feel. You know, when you post.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Now you know how we feel. You know, when you post.

Have I told you to fuck off lately? Just in case I haven't. Fuck off!:cuss:

eazyb81
So we bench our best OBP guy on a day when our worst pitcher is pitching?

Hillman never ceases to amaze me at how ****ing stupid he is

Dude it is a 162 game season. No one plays every single game. Chill.

VonneMarie
Here we go, Ponson, here we go!

alnorth
Top 1st

Suzuki pops out to second
Chavez grounds out to second
Lopez grounds out to second

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 1st

DeJesus doubles to left
Bloomquist singles to center, DeJesus to third
Teahen grounds into a 3-6-3 double play, Bloomquist out at second, DeJesus scores
Guillen hit by pitch
Butler doubles to right, Guillen to third
Jacobs singles to center, Butler and Guillen scores
Callaspo grounds out to first

3 runs, 4 hits

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM

I'd feel better had he been benched when anyone but Ponson was pitching.

KCUnited
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Especially after a 4.5 hour extra inning game and an afternoon start tomorrow.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
So Bloomy at SS and not the kid we brought up?

beavis
Have I told you to **** off lately? Just in case I haven't. **** off!:cuss:

I'm actually feeling a little neglected. I almost think William hates you more than I do.

WilliamTheIrish
I know teams normally worry about pitch counts, but whether Pontoon is on the hill or not, I wonder if the Royals monitor his calorie count. Prolly not.

Out of the first with no damage. I wonder if Hillman offers him a Twinkie?

KCUnited
and 15 without an off day.

KCCHIEFS27
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
If Griffey goes yard this game I am going to throw up. I expect a solid 7 innings from Ponson today.

KCUnited
I know teams normally worry about pitch counts, but whether Pontoon is on the hill or not, I wonder if the Royals monitor his calorie count. Prolly not.

Out of the first with no damage. I wonder if Hillman offers him a Twinkie?
I think its more of a blood/alcohol count.

WilliamTheIrish
I love Pete. It wouldn't be the same here w/o him. I just think it's wise to keep doing what we've been doing.

Pete's "joo-joo", if you will.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
That's why DDJ and I are married.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
LO 2b. On an 0-2 pitch no less...

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm going to propose we temporarily suspend the nic "Bloom & Doom", while Will is on his current streak.

Chiefless
Gotta like the way that Hochavar is approaching his stint in Omaha.

no doubt...he's forcing his way back. Reminds me of Greinke's path back. If Ponson could just not suck this year Hochaver could take HoRam's spot and prove he can dominate in the pen. THEN beat out Ponson. I'd like to see him really earn his way back to the rotation the hard way. But, I'm not sure this team can afford to wait.

alnorth
I've been reading up a bit and apparently Mariners fans like Silva about as much as we are fond of Ponson. They want to win obviously, but if they dont, then they hope Silva gets shelled so that he gets dropped from the rotation.

petegz28
I love Pete. It wouldn't be the same here w/o him. I just think it's wise to keep doing what we've been doing.

Pete's "joo-joo", if you will.

No sense in fucking up what's working.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I've been reading up a bit and apparently Mariners fans like Silva about as much as we are fond of Ponson. They want to win obviously, but if they dont, then they hope Silva gets shelled so that he gets dropped from the rotation.

That's all well and good, but they don't have many other options.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
That's just very hard luck for MT. He hit that on the button.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Go deep Chubby ( I'm talking about Butler, not Ponson)

beer bacon
05-06-2009, 07:22 PM
...How did Guillen not score???

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Did I mention I love Silva? Did I mention I hope he stays in the M's rotation all year?

Chiefless
Even when Teahen plates a run he can't get an RBI. I guess he HAS had some bad luck this year.

KCUnited
Damn this team is sloooowww.

WilliamTheIrish

BAd wheel.

petegz28
If Jose has a sore leg why is he not DHing?

alnorth
so close. We almost took the early 1-0 lead in the home run derby

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Get another good swing Jake...

KCCHIEFS27
05-06-2009, 07:25 PM

He's about as swift as a dog with two legs right now..plus we want to get Jacobs those ribby's.

VonneMarie
Woot!

KCUnited
Get Tejada up.

alnorth
keep pouring it on. We need every run we can muster tonight.

beer bacon
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Damn this team is sloooowww.

Guillen still has a busted leg.

KCCHIEFS27

Because then we'd have to sit Jacobs who absolutely kills right handed pitching right now.

Chiefless
I think we are getting exactly what we could expect from Jacobs. He does not miss many fastballs.

WilliamTheIrish

Today, we may not have to ask that question. So far, even on a sore wheel (and I'm only guessing) we have a 3-0 lead. (Hope Ponson earns another twinkie)

KCUnited
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Guillen still has a busted leg.
I get that, but this team is slooowwww.

Der Flöprer
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
It looks like seattles pitcher kinda sucks to atleast

Silva has done ZERO to earn that 48 million dollar contract he signed 3 years ago. Not even a contract year can motivate his fatass to this point.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
It's great to see the royals jump on a team early. Especially with Ponson on the mound.

Ari Chi3fs
I hope Jose Guillen isn't hurt too bad... it seems like he needs a night off.

kstater
Let's hope staking Ponson a 3 nil lead is enough.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Top 2nd

Branyan flies out to left
Beltre flies out to right
Griffey Jr doubles to right
Johjima grounds out to pitcher

0 runs, 1 hit

Bottom 2nd

Olivo grounds out to shortstop
Maier grounds out to shortstop
DeJesus walks
Bloomquist flies out to right

0 runs, 0 hits

alnorth

heh, thats pretty good

WoodDraw

ROFL

Kraus
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm a little late to the thread... but glad to see we're off to a 3-0 start. Hopefully that'll be a decent buffer for Ponsuck.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
I remember when he came to the plate as young man, then whole stadium came to halt. Kind of like what Pujols does to stadiums today.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Ponson may have earned a Hostess cupcake for that 1/2 inning.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I thought Ponson was pitching tonight? :shrug:

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
If he keeps throwing 8 pitch innings 3 runs WILL be enough.

SnakeXJones
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Silva has done ZERO to earn that 48 million dollar contract he signed 3 years ago. Not even a contract year can motivate his fatass to this point.

I was about to put that lol I thought it was around 44 Mill

KCCHIEFS27
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow, look at Bronson Arroyo's line for tonight. Faced 12 batters. 1.0 IP/7 Hits/9 ER/3 BB/2 HR and was pulled after 46 pitches..now that would be depressing to watch.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, look at Bronson Arroyo's line for tonight. Faced 12 batters. 1.0 IP/7 Hits/9 ER/3 BB/2 HR and was pulled after 46 pitches..now that would be depressing to watch.

That's a pretty tuff night.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
with Silva on the mound, I'll bet Seitzer can nurse the sick bats of Olivo and Aviles back to health.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:39 PM
with Silva on the mound, I'll bet Seitzer can nurse the sick bats of Olivo and Aviles back to health.

I think Avilles' days are numbered

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I thought Ponson was pitching tonight? :shrug:

He'll show up.

WilliamTheIrish
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Avilles' days are numbered

For who? I think if you expose Bloom too much, you run the risk of him being less effective. And it limits Hillman's ability to use Bloom out of position (LF).

That leaves it up to L. Hernandez. Or somebody on the farm. The options aren't the best.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Top 3rd

Gutierrez flies out to right
Betancourt grounds out to third
Suzuki singles to center
Chavez grounds out to second

0 runs, 1 hit

Bottom 3rd

Teahen homers to right
Guillen singles to left
Butler singles to left, Guillen to second
Jacobs singles to left, Butler to second, Guillen to third
Callaspo grounds into a 6-4-3 double play, Jacobs out at second, Butler to third, Guillen scores
Butler scores on a Balk
Olivo flies out to left

3 runs, 4 hits

alnorth
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
He'll show up.

Are we sure thats Ponson? Maybe Meche knocked him out and took his jersey?

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
For who? I think if you expose Bloom too much, you run the risk of him being less effective. And it limits Hillman's ability to use Bloom out of position (LF).

That leaves it up to L. Hernandez. Or somebody on the farm. The options aren't the best.

I think we Gordon comes back we are going to see him at SS eventually. Just a hunch. Gordon has played SS before.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I think we Gordon comes back we are going to see him at SS eventually. Just a hunch. Gordon has played SS before.

Not a chance.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Are we sure thats Ponson? Maybe Meche knocked him out and took his jersey?

I'm telling you guys, he'll show up. His last few starts he started strong then got got shelled. The Royals needs to start gettin' more runs... and soon.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Not a chance.

Don't be so sure. There has been talk of that in the past. The only other option would be to move AC to SS and Teahen to 2nd....(not a good idea)

Kraus
HOME RUN TEAHEN!!!

petegz28
Teahen!!!!

VonneMarie
That's a good start.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Guillen with the seeing-eye single

Kraus
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
WTF is that alarm?

Kraus
05-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Man... I didn't think there was a worse pitcher than Ponson. I was wrong.

kcfanXIII
05-06-2009, 07:55 PM
but mitch isn't available to pinch run for guillen, what are we gonna do?

petegz28
05-06-2009, 07:56 PM
but mitch isn't available to pinch run for guillen, what are we gonna do?

That's why we sat Coco!

Kraus
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Bases loaded.... no outs :D

VonneMarie
Guillen must have a bummed leg or something?

kcfanXIII
That's why we sat Coco!

right i forgot

petegz28
That began as the best Goldberg piece I ever seen....right until they got the sound fixed

alnorth
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
quote from a Mariner fan

Carlos Silva is so terrible he caused a siren to go off

eazyb81
What's going on - are we just getting blooper hits?

Chiefless
loving all these long counts KC's lineup is working

Kraus
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Bases loaded.... no outs :D

... and the double play.

petegz28
I'll take the run but not what we wanted

VonneMarie
Of course we hit into a DP...

VonneMarie
quote from a Mariner fan

LMAO

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:00 PM
There's that BALK call. LMAO

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Balk call sighted!!!!

alnorth
another quote from a Mariner fan before the double play

Give up a Granny here Carlos and accept your demotion to Tacoma

eazyb81
a balk? LOL

petegz28
And thre goes the alarm again!!! LMAO

Kraus
Balk!!!

Chiefless
A freebie

Kraus
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
There you go Ponson... 6 run lead. Don't blow it.

KCCHIEFS27
What the hell was that Carlos? I think he was distracted by either a) a hot dog or b) freshly delivered nachos behind home plate..

WoodDraw
That's all kinds of awful. Did he forget he was pitching halfway through his windup?

Archie F. Swin
And thre goes the alarm again!!! LMAO

Carl Petersen's got to get some attention somehow

baitism
Olivo sucks. I wish we played Buck more.

Blankey
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Man it looked like Silva throwing BP there and Olivo still couldn't rip one

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Top 4th

Lopez grounds out to third
Branyan flies out to left
Beltre strikes out (swinging)

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 4th

Garrett Olson relieves Silva

Maier singles to center
DeJesus singles to right, Maier to second
Bloomquist singles to right, DeJesus to second, Maier out at home 9-2-6-2, Bloomquist to second, DeJesus to third on the throw home *
Teahen singles to center, Bloomquist and DeJesus scores
Guillen flies out to center
Butler singles to left, Teahen to second
Jacobs walks, Butler to second, Teahen to third
Callaspo flies out to right

2 runs, 5 hits

* This play was DeJesus's fault. Maier was stopped at third, but DeJesus came to third, forcing Maier to run into an out

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Silva at 70 pitches through 3. Remember when we used to make pitchers like this look like cy young?

Mr. Arrowhead
05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
man its tough to know, that it can get worse than Ponson

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
There you go Ponson... 6 run lead. Don't blow it.

Someone go break Fransworth's knee!

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
What the hell was that Carlos? I think he was distracted by either a) a hot dog or b) freshly delivered nachos behind home plate..

LMAO

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
cool, that should be just about enough of a cushion for Ponson to finally get a win

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/lgraphs/290506107_Mariners_Royals_126176400_lbig.png

fangraphs has us at 96%

Blankey
05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Greinke doesn't need to clap for Ponson

Chiefless
Nice pitch according to GameCast

Kraus
Someone go break Fransworth's knee!

Gladly :D

kstater
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Only need 2 more runs to see Farnsworth get a chance to pitch.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
alnorth,

my metabolism isn't fast enough for your avatar

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Silva out after throwing 70 pitches...ouch

VonneMarie
Silva BOUNCED already...

Mr. Arrowhead
Dam it, i want to see more of Silva, he has nice stuff

petegz28
Silva BOUNCED already...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :deevee:

Archie F. Swin
http://www.fangraphs.com/lgraphs/290506107_Mariners_Royals_126176400_lbig.png

fangraphs has us at 96%

does that gauge the potential winner?

tboss27
It is finally fun again to be a Royals fan. I can't believe the run production we have been putting up the last week

KCCHIEFS27
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
HAHA..she is modeling that hat WAY TOO MUCH.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :deevee:

I know, I know. It will be ok.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
does that gauge the potential winner?

(now at 97%) thats the odds according to the guys at fangraphs that the Royals will win the game considering the current situation and pitchers. They use some kind of massive database of thousands of games to compare it to.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:14 PM
That bastard almost hit my husband in his gorgeous face.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
What the hellz?

-King-
05-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Lol, what the hell are the base coaches doing?

petegz28
Once again bad baserunning by DDJ....

Chiefless
The offense is really starting to come around

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Lol, what the hell are the base coaches doing?

That was all DeJesus.

-King-
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
We might have a problem when Alex Gordon comes back. Teahen is playing nice at 3rd and Bloomquist is hitting very good.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
DDJ never picked up the coach...at all.....

Kraus
DDJ never picked up the coach...at all.....

:doh!:

-King-
That was all DeJesus.

Yeah, I'm just looking to blame ANYONE this year. This is the first year in a long time I havent had anything to really complain about so I'm just reaching here. Give me a break... :)

alanm
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Pete: Shut up.ROFL:D

-King-
Holy shit!

Kraus
8-0 Royals!!!

Have we hit the mercy rule yet?

/sarcasm

VonneMarie
Woot!

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Nice era for Garrett Olson after that single...54.00

Kraus
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Nice era for Garrett Olson after that single...54.00

ROFL

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Someone's gettin beaned tonight...It would be pretty interesting if it was Willie.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Billy Butler...welcome to the bigs. He has been damn consistent for the last 2 weeks.

Kraus
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Billy Butler...welcome to the bigs. He has been damn consistent for the last 2 weeks.

Ever since somebody suggested he be replaced with Shealy.

Chiefless
KC with 14 hits and 2 walks already.

alnorth
Here's the good news: we might blow out their bullpen while keeping ours fairly rested for them tomorrow afternoon

kcfanXIII

wonder where gordon would be if he hadn't been dl'd

Marcellus
05-06-2009, 08:27 PM
What the hell is up with Ponson?

I am a Cards fan but I am enjoying the Royals whooping some ass this year.

eazyb81
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Come on Callaspo, join in the fun!

baitism
6 LOB's for Callaspo already. Ouch.

petegz28
Game Update:

Twins 0 - Orioles 3
Tribe 7 - Red Sox 2
Sox - Tigers rained out

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Ever since somebody suggested he be replaced with Shealy.

you can thank me for that

alnorth
What the hell is up with Ponson?

I am a Cards fan but I am enjoying the Royals whooping some ass this year.

fluke. He is all but out of the rotation when Hochevar's extra year is clinched. Right now, as far as I'm concerned he is auditioning for a spot in the bullpen and maybe another shot when someone gets hurt.

BigMeatballDave
Anyone know Ponson's pitch count?

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Game Update:

Twins 0 - Orioles 3
Tribe 7 - Red Sox 2
Sox - Tigers rained out

Man, The Sux always get rained out. LMAO

alnorth
Top 5th

Griffey Jr walks
Johjima flies out to right
Gutierrez hits an infield single to pitcher, Griffey Jr to second
Betancourt singles to left, Gutierrez to second, Griffey Jr to third
Suzuki reaches on a 1-2 fielder's choice, Betancourt to second, Gutierrez to third, Griffey Jr out at home
Chavez grounds out to pitcher

0 runs, 2 hits

Bottom 5th

Olivo strikes out (swinging)
Maier walks
DeJesus flies out to right
Bloomquist grounds out to third

0 runs, 0 hits

Chiefless
Butler could work his way up to three if he keeps this up.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
LOL @ Denny Matthews
"Ponson's biggest challenge right now is just paying attention"

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone know Ponson's pitch count?

kcchiefsus
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
fluke. He is all but out of the rotation when Hochevar's extra year is clinched. Right now, as far as I'm concerned he is auditioning for a spot in the bullpen and maybe another shot when someone gets hurt.
I thought Hoechevar's extra year was already clinched as of May 4th?

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I never would have predicted this, but Ponson might actually give the bullpen a rest on a night when they really need it

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:33 PM
LOL @ Denny Matthews
"Ponson's biggest challenge right now is just paying attention"

That guy always had a droll way with words

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought Hoechevar's extra year was already clinched as of May 4th?

apparently this is more complicated than some people thought. In somewhere around May 23rd-ish he will not have a chance to qualify as a "super two"

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I never would have predicted this, but Ponson might actually give the bullpen a rest on a night when they really need it

I go back to the offense scoring those three runs in the first. Had to relax him a bit. Plus the Mariners are hacking early in the count.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
uh oh

VonneMarie
Here's Ponson. He's baaaaa-ack.

WoodDraw
apparently this is more complicated than some people thought. In somewhere around May 23rd-ish he will not have a chance to qualify as a "super two"

Super two is just arbitration though, and not free agency. I hope we aren't so cheap cheap as to give away games to save a couple million later on.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I am getting flashbacks of a game where Ichiro hit a grand slam over the RF wall against McDougal....

beavis

I think that's just for arbitration though. According to what I read in Rany's blog today, the extra FA year is clinched.

beavis
I am getting flashbacks of a game where Ichiro hit a grand slam over the RF wall against McDougal....

JFC, could you be a little more negative? We're only up by 8 runs.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't care how many runs he may drive in here..DONT WALK HIM!

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
WTF is this pitcher and WTF did he do with Sydney Ponson?

Archie F. Swin
Syd cleans up his own mess

Chiefless
That's as BEST an outcome as you could realistically imagine...2 comebackers with the bases loaded.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Why does pete have to shut up?

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Meh, it's become and inside thing going back to the start of the season between me and WillieIrish. Now it is becoming tradition and contributes to our winning. He tells me to shut up, I tell him to **** off....we win. :D

Edit: we are going to have to figure out something though to get Olivo going...

beavis
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM

He doesn't, that's the problem.

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Olivo sucks.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Meh, it's become and inside thing going back to the start of the season between me and WillieIrish. Now it is becoming tradition and contributes to our winning. He tells me to shut up, I tell him to **** off....we win. :D

Edit: we are going to have to figure out something though to get Olivo going...

ROFL

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe if beavis admits he is the reason the douchebag was invented Olivo might start hitting?

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I LOVE that KC has learned how to take walks.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
nice to see these batting avgs gettin fatter

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe if beavis admits he is the reason the douchebag was invented Olivo might start hitting?

Zack seems to love em. That's gotta cary SOME weight in the FO.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I LOVE that KC has learned how to take walks.

Me too as a longtime baseball statistician and Royals fan it always bugged me we have been "free swingers" ie no eye and not too picky.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Sydney...just throw strikes dude...

CaliforniaChief
My heart (and our bullpen) needs this game to stay relatively drama-free.

I love watching us dominate a respectable team. Granted, their pitching is not that respectable tonight. But this is huge for Ponson and for our team. Hopefully he can keep it up.

This is so freaking fun, isn't it?

alnorth
Top 6th

Lopez singles to left
Branyan doubles to right, Lopez to third
Beltre sacrifices (fly) to center, Branyan to third, Lopez scores
Griffey Jr flies into an 8-2 double play, Branyan out at home

1 run, 2 hits

Bottom 6th

Teahen hits an infield single to second
Guillen strikes out (swinging)
Butler walks, Teahen to second
Jacobs grounds into a 4-6-3 double play, Butler out at second

0 runs, 1 hit

alnorth
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I dont care if he gives up a few more hits and a few runs, the bullpen needs a break. Hillman should ride Ponson into the ground.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok...time to get HoRam warming up.....

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Me too as a longtime baseball statistician and Royals fan it always bugged me we have been "free swingers" ie no eye and not too picky.

They always seemed over-anxious....like you say, they never waited for THEIR pitch so they were always hitting on the pitcher's terms. VERY frustrating to watch.

CaliforniaChief
05-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Ugh. Just get outs, please.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
meanwhile Ponsone is in trouble again.

SnakeXJones
Ponson just needs a cheeseburger break asap

petegz28
SHOT!

Chiefless
good. he made em give up an out for that run.

VonneMarie
Olivo about to kick some ass! LMAO

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Like Olivo meant to tag him in the face.....

CaliforniaChief
good. he made em give up an out for that run.

Exactly.

kcfanXIII
lol, olivo just tagged that guy in the face.

Chiefless
what happened with Olivo

Mr. Arrowhead
ROFL Olive wacked that dude in the face

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Maier has a fucking gun of an arm. I saw that in spring training. Though a better slide and he is safe cause of the high tag.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Gotta hand it to Ponson he has done a good job of pitching out of jams. The Mariners are helping...

petegz28
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Gotta hand it to Ponson he has done a good job of pitching out of jams. The Mariners are helping...

Yep. All we need to do is spot him 8 runs and he is a gem!

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
4 Royals batting .300+ in tonights lineup

eazyb81
Ha, just saw the Olivo replay.

He was ready to throw down!

Chiefless
Yep. All we need to do is spot him 8 runs and he is a gem!

I think this team will punish some average to bad pitching this year.

WoodDraw
What's the chance of one of our hitters getting hit now?

kcfanXIII
05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
i'd feel comfortable with an 8 run lead with any royals pitcher. even farnsworth.

eazyb81
i'd feel comfortable with an 8 run lead with any royals pitcher. even farnsworth.

Need to keep Farny close to the action - he's our enforcer in a fight.

petegz28

I'm not quite ready to go there....

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Ha, just saw the Olivo replay.

He was ready to throw down!

What happened so far I've heard he tagged the guy in the face...was there some talkin after?

VonneMarie
05-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not quite ready to go there....

This

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
you know whats great about this season so far? We've been beating very good teams

baitism
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Fucking Jacobs. Previous batter walks on four pitches and he swings at the first pitch, which was a ball.

alnorth
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Top 7th

Johjima grounds out to pitcher
Gutierrez grounds out to third
Betancourt flies out to left

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 7th

Callaspo flies out to center
Olivo singles to right
Maier singles to right, Olivo to second
DeJesus flies out to left, Olivo to third
Bloomquist grounds out to second

0 runs, 2 hits

eazyb81
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
What happened so far I've heard he tagged the guy in the face...was there some talkin after?

Olivo tagged the runner in the face, the runner got up and talked a bit, and Olivo put up his fists like he was ready to box the guy. It was funny.

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Mariners are making Sydney Ponson look like Zack Greinke (minus the strikeouts)

petegz28
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
OMG, DDJ caught a fucking ball!!!

We are so going to the World Series now!!!

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
He may finish this game

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Olivo tagged the runner in the face, the runner got up and talked a bit, and Olivo put up his fists like he was ready to box the guy. It was funny.

I LOVE that. Good to see them toughen up a little.

eazyb81
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
He may finish this game

Just thinking that. He only has 80 pitches.

petegz28
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Branyon is being a fucking pussy!

Chiefless
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Garrett olson is getting stretched out. 60 pitches so far

petegz28
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Olivo on 1st to Branyon "sorry man I didn't mean to get your face..."

Branyon "fuck you man..."

Olivo "come on man I said I didn't mean it..."

Branyon "yeah, whatever, fuck you Olivo.."

Olivo "fine pussy, you come to the plate like that again and I'm laying you out..."