PDA

View Full Version : Misc Online writing classes

Mile High Mania
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Question... I'm looking for suggestions for online creative writing classes. My nephew (12) is interested in learning how to write a novel. He's very creative, loves writing stories, but he needs some help - tips, tricks, ways to build up the story - character definition - setting the plot - all that.

Since he's 12 (keep that in mind) do any of you know of a good site (or sites) that I can suggest to him?

the Talking Can
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
can't vouch for these, but google has a list of sites worth checking for leads

http://www.google.com/Top/Kids_and_Teens/Arts/Creative_Writing/

the Talking Can
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
here's an online class (http://www.writingclasses.com/CourseDescriptionPages/GenrePages.php/type/O/ClassGenreCode/CB) in NY that looks legit

FAX
05-06-2009, 09:49 PM
First, you need a plot, Mr. Mile High Mania. Something interesting is best. Like maybe a story about how dozens of severed heads start falling inexplicably from the sky one afternoon and landing in a Sam's Club parking lot. Then you need characters. Several of them. Detectives are best. No midget detectives, though. That's off-putting. Add some steamy sex and a love triangle. Or, if you feel you need it to keep the plot moving forward, a love quadrangle. Then you need a sub-plot. For example, while the detective is investigating the source of and cause for the severed heads, a Las Vegas prostitute discovers that one of her clients is a Mafia hitman. That should work. Then, you need something scientific or technical. Say, a genetic experiment goes awry and turns the prostitute (who has volunteered for human trials in AIDS research) into a savage, bloodthirsty monster with amazing skills at javelin throwing and bread baking. Maybe she partners with her client to take over a Mafia family's business by cooking up poison breakfast rolls. Then, you need to tie it all together and put a twist at the end that catch peeps off guard. Hope that helps.

FAX

cdcox
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
There's nothin' to know. You have an idea, you write down what you wanna say. Then you get somebody to add in the commas and shit where they belong, if you aren't positive yourself. Maybe fix up the spelling where you have some tricky words... although I've seen scripts where I know words weren't spelled right and there was hardly any commas in it at all. So I don't think it's too important. Anyway, you come to the last page you write in 'Fade out' and that's the end, you're done.

MoreLemonPledge
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? (voice getting higher pitched) Yea, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? (voice returns to normal) No, no, you deserve some time off.

Gracie Dean
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
easybib.com is a great site to help students learn how to cite their sources

SNR
05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Anybody got Nick Athan's e-mail?