PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Hali hoping for a fresh start...

DaWolf
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Hali hoping for a fresh start (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1183165.html)

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The thought first occurred to Tamba Hali last year as he suffered through the worst season of his NFL career.

Maybe he’d be better off if he were allowed to drop some weight and move away from defensive end, where he was having trouble staying in one piece and fulfilling what the Chiefs saw in Hali when they made him their first-round draft pick in 2006.

So it’s in that light that Hali is looking at the Chiefs’ hiring of coach Todd Haley and their planned transition to a 3-4 defense as a good thing. The Chiefs are looking at Hali as an outside linebacker, though he could play some at end when they move to the 4-3.

“They’re trying me at different spots, but I’ve got to think (linebacker) is probably where they’ll want me,” Hali said. “Haley’s telling me both defensive end and linebacker, so I’m moving between both of them now.

“I can rush the passer and play the run while I’m playing linebacker. That’s basically what I did at Penn State, so I’m excited about that.”

It might be the last chance for Hali to resurrect his career, at least in Kansas City. The Chiefs once pinned huge expectations to Hali, the first player they drafted after naming Herm Edwards as their coach three years ago.

The new administration of Haley and general manager Scott Pioli has no such allegiance to Hali. They drafted defensive linemen Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee with their two top draft picks and added veteran linebackers Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas.

Hali will have to earn his way, though the Chiefs will for now look for spots where he can help.

“He’s another guy that has some really good ability, and those defensive linemen, linebackers, whatever role he’s going to play, those guys don’t grow on trees,” Haley said. “He’s a guy who can make plays, and I’m for guys that can make plays.”

The Chiefs had a defined role for Hali when he was drafted. He was going to be the end opposite Jared Allen.

Hali did that well enough his first two seasons, totaling 15 1/2 sacks. But they asked him to replace Allen as the featured pass rusher as the right end last season after trading Allen to Minnesota.

Hali suffered there, and the Chiefs eventually moved him back to his original spot at left end during the season. His three sacks led the Chiefs, but they were the lowest total of his career. Hali also was bothered by injuries that didn’t prevent him from playing but did hamper his efforts to be the player the Chiefs expected.

He also could play at a weight more natural than the 275 pounds that he played at last season.

“I don’t really need to be 275 pounds. I don’t even need to be 260. Maybe I can be 250 like (Pittsburgh’s) James Harrison or (San Diego’s) Shawne "roidman" Merriman,” Hali said, referring to top pass-rushing 3-4 linebackers. “I’m more comfortable at that weight anyway. I was 275 only because that’s what (former defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham) wanted.

“Right now, we’re looking for speed.”

Even at a lighter weight, pass coverage will be an issue for Hali and the Chiefs. They didn’t ask him to do much of that under Edwards other than the occasional zone blitz.

“Tamba will be OK,” Edwards said. “He had dropped (in coverage) before. Gun ran some zone coverage where Tamba had to drop.”

Haley said: “We’ve got to see him do that. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him (in coverage) other than some zone drops and things like that. That’s what this next couple of months is for, trying to figure out where these guys fit.”

Even Hali acknowledged he will have to improve in that area.

“That’s something I’ll have to work on. I’m not going to lie to you,” he said. “Covering receivers has not been my specialty.

“But I’m looking forward to trying it because I’m just being a football player. I’m glad about this because I just like to play the game. I don’t just want to be good at one thing. I want to be able to do everything.”

KCrockaholic
05-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Hali hoping for a fresh start (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1183165.html)

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The thought first occurred to Tamba Hali last year as he suffered through the worst season of his NFL career.

Maybe he’d be better off if he were allowed to drop some weight and move away from defensive end, where he was having trouble staying in one piece and fulfilling what the Chiefs saw in Hali when they made him their first-round draft pick in 2006.

So it’s in that light that Hali is looking at the Chiefs’ hiring of coach Todd Haley and their planned transition to a 3-4 defense as a good thing. The Chiefs are looking at Hali as an outside linebacker, though he could play some at end when they move to the 4-3.

“They’re trying me at different spots, but I’ve got to think (linebacker) is probably where they’ll want me,” Hali said. “Haley’s telling me both defensive end and linebacker, so I’m moving between both of them now.

“I can rush the passer and play the run while I’m playing linebacker. That’s basically what I did at Penn State, so I’m excited about that.”

It might be the last chance for Hali to resurrect his career, at least in Kansas City. The Chiefs once pinned huge expectations to Hali, the first player they drafted after naming Herm Edwards as their coach three years ago.

The new administration of Haley and general manager Scott Pioli has no such allegiance to Hali. They drafted defensive linemen Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee with their two top draft picks and added veteran linebackers Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas.

Hali will have to earn his way, though the Chiefs will for now look for spots where he can help.

“He’s another guy that has some really good ability, and those defensive linemen, linebackers, whatever role he’s going to play, those guys don’t grow on trees,” Haley said. “He’s a guy who can make plays, and I’m for guys that can make plays.”

The Chiefs had a defined role for Hali when he was drafted. He was going to be the end opposite Jared Allen.

Hali did that well enough his first two seasons, totaling 15 1/2 sacks. But they asked him to replace Allen as the featured pass rusher as the right end last season after trading Allen to Minnesota.

Hali suffered there, and the Chiefs eventually moved him back to his original spot at left end during the season. His three sacks led the Chiefs, but they were the lowest total of his career. Hali also was bothered by injuries that didn’t prevent him from playing but did hamper his efforts to be the player the Chiefs expected.

He also could play at a weight more natural than the 275 pounds that he played at last season.

“I don’t really need to be 275 pounds. I don’t even need to be 260. Maybe I can be 250 like (Pittsburgh’s) James Harrison or (San Diego’s) Shawne "roidman" Merriman,” Hali said, referring to top pass-rushing 3-4 linebackers. “I’m more comfortable at that weight anyway. I was 275 only because that’s what (former defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham) wanted.

“Right now, we’re looking for speed.”

Even at a lighter weight, pass coverage will be an issue for Hali and the Chiefs. They didn’t ask him to do much of that under Edwards other than the occasional zone blitz.

“Tamba will be OK,” Edwards said. “He had dropped (in coverage) before. Gun ran some zone coverage where Tamba had to drop.”

Haley said: “We’ve got to see him do that. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him (in coverage) other than some zone drops and things like that. That’s what this next couple of months is for, trying to figure out where these guys fit.”

Even Hali acknowledged he will have to improve in that area.

“That’s something I’ll have to work on. I’m not going to lie to you,” he said. “Covering receivers has not been my specialty.

“But I’m looking forward to trying it because I’m just being a football player. I’m glad about this because I just like to play the game. I don’t just want to be good at one thing. I want to be able to do everything.”

ROFL for a second I thought he actually called him "roidman". Anyways, good luck Tamba cause your gonna need it.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM
If he drops down to 240, he's got a chance.

Dropping 35 pounds will ease the pressure on his feet, knees, hips and back. It could make a huge difference.

Or not.

RustShack
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
He might not be the best, but I think if he drops weight he can get us by for awhile. It would be nice, but we don't need Pro Bowlers at every position. I think he could at least be for us what Roth is for the Dolphins.

KCrockaholic
05-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I think at 245 or 250 Tamba could actually be a decent player. He was slow last year, Hes got a long way to go.

L.A. Chieffan
05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
uhhh he sux. peace out

DaWolf
05-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Well I guess it's hard to suck any more than he did last year.

I just hope this coaching staff is more adept at identifying how to use talent than the last staff was...

Thig Lyfe
05-07-2009, 12:09 AM
prepost

BigRock
05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Did it really never dawn on anyone that Tamba playing 25 pounds above his normal weight might be why he's had constant nagging injuries the past two years?

lostcause
05-07-2009, 01:12 AM
uhhh he sux. peace out

Well yes, him and 10 other starters on the defense. The guy did account for a third of the chiefs sacks - so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

wasi
05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Some players can bulk up and still improve. Based on Hali's play last season, he obviously doesn't fall into that category for obvious reasons.
Last season could turn out to be a blessing. It's an entirely new defense and if Hali's going to play at a lighter weight he might become a useful situational player because he'll be stronger, quicker and hopefully more durable. If not he might not earn that arrowhead.

the Talking Can
05-07-2009, 04:13 AM
gunther is a fucking idiot

KC Jones
05-07-2009, 05:01 AM
“... whatever role he’s going to play, those guys don’t grow on trees,” Haley said. “He’s a guy who can make plays, and I’m for guys that can make plays.”

heh - guys with no role don't grow on trees.

Kerberos
05-07-2009, 05:28 AM
gunther is a ****ing idiot

Is that more than him being a GAWD DAMN MORON or 2nd to it?

InChiefsHell
05-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Geez. The incompetence of that last staff is really showing it's ugly head. Here's to hoping Tamba can lose the weight and play at that position.

...I have this picture in my mind of Gun screaming at Tamba "Gawdammit, you need to eat more fuckin' cheesburgers! Do you hear me, you fuckin' beanpole?? EAT DAMMIT, EAT!!!"

InChiefsHell
05-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Maybe Tamba could give some of that weight to Brodie Croyle, Lord knows that dude needs to eat a sammich or three...

...not that it matters where Croyle is concerned, just sayin'...

SenselessChiefsFan
05-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Smart coaches will find roles for good players who love the game. Hali fits the Patriots ideal. Perhaps not the 'most' talented player, but a guy who is a hard worker who loves the game.

And, I have been on record the entire time that Hali will be very good in this scheme. He has dropped into coverage and done a good job. I know he has just done some zone drops. And, you can account for that weakness depending on the formation and down and distance.

The reality is that most player have a weakness that the coaches have to account for.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Smart coaches will find roles for good players who love the game. Hali fits the Patriots ideal. Perhaps not the 'most' talented player, but a guy who is a hard worker who loves the game.

And, I have been on record the entire time that Hali will be very good in this scheme. He has dropped into coverage and done a good job. I know he has just done some zone drops. And, you can account for that weakness depending on the formation and down and distance.

The reality is that most player have a weakness that the coaches have to account for.

While I'm not going to go out on the limb of saying that he'll be "very good", I have been adamant that this is his last, best chance to succeed. Some of his best games at DE his rookie year, he was standing up and moving around.

That being said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about him fitting the mold - the Patriot mentality. We NEED for guys like Hali to succeed. Look at the Chargers, LOADED with talent and nothing to show for it. Because they don't have enough guys with the HEART for it.

RedThat
05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I like the fact he will have Thomas and Vrabel playing with him.

Hopefully that will help?

Kerberos
05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
While I'm not going to go out on the limb of saying that he'll be "very good", I have been adamant that this is his last, best chance to succeed. Some of his best games at DE his rookie year, he was standing up and moving around.

That being said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about him fitting the mold - the Patriot mentality. We NEED for guys like Hali to succeed. Look at the Chargers, LOADED with talent and nothing to show for it. Because they don't have enough guys with the HEART for it.

I would like to think that some of the Chargers problems started with the coaching change. (Marty > Norv) Norv is NOT a good head coach. He is an outstanding OC or QB coach. Thier downward swirl will continue as long as Norv is HC. IMHO

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I would like to think that some of the Chargers problems started with the coaching change. (Marty > Norv) Norv is NOT a good head coach. He is an outstanding OC or QB coach. Thier downward swirl will continue as long as Norv is HC. IMHO

Saying Marty > Norv is like saying eating dog shit > eating cat shit.

the Talking Can
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
as depth, hali can be an asset

as a starter....not so sure

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Like I said, I'm not convinced. I think he has a better chance of being a 3-4 OLB at this point than he does a 4-3 DE.

But if he CAN'T do this, his stint with the Chiefs is done.

DaWolf
05-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Well let's put it this way: Under Carl and Herm, Hali would be in there no matter what, because they would have a hard time admitting that their No 1 pick wasn't living up to standards.

Under the new regime, it's either produce or be replaced...

FAX
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Hali is a real puzzler. Maybe he's just one of those guys who has difficulty making the transition to the pros ... who knows? Nevertheless, and regardless of what the Debbies say, I think he has potential as a hybrid DE/OLB playing outside the shoulder of the OT.

To make that work, though, we need vast improvement in the other LBs. I guess Pioli thinks he's accomplished that with Vrabel and Thomas. Time will tell, but I'm about 50/50 on Hali at this point ... leaning toward 40/60 ... that he'll eventually become a valued player for the Chiefs.

FAX

ct
05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I think he's got a good shot for success at a reduced weight, playing from a stand up stance.

crazycoffey
05-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I just think he has a better chance to make this transition than many here will give him credit. Do I know he'll be a good OLB? of course not. Do I want to see him try and succeed? Of course I do.

MOhillbilly
05-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Did it really never dawn on anyone that Tamba playing 25 pounds above his normal weight might be why he's had constant nagging injuries the past two years?

Bullshit excuse. theres a reason the military didnt take people with flat feet.

MTG#10
05-07-2009, 09:20 AM
In before mecca calls Haley an idiot and laughs at the possibility of Hali dropping weight and playing LB.

whoman69
05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Well yes, him and 10 other starters on the defense. The guy did account for a third of the chiefs sacks - so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

I don't really think that with last years stats that can be seen as a bonus. Obviously he wasn't up for the switch to the other side. It never should have been done, but hindsight is 20/20. A change to something he is more comfortable with could be just what he needs. Finding defensive ends these days is getting harder and harder. Asking someone to stay around 280 and maintain some speed is a tall order. I think that is probably another reason that so many teams are switching to the 3-4. Speed rushers just don't have the bulk to be able to stop the run against larger and larger offensive lineman. Teams are looking for that 3-4 end that can keep the blockers off their outside linebackers.

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Dropping 35 pounds will ease the pressure on his feet, knees, hips and back. It could make a huge difference.

Or not.

It will be an interesting experiment to say the least.

And finally; "Again with the growing on trees, this obsession of Haley's"!!!
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/102590-37996-dr-zoidberg_large.gif

Kerberos
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Saying Marty > Norv is like saying eating dog shit > eating cat shit.

Chargers may have sucked in the postseason under Marty but in the OVERALL picture as a HC I truely believe that Marty > Norv

Norv can coach a QB as good as anyone but he lacks in the HC department and the lack of team unity last year proved it IMHO.

the Talking Can
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Well let's put it this way: Under Carl and Herm, Hali would be in there no matter what, because they would have a hard time admitting that their No 1 pick wasn't living up to standards.

totally agree

we aren't going to see anymore Hicks type players starting for 5 years....

this year is all about evaluation...they have no choice but to play these guys and see what they are capable of

some will surprise, some disappoint...some will fit, some won't..

Hali is a sunk cost,imo, so his success or failure concerns me much less than Dorsey...

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Chargers may have sucked in the postseason under Marty but in the OVERALL picture as a HC I truely believe that Marty > Norv

Norv can coach a QB as good as anyone but he lacks in the HC department and the lack of team unity last year proved it IMHO.

Marty over Norv every fucking day until the sun implodes.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Put me in the minority thinking camp, but I actually think Hali will be more productive as an outside 3-4 LBer, than as a 4-3 DE, at least where pass-rush is concerned. I don't think he's strong enough to take on stout O-lineman every down, but I believe with those O-lineman being contained by Jackson, Dorsey, Tank, etc.., it will help free up Hali to rush the QB and actually improve his pass-rush. I worry about his running stopping ability, though.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Again, that's like asking me if I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a soup spoon or salad tongs...either way I'm still gouging out my eyes.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Put me in the minority thinking camp, but I actually think Hali will be more productive as an outside 3-4 LBer, than as a 4-3 DE, at least where pass-rush is concerned. I don't think he's strong enough to take on stout O-lineman every down, but I believe with those O-lineman being contained by Jackson, Dorsey, Tank, etc.., it will help free up Hali to rush the QB and actually improve his pass-rush. I worry about his running stopping ability, though.

I'm in your camp.

It's not about whether or not he can be better at OLB than DE, it's about good he can really be.

Better than bad does not equal good.

RedThat
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM

And thats what I love about this new regime. It's commitment and production regardless of who you are. If you don't have those 2, you're a goner.

Much less unlike the old one where youre a #1 pick and you don't produce it's ok because youre that number 1 pick that they invested so there gonna play you regardless if that pick is good or bad?

We saw that on numerous occasions not only with draft picks but FA's as well.

I'd like to think that was a big part of the reason this franchise was mediocre, to porous.

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm in your camp.

It's not about whether or not he can be better at OLB than DE, it's about good he can really be.

Better than bad does not equal good.

Uh oh, you tread on dangerous ground, THISmage. Careful! :rolleyes:

bowener
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I think at 245 or 250 Tamba could actually be a decent player. He was slow last year, Hes got a long way to go.

If anything it should allow for him to help us on special teams... at least we'd get something out of him.

This could turn out to be interesting... not saying he is going to be a Harrison or Merriman, but just interesting to see him make this transition.

Chief Faithful
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
The concern seems to be his ability to drop into pass coverage. At 260lbs I suspect he could cover as well as Harrison or Merriman. This could be a very good fit for Hali.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 12:39 PM
The concern seems to be his ability to drop into pass coverage. At 260lbs I suspect he could cover as well as Harrison or Merriman. This could be a very good fit for Hali.

I'm not real worried about pass coverage. Merriman isn't great at it. Neither was DT.

If Hali can get to the QB 10-12 times this next season, I couldn't care less if he's not great at covering...

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not real worried about pass coverage. Merriman isn't great at it. Neither was DT.

If Hali can get to the QB 10-12 times this next season, I couldn't care less if he's not great at covering...

DT was fast. Ungodly fast.

Now they say that tackles are more athletic and quicker these days. If nothing else, I'm going to get a serious kick out of watching this unfold.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
DT was fast. Ungodly fast.

Now they say that tackles are more athletic and quicker these days. If nothing else, I'm going to get a serious kick out of watching this unfold.

DT wasn't track-speed fast, he was explosive. His first step was unreal.

Cormac
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
And thats what I love about this new regime. It's commitment and production regardless of who you are. If you don't have those 2, you're a goner.

Much less unlike the old one where youre a #1 pick and you don't produce it's ok because youre that number 1 pick that they invested so there gonna play you regardless if that pick is good or bad?

We saw that on numerous occasions not only with draft picks but FA's as well.

I'd like to think that was a big part of the reason this franchise was mediocre, to porous.

Let's just see how the new regime deal with their failed draft picks and FA signings first before we grovel at their feet. Any FO that brings in a 1st round pick is going to give that player a good chance. They obviously saw a lot of potential during scouting and they'll give the player time to develop that ability. Pioli/Haley have a clean slate. It's easy for them to discard/discount old picks because they're not being held accountable. In 3 years we'll know how they deal with Jackson/Magee, if they're successes or failures. That's a totally different situation, IMO.

Disclaimer: I am not making any assertions, direct or implied, that CP/Herm/Gun were anything other than dreadful.

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Let's just see how the new regime deal with their failed draft picks and FA signings first before we grovel at their feet. Any FO that brings in a 1st round pick is going to give that player a good chance. They obviously saw a lot of potential during scouting and they'll give the player time to develop that ability. Pioli/Haley have a clean slate. It's easy for them to discard/discount old picks because they're not being held accountable. In 3 years we'll know how they deal with Jackson/Magee, if they're successes or failures. That's a totally different situation, IMO.

Disclaimer: I am not making any assertions, direct or implied, that CP/Herm/Gun were anything other than dreadful.

:eek: ROFL REP!

Chieftain58
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Special teams player

38yrsfan
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
The guy has obvious abilities that just need to be cultivated and then properly applied in a situation that plays on his strengths.

Spicy McHaggis
05-07-2009, 05:01 PM

That's pretty much it. I remember watching him thinking "He had to have jumped before the snap, he couldn't have gotten there that fast otherwise." And the replay would show that it was just DT, being DT, blowing off the snap and making some offensive tackle look like a matador.

Unreal is right.

MoreLemonPledge
05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
In the three drafts prior to Scott Pioli's arrival in Kansas City a few months ago, the Chiefs selected in the first round defensive end Tamba Hali, wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, and defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

For varying reasons, all three players could be elsewhere a year from now. Pioli, who came to Kansas City from New England, hired Todd Haley to replace Herm Edwards, and Clancy Pendergast to rebuild a defense that lost its way in recent seasons under Gunther Cunningham. This includes a switch to the 3-4 defense, a scheme Pendergast had some success with during the Cardinals' 2008 late-season surge.

It also means that Dorsey and Hali, drafted specifically for the 4-3, could be poor personnel fits for the new system. For now, it sounds like Dorsey will move to defensive end (opposite '09 first-rounder, Tyson Jackson), and Hali will stand up and play outside linebacker.

Hali seems willing to make the switch -- he told the Kansas City Star's Adam Teicher that "They're trying me at different spots, but I've got to think (linebacker) is probably where they'll want me ... I can rush the passer and play the run while I'm playing linebacker. That's basically what I did at Penn State, so I'm excited about that."

But as Teicher points out, the new regime could choose to cut ties with Hali if things don't work out.

In a previous post, Teicher suggested that Bowe's work ethic could determine his fate in Kansas City. Bowe was 30 minutes late for his very first practice as a member of the Chiefs, but he also was the team's best offensive player in each of his two NFL seasons.

And while I understand that the new regime might want to bring in "their players," and rid the club house of "shiftless layabouts" (and I'm speaking in generalities here, not about Bowe in particular), this is also worth considering: the Patriots -- Pioli's former employer -- had a lot of success taking fliers on players most teams considered not worth the trouble.

Corey Dillon and Randy Moss are two obvious examples. Bowe is Kenneth Parcell by comparison. All else equal, I'm guessing the Chiefs keep him around. As for Hali and Dorsey, well, that could be a different story.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/07/new-chiefs-front-office-could-be-bad-fit-for-former-1st-rounders/

milkman
05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Bullshit excuse. theres a reason the military didnt take people with flat feet.

That hasn't been true for at least 30 years.

As for Tamba, even in college at a lesser weight, he was never fast.

He might be servicable at OLB, but you shouldn't expect anything more.

6-8 sacks will probably be his ceiling.

MTG#10
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
:hmmm:

milkman
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM

We hardly knew you, dumbass, and for that we give thanks.

milkman
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
:eek:

I didn't keep his quote in my response, because that kind of ignorance doesn't need to be repeated.

MTG#10
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I didn't keep his qoute in my response, because that kind of ignorance doesn't need to be repeated.

I did just in case he tried to delete it.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
In the three drafts prior to Scott Pioli's arrival in Kansas City a few months ago, the Chiefs selected in the first round defensive end Tamba Hali, wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, and defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

For varying reasons, all three players could be elsewhere a year from now. Pioli, who came to Kansas City from New England, hired Todd Haley to replace Herm Edwards, and Clancy Pendergast to rebuild a defense that lost its way in recent seasons under Gunther Cunningham. This includes a switch to the 3-4 defense, a scheme Pendergast had some success with during the Cardinals' 2008 late-season surge.

It also means that Dorsey and Hali, drafted specifically for the 4-3, could be poor personnel fits for the new system. For now, it sounds like Dorsey will move to defensive end (opposite '09 first-rounder, Tyson Jackson), and Hali will stand up and play outside linebacker.

Hali seems willing to make the switch -- he told the Kansas City Star's Adam Teicher that "They're trying me at different spots, but I've got to think (linebacker) is probably where they'll want me ... I can rush the passer and play the run while I'm playing linebacker. That's basically what I did at Penn State, so I'm excited about that."

But as Teicher points out, the new regime could choose to cut ties with Hali if things don't work out.

In a previous post, Teicher suggested that Bowe's work ethic could determine his fate in Kansas City. Bowe was 30 minutes late for his very first practice as a member of the Chiefs, but he also was the team's best offensive player in each of his two NFL seasons.

And while I understand that the new regime might want to bring in "their players," and rid the club house of "shiftless layabouts" (and I'm speaking in generalities here, not about Bowe in particular), this is also worth considering: the Patriots -- Pioli's former employer -- had a lot of success taking fliers on players most teams considered not worth the trouble.

Corey Dillon and Randy Moss are two obvious examples. Bowe is Kenneth Parcell by comparison. All else equal, I'm guessing the Chiefs keep him around. As for Hali and Dorsey, well, that could be a different story.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/07/new-chiefs-front-office-could-be-bad-fit-for-former-1st-rounders/

I can understand the speculation about Dorsey and Hali.

The stuff about Bowe is starting to piss me off, though.

MoreLemonPledge
05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I can understand the speculation about Dorsey and Hali.

The stuff about Bowe is starting to piss me off, though.

I feel the same. There is absolutely no reason for Bowe to even be mentioned. Work ethic problems? Pioli won't stand for it? Then why did they trade for Randy Moss?

Bowe will be fine.

-King-
05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I feel the same. There is absolutely no reason for Bowe to even be mentioned. Work ethic problems? Pioli won't stand for it? Then why did they trade for Randy Moss?

Bowe will be fine.

This.

Bowes work ethic canrt come into question. To me, he's like terrell owens in how he keeps in shape during the off season. They both work hard to keep in shape. He hasn't given me any reason to question his work ethic.

I think this is just the result of a pissed off writer that's just making shit up because the front office won't give him shit to write about.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
05-07-2009, 07:05 PM
I did just in case he tried to delete it.

For the record, all edits are saved in the system for mods to view. Don't quote idiots. It makes it harder to clean up the mess.

el borracho
05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Gunther didn't get the job done but he isn't the reason Tamba Hali sucks.

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/players/tamba_hali.jpg
http://buyitbythecase.com/images/05267.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
(and I didn't even have to stage a bullshit photo-op to make it happen!):thumb:

FAX
05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Exactly so, Mr. hitsmaqe. I read an article about DT a couple of years ago in which they interviewed several linemen who played against him. In summary, those peeps talked about his first step ... basically said that he was by you before you could react. Apparently, DT had a very unusual gift in that sense.

It's odd how he was so quick out of the blocks ... I mean, his first step was faster than 99.9% of other linebackers ... you would think that such a skill wouldn't be that rare, but I guess it is.

FAX

RedThat
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
And I like to add to DT's 1st step, the thing I'll always remember about DT that made him so special was the timing of his 1st step. It was great! Looks like he would jump offsides but he didn't because his timing was so precise and on the money right when that whistle blew. I guess the timing and explosiveness off the line, put those 2 contributing factors together and thats what made him great.

Raised On Riots
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
And I like to add to DT's 1st step, the thing I'll always remember about DT that made him so special was the timing of his 1st step. It was great! Looks like he would jump offsides but he didn't because his timing was so precise and on the money right when that whistle blew. I guess the timing and explosiveness off the line, put those 2 contributing factors together and thats what made him great.

The guy was such a weapon. I'm beyond thrilled he's finally "going home" where he belongs. That's going to be a Great Day.
Can't wait.

bdeg
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
ya know today everyone says the exact same things about Ware

I saw a clip awhile back where they claimed he told his coach he wasn't offsides when he was flagged for it. coach went and looked at the tape, which they showed, and it was just instantaneous

SenselessChiefsFan
05-08-2009, 06:28 AM

Exactly. He has been VERY effective when he was standing up and moving around. His biggest liability is that he hasn't held up physically to playing on the LOS. He has had injuries and he wears down during games.

He plays all out 100% of the time and he doesn't pace himself. This has hurt him in the offseason, and during games. It even hurt him leading up to the combine because he overtrained. He ran a poor 40 time because of it.

He is faster than he is given credit for and he has great athleticsm. He has very good lateral movement and very fluid hips for a guy his size. He has heart, he has tenacity, and he has good football instincts.

He may not be a pro bowler, but he will surprise a lot of guys on here. About midway through the season, I expect articles to start coming out about him being one of the main reasons the 3-4 defense is working.

Time will tell. I have went as far out of the limb as I can. If he falls on his face, I will be having Crow for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Independence day, Halloween, St. Patricks day, Flag Day, Valentines day, etc.

I will have a multi year supply of Crow.

milkman
05-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Exactly. He has been VERY effective when he was standing up and moving around. His biggest liability is that he hasn't held up physically to playing on the LOS. He has had injuries and he wears down during games.

He plays all out 100% of the time and he doesn't pace himself. This has hurt him in the offseason, and during games. It even hurt him leading up to the combine because he overtrained. He ran a poor 40 time because of it.

He is faster than he is given credit for and he has great athleticsm. He has very good lateral movement and very fluid hips for a guy his size. He has heart, he has tenacity, and he has good football instincts.

He may not be a pro bowler, but he will surprise a lot of guys on here. About midway through the season, I expect articles to start coming out about him being one of the main reasons the 3-4 defense is working.

Time will tell. I have went as far out of the limb as I can. If he falls on his face, I will be having Crow for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Independence day, Halloween, St. Patricks day, Flag Day, Valentines day, etc.

I will have a multi year supply of Crow.

I'm pretty sure Crow has been a huge part of your diet for years, so nothing will change.

Tuckdaddy
05-09-2009, 07:03 AM
I like Tamba and hope he makes the cut. He's one of the good guys we have that thankful to be in the NFL.

Not to mention now that Tony is gone I only have him and LJ jerseys left to wear. All the other ones I have are of players no longer on the team.

MoreLemonPledge
05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I like Tamba and hope he makes the cut. He's one of the good guys we have that thankful to be in the NFL.

Not to mention now that Tony is gone I only have him and LJ jerseys left to wear. All the other ones I have are of players no longer on the team.

You have a Tamba Hali jersey? I'm so sorry...

Raised On Riots
05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
You have a Tamba Hali jersey? I'm so sorry...

ROFL You're coming along quite nicely.

King_Chief_Fan
05-10-2009, 07:42 AM

I always wonder how a person can claim things about a player when said player hasn't shown it on the field... Haley flips the switch and makes a playmaker out of Hali. Can't wait to see that.

whoman69
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I always wonder how a person can claim things about a player when said player hasn't shown it on the field... Haley flips the switch and makes a playmaker out of Hali. Can't wait to see that.

I wouldn't say he just flips a switch, but a change in the way things are done can often work miracles. Nobody saw anything in Len Dawson for five years.

milkman
05-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't say he just flips a switch, but a change in the way things are done can often work miracles. Nobody saw anything in Len Dawson for five years.

That isn't true.

The Steelers saw enough from Dawson to make him the fifth overall selection in '57, and the Browns traded for him when Lenny couldn't displace Bobby Layne, but again he couldn't displace an established starter.

Lenny had the tools to succeed, he just needed to find the right place to put those tools to use.

Hali, on the other hand, has pretty much maxed out his potential.
The switch to OLB in 34 may put him a position to be a servicable player, which is his max potential.

htismaqe
05-10-2009, 10:42 AM

Hasn't shown what on the field?

Because he made two different assertions - that Hali plays 100% all the time and that he has great athleticism. BOTH of those aren't false, because he has certainly proven on the field that he gives 100% on every play, even when he's hurt.

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
The guy had a pretty solid first 2 years in the league. Last year was rough, but it's not like he is chopped liver. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he succeeded in his new role.

StcChief
05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
gunther is a fucking idiot
but Eric Hicks should save his job in Detroit ROFL

hoping Tamba is retooled. the high draft pick turning around would be nice....
and show how F'ed up our coaches were.

SenselessChiefsFan
05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Actually he has shown it. But, I know that many fans don't see it. But, there are a lot of things that the majority of fans miss.

King_Chief_Fan
05-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Hasn't shown what on the field?

Because he made two different assertions - that Hali plays 100% all the time and that he has great athleticism. BOTH of those aren't false, because he has certainly proven on the field that he gives 100% on every play, even when he's hurt.

see milkman's response. most appropriate

whoman69
05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
That isn't true.

The Steelers saw enough from Dawson to make him the fifth overall selection in '57, and the Browns traded for him when Lenny couldn't displace Bobby Layne, but again he couldn't displace an established starter.

Lenny had the tools to succeed, he just needed to find the right place to put those tools to use.

Hali, on the other hand, has pretty much maxed out his potential.
The switch to OLB in 34 may put him a position to be a servicable player, which is his max potential.

The same could be said about Hali. Your argument about Dawson falls well short. Layne came to the Steelers in 1958 being traded for Earl Morrall who started all but one of their games in '57 over Dawson. The trade was not before the season, but after two games which shows Dawson couldn't beat out Morrall either. Morrall was only in his second year in the league in '57. In his one start Dawson only threw four passes. In his five NFL seasons Dawson started 2 games and only attempted 45 passes.

You don't make a convincing case that he was brought in two replace Plum. Plum led the league in pass completion % the year before Dawson was brought in, and was 9-2 as a starter the year before that. They released Dawson prior to the 1962 season despite the fact that the Browns had traded away Plum and went with the immortal Jim Ninowsky to start. Ninowsky lost his job by years end to Frank Ryan.

milkman
05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
The same could be said about Hali. Your argument about Dawson falls well short. Layne came to the Steelers in 1958 being traded for Earl Morrall who started all but one of their games in '57 over Dawson. The trade was not before the season, but after two games which shows Dawson couldn't beat out Morrall either. Morrall was only in his second year in the league in '57. In his one start Dawson only threw four passes. In his five NFL seasons Dawson started 2 games and only attempted 45 passes.

You don't make a convincing case that he was brought in two replace Plum. Plum led the league in pass completion % the year before Dawson was brought in, and was 9-2 as a starter the year before that. They released Dawson prior to the 1962 season despite the fact that the Browns had traded away Plum and went with the immortal Jim Ninowsky to start. Ninowsky lost his job by years end to Frank Ryan.

Dawson was a rookie, playing behind Earl Morrall, who was a pretty good QB, albeit, not an all time great.

They had a chance to bring in a QB who was considered among the best in the league at the time to replace Morrall, and did it.

The Browns traded for Dawson to develop behind Plum, who as you pointed out, was an accurate passer.

The problem was that the rust had settled in for Dawson already, and he wasn't as sharp as the Browns had hoped.

But the fact was, Dawson was considered a top flight prospect coming out of school with great upside.

Hali was considered nearly maxed out.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
see milkman's response. most appropriate

That doesn't answer the queston.

Are you trying to argue that Hali doesn't play hard? Or just that he's not very talented?

Because Sensible asserted that BOTH are true, and you flatly disagreed with him, meaning that either

1) You weren't careful with how you answered or

2) You think he isn't very talented AND he doesn't try, the latter of which is absolutely false.

whoman69
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Dawson was a rookie, playing behind Earl Morrall, who was a pretty good QB, albeit, not an all time great.

They had a chance to bring in a QB who was considered among the best in the league at the time to replace Morrall, and did it.

The Browns traded for Dawson to develop behind Plum, who as you pointed out, was an accurate passer.

The problem was that the rust had settled in for Dawson already, and he wasn't as sharp as the Browns had hoped.

But the fact was, Dawson was considered a top flight prospect coming out of school with great upside.

Hali was considered nearly maxed out.

Morrall was an average QB on average teams, who came off a poor year in SF in '56 to be the Steelers' starter in '57. Layne was not brought in at the beginning of '58, but 2 games in, so the brass didn't think that Dawson was the answer going into '58. Let's also consider it was a bit of a risk by the Steelers to bring Layne in as he had severely broken his leg in the championship the year before, and up to then was splitting time at QB. Dawson wasn't considered good enough to take the job or even get a shot ahead of Morrall. Morrall only shown bright with a great cast behind him. Let's not forget that Unitas was the MVP in '67 and that Morrall was only in there because Unitas was hurt. He was exposed by a pretty good Jets defense in Super Bowl III.

Let's not underplay the fact that Dawson was released in Cleveland despite the fact that Cleveland traded its disgruntled QB Milt Plum and went with a pair of backups from the Lions and Rams who had 18 and 17 starts respectively in 4 year careers.

The modern equivelent of Dawson's career would be Brady Quinn, if Cleveland decided to bring in Rothliesberger who had severely broken his leg in the year's previous Super Bowl after splitting time with Charlie Batch during their championship season. Quinn gets traded to Denver to learn behind Jay Cutler but is released when Cutler is traded away and Quinn can't compete with Kyle Orton. The team that picks up Quinn doesn't even think he will make the team when they first see him.

Hali had more than 7 sacks each of his first two seasons but fell off last year on a team that had no rush. He is not considered great against the run but that may change going on the outside in a 3-4, especially if he can lose some weight and gain back some speed.

King_Chief_Fan
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
That doesn't answer the queston.

Are you trying to argue that Hali doesn't play hard? Or just that he's not very talented?

Because Sensible asserted that BOTH are true, and you flatly disagreed with him, meaning that either

1) You weren't careful with how you answered or

2) You think he isn't very talented AND he doesn't try, the latter of which is absolutely false.

he plays hard but doesn't appear to me to have the talent.
He hasn't been that impressive in his position of DE.

this part from Milkman is what I referenced: Hali, on the other hand, has pretty much maxed out his potential.

htismaqe
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
he plays hard but doesn't appear to me to have the talent.
He hasn't been that impressive in his position of DE.

this part from Milkman is what I referenced: Hali, on the other hand, has pretty much maxed out his potential.

OK, just making sure.

I agree with you - the guy gives maximum effort, but he might just not be all that talented.

whoman69
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Let's not forget he had to gain 20 lbs to be an NFL 4-3 end. Coming out of college he was too small to be an NFL end. I'm sure that cut down on his speed and energy. We'll see if he cuts down that he has enough speed to play outside on a 3-4. He has enough talent that they haven't given up on him. New fresh eyes to look at him, give him advice, and he doesn't have Krumrie as a position coach anymore.

I think many teams are getting away from the 4-3 because it is too hard to find ends that have both the speed to rush the QB and the bulk to take on blocks from 300+ lb. lineman to stop the run. 3-4 ends just need to take on blocks, almost like they have three tackles.

htismaqe
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Let's not forget he had to gain 20 lbs to be an NFL 4-3 end. Coming out of college he was too small to be an NFL end. I'm sure that cut down on his speed and energy. We'll see if he cuts down that he has enough speed to play outside on a 3-4. He has enough talent that they haven't given up on him. New fresh eyes to look at him, give him advice, and he doesn't have Krumrie as a position coach anymore.

I think many teams are getting away from the 4-3 because it is too hard to find ends that have both the speed to rush the QB and the bulk to take on blocks from 300+ lb. lineman to stop the run. 3-4 ends just need to take on blocks, almost like they have three tackles.

The extra weight may have contributed to all the little injuries as well.

King_Chief_Fan
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
The extra weight may have contributed to all the little injuries as well.

true

crazycoffey
05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I love how a discussion on Hali turned into one about Lenny the cool..... this place really blows somedays.

Hali came into this league as a tweener, and we made him a DE. He hasn't been a very great DE, certainly not last year, but what on God's green earth does that have anything to do with him converting to OLB? He may not make it, but this "he hasn't shown anything on the field, so he's maxed out" is just plain ignorant.

milkman
05-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I love how a discussion on Hali turned into one about Lenny the cool..... this place really blows somedays.

Hali came into this league as a tweener, and we made him a DE. He hasn't been a very great DE, certainly not last year, but what on God's green earth does that have anything to do with him converting to OLB? He may not make it, but this "he hasn't shown anything on the field, so he's maxed out" is just plain ignorant.

Hali hasn't failed to show anything on the field.

He did have two decent seasons, and suffered last year because he was moved to a position that he was terribly suited to play, and struggled through some minor injury issues.

Hali is a good player, but the scouting reports on him coming out of school were that he was just about maxed out on his potential, and that appears to be spot on.

It doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

It just means we shouldn't expect him to be a great player.

crazycoffey
05-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Hali hasn't failed to show anything on the field.

He did have two decent seasons, and suffered last year because he was moved to a position that he was terribly suited to play, and struggled through some minor injury issues.

Hali is a good player, but the scouting reports on him coming out of school were that he was just about maxed out on his potential, and that appears to be spot on.

It doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

It just means we shouldn't expect him to be a great player.

I better understand this post than the others, Just saying. I can agree with this one more, but since he hasn't played in the OLB postion we also can't really say he won't be great either. I'm optimistic of couse, but I also realize he may not even be good at it.....

Jilly
05-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Stupid question, but what position did he play two years ago....was it his rookie year he and Allen got all those sacks, or am I thinking of something else. Was it just the weight that was the difference between that year and the next?

crazycoffey
05-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Stupid question, but what position did he play two years ago....was it his rookie year he and Allen got all those sacks, or am I thinking of something else. Was it just the weight that was the difference between that year and the next?

He played DE on the opposite side of Jarred, the Left side, against the Right OT (mostly known as the lesser important side). With Jarred coming into his own, the offense had to focus more on him than Hali and that helped his production. When he shifted last year to the Right DE side and faced the mostly larger, more athletic Left Offensive Tackle, he also tried to gain weight and wasn't very effective.

He loses that extra weight, and gets to rush the QB from a bit of a different position/stance, his production could increase (possibly significantly) or he could be a total waste of oxygen if you asked the Meccamist.....

Count Zarth
05-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Hali didn't gain weight last year. I don't know where people come up with this stuff.

He also switched back to left end at the middle of last season and was horribly ineffective...

htismaqe
05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Hali didn't gain weight last year. I don't know where people come up with this stuff.

He also switched back to left end at the middle of last season and was horribly ineffective...

He gained weight between college and the draft...

sedated
10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I guess that fresh start worked out

Count Zarth
10-07-2010, 06:19 PM

So wise, this Dane McCloud.

Marcellus
10-07-2010, 06:28 PM

I have said this before.

I sat at a table with Hali at the 2009 KO luncheon. Hali told me face to face that he had gained weight to play OLB. The subject came up because I asked him about his thoughts on Haley's emphasis on the team losing weight that off-season (the notorious 700lbs lost)

Hali said he lost weight when he switched to RDE because they thought he needed to be quicker going against the LT. They (Herm and Gunther) told him he needed to use speed rather than power.

When he switched to OLB he had to gain back weight so all the talk about him losing weight simply isn't true.

This came directly from him with no reason to lie. Not some observation or stat line on his profile. Words from his mouth.

BossChief
10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Ive talked to Hali as well, and he told me he lied to you Marcellus. But Im not truly sure thats what he actually said because he isnt exactly easy to understand all the time.

Marcellus
10-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Ive talked to Hali as well, and he told me he lied to you Marcellus. But Im not truly sure thats what he actually said because he isnt exactly easy to understand all the time.

Ha. He is hard to understand. He was clear in what he was saying though.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Crow has been a huge part of your diet for years, so nothing will change.

Not on this one.

KC Jones
10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
This will never work... oh wait, what?!