PDA

View Full Version : Royals When's Hochevar Coming?

tboss27
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Anyone have knowledge about when KC plans on bringing him up? The guy is 5-0 w/ an ERA under 1.2 in Omaha. I understand we are on a roll right now and Ponson had a good outing last night, but how much longer will he be in the rotation if he continues to struggle?

noa
05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I think I read somwhere that if we keep him in Omaha until May 20th, we can delay his free agency by a year.

MoreLemonPledge
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I think I read somwhere that if we keep him in Omaha until May 20th, we can delay his free agency by a year.

Yep. He definitely won't be back before then.

eazyb81
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Late May, but honestly if Ponson keeps pitching well I don't see any rush to bring Hochevar up.

I think Hochevar is getting a bit too hyped up. Yes, his ERA is nice, but his K/BB is barely 2 and his K rate is not all that impressive. If he continues to get groundouts in the majors then he should be fine, but I'm not quite as sold on his performance this season as others seem to be.

CoMoChief
05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Late May, but honestly if Ponson keeps pitching well I don't see any rush to bring Hochevar up.

I think Hochevar is getting a bit too hyped up. Yes, his ERA is nice, but his K/BB is barely 2 and his K rate is not all that impressive. If he continues to get groundouts in the majors then he should be fine, but I'm not quite as sold on his performance this season as others seem to be.

HEY I GOT 2 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDS FOR YA............

:evil::evil::evil:SUCK IT!!!!!:evil::evil::evil:

Tripucka 2 Taylor
O-VER-RA-TED!

Screw Hochevar. Bring up Carlos Rosa instead.

alnorth
Its probably likely that Ponson would ultimately be the one replaced, but at this point its not as certain as it looked last week. I wouldnt be surprised if Davies ended up moving aside.

MoreLemonPledge
05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Its probably likely that Ponson would ultimately be the one replaced, but at this point its not as certain as it looked last week. I wouldnt be surprised if Davies ended up moving aside.

Nah, unless Davies really implodes, his upside is much higher than Ponson's. For that reason alone, they should leave him in.

Fish
05-07-2009, 04:44 PM
The Ears will be here soon enough. Obviously we rushed him the first time. I'd rather give him time and be sure before doing something rash. Especially when we're pitching pretty darn well without him. When a rotation is working as well as this, don't fuck with it until you have to....

Demonpenz
05-07-2009, 04:44 PM
have you tried jerking him off? That'll help

alnorth
05-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Nah, unless Davies really implodes, his upside is much higher than Ponson's. For that reason alone, they should leave him in.

Thats true if the decision had to be made today. I presume Davies will rebound, but my "not surprised" comment referred to Davies continuing to fall apart in his next start(s)

sedated
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

I read May 15th.

Most people seemed to think that Ponson last start was his last (before he did so well) and Hoch would be up on the 15th, but Nick Wright (sp?) on 810am said something about Ponson having 3 more starts and mentioned May 23rd.

eazyb81
05-07-2009, 04:52 PM
According to Rany, Hochevar could come up now and still have the extra year of service time.

Anyway, if you just count from the last day of the season and work backwards, the tipping point for Hochevar was May 4<SUP>th</SUP>. If the Royals had called him up before May 4<SUP>th</SUP>, then he would have qualified for free agency a year early. (This became a source of concern in the Jazayerli household when Gil Meche’s back acted up, and it looked like the Royals might need Hochevar to make Meche's next start – on May 3<SUP>rd</SUP>.) In other words, the Royals have no reason to keep Hochevar on the farm any longer purely from a service time standpoint.
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
There is the additional concern of trying to keep him from qualifying as a “super-two” player, a player who’s eligible for arbitration before he has three full years of service time. The math here is a little tougher to figure out, because the line that separates super-two players from the other players with 2+ years of service time moves from year to year. Generally, the dividing line falls between 120 and 140 days of service time. That means the Royals would need to keep Hochevar down on the farm for somewhere in the range of 5-7 more weeks.
<O:P></O:P>
This would be dumb, not only because the Royals need him, but because the benefits of avoid the super-two pale to the benefits of keeping a player out of free agency. If the player’s any good, then the couple extra million he’ll make that first year of arbitration is nothing compared to getting to keep a quality player for another season. If he’s not any good, then that first year of arbitration isn’t going to cost you much anyway.
<O:P></O:P>
So root for a slugfest tonight – the Mariners are cooperating by sending Carlos Silva to the mound – and hope that the Royals pull out the game despite, not because of, Ponson. And maybe we’ll finally get around to the rotation we should have started the season with in the first place.

Tripucka 2 Taylor
05-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Fuck Hochevar. I bet my left nut that Danny Duffy could come up to the bigs right now and outpitch that loser.

DeepSouth
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I predict he'll stay in Omaha until one of the existing five starters gets hurt.

Delano
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Fuck Hochevar. I bet my left nut that Danny Duffy could come up to the bigs right now and outpitch that loser.

The latest Marlboro_Chief incarnation ^

Rigodan
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
According to Rany, Hochevar could come up now and still have the extra year of service time.

Nope. He also said a year was considered 172 days or something and there are 182 in actuality. He would be fine this year but those 10 extra days next year would make him eligible earlier again so you have to take those into account. That's why he won't be back until the end of May.

KChiefs1
05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
My question is....when will they bring up Jeff Bianchi for Mike Aviles?

Mr. Krab
05-07-2009, 06:08 PM
My question is....when will they bring up Jeff Bianchi for Mike Aviles?
They won't. I think Gordon comes back and starts at 3rd and they move Teahen over and that pushes Aviles to the bench. What the hell, Teahen has played just about every other position, might as well go for short now.

wild1
05-07-2009, 06:20 PM
It was said last week sometime that his velocity is dropping a lot later in his outings, past the 50 pitch mark or so. They don't think his conditioning is up to par right now and are bringing him along slowly.

He may be able to smoke guys in AAA just on his raw talent, but if he needs to build up more stamina (no manny jokes here, sorry) then let him do that.

eazyb81
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Hochevar's line tonight:

8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 9 K, 0 BB

Domination

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM

I concur. I've been jonesin for Hoch like anyone else but IF Ponson can be at least pretty consistant why hurry.

On the other hand if Ponson sucks again next time out I'll want Hoch up again.... because I'M ACTUALLY GETTING SPOILED AND EXPECTING NEAR PERFECTION FROM THE ROYALS!!!!! HOW 'BOUT THAT SHIT!!!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Hochevar's line tonight:

8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 9 K, 0 BB

Domination

So if Ponson/Davies/Bannister work out over the length of the season Hoch will be a great added arm down the stretch... it'd be like making a big trade for a good starter without giving up anyone.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
It'll be sometime in May - it's masturbation month.

shakesthecat
05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
DJF is right.

It's a long season. You can never have too many decent starting pitchers.

They'll all get their chances

alnorth
05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
If Hochevar keeps that up, then even if Davies/Ponson/Bannister all continue to be respectable, something has to give. Life's not always fair, you could be a good pitcher that would start for 80% of teams, but if your team has 5 guys better than you, then you go to the bullpen until someone is hurt.

KChiefs1
05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Pitches-Strikes: Hochevar 97-75
Groundouts-flyouts: Hochevar 14-1
Strikeouts: Hochevar 9
BB: Hochevar 0

Hochevar's ERA is now 0.90

Deberg_1990
05-07-2009, 09:32 PM
could we bring Hochevar up and start him in the bullpen at first?

SPATCH
05-07-2009, 09:43 PM

typically you don't bring up a starter and immediately put him in the pen...

i don't think it would be beneficial to him either... he needs to be getting starts every five days

ChiTown
05-07-2009, 09:45 PM

No - He's a starting pitcher. He needs to be in the rotation be the end of the month.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2009, 09:46 PM
No - He's a starting pitcher. He needs to be in the rotation be the end of the month.

What do we do with Ponson and Bannister then? They are both pitching decent. Decent enough to win and keep their team in the game.

SPATCH
05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
What do we do with Ponson and Bannister then? They are both pitching decent. Decent enough to win and keep their team in the game.

if hillman is happy with ponson... then hoch should stay down and keep getting starts

ChiTown
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Question should be....What happens to Davies? Kid has been really bad since his first two starts. It's actually a decent problem to have.

alnorth
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM

I think you have to throw Davies in that mix too. Come hell or high water, unless Hochevar falls apart the next couple starts he is coming up soon.

I'd say Bannister has the inside track on not being the odd man out, but they should all 3 be looked at as pitching to keep their jobs. If Ponson turns back into a pumpkin to show his last start was a fluke, then it should be easy. If Davies continues to suck, then eventually we gotta let him figure it out a few miles north while Hoch becomes the new #3.