PDA

View Full Version : Football Any football coaches on Chiefs Planet?

soundmind
05-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I have questions.

While I have myself been around the sport since a very young age, I also had a career ender of a knee bang-up my freshman year of college, which I did not handle well - and thus ceased intimate contact with the sport somewhat.

I have been an obsessive fan of the game since about 8 years old, and my passion and interest have really grown lately to a high that I wish I'd of had when I played. What really struck me lately was that my intrigue seems to be drawing more to the mental aspects of the game. I'm thinking all the time about drills and preparation that I would work on if I were running a team, or coaching a particular position. Things I believe in philosophically when it comes to the game of football.

In short, I've been giving serious consideration into starting down this path as a profession....and I'm not 100% sure how this happens....short of showing up at the local HS and offering my time.

I didn't get a chance to really establish a relationship with the college coaches in my opinion (I was there such a short time) so my immediate options at that level seem limited. I don't really want to coach high school ball, b/c as I understand it, the origin of a coach can often determine his professional path. And I would like to eventually be a position coach (possibly a DC), at least at the collegiate level. Plus I want to learn as much as possible, and HS lifting and drills are pretty simplified typically. I think I would stand to gain the most from being around the college game for a number of years.

I realize that the end goal is a long time off, but I'm only 29 and I'm more than willing to put in the hours and the energy it takes to make that happen. I'm of the rare breed that LOVES watching film and actually enjoyed practice, it was devastating when I walked away. I think I'd make a great coach...basically, I'm wondering where you break in...how do you get in the door?

Thus far I've been told by some former teammates that I should look for Grad Assistance Programs with a good team, but I assume those go to former players for said university - the fraternal order is strong.

I'm also in a unique spot to make the necessary steps for a career change, and I feel the time is now. No sense in waiting to chase down those things you love.

Any and all help is more than appreciated.

*small tangent: I'm geeking up for Training Camp this year, anyone going?

Thig Lyfe
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi, I'm Herm Edwards.

mikey23545
05-08-2009, 03:28 AM
I don't know about coaches, but there about 14 general managers that post here.

Jenson71
05-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I had a winning percentage over .900 at Notre Dame in NCAA 08 after a 24 year career.

Seriously though, good luck!

Tiger's Fan
05-08-2009, 04:48 AM

This

Pioli Zombie
05-08-2009, 05:18 AM
"I like baseball. Maybe I could be a general manager of a baseball team? You know, make trades and stuff like that"
- George

"You know they usually give those jobs to people who have been in the game for a long time"
- Jerry

"That doesn't seem fair"

- George
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
05-08-2009, 05:55 AM

:LOL: At least

Sully
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I am a HS coach. It's as simple as you said. Simply call high schools and offer your time. I volunteered for a year before proving my abilities and getting paid for it.

Lono
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm also a coach, HS though. I got my first job from my old HS coach. Moved up the latter after i was hired. I agree with Sully you just need to make the phone calls and get your name out there. If you volunteer first and work your butt off it will get noticed. Head coaches appreciate hard work. Not all assistants know how to work.

soundmind
05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I am a HS coach. It's as simple as you said. Simply call high schools and offer your time. I volunteered for a year before proving my abilities and getting paid for it.

Do you also teach at the school? I was thinking about that, and my biggest concern is that while I have a BFA in Art & Design, I'm not certified to teach. I was hoping to soak up a lot from a good program, and I saw one of my old HS position coaches, Royce Boehm was predictably amazing as a head coach.

Are the high school and education budgets seeing the same crunch the rest of the economy is? I was searching around, but I haven't found much in the way of job boards...

Brock
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey, our head coach started out as a golf coach. Our GM was a guy who lucked into a conversation with Bill Belichick and they hit if off. Anything's possible.

Buck
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I coached a youth football league from my Junior year in High School on for about 4 years.

It takes patience man.

I don't think you can walk onto a High School and get a job, you may want to volunteer at the youth football level first.

Mr. Krab
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

buddha
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I've coached youth football for six years now. There is no better training ground, but if you can get eleven 8 year olds doing something close to a play at the same time, you can do almost anything.

Moving to high school is a bit more complex since most coaches at that level need to teach as well, and that involves teaching certificates.

Coaching is a very cool thing. It impacts lives. I remember all of my old coaches, whereas I have forgotten many other people from my past.

Jenson71
05-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I co-coached 6-7th grade girls softball and we won the city championship. How bout that!?

Skip Towne
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I co-coached 6-7th grade girls softball and we won the city championship. How bout that!?

That's swell!!

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi, I'm Herm Edwards.

I am Herm Edwards

wutamess
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
That's swell!!

But it's fuggin Iowa!

Dave Lane
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I have questions.

While I have myself been around the sport since a very young age, I also had a career ender of a knee bang-up my freshman year of college, which I did not handle well - and thus ceased intimate contact with the sport somewhat.

I have been an obsessive fan of the game since about 8 years old, and my passion and interest have really grown lately to a high that I wish I'd of had when I played. What really struck me lately was that my intrigue seems to be drawing more to the mental aspects of the game. I'm thinking all the time about drills and preparation that I would work on if I were running a team, or coaching a particular position. Things I believe in philosophically when it comes to the game of football.

In short, I've been giving serious consideration into starting down this path as a profession....and I'm not 100% sure how this happens....short of showing up at the local HS and offering my time.

I didn't get a chance to really establish a relationship with the college coaches in my opinion (I was there such a short time) so my immediate options at that level seem limited. I don't really want to coach high school ball, b/c as I understand it, the origin of a coach can often determine his professional path. And I would like to eventually be a position coach (possibly a DC), at least at the collegiate level. Plus I want to learn as much as possible, and HS lifting and drills are pretty simplified typically. I think I would stand to gain the most from being around the college game for a number of years.

I realize that the end goal is a long time off, but I'm only 29 and I'm more than willing to put in the hours and the energy it takes to make that happen. I'm of the rare breed that LOVES watching film and actually enjoyed practice, it was devastating when I walked away. I think I'd make a great coach...basically, I'm wondering where you break in...how do you get in the door?

Thus far I've been told by some former teammates that I should look for Grad Assistance Programs with a good team, but I assume those go to former players for said university - the fraternal order is strong.

I'm also in a unique spot to make the necessary steps for a career change, and I feel the time is now. No sense in waiting to chase down those things you love.

Any and all help is more than appreciated.

*small tangent: I'm geeking up for Training Camp this year, anyone going?

Volunteer at a High School or better yet a college team. Pester them to death is they don't take you. Offer to pay them an hourly wage to cleanup, scrub toilets or whatever. Attack whatever they give you with massive enthusiasm and you WILL get noticed. Once you have a year or so as a flunky under you rbelt (all the while reading everything you can get your hands on) it will just happen. Don't force it just one day a "god a zone blitz right then would have be devastating" will slip out and your in :)

Sully
05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Do you also teach at the school? I was thinking about that, and my biggest concern is that while I have a BFA in Art & Design, I'm not certified to teach. I was hoping to soak up a lot from a good program, and I saw one of my old HS position coaches, Royce Boehm was predictably amazing as a head coach.

Are the high school and education budgets seeing the same crunch the rest of the economy is? I was searching around, but I haven't found much in the way of job boards...

My first year volunteering, I was basically hired on by the district as a "sub" without ever subbing. Later I got a job in the district working as an IA at the alternative school. I just got certified, resigned from that staff, and am now looking for a school to teach and coach at. (have a huge interview this afternoon)

I knew I'd like coaching, but I can't imagine not doing it, now. One thing, though, be prepared to soak up as much info as possible, and be ready to fall on your face, at times. My main coaching mentor always tells me to be true to my philosophy, because there are only two types of coaches; those that have been fired, and those who haven't been fired, yet.

Bearcat2005
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM

I am a coach and a teacher and if you are serious about teaching and coaching you can get certified in a semester or two while you teach. Many schools offer this opportunity.