PDA

View Full Version : Royals Big Fantasy Trade (opinions requested)

DJay23
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Ok, so the guy in my league who stole Greinke from me the pick before I was going to take him has offered me the following trade:

Greinke and BJ Upton

for

Longoria and Josh Johnson

I'm not inclined to give up either Johnson or Longoria, but I want Greinke.

Here is the rest of my line up, then his:

Joe Mauer
(Min - C)
1B Adrián González
(SD - 1B)
2B Dustin Pedroia
(Bos - 2B)
3B Evan Longoria
(TB - 3B)
SS Jimmy Rollins
(Phi - SS)
OF Brandon Inge
(Det - C,3B,OF)
OF Carlos Quentin
(CWS - OF)
OF Vernon Wells
(Tor - OF)
Util Jorge Cantú
(Fla - 1B,3B)
BN Magglio Ordóńez
(Det - OF)
BN Felipe López
(Ari - 2B,3B,SS,OF)
BN Ryan Ludwick
(StL - OF)
BN Jim Thome
(CWS - Util)

SP Jake Peavy
(SD - SP)
SP Adam Wainwright
(StL - SP)
SP Josh Johnson
(Fla - SP)
RP Brian Wilson
(SF - RP)
RP Andrew Bailey
(Oak - RP)
P Kevin Millwood
(Tex - SP)
P Joe Saunders
(LAA - SP)
BN Aaron Harang
(Cin - SP)
DL John Lackey
(LAA - SP) DL

C Geovany Soto
(ChC - C)
1B Albert Pujols
(StL - 1B)
2B Ian Kinsler
(Tex - 2B)
3B Russell Branyan
(Sea - 1B,3B)
SS J.J. Hardy
(Mil - SS)
OF Carlos Lee
(Hou - OF)
OF Curtis Granderson
(Det - OF)
OF Corey Hart
(Mil - OF)
Util B.J. Upton
(TB - OF)
BN Adrián Béltre
(Sea - 3B)
BN Mike Cameron
(Mil - OF)
BN Kosuke Fukudome
(ChC - OF)

SP Félix Hernández
(Sea - SP)
SP Zack Greinke
(KC - SP)
SP Erik Bedard
(Sea - SP)
RP Mariano Rivera
(NYY - RP)
RP Matt Capps
(Pit - RP)
P Mark Buehrle
(CWS - SP)
P Chris Volstad
(Fla - SP)
BN Justin Verlander
(Det - SP)
BN Max Scherzer
(Ari - SP,RP)
DL Chien-Ming Wang
(NYY - SP) DL

RJ
05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't make that trade. You're giving up the best (fantasy) player in the trade in Longoria and getting back the worst (Upton).

You trade partner is hoping to take advantage of your fan-ness.

Old Dog
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I would do it before he changes his mind....you can fill in Longoria's spot with Inge and still be OK @ 3B.

Old Dog
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm NOT saying Inge is going to approach Longorias #'s FWIW, but Longoria isn't going to maintain this pace either (not that Grienke will)

CoMoChief
05-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I just traded Vlad for Chipper Jones straight up.

I need pitching BAAAAAAAAD. Most my pitchers are on DL, or the ones that aren't, aren't getting too many SV opportunities, or are just sucking ass.

C - Jason Varitek
1B - Carlos Pena
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Aramis Ramirez
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - JD Drew
UTL - Chipper Jones

BN - David Ortiz DH
BN - Hank Blaylock 1B,3B,DH
BN - Elvis Andrus SS
BN - Derek Lee 1B
BN - Mark Teahen 3B,OF
BN - Aaron Hill 2B

SP (DL) - DiceK Matsusaka
SP (DL) - John Smoltz
SP (DL) - Kelvin Escobar
SP - Randy Johnson (sucks)
SP - Edinson Volquez (only real hope I have right now)
SP - Phillip Hughes (hope he lights a fire, that ballpark doesn't help him though)
RP - Ramon Ramirez (Boston setup guy - former Royal, still pissed we traded him)
RP - Kerry Wood (CLE sucks)
RP - Joe Nathan (MIN sucks)
RP - Joakim Soria (hasn't pitched as much as I would have liked but that hopefully will come)

Think theres anyone on my bench that I could trade for Greinke?

I'm trying to get Ichiro in a pkg deal with David Ortiz and Chipper Jones

DJay23
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I just traded Vlad for Chipper Jones straight up.

I need pitching BAAAAAAAAD. Most my pitchers are on DL, or the ones that aren't, aren't getting too many SV opportunities, or are just sucking ass.

C - Jason Varitek
1B - Carlos Pena
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Aramis Ramirez
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - JD Drew
UTL - Chipper Jones

BN - David Ortiz DH
BN - Hank Blaylock 1B,3B,DH
BN - Elvis Andrus SS
BN - Derek Lee 1B
BN - Mark Teahen 3B,OF
BN - Aaron Hill 2B

SP (DL) - DiceK Matsusaka
SP - Randy Johnson (sucks)
SP - Edinson Volquez (only real hope I have right now)
SP - Phillip Hughes (hope he lights a fire, that ballpark doesn't help him though)
RP - Ramon Ramirez (Boston setup guy - former Royal, still pissed we traded him)
RP - Kerry Wood (CLE sucks)
RP - Joe Nathan (MIN sucks)
RP - Joakim Soria (hasn't pitched as much as I would have liked but that hopefully will come)

Think theres anyone on my bench that I could trade for Greinke?

I'm trying to get Ichiro in a pkg deal with David Ortiz and Chipper Jones

I kind of have the same situation. I have Lackey coming off the DL soon which will shore up my pitching. right now my team is very hitter heavy and weak on pitching.

He is trying to take advantage of my fanhood, and that's fine with me. The other side of the coin is that I would love to have Greinke on my team and root for him full bore every week.

DJay23
05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I would do it before he changes his mind....you can fill in Longoria's spot with Inge and still be OK @ 3B.

It's funny but I was shopping Inge last week. He has a lot of value with that catcher availability. No one bit though and now his production dropped way off this week.

carlos3652
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I just traded Inge and Doug Davis for Meche and Lowe....

Inge was rotting on my bench and I need pitching help...

C- Martinez
1b - Howard
2b - Cano
3b - Longoria
SS - M. Young
OF - Crawford
OF - Bay
OF - Hunter
Utility - Arod
B - Lind
B - Pence
B - Felipe lopez

SP - Grienke, Millwood, Meche, Saunders, Danks, Verlander, Lowe,
RP - Papelbon, Fuentes, Capps, Sherill, Ziegler

Chief Chief
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
There's a reason why they call it "fantasy"...

MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE IN YOUR VERY OWN FANTASY WORLD!!

DJ's left nut
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Depends entirely on how you view BJ Upton.

If you see a guy that can get back to his 25 HR ways of 2007 or his power binge of the 2008 playoffs, you take that trade without a second thought.

If you think Upton is just a base-stealer, like he was during the regular season in 2008 (and a base-stealer that will K 180 times at that), then you don't.

I virtually stole Upton at the beginning of the season so I'm going to ride him out, but I think you'll probably get something like 13 HRs and 45 SBs out of him. I don't think I'd take it, not with his GB/FB ratio being as low as it is. Somethings just not right with his swing and it's keeping him from generating the backspin/lift he needs to be even a consistent doubles hitter, let alone HR guy.

RJ
05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I kind of have the same situation. I have Lackey coming off the DL soon which will shore up my pitching. right now my team is very hitter heavy and weak on pitching.

He is trying to take advantage of my fanhood, and that's fine with me. The other side of the coin is that I would love to have Greinke on my team and root for him full bore every week.

I agree, it is fun to have players you like and root for on your fantasy teams. I try not to take it into consideration when trading, but that's hard to not do.

Hoover
05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Look Greinke is a stud, but even stud SP don't win 25 games. He's got 6 wins which probably means he has another 12 wins in him for the rest of the year. Don't over pay for a SP. I'd rather have Longoria and Josh Johnson than Zach.

Hoover
05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
See I would rather have two Josh Johnson type of guys than one Greinke.

Here is my fantasy team.

C- McCann, Pierzynski
1st - Garrett Atkins
2nd - Brandon Phillips
3rd - David Wright
SS - JJ Hardy
OF - Markakis
OF - Braun
OF - Ibanez
U - Burrell

Bench: McCann (Hurt), Delgado, Justin Upton

It blows having to carry two catchers, but AJ has been on fire so the injury to McCann has not been that bad. The only weakness that I'm concerned with is at first base. I picked up Delgado recently, but who knows

Now my pitching staff is as follows

Dan Haren
Josh Johnson
Félix Hernández
Liriano
Jaba Chamberlain
Clayton Kershaw
Kevin Slowey
Gavin Floyd
Heath Bell
Joe Nathan

My philosophy is fantasy baseball is not to draft or trade for number one pictures like Santana, Cole Hammels, CC, and others. Instead i like to have #2 and #3 type pictures. I try and get young guys in their mid twenties who can strike people out. Greinke fits that profile and I would have loved to draft the guy, but I never trade away the farm for a big time SP. So instead of trading for Greinke, I'd be trading for a guy like Ricky Nolasco who's had a tough start or someone like Liriano who is bound to get hot.

Now before the season started I traded Nolasco and Kerry Wood for Ibanez and Atkins. That deal has worked out well for me, but I still would love to have Nolasco on my team.

Its difficult for a SP to be consistent through an entire season. Maybe Greinke is going to have a 25 win season, he has the stuff, but its so rare you can't count on it. So maybe you need to be looking at dealing the super hot Longoria for a picture like Liriano and a struggling stud.

Most offensive players score the majority of their points in a third of the season. Smart players buy and sell at the right time. I was laughed at last year when I traded Berkmen and Hernández at the deadline last year. Selling when their value was high before they started to slump netted me some lesser known but quality pitching, and I got them to thrown in a disgruntled Manny in the deal right before he was traded to the Dodgers.

I walked through the playoffs to my third straight championship.

Risk, Reward, and Timing.