PDA

View Full Version : Life Tonight I gotta cut loose, footloose

Chiefnj2
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

1 hr 28 mins ago

FINDLAY, Ohio A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

SNR
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
D fuckin' C

loochy
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
:spock:

Some people are dumbasses.

Mr. Kotter
05-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Washington DC and the Holy Lands.....in 3....2....1.....

Rooster
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
There is only one way to settle this. Get two tractors and play chicken. It's the only way.

FAX
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Idiots.

I will never understand why certain churches think music is devil's work. Where do they think the need to write, perform, listen, and dance to music came from? Does not the universe abound with the music of the spheres? It has to be the stupidest doctrine ever.

Ignorant, intolerant dumbasses.

FAX

Demonpenz
05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
There is only one way to settle this. Get two tractors and play chicken. It's the only way.

rooster chicken footloose i see what you did there..

Thig Lyfe
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I wish they had banned proms in my school. Then I wouldn't have been such a looooooser.

:sulk:

DeepSouth
05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Those other 83 students should quit going to school until Frost is allowed to return and graduate with the rest of his class.

Coogs
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Seems simple enough. :shrug:

MOhillbilly
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
purdy mo? anyone? anyone?

JOhn
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I wish they had banned proms in my school. Then I wouldn't have been such a looooooser.

:sulk:

No, I'm pretty sure you'd still be a loser. :shrug:

Sully
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Where is Chris Penn when you need him?

Mr. Kotter
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
purdy mo? anyone? anyone?

Yup....

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/20/us/purdy-journal-ban-on-school-dances-includes-missouri-waltz.html?sec=&spon=

July 20, 1988
Purdy Journal; Ban on School Dances Includes Missouri Waltz
By DIRK JOHNSON, Special to the New York Times

It causes fist fights in school, angry glares in church, conflict at home. ''I won't say it caused my divorce exactly,'' said Karen Robberson, ''but it surely didn't do any good.''

It all started with a question: May I have this dance?

School dances are banned, and always have been, here in this town of 967 people in southwestern Missouri, where social conservatism and fundamentalist Christianity are the accepted ways.

For generations students have asked the school board to lift the ban on school dances. Now the students have sued. A lawsuit in Federal District Court contends that the ban, based on the view that dancing is sinful, unconstitutionally endorses certain religious beliefs. A judge in Springfield, Mo., about 35 miles northeast of Purdy, is expected to rule on the issue in the next few weeks.

''It's got everybody hating everybody,'' said Ms. Robberson, 35 years old, whose family favors school dances and whose former husband's family does not.

The students at Purdy High School have had proms for years. They just have to leave town for them. This year they drove to Monett, about 12 miles away.....

MOhillbilly
05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
got leveled by a tornado acouple years ago.

Radar Chief
05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Where is Chris Penn when you need him?

And Kevin Bacon.

El Jefe
05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Fundamentalist Baptist school? It sounds more like a jail, I'm conservative but those rules are insane, music is something I can't live without, well and women too ;).

FAX
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Slackjawed, imbecilic, drooling neanderthals.

FAX

greg63
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
As a Christian myself I find the enforcing of the schools rules to be a bit over the top regarding activity outside the school itself. This is still America, and if the Fundamental Baptists attending that school have not already instilled their own values of right and wrong into their youth by the time they're teens then I would suggest that having to abide by those rules outside their educational environment isn't going to change that as far as the dancing and rock music is concerned.

seclark
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Idiots.
Ignorant, intolerant dumbasses.

FAX

Slackjawed, imbecilic, drooling neanderthals.

FAX

quit beating around the bush, fax...how do you really feel about this?
sec

greg63
05-08-2009, 12:57 PM
2 Samuel 6:14 (King James Version)

<SUP id=en-KJV-8172 class=versenum value="14">14</SUP>And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

MOhillbilly
05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
2 Samuel 6:14 (King James Version)

<SUP class=versenum id=en-KJV-8172 value="14">14</SUP>And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

is 'girded with a linen ephod' akin to the codpieces in ACWO?

Mr. Kotter
05-08-2009, 01:01 PM
got leveled by a tornado acouple years ago.

God's wrath?

:hmmm:

greg63
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
is 'girded with a linen ephod' akin to the codpieces in ACWO?

Not sure, but I'm pretty dumb. What is a codpieces in ACWO??

However, here is what some Bible scholars believe:

On this occasion David laid aside his imperial purple, and put on a plain linen ephod, which was light and convenient for dancing, and was used in religious exercises by those who were no priests.

It is also believed that he was half naked, if, perhaps, that is what you were referring to. :D

Otter
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Did anyone see my post in the M.A.S.H. related thread yesterday mentioning Kevin Bacon and "Footloose"?

I am as prophetic as ever! If there's anything you want to know just ask.

MOhillbilly
05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Not sure, but I'm pretty dumb. What is a codpieces in ACWO??

However, here is what some Bible scholars believe:

It is also believed that he was half naked, if, perhaps, that is what you were referring to. :D

http://www.reelstreets.com/clockwork_orange/cw003.jpg

outside the pants undies worn in A Clockwork Orange.

greg63
05-08-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.reelstreets.com/clockwork_orange/cw003.jpg

outside the pants undies worn in A Clockwork Orange.

ROFL

I'm kinda doubting it, but like I said: "I'm pretty dumb".

Mr. Kotter
05-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Did anyone see my post in the M.A.S.H. related thread yesterday mentioning Kevin Bacon and "Footloose"?

I am as prophetic as ever! If there's anything you want to know just ask.

How long before the Chief's bring home a Lomabardi trophy? :shrug:

:drool:

acesn8s
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
May God smite the school for it's dumbassery.

Otter
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM

How long before the Chief's bring home a Lomabardi trophy? :shrug:

:drool:

The Mayan calendar is predicting we may not exist beyond 2012.

Now doubt Yellowstone will erupt jettisoning the kicker that shall go unnamed's lifeless corpse into Indianapolis Stadium with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl altering the trajectory of the would be winning field goal for the Chiefs in one final act of tragic irony for Chiefs fans before we're wiped out of existence.

DJJasonp
05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
The Mayan calendar is predicting we may not exist beyond 2012.

Now doubt Yellowstone will erupt jettisoning the kicker that shall go unnamed's lifeless corpse into Indianapolis Stadium with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl altering the trajectory of the would be winning field goal for the Chiefs in one final act of tragic irony for Chiefs fans before we're wiped out of existence.

Calendars! All along it was calendars that ruled the world! :p

DJJasonp
05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
by the way....sarah jessica parker also co-starred in footloose....which reminds me....

A friend of mine swears that the main guy (not Val Kilmer) in the movie Real Genius....is the same person as Sarah Jessica Parker (before the "change").

I submit for your review:

AustinChief
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Fundamentalists are a fracking embarassment...

Pretty certain they are about two steps away from having this dress code...

http://www.hyscience.com/burka.jpg

Otter
05-08-2009, 02:33 PM
by the way....sarah jessica parker also co-starred in footloose....which reminds me....

A friend of mine swears that the main guy (not Val Kilmer) in the movie Real Genius....is the same person as Sarah Jessica Parker (before the "change").

I submit for your review:

She's weird. There's times she can look smoking then others when it's like "WTF happened since last week".

Yes, I've seen several episodes of Sex in the City and I'm not proud of it.

seclark
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Fundamentalists are a fracking embarassment...

Pretty certain they are about two steps away from having this dress code...

http://www.hyscience.com/burka.jpg

sec

BWillie
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
What do students at Mid Nazarene do? I know it's forbidden to dance publicly. Do they not have homecoming dances, or any dances at all?

Chaunceythe3rd
05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
The kid signed on to the rules, then he should abide by them. And learn a valuable life lesson: Don't ever sign or agree to anything that abridges your personal freedoms unless you are willing to live with the consequences.

gblowfish
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
If he gets really drunk and laid, he probably won't mind getting suspended for a couple weeks.

KCChiefsMan
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
another reason why I hate church people

Pitt Gorilla
05-08-2009, 04:28 PM
What could possibly be wrong with rock music and dancing? I would add girls to the list, but I imagine the homos at that school play by a different set of rules.