PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone have an invisible fence for their dog?

Fat Elvis
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
How effective are these things?

I have a cockapoo. He can be kind of fiesty. My big worry is that he gets a running start, jumps through the fence and then we don't see him again because he won't come back in.

The wife has started back to work and we would like for him to be able to go outside on his own (he would really like that) without someone coming home from lunch to let him out.

He currently has a small fenced in area on the patio that he can go out onto, but he isn't too thrilled about that.

Fish
05-10-2009, 12:50 AM
How effective are these things?

I have a cockapoo. He can be kind of fiesty. My big worry is that he gets a running start, jumps through the fence and then we don't see him again because he won't come back in.

The wife has started back to work and we would like for him to be able to go outside on his own (he would really like that) without someone coming home from lunch to let him out.

He currently has a small fenced in area on the patio that he can go out onto, but he isn't too thrilled about that.

Pretty much. I don't have one myself, but 2 of my friends do, and they gave up on it because their dogs were just so persistent they kept running on through it despite the pain.

ChiefaRoo
05-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I have one. They really only work well in conjunction with an actual fence. The invisible fence keeps them from digging out or slipping through a high spot. My dog is really athletic and smart though. It might work on another breed of dog.

Jenson71
05-10-2009, 12:58 AM
My grandma had one for her dog. As far as I know, the dog never ran away. I think she said it worked well.

FAX
05-10-2009, 01:11 AM
We have one, Mr. Fat Elvis. One time while we were away, lightning struck the wire outside and it traveled through the wire and into the house blowing the little controller box inside the garage to hell and gone and about 200 million little pieces. Strands of wire were hanging from the garage door tracks and there were little plastic shards all over the damn place. Also, several electrical outlets inside the house were fried and the dogs acted very strange for a few days.

FAX

Silock
05-10-2009, 02:44 AM
I have an invisible fence. It's called "disciplined dog." Someone forgot to lock the front door the other and it blew wide open. The dog was just sitting inside, waiting for permission to go out. The cats, however, did not... Never figured I'd have to chase a cat around outside over the dog.

runnercyclist
05-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Training the beast initially with TIF is the key. After the training period (it's kinda cruel), you dont even need the damn thing. The dogs won't go near the spot they got the shit shocked out of them.

Eventually both collars broke for out dogs and we never replaced them and they never went past the "shock point".

I've known many other people who didnt train as recomended and it was worthless.

Bwana
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
It depends on the dog(s) but I have had mixed results. I picked up a doberman about a year ago and that beast is a digging machine. I went over to the local ag store and picked up an electric fence set up. I had to let the yard get back to normal. I ran three fast strands of wire off the box and the problem was solved. I think the whole system only ran me around $55.

phillip
05-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Definitely depends on the dog. If you have a dog that's always looking to take off, it won't work.

If you have the type of dog that doesn't run away from you whenever he's not on a leash, they work really great. After you have them trained, you don't need the collars anymore.

StcChief
05-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I have an invisible Dog for my fence. It works great.

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I have an invisible fence. It's called "disciplined dog." Someone forgot to lock the front door the other and it blew wide open. The dog was just sitting inside, waiting for permission to go out. The cats, however, did not... Never figured I'd have to chase a cat around outside over the dog.

Heh. Speaking of chasing cats, I had a wedding to go to in Lawrence, so I thought I would stay with my aunt who lives there. She was out of town, but her 18 year old daughter was there and agreed that I could stay. Anyway, so I roll into town and call her to let her know I'm coming. I leave a voice mail for her. Before I finish recording the voicemail, she texts me this, "I'm at the movies. Let yourself in. Can you please let [dog] out." How the FUCK can she text so fast??? OK whatever, gotta let the dog out. So I get the suitcase out and get everything I need for the next day.

I go to let the dog out. I get the dog, open the door, let the dog out, close the door. I hear the wife say, "I want to come!" As soon as she opens the door ZOOOM! the cat is gone. MOTHER FUCKER. So my wife and I chase this goddamn cat all over the neighborhood in Lawrence (which is about 50 yards from a busy intersection). It was dark of course, so my dumbass is shining a flashlight in the neighbors yard and running around like I stole something looking for this fucking cat. Finally, the cat decided it had enough and strolled back inside after about half a damn hour.

I told my cousin about it the next morning and I get this response, "Oh that's OK. She goes out whenever she wants. She'll be fine." :cuss: :banghead:

Jenson71
05-10-2009, 10:27 AM
18yo? pics plz

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 10:29 AM
18yo? pics plz

How about no. She's 19 now, but still....no.

Jenson71
05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Just PM me.

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Just PM me.

What are you going to give me?

Silock
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Heh. Speaking of chasing cats, I had a wedding to go to in Lawrence, so I thought I would stay with my aunt who lives there. She was out of town, but her 18 year old daughter was there and agreed that I could stay. Anyway, so I roll into town and call her to let her know I'm coming. I leave a voice mail for her. Before I finish recording the voicemail, she texts me this, "I'm at the movies. Let yourself in. Can you please let [dog] out." How the FUCK can she text so fast??? OK whatever, gotta let the dog out. So I get the suitcase out and get everything I need for the next day.

I go to let the dog out. I get the dog, open the door, let the dog out, close the door. I hear the wife say, "I want to come!" As soon as she opens the door ZOOOM! the cat is gone. MOTHER FUCKER. So my wife and I chase this goddamn cat all over the neighborhood in Lawrence (which is about 50 yards from a busy intersection). It was dark of course, so my dumbass is shining a flashlight in the neighbors yard and running around like I stole something looking for this fucking cat. Finally, the cat decided it had enough and strolled back inside after about half a damn hour.

I told my cousin about it the next morning and I get this response, "Oh that's OK. She goes out whenever she wants. She'll be fine." :cuss: :banghead:

LOL that BLOWS

bevischief
05-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Heh. Speaking of chasing cats, I had a wedding to go to in Lawrence, so I thought I would stay with my aunt who lives there. She was out of town, but her 18 year old daughter was there and agreed that I could stay. Anyway, so I roll into town and call her to let her know I'm coming. I leave a voice mail for her. Before I finish recording the voicemail, she texts me this, "I'm at the movies. Let yourself in. Can you please let [dog] out." How the **** can she text so fast??? OK whatever, gotta let the dog out. So I get the suitcase out and get everything I need for the next day.

I go to let the dog out. I get the dog, open the door, let the dog out, close the door. I hear the wife say, "I want to come!" As soon as she opens the door ZOOOM! the cat is gone. MOTHER ****ER. So my wife and I chase this goddamn cat all over the neighborhood in Lawrence (which is about 50 yards from a busy intersection). It was dark of course, so my dumbass is shining a flashlight in the neighbors yard and running around like I stole something looking for this ****ing cat. Finally, the cat decided it had enough and strolled back inside after about half a damn hour.

My wife's grandma puts hers on chain. First cat I ever saw on a chain...
ROFL

PastorMikH
05-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Had an invisible underground fence for the stupid spaniel (cocker for those who haven't had one yet) we used to have. Worked great! Dog was ball crazy and would chase a ball anywhere - except when it crossed the burried wire, she would skid to a stop if she realized she was getting too close.

BTW, I DO NOT recommend renting and running a lawn aerator in the general area you burried the wire. You'll never guess how I arrived at this knowledge.

Reerun_KC
05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Had an invisible underground fence for the stupid spaniel (cocker for those who haven't had one yet) we used to have. Worked great! Dog was ball crazy and would chase a ball anywhere - except when it crossed the burried wire, she would skid to a stop if she realized she was getting too close.

BTW, I DO NOT recommend renting and running a lawn aerator in the general area you burried the wire. You'll never guess how I arrived at this knowledge.

ROFL

Perfect! That is priceless!

Sandyskc
05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
The people next door had one and their dogs spent most of the time in my yard. They would take the shock to leave their yard, but won't take it to go back home. They finally put up a real fence.

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
LOL that BLOWS

I was happy I didn't kill the cat, but come ON! How many people in Lawrence have outside cats?

LaChapelle
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
It only loves you because you feed it.

Skip Towne
05-10-2009, 10:27 PM
These bitch neighbor girls turned me in to the landlord for my dog shitting in their yard. Now they want me to pick up all of the dog shit. What should I do?

Fat Elvis
05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
These bitch neighbor girls turned me in to the landlord for my dog shitting in their yard. Now they want me to pick up all of the dog shit. What should I do?

Call Hamas?