PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Observations from Sunday's Rookie Camp

Coogs
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/rookie-mini-camp-update-sunday-am.html#more-8716

Rookie Mini-Camp Update Sunday A.M.
May 10, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs wrapped up their rookie mini-camp on Sunday morning with a workout on the grass at their facility. All 33 attendees took part before the camp ended and they were sent home.

“I thought it was a productive three days from the standpoint of getting these guys on our page,” said head coach Todd Haley. “Today was the best day. The conditioning aspect was pretty obvious to me. We slowed the pace down, we did things different than we normally will do it, and that’s frustrating as a coach, because you want to show them the way you want a practice.

“But we were very clear with them that we made some adjustments so we could get through practice.”

Rookies can return on May 16thand join the team’s strength and conditioning program, but only if their school’s spring term has been completed. All but two players will be able to return immediately: draft choice CB Donald Washington and rookie free agent LB Corey Smith. Ohio State and Cincinnati do not wrap up their spring terms until the middle of June, putting both of those guys at a disadvantage as they will miss conditioning work and most of the team’s OTA sessions.

Some observations from the Sunday morning practice:

-The first team defensive front throughout the weekend was the 3-4 and had Tyson Jackson at LDE, Derek Lokey at NT and Alex Magee at RDE. Darrell Robertson was the strong side OLB, with Pierre Walters playing the weak side OLB. Jovan Belcher and Corey Smith were the inside linebackers.

- When the Chiefs went to a nickel defense, Lokey came out and was replaced by a cornerback. That had Jackson and Magee with their hands on the ground and Robertson and Walters standing up as ends.

- In one-on-one pass protection, Walters had a nice pass rush against draft choice Colin Brown.

- Draft choice Quentin Lawrence bobbled a throw on a slant pattern and it was picked off. When Lawrence did not run after the man with the interception, he got an earful from the head coach.

- Despite that, Lawrence did show the ability to snatch the ball out of the air when it’s thrown in his direction.

- Draft choice Jake O’Connell had a nice catch as he got deep into the secondary.

- Draft choice RB Javaris Williams showed a little wiggle on a screen pass that opened the team work session.

- Just because it was the last practice of rookie mini-camp that didn’t mean the intensity level was turned down by Haley and his coaching staff. They were very vocal throughout the workout. It’s a never ending drumbeat of calling for players, units and drills to be faster and quicker. If the pace was slowed by Haley and his staff, as he said, then the returning veteran players are in for quite a shock when it comes to OTA’s that begin on May 18th.

DeezNutz
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Lawrence did show the ability to snatch the ball out of the air when it’s thrown in his direction.

Thanks for the insight, Gretz! Who would have thunk that a WR would possess this ability?

Delano
05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
- In one-on-one pass protection, Walters had a nice pass rush against draft choice Colin Brown.

BUST! :D Game over.

Reaper16
05-10-2009, 07:59 PM
No reports on Chase Patton?!?!?! /slobbering MU fans

DeezNutz
05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
BUST! :D Game over.

LMAO

I'm not going to lie. When I first read it, I immediately thought, "Not good..."

KcMizzou
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
No reports on Chase Patton?!?!?! /slobbering MU fansWTF?

Fuck you too, buddy.

Reaper16
05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
WTF?

Fuck you too, buddy.
Oh, c'mon. There are some drooling idiots amongst our Tigers fanbase, you have to admit.

KcMizzou
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh, c'mon. There are some drooling idiots amongst our Tigers fanbase, you have to admit.I prefer to pretend they don't exist.

Coogs
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Here is a little bone for you on the QB's from Haley's Q&A from after practice...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05/10/qa_with_todd_haley__510/

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 5/10
May 10, 2009, 1:50:02 PM

Rookie Mini-Camp

TODD HALEY: “Happy Mother’s Day everybody. We finished up today and I thought it was a productive three days from the standpoint of getting these guys on our page. They’re all currently headed to the airport now. Most of them should be back the 16th which will really end up being the 18th for us. They will then start mixing with the veterans in our OTA’s.”

Q: Did they ever start to get it?

HALEY: “Yeah, I would say today was the best day. Again, the conditioning aspect of it was pretty obvious to me and when you have as few guys as we had out there and they reach that point then it becomes counter-productive. So, we slowed the pace down and did things different than how we’re normally going to do it which is frustrating as a coach because you want to show them the way you want to practice. But we were very clear with them that we made some adjustments so we could get through practice.”

Q: How did the quarterbacks look you had out there?

HALEY: “Again, I thought they came in and competed well and picked up the system. They enabled us to get through practice.”

Q: Are you going to sign any of those guys?

HALEY: “We’re discussing all those try-out guys today and hope to make a decision by tomorrow.”

Q: As it stands now do you have enough guys to get you through camp at quarterback?

HALEY: “As it stands, yeah. (Brodie) Croyle is the wildcard right now just on when we’re going to get him back (from injury).”

Q: When do you think?

HALEY: “We’re hoping that he’ll be ready before camp.”

Q: So if he’s ready you’re okay at quarterback?

HALEY: “Again, we’re keeping all options open and we’ll talk about these guys who were in here this weekend and anybody else who’s available or who comes available.”

Q: What do you think about Donald Washington?

HALEY: “Again, he was in the same boat with all the guys. I think he looks the part and seemed to pick up what we were teaching him and tried to do it the way we were coaching it. I was encouraged by Donald. He’s one of the late arrivals (can’t report until after he officially graduates from Ohio State in June) guys so what we stressed to him was that he’s got a big task ahead of him to not get too far behind. That’s a big issue.”

Q: He had some issues at Ohio State and was suspended for a bit. Did you believe that what you found in his background wasn’t a concern now?

HALEY: “Yeah, we already talked about Donald at draft time. We felt that we did our due diligence on all these guys and if they’re with us right now we felt comfortable with each and every one of them.”

Q: He can’t come back for the mini-camp in June then until he’s graduated?

HALEY: “Right. He’ll catch some of the OTA’s at the back end but we’ll have to do some extra work with him for sure to get him close.”

Q: These rookies have been basically coached by different coaches for a serious amount of time. How hard is it for them to switch to what you want them to do?

HALEY: “I think you just spell it out to them pretty clearly and what I’m preaching is there is not going to be a lot of gray area around here. We’re going to tell them what we want done and how we want it done. Then we hold them accountable to that. That’s part of coaching. You get players, whether they’re free agents, draft picks, or from other teams, through trades, and you have to assimilate those guys into how you want things done on a full-time basis.”

Q: You mentioned having to slow things down in practice.

HALEY: “Like I said, it’s frustrating for me personally because you have a vision for how you want to practice and the pace at which you practice. We’re going to be a fast-paced group that gets out there and practices hard and fast and efficiently. Again, we only had 34 guys and we only had three receivers in this camp, so if we were in any multiple receiver groups those guys were going every route and they weren’t in the condition that they had to be to be able to function. It’s frustrating because you want to show these new guys how you’re going to do it and what’s expected of them. So we just had to be clear them that they had to adjust this time.”

Mr. Krab
05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Tyson Jackson at LDE, Derek Lokey at NT and Alex Magee at RDE So maybe can just get this out of the way for the time being.

Tyson played the LDE or the more traditional DE position.
Magee played the RDE which turns into the DT/underTackle/3-technique

RDE/DT guys: Dorsey,Magee,Alphonso Boone,Ron Edwards
NT - Tank Tylor,Lokey,Ron Edwards
LDE guys: Mcbride,Tyson,Johnston,Alphonso Boone

Personally i think the Boone at DE experiment is over but you never know. I also think Edwards might be used at NT only because we don't have anyone at the moment. There are alot of newer guys that i don't know where they fit or even if they make the team.

RustShack
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
NT - Tank Tylor,Lokey,Ron Edwards

I'm pretty sure hes just there as a body right now, hes smaller than both Jackson and Magee.

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
- Just because it was the last practice of rookie mini-camp that didn’t mean the intensity level was turned down by Haley and his coaching staff. They were very vocal throughout the workout. It’s a never ending drumbeat of calling for players, units and drills to be faster and quicker. If the pace was slowed by Haley and his staff, as he said, then the returning veteran players are in for quite a shock when it comes to OTA’s that begin on May 18th.

This coming from an outside guy is interesting. Either Herm was a giant vagina, or Haley is a major hard-ass.

It's probably a little of both.

Marcellus
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Biggest thing I am taking from all this is that Haley is an intense MF. He wants it done one way, his way.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds. Sounds good so far.

KcMizzou
05-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Biggest thing I am taking from all this is that Haley is an intense MF. He wants it done one way, his way.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds. Sounds good so far.Agreed. Win or lose, the guy knows what he wants... and demands it.

Reaper16
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I like Haley an awful lot so far. We'll see how he is on gameday, but right now his intensity and forwardness are refreshing.

talastan
05-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Okay so are we to understand the the D-line might look like:

Jackson Tank/Edwards/? Dorsey

Dorsey was picked up as a three tech, so wouldn't he make sense at RDE? :shrug:

T-post Tom
05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the insight, Gretz! Who would have thunk that a WR would possess this ability?

Those that forget Sammy Parker are condemned to repeat it. :)

Raised On Riots
05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I prefer to pretend they don't exist.

You are such a fucking ass.

Spicy McHaggis
05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure hes just there as a body right now, hes smaller than both Jackson and Magee.

While I'm sure he is just a body to a large degree right now, Lokey playing nose in our defense isn't as far fetched as it may seem. The guy has great brute strength, plays with good leverage and Arizona played the 3-4 with a small nose in Dockett.

Now, Dockett's ability to penetrate is way ahead of Lokey's but it's not unthinkable Lokey has an outside shot. And hey, it's Rookie Camp, what else are we goanna do but over evaluate and draw irrational conclusions?

TEX
05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
This is what should have been going on when DV retired. Now, we're starting over the right way. Thanks to Herm and Carl, the last 3 seasons were LOST seasons and we're gonna be a bad team longer than we needed have been. In any case there is only one way to go...

salame
05-11-2009, 01:52 AM
I like Haley an awful lot so far. We'll see how he is on gameday, but right now his intensity and forwardness are refreshing.

yes yes yes

Raised On Riots
05-11-2009, 01:53 AM

Fuckin'-A.

PhillyChiefFan
05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
This is what should have been going on when DV retired. Now, we're starting over the right way. Thanks to Herm and Carl, the last 3 seasons were LOST seasons and we're gonna be a bad team longer than we needed have been. In any case there is only one way to go...

:toast:

Mojo Jojo
05-11-2009, 06:15 AM

It seems that DBowe has a problem with this ability at times.

King_Chief_Fan
05-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Those that forget Sammy Parker are condemned to repeat it. :)

this may have been posted and I haven't seen it but it appears that Oakland has no signed Sammie Parker..:clap:ROFL

TheGuardian
05-11-2009, 07:36 AM
The first team defensive front throughout the weekend was the 3-4 and had Tyson Jackson at LDE, Derek Lokey at NT and Alex Magee at RDE.

Something else I was right about as well. Where is that kcbubb guy now?

Tyson may slide over to the right side sometimes, but you can just about bet that he's going to play the LDE spot primarily. More often than not that's the strong side and they will want him to set the edge on that side. This also makes sense since Magee was more of a 1 gap penetrator type in college and they can use him as a cross between a head up guy and a rush guy depending on the call.

Chiefnj2
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Tyson may slide over to the right side sometimes, but you can just about bet that he's going to play the LDE spot primarily. More often than not that's the strong side and they will want him to set the edge on that side. This also makes sense since Magee was more of a 1 gap penetrator type in college and they can use him as a cross between a head up guy and a rush guy depending on the call.

In Kcbubb's defense, his opinion on Jackson came from Haley's comments on draft day where Haley specifically said Jackson would play on the open side.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Magee played the RDE which turns into the DT/underTackle/3-technique

Makes sense since he played 3T in college.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM

kcbubb was going off Haley's own comments on draft day. It now appears that Haley's comments were incorrect, for God only know what reason...

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM

It also appears, for the time being at least, that Magee will be a backup, because he and Dorsey will likely be playing the same position.

Mr. Krab
05-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure hes just there as a body right now, hes smaller than both Jackson and Magee.Yea, i just listed him because of the article.

WhitiE
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
this may have been posted and I haven't seen it but it appears that Oakland has no signed Sammie Parker..:clap:ROFL

why sign em when you can waste a first round pick on him.....

CoMoChief
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm waiting for Haley to do a Bobby Knight-esq temper blow up during a game. Kinda the same way Buddy Ryan did with his coaching staff while with Houston Oilers.

King_Chief_Fan
05-11-2009, 10:29 AM
why sign em when you can waste a first round pick on him.....

sorry, that should have said has now signed Sammie Parker

buddha
05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I've never seen so many slobbering idiots hoping the fifth round pick of their "favorite" team fails so miserably. A real fan hopes the players on their "favorite" team succeed... some of you would rather be right about how hopeless a given player really is.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I've never seen so many slobbering idiots hoping the fifth round pick of their "favorite" team fails so miserably. A real fan hopes the players on their "favorite" team succeed... some of you would rather be right about how hopeless a given player really is.

People didn't understand the pick so they don't like the pick.

I personally think the guy has great measureables and would love him to be the opening day starter.

KcFanInGA
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
LMAO

I'm not going to lie. When I first read it, I immediately thought, "Not good..."

I bet Cassel thought the same thing. :D

buddha
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
People didn't understand the pick so they don't like the pick.

I personally think the guy has great measureables and would love him to be the opening day starter.

I think you're right. It's interesting that Haley has said that Brown is competing for a starting job right now. I hope that Colin blows doors and earns a spot at either OG or ROT.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I think you're right. It's interesting that Haley has said that Brown is competing for a starting job right now. I hope that Colin blows doors and earns a spot at either OG or ROT.

I don't see him as a guard, he's built like a prototypical OT.

Chiefnj2
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm still amazed that Gretz loses his gig with kcchiefs.com and is now the best source for Chiefs information.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm still amazed that Gretz loses his gig with kcchiefs.com and is now the best source for Chiefs information.

The Carl suck was strong with the entire organization.

Mr. Krab
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I think that's more of an indictment on the lack of any real information instead of a recommendation about Gretz.

buddha
05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I see Brown as a ROT as well...he is as big as a wall when see him in person. He has the long arms and very good feet for a guy his size.

What's ironic about the folks who bitch about him coming from a spread is this...you have to have BETTER feet and a sense for pass protection coverage and pick up in the spread, especially with Missouri's three foot splits, than most other offenses.

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I think that's more of an indictment on the lack of any real information instead of a recommendation about Gretz.

I don't know, some of Gretz' stuff lately has actually been INSIGHTFUL at times.

I wonder if he was so preoccupied with defending Master Carl that he forgot to actually COVER FOOTBALL?

kepp
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Exactly. Had we drafted or signed someone from kU, I would be rooting for them to be able to improve the Chiefs.

milkman
05-11-2009, 03:08 PM

I didn't like the pick.
I don't see the feet to succeed, even at RT.

However, I'm hoping that Pioli and the gang saw something, knew something, that tells them they can improve his footwork, and that he becomes a stud for 10 years.

The fact that some of us didn't like the pick has no bearing on whether we hope he succeeds.

I gaurentee you, we all hope like hell that we are wrong.

And quite frankly, I'm sick of seeing these kind of stupid bullshit posts.

Raised On Riots
05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
I didn't like the pick.

However, I'm hoping that Pioli and the gang saw something, knew something, that tells them they can improve his footwork, and that he becomes a stud for 10 years.

The fact that some of us didn't like the pick has no bearing on whether we hope he succeeds.

Glug-glug-glug, damn you!:cuss:

OnTheWarpath58
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't like the pick.

ESTO.

DaWolf
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm really curious to see how guys fit into these coaches schemes. I have no idea what types of linemen Bill Muir looks for, what type of blocking schemes he's going to teach them, and how that meshes with Haley's and Gailey's philosophy on offense...

htismaqe
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I didn't like the pick.

I guaran-damn-tee you that there was a small contingent of people here that wished for draft picks to fail so that they could be "right".

Raised On Riots
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
I guaran-damn-tee you that there was a small contingent of people here that wished for draft picks to fail so that they could be "right".

I guarantee you there exists a larger contingent of people here who live for the opportunity to act like Ass Hats because someone takes issue with Jesus GM or his First Apostle.